Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On This Day(In Music )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2011 at 11:48
September 28th: On this Day

1962, The Beatles performed a lunchtime show at the Cavern Club, Liverpool. That night they performed aboard the vessel MV Royal Iris on the River Mersey. The Beatles' third and final "Riverboat Shuffle".

1965, The Rolling Stones played the first of two nights at the Capitol Theatre, Cardiff, Wales.

1968, American radio DJ Dewey Phillips died of heart failure aged 42. He was one of rock 'n' roll's pioneering disk jockeys. In July 1954, he was the first DJ to play the young Elvis Presley's debut record, ‘That's All Right/Blue Moon Of Kentucky.’

1968, The Beatles started a nine week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hey Jude'. The Paul McCartney song written about Lennon's son Julian gave the group their 16th US No.1 and the biggest selling single of 1968.

1968, The Rascals went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Time Peace / The Rascals' Greatest Hits'.

1968, Bruce Springsteen and a local folk rock group The Founders appeared at the Off Broad Street Coffee House in Red Bank, New Jersey.

1971, Led Zeppelin played the first of two nights at the Festival Hall in Osaka, Japan.

1974, Bad Company went to No.1 on the US album chart with their self-titled debut album. Paul Rodgers and Simon Kirke had come out of Free, while Mick Ralphs had played guitar with Mott the Hoople and Boz Burrell was bass player for King Crimson before the group formed in 1973. They produced six albums together before disbanding in 1983.

1974, Canadian singer Andy Kim went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Rock Me Gently', it made No.2 in the UK. Kim was the co-writer of The Archies 'Sugar Sugar'.

1976, A&M Records sued George Harrison for $6 million over non-delivery of a new album after he missed the deadline by two months.

1980, The Police were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Don't Stand So Close To Me' the group's third No.1. Taken from their album 'Zenyatta Mondatta' and the best selling single of 1980.

1982, Dexy's Midnight Runners played at St David's Hall, Cardiff, Wales.

1985, Kate Bush scored her second UK No.1 album with 'Hounds Of Love'. The singers second No.1 album featured the tracks 'Running Up That Hill', 'Cloudbusting', 'Hounds of Love' and 'The Big Sky'.

1987, U2 played the first of two nights at Madison Square Garden in New York City during their Joshua Tree world tour.

1991, American jazz trumpeter, bandleader, and composer Miles Davis died of a stroke and pneumonia. His 1959 album 'Kind of Blue', is a major influence on jazz music. Davis is considered one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century.

1991, Bryan Adams was awarded the Order of Canada and the Order of British Columbia.

1991, Garth Brooks went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Ropin' The Wind'. The album spent a total of eighteen weeks at the No.1 position and 70 weeks on the chart selling over 11m copies.

1991, Guns N' Roses released 2 albums 'Use Your Illusion I' and 'Use Your Illusion II' which debut at number 1 and number 2 on the UK album chart. Both albums make No.1 & No.2 in the US.

1991, On the week of their album ‘Nevermind’ being released, Nirvana made an appearance at the Tower Records store in New York City and then played a show at The Marquee Club in New York. Their single ‘Smell’s Like Teen Spirit’ had also entered the US Top 20 this week.

1994, R&B singer Bobby Brown witnessed a fatal drive-by-shooting in Roxbury, New Jersey. His sister's fiancé‚ was killed in the incident.

1995, Cast kicked off a 24-date UK tour at The Garage, Glasgow, tickets £6.00.

1996, Kula Shaker went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their debut release 'K'.

1997, LeAnn Rimes went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'You Light Up My Life Inspirational Songs'.

1997, Ocean Colour Scene went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Marchin Already'

1999, All Saints had their hands cast for the 'Wall of Hands' exhibit at Madame Tussaud's Rock Circus in London.

2000, As part of their UK 'Under A Big Top Tour', Radiohead played the first of two nights at Glasgow Green in Scotland.

2002, Madonna was voted the greatest female singer of all-time by 75,0000 music fans in a VH1 poll. But critics and music fans were unhappy with the position of Kylie Minogue who was voted into second place beating Diana Ross, (12th) and Annie Lennox, (14th). The highest placed UK act was Kate Bush who was voted No. 10.

2002, Tina Turner's hometown, made famous in her song ‘Nutbush City Limits,’ named a stretch of State Highway 19 the ‘Tina Turner Highway.’ Turner lived in Nutbush, a small town about 50 miles northeast of Memphis, until she was 17.

2003, Muse were at No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Absolution’ the bands fourth album and first No.1.

2003, John Mayer was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Heavier Things.’

2004, Producer Phil Spector was charged with the murder of actress Lana Clarkson in an unsealed indictment. Spector was in attendance at a Los Angeles court as the indictment about the slaying of 40-year-old Clarkson was read. He remained free on $1 million bail.

2007, The John Lennon Northern Lights Festival was held in Durness, Scotland, the most northwesterly and remote village on mainland Britain. Lennon spent his childhood holidays between the ages of nine and 13 in the village and returned with his son Julian, Yoko Ono and her daughter Kyoko in 1969.

2007, An ad for P Diddy's Unforgivable Woman perfume range, featuring a lingerie-clad model cavorting with the rapper in a New York hotel stairwell, was shown on Channel 4 in the UK. The ad had been banned in the US by the Federal Communications Commission, for being too sexually explicit for US audiences.

2008, Kings of Leon started a two week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Only by the Night’ the bands fourth studio album.

2009, Adam Goldstein (DJ AM.), American club DJ and musician died of an accidental drug overdose at home in New York City aged 36. Had worked with Blink 182, Crazy Town, Madonna. Goldstein had surrived a plane crash along with Blink 182 drummer Travis Barker in September 2008.

2010, Souvenir hunters were being condemned for "wanton vandalism" after sections of masonry were hacked off the house of Ringo Starr's birthplace. Fans who are campaigning to halt town hall plans to demolish 9 Madryn Street found that chunks of brickwork had been removed from the house.

September 28th: Born on this day

1902, Born on this day, Ed Sullivan, TV host, The Ed Sullivan Singers and Orchestra. Introduced The Beatles and other UK acts to America via his Ed Sullivan TV show. The Beatles appearance on February 9th 1964 is considered a milestone in American pop culture; the broadcast drew an estimated 73 million viewers. Sullivan died on 13th October 1974.

1938, Born on this day, Ben E King, Benjmin Earl Nelson, The Drifters, 1960 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Save The Last Dance For Me'), 1987 UK No.1 solo single 'Stand By Me', first released in 1961.

1943, Born on this day, Nick Nicholas, Steppenwolf, (1969 US No.2 & UK No.30 single 'Born To Be Wild').

1946, Born on this day, Helen Shapiro, UK Singer, (1961 UK No.1 single 'Walking Back To Happiness').

1947, Born on this day, Peter Hope Evans, Medicine Head, (1973 UK No.3 single 'One And One Is One').

1950, Born on this day, Paul Burgess, drums, 10cc, (1975 UK No.1 & US No.2 single 'I'm Not In Love', plus 10 other UK Top 30 hits including two No.1's).

1952, Born on this day, Andy Ward, Marillion, (1985 UK No.2 single 'Kayleigh')

1953, Born on this day, Jim Diamond, singer, songwriter, (solo UK No.1 single 'I Should Have Know Better'), PHD, (1982 UK No.3 single 'I Won't Let You Down').

1960, Born on this day, Jennifer Rush, singer, (1985 UK No.1 single 'The Power Of Love').

1962, Born on this day, Peter Hooton, The Farm, (1990 UK No.4 single 'All Together Now').

1966, Born on this day, Kenny Wilson, (Ginger Fish), drums, Marilyn Manson, (1998 US No.1 album, 'Mechanical Animals'

1977, Born on this day Young Jeezy, (Jay Jenkins), US rapper, (2006 US No.1 album ‘The Inspiration’).

1984, Born on this day, Melody Thornton, singer, The Pussycat Dolls, (2005, US No.2 & UK No.1 with their debut single ‘Don't Cha’ featuring Busta Rhymes). The Pussycat Dolls became only the fourth ever girl band to enter the UK charts at No.1 with their debut single. (The other’s being the Spice Girls, B*Witched and Girls Aloud).

1987, Born on this day Hilary Duff, US singer, actress, star of Lizzie McGuire TV show, (2003 US No.1 album ‘Metamorphosis’ and 2005 US No.1 album 'Most Wanted').
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Sponsored Links

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2011 at 13:08
September 29th: On this Day

1956, Bill Haley had five songs in the UK Top 30; 'Rockin Through The Rye', 'Saints Rock n' Roll', 'Rock Around The Clock', 'Razzle Dazzle', and 'See You Later Alligator'.

1960, Ricky Valance was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Tell Laura I Love Her', making him the first Welsh singer to top the charts, and a One-hit Wonder.

1967, The Small Faces appeared at the Royal in Tottenham, London, admission was 7/6.

1967, Working at Abbey Road in London, The Beatles mixed the new John Lennon song ‘I Am the Walrus’ which included the sound of a radio being tuned through numerous stations, coming to rest on a BBC production of William Shakespeare's "King Lear". Lennon composed the song by combining three songs he had been working on. When he learned that a teacher at his old primary school was having his students analyse Beatles' lyrics, he added a verse of nonsense words.

1969, The Doors appeared at Lincoln Center's 7th New York Film Festival, New York City.

1971, Gilbert O'Sullivan made his live debut at London's Royal Albert Hall. Also on the bill, Sweet, Dave Edmunds Rockpile and Ashton Gardner & Dyke.

1973, Grand Funk Railroad went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'We're An American Band', the group's first of two US chart toppers.

