Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Grove Reunions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grove reunion 30th November,2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2019 at 21:39
I see a few posts already on FB from people, including Jackie Fagan (one of our regulars), who missed out on tickets. Cry
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Sponsored Links

Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2019 at 22:11
That's a shame Mel, as you say hopefully some number of tickets will become available near the date ...
One of its legs is both the same
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2019 at 23:38
Heather ("Stevie" on here) also missed out.  I know it's first come first serve and all that, but if it really is the last one, it's a shame that some of the gang that have been going for years *might* miss out.  Looks like our decision to grab tickets very early paid off.  Goes to show you - for all our worries of tickets not selling - they were flying out the door.  On the strength of ticket sales this time, seems a pity to end the reunions, unless that's what the lads have decided for definite - their call really.

On the ticket issue, I reckon some folks have bought (say) 4, for them and their mates and then a few drop off and suddenly they are back on the market.  Hope for the regulars yet.  Thumbs Up

I notice that Andy has updated his earlier FB post, saying that the 180 (max) is all there is room for and he also suggests that people keep an eye on FB.  Part of me expected a second night, when the Saturday sold out, to accommodate everyone but doesn't look like it.
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2019 at 10:36
as its the last ever reunion,I thought it would have sold out sooner,and have no sympathy for those who didn't get tickets...I was up first thing the morning they went on sale,to make sure I got mine.
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2019 at 10:42
Very valid point Sean.

When I was going to reunions I ordered my ticket as soon as they went on sale.

As Mel puts it in another thread here "you snooze, you lose".
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2019 at 10:51
Pat,I hear this crap from people I know all the time when it comes to tickets for events..."oh I should have gotten a ticket" or "no way,I really wanted to go"...well why the hell didn't you then,you knew they were on sale,what ye waiting for ? ...snooze you lose indeed
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2019 at 12:46
Possibly people took just took things for granted and assumed tickets would still be available for them or maybe didn't realise it was the last one - I dunno.  Like the rest of you, I was on my mobile on the morning they went on sale - just in case.  Just surprised there wasn't a rush from (some of) our regulars for the tickets straight away.  They're sorry now of course.

Edited by Vinyl Junkie - 26-September-2019 at 12:48

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2019 at 16:04
Inclined to agree with the above lads - like yourselves, I was up at 8.00 that morning, finger on the trigger for my tickets. I possibly got the first two even! Its just whatever way you prioritise things ... If you really want them then make damn sure you get them ... Like we did
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2019 at 18:39
You probably hit the nail on the head, Gerry, by saying "if you really want them"...as I said above, quite a few probably took getting a ticket for granted, as it hasn't really 'sold out' in years, except for St. Pauls.  Also, I haven't really seen ANY posts from those who missed out on the Grove FB page (or here!), so they may not even have copped that tickets were even on sale, or, dare I say, thought about it all that much.  They may have assumed (wrongly) that tickets wouldn't go on sale yet, either.  Either way, they're missing on what is (likely) to be the last, which is a shame.  I posted to three grovers (on a Whatsapp group we are on) the night before tickets went on sale, that they would be going on sale, but all three of them still missed out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2019 at 19:05
Cheers Mel, it's true what you say. I suppose lots of people (ourselves included) like the IDEA of going to/being at various things of all different types - gigs, concerts, football matches, festivals etc. Clearly everybody can't go to everything for all kinds of financial and logistical reasons - and so people have to pick and choose, and prioritise, even if that means deliberately choosing NOT to go to some things we'd like to go to...for the sake of being able to go to things we want to go to more so ...

...and so my theory is the tickets were snapped up by the people who were most conscious of the upcoming reunion; who most wanted to attend this gig rather than alternatives; and who were willing to make the time available to go click the buttons. I'm assuming time was the main issue here as, at €15 a pop, the tickets could hardly be regarded as expensive or out of reach for most if not all of us on here. There was plenty of chatter about the reunion leading to this, and so my conclusion is that those who wanted to go the most now have their tickets! That's not to say there are not others who, for genuine reasons, didn't get to order their tickets on time; but, in the main, I would reckon the 180-odd (very odd lol) people who most wanted to get tickets now have them ...

...so it's probably, overall, a fair result ... I think !
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2019 at 21:29
Ah yeah, I do agree with both yourself and Sean's comments re people making the effort to "get up early" to buy tickets.

