1968 - what was it like at the Grove?

Printed From: The Grove Social Club
Category: The Grove Social Club
Forum Name: Memory Lane
Forum Description: general Grove Discussions & contact old friends
URL: http://www.theGroveSocialClub.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=672
Printed Date: 12-May-2024 at 23:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 1968 - what was it like at the Grove?
Posted By: Taylor
Subject: 1968 - what was it like at the Grove?
Date Posted: 14-August-2008 at 09:41

There has been a lot of coverage over here in Germany and in France about the Summer of 1968 - student revolts, Vietnam, flower power, hippies, civil rights protests in the USA and Derry etc.

What was it like back then in Dublin and at the Grove in those early years - were those events reflected in the music Cecil played and in the clothes Grovers wore? Was the Grove a precursor of 1968 on the Northside of Dublin?

I vaguely remember my mother pulling me away sometime in the summer of 68 from looking at the fascinating sight of dancing, chanting and symbal ringing Hare Krishnas in Westmoreland Street; I remember men 'in town' with long hairy beards and pretty teenage girls in long flowing dresses literally with flowers in their hair ...

I then remember at my first Grove early in 1977 being shown one of the 'Last Grove Hippies' and there was a distinct sweet smell wafting in the air down the back of St. Paul's Hall and it wasn'r cigarette smoke.

I got to know that hippie later on at college - a remarkable gentleman who unfortunately became quite ill, recovered as best he could and is today a computer and IT wizzard.

Would be interesting to hear pioneer Grovers' memories of and thoughts on that Summer of '68 ...

-------------
The Universe is a void full of infinite possibilities

Replies:
Posted By: monarch
Date Posted: 14-August-2008 at 22:12
I Remember 1968 Well As It Was The Year I Did My Inter Cert.

Coming Into Summer Was A Time Of Particular Strife.

The Prague Spring Had Just Been Put Down,

Martin Luther King Was Assassinated And Later On

Coming To End Of The Summer Holidays Bobby Kennedy

Was Also Gunned Down,Remember Thinking There Was

Great Hope For The World With Him Although In

Retrospect He Probably Would Have Been The Same As

The Rest Of Them.The Grove At That Time Was The Same

As Any Other Disco As Music Had Not As Of That Time

Broken Down Into The Categories Such As Credible And

Rubbish.Though The One Difference Between The Grove

And Other Disco's Was Cecil's Willingness To Play

Albums And Singles Brought In By The Clientele.It

Was A Two-Way Street He Kept Us On The Right Musical

Track In Separating The Wheat From The Chaff And We

Brought All The Latest "Sounds".For Me The Music

Revolution Took Place In 1970 When All The"Head" Bands -

Deep Purple,Black Sabbath,Free And Led Zeppelin Came

To The Fore.

-------------
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in

Posted By: Bluebell
Date Posted: 15-August-2008 at 09:10
Great memories there Monarch 

-------------
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter

Posted By: Black Russian
Date Posted: 15-August-2008 at 09:28
I don't have any memories from 1968...... I wasn't born ... Ooh the joys of been young 

-------------
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th

Posted By: RoundaboutToo!
Date Posted: 15-August-2008 at 13:18
that's why 1968 was so good  Only messin' P 
good subject Taylor -
I heard Summer in Dublin earlier on the radio and one thing that stands out about Dublin in the '60s was the smell of the Liffey. everyone must remember that!
I remember going into Woolworths cafe with my mum and getting chips  then a milkshake.

will revisit this later as have to go.....

Posted By: maryi
Date Posted: 15-August-2008 at 14:58

TP

I remember the smell of the liffy in the summer - Ugh.   Unfortunately 1968 was not a good year for me.   I had an accident in Bettystown and spent 2 months in Hospital.   I do remember there was a huge debate in the Dail on Thalidomite and it was the first time that figures were given on birth defects ( don't know why I know that - must be because my mom was a nurse )    I remember being brought to Howth to go horse riding - fell off but loved it.   Could not understand why we could not get a horse and keep it in the back garden !!!!

-------------
mary

Posted By: Biker Pat
Date Posted: 15-August-2008 at 15:30

1968 was an interesting year.

It followed the Summer Of Love in 1967 and was the year before Woodstock in 1969.

The following are the No 1's from 1968, which I have from the NME dated 4th November 1972, where they did a list of 20 years of number 1's going back to 1952.

Starting in January 1968 and showing how many weeks at No 1.

The Ballad Of Bonnie And Clyde - Georgie Fame - 1 week
Everlasting Love - Love Affair - 3 weeks
Mighty Quinn - Manfred Mann - 2 weeks
Cinderella Rockefella - Esther & Abi Ofarim - 4 weeks
Lady Madonna - Beatles - 2 weeks
Congratulations - Cliff Richard - 1 week
What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong - 4 weeks
Young Girl - Union Gap - 5 weeks
Jumpin' Jack Flash - Rolling Stones - 2 weeks
Baby Come Back - The Equals - 3 weeks
Mony Mony - Tommy James & The Shondells - 4 weeks
Help Yourself - Tom Jones - 2 weeks
I've Gotta Get A Message To You - Bee Gees - 1 week
Hey Jude - Beatles - 3 weeks
Those were The Days - Mary Hopkin - 5 weeks
With A Little Help From My friends - Joe Cocker - 1 week
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly - Hugo Montenegro - 1 week
Eloise - Barry Ryan - 2 weeks
Lily The Pink - Scaffold - 5 weeks

That adds up to 51 weeks.
So either the first No 1 in 1968 or the last was a roll over from the previous year or into the next

I wasn't at The Grove in '68 but I can remember all of the above as if it was yesterday

-------------
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Posted By: Aries
Date Posted: 16-August-2008 at 14:00

Like a few here I "think " I started going to the Grove about 68. It was the year of my Inter cert like Monarch. We didn't have very much money but kept it all for the Pre-grove and Grove.I had just got into the drums then and went with my mate Pat Geary tot the Drum Centre in Camdon Street and bought an old kit for £30. At the time that £30 was more than a weeks wages and hard come by at 16.

