The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 - what was it like at the Grove?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2008 at 00:01
".but i'm not going to any lighthouses or rowing over to any islands .....   Ok"

ah thats a pity Sunstorm, we could do with a few extra copies as there are Four of us Grovers over here in Perth

Edited by freebird
Sponsored Links

SUNSTORM View Drop Down
69 - 7 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNSTORM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2008 at 00:07

ah thats a pity Sunstorm, we could do with a few extra copies as there are Four of us Grovers over here in Perth [/QUOTE]

OK,OK ......... But i'll need  a bigger boat.

Sharon View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2008 at 01:05

Sunstorm welcome onboard good to see more oldies (no offence )but that Gary fella was claiming the oldie title for far too long, time he was taken down a rung or 3...lol..only kidding Gary u know we loves you like our grandads...hehe
Sunstorm I am kidding you will get use to my strange SOH around here the others have...I think...lol

You heading over to Swords for the gig tomorrow night??
Will be a great night I'm sure like all the other nites out cant personally comment about all of them mind, my passport wasnt in date for a while so i wasnt allowed outside the NCD line//hehe

Cheers
Sharon( not the oldest or the youngest on the block)
All I wanted was chips!!
BrendanFella View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2008 at 02:00

Sharon, when you said...

(not the oldest or the youngest on the block)...you forgot to add...

Not The Brightest...LOL 

BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

Sharon View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2008 at 03:24
Brendan you are lined up for a good walloping..LOL  or a whipping..which would you enjoy???
All I wanted was chips!!
BrendanFella View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2008 at 04:11

Actually, They both sound pretty good to me.

I haven't tried that bondage thing yet but HECK I'll try anything ONCE.

The question is ..which DO you enjoy?...LOL...Jeezus, U Irish women have changed since my younger days..Bloody BRILLIANT

BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

Sharon View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2008 at 04:56

Brendan if i told you what i liked ild only upset you so i wont

Then again you know your Karate so i best put me Hurl away and leave the walloping to some1 else as for the whip well its always oiled up..just incase...lol

All I wanted was chips!!
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2008 at 21:05
Jaysus Sharon,the things you come out with at 0456am , ha ha,your a gas woman,was great to meet you and the gang,see you again,might even bump into you in Dunnes   
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Sharon View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2008 at 21:09

Sean i hope i wont be in me PJ's when u bump into me ild be scarla...lmao

Sean once i wasnt coming out with them on the ride home in the taxi...ok i know i brought up waxing but i just had to ask him...LMAO

Was great meeting you aswell next time ill offer you that lift from Balbriggan..lol

Shar

All I wanted was chips!!
maryi View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
74-80

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2008 at 15:29

Welcome Sunstorm - another oldie but goodie.    Gary - they are after your crown.

Hope you enjoy the site and get to know old and new aquaintances.

Enjoy

mary
RoundaboutToo! View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
’75-’79 and ’06 - present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundaboutToo! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2008 at 01:13
Big Welcome Sunstorm You're a mine of information on all things
Musical and Grovey! I'm sure you could rustle up a music question or two
that would have us stumped?

Ciaran.

Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2008 at 18:50

I still think that Monarch may hold the oldy title.

I'm up there but not quite the man.

With these two new imposters we might have to fight our corner all right

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2008 at 09:14
Originally posted by Sharon Sharon wrote:

Sean i hope i wont be in me PJ's when u bump into me ild be scarla...lmao

Sean once i wasnt coming out with them on the ride home in the taxi...ok i know i brought up waxing but i just had to ask him...LMAO

Was great meeting you aswell next time ill offer you that lift from Balbriggan..lol

Shar

tanx Shar
upon us all,a little rain must fall
rahenyman View Drop Down

74-82

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rahenyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2008 at 10:54

Originally posted by RoundaboutToo! RoundaboutToo! wrote:

You're right Rahenyman - I asked my mum again, and the Donnelly's sign was indeed on the corner of Batchelor's Walk & O' Connell St.
Does anyone remember the neon lights on the Flowing Tide?

I watched Z Cars last night on BBC4 - I remember seeing it as a kid. There were only 3 channels - or 2 if the weather was bad!

There seemed to be so many places with flashing neon signs. I used to go to town with my mother (RIP) and I would watch her bag like a guard dog. She had a habit of leaving it wide open, an ideal target for robbers. I loved Dublin city with all it's colours and it was a change from Raheny which in those days was very quite.

El Gringo
claregraham View Drop Down
1966-1968

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claregraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2008 at 08:35

Hi my  name is Clare i was a regular at the grove then known to many as Easons

from 1965-1968 i knew Cecil Nolan well would love to hear from people that  danced to the oldies from the 60st in was a great time

clare

clarestapleton
Taylor View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
77-80ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2008 at 09:04

Welcome Claire - hope you also enjoy the site - just one question: why was the Grove known as 'Eason's' back at the very beginning??

The Universe is a void full of infinite possibilities
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2008 at 09:23

Hiya Clare. You are very very welcome on board

As one of the real oldies it's great to hear from someone who even remembers the word "Easons".

There are a few of us on the site that went in the late 60's and believe it or not I was talking to Cecil Nolan yesterday at lunch time so I'll be only too happy to pass on any message you may have for him.

It's a great site with wonderful people who have great memories in common, even though some of them never were in the "Real Grove "he he he    ( I'll be killed for saying that )

So don't be shy and have a good look aroundthe site. I suggest you have a look at some of the re-union photos's in The gallery and see are there any faces you recognise.

Tell us where you were from and what " crowd " you hung out with and we may be able to link you with someone you remember or more importantly someone who knew you.

Gary

RoundaboutToo! View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
’75-’79 and ’06 - present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundaboutToo! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2008 at 00:24
Originally posted by RoundaboutToo! RoundaboutToo! wrote:

I remember around '68, a huge animated neon advertising sign of 2 kids - 1 frying a sausage and flipping it to the other. It was an ad for Donnelly's sausages. Don't know where it was - my mother thinks it was D'Olier St, and the kids were nicknamed Don and Nelly! . Anyone remember it?

Ah! after a lot of searching, here it is! although a little lo-res..

Aries & Rahenyman, you're both correct - this is a piccy from 1960, probably from Nelson's Pillar ?, looking at D'olier St.
With a little imagination you can make out the words 'Donnelly's Sausages'

CP

Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2008 at 09:05

Ciaran

Thanks. I remember that sign sooo well.

I had cousins in Churchtown and when we went to visit on the bus the 14A stop was facing that sign. We would stand and watch in wonder as the sausage went from one fork to the other.

Very High tec for those days.

finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2008 at 09:18
I remember the sign as well. I noticed last week that Mc Dowells Happy Ring House still has their neon sign. My folks when they got engaged bought the ring there. They went into the GPO (in those days the gurriers were on the outside!) and pooled their resources to see what they could afford.  
A man must have a code
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>