The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 - what was it like at the Grove?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

74-82

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rahenyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2008 at 13:03

Originally posted by RoundaboutToo! RoundaboutToo! wrote:

that's why 1968 was so good  Only messin' P 
good subject Taylor -
I heard Summer in Dublin earlier on the radio and one thing that stands out about Dublin in the '60s was the smell of the Liffey. everyone must remember that!
I remember going into Woolworths cafe with my mum and getting chips  then a milkshake.

will revisit this later as have to go.....

I always remember going into town with my mother and we would go upstairs in Roches Store and I would have an ice cream with lemonade in the same glass. Roches was the 1st shop with an escalator and I would spend my time going up and down while my mother shopped

Edited by rahenyman
El Gringo
Sponsored Links

Bluebell View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
1981 to 1984

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2008 at 15:10
I can remember every Christmas my mum and dad would take the whole family in Woolworths and we'd go into the restaurant and order chips and fat sausages and beans and a glass of coke.......it was such a treat for us. I used to love Woolworth because of that pity they closed down.
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
Aries View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2008 at 15:26

I remember when they sold the best ice cream cones in the world.

Real soft yummy ice cream.

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
Taylor View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
77-80ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2008 at 16:48

Chips in Woolworth's were indeed a lunchtime treat in those faraway days - as were 'Knickerbocker Glories' in Caffola's in O'Connell Street (ice-cream in lemonade in a tall glass ) - and travelling up and down the escalators in Roches Stores ...

Edited by Taylor
The Universe is a void full of infinite possibilities
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2008 at 21:47

As I was only seven at the time assume I was spending my time out on the road playing beds curbs etc etc

Great thread though enjoyed reading all ur posts

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
RoundaboutToo! View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
’75-’79 and ’06 - present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundaboutToo! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2008 at 19:34
You're right Rahenyman - I asked my mum again, and the Donnelly's sign was indeed on the corner of Batchelor's Walk & O' Connell St.
Does anyone remember the neon lights on the Flowing Tide?

I watched Z Cars last night on BBC4 - I remember seeing it as a kid. There were only 3 channels - or 2 if the weather was bad!

BrendanFella View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2008 at 22:46

Hi ALL,

Just found out about all the excitement here from my sister in Dub.I have been reading with great interest all the posts in all the Topics.I was a Grover from the start in '67 till '71.

After reading some of the comments about Harmo I'm a little hesitant  to say it....but, hey here it is....I was from Harmo and those stories about the fights are wrong...lol..at least in my day. You guys in the next wave musta started all that crap. I never saw one fight there. Now St. Paul's...Maybe there was one or two there

However, as posted in another topic I do remember the fights at Whelan's, Flamingo, Moulin Rouge etc.....Jazus, It was like a war zone going to those places which made the Grove so nice. Maybe it was the bouncers then....you got barred for almost nuttin'.

As for THE COMPOUND...No such thing in the 60's...WE had to do our drinking at The Sheds (Connolly's, at the bottom of Vernon Ave.)Are U guys telling me you were actually allowed do that? Jazus we had to hide the fact we were even drinkin'.

OK, Ok, back to me, I used to hang out in the corner up by the right of the stage..pretty regular. One of my friends even covered for Cecil when he wasn't around. Think he was the first person to play Neil Diamond there..(Brother Loves Travelling Salvation Show) and Crosby, Stills n Nash..(Suite Judy Blue Eyes) Nobody had ever heard of Crosby, S n N.

The biggest problem I had was The Clontarf girls kinda snubbed us. Jazus what do I mean "Kinda" They bloody well did.

It seems like most of u are from a later time and I guess the problem wasn't as bad. Yous musta been a lot nicer, but too late for me. I will admit the amount of gorgeous chicks was unbelievable and if I remember a "belt" sufficed as a dress...hee hee.

Well we did know a lot of girls that weren't as prejudiced against Harmo so we did OK....(If only we coulda kept The French from stealing our women every Summer)...Jeez, what did yis see in them?

Back in those days I painted a lot of the posters that were decorating the walls of the Grove. Jazus I wish I had some photos of them now.....Who woulda known, huh?, So if anybody has old photos....

Anyway, great reading all the posts and the memories. Maybe I'll make it back for a reunion and all you Clontarf girls can gimme a kiss for snubbing me back then.

BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2008 at 22:55
Hey Bren great first post and welcome to the site, keep digging and join in with the other topics too
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2008 at 23:00

Bren

As I already said you are very welcome.

Myself,  Monarch and Dayo would be from your era.

I hung out at the front left with Colm Mooney ( muttoneer ) Joe Harrington Lorcan Flynn ( Germany for years ) Lar Bacon and all the Killester crowd.

I think I remember the guy who painted the walls allright although it's a long time ago

86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2008 at 23:07
Originally posted by Aries Aries wrote:

a long time ago

You left out 2 words... VERY VERY LONG TIME AGO

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2008 at 00:01
Hi Bren,

I remember Seeing Your Name On The Posters At The Grove.

Can You Do Me A Favour And Tell Me What Posters Were

There As For The Life Of Me I Can't Remember. You Must

Remember The Old Enterance Up The Right-Hand Side Of

Of The Pavilion ,No-One Else Does Only Myself And Cecil.