We "practiced " in a garage off Ardelee Road ( very near Ciarans house ) every Saturday for hours or until the neighbours got sick of us, but always stopped to watch " The Monkees " .

My first girlfriend Lorraine Hogg made me a Rabbit Skin wastecoat and I let my hair grow for the first time , knowing I'd have to get it cut before going back to Chanel in September when Fr Butler would be on patrol sending people home to get haircuts ( see article posted by Ciaran )

Don't really remember the Political situation of the time cause I was busy in my own little world.

Did our first gig in the small church opposite Raheny Church and we were brutal to say the least. But it was a start. Went to the Grove about July or August for the first time and never looked back

-------------
THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST

Date Posted: 17-August-2008 at 23:34
Originally posted by Aries Aries wrote:

We practiced in a garage off Ardlea Road ( very near Ciarans house ) every Saturday for hours or until the neighbours got sick of us, but always stopped to watch " The Monkees " .

Aah Gary, I remember hearing the music coming from Gallagher's house that summer. One Saturday, the Band (The Celts??) played on the roof of the extension.  A great family - New Year's Eves, there was always a huge circle of people singing outside.

Taylor, there's a weekly program called Reelin' in the Years that highlights a particular year - I'll watch out for '68 and see what it's about!

Posted By: irish_mammy
Date Posted: 18-August-2008 at 15:22

Ah 1968....I remember it well.

I was 3.

Thats all I can say. No idea what was happening anywhere.

Sounded like it was a good year. I'm sure it was a good one for me.

I made it to 4.

-------------
Lesley

25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.

Grove 1980-1984

Date Posted: 18-August-2008 at 19:18

Jaysus IM, you're in rare form today

I was 15 in 1968 and like all the 60's years headlines abounded by the score but one consistent theme, was great music, even in the charts.

I'd listen to the Top 20 every Sunday and there would rarely be a bad tune in there.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Posted By: irish_mammy
Date Posted: 19-August-2008 at 11:58

rarely a bad tune for the next 10 or so years Pat. Not sure what happened in the 80's.............the music and the clothes

And don't even mention the 90's.

-------------
Lesley

25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.

Grove 1980-1984

Date Posted: 19-August-2008 at 15:37

Lesley,

just happened to turn on the tv last night and saw Adam Ant - Prince Charming..... nuf said.  

-------------
mary

Date Posted: 19-August-2008 at 15:45

Hey don't knock the Adam and the Ants Jeeez!!!! First album I ever got was Adam Ants

-------------

Date Posted: 19-August-2008 at 18:35
Originally posted by irish_mammy irish_mammy wrote:

rarely a bad tune for the next 10 or so years Pat. Not sure what happened in the 80's.............the music and the clothes

And don't even mention the 90's.

Bar a few songs/bands and John Fogerty's long awaited comeback, the 80's was the worst decade for music. Video took over and it's been downhill since. If you farted on a video and looked seductive you got to number 1

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 20-August-2008 at 00:22
I remember around '68, a huge animated neon advertising sign of 2 kids - 1 frying a sausage and flipping it to the other. It was an ad for Donnelly's sausages. Don't know where it was - my mother thinks it was D'Olier St, and the kids were nicknamed Don and Nelly! . Anyone remember it?

I also remember another one beside the bus stop in town, of alternating red & blue waves - the ebb and flow of the tide. Little did I know then I'd frequent the same Flowing Tide a lot in later years.

Date Posted: 20-August-2008 at 09:42

Does anybody remember an RTE Saturday evening TV music programme called 'Like Now' - I think it followed the Monkees - I still remember one Irish rock band - 'The Granny's Intentions' - with the black and white psychedelic backdrops ... I wonder if Cecil ever played these at the Grove?

-------------

Date Posted: 20-August-2008 at 10:52

Ciaran

I remember that Donnelly sausages add well, and your Mam is right.

D'olier Street. I used to wait for the bus to my cousins house and we'd watch the tumbling sausage for ages.

Taylor, Granny's Intentions were one of the best Irish bands around.

-------------

Posted By: rahenyman
Date Posted: 20-August-2008 at 12:30

Ciaran

I remember that Donnelly sausages add well, and your Mam is right.

D'olier Street. I used to wait for the bus to my cousins house and we'd watch the tumbling sausage for ages.

Taylor, Granny's Intentions were one of the best Irish bands around.

I am aftaid I must correct you. I remember the add was on the corner of O¡Connell Street and one of the quays. I was thinking about it the last time I wqas in Dublin. It was quite advanced for those days.

Dublin what a great old city it was

-------------
El Gringo

Date Posted: 20-August-2008 at 12:36

I was 11 at the time and do not really remember anything special. I probably started going to Sutton Tennis Club sometime in the late 60's.

I remember we would go to Wexford or France/Spain in the summer and I always loved Wexford. It seemed to be always sunny and life was easy

-------------
El Gringo

Date Posted: 20-August-2008 at 13:03

Originally posted by RoundaboutToo! RoundaboutToo! wrote:

that's why 1968 was so good  Only messin' P 
good subject Taylor -
I heard Summer in Dublin earlier on the radio and one thing that stands out about Dublin in the '60s was the smell of the Liffey. everyone must remember that!
I remember going into Woolworths cafe with my mum and getting chips  then a milkshake.

will revisit this later as have to go.....