1976, Enjoying his own birthday celebrations singer Jerry Lee Lewis accidentally shot his bass player Norman Owens in the chest. Lewis had been blasting holes in an office door. Owens survived but sued his boss.

1979, Boney M scored their second UK No.1 album with 'Oceans Of Fantasy'.

1979, The Police had their first UK No.1 single with 'Message In A Bottle' the group's third Top 20 hit.

1980, Elvis Costello supported by The Stray Cats appeared at the Rainbow, London, England.

1984, Prince and the Revolution started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Let's Go Crazy', his second US No.1, a No.7 hit in the UK.

1989, While travelling on his motorbike from Los Angeles, Bruce Springsteen called in at Matt's Saloon in Prescott, Arizona and jammed with the house band. Bruce played a bunch of rock and roll classics, including Elvis Presley’s 'Don’t Be Cruel,' and Chuck Berry’s 'Sweet Little Sixteen' and 'Route 66.” Bruce also donated $100,000 to a barmaid's hospital bill.

1990, Maria McKee was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Show Me Heaven' the song featured in the Tom Cruise film 'Days Of Thunder'.

1990, Nelson went to No.1 on the US singles chart with '(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection' the duo being the twin sons of 50's singer Ricky Nelson.

1991, Metallica kicked off their 138 date Wherever We May Roam world tour at the Civic Center in Peoria, Illinois.

1992, American singer, songwriter Paul Jabara died from lymphoma related to AIDS at the age of 44. He wrote Donna Summer's Oscar and Grammy Award-winning hit ‘Last Dance’ and Barbra Streisand's ‘The Main Event/Fight’ and co-wrote the Weather Girls hit, ‘It's Raining Men’ with Paul Shaffer.

1999, Receivers were called in to concert promoter Harvey Goldsmith's empire after suffering losses on a series of shows. Goldsmith was awarded the MBE after his work on Live Aid.

1999, The Manic Street Preachers were given a bill for £28.000 after smashing up equipment during their show at Scotland's T In The Park festival.

2001, Jennifer Lopez married dancer Cris Judd in Calabasa California. The couple separated nine months later.

2002, US TV Pop Idol winner Kelly Clarkson started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'A Moment Like This.'

2002, UK Pop Idol winners Will Young and Gareth Gates started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of The Beatles 'The Long And Winding Road.'

2004, Keith Moon's five-piece drum kit, custom-made for The Who drummer in 1968, sold for £120,000 pounds ($215,772) in London to an American collector, setting a world auction record for a set of drums.

2004, The Sun reported that Michael Jackson had a secret fourth child who was now 19. The story claimed that Norwegian Omar Bhatti was born after a one night stand and had stayed with Jackson at his Neverland home in California.

2007, US rapper 50 Cent was beaten by rival rap star Kanye West in the stand-off to claim the best-selling album in the US. West's Graduation shifted 957,000 copies in its first week of sales while 50 Cent's album, Curtis, only sold 691,000. Before the albums went on sale 50 Cent vowed he would retire from making solo albums if he was outsold by West. 50 Cent axed his forthcoming European tour and a performance at London Mobo Awards the Vodafone Live Music Awards in London, as well as at an MTV show in Germany.

September 29th: Born on this day

1907, Born on this day, Gene Autry, America's singing cowboy. During his career Autry scored 25 successive Top 10 Country hits. He died on 2nd October 1998 aged 91.

1935, Born on this day, Jerry Lee Lewis, US singer, keyboards, (1958 UK No.1 & US No.1 single 'Great Balls Of Fire', 1957 multi million seller 'Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On').

1937, Born on this day, Joe 'Guitar' Hughes, US blues guitarist, died May 20th 2003 aged 65. Worked with T-Bone Walker, BB King, Big Joe Turner.

1939, Born on this day, Tommy Boyce, singer, songwriter. 1968 US No 8 single with Bobby Hart, 'I Wonder What She's Doing Tonite'. Wrote 'Last Train To Clarksville', 'I'm Not Your Stepping Stone' and 'Scooby-Doo Where Are You.' Sold over 40m records. Boyce committed suicide on 23rd November 1994.

1943, Born on this day, Manuel Fernandez, Los Bravos, (1966 UK No.2 & US No.4 single 'Black Is Black'). First Spanish rock band to have a UK & US hit single.

1948, Born on this day, Mark Farner, Grand Funk Railroad, (1974 US No.1 single 'The Locomotion'). Most successful US Heavy Metal band of the 70's selling over 20m albums.

1948, Born on this day, Mike Pinera, Blues Image, (1970 US No.4 single, 'Ride Captain Ride').

1957, Born on this day, Mari Wilson, UK singer, (1982 UK No.8 single 'Just What I Always Wanted').

1958, Born on this day, Mick Harvey, Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, (1996 UK No.36 single with PJ Harvey 'Henry Lee').

1965, Born on this day, Ian Baker Keyboards, Jesus Jones, (1991 UK No.7 single 'International Bright Young Thing').

1966, Born on this day, Tony Foster, guitarist, worked with Julian Cope and Olive, (1997 UK No.1 single 'You're Not Alone).

1968, Born on this day, Matt & Luke Goss, Bros, 1988 UK No.1 single 'I Owe You Nothing' plus 10 other UK Top 40 singles).

1969, Born on this day, Donald DeGrate, (DeVante Swing), Jodeci, vocals, (1995 UK No.17 single 'Freak 'N' You').

1981, Born on this day, Suzanne Shaw, vocals, Hear'Say, (2001 UK No.1 single, 'Pure and Simple).

1987, Born on this day, Joshua Farro, guitarist, Paramore, 2009 UK No.1 album ‘Brand New Eyes’.
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2011 at 13:11
Great stuff Frank it's my lunchtime reading
Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2011 at 13:32
Originally posted by DONDON DONDON wrote:

Great stuff Frank it's my lunchtime reading

As I said to you before,I do this for 2 reasons.

1) To keep the site ticking over(sometimes it can be very slow here).

2) For those who actually like these bits of trivia.

Edited by monarch - 30-September-2011 at 00:18
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2011 at 13:46
Both great reasons frank ,,keep it rockin
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2011 at 11:39
September 30th: On this Day

1960, The Beatles performed at the Indra Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, West Germany.

1964, The Who appeared at the Town Hall, Greenwich, South London.

1965, EMI Records launched the budget priced 'Music For Pleasure' label, selling the albums in grocery stores for 12/6d each.

1965, Donovan made his US television debut on Shindig! along with The Hollies, The Turtles and the Dave Clark Five.

1967, BBC Radio 1 was launched in the UK. Former Radio Caroline DJ Tony Blackburn was the first presenter on air. The Move's 'Flowers In The Rain', was the first record played.

1967, During a UK tour Pink Floyd appeared at the Skyline Club in Hull north east England.

1969, Christine Hinton the girlfriend of David Crosby was killed in a car crash near San Francisco.

1971, Rick Wakeman made his live debut with Yes at The De Montford Hall, Leicester at the start of a 23-date UK tour.

1972, David Cassidy was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'How Can I Be Sure.' It was the star from the US TV series the Partridge Family's first UK No.1. It was originally recorded by The Young Rascals in 1967.

1974, Police were called to a Lynyrd Skynyrd and Blue Oyster Cult concert after a fight broke out between two sound engineers. The Skynyrd roadie claimed that the sound had been deliberately turned off during the bands set.

1977, Mary Ford died from cancer after being in a diabetic coma for 54 days. One-half of the husband-and-wife musical team, Les Paul and Mary Ford. Between 1950 and 1954, the couple had 16 top-ten hits; in 1951 alone, they sold six million records.

1978, Exile started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Kiss You All Over', it made No.6 in the UK.

1978, John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John had their second UK No.1 from the film 'Grease' with 'Summer Nights.' Seven weeks at No.1 it became the second best selling single of 1978, beaten by 'Saturday Night Fever'.

1984, UK station Capitol Radio launched 'The Network Chart' show hosted by David 'Kid' Jenson.

1984, The music division of Thorn EMI once said to be the greatest recording organisation in the world reported a world-wide loss of almost $5 million during the last six months.

1984, Kiss kicked off a 14-date UK tour at the Brighton Centre.

1989, Tina Turner scored her first solo UK No.1 album with 'Foreign Affair'.

1992, US singer Steve Earle was arrested in Nashville after he failed to report for jury service.

1993, Kate Pierson from The B-52's was charged with criminal mischief and trespassing during an anti-fur protest at 'Vogue's' New York City offices.

1994, T.A.F.K.A.P. launched music channel VH1 in the UK, which gave the first airing of his new video 'Dolphin.'

1995, Mariah Carey made chart history when she started an eight week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Fantasy', making her the first female act to enter the chart in pole position.

1995, Simply Red scored their first UK No.1 single when 'Fairground' started a four-week run at the top of the charts. It was their 15th UK Top 40 hit.

1999, Chris de Burgh's web site was closed down after countless obscene messages were posted on the guestbook. One message consisted entirely of two four-letter words repeated 3500 times.

2002, Popstars band Hear'say announced they had split up. The winners of the Popstars TV talent show who scored two UK No.1 singles had lasted less than two years.

2003, An auction of the contents of Sir Elton John's London home raised more than £1.4 million. An oil painting, entitled Madison Square Park, sold for £67,200, and a 19th Century portrait of Lieutenant George Dyer, painted by James Northcote in 1817, fetched £55,200. Sir Elton sold off the items so he could redecorate his home in a more modern style.

2006, Justin Timberlake started a two week run at No.1 on the US album chart with his second solo album ‘FutureSex/LoveSounds’ which also became the biggest album ever for pre-orders on iTunes.

