The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stryder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
75-mid80s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GerDublin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2009 at 18:09

Originally posted by finno finno wrote:

Well, Ger welcome aboard.
Was hoping at some point someone else would remember some great nights in the Crofton Hotel, I also went to gigs in The Magnet (Pearse Street?).

Have more photos so will try to get time to scan them and will post them.

Finno,

I do remember rushing to try and get to the Grove after gigs and usually ending up sitting around in St Annes having a drink, singing etc... there would always be someone there to meet up with.

You went to the Magnet gigs, that was the very early days... and very late nights.

Any pictures would be great. Great for freaking out the kids !

I reject your reality and substitute my own.....
Sponsored Links

Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2009 at 19:42
Hiya Ger...another big welcome to the Grove...echo what has been said before-you will find
AND make friends in here very easily...jump in with the topics.
I see from an earlier page you are a Brookwood Avenuer??? Me Too! Wasn't that just so handy
for getting home from the Grove when it was in St. Pauls???
Hope you're enjoying it in here...as Roundy mentioned earlier,a meeting in a licenced
premises is always a good night...or why not watch the 'Grove Re-unions' thread for an
almost-better-than-the-real-thing re-union...hopefully happening around Halloween!
Welcome aboard-Have fun!
There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2009 at 11:59
Here's another 2 photos

Edited by finno
A man must have a code
Taylor View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
77-80ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 10:13

Great photos - I remember when Gibby started learning to play the drums - another world!!

The Universe is a void full of infinite possibilities
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 18:55
Originally posted by Taylor Taylor wrote:

Great photos - I remember when Gibby started learning to play the drums - another world!!

Was that in the wooden shed(lined with styrofoam?) in the garden?
A man must have a code
Taylor View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
77-80ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2009 at 08:48

That's right Finno - to dampen the noise down so that the neighbours wouldn't complain

Around the same time - prior to Stryder - Gibby - a big fan of The Sweet - along with three of his friends used to do a great 'playback' rendition of the glam rock band

Aries View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2009 at 09:51

Just had a chance tolook at Finno's photos last night as they're blocked here.

I definitely met the drummer Gibbo on the circuit back then

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2009 at 13:56
Very nice guy as were all
A man must have a code
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2009 at 13:58
Ger, was wondering what you did after and/or what became of the other lads. I remember Joe going off to london, but after that?
A man must have a code
GerDublin View Drop Down
75-mid80s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GerDublin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2009 at 14:34

Ger, was wondering what you did after and/or what became of the other lads. I remember Joe going off to london, but after that?

Finno,

Joe went to London first in 1985 and then asked the rest of the guys to go over. Myself Alan and Eugene (Gibby) went over. We rehearsed in a furniture shop in Lewisham. We lived in a house over the shop. Evenually Alan left and we got another singer. Its a long and mad story but we ended up playing in the Royal Albert Hall. I came back in 1987.

GerDublin View Drop Down
75-mid80s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GerDublin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2009 at 14:38

Originally posted by Floyd Floyd wrote:

Hiya Ger...another big welcome to the Grove...echo what has been said before-you will find
AND make friends in here very easily...jump in with the topics.
I see from an earlier page you are a Brookwood Avenuer??? Me Too! Wasn't that just so handy
for getting home from the Grove when it was in St. Pauls???
Hope you're enjoying it in here...as Roundy mentioned earlier,a meeting in a licenced
premises is always a good night...or why not watch the 'Grove Re-unions' thread for an
almost-better-than-the-real-thing re-union...hopefully happening around Halloween!
Welcome aboard-Have fun!

Floyd,

Yep i was from Brookwood Ave it was very handy for the Grove. Amasing how many people would be heading down that way on the Grove nights. Never any hassle with the Grovers always great crack.

finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2009 at 21:37
Bloody Hell The Royal Albert Hall??
You cant just stop at that... You have to come to one of the evenings. Are you still on the Northside?
A man must have a code
Taylor View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
77-80ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2009 at 08:53
Originally posted by GerDublin GerDublin wrote:

Finno,

Joe went to London first in 1985 and then asked the rest of the guys to go over. Myself Alan and Eugene (Gibby) went over. We rehearsed in a furniture shop in Lewisham. We lived in a house over the shop. Evenually Alan left and we got another singer. Its a long and mad story but we ended up playing in the Royal Albert Hall. I came back in 1987.

What became of Alan and Gibby?? I know Alan's brother Paul married a lovely girl from Marino called Patricia.

GerDublin View Drop Down
75-mid80s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GerDublin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2009 at 20:35

Bloody Hell The Royal Albert Hall??
You cant just stop at that... You have to come to one of the evenings. Are you still on the Northside?

Hiya Finno,

I am living in Rathcoole. Its a bit out of the way so i dont get to see many of the old crowd often. I believe there is a get together on 25 Oct but i cant make that. I will look out for the next one.

GerDublin View Drop Down
75-mid80s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GerDublin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2009 at 20:37
Originally posted by Taylor Taylor wrote:

Originally posted by GerDublin GerDublin wrote:

Finno,

What became of Alan and Gibby?? I know Alan's brother Paul married a lovely girl from Marino called Patricia.

Alan stayed in England for some years after i came back but i believe he is back in Ireland now. I have'nt been in contact with him for a long time.

Eugene is living in Wicklow. We have kept in contact over the years.

Taylor View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
77-80ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2009 at 09:56

Many thanks Ger - glad to hear that all are well!

Edited by Taylor
Whizzowas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
82-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whizzowas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2009 at 00:56
Hi Ger

Mark W here...I remember Dad bringing me a copy of the single and I think we have a copy somewhere among the vinyl piled in the attic in his house...remember being ill when he told uz u played the AH.

Have sent Joe a message to tell him about this thread - he has some great pics that everyone might like to see so I've asked him to post them. Young Kev played with Joe recently in PV...and learnt lots....Joe doing lots of things.

Always wanted to go to the Grove with u guys but born too late...might share a beer at one of the reunions...say hello to all the K's for me....

Mark

ps

Corwin - there may be a contact thru the following link that might help ur search :

http://irishrock.org/ipnw/bands/stryder.html
You can choose to make a difference....
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2009 at 09:52

Yo Mark

Your very welcome to the site

Enjoy and don't be shy

Any photo's very welcome as they bring tears to the eyes of aging rockers ( speaking for myself of course as most people here are very young )

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2009 at 10:03
Re link (http://irishrock.org/ipnw/bands/stryder.html) would never have described them as heavy metal
A man must have a code
Whizzowas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
82-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whizzowas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2009 at 14:44
Thanks Aries - have been checking out the site for some time now - and did make one of the reunions at the Shieling some years back which I really enjoyed - have lots of memories...some amazing and some not so hot...of my many Wednesdays/Saturdays/Sundays in the Grove...which I will have to write down some day.

Will dig out some photos to share as well.

You can choose to make a difference....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>