I always remember going into town with my mother and we would go upstairs in Roches Store and I would have an ice cream with lemonade in the same glass. Roches was the 1st shop with an escalator and I would spend my time going up and down while my mother shopped

-------------
El Gringo

Date Posted: 20-August-2008 at 15:10
I can remember every Christmas my mum and dad would take the whole family in Woolworths and we'd go into the restaurant and order chips and fat sausages and beans and a glass of coke.......it was such a treat for us. I used to love Woolworth because of that pity they closed down.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-August-2008 at 15:26

I remember when they sold the best ice cream cones in the world.

Real soft yummy ice cream.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-August-2008 at 16:48

Chips in Woolworth's were indeed a lunchtime treat in those faraway days - as were 'Knickerbocker Glories' in Caffola's in O'Connell Street (ice-cream in lemonade in a tall glass ) - and travelling up and down the escalators in Roches Stores ...

-------------

Posted By: Blondie
Date Posted: 20-August-2008 at 21:47

As I was only seven at the time assume I was spending my time out on the road playing beds curbs etc etc

Great thread though enjoyed reading all ur posts

-------------
Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !

Date Posted: 23-August-2008 at 19:34
You're right Rahenyman - I asked my mum again, and the Donnelly's sign was indeed on the corner of Batchelor's Walk & O' Connell St.
Does anyone remember the neon lights on the Flowing Tide?

I watched Z Cars last night on BBC4 - I remember seeing it as a kid. There were only 3 channels - or 2 if the weather was bad!

Posted By: BrendanFella
Date Posted: 25-August-2008 at 22:46

Hi ALL,

Just found out about all the excitement here from my sister in Dub.I have been reading with great interest all the posts in all the Topics.I was a Grover from the start in '67 till '71.

After reading some of the comments about Harmo I'm a little hesitant  to say it....but, hey here it is....I was from Harmo and those stories about the fights are wrong...lol..at least in my day. You guys in the next wave musta started all that crap. I never saw one fight there. Now St. Paul's...Maybe there was one or two there

However, as posted in another topic I do remember the fights at Whelan's, Flamingo, Moulin Rouge etc.....Jazus, It was like a war zone going to those places which made the Grove so nice. Maybe it was the bouncers then....you got barred for almost nuttin'.

As for THE COMPOUND...No such thing in the 60's...WE had to do our drinking at The Sheds (Connolly's, at the bottom of Vernon Ave.)Are U guys telling me you were actually allowed do that? Jazus we had to hide the fact we were even drinkin'.

OK, Ok, back to me, I used to hang out in the corner up by the right of the stage..pretty regular. One of my friends even covered for Cecil when he wasn't around. Think he was the first person to play Neil Diamond there..(Brother Loves Travelling Salvation Show) and Crosby, Stills n Nash..(Suite Judy Blue Eyes) Nobody had ever heard of Crosby, S n N.

The biggest problem I had was The Clontarf girls kinda snubbed us. Jazus what do I mean "Kinda" They bloody well did.

It seems like most of u are from a later time and I guess the problem wasn't as bad. Yous musta been a lot nicer, but too late for me. I will admit the amount of gorgeous chicks was unbelievable and if I remember a "belt" sufficed as a dress...hee hee.

Well we did know a lot of girls that weren't as prejudiced against Harmo so we did OK....(If only we coulda kept The French from stealing our women every Summer)...Jeez, what did yis see in them?

Back in those days I painted a lot of the posters that were decorating the walls of the Grove. Jazus I wish I had some photos of them now.....Who woulda known, huh?, So if anybody has old photos....

Anyway, great reading all the posts and the memories. Maybe I'll make it back for a reunion and all you Clontarf girls can gimme a kiss for snubbing me back then.

-------------
BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

Date Posted: 25-August-2008 at 22:55
Hey Bren great first post and welcome to the site, keep digging and join in with the other topics too

-------------

Date Posted: 25-August-2008 at 23:00

Bren

As I already said you are very welcome.

Myself,  Monarch and Dayo would be from your era.

I hung out at the front left with Colm Mooney ( muttoneer ) Joe Harrington Lorcan Flynn ( Germany for years ) Lar Bacon and all the Killester crowd.

I think I remember the guy who painted the walls allright although it's a long time ago

-------------

Date Posted: 25-August-2008 at 23:07

a long time ago

You left out 2 words... VERY VERY LONG TIME AGO

-------------

Date Posted: 26-August-2008 at 00:01
Hi Bren,

I remember Seeing Your Name On The Posters At The Grove.

Can You Do Me A Favour And Tell Me What Posters Were

There As For The Life Of Me I Can't Remember. You Must

Remember The Old Enterance Up The Right-Hand Side Of

Of The Pavilion ,No-One Else Does Only Myself And Cecil.

B.T.W. It's Good To Have You Aboard Even If You Are

From Harmo.

Frank Chambers(AKA The Mad Monarch)

-------------

Date Posted: 26-August-2008 at 00:36
Hey Welcome Brendan, That's some great reading!  Don't worry, as some of the lads said, there are some visitors here from your time!
I didn't make it to the 'real' Grove, but when I went to St Pauls, there was no 'compound', never a fight either, and yes, plenty of gorgeous girls, and they still go to the reunions!!! 
Let us all know when you'll be this side of the water & we'll buy ya a pint in the Sheds or somewhere!