2007, Country music singer Keith Urban crashed his motorcycle on the way to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. The 39-year-old, who was not injured, said he was being followed by a photographer when the accident happened near his home in Sydney, Australia.

2007, Foo Fighters went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Echoes Silence Patience & Grace' the bands sixth studio album and second UK No.1. Reba McEntire was at No.1 on the US album chart with Reba: Duets.

2007, Sugababes started a four week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'About You Now', the girl group's 6th UK No.1 hit.

September 30th: Born on this day

1933, Born on this day, Soul singer Cissy Houston, and mother of Whitney Houston. Member of Sweet Inspirations, The Drinkard Singers, (with Dionne Warwick), back-up singer with Elvis Presley, Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan, Luther Vandross.

1935, Born on this day, Johnny Mathis, US singer, 1976 UK No.1 single 'When A Child Is Born', plus 10 other UK Top 40 singles. 1978 US No.1 single 'Too Much Too Little Too Late' and over 15 other Top 40 singles). His Greatest Hits album spent over nine years on the US chart.

1942, Born on this day, Dewey Martin, The Dillards, Buffalo Springfield, (1967 US No.17 single 'For What It's Worth').

1942, Born on this day, Frankie Lymon, singer, Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers, (1956 UK No.1 & US No.6 single 'Why Do Fools Fall In Love'). He died from a drug overdose on 28th February 1968 aged 25.

1942, Born on this day, Gus Dudgeon, producer. Best known for his work with Elton John. Also produced David Bowie, The Beach Boys, Zombies, Kiki Dee, Strawbs, XTC and Joan Armatrading. Dudgeon was killed in a car accident on 21st July 2002, his wife, Sheila, was also killed in the accident.

1943, Born on this day, Marilyn McCoo, singer, 1977 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'You Don't Have To Be A Star'. Also a member of The 5th Dimension.

1946, Born on this day, Sylvia Peterson, The Chiffons, (1963 US No.1 single 'He's So Fine', 1972 UK No.4 single 'Sweet Talking Guy', first released in 1966).

1947, Born on this day, Marc Bolan, guitarist, UK singer, songwriter, T Rex, (1971 UK No.1 single 'Hot Love', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles, 1972 US No.10 single Bang A Gong, (Get It On). Bolan was killed in a car accident on 16th September 1977.

1952, Born on this day, John Lombardo, 10,000 Maniacs, (1993 UK No.47 single 'Candy Everybody Wants').

1954, Born on this day, Lesley Beach, sax, Amazulu, (1986 UK No.5 single 'Too Good To Forgotten').

1959, Born on this day, Basia Trzetrzelewska, singer, Matt Bianco, (1988 UK No.11 single 'Don't Blame It On That Girl').

1964, Born on this day, Robby Takac, bass, Goo Goo Dolls (1999 UK No. 26 single 'Iris', 2002 US No.3 album ‘Gutterflower’).

1964, Born on this day, Trey Anastasio, American guitarist, and singer with Phish.

1984, Born on this day, Keisha Buchanan, singer, Sugababes, (2002 UK No.1 single, 'Round Round', 2002 UK No.2 album 'Angels With Dirty Faces').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2011 at 13:58
October 1st: On this Day

1954, The UK 'Top 12' Pop Chart became a Top 20 Chart.

1956, After test audiences gave a negative reaction to Elvis Presley dying at the end of the film Love Me Tender, The King was called back to re-shoot the scene. In the new ending, the hero lived.

1960, The Beatles performed at the Indra Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, West Germany.

1965, Bob Dylan appeared at Carnegie Hall in New York City and introduced his new touring band made up of guitarist Robbie Robertson, organist Garth Hudson, bassist Rick Danko, pianist Richard Manual and drummer Levon Helm. They will become known simply as The Band.

1966, Jimi Hendrix appeared live for the first time in the UK when he jammed with Cream at their gig at London Polytechnic.

1967, The first edition of UK BBC Radio 1's 'Top Gear' was aired. Presented by John Peel and Pete Drummond they featured The Move, Traffic, Pink Floyd, Tim Rose and Tomorrow featuring Keith West.

1967, thieves broke into Mick Jagger’s London flat and stole jewellery and furs belonging to his then girlfriend Marianne Faithfull.

1970, Jimi Hendrix was buried at The Greenwood Cemetery at the Dunlop Baptist Church Seattle. Among the mourners; Miles Davis, Eric Burdon, Johnny Winter and members of Derek and the Dominoes.

1973, The Simon Park Orchestra were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Eye Level,' taken from the ITV series 'Van Der Valk.' It was the first TV theme to become a No.1 in the UK.

1975, Al Jackson, drummer with Booker T. and The MGs, was shot and killed by an intruder at his home. Booker T had backed such artists as Otis Redding, Al Green and Sam and Dave.

1977, During a European tour Rat Scabies left The Damned and was temporarily replaced by drummer Jon Moss later of Culture Club.

1977, Elton John became the first musician to be honoured in New York City's Madison Square Hall Of Fame.

1977, Meco started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with a disco version of 'Star Wars Theme'. Had other hits with versions of 'Close Encounters', 'Wizard Of Oz' and 'Empire Strikes Back'.

1981, The Pretenders were forced to cancel the last leg of a US tour after drummer Martin Chambers put his hand through a windowpane, cutting tendons and arteries.

1982, John Cougar went to No.1 on both the US album and singles chart with the album 'American Fool' and the single 'Jack And Diane'.

1983, A David Bowie world convention was held at The Cunard Hotel in London. The event had the largest collection of Bowie merchandise ever assembled. Tickets £6.90.

1984, Elvis Costello and the Attractions kicked off a 24-date UK tour at London Hammersmith Palais.

1985, R.E.M. appeared at the Paradiso, Amsterdam, Holland.

1986, Andy McVann drummer with Liverpool band The Farm was killed in a car crash during a police chase.

1987, Def Leppard kicked off the North American leg of their Hysteria world tour at Glens Falls Civic Center, Glens Falls, New York.

1988, Bon Jovi scored their first UK No.1 album with 'New Jersey', their fourth release.

1990, Forbes Magazine listed New Kids On The Block as the fifth richest entertainers in the US with an income of $78 million.

1994, Eric Clapton entered the US album chart at No.1 with 'From The Cradle'.

1994, The Daily Mirror in the UK printed a photo of Michael Jackson in a scoutmaster's uniform along with five young Boy Scouts. A Boy Scouts leader later made a statement saying that Jackson had no association with the organization.

1997, Robbie Williams kicked off a 14-date UK tour at Norwich UEA, tickets cost £11.00, and support band The Supernaturals.

1999, Singer Lena Zavaroni died aged 35 after a long battle against anorexia. Zavoroni was discovered on TV talent show Opportunity Knocks, in 1974 she became the youngest British singer to earn a silver disc with 'Ma He's Making Eyes At Me' and the youngest person to appear on TV's Top of the Pops.

2000, Madonna went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Music' the singers fourth US No.1 album.

2004, Ms Dynamite was arrested over allegations of assault after an incident at a restaurant in Central London. Ms Dynamite (real name Niomi McLean-Daley), was arrested in connection with the allegation after voluntarily attending a police station, she was later released on bail.

2004, The Lord Mayor of Melbourne officially opened 'AC/DC' Lane after the veteran rockers. The Lord Mayor erected the sign to cheers and bagpipes playing the bands song ‘Long Way To The Top’. The City of Melbourne had extra copies of the sign made, in anticipation of fans stealing them.

2005, Pete Doherty was arrested during a police drugs operation in Shrewsbury where his band Babyshambles had been playing and held overnight. Police said a man and a woman were arrested for possession of class A drugs and 17 others searched during an operation in Telford. A gig in Norwich planned for the following night was cancelled.

2007, Radiohead's official website crashed after the band announced that their new album ‘In Rainbows’ would only be available to order via www.radiohead.com. Fans could pre-order the download at any price they choose or pay £40 for a "discbox", which included two CDs, two records, plus artwork and booklets.

2007, The Spice Girls London reunion concert sold out in 38 seconds after fans were notified tickets had gone on sale. More than one million people in the UK registered for the concert, on 15 December 2007 at the O2 arena, tickets cost £55-75. Three more London dates were added to the world tour which was kicking off in Vancouver on 2nd Dec.

October 1st: Born on this day

1930, Born on this day, Actor, singer, Richard Harris, (1968 US & UK No.4 single 'MacArthur Park'). Died of cancer on 25th Oct 2002.

1935, Born on this day singer, actress, Julie Andrews, (1965 UK & US No.1 album 'The Sound Of Music', spent 382 weeks on the UK chart).

1940, Born on this day, Barbara Parritt, The Toys, (1965 US No. 2 & UK No.5 single 'A Lover's Concerto').

1942, Born on this day, Herb Fame, Peaches and Herb, (1979 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Reunited').

1943, Born on this day, Jerry Martini, saxes, Sly and The Family Stone (1971 US No.1 & UK No.15 single 'Family Affair').

1945, Born on this day, Donny Hathaway, US soul singer (1972 UK No.29 single with Roberta Flack 'Where Is The Love', 1978 US No.2 single 'The Closer I Get'). Committed suicide falling from a 15th floor hotel window on 13th January 1979.

1947, Born on this day, Rob Davis, guitar, Mud, (1974 UK No.1 single 'Tiger Feet' plus 14 other UK Top 40 singles). Co- wrote the 2001 UK No.1 hit for Kylie Minogue, 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head'.

1948, Born on this day, Mariska Veres, singer, Shocking Blue, (1970 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Venus'). Died on Dec 2nd 2006 aged 59.

