Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 - what was it like at the Grove?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2008 at 21:08
Hey Brendan, welcome to the zoo. I went to the Grove a bit later than you - after you emigrated, in fact. The Harmo lads were no saints - you remember the Englishes and the Comiskeys - my knees shake at the memory. I lived in Ennafort and was often a victim of their marauding. I wonder do you also remember a beautuful girl called Marion Moore who must have lived near you.
Life is for living
Sponsored Links

Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2008 at 22:11

Heya Brendan,

Welcome to the site.  Keep posting and add your comments to the other threads as well.

Cheers,

Mel.

TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
RoundaboutToo! View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
’75-’79 and ’06 - present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundaboutToo! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2008 at 23:41
Originally posted by Aries Aries wrote:

A photo used in the Documentary features Brendans mate Derek Farrell

Brendan - is Derek from McAuley Road? Very nice bloke, I'll say hello next time I see him.
Well done on the posters.
BrendanFella View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2008 at 01:23

Aries, thank Cecil for the compliment ...maybe I'll make a reunion now that I know about them. I was going back to Dub almost every year for a while. Couldn't find any of the old friends. My local was the Horse n Hound but didn't always drink there. I kinda made The Dollymount Inn/House more of my local.

Eejit, thanks for the offer, PM on the way...By the way I wanted to use that name until you stole it....LOL

Roundabout, I kinda forget the names of all the streets there (Even though I go back regularly)...But if Mc Cauley is in the back of Ribh Road headin' toward the roundabout that's it. He was a milk man way back when. Yes, he was a nice bloke...nicer than us....LOL He was actually more me brother's friend.

Muller, I admit the Harmo lads were no Saints...but at The Grove we acted like Angels. Never got in trouble there but as mentioned earlier , not so lucky at St. Pauls.

I don't remember Marion.

I remember The Englishes very well..Basil?, And Johnny Johnson. After I left I heard they were all in jail and that Johnny Johnson got murdered. I escaped their rath, prob cause I lived right there...and they actually gathered right on the railing of our house.

I was never in with that gang though so I was lucky enough to survive the era. I was the peaceful type.

I guess I was more of The Grove Type....Peace n Love...LOL

As you all suggested I've been perusing the other Topics and leaving my mark where I saw fit.....Some BLOODY GREAT MEMORIES there.

So far I'm only up to page 12 in the Jokes...Jazus , there are some great ones in there.

BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

Aries View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2008 at 09:36

Brendan

Will do. The next time your home we'll try and drag you out to meet him yourself. You should get your hands on the documentary especially as you'll recognise your own work and a lot of the faces in the photo's. Eejit will get a copy to you I'm sure.

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2008 at 11:11

Howya Brendan.

Unfortunately...........or fortunately ( depending on your disposition ) The Dollier is no more as you may be aware.

Sold to a developer two years or so ago,and nothing done with it.

Rumours that the self same developer was going to reopen it as there will be no developing in the medium term.

Oh............and welcome to the madhouse

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2008 at 18:19

Jazus, I was in The Dollier on my last trip home. I thought it was pretty genious of 'em how they solved the "No smoking issue"..BRILLIANT...previously I had sat outside on their "Patio" but me younger bro said I'd be sitting there by meself as he was going "inside"... The Ocean Front ain't a great place for outdoor drinking late in the year....LOL

I was drinking in there before I left and right up to about 3yrs ago on my visits....I'll miss it.

BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2008 at 19:20
Originally posted by BrendanFella BrendanFella wrote:

Jazus, I was in The Dollier on my last trip home. I thought it was pretty genious of 'em how they solved the "No smoking issue"..BRILLIANT...previously I had sat outside on their "Patio" but me younger bro said I'd be sitting there by meself as he was going "inside"... The Ocean Front ain't a great place for outdoor drinking late in the year....LOL

I was drinking in there before I left and right up to about 3yrs ago on my visits....I'll miss it.

Bren welcome to "GroveWorld",yeah the  smoking area in Dollier was great,spent many a weekend down there as a teen,was the meeting place at xmas for all the mates who were home on hols,it holds good memories,sad to see it gone,and the grub wasnt bad either... 

upon us all,a little rain must fall
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2008 at 21:07

Oh yeah Sean,you are spot on, the grub was massive.

In fairness to Leo,he knew how to drag the punters in with good value food. Not a fan of the place as a boozer though.

Not a patch on HBs.

ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2008 at 22:18
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Oh yeah Sean,you are spot on, the grub was massive.

In fairness to Leo,he knew how to drag the punters in with good value food. Not a fan of the place as a boozer though.

Not a patch on HBs.

