Stories from your childhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 166167168169>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 05:28

Jaysus,

What a first post for me to pick on after a week off the site.

Sitting here in work reading all this with tears in my eyes.  Teresa - god rest her as Lenny said it sounds like she had a great time at the end and at least it was quick.

Bit over emotional, close aunt is having tests at the mo and its not looking good, but thats life isn't it.

Lovely memories of childhood from you all, I'll try and post later if I'm feeling less teary!

xgh

We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Sponsored Links

Lenny3fingers View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 03:59

Originally posted by eejit91 eejit91 wrote:

Yeah Lenny, what is Santy bringing you for Christmas. 

hopefully a nice honda crf450! but probably not :(

work. the curse of the drinking classes!

-----grover 90 - 96 ish------
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 03:56

Originally posted by eejit91 eejit91 wrote:

No not my Aunt my Mom.   Yep she got to spin the wheel and won a couple of other things.  She brought her sister over from England and they both went there for the weekend.  She even sent me a postcard which I received after I got back from her funeral!! My Mother was 71.  They had a great time there, my cousin came to pick them up on the Sunday and bring them to Ballina for a few days but she had the heart attack that night.

dont want to sound insensitve or anything eejit, but it sounds like she was having a great time before she passed, and didnt suffer!

i lost my father a couple of years ago tocancer and it was a horrible way to go. also lost my younger brother (22) last year which was also pretty rough.

he never got to go to the grove, but would have absolutely loved it. we are bringing his girlfriend to the grove on the 27th!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 03:52
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Lenny, you'll have nothing to contribute to this topic,seeing that you're still in your childhood.

Rolo.

jealousy will get you no where! :)

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2005 at 13:37
Yeah Lenny, what is Santy bringing you for Christmas. 
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Stevie View Drop Down
1976-81ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2005 at 11:25

Hi Eeejit91,

Actually had tears in my eyes reading about your Mom, how terrible for you -but what a way to go...I'm lucky too, we've had some close situations but both parents are here 73 & 75 respectively and I depend on them a lot.

As for Lenny, we shouldn't be talking about things that are too advanced for him..sure he still belives in Santy...schuuuh

Stevie

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:39

Ah right,sorry.

So potential EGM of ( can't remember what I called it on the other thread ) The Hopelessly Addicted Senior Forum Members ......... whatever could be a runner then ?

This is like when you were a kid on the phone " You hang up first " etc.

See ya later. Defo this time.

Rolo.

Edited by Rolo
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:33
Yep so what I mean is if there is any chance of him getting tickets for that it will be more like September than May.  I sent away for lottery tickets for the Rider cup just after the last one here.  I also wrote to them... The things we do...
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:31

But Ryder Cup's in September.

As mentioned previously,I've a mate in Edinburgh ( remember 40th Kilt etc.) so I hop over quite a bit and have got to several of the famous championship venues. All magic and good value at certain off peak times.

Actually got to St.Andrews on the Monday after Tiger won the Open this summer.The grandstands and scoreboards were still up.

Rolo.

Edited by Rolo
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:27
No but I am sure he would love to - he's been to the Carolinas alright and when we go home my brothers grab him away normally to the country for a few days.  Seems like we always pick the perfect time to go home to blend with a golfing weekend my brothers have planned.... by the way coming home in May by the looks of things - see perfect golfing time - he really wants to go to the Rider cup....

Edited by eejit91
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:24

That's like the old joke 'bout the fella who's Credit Card was stolen but never reported it to the Gardai 'cos the thief was spending less than his wife.

Has he ever got to Scotland to play,now there's a treat for a keen golfer.

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:19
Now and then - don't care much for it.  Get fed up of chasing a ball around after about 6 holes.  We live on a golf course, Martin plays with the lads and I SHOP!!!! I have about 2 handicap in that department!!!!Big smile
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:16

No only asking 'cos I've been in St.Annes for a good number of years.

Never got anywhere 4 though. 13 was the best I've managed.

You ever try it ?

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:11

Martin played on and off when at home but was a big soccer player, playing for Olten and then Lusk UTD. 

Took up golf big time when he came here and holds a 4 handicap.  He has a standing tee time every Sunday.

I'm a very understanding wife!

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:07

Yeah, funny isn't it.

When you're a kid,you rely on them for everything and here we are at 40+ still asking them to help us out with babysitting and stuff.

You'd think they'd done their bit at this stage and should be entitled to the bit of relaxation.

Having said that,they wouldn't have it any other way, 'specially the oul fella. He'd bring the older lad golfing a fair bit which he enjoys.

You said Martin was a golfer, did he play here before the big move ?

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:02

Rolo if only you had seen the church at both of their funerals, now you know Raheny church is big, well there was no parking in Raheny at all.  There could be no better tribute than that.  Mam died July 4th and I remember flying out of New York and the fire works going off over the hudson!!! Such is life...  Your lucky to have both of your parents, I say that to everyone who has.  Treasure them.

Edited by eejit91
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 10:54

Teresa,

For once I'm speechless.

With both mine still alive can't imagine.

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 10:48
No not my Aunt my Mom.   Yep she got to spin the wheel and won a couple of other things.  She brought her sister over from England and they both went there for the weekend.  She even sent me a postcard which I received after I got back from her funeral!! My Mother was 71.  They had a great time there, my cousin came to pick them up on the Sunday and bring them to Ballina for a few days but she had the heart attack that night.

Edited by eejit91
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 10:43

Teresa,

You're kidding, you mean your Aunt won a big prize on spin the wheel, went to Ashford Castle and actually died there. How old was she ?

That's an amazing story altogether.

Rolo.

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 04:30

Didn't think I'd have anything to contribute to this topic but when Ann mentioned Christmas and her grandmother in the same post it got me thinking.

As kids,we'd invariably spend Christmas Eve,Christmas Day and St.Stephen's Day at my Grandmother's house ( I'd say 'til I was about nine )  ,the highlight of which was her annual Stephen's night Party 'cos we were allowed stay up real late.Also remember Grandad cooking the traditional fry up at about seven on Christmas morning.

I remember the first year we spent Christmas at home,panicking in case Santa wouldn't realise that we weren't at the Granny's gaff anymore.

Same Granny used rent a cottage in a small fishing village in East Cork every August and the three of us and my three cousins would spend the whole month there being looked after by Granny,Grandad and a couple of Great Aunts and Uncles.This went on for about 10-12 years ,reckon I went from about aged 5 'til 16. My sister made some really good friends during these years and still keeps in touch with them. ( I was just a moody,unsociable little brat.)

I've tried to instill the same sense of responsibility into my own old pair,( I mean imagine being able to dispose of the kids for a whole month and them having the time of their lives ) but to no avail.

Having said that though,they're quite good on the babysitting front.

Anyway,that'll do for the moment.

Lenny, you'll have nothing to contribute to this topic,seeing that you're still in your childhood.

Rolo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 166167168169>