1948, Born on this day, Cub Koda, guitarist, songwriter, Brownsville Station, (1973 US No.3 UK No.27 single 'Smokin' In The Boys Room'). He died on 5th July 2000.

1955, Born on this day, Howard Hewett, Shalamar, (1980 US No. 8 single 'The Second Time Around', 1982 UK No.5 single 'A Night To Remember').

1957, Born on this day, Andy Walton, Kenny, (1975 UK No.3 single 'The Bump').

1958, Born on this day, Martin Cooper, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, (1984 UK No.5 single 'Locomotion').

1959, Born on this day, Youssou N'dour, Senegalese singer, percussionist, (1994 UK No.3 single '7 Seconds'), worked with Peter Gabriel, Wyclef Jean, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen and Sting.

1974, Born on this day, Keith Duffy, Boyzone Vocals, (1996 UK No.1 single 'Words' plus 15 other Top 5 singles and 4 UK No.1 albums). Duffy joined the UK soap Coronation Street in 2002 playing the role of Peter Barlow's old Navy mate Ciaran McCarthy.

1985, Born on this day, Dizzee Rascal (Dylan Kwabena Mills), British rapper, songwriter and record producer. 2009 UK No.1 single ‘Holiday’.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2011 at 10:37
October 2nd: On this Day

1954, US band vocalist from the 1940s, Don Cornell was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Hold My Hand'. This song was banned by the BBC for the words 'kingdom of heaven'.

1959, 'Stay' by Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs entered the US chart on its way to No.1. At just 1:37, it becomes the shortest US chart topper in Rock and Roll history.

1959, Fifteen Elvis Presley fans were arrested in Germany after marching through the streets of Leipzig shouting "Long live Elvis Presley" and making unkind remarks about German music.

1961, Phil Spector and partner Lester Sill released the first single on their new label Philles, The Crystals’, ‘Oh Yeah Maybe Baby.’ A little over a year later, they had a No.1 hit with ‘He’s a Rebel,’ and soon after, ‘Da Doo Ron Ron’ and ‘Then He Kissed Me.’

1965, The McCoys were at No. 1 on the US singles chart with ‘Hang On Sloopy’ (No.5 in the UK when released on Andrew Oldham’s new Immediate label). The song was first released by The Vibrations and called ‘My Girl Sloopy’.

1967, All six members of The Grateful Dead were busted by California narcotics agents for possession of marijuana at the groups' 710 Ashbury Street House in San Francisco, California.

1971, Rod Stewart started a five week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Maggie May / Reason To Believe', his first solo No.1. Stewarts album 'Every Picture Tells A Story' also started a four-week run on this day at No.1 on the UK and US chart.

1971, John Lennon's 'Imagine' LP entered the US album chart, where it will reach No.3.

1977, The body of Elvis Presley and his mother Gladys were moved from the cemetery where they were buried to Graceland's after an unsuccessful attempt was made to body snatch the coffin.

1979, The Buzzcocks kicked off a 25-date UK tour at the Mountford Hall, Liverpool, England.

1980, Leaveil Degree from the soul group The Whispers started a two-year prison sentence in Boron California for his part in diamond robbery.

1981, Terry Hall, Neville Staples and Lynval Golding all left The Specials to form Fun Boy Three.

1982, Dire Straits started a four-week run at No.1 on UK the album charts with 'Love Over Gold'.

1982, John Cougar started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Jack and Diane', his first US No.1a No.25 hit in the UK.

1982, Musical Youth were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Pass The Dutchie'. The group were made up of Birmingham school boys, aged 11-16. The song was a cover of The Mighty Diamonds song called 'Pass The Kutchie', a slang term for a cannabis smoking pipe, but the word was changed to avoid the song being banned for it's drug reference.

1982, Peter Gabriel and Steve Hacket joined their former band mates in Genesis for a one-time benefit performance at The Milton Keynes Bowl in Buckinghamshire, England to help raise money for Gabriel's WOMAD project (World of Music, Arts and Dance).

1983, Abba singer Agnetha Faltskog was taken to hospital suffering from concussion after being involved in a car crash in Skane Sweden.

1983, Welsh singer Bonnie Tyler was at No.1 on the US singles chart with the Jim Steinman written and produced track 'Total Eclipse Of The Heart'. It made her the only Welsh artist to score a US No.1.

1995, Oasis released their second album '(What's The Story), Morning Glory', which entered the UK chart at No.1.

1996, A Pearl Jam show in Hartford Connecticut ended in a riot when mass fighting broke out among the 30,000 strong crowds.

1998, America's singing cowboy Gene Autry died aged 91. During his career he scored 25 successive Top 10 Country hits. In 1995 it was estimated he was worth $320 million.

1999, Matchbox 20 singer Rob Thomas married model Marisol Maldonado. Marisol appeared in the Santana video ‘Smooth’ with Thomas.

2000, Coldplay kicked of a 17-date UK tour at The Junction, Cambridge.

2001, Actor Kevin Spacey hosts Come Together: A Night for John Lennon's Words and Music at New York's Radio City Music Hall. Performers include, Alanis Morissette, Moby, Stone Temple Pilots and the Dave Mathews Band. The evening was closed with those present singing 'Give Peace A Chance'.

2002, Adam Ant escaped a prison sentence after a judge ruled that an incident in which he threatened drinkers with a replica pistol in a London pub was a result of mental illness. The 1980's pop star had been voluntarily having psychiatric treatment since the incident.

2002, Robbie Williams signed the most lucrative British record deal in history when he signed with EMI records for £80m. Asked what he was going to do with money Robbie said, "I'm going to count it all."

2003, Police were called to a suspected burglary at the Los Angeles house of Courtney Love's former boyfriend and ex-manager Jim Barber in the early hours. Ms Love was picked up in the street outside and detained - with officers noting "Miss Love's behaviour was consistent with being under the influence of a controlled substance". Shortly after her arrest, Ms Love was taken to hospital with a suspected drug overdose.

2004, Billy Joel married 23-year-old Kate Lee at his Centre Island, New York mansion. It was the third marriage for Joel.

2005, James Blunt kicked off a 17 date UK tour at Barrowlands, Glasgow, Scotland.

2005, Katie Melua scored her second UK No.1 album when ‘Piece By Piece’ went to the top of the charts.

2005, Sugababes were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Push The Button', the girl group's 4th No.1.

2007, Britney Spears was ordered to hand over her two young children to her former husband Kevin Federline by a judge in Los Angeles. The court ruled that Federline would be given custody of Sean Preston, two, and one-year-old Jayden James, until further notice. Last month Judge Scott Gordon had said Ms Spears showed "a habitual, frequent and continuous use of controlled substances and alcohol." The singer was ordered to undergo random drug and alcohol tests twice a week as part of her child custody dispute with Mr Federline.

2008, Pink went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Funhouse’ the singer’s fourth studio album. The album's original title was 'Heartbreak is a Motherf**ker'.

October 2nd: Born on this day

1939, Born on this day, Lolly Vegas, Redbone, (1971 UK No.2 & US No.21 single 'The Witch Queen Of New Orleans').

1941, Born on this day, Ron Meagher, The Beau Brummels, (1965 US No.8 single 'Just A Little.')

1945, Born on this day, Don McLean, US singer, songwriter, (1971 US & 1972 UK No.1 single 'American Pie', a song inspired by the death of Buddy Holly).

1949, Born on this day, Richard Hell, vocals, The Voidoids, (1977 album 'Blank Generation' features the track 'Love Comes In Spurts').

1950, Born on this day, Mike Rutherford, guitar, Genesis, (1986 US No.1 single 'Invisible Touch', 1992 UK No.7 single 'I Can't Dance' & 6 UK No.1 albums). & Mike And The Mechanics, (1989 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'The Living Years').

1951, Born on this day, Sting, (Gordon Sumner), singer, songwriter, The Police, (1983 UK & US No.1 single 'Every Breath You Take', plus 4 other UK No.1 singles). Solo, (1990 UK No.15 single 'Englishman In New York' plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles). One time member of Last Exit.

1952, Born on this day, John Otway, UK singer, songwriter, guitarist, (1977 UK No.27 single 'Really Free', with Wild Willy Barrett). 2002 UK No.7 single 'Bunsen Burner'.

1955, Born on this day, Phil Oakey vocals, Human League, (1981 UK No.1 & 1982 US No.1 single 'Don't You Want Me' plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles).

1956, Born on this day, Freddie Jackson, US soul singer, scored US 10 R&B No. 1's.

1961, Born on this day, Robbie Nevil, singer, (1987 UK No.3 single 'C'est La Vie').

1962, Born on this day, Sigtryggur Baldursson, drums, The Sugarcubes, (1992 UK No.17 single 'Hit').

1969, Born on this day, Badly Drawn Boy, (Damon Gough), singer, songwriter, 2002 UK No.9 single 'You Were Right', 2002 UK No. 10 album, 'Have You Fed The Fish'.

1971, Born on this day, Tiffany, US singer (1987 US No.1 & 1988 UK No.1 single 'I Think We're Alone Now').

1973, Born on this day, Lene G Nystrom, Aqua, (1997 UK No.1 single Barbie Girl).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2011 at 12:48
October 3rd: On this Day

1945, Elvis Presley made his first ever-public appearance in a talent contest at the Mississippi Alabama Dairy Show singing 'Old Shep', Elvis was 10 years old at the time and came second.

1958, The Biggest Show Of Stars 1958 Tour kicked off at the Worcester Auditorium in Worcester, Massachusetts. This Autumn Edition featured; Buddy Holly, Frankie Avalon, Bobby Darin, The Olympics, Dion & The Belmonts, Bobby Freeman, The Elegants, Jimmy Clanton, The Danleers, Duane Eddy, Clyde McPhatter and The Coasters.