Being from Harmo, any chance you remember the anti- common market/eu/eec prices painted at the train station in the '70s?

CP

Posted By: Fester
Date Posted: 26-August-2008 at 01:46
Hey Aries was Lar Bacon from Artane? Down off Gracefield Road at the back of Mask Crescent there? If so he's a cousin of mine.

-------------
I could have played for Ireland (if it wasn't for the booze and the birds)

Date Posted: 26-August-2008 at 02:02

Ah Jazus,

I feel welcome already, Thanks much everybody.

Hey Roundabout, what's this..."You'll buy me A pint"...Jeez I am from Dub remember. So you missed the fights at St. Pauls...lol. That's only cause we'd get barred from The Grove if we did it there. Of course we didn't start 'em...we got picked on....lol. I left Dub in 71 so I think the EU was a couple yrs later. Hint: I did live right opposite the Harmo Dart (as it is known now).

Aries..How did The Killester group do with the ladies there? So you guys were segregated too...LOL. Seriously though I actually ended up w a very fine Clontarf Lady then so I'm only messin' to see if I can make them feel guilty...Go on tell me, I'm wasting my bleedin time, right. The Clontarf clan took up the whole bleedin Floor but made for some nice girl watching. I was happy just watching, Yeah Right...

I'm trying to remember the names of the eejits I hung around with so not much luck remembering your group....What do they say...If you remember the 60's you didn't have any fun...something like that.

Monarch: I remember the long wall on the right of the door on the way in. I painted a lot of posters but don't think I painted a "wall" so maybe somebody else did that. I think me brother kinda took over unless somebody else takes credit.

Mine were poster size paintings of the artists of the day done in a kinda "negative" style. Like Jimi Hendrix, The Faces etc.

Black Russian: that VERY VERY long time ago was spent paving the way for you. So hope the Ladies were as gorgeous in your Era. But then you were in the "compound Era", right? Jazus we drank enough but had to walk up from the Sheds so were half-sober when we got there...Jaz, to be able to do it RIGHT THERE...You guys n gals had it made.

-------------
BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

Date Posted: 26-August-2008 at 08:09

Fester-- Sorry but no. The Lar Bacon I'm refering to came from Killester Park.

Bren--I had a longer walk from Killester to Verlings, and back via the bicycle shed in Green lanes school. Mr Noonan ( X guard ) from St Annes on the door " Are you a  member--have you beeen drinking " and all that. Used to know some of the Harmo Lads--The Fays and Bones ( Skeletons ) Ever play basketball in Killester opposite the Church ??

-------------

Date Posted: 26-August-2008 at 13:08
Hey Brendan....welcome to the site, great first posts enjoyed reading them. Just wondering did you get to see the documentary about the Grove on TV? It talked alot about the grove in the early days and the posters that were on the wall too. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26-August-2008 at 14:57

" Are you a  member--have you beeen drinking " and all that. Used to know some of the Harmo Lads--The Fays and Bones ( Skeletons ) Ever play basketball in Killester opposite the Church ??

Aries...The Fays sound familiar...As for playing Basketball...jeez, that woulda taken away from my drinkin time....

Bluebell, I haven't seen the Doc as I am in the US. I was actually on the phone w my sis in Dublin while it was on the air n she promised to tape it for me.....Still waiting...LOL. I have 5 sisters, what r they good for?...hee hee. Maybe I could do a web search if U let me know which TV station n app. time. Was there ever a DVD put out on it?

Thanx.

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 26-August-2008 at 15:00
Bren, stick around and you never know we might be able to organise a DVD or something for you.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-August-2008 at 18:12

Cecil wants to send a big thanks to Brendan for the Poster Work he did. He said it made the Real Grove (he he he) what it was and very distintive.

A photo used in the Documentary features Brendans mate Derek Farrell

-------------

Posted By: eejit91
Date Posted: 27-August-2008 at 20:31
Originally posted by BrendanFella BrendanFella wrote:

" Are you a  member--have you beeen drinking " and all that. Used to know some of the Harmo Lads--The Fays and Bones ( Skeletons ) Ever play basketball in Killester opposite the Church ??

Aries...The Fays sound familiar...As for playing Basketball...jeez, that woulda taken away from my drinkin time....

Bluebell, I haven't seen the Doc as I am in the US. I was actually on the phone w my sis in Dublin while it was on the air n she promised to tape it for me.....Still waiting...LOL. I have 5 sisters, what r they good for?...hee hee. Maybe I could do a web search if U let me know which TV station n app. time. Was there ever a DVD put out on it?

Thanx.

Brendan I am in the States myself! Have a copy of the Doc also so if you want me to copy it for you I will try and send it to you. PM if you like.

T

-------------
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."

Posted By: muller
Date Posted: 27-August-2008 at 21:08
Hey Brendan, welcome to the zoo. I went to the Grove a bit later than you - after you emigrated, in fact. The Harmo lads were no saints - you remember the Englishes and the Comiskeys - my knees shake at the memory. I lived in Ennafort and was often a victim of their marauding. I wonder do you also remember a beautuful girl called Marion Moore who must have lived near you.

-------------
Life is for living

Posted By: Vinyl Junkie
Date Posted: 27-August-2008 at 22:11

Heya Brendan,

Welcome to the site.  Keep posting and add your comments to the other threads as well.

Cheers,

Mel.

-------------
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Date Posted: 27-August-2008 at 23:41

A photo used in the Documentary features Brendans mate Derek Farrell

Brendan - is Derek from McAuley Road? Very nice bloke, I'll say hello next time I see him.
Well done on the posters.

