The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Songs from The Grove
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grove songs played 1980 to 1986 approx...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2007 at 20:00

Originally posted by Black Russian Black Russian wrote:

Mel

Now that you have all the singles and replicate boxes. For your next Birthday I presume now you are going to get your wife to make you a Chocolate cake in the shape of Cecils records boxes with After 8 singles too

P

Mmmmmm, chocolate cake - that cake looked great!! 

TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Sponsored Links

Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2007 at 20:11
Thanks Stardust - its listed already (cant really stand the song to be honest, but its one I remembered).
hamptongrover1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamptongrover1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2007 at 21:52
Does anyone remember the slowie "Sometimes when we touch" by Dan Hill, that was one of my favourite slowies and every week that it was played god love any male that was standing in my vicinity becuase he was dragged onto that dancefloor kicking and screaming just so i could sing (murder) that song. God I really had no shame back then, that song or a male smelling of lynx oriental and i was hooked. Actually i dont think my standards have improved much since. However its now the smell of Davidoff Cool Water that gets me going I have gotten over the Lynx thing.

Edited by hamptongrover1
Shirley
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2007 at 23:28

Ah,but have you gotten over the song???  Yep-it was a goodie...I always seem to remembe it following Hazel O'Conor.

All out of Love was one I really enjoyed...and Something. Remember posting a story here before about that song and I girl I really liked.

(but one telling is enough)

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
monarch View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2007 at 23:43
Although not my timeframe

here are some Grovetype

songs that might might have been

played.

"Love Is A Battlefield" - Pat Benatar

"When Love Breaks Down" - Prefab Sprout

"Keeping The Dream Alive" - Freiheit

"Life In A Northern Town" - Dream Academy

"Black Magic Woman" - Fleetwood Mac or Santana

"Old Town" - Phil Lynott

Edited by monarch
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Evangeline View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86-88

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evangeline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2007 at 00:37

"Will You" by Hazel O'Connor was a big favourite of mine and Brian's...and still is to this day.

Jen

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2007 at 14:23

Has to be Changes by Black Sabbath for me

You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
DAYO View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
70 / 76

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAYO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2007 at 21:44
Naaaa         Changes by Bowie
Dayo

Grov'in 70 - 76
crusty View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
89-93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2007 at 12:07
Originally posted by hamptongrover1 hamptongrover1 wrote:

Does anyone remember the slowie "Sometimes when we touch" by Dan Hill, that was one of my favourite slowies and every week that it was played god love any male that was standing in my vicinity becuase he was dragged onto that dancefloor kicking and screaming just so i could sing (murder) that song. God I really had no shame back then, that song or a male smelling of lynx oriental and i was hooked. Actually i dont think my standards have improved much since. However its now the smell of Davidoff Cool Water that gets me going I have gotten over the Lynx thing.

You ask me if I love you
And I choke on my reply
I'd rather hurt you honestly
Than mislead you with a lie
And who am I to judge you
On what you say or do?
I'm only just beginning to see the real you

And sometimes when we touch
The honesty's too much
And I have to close my eyes and hide
I wanna hold you til I die
Til we both break down and cry
I wanna hold you till the fear in me subsides...

Or something to that effect! That's one of my favourites too from back in the day. That and Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper, not so much because of the songs themselves, but more for the mammaries, I mean, memories that go with it. I remember my sister had bought the sheet music for Sometimes When We Touch around that time, so I was getting it from all angles, there was no escaping Mr. Hill...
I'm not even supposed to be here today!
crusty View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
89-93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2007 at 12:10
Originally posted by monarch monarch wrote:

Although not my timeframe

here are some Grovetype

songs that might might have been

played.

"Love Is A Battlefield" - Pat Benatar

"When Love Breaks Down" - Prefab Sprout

"Keeping The Dream Alive" - Friheit

"Life In A Northern Town" - Dream Academy

"Black Magic Woman" - Fleetwood Mac or Santana

"Old Town" - Phil Lynott

Do you remember the video for Love Is A Battlefield? Did Vincent Hanley play that a lot on Sunday afternoon's MT USA or is my imagination playing tricks again?
I'm not even supposed to be here today!
Fester View Drop Down
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2007 at 14:12

you're right Crusty, poor old Fab Vinny.

They also played nonstop -

Michael Jackson / Beat It

ZZ Top / Legs

Alphaville / Big in Japan

Remember it used to be a great line, "you want to meet up tomorrow to watch MT-USA together?" 

I could have played for Ireland (if it wasn't for the booze and the birds)
Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2007 at 23:33

Grettings from a newbie but oldie!

I have a hazy recollection Cecil playing his version of A Little Help from my Friends

UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2007 at 09:53
Originally posted by Uncle Arthur Uncle Arthur wrote:

I have a hazy recollection Cecil playing his version of A Little Help from my Friends

Do you mean Joe Cockers cover?

Best cover ever a classic that stands the test of time

A man must have a code
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2007 at 15:25

I know it's been mentioned before,but wasn't it mad to see people slow dancing to either Freebird or Stairway all smoochey and suddenly for the endings a mass separation for the headbanging...

I do remember slowdancing to Stairway once with someone and just at that 'Dah Nah Nah' heavy guitar part I went to stand back and could feel her hands on my waist holding me in so we continued slow dancing for the rest of the song while everyone around us was headbanging like crazy-very weird but very enjoyable...

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Evangeline View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86-88

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evangeline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2007 at 18:39
Originally posted by finno finno wrote:

Do you mean Joe Cockers cover?

Best cover ever a classic that stands the test of time

Definitely wouldn't have been the Wet Wet Wet version! I just saw the on tv this morning talking about a comeback. In my opinion some bands should STAY gone!

Jen

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2007 at 22:35

He could have, Arthur - Cecil played so many tracks week in, week out, it was hard to remember 'em all....

maryi View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
74-80

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2007 at 22:37

I can remember cecil playing "close to the edge "(Yes) for me on my 16th birthday I can still see him smiling down at me with his thumb in the air.  It is still one of my favourites even after all these years (I'm 107 next april)

Mary (very much a newbee)

Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2007 at 22:40

107??? Good going,Mary-you're catching up on some of the other members around here...not me though,a mere spring chicken compared.

('Lynn...where's my senility pills???...')

maryi View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
74-80

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2007 at 18:20

Thanks Floyd,

Still getting used to the site - can't remember where I was last a sure sign I am 107. 

Edited by maryi
mary
grovefan View Drop Down
84-87

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grovefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 05:47

Check out the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOoA_bMKfH4

Had to post it after Cecil played it last night....

No suprise there then!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>