1965, Ken Dodd was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Tears', the singer, comedian's only UK No.1.

1967, American singer, songwriter Woody Guthrie died after suffering from Huntington's Chorea disease. Guthrie was a major influence on Bob Dylan and American folk music. The 70's film 'Bound For Glory' is based on his life. His best-known song is ‘This Land Is Your Land’, which is regularly sung in American schools.

1967, James Brown played two shows at the Royal Albert Hall in London with his 18 piece American band.

1968, Working at Trident Studios in London, The Beatles recorded the new George Harrison song ‘Savoy Truffle’. George, Paul, and Ringo recorded just one take of the basic track (drums, bass, and lead guitar). The song was inspired by Eric Clapton's love of chocolates, particularly Mackintosh's Good News.

1978, The members of Aerosmith bailed thirty fans out of jail after they were arrested for smoking pot during an Aerosmith concert at Fort Wayne Coliseum.

1980, UK BBC TV aired 'The Police In The East' documentary featuring The Police on tour in India.

1987, M/A/R/S were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Pump Up The Volume.' The first British-made house hit heavily sampled other recordings which resulted in litigation.

1989, Deborah Harry made her UK live comeback after seven years at The Borderline Club, London.

1991, M.C. Hammer offered a $50000 reward for the return of Michael Jackson's white glove, which had been stolen from the Motown Museum. This was part of an on-going battle between Hammer and Michael Jackson.

1991, Texas governor Ann Richards proclaimed October 3, (Stevie Ray Vaughan's birthday), to be "Stevie Ray Vaughan Day". An annual motorcycle ride and concert in Central Texas benefits the Stevie Ray Vaughan Memorial Scholarship Fund.

1992, Abba scored their ninth UK No.1 album with 'Gold- Greatest Hits.'

1992, Sinead O'Connor ripped up a photograph of Pope John Paul II, on the US TV show 'Saturday Night Live', in a protest at abortion laws. The incident happened as Sinead ended her live performance and out of nowhere, produced a photograph of Pope John Paul II, which she ripped into pieces. There was stunned silence in the studio and the station went to a commercial. NBC was fined $2.5 million dollars by the Federal Communications Commission.

1997, A court battle started between Garth Brooks and Warren G over the trademark of the letter 'G' which both artists used. The dispute was settled out of court the following year.

1998, Irish girl group B*Witched scored their second UK No.1 single with 'Rollercoaster'.

1999, Akio Morita the founder of Sony electronics died aged 78. The 1979 Sony Walkman transformed both Sony and consumers across the world.

1999, Tom Jones went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Reload', making the singer the oldest artist to score a UK No.1 album with new material.

1999, Eve was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Let There Be...Eve.’

2000, The Cars singer and bass player Benjamin Orr died of cancer at home in Atlanta at the age of 53. Sang lead vocals on the bands hits ‘Just What I Needed’, ‘Let's Go’ and ‘Drive’.

2000, John Lennon's assassin Mark Chapman was denied parole after serving 20 years in prison. Chapman was interviewed for 50 minutes by parole board members who concluded that releasing Chapman would 'deprecate the seriousness of the crime.'

2002, Original guitarist, vocalist from American psychedelic rock band Iron Butterfly Darryl DeLoach died of liver cancer at the age of 56.

2004, UK singer Joss Stone scored her first UK No.1 album with her second release ‘Mind Body & Soul.’

2008, Singer, producer and songwriter Johnny J (Johnny Jackson) died after jumping from a tier in a Los Angeles jail while serving a sentence for driving under the influence. He produced Tupac Shakur's albums All Eyez on Me and Me Against the World, as well as many of Shakur's subsequent posthumous albums. and Candyman.

October 3rd: Born on this day

1938, Born on this day, Eddie Cochran, singer, (1958 US No. 8 single 'Summertime Blues', 1960 UK No.1 single 'Three Steps To Heaven'). Killed in a car crash on 17th April 1960 aged 21.

1941, Born on this day, Chubby Checker, US singer, (Ernest Evans), 1960 US No.1 & UK No.14 single 'The Twist', 1962 UK No.2 single 'Let's Twist Again'). 'The Twist' is the only song to go to number 1 on the US singles charts twice. Once in 1960 and again in 1962.

1945, Born on this day, Antonio Martinez, Los Bravos, (1966 UK No.2 & US No.4 single 'Black Is Black'). First Spanish rock band to have a UK & US hit single.

1947, Born on this day, Lindsey Buckingham guitar, vocals, Fleetwood Mac, (1987 UK No.5 single 'Little Lies' and 1977 US No.1 single 'Dreams' from world wide No.1 album 'Rumours').

1950, Born on this day, Ronnie Laws, sax, Earth Wind and Fire, (1975 US No.1 single 'Shining Star', 1979 UK No.4 single 'After The Love Has Gone').

1954, Born on this day, Stevie Ray Vaughan, guitarist. He was killed in a helicopter crash on August 27th 1990. His family successfully sued the operators of the company for allowing an unqualified pilot to fly in fog and were awarded $2 million (£1.2 million). Vaughan played guitar on David Bowies Let's Dance album.

1960, Born on this day, Gail Greenwood bass, Belly, (1993 UK No. 23 single 'Feed The Tree').

1961, Born on this day, Robbie Jaymes, Modern, Romance, (1982 UK No.4 single 'Best Years Of Our Lives').

1962, Born on this day, Tommy Lee, drummer and founding member of Motley Crue, (1988 UK No.23 single 'You're All I Need' & 1989 US No.1 & UK No.4 album 'Dr Feelgood'). Lee also founded rap-metal band Methods of Mayhem, and has pursued solo musical projects. He has been married to model Elaine Starchuk and actresses Heather Locklear and Pamela Anderson.

1966, Born on this day, Dan Miller, guitarist, They Might Be Giants.

1969, Born on this day, Gwen Stefani, vocalist with No Doubt, (1997 UK No.1 single with ‘Don’t Speak’ and a 1997 No.1 US album 'Tragic Kingdom'). As a solo artist (2005 US No.1 single 'Hollaback Girl’ from the 2004 worldwide 2004 Top 5 album 'Love, Angel, Music, Baby').

1971, Born on this day, Kevin Richardson, singer, Backstreet Boys, (1997 US No.2 single 'Quit playing Games With My Heart', 1999 UK No.1 single 'I Want It That Way').

1975, Born on this day, India Arie Simpson, American soul, R&B singer, songwriter, (2006 US No.1 album Testimony: Vol. 1, Life & Relationship').

1978, Born on this day, Jake Shears, (Jason Sellards), vocals, Scissor Sisters, (2004 UK No.1 self-titled album, 2004 UK No. 12 single ‘Laura’).

1983, Born on this day, Danny O'Donoghue, singer-songwriter, The Script. 2008 UK No.1 self-titled album.

1984, Born on this day, Ashlee Simpson, US singer, (2004 US No.1 album ‘Autobiography’).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2011 at 12:53
October 4th: On this Day

1957, Winners at this years Annual NME readers poll included Pat Boone who was voted the world's No.1 singer, with Elvis Presley voted second. The top two UK group's were The King Brothers and The Stargazers.

1961, Bob Dylan played a showcase at New York's Carnegie Hall to 53 people.

1962, The Tornadoes were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the instrumental, 'Telstar', (named after a communication satellite). The track went on to be the first major hit from a UK act on the American chart also reaching No.1.

1963, The Beatles made their first appearance on the UK ITV pop show 'Ready Steady Go!'

1966, The Byrds played the first of a 13 night run at The Village Gate, New York City.

1967, A 10-date package tour of the UK kicked off at London's Finsbury Park, featuring Traffic, The Young Rascals, Vanilla Fudge, Art and Keith West.

1969, Creedence Clearwater Revival started a four week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Green River', the group's first US chart topper.

1969, The Beatles 'Abbey Road' album went to No.1 on the UK chart. The final studio recordings from the group featured two George Harrison songs 'Something' and 'Here Comes The Sun' plus 'Come Together', 'Sun King' and 'Golden Slumbers.' The cover supposedly contained clues adding to the ‘Paul Is Dead’ phenomenon: Paul is barefoot and the car number plate ‘LMW 281F’ supposedly referred to the fact that McCartney would be 28 years old if he was still alive. ‘LMW’ was said to stand for ‘Linda McCartney Weeps.’ And the four Beatles, represent; the priest (John, dressed in white), the Undertaker (Ringo in a black suit), the Corpse (Paul, in a suit but barefoot), and the Gravedigger (George, in jeans and a denim work shirt).

1970, US singer Janis Joplin was found dead at the Landmark Hotel Hollywood after an accidental heroin overdose. (1971 US No.1 single 'Me And Bobby McGee', 1971 US No.1 album 'Pearl').

1971, Pink Floyd played the first of four nights at the Roman Ampitheater, Pompeii, Italy for their Live in Pompeii album.

1973, The BBC broadcast the 500th edition of UK music show Top Of The Pops. Slade, Gary Glitter and The Osmonds all appeared.

1975, David Essex was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Hold Me Close', the singers second and last UK No.1.

1975, Pink Floyd went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Wish You Were Here'. The album featured a tribute to ex band member Syd Barrett, 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond'. Also No.1 in the US.

1978, Country singer Tammy Wynette, was abducted, beaten and held in her car for two hours by a kidnapper wearing a ski mask. He held a gun on her and forced her to drive 90 miles from Nashville, Tennessee. She was later released and the kidnapper escaped.