Date Posted: 28-August-2008 at 01:23

Aries, thank Cecil for the compliment ...maybe I'll make a reunion now that I know about them. I was going back to Dub almost every year for a while. Couldn't find any of the old friends. My local was the Horse n Hound but didn't always drink there. I kinda made The Dollymount Inn/House more of my local.

Eejit, thanks for the offer, PM on the way...By the way I wanted to use that name until you stole it....LOL

Roundabout, I kinda forget the names of all the streets there (Even though I go back regularly)...But if Mc Cauley is in the back of Ribh Road headin' toward the roundabout that's it. He was a milk man way back when. Yes, he was a nice bloke...nicer than us....LOL He was actually more me brother's friend.

Muller, I admit the Harmo lads were no Saints...but at The Grove we acted like Angels. Never got in trouble there but as mentioned earlier , not so lucky at St. Pauls.

I don't remember Marion.

I remember The Englishes very well..Basil?, And Johnny Johnson. After I left I heard they were all in jail and that Johnny Johnson got murdered. I escaped their rath, prob cause I lived right there...and they actually gathered right on the railing of our house.

I was never in with that gang though so I was lucky enough to survive the era. I was the peaceful type.

I guess I was more of The Grove Type....Peace n Love...LOL

As you all suggested I've been perusing the other Topics and leaving my mark where I saw fit.....Some BLOODY GREAT MEMORIES there.

So far I'm only up to page 12 in the Jokes...Jazus , there are some great ones in there.

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 28-August-2008 at 09:36

Brendan

Will do. The next time your home we'll try and drag you out to meet him yourself. You should get your hands on the documentary especially as you'll recognise your own work and a lot of the faces in the photo's. Eejit will get a copy to you I'm sure.

-------------

Posted By: Rolo
Date Posted: 28-August-2008 at 11:11

Howya Brendan.

Unfortunately...........or fortunately ( depending on your disposition ) The Dollier is no more as you may be aware.

Sold to a developer two years or so ago,and nothing done with it.

Rumours that the self same developer was going to reopen it as there will be no developing in the medium term.

Oh............and welcome to the madhouse

Date Posted: 28-August-2008 at 18:19

Jazus, I was in The Dollier on my last trip home. I thought it was pretty genious of 'em how they solved the "No smoking issue"..BRILLIANT...previously I had sat outside on their "Patio" but me younger bro said I'd be sitting there by meself as he was going "inside"... The Ocean Front ain't a great place for outdoor drinking late in the year....LOL

I was drinking in there before I left and right up to about 3yrs ago on my visits....I'll miss it.

-------------
BrendanFella

Posted By: ShortHairHippie
Date Posted: 28-August-2008 at 19:20
Originally posted by BrendanFella BrendanFella wrote:

Jazus, I was in The Dollier on my last trip home. I thought it was pretty genious of 'em how they solved the "No smoking issue"..BRILLIANT...previously I had sat outside on their "Patio" but me younger bro said I'd be sitting there by meself as he was going "inside"... The Ocean Front ain't a great place for outdoor drinking late in the year....LOL

I was drinking in there before I left and right up to about 3yrs ago on my visits....I'll miss it.

Bren welcome to "GroveWorld",yeah the  smoking area in Dollier was great,spent many a weekend down there as a teen,was the meeting place at xmas for all the mates who were home on hols,it holds good memories,sad to see it gone,and the grub wasnt bad either... 

-------------
upon us all,a little rain must fall

Date Posted: 28-August-2008 at 21:07

Oh yeah Sean,you are spot on, the grub was massive.

In fairness to Leo,he knew how to drag the punters in with good value food. Not a fan of the place as a boozer though.

Not a patch on HBs.

Date Posted: 28-August-2008 at 22:18
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Oh yeah Sean,you are spot on, the grub was massive.

In fairness to Leo,he knew how to drag the punters in with good value food. Not a fan of the place as a boozer though.

Not a patch on HBs.

Rolo,Leo Fitzgerald was a shrewd businessman,and he made a fortune when he sold up,so you cant blame him for taking the cash,and the smoking ban seemed to affect their trade,even though they had a good smoking area

l do drink in HB's myself,normally on Sundays,or after the Dubs games,will have to keep an eye out for you,

maybe see you on the 5th in Slaughtered Lamb ?

-------------

Date Posted: 28-August-2008 at 23:40
I was talking to Derek Farrell (mentioned above) today.
He has great memories of the Paintings in the Grove - Leonard Cohen was the first one, then Van Morrison, Jimi Hendrix & Ringo.
The reason the paintings came about is that posters weren't available then of the musicians Cecil played!

Hi Derek if you've popped in here & hope you can make it to Swords on the 5th.
CP.

Date Posted: 29-August-2008 at 08:34

If Derek Farrell is the Derek who used to stand in for our regular Premier milkman Paddy Brophy then I used to help him out at weekends collecting milk money and delivering milk in Marino when I was 12 years old.

It is a very small world indeed in some of these posts, ancient memories resurrected - I hope Derek is well - he was a really nice and generous guy and a cool one at that! When everyone else had shortish hair he had a stunning head of 'Marc Bolan' hair - like Tommy later on in Pat Egan's Sound Cellar.

-------------

Posted By: verh
Date Posted: 29-August-2008 at 22:41

Bren,

Welcome to the site  -  Enjoy it and have fun

-------------
Verona

Date Posted: 31-August-2008 at 00:03
Bren,

I Must Know You To See As The Dollymount Inn

Was My Watering-Hole Before Taking A Short-Cut

Through Saint Gabriel's On To Mount Prospect Ave

And Up To The Grove.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-August-2008 at 04:06

Taylor, Derek was indeed a mikman....a couple yrs younger than me as he was my younger brothers friend...they both attended the Grove same time as me.

