The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Songs from The Grove
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Songs from the Grove

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Songs from the Grove
    Posted: 24-November-2004 at 07:12

My fav. songs from the Grove were; The Quiet Life - Japan; A Forest - The Cure; Will You - Hazel O'Connor; Rock Lobster - The B52's (I used to mosh on the outskirts of the mob to Rock Lobster as I lost several earrings in the commotion)
Sponsored Links

Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2004 at 11:23
Everytime I hear Santana or The Zombies "She's Not
There", it brings me right back. I remember that
single red light in the hall. I remember walking the
corridor with all the goths lining the walls with their
silly hair styles and pale faces!
But the one that really does it for me is Cyndi
Lauper's "True Colours", every single time I hear that
song, be it in a shop or in the car or at home, I'm
transported back to St. Pauls gymnasium, into the
arms of the boy who was the first person to ask me
for a dance at the Grove. I remember it so well. The
smell of his Suede coat, his hair, it was infactuation
at first sight! Just waiting for him to kiss me. The
small talk. More small talk. And eventually he kissed
me- just as the last chorus of True Colours kicked in.
Then "Lola" came along and ruined everything for us.
And that was it. We never danced again... Maybe
he'll be at the Grove Christmas special?!
mozz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2004 at 20:45
lay lady lay by dylan always " got things goin....!"
jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2005 at 06:08

I always remember, Come on Eileen by dexys mightnite runners. I cant the song, but always remember Cesil playin it at the end of the night.

I used to strip at that song! how embarrising now, but great fun looking back.

STPAULS 91-96

Oddjob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oddjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2005 at 07:40
Was it Blue Monday that everybody did that ridiculous dance to?
crusty View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
89-93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2005 at 15:38
I think that was rock lobster or maybe it was Blue
Monday. I know that they definitely did a stupid dance
to Rock Lobster! How annoying. And as for those
goth/ cure-head dances - circling round with one arm
half in the air and your head stuck to the opposite
shoulder as if you had an earring caught in the top
of your geansai!
Those were the days...
jenimcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenimcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2005 at 13:18

For me it would have to be The Mission's "Wasteland" (used to start the night going for the non-headbangers!), Brian Kennedy's "Captured" (fave slow song at the Grove), The Cult's "She Sells Sanctuary" and The Sister's of Mercy (which wasn't played at the Christmas Bash!).

Rock Lobster was great but there always seemed to be loads moshing when others were doing the 'arse' dance on the floor. Recipe for Disaster!

crusty View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
89-93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2005 at 19:18
Was Brian Kennedy ever played at The Grove????
jenimcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenimcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2005 at 09:09

He was indeed. Reason I remember is that I went out with a guy for a year while going to the Grove and that was 'our' song (puke!).

Oddjob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oddjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2005 at 11:42

I believe Brian Kennedy got the slaps from the Harmo crew outside the grove if that helps any!!

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 08:10

I'm from the 1972 ... era.

Too many songs to mention here.

Biker Pat

mozz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2005 at 08:45
cheap track - the flame. that was the ultimate slow-set tune i think. didn't know till recent years it was by cheap trick though. robin zander has an incredible voice. plus tom peterson co-invented the 12 string bass. a mind of useless information.... or something.
rasher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2005 at 07:57
Definitely Stiff Little Fingers -> Alternative Ulster
Orbital View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orbital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2005 at 16:44

First post here, didnt know there was a site dedicated to the Grove! So many memories from there! Some that spring to mind would be any of the Smiths or Morrissey tracks that we annoyed Cecil with until he played. Also REM - Stand, I think that one had a special dance to it! Also a Faith no More track? Rock Lobster and others mentioned already. Slow set wise, Stairway to Heaven stands out.

Colettemc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colettemc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2005 at 09:58

Favourite songs that I can remember are Eric Clapton - Wonderful tonight, and of course, Stairway to Heaven - ah those were the days!!!!

Colettemc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colettemc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2005 at 14:05

Other fav. songs Rainbow - Since you've been gone - The Jam - Going Underground & A Town called Malice - 10cc -I'm not in Love - Lynerd Skynerd (I never could spell his name!!) - Freebird, The Doors - Riders on the Storm - the list goes on and on!!

Bog Warrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bog Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2005 at 09:48
Poor Cecil tried to play Paradise City by Guns & Roses when it was released, all you had to hear was the opening strains on Slash's guitar and girlfriedns were abandoned mid snog on the bicycle racks. Everyone and I mean everyone would congregate on the floor and start moshing. It would get so out of hand that he would have to stop playing it half way through... I wonder did he ever get to play it the end???
Bog Warrior
'88 - '90
Eclectic:87-90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclectic:87-90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2005 at 18:19

A strange mix of songs stick in the mind: Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Sweet Home Alabama', Talking Head's 'Psycho Killer', even the (all to brief) resurrection of the Sex Pistols' "Pretty Vacant" in the late '80s. I think though that Cecil must've been paid off by Joe the St Paul's cleaner to play the B-52's "Rock Lobster" as it really cleaned all those cigarette buts from the floor for him. I'm sure people will say X or Y wasn't a Grove song but 30 years probably means that there'll be one huge musical anthropology to unfold on this thread.

After all it's an oral history -  no cameraphones then and no-one sober enough to have used anything either. And I know some girls used to frown about the rare-blue-vinyl-gatefold-edition tendencies of some of the lads, but at the time MTV Europe was relatively new and 120 Minutes (for the indie, goth, alternative scene) and Headbanger's Ball (for the mainstream metal) were still only blips on the musical radar screen: much musical interest and activity was a shared one at the Grove.

I suppose that fragmentation of music and commodification into ring-tones and so on will probably prevent anything similar to the Grove ever evolving again but as a historical part of Dublin's socio-cultural history I think it's something worth commemorating. List those favourite songs here ... 

crusty View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
89-93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2005 at 20:01
Not necessarily my favourite, but Lola by The Kinks
was a classic. It was the first place I heard the song,
it always used to signify the end of the slow set
during my era. You'd be just about to go in for the kill
(well, your hands were), then Cecil would play that
blasted song, ah well, let's see if we can make it out
to the compound or maybe find a free seat in some
dark corner...Everytime I hear it, it will always bring
me back, without fail.
wowo mama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wowo mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2005 at 10:47
I reckon "Since You been gone" by Rainbow will always be the song I remember when I think of the Grove, probably because I dont think I've ever heard it anywhere else. Love that song!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>