1980, Carly Simon collapsed on stage during a show in Pittsburgh suffering from nervous exhaustion.

1980, Queen started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Another One Bites The Dust.'

1980, Winners in the Melody Makers readers poll included, Kate Bush who won Best female singer, Peter Gabriel won Best male singer, Best guitarist went to Ritchie Blackmore, Phil Collins won Best drummer, Genesis won Band of the year, Best single went to Pink Floyd for ‘Another Brick in The Wall’, and Saxon won brightest hope.

1982, The Smiths made their live debut at the Ritz in Manchester England, supporting Blue Rondo A La Turk.

1983, Gary Numan appeared at The Odeon, Birmingham, England.

1986, Paul Simon started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Graceland.'

1997, Boyz II Men went to No.1 on the US singles chart with '4 Seasons Of Loneliness', the group's fifth US No.1. A No.10 hit in the UK.

1999, It was reported that the sister of Jimi Hendrix was planning to exhume her brothers body and move it to a pay-to view mausoleum. Other plans for the new site included a chance for fans to buy one of burial plots around the guitarist's new resting-place.

2000, Craig David picked up the awards for Best R&B Act Best UK Newcomer and Best UK Single for 'Fill Me In' at the Mobo awards.

2004, Canadian bassist Bruce Palmer died of a heart attack. Member of The Mynah Birds and The Buffalo Springfield. Also worked with Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young and Neil Young.

2005, Mike Gibbins, drummer with Badfinger died in his sleep at the age of 56. Badfinger had the 1970 UK No.4 & US No.7 single 'Come And Get It'.

2006, Former R Kelly employee (who claimed to have been a “mentor and guide” to Kelly since he was a teenager) Henry Vaughn filed a lawsuit against the singer accusing him of assault, false imprisonment, and a breach of contract that defrauded him of songwriting royalties. Vaughn also claimed that Kelly and his associates dragged him to the basement at Kelly’s Olympia Fields home and “repeatedly struck him about the face and body with his fists.

2007, Producer Phil Spector was set to be retried for the murder of actress Lana Clarkson following the collapse of the first trial in Sept of this year. The first trial ended with the jury deadlocked 10-2 favouring conviction. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Larry Paul Fidler set another hearing for the case on 23 October.

2007, The Rolling Stones set a new record for the top grossing tour of all time with their A Bigger Bang tour. The tour which ran from late 2005 to August 2007, earned the band £247m, ($437m) with The Stones playing to over 3.5 million people at 113 shows. The previous high was set by U2's Vertigo tour, which took place in 2005 and 2006, earning £220m, ($389m).

2009, Paramore went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Brand New Eyes’, the American bands third studio album.

October 4th: Born on this day

1929, Born on this day, Leroy Van Dyke. In 1961 he had a No.1 US country hit and No.5 pop hit with Walk On By. He had two other top-ten country hits, Auctioneer and If A Woman Answers.

1947, Born on this day, Jim Fielder, bass, Blood Sweat & Tears, (1969 US No.2 single 'Spinning Wheel', 1969 US No.12 & UK No.35 single 'You've Made Me So Very Happy').

1957, Born on this day, Barbara Kooyman, Timbuk 3, (1987 UK No.21 single 'The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades').

1959, Born on this day, Chris Lowe, keyboards, Pet Shop Boys, (1986 UK & US No.1 single 'West End Girls', plus three other UK No.1 singles and over 20 other UK Top 40 singles).

1961, Born on this day, Jon Secada, US singer, (1992 UK No. 5 single 'Just Another Day').

1963, Born on this day, Lena Zavaroni, UK singer, (1974 UK No.10 single 'Ma He's Making Eyes At Me'). She died on 1st October 1999 from to anorexia nervosa. She was discovered on TV talent show Opportunity Knocks, became the youngest British singer to earn a silver disc.

1965, Born on this day, Neil Sims drummer Catherine Wheel, (1992 UK No.35 single 'I Want To Touch You').

1984, Born on this day, Katina Sergeevna, singer, Tatu, (2003 UK No.1 single 'All The Things She Said').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2011 at 11:59
October 5th: On this Day

1958, Cliff Richard and The Shadows played their first gig together when they appeared at the Victoria Hall, Hanley, England.

1961, Cliff Richard's backing group The Shadows had their second UK No.1 single with 'Kon-Tiki.'

1962, The Beatles debut single 'Love Me Do' was released in the UK. It spent 26 week's on the chart peaking at No.4.

1963, The Rolling Stones played two shows at the Gaumont Theater in Watford, England.

1965, Johnny Cash was arrested crossing the Mexican border into El Paso, Texas after customs officials found 100’s of pills in his guitar case. He received a suspended jail sentence and a $1,000 fine.

1966, Jimi Hendrix, Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding played together for the first time, The Jimi Hendrix Experience were formed.

1967, The Doors played the final night of a five night run at Steve Paul's Scene in New York City.

1974, Mike Oldfields 'Tubular Bells' went to No.1 for the first time on the UK album chart 15 months after being released. It went on to sell over 10 million copies worldwide.

1974, Olivia Newton-John started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Honestly Love You', the singers first of five US chart toppers

1974, The Beach Boys went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Endless Summer', the group's second US No.1.

1975, Stevie Wonder appeared at the Wonder Dream Concert in Kingston, Jamaica, a Jamaican Institute for the Blind benefit concert. Along with Bob Marley, Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer, the three original Wailers, performing together for the last time.

1980, UK music weekly The NME had Joy Division's 'She's Lost Control' as single of the week.

1982, This week's UK Top 5 singles: No.5, The Jam, 'The Bitterest Pill', No.4, Culture Club, 'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me'', No.3, Shalamar, 'There It Is', No.2, Fat Larry's Band, 'Zoom', No.1, Musical Youth, 'Pass The Dutchie.'

1985, Midge Ure was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'If I Was.' The former Ultravox and Slik singers only solo No.1. The song features Mark King of Level 42 on bass guitar.

1987, Ex Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr began rehearsals with The Pretenders in preparation for the band supporting U2 on their North America tour.

1988, The Pixies appeared at The Mean Fiddler, London during a UK tour.

1991, Bryan Adams scored his first UK No.1 album with 'Waking Up The Neighbours.'

1991, Guns N' Roses started a two week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Use Your Illusion II'.

1991, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Good Vibrations', also featuring Loleatta Holloway, the song made No.14 in the UK.

1992, American singer Eddie Kendricks of The Temptations died aged 52 of lung cancer one year after having one lung removed. His was the lead voice on ‘The Way You Do The Things You Do’, ‘Get Ready’, and ‘Just My Imagination’. As a solo artist, Kendricks recorded several hits of his own during the 1970s, including the US No.1 single 'Keep On Truckin'.

1996, 'Breakfast At Tiffany's' by American group Deep Blue Something was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. The song is a reference to the classic 1960 Audrey Hepburn film of the same name.

1999, Roger Daltrey announced that The Who were reforming, making their first performance in Las Vegas on Oct 29th. The show was also to be broadcast live on the Internet.

1999, Travis kicked off a 20 date sold out UK tour at Barrowlands, Glasgow

2000, UK TV show Top Of The Pops issued a Top 40 chart based on singles that had spent the longest time on the UK chart. No.3 was 'My Way' by Frank Sinatra, No.2 'She Loves You', The Beatles and No.1 'Relax' by Frankie Goes To Hollywood'.

2000, Beatles' fans across the world rushed out to buy copies of the Fab Four's autobiography. Stores in Japan and Britain opened at midnight to satisfy demand for the book, the first written by the band members. Publishers said the 350,000-word volume, at a cost of £35, had already attracted more than 1.5m orders worldwide.

2003, Beyonce started a nine week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Baby Boy.' Outkast were at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Speakerboxxx / The Love Below.’

2006, Reggae legend Bob Marley was honoured with a heritage plaque at his former north London home at 34 Ridgmount Gardens in Camden. The event was part of Black History Month, a season of events promoting the contribution of African-Caribbean communities in London.

2006, Jeffrey Borer, who admitted secretly videotaping Michael Jackson on a private jet, was sentenced to six months of home detention and fined $10,000. Borer, who was the owner of private jet firm XtraJet, had instructed an employee to buy and install two video recorders on the plane.

2007, Isaac Hanson from US pop band Hanson had surgery to remove a blood clot from his lungs after being diagnosed with a potentially fatal condition. The guitarist who had developed Paget-Schroetter Syndrome was expected to make a full and speedy recovery.

2008, Pink started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singels chart with 'So What', the singers third UK No.1 hit.

October 5th: Born on this day

1938, Born on this day, Carlo Mastrangelo, Dion and the Belmonts, (1961 US No.1 & UK No.11 single 'Runaround Sue').

1939, Born on this day, Abraham Reichstadt, singer, (UK No.1 single in 1968 with 'Cinderella Rockefella' as Esther & Abi Ofarim).

1942, Born on this day, Richard Street, The Temptations, (1971 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Just My Imagination' and the re-issued 'My Girl' UK No.2 in 1992).

1943, Born on this day, singer, guitarist, Steve Miller, (1974 US No.1 & 1990 UK No.1 single 'The Joker').

1947, Born on this day, Brian Johnson, vocals, Geordie, (1973 UK No.6 single 'Because Of You'). Joined AC/DC in 1980, after the death of Bon Scott. 1980 UK No.1 & US No.4 album 'Back in Black' sold over 10 million copies.

1948, Born on this day, Lucius Ross, Funkadelic, (1978 US No.16 album 'One Nation Under A Groove').

1949, Born on this day, Brian Connolly, vocals, Sweet, (1973 UK No.1 single 'Blockbuster', plus 14 other UK Top 40 singles). Connolly died of kidney and liver failure on 10th February 1997.