Was Paddy Brophy related to "THE" Brophys from Donneycarney?..I went to school w the Brophy twins At Scoil Ciaran and then on to Killester Tech.

Roundabout, Great reason for the posters..I never even thought of that. Any posters done after late 1970 were not mine though..(Could be some by my bro)...I was 19 and beginning to feel OLD for The Grove...Jazus, who would think 19 was old? And then I left the country in May '71.....

Anybody else feel ancient at 19 at The Grove?

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 31-August-2008 at 04:22

Just to clarify a few things....

I was reading the news clippings here about The Grove burning down. Any reference I made to St. Paul's was when The Grove was still in St. Annes and had no connection w St. Paul's.....St. Paul's was a seperate thing. We had a hard enough time getting in there and then to be picked on by The Rugby players or whatever was reason enough for a fight. (I think most of it was cause the fellas didn't like us talkin' to "their" women")....lol

Back at The Grove everything was peaceful, fun, and all about the music n the girls. 1967-1971...great years....I was reading about The Music too so all you that loved Led Zep, so did we..it just wasn't our first music there....more like Dave Clark Five, The Kinks etc. But we did go on to love the same music as it was introduced to us.

A special Thanks to Cecil and Derek  for the new unheard of stuff to Ireland which later became part of the norm....(Derek belonged to some American record club and got sh*t nobody ever heard)

Jazus, I almost forgot PURPLE HAZE by Jimi Hendrix, When that song comes on the radio it brings back the whole ERA.

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 31-August-2008 at 10:06

Bren: I know that Paddy Brophy came from somewhere in Donnycarney / Killester - whether he was related to your friends I don't know. Sorry!

Thanks for your great memories of early Grove days - especially about the posters and the music pre-Led Zep.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-August-2008 at 18:13
Brendan - welcome to the site - Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

-------------
mary

Date Posted: 31-August-2008 at 23:57
Originally posted by Taylor Taylor wrote:

If Derek Farrell is the Derek who used to stand in for our regular Premier milkman Paddy Brophy then I used to help him out at weekends collecting milk money and delivering milk in Marino when I was 12 years old.

It is a very small world indeed in some of these posts, ancient memories resurrected - I hope Derek is well - he was a really nice and generous guy and a cool one at that! When everyone else had shortish hair he had a stunning head of 'Marc Bolan' hair - like Tommy later on in Pat Egan's Sound Cellar.

Taylor,

Derek is the milkman here (in Artane) Still one cool guy. After talking to him last Thursday about the posters etc. he dropped a dvd copy of the documentary the next morning on his round. I've only seen it once, looking forward to it again.

As you say, great memories here - thanks for starting the topic

just back from the Electric Picnic and there was an event (which we missed) called 1968 - The Year That Rocked The World.

Date Posted: 01-September-2008 at 01:36

Jazus Roundabout, Tell Derek to drop a copy off at my sister's in Edenmore 'n she can pay to mail it to me....LOL

Do they still deliver milk over there? I remember as a kid gettin' up at 4am to deliver milk on a horse n cart 'n then going to school....yaaaawn!

Later there was bloody murder w the milkmen when they switched to trucks. The bleedin horses knew the route and knew exactly which houses to stop at. Didn't even have to get back on....horses would know...bloody great. Ask Derek if he was pissed then?

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 01-September-2008 at 08:35

[Bendan I think I was the same. As far as I can remember I was starting to go to the Cricket Club at about 19 and slowly leaving the Grove/QUOTE]

-------------

Date Posted: 01-September-2008 at 09:17

Another thing you mentioned Bren was the "students" arriving in the summer. The place would be infested with them and they could "Jive "

They seemed to take up the whole centre of the hall

The uniform seemed to be jeans with a navy jumper which they all seamed to wear.

The girls were gorgeous and tanned ( Spanish Holidays were usual in those days ) so the foreigners stood out

-------------

Date Posted: 01-September-2008 at 23:14

[Bendan I think I was the same. As far as I can remember I was starting to go to the Cricket Club at about 19 and slowly leaving the Grove/QUOTE]

Gotta say that I never felt ancient at the Grove at 19.  Far from it actually.  Then again, I kinda took it to extremes and was still going at 26 or so!!!

-------------

Posted By: SUNSTORM
Date Posted: 02-September-2008 at 23:42

hi to all out there this is my first outing here.... first off i'd like to say a big hello to Brendan Carroll and all the carroll brothers . All very talented guys and all with a great sense of humour . Brendan  a brillant artist, Paddy talented but a little  lazy ( hope he's not reading this ) Sean  magnificent and Tony superb   a knockout and a great imagination . 

Brendan if you would like a copy of the Grove doc. i'll drop it into your mother's house or else your sister in edenmore   i'll need the address ... soon the Grove paintings full story   

Date Posted: 03-September-2008 at 00:12
Welcome To The Site Sunstorm,Good To Have Another

Mount Propect Grover On Board.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-September-2008 at 01:16
Originally posted by SUNSTORM SUNSTORM wrote:

Sunstorm,

A really warm welcome on board.

As said already a guy from the 'old' or 'real' Grove, no offence to St Paul's Grovers.

hope you'll love the site, meet old friends and new, share some of your stories etc...

All on this forum are real cool and Cecil is alive and well and still taking the mike at reunions.