B.T.W. It's Good To Have You Aboard Even If You Are

From Harmo.

Frank Chambers(AKA The Mad Monarch)
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
RoundaboutToo! View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
’75-’79 and ’06 - present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundaboutToo! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2008 at 00:36
Hey Welcome Brendan, That's some great reading!  Don't worry, as some of the lads said, there are some visitors here from your time!
I didn't make it to the 'real' Grove, but when I went to St Pauls, there was no 'compound', never a fight either, and yes, plenty of gorgeous girls, and they still go to the reunions!!! 
Let us all know when you'll be this side of the water & we'll buy ya a pint in the Sheds or somewhere!

Being from Harmo, any chance you remember the anti- common market/eu/eec prices painted at the train station in the '70s?

CP
Fester View Drop Down
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2008 at 01:46
Hey Aries was Lar Bacon from Artane? Down off Gracefield Road at the back of Mask Crescent there? If so he's a cousin of mine.
I could have played for Ireland (if it wasn't for the booze and the birds)
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2008 at 02:02

Ah Jazus,

I feel welcome already, Thanks much everybody.

Hey Roundabout, what's this..."You'll buy me A pint"...Jeez I am from Dub remember. So you missed the fights at St. Pauls...lol. That's only cause we'd get barred from The Grove if we did it there. Of course we didn't start 'em...we got picked on....lol. I left Dub in 71 so I think the EU was a couple yrs later. Hint: I did live right opposite the Harmo Dart (as it is known now).

Aries..How did The Killester group do with the ladies there? So you guys were segregated too...LOL. Seriously though I actually ended up w a very fine Clontarf Lady then so I'm only messin' to see if I can make them feel guilty...Go on tell me, I'm wasting my bleedin time, right. The Clontarf clan took up the whole bleedin Floor but made for some nice girl watching. I was happy just watching, Yeah Right...

I'm trying to remember the names of the eejits I hung around with so not much luck remembering your group....What do they say...If you remember the 60's you didn't have any fun...something like that.

Monarch: I remember the long wall on the right of the door on the way in. I painted a lot of posters but don't think I painted a "wall" so maybe somebody else did that. I think me brother kinda took over unless somebody else takes credit.

Mine were poster size paintings of the artists of the day done in a kinda "negative" style. Like Jimi Hendrix, The Faces etc.

Black Russian: that VERY VERY long time ago was spent paving the way for you. So hope the Ladies were as gorgeous in your Era. But then you were in the "compound Era", right? Jazus we drank enough but had to walk up from the Sheds so were half-sober when we got there...Jaz, to be able to do it RIGHT THERE...You guys n gals had it made.

BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2008 at 08:09

Fester-- Sorry but no. The Lar Bacon I'm refering to came from Killester Park.

Bren--I had a longer walk from Killester to Verlings, and back via the bicycle shed in Green lanes school. Mr Noonan ( X guard ) from St Annes on the door " Are you a  member--have you beeen drinking " and all that. Used to know some of the Harmo Lads--The Fays and Bones ( Skeletons ) Ever play basketball in Killester opposite the Church ??

Bluebell View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
1981 to 1984

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2008 at 13:08
Hey Brendan....welcome to the site, great first posts enjoyed reading them. Just wondering did you get to see the documentary about the Grove on TV? It talked alot about the grove in the early days and the posters that were on the wall too. 
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2008 at 14:57

" Are you a  member--have you beeen drinking " and all that. Used to know some of the Harmo Lads--The Fays and Bones ( Skeletons ) Ever play basketball in Killester opposite the Church ??

Aries...The Fays sound familiar...As for playing Basketball...jeez, that woulda taken away from my drinkin time....

Bluebell, I haven't seen the Doc as I am in the US. I was actually on the phone w my sis in Dublin while it was on the air n she promised to tape it for me.....Still waiting...LOL. I have 5 sisters, what r they good for?...hee hee. Maybe I could do a web search if U let me know which TV station n app. time. Was there ever a DVD put out on it?

Thanx.

BrendanFella

86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2008 at 15:00
Bren, stick around and you never know we might be able to organise a DVD or something for you.

Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2008 at 18:12

Cecil wants to send a big thanks to Brendan for the Poster Work he did. He said it made the Real Grove (he he he) what it was and very distintive.

A photo used in the Documentary features Brendans mate Derek Farrell

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2008 at 20:31
Originally posted by BrendanFella BrendanFella wrote:

" Are you a  member--have you beeen drinking " and all that. Used to know some of the Harmo Lads--The Fays and Bones ( Skeletons ) Ever play basketball in Killester opposite the Church ??

Aries...The Fays sound familiar...As for playing Basketball...jeez, that woulda taken away from my drinkin time....

Bluebell, I haven't seen the Doc as I am in the US. I was actually on the phone w my sis in Dublin while it was on the air n she promised to tape it for me.....Still waiting...LOL. I have 5 sisters, what r they good for?...hee hee. Maybe I could do a web search if U let me know which TV station n app. time. Was there ever a DVD put out on it?

Thanx.

Brendan I am in the States myself! Have a copy of the Doc also so if you want me to copy it for you I will try and send it to you. PM if you like.

T

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>