1950, Born on this day, Eddie Clarke, Motorhead, (1980 UK No.15 single 'Ace Of Spades').

1952, Born on this day, Harold Faltemeyer, (1985 UK No.2 7 US No.3 single 'Axel F').

1954, Bob Geldof, Irish singer, songwriter, actor and political activist. The Boomtown Rats, (1979 UK No.1 single 'I Don't Like Mondays' plus 10 other UK Top 40 singles). Geldof was the driving force behind the Band Aid relief project after seeing a BBC news report on the famine in Ethiopia. He called Midge Ure from Ultravox, and together they co-wrote the song, 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' Co-founded Planet 24, a television production company that has made such programs as The Big Breakfast, The Word and Survivor.

1955, Born on this day, Leo Barnes, Hothouse Flowers, (1988 UK No.11 single 'Don't Go').

1955, Born on this day, Russell Craig Mael, Sparks, (1974 UK No.2 single 'This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us').

1957, Born on this day, Lee Thompson, sax, vocals, Madness, (1982 UK No.1 single 'House Of Fun' & over 20 other UK top 40 hits).

1960, Born on this day, Paul Heard, M People, (1993 UK No.2 single 'Moving On Up', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles).

1961, Born on this day, David Bryson, guitar, Counting Crows, (1994 UK No.28 single 'Mr Jones', 1996 US No.1 album, 'Recovering The Satellites').

1966, Born on this day, Dave Dederer, Presidents Of The U.S.A. (1996 UK No.8 single 'Peaches').

1977, Born on this day, Kele Le Roc, (1998 UK No.8 single 'Little Bit Of Lovin').

1978, Born on this day, James Valentine, guitarist, Maroon 5, (2004 UK No.1 album ‘Songs About Jane’, 2004 US No.1 & UK No.4 single ‘She Will Be Loved’).

1985, Born on this day, Nicola Roberts, vocals, Girls Aloud, (2002 UK No.1 single 'Sound Of The Underground', and over 20 UK Top 20 singles.).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2011 at 12:17
October 6th: On this Day

1959, Jerry Keller was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Here Comes Summer'. A one hit wonder, Keller went on to be a vocalist for television jingles throughout the 1970s and 1980s.

1963, The Yardbirds appeared at Studio 51, Leicester Square, London.

1964, The Beatles spent the afternoon recording 'Eight Days A Week' at Abbey Road studios in London. Late evening was spent at The Ad Lib Club, London, partying with The Ronettes and Mick Jagger.

1967, The Jimi Hendrix Experience recorded a session for the UK BBC radio show 'Top Gear.' Stevie Wonder who was also appearing on the show jammed with Hendrix.

1967, The Doors appeared at the Cal State Gymnasium, Los Angeles, California. With The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and The Sunshine Company.

1967, Pink Floyd appeared at the Miss Teenage Brighton Contest, Top Rank Suite, Brighton, England, playing the musical interlude during the contest.

1969, George Harrison's song 'Something' was released as the "A" side of a Beatles' 45, a first for Harrison. Along with Lennon and McCartney's Come Together, the single will reach No.1 in the US next month.

1970, The US Top 5 singles: at 5, 'All Right Now' by Free, 4, 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough', Diana Ross, 3, 'Candida', Dawn, 2, 'I'll Be There', Jackson Five and No.1, 'Cracklin' Rose,' Neil Diamond.

1973, Cher started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Half-Breed', the singers second US No.1. The single didn't chart in the UK.

1973, Slade scored their second UK No.1 album when 'Sladest' started a three week-run at the top of the charts.

1978, Australia’s ‘King of rock 'n' roll’ Johnny O’Keefe died aged 43 of a heart attack. He was the first Australian rock’n’roll performer to tour the United States, and Australia’s most successful chart performer, with 29 Top 40 hits between 1958 and 1974,. O’Keefe’s 1958 hit, ‘Real Wild Child’, was covered by Iggy Pop in 1986.

1978, Abba members Benny Andersson and Anni-Frid Lyngstad married.

1979, Robert John went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Sad Eyes', a No.31 in the UK.

1979, Buzzcocks, supported by Joy Division appeared at the Odeon Theatre, Edinburgh, Scotland, tickets £2.50

1980, John Lydon was arrested by Irish police for assault after a pub brawl in Dublin.

1980, The Bee Gees sued their record company Polygram and the bands manager Robert Stigwood for fraud.

1984, David Bowie scored his sixth UK No.1 album with 'Tonight', featuring the single 'Blue Jean'.

1990, Maxi Priest went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Close To You', a No.7 hit in the UK.

1991, Michael Jackson gave away the bride at Elizabeth Taylor's seventh wedding, held at Jackson's Neverland Ranch. The Groom was construction worker Larry Fortensky, whom Taylor would divorce in 1997.

1996, Celine Dion was at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Falling Into You'.

1998, A music industry poll was published by London Magazine 'Time Out', naming the top stars from the past 30 years. 5th place was Marvin Gaye, 4th; James Brown, 3rd; Bob Marley, 2nd; The Beatles and first place went to David Bowie.

1999, Winners at The Mobo Awards included Kele Le Roc, for best newcomer and best single. Shanks & Bigfoot won best dance act. TLC won best video for 'No Scrubs'. Lauryn Hill, won best International act and Tina Turner won a Lifetime Achievement Award.

2000, Manhattan Supreme Court sentenced rapper Busta Rhymes to five years probation after pleading guilty to a gun possession charge.

2002, Elvis Presley started a three week run at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Elvis 30 #1 Hits.’

2004, Britney Spears threw a full cup of cola over a photographer. The snapper was waiting to take pictures of the singer and her new husband outside a subway take-away shop in Malibu, California.

2005, A Rolling Stones concert at the University of Virginia, in the US, was halted eight songs into the show at the Scott Stadium after police received a bomb threat targeting the stage area. A 45-minute police sweep of the area found nothing unusual, and the band completed the show. The Stones were touring to promote their latest album, 'A Bigger Bang.'

2007, Bruce Springsteen was being sued for $850,000 (£415,973) by a man who claimed he backed out of a contract to buy a horse. Springsteen and his wife Patti Scialfa were both named in legal documents filed in Florida by Todd Minikus. He claimed the couple pulled out of a deal to pay $650,000 (£358,097) for a horse, named Pavarotti.

2007, Queen's groundbreaking promo for their 1975 hit Bohemian Rhapsody was named the UK's best music video in a survey of music fans. Out of 1,051 adults polled by O2, 30% named the six-minute video, (which took only three hours to shoot and cost a mere £3,500 to make), their favourite.

October 6th: Born on this day

1917, Born on this day, Bob Neal, ex DJ, agent and one time Elvis Presley manager, died on 9th May 1983.

1945, Born on this day, Robin Shaw, The Flowerpot Men. (1967 UK No.4 single 'Let's Go to Francisco').

1948, Born on this day, Millie Small, (Millie), 1964 US & UK No.2 single 'My Boy Lollipop).

1949, Born on this day, Bobby Farrell, Boney M, (1978 UK No.1 & US No.30 single 'Rivers of Babylon').

1949, Born on this day, Thomas McClary, guitar, The Commodores, (1978 UK & US No.1 single 'Three Times A Lady').

1951, Born on this day, David Hidalgo, Los Lobos (1987 UK & US No.1 single 'La Bamba').

1951, Born on this day, Gavin Sutherland, The Sutherland Brothers, (1976 UK No.5 single 'Arms Of Mary'. Wrote the million seller 'Sailing' a No.1 for Rod Stewart in 1975).

1951, Born on this day, Kevin Cronin, REO Speedwagon, (1981 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Keep On Loving You').

1958, Born on this day, Tim Mooney, drums, American Music Club, (1993 album 'Mercury').

1960, Born on this day, Richard Jobson, The Skids, (1979 UK No.10 single 'Into The Valley'), Armoury Show, TV presenter.

1961, Born on this day, Tim Burgess, Drums, T'Pau, (1987 UK No.1 single 'China In Your Hand', 1987 US No.4 single 'Heart and Soul').

1964, Born on this day, Matthew Sweet, singer guitarist, (solo single 'Girlfriend'). The Thorns.

1966, Born on this day, Tommy Stinson, bass, The Replacements, (1984 album 'Let It Be'). Also worked with Guns N' Roses.

1982, Born on this day, William Pierce, synthesiser, bass, guitar. percussion, Arcade Fire, (2005 album ‘Funeral’).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2011 at 12:16
October 7th: On this Day

1961, The Platters, Del Shannon, The Drifters, Brook Benton, U.S. Bonds, Dee Clark, The Clefftones and Curtis Lee all appeared at Wichita Forum, Kansas.

1963, The Rolling Stones recorded the Lennon and McCartney penned song ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’ at De Lane Lea Studios in London.

1966, Johnny Kidd was killed in a car crash while on UK tour in Radcliffe, Manchester, aged 27. Kidd had the 1960 UK No.1 single 'Shakin' All Over'.

1966, Smiley Lewis, New Orleans R&B singer, died of stomach cancer. Wrote 'One Night' covered by Elvis Presley and 'I Hear You Knocking' 1955 US No.2 for Gale Storm plus UK No.1 & US No.2 for Dave Edmunds'.

1966, The Rolling Stones made their last appearance on UK TV Pop show 'Ready Steady Go!'

1967, Cass Elliot from The Mamas And The Papas spent the night in a London jail after being accused of stealing from a hotel. A TV and concert appearance had to be cancelled.