Pat 

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 03-September-2008 at 02:14

Welcome SUNSTORM...whoever you are...I haven't copped on yet but obviously you know my whole family. Now I'm worried, what else do you know about me...LOL

I'll send you a PM with my sisters address in Edenmore.

Sorry to say, The MA passed away a few years ago and none of the family is living there at the moment....You're right about The PaddyFella, He was a lazy lump. Sean is doing well and in Ohio near me. Tony is still in Dublin.

The Dollymount House came up recently, that's where we had The MA's after funeral event. Would you believe that she had arranged with my sister that the first two rounds were on her. A lot of people showed up to show their respects. I'm guessing you knew her too..

OK, I might have you figured out.....

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 03-September-2008 at 08:13

Welcome Sunstorm.

As already said it's good to have some of the "Origionals " on the site.

Can't wait for your stories

-------------

Date Posted: 03-September-2008 at 10:49

Welcome Sunstorm!!!

It is great to have you on-board!

I am delighted you are keeping well and many thanks once again for having me on-board on those dark and wet Friday nights and early Saturday and Sunday mornings way back then in 1971 / 1972!

-------------

Date Posted: 03-September-2008 at 10:53

Cecil will be delighted your on ---Sunstorm.

Makes me feel good not to be one of the "Oldest" anymore he he he 

Altought I think i still am 

-------------

Date Posted: 03-September-2008 at 13:20

D

Cecil says a big hello

-------------

Date Posted: 03-September-2008 at 20:58
Aries...will pretend you're still THE OLDEST.

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 03-September-2008 at 21:33

Heya Sunstorm,

Welcome to the site from one of the younger members on the site (ok, I know I'm not *that* young but it felt good to say it).  Please stick around and share your thoughts and memories of your days down the grove!

-------------

Date Posted: 04-September-2008 at 13:34

ARIES WROTE  -      Anybody else feel ancient at 19 at The Grove?

l was still going to the Grove at 19,used the girlfriend as my excuse,

as stated ,my mates started going to the Cricket,and l slowly followed suit,the only appeal that place had for me was the bar..

soon moved on to Bruxelles ( downstairs ) McGonagles,and Fibber McGees,and Charlies bar sometimes,and Foggy Dew on occasion

not quite the Grove,but some great nights,and l felt "right" in those places,like l did at the Grove,probably it was the music they played, and the clientele they attracted

-------------

Date Posted: 04-September-2008 at 14:16

Originally posted by Brunswick Brunswick wrote:

Welcome to the site from one of the younger members on the site (ok, I know I'm not *that* young but it felt good to say it).

You got that right Mel .

Posted By: DAYO
Date Posted: 04-September-2008 at 16:57
Welcome to the site SUNSTORM and yes Gary is the oldest flasher on the site. Good to have another real Mt Prospect grover on here.

-------------
Dayo

Grov'in 70 - 76

Posted By: freebird
Date Posted: 04-September-2008 at 17:29
Welcome Sunstorm, from another of the younder members on board here!
I am sure you will enjoy the site, keep posting   

Date Posted: 04-September-2008 at 18:02
SUNSTORM,welcome to the site,its weird to be calling you new,when you consider l was only a year old when you stopped going in '74,l felt weird seeing newbie under my user name,because l've been going so long,have only missed 1 or 2 reunions/tribute nights in the past 6 years,have you ever been back since '74 ? well enjoy the site,lots of sound people with great stories here

-------------

Date Posted: 04-September-2008 at 21:24
Originally posted by monarch monarch wrote:

Welcome To The Site Sunstorm,Good To Have Another

Mount Propect Grover On Board.

Sunstorm,

Echo Monarch's sentiments.

I started going in 1972 and I'm very interested in stories from the 60's.

It must have been magic

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 04-September-2008 at 23:51

Hi again  and thanks for the warm welcome.... Just a few words to Brendan Carroll......... Brendan sorry to hear about your mam passing away i didn't know.. it comes to us all, in the words of Ronnie Lane  " life -its a short movie "and the irony is that the longer you live the closer you are to dying.

Just to let you know Brendan i dropped the Grove doc. dvd and some other dvds to your sisters house tonight ,also the same ones for Sean........if there's anyone looking for the Grove doc. dvd and they live in the artane /raheny /clontarf area i'll drop one in your letter box  providing you dont live to far out  of the way,i'm always out and about.....but i'm not going to any lighthouses or rowing over to any islands .....   Ok

Posted By: freebird
Date Posted: 05-September-2008 at 00:01
".but i'm not going to any lighthouses or rowing over to any islands .....   Ok"

ah thats a pity Sunstorm, we could do with a few extra copies as there are Four of us Grovers over here in Perth

Date Posted: 05-September-2008 at 00:07

ah thats a pity Sunstorm, we could do with a few extra copies as there are Four of us Grovers over here in Perth [/QUOTE]

OK,OK ......... But i'll need  a bigger boat.

Posted By: Sharon
Date Posted: 05-September-2008 at 01:05

Sunstorm welcome onboard good to see more oldies (no offence )but that Gary fella was claiming the oldie title for far too long, time he was taken down a rung or 3...lol..only kidding Gary u know we loves you like our grandads...hehe
Sunstorm I am kidding you will get use to my strange SOH around here the others have...I think...lol

You heading over to Swords for the gig tomorrow night??
Will be a great night I'm sure like all the other nites out cant personally comment about all of them mind, my passport wasnt in date for a while so i wasnt allowed outside the NCD line//hehe

Cheers
Sharon( not the oldest or the youngest on the block)

-------------
All I wanted was chips!!

Date Posted: 06-September-2008 at 02:00

Sharon, when you said...

