The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Songs from The Grove
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Songs from the Grove

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 23>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 09:05

It was the frist time we ever went in and thought we were the coolest going in getting a drink (a glass of beer) that is all we had enough for

It was all over the paper's the next day Joan's Dad went mad when he found out and came around to my dad .But they got over it.And we were allowed to go out to the Grove the next week But don't think we drank for a while Ouch

Kay Fagan
Sponsored Links

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 09:16

I'm going now to have my breakfast! You can tell what my priorities are.  This website, breakfast and then work.....

Something wrong there!

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
smurphette View Drop Down
86-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smurphette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 11:30
Wasn't sure where to put this post as the subject matter has deviated from the topic somewhat but there is a great website that plays a lot of the stuff that I used to hear at the Grove.  If you can log onto this site 'http://www.virginradioclassicrock.co.uk, click on listen now and turn up the volume, there is some good stuff to listen to while checking out this site!
Stevie View Drop Down
1976-81ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2005 at 09:51

'http://www.virginradioclassicrock.co.uk

smurphette-Thanks so much for THAT I'm listening as I type , so far:

AC/DC-Touch too Much

Rainbow-Since you've been gone

Mott the Hoople-All the young dudes

Steely Dan-Reelin' in the years

Peter Frampton-baby I love your way

brilliant stuff! next week is Supertramp week so I'll post this on another forum for those huge fans of Supertramp.

Great Tipoff-ThanksClap

Stevie

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2005 at 19:59

[QUOTE=Grover]No,Bohemian Rhapsody in the slow set and then halfway through gettin the head knocked off of ya by head banging ejits.

Hey Teresa, just spotted this now. Posted last July.

Bring back any memories ?

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2005 at 22:28
Not in my day, no trouble at all, do have some memories of two girls to see who were always getting into it outside the grove - one from Clontarf and the other Ennafort!!! never knew what the hell they were doing though... silly lot.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 18:36
Cecil's Top 20 slow dances of 1970

Whiter Shade of Pale-Procol Harum
Angel of the Morning-Merrilee Rush?
First Cut is The Deepest-P.P Arnold
Old Time Movie-Gordy Lightfoot
Je t'aime-A qeer French guy and some lesbian
Dock of The Bay--Otis
Unchained Melody-Righteous Bros
What becomes of the Broken hearted--Jimmy Ruffin
If I were a Carpenter--Tim Hardin
Help me make it through the night-Kris Kristofferson
Bridge over Troubled Water--Simon & Gar
White Feckin Rabbit--Jefferson Airplane
Long and Winding Road-Hey Jude--Beatles-(200 times)
He aint heavy--Hollies
Fire and Rain--James Taylor
Clouds -Joanie Mitchell
The Thrill is Gone--BB King
Tears of The Clown--Smokey
Dedicated to the one I love--Mamma Cass

and...the best slow song of all time
When a Man Loves a Woman--Percy Sledge--sniff!
Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2006 at 17:16
Originally posted by Pogue Mahoney Pogue Mahoney wrote:

Cecil's Top 20 slow dances of 1970

Whiter Shade of Pale-Procol Harum
Angel of the Morning-Merrilee Rush?
First Cut is The Deepest-P.P Arnold
Old Time Movie-Gordy Lightfoot
Je t'aime-A qeer French guy and some lesbian
Dock of The Bay--Otis
Unchained Melody-Righteous Bros
What becomes of the Broken hearted--Jimmy Ruffin
If I were a Carpenter--Tim Hardin
Help me make it through the night-Kris Kristofferson
Bridge over Troubled Water--Simon & Gar
White Feckin Rabbit--Jefferson Airplane
Long and Winding Road-Hey Jude--Beatles-(200 times)
He aint heavy--Hollies
Fire and Rain--James Taylor
Clouds -Joanie Mitchell
The Thrill is Gone--BB King
Tears of The Clown--Smokey
Dedicated to the one I love--Mamma Cass

and...the best slow song of all time
When a Man Loves a Woman--Percy Sledge--sniff!

Pogue...........have you become the "Oldest Rooster in the Henhouse"

All above brill.............
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Bluebell View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
1981 to 1984

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2006 at 17:24
In '82 he had added " Stairway to Heaven" Led Zep and "Women" John Lennon to that list....ahhhhh....such sweet memories....
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 14:25

Who sang Nights In White Satin.

Just heard the song and it is driving me mad as to who sang it

Kay Fagan
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 15:45
The Moody Blues!
xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 09:12
Never reaching the end - letters I've written never meaning to send........................................
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 09:24

Ever wish a bleedin' song would reach the end...........?

That'd be in my top ten.

Listen you lot, we've all done our favourite bands and songs. How about the ones you absolutely hate................

Easy one that...........Chris De Burgh and every song he's ever written,sung,listened to or even just thought about. Just hate him.

Lonely Sky my Aunt Fanny.

Worst Song ever written,that and the A Spaceman Came Travelling..............please.( And as for The Lady in Red.)

Rolo.

Edited by Rolo
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 09:30

Someone put the cake out in the rain!!!! sh*te if ever there was sh*te...

Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 12:00

Has to be I"I Will survive" by Gloria Gaynor and the 100's of other people who thought it would be a good song to cover.

absolutly hate it makes me cringe and my skin crawl

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 12:21

Yeah but what about Grove songs you hated. No way " I Will Survive " or the Cake Song ( MacArthur Park ) were ever played, while I do remember cringing every time that idiot De Burgh was inflicted on us.

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 13:24

The eye of the tiger!!! did he play that - don't like that if so...

Tara View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
89-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2006 at 09:09

I think it would be great if there was a CD released with the all time best (favourite) Grove songs.  It could be a double cd with, one cd comprising of songs from the slow set and the other cd the rowdier songs.  I think it would be really popular and money from the sale of the cd could go to charity.  I would certainly buy it and I know loads of other ex grove heads who would buy it too.  We all have songs that you might hear once in a blue moon on the radio that take you right back to the grove days.  It would be good to have them on a cd to reminisce.  You could have a poll on the website and people could vote their top five songs and the most popular could go on the cd.

Smile Tara

Tara
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2006 at 09:15

Tara you should pm Killian with that idea or crusty.... I would certainly buy it also and I think the bigger drive would be that the proceeds go to charity! I second that absolutely.

Great idea!Big smile

Tara View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
89-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2006 at 11:06
Thanks,

There was so many good songs played, but there was also some bloody awful songs played too. I started to go to the Grove in 1989 and remember the first time I went thinking I had stepped into 'Heaven'. All those longhaired fellas (which I still have a thing for) and great songs, some of which I had never heard before. It was my 1960'flower power era. The funny thing now is I am back every Monday night in St Paul's as my son is in a club that meets there every Monday night. The hall still looks the same but the corridor doesn't look quite as appealing as it did back in 1989/1990.

Tara
Tara
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 23>