If it's any comfort to the "regulars" who almost always go, but missed out, I reckon some punters bought 4 tickets for themselves and their mates and (on the law of averages), something always crops up that means that some of the mates don't/can't go and the tickets go back on sale from the original buyer.

I'm keeping my eye on the FB page in case tickets go on (re) sale, as I'd like to help some folk out, in case they miss their opportunity and/or miss the last grove. Hopefully, there's enough "spares" knocking about so that everyone gets sorted.

There were tickets (which were like gold dust) on sale for St. Pauls Saturday night in 2017, in the days leading up to the night.

I'm not *that* fussed about it, as I have my own ticket, but I'm surprised (in a good way) that the night sold out despite the fact that loads of regulars didn't get a ticket.  Don't suppose the high demand for this reunion will make Andy/Cecil reconsider if it really is the last?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2019 at 22:30
Yeah Mel, that's a big question - will they go yet again. The impression one gets is that Andy "might"!! For Cecil I guess it's hard to decide it's finished altogether - especially given the demand for the reunion coming up. If you remember he was saying to us he had reservations himself about going for an Easter Sunday; if it had been a different night would the crowd have been better? No-one can tell obviously...

... So I suppose we go along and enjoy the 30th night and then see how/if anything more comes from that...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2019 at 23:02
My own two cents and personal musings.
Cecil might decide to step down (as DJ) on November 30th but Andy may ask if we want to see more reunions/tribute nights.  Of course there would be a resounding yes from the 180 punters.  Then, *maybe* Andy agrees and Cecil comes along to future reunions as a guest rather than a DJ?

Having a grove reunion on Easter Sunday was a bad idea I think, and the numbers were always going to be down.  They were maybe not expecting such a significant drop off but people have family commitments etc., on that day, and it's asking for trouble to hold it that night.  If you had held the reunion two weeks before Easter or two weeks after Easter, you'd have seen a big difference, I reckon.  I hope they didn't decide to have the November reunion be the last one because of the Easter Sunday poor showing, as no way that is indicative of real attendances.

That said, it's telling that the tickets were sold out for the St. Pauls and "last" reunion this November, but, for example, you could still get tickets at the door at most of the other reunions.  That suggests to me that at least some choose to come along to the BIG nights but aren't as fussed about other nights?  Which I suppose, is why I am disappointed that some "regulars", who are loyal to the regular grove reunions might miss out on the last one?  The other reunions have all been great by the way, despite not selling out, but it's probably on the minds of Andy and Cecil, how the numbers would stack up if it wasn't a BIG night, if they choose/chose to go again?

Let me put it this way - if this November reunion was definitely NOT the last one, would it have sold out by now?  I suspect not.  Of course, I could be (and possibly am) wrong, and there's been a resurgence of interest in the reunions, which would be fantastic, and what we all want.  If that is the case, it's even more of a shame not to continue them.

Sorry for the rambling post, but I just wanted to get a few thoughts down, while they came to me.

Edited by Vinyl Junkie - 26-September-2019 at 23:07

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2019 at 23:07
Good points Mel, and they make sense. Will think more on it but nothing of what happens after the reunion is much up to any of us I guess. Hitting the sack early, in the final stages of killing off a chest infection but still a bit wrecked...

Will sleep on it and if any revelations come overnight we can discuss them tomorrow ...😊
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2019 at 23:10
Originally posted by Rahenyrhythm Rahenyrhythm wrote:

nothing of what happens after the reunion is much up to any of us I guess.

Yes, absolutely.  Completely out of our hands and that's fine.  Just thinking out loud.
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2019 at 09:03
Treat every Grove as if it could be your last one PartyHugBeerHandshake 
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2019 at 09:32
Lol, the best advice yet, from Joey ... Cos one day it will be
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2019 at 11:24
Yeah, well said lads.  Anyway, be seeing you guys on November 30th in any case.  Looking forward to it.Thumbs Up
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2019 at 11:48
Like other events: football, theatre, museums, clubs and the like, season ticket holders and members get first dibs at tickets before they go on sale to the general  public. We need to organize and rebuild a replica of the Old Grove on any vacant plot of land around Clontarf, our very own clubhouse, a place where we can meet on weekdays and chat about grove events, serve hot lunches, maybe even a small room at the back for Cecil to take naps. We could hire bouncers to keep the riff-raff out.
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2019 at 11:49
myself and the the Grove radio show crew are hoping to make the shows birthday an annual event,due to the feedback from our night in the Beachcomber...it wont be the same as a Grove reunion,but would be a way of Grovers getting together for a catch up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>