(not the oldest or the youngest on the block)...you forgot to add...

Not The Brightest...LOL 

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 06-September-2008 at 03:24
Brendan you are lined up for a good walloping..LOL  or a whipping..which would you enjoy???

-------------
All I wanted was chips!!

Date Posted: 06-September-2008 at 04:11

Actually, They both sound pretty good to me.

I haven't tried that bondage thing yet but HECK I'll try anything ONCE.

The question is ..which DO you enjoy?...LOL...Jeezus, U Irish women have changed since my younger days..Bloody BRILLIANT

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 06-September-2008 at 04:56

Brendan if i told you what i liked ild only upset you so i wont

Then again you know your Karate so i best put me Hurl away and leave the walloping to some1 else as for the whip well its always oiled up..just incase...lol

-------------
All I wanted was chips!!

Date Posted: 06-September-2008 at 21:05
Jaysus Sharon,the things you come out with at 0456am , ha ha,your a gas woman,was great to meet you and the gang,see you again,might even bump into you in Dunnes   

-------------

Date Posted: 06-September-2008 at 21:09

Sean i hope i wont be in me PJ's when u bump into me ild be scarla...lmao

Sean once i wasnt coming out with them on the ride home in the taxi...ok i know i brought up waxing but i just had to ask him...LMAO

Was great meeting you aswell next time ill offer you that lift from Balbriggan..lol

Shar

-------------
All I wanted was chips!!

Date Posted: 07-September-2008 at 15:29

Welcome Sunstorm - another oldie but goodie.    Gary - they are after your crown.

Hope you enjoy the site and get to know old and new aquaintances.

Enjoy

-------------
mary

Date Posted: 08-September-2008 at 01:13
Big Welcome Sunstorm You're a mine of information on all things
Musical and Grovey! I'm sure you could rustle up a music question or two
that would have us stumped?

Ciaran.

Date Posted: 08-September-2008 at 18:50

I still think that Monarch may hold the oldy title.

I'm up there but not quite the man.

With these two new imposters we might have to fight our corner all right

-------------

Date Posted: 14-September-2008 at 09:14
Originally posted by Sharon Sharon wrote:

Sean i hope i wont be in me PJ's when u bump into me ild be scarla...lmao

Sean once i wasnt coming out with them on the ride home in the taxi...ok i know i brought up waxing but i just had to ask him...LMAO

Was great meeting you aswell next time ill offer you that lift from Balbriggan..lol

Shar

tanx Shar

-------------

Date Posted: 14-September-2008 at 10:54

You're right Rahenyman - I asked my mum again, and the Donnelly's sign was indeed on the corner of Batchelor's Walk & O' Connell St.
Does anyone remember the neon lights on the Flowing Tide?

I watched Z Cars last night on BBC4 - I remember seeing it as a kid. There were only 3 channels - or 2 if the weather was bad!

There seemed to be so many places with flashing neon signs. I used to go to town with my mother (RIP) and I would watch her bag like a guard dog. She had a habit of leaving it wide open, an ideal target for robbers. I loved Dublin city with all it's colours and it was a change from Raheny which in those days was very quite.

-------------
El Gringo

Posted By: claregraham
Date Posted: 18-September-2008 at 08:35

Hi my  name is Clare i was a regular at the grove then known to many as Easons

from 1965-1968 i knew Cecil Nolan well would love to hear from people that  danced to the oldies from the 60st in was a great time

clare

-------------
clarestapleton

Date Posted: 18-September-2008 at 09:04

Welcome Claire - hope you also enjoy the site - just one question: why was the Grove known as 'Eason's' back at the very beginning??

-------------

Date Posted: 18-September-2008 at 09:23

Hiya Clare. You are very very welcome on board

As one of the real oldies it's great to hear from someone who even remembers the word "Easons".

There are a few of us on the site that went in the late 60's and believe it or not I was talking to Cecil Nolan yesterday at lunch time so I'll be only too happy to pass on any message you may have for him.

It's a great site with wonderful people who have great memories in common, even though some of them never were in the "Real Grove "he he he    ( I'll be killed for saying that )

So don't be shy and have a good look aroundthe site. I suggest you have a look at some of the re-union photos's in The gallery and see are there any faces you recognise.

Tell us where you were from and what " crowd " you hung out with and we may be able to link you with someone you remember or more importantly someone who knew you.

Gary

-------------

Date Posted: 02-December-2008 at 00:24

I remember around '68, a huge animated neon advertising sign of 2 kids - 1 frying a sausage and flipping it to the other. It was an ad for Donnelly's sausages. Don't know where it was - my mother thinks it was D'Olier St, and the kids were nicknamed Don and Nelly! . Anyone remember it?

Ah! after a lot of searching, here it is! although a little lo-res..

Aries & Rahenyman, you're both correct - this is a piccy from 1960, probably from Nelson's Pillar ?, looking at D'olier St.
With a little imagination you can make out the words 'Donnelly's Sausages'

CP

Date Posted: 02-December-2008 at 09:05

Ciaran

Thanks. I remember that sign sooo well.

I had cousins in Churchtown and when we went to visit on the bus the 14A stop was facing that sign. We would stand and watch in wonder as the sausage went from one fork to the other.

Very High tec for those days.

-------------

Posted By: finno
Date Posted: 02-December-2008 at 09:18
I remember the sign as well. I noticed last week that Mc Dowells Happy Ring House still has their neon sign. My folks when they got engaged bought the ring there. They went into the GPO (in those days the gurriers were on the outside!) and pooled their resources to see what they could afford.  

-------------
A man must have a code

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net