Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 - what was it like at the Grove?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2008 at 08:35

Anybody else feel ancient at 19 at The Grove?

[Bendan I think I was the same. As far as I can remember I was starting to go to the Cricket Club at about 19 and slowly leaving the Grove/QUOTE]
THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
Sponsored Links

Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2008 at 09:17

Another thing you mentioned Bren was the "students" arriving in the summer. The place would be infested with them and they could "Jive "

They seemed to take up the whole centre of the hall

The uniform seemed to be jeans with a navy jumper which they all seamed to wear.

The girls were gorgeous and tanned ( Spanish Holidays were usual in those days ) so the foreigners stood out

Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2008 at 23:14
Originally posted by Aries Aries wrote:

Anybody else feel ancient at 19 at The Grove?

[Bendan I think I was the same. As far as I can remember I was starting to go to the Cricket Club at about 19 and slowly leaving the Grove/QUOTE]

Gotta say that I never felt ancient at the Grove at 19.  Far from it actually.  Then again, I kinda took it to extremes and was still going at 26 or so!!!

TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
SUNSTORM View Drop Down
69 - 7 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNSTORM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2008 at 23:42

hi to all out there this is my first outing here.... first off i'd like to say a big hello to Brendan Carroll and all the carroll brothers . All very talented guys and all with a great sense of humour . Brendan  a brillant artist, Paddy talented but a little  lazy ( hope he's not reading this ) Sean  magnificent and Tony superb   a knockout and a great imagination . 

Brendan if you would like a copy of the Grove doc. i'll drop it into your mother's house or else your sister in edenmore   i'll need the address ... soon the Grove paintings full story   

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2008 at 00:12
Welcome To The Site Sunstorm,Good To Have Another

Mount Propect Grover On Board.
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2008 at 01:16
Originally posted by SUNSTORM SUNSTORM wrote:

Sunstorm,

A really warm welcome on board.

As said already a guy from the 'old' or 'real' Grove, no offence to St Paul's Grovers.

hope you'll love the site, meet old friends and new, share some of your stories etc...

All on this forum are real cool and Cecil is alive and well and still taking the mike at reunions.

Pat 
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
BrendanFella View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2008 at 02:14

Welcome SUNSTORM...whoever you are...I haven't copped on yet but obviously you know my whole family. Now I'm worried, what else do you know about me...LOL

I'll send you a PM with my sisters address in Edenmore.

Sorry to say, The MA passed away a few years ago and none of the family is living there at the moment....You're right about The PaddyFella, He was a lazy lump. Sean is doing well and in Ohio near me. Tony is still in Dublin.

The Dollymount House came up recently, that's where we had The MA's after funeral event. Would you believe that she had arranged with my sister that the first two rounds were on her. A lot of people showed up to show their respects. I'm guessing you knew her too..

OK, I might have you figured out.....

BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2008 at 08:13

Welcome Sunstorm.

As already said it's good to have some of the "Origionals " on the site.

Can't wait for your stories

Taylor View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
77-80ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2008 at 10:49

Welcome Sunstorm!!!

It is great to have you on-board!

I am delighted you are keeping well and many thanks once again for having me on-board on those dark and wet Friday nights and early Saturday and Sunday mornings way back then in 1971 / 1972!

The Universe is a void full of infinite possibilities
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2008 at 10:53

Cecil will be delighted your on ---Sunstorm.

Makes me feel good not to be one of the "Oldest" anymore he he he 

Altought I think i still am 

Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2008 at 13:20

D

Cecil says a big hello

BrendanFella View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2008 at 20:58
Aries...will pretend you're still THE OLDEST.
BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2008 at 21:33

Heya Sunstorm,

Welcome to the site from one of the younger members on the site (ok, I know I'm not *that* young but it felt good to say it).  Please stick around and share your thoughts and memories of your days down the grove!

TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2008 at 13:34

ARIES WROTE  -      Anybody else feel ancient at 19 at The Grove?

l was still going to the Grove at 19,used the girlfriend as my excuse,

as stated ,my mates started going to the Cricket,and l slowly followed suit,the only appeal that place had for me was the bar..

soon moved on to Bruxelles ( downstairs ) McGonagles,and Fibber McGees,and Charlies bar sometimes,and Foggy Dew on occasion

not quite the Grove,but some great nights,and l felt "right" in those places,like l did at the Grove,probably it was the music they played, and the clientele they attracted

Edited by ShortHairHippie
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2008 at 14:16

Originally posted by Brunswick Brunswick wrote:

Welcome to the site from one of the younger members on the site (ok, I know I'm not *that* young but it felt good to say it).

You got that right Mel .

DAYO View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
70 / 76

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAYO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2008 at 16:57
Welcome to the site SUNSTORM and yes Gary is the oldest flasher on the site. Good to have another real Mt Prospect grover on here.
Dayo

Grov'in 70 - 76
freebird View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2008 at 17:29
Welcome Sunstorm, from another of the younder members on board here!
I am sure you will enjoy the site, keep posting   
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2008 at 18:02
SUNSTORM,welcome to the site,its weird to be calling you new,when you consider l was only a year old when you stopped going in '74,l felt weird seeing newbie under my user name,because l've been going so long,have only missed 1 or 2 reunions/tribute nights in the past 6 years,have you ever been back since '74 ? well enjoy the site,lots of sound people with great stories here
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2008 at 21:24
Originally posted by monarch monarch wrote:

Welcome To The Site Sunstorm,Good To Have Another

Mount Propect Grover On Board.

Sunstorm,

Echo Monarch's sentiments.

I started going in 1972 and I'm very interested in stories from the 60's.

It must have been magic
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
SUNSTORM View Drop Down
69 - 7 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNSTORM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2008 at 23:51

Hi again  and thanks for the warm welcome.... Just a few words to Brendan Carroll......... Brendan sorry to hear about your mam passing away i didn't know.. it comes to us all, in the words of Ronnie Lane  " life -its a short movie "and the irony is that the longer you live the closer you are to dying.

Just to let you know Brendan i dropped the Grove doc. dvd and some other dvds to your sisters house tonight ,also the same ones for Sean........if there's anyone looking for the Grove doc. dvd and they live in the artane /raheny /clontarf area i'll drop one in your letter box  providing you dont live to far out  of the way,i'm always out and about.....but i'm not going to any lighthouses or rowing over to any islands .....   Ok

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>