Rolo,Leo Fitzgerald was a shrewd businessman,and he made a fortune when he sold up,so you cant blame him for taking the cash,and the smoking ban seemed to affect their trade,even though they had a good smoking area

l do drink in HB's myself,normally on Sundays,or after the Dubs games,will have to keep an eye out for you,

maybe see you on the 5th in Slaughtered Lamb ?

upon us all,a little rain must fall
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundaboutToo! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2008 at 23:40
I was talking to Derek Farrell (mentioned above) today.
He has great memories of the Paintings in the Grove - Leonard Cohen was the first one, then Van Morrison, Jimi Hendrix & Ringo.
The reason the paintings came about is that posters weren't available then of the musicians Cecil played!

Hi Derek if you've popped in here & hope you can make it to Swords on the 5th.
CP.
Taylor View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
77-80ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2008 at 08:34

If Derek Farrell is the Derek who used to stand in for our regular Premier milkman Paddy Brophy then I used to help him out at weekends collecting milk money and delivering milk in Marino when I was 12 years old.

It is a very small world indeed in some of these posts, ancient memories resurrected - I hope Derek is well - he was a really nice and generous guy and a cool one at that! When everyone else had shortish hair he had a stunning head of 'Marc Bolan' hair - like Tommy later on in Pat Egan's Sound Cellar.

Edited by Taylor
The Universe is a void full of infinite possibilities
verh View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2008 at 22:41

Bren,

Welcome to the site  -  Enjoy it and have fun

Verona
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2008 at 00:03
Bren,

I Must Know You To See As The Dollymount Inn

Was My Watering-Hole Before Taking A Short-Cut

Through Saint Gabriel's On To Mount Prospect Ave

And Up To The Grove.

Edited by monarch
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2008 at 04:06

Taylor, Derek was indeed a mikman....a couple yrs younger than me as he was my younger brothers friend...they both attended the Grove same time as me.

Was Paddy Brophy related to "THE" Brophys from Donneycarney?..I went to school w the Brophy twins At Scoil Ciaran and then on to Killester Tech.

Roundabout, Great reason for the posters..I never even thought of that. Any posters done after late 1970 were not mine though..(Could be some by my bro)...I was 19 and beginning to feel OLD for The Grove...Jazus, who would think 19 was old? And then I left the country in May '71.....

Anybody else feel ancient at 19 at The Grove?

Edited by BrendanFella
BrendanFella

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2008 at 04:22

Just to clarify a few things....

I was reading the news clippings here about The Grove burning down. Any reference I made to St. Paul's was when The Grove was still in St. Annes and had no connection w St. Paul's.....St. Paul's was a seperate thing. We had a hard enough time getting in there and then to be picked on by The Rugby players or whatever was reason enough for a fight. (I think most of it was cause the fellas didn't like us talkin' to "their" women")....lol

Back at The Grove everything was peaceful, fun, and all about the music n the girls. 1967-1971...great years....I was reading about The Music too so all you that loved Led Zep, so did we..it just wasn't our first music there....more like Dave Clark Five, The Kinks etc. But we did go on to love the same music as it was introduced to us.

A special Thanks to Cecil and Derek  for the new unheard of stuff to Ireland which later became part of the norm....(Derek belonged to some American record club and got sh*t nobody ever heard)

Jazus, I almost forgot PURPLE HAZE by Jimi Hendrix, When that song comes on the radio it brings back the whole ERA.

Edited by BrendanFella
BrendanFella

Taylor View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
77-80ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2008 at 10:06

Bren: I know that Paddy Brophy came from somewhere in Donnycarney / Killester - whether he was related to your friends I don't know. Sorry!

Thanks for your great memories of early Grove days - especially about the posters and the music pre-Led Zep.

The Universe is a void full of infinite possibilities
maryi View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
74-80

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2008 at 18:13
Brendan - welcome to the site - Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
mary
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundaboutToo! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2008 at 23:57
Originally posted by Taylor Taylor wrote:

If Derek Farrell is the Derek who used to stand in for our regular Premier milkman Paddy Brophy then I used to help him out at weekends collecting milk money and delivering milk in Marino when I was 12 years old.

It is a very small world indeed in some of these posts, ancient memories resurrected - I hope Derek is well - he was a really nice and generous guy and a cool one at that! When everyone else had shortish hair he had a stunning head of 'Marc Bolan' hair - like Tommy later on in Pat Egan's Sound Cellar.

Taylor,

Derek is the milkman here (in Artane) Still one cool guy. After talking to him last Thursday about the posters etc. he dropped a dvd copy of the documentary the next morning on his round. I've only seen it once, looking forward to it again.

As you say, great memories here - thanks for starting the topic

just back from the Electric Picnic and there was an event (which we missed) called 1968 - The Year That Rocked The World.

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2008 at 01:36

Jazus Roundabout, Tell Derek to drop a copy off at my sister's in Edenmore 'n she can pay to mail it to me....LOL

Do they still deliver milk over there? I remember as a kid gettin' up at 4am to deliver milk on a horse n cart 'n then going to school....yaaaawn!

Later there was bloody murder w the milkmen when they switched to trucks. The bleedin horses knew the route and knew exactly which houses to stop at. Didn't even have to get back on....horses would know...bloody great. Ask Derek if he was pissed then?

BrendanFella

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>