1967, The Beatles rejected an offer of $1 million from promoter Sid Bernstein to make a second appearance at New York's Shea Stadium. Bernstein had originally brought the group to Shea in August 1965.

1975, John Lennon was awarded his ‘Green Card’ - permanent residency status, at a hearing in New York which overturned previous efforts by the US Government to deport him. The three judge panel of the US Court of Appeals ruled that his 1968 arrest in Britain for possession of marijuana was "contrary to US ideas of due process and was invalid as a means of banishing the former Beatle from America."

1978, The Buzzcocks appeared at The Liverpool Empire, England.

1978, US Music magazine Billboard reported that Marvin Gaye had twice filed bankruptcy papers earlier in the year, with debts of $7 million.

1978, The film soundtrack to 'Grease' featuring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John started a 13 week run at No.1 on the UK chart.

1982, Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page was given a 12-month conditional discharge after being found guilty of possessing cocaine.

1984, Big Country kicked off an 11 date UK tour at The Glasgow Apollo.

1989, Janet Jackson scored her second US No.1 single with 'Miss You Much', a No.22 hit in the UK.

1989, Paula Abdul went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Forever Your Girl'. Abdul spent sixty-four consecutive weeks on the Billboard 200 before hitting number one, making it the longest time for an album to reach the number one spot.

1989, Tears For Fears scored their second UK No.1 album with 'The Seeds Of Love.'

1995, Alanis Morissette went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Jagged Little Pill'. The album went on to become the biggest selling album ever by a female artist with sales over 30m.

1999, It was reported that four musicians who claimed they worked on her 'Miseducation' album were suing Lauryn Hill. The musicians were seeking unpaid royalties for co writers and producers.

1999, Winners at the Irish Hot Press awards included The Corrs for best Irish band, Andrea Corr won best female singer, Divine Comedy won best Irish band, the bands singer Neil Hannon won best male singer and Westlife won best pop act.

2002, Mick Jagger donated £100,000 to his old Grammar school in Dartford to help pay for a music director and buy musical instruments. The new centre was also named after Mick Jagger.

2004, 53 year old Motley Crue guitarist Mick Mars had a hip replacement operation in a LA hospital.

2005, Boy George was arrested in New York after Police found traces of drugs in his apartment. George had called the police after he thought somebody was breaking into his apartment. When police arrived and made a search they found traces of cocaine on a computer table.

2006, Babyshambles postponed their UK tour to give singer Pete Doherty more time to recover from drug treatment. The band postponed their five remaining dates to allow him to continue his "excellent" rehab efforts.

2007, 25 year-old Hip-hop artist Lil' Wayne was arrested during a US tour after a concert in Idaho on a warrant stemming from a drug possession charge. Because of the nature of the charges, the rapper - real name Dwayne Michael Carter Jr - was not eligible for bail.

2007, Bruce Springsteen went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Magic', the singer, songwriter's 15th studio album and 7th UK No.1. Also a US No.1 album.

2007, Rascal Flatts were at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Still Feels Good' the American country pop bands fifth studio album and third No.1.

2009, Monkees vocalist Davy Jones ruled out ever reuniting with his former band mates after launching a scathing attack on each of his old pals in The National Enquirer. "It's not a case of dollars and cents. It's a case of satisfying yourself. I don't have anything to prove. The Monkees proved it for me."

October 7th: Born on this day

1927, Born on this day, American singer Al Martino, (1952 US & UK No.1 single 'Here In My Heart'. The first No.1 in the NME singles chart. 1963 US No.3 'I Love You Because'). Martino played Johnny Fontane in 1972 film The Godfather. Died on 13th Oct 2009 aged 82.

1939, Born on this day, Colin Cooper, Climax Blues Band, (1977 US No.3 & 1976 UK No.10 single 'Couldn't Get It Right'). Died on 3rd July 2008.

1941, Born on this day, Martin Murray, The Honeycombs, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Have I The Right').

1941, Born on this day, Tony Silvester, Main Ingredient, (1974 US No.10 & UK No.27 single 'Just Don't Want To Be Lonely').

1945, Born on this day, Kevin Godley, drums, vocals, 10cc, (1975 UK No.1 & US No.2 single 'I'm Not In Love', plus 10 other UK Top 30 hits including 2 No.1's). Godley And Creme (1981 UK No.3 single 'Under Your Thumb'). Video producer.

1949, Born on this day, David Hope, Kansas, (1978 US No.3 single 'Dust In The Wind', 1978 UK No.59 single 'Carry On Wayward Son').

1951, Born on this day, John Cougar Mellencamp, singer, songwriter, (1982 US No.1 & UK No.25 single 'Jack and Diane', 1982 US No.1 album American Fool').

1953, Born on this day, Tico Torres, drums, Bon Jovi, (1987 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Livin' On A Prayer', 1986 US No.1 album 'Slippery When Wet' has sold over 8 million copies world wide).

1959, Born on this day, David Taylor, Edison Lighthouse, (1970 UK No.1 single 'Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes').

1959, Born on this day, Simon Cowell, record executive and producer, judge on TV shows Popstars, Pop Idol and American Idol. Notorious for his uncompromisingly harsh and controversial criticism of contestants.

1964, Born on this day, Sam Brown, UK singer, (1989 UK No.4 single 'Stop'), Jools Holland Band.

1967, Born on this day, Toni Braxton, singer, (1996 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Un Break My Heart').

1968, Born on this day, Thom York, vocals, guitar, keyboards, Radiohead, (1993 UK No.7 single 'Creep', 1997 UK No.1 & US No.21 album 'OK Computer', 2000 UK & US No.1 album 'Kid A').

1969, Born on this day, Leeroy Thornhill, dancer, Prodigy, (1996 UK No.1 single 'Firestarter', 1997 UK & US No.1 album 'The Fat Of The Land').

1976, Born on this day, Taylor Hicks, US soul singer, songwriter, 2006 American Idol winner, (2006 US No.1 single ‘Do I Make You Proud’).

1978, Born on this day, Alesha Dixon, Mis- Teeq, (2001 UK No.2 single 'All I Want').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2011 at 12:53
October 8th: On this Day

1955, Jimmy Young was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the theme song from the James Stewart western 'The Man From Laramie', the singers second UK No.1.

1964, Roy Orbison was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Oh Pretty Woman', his third UK No.1.

1964, Working at Abbey Road studios in London, The Beatles recorded their next single ‘She's a Woman’ in seven takes plus overdubs, recording the song from start to finish in five hours.

1965, During a UK The Rolling Stones appeared at The ABC, Stockton on Tees. Also on the bill, Spencer Davis Group, Unit Four + 2, The Checkmates, The End, and Charles Dickens and The Habits.

1965, The Florescents supported by The Castiles, which featured a young singer called Bruce Springsteen appeared at the I.B. Club in Howell, New Jersey. This was The Castiles first publicly advertised nightclub appearance. Admission was $1.00

1966, Cream drummer Ginger Baker collapsed during a gig at Sussex University, England after playing a 20 minute drum solo. He recovered in a local hospital.

1967, Jimi Hendrix, Arthur Brown and John's Children all appeared at the Saville Theatre in London, England.

1969, Humble Pie supported by David Bowie appeared at The Coventry Theatre in England.

1976, Rainbow appeared at the Luxor Theater, Hoensbroek, Holland supported by AC/DC.

1977, One half of TV cop show "Starsky & Hutch" (he was blonde Hutch), David Soul was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Silver Lady', his second and last UK No.1 single.

1982, R.E.M. appeared at the Peppermint Lounge, New York City, supported by The Fleshtones.

1987, The three members from ZZ Top made advance bookings for seats on the first passenger flight to the Moon. The boys are still waiting for confirmation of the trip.

1987, Chuck Berry was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. His film biography, Hail, Hail Rock & Roll also premiered on the same night.

1988, Def Leppard were at No.1 in the US singles chart with 'Love Bites.'

1988, On their 12th single release, U2 scored their first UK No.1 with 'Desire.' The track which was also a US No.3 hit was taken from their album 'Rattle And Hum.'

1988, Pink Floyd's ‘Dark Side Of The Moon’ finally left Billboard's Hot 200 Album Chart after a record breaking 741 weeks.

1992, The US Postal Service issued a set of commemorative stamps to celebrate pop music legends. The stamps included Elvis Presley, Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, Otis Redding, Ritchie Valens, Clyde McPhatter and Dinah Washington.

2000, All Saints went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Black Coffee'. The girl group's 5th and final No.1, taken from their album 'Saints & Sinners'.

2000, Christina Aguilera started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Come On Over Baby.'

2000, Radiohead started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Kid A'. Also No. in the US.

2000, Mystikal was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Let’s Get Ready.’

2003, Coldplay singer Chris Martin asked Australian police to drop a charge of malicious damage after allegedly attacking a photographer's car. Martin was charged in July after breaking a windscreen with a rock after being photographed surfing. Martin did not appear in court at Byron Bay, New South Wales, when his lawyer, Megan Cusack, asked for the charge to be dropped.

2004, Britney Spears split with the manager who had guided her career since she was 13 years old. Larry Rudolph said he and the singer had "mutually agreed not to renew their nine-year management relationship".

2006, The Killers started a three week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Sam's Town' the US bands second album.

2007, Arctic Monkeys were named the best act in the world at this year’s Q Awards held in London. Best album went to Amy Winehouse's Back to Black and Muse won Best live act. Manic Street Preachers won the award for the year's top track for ‘Your Love Alone is Not Enough’ and ‘Ruby’ by the Kaiser Chiefs won best video. Top breakthrough artist was Kate Nash, The icon of the year went to Sir Paul McCartney, Kylie Minogue was named idol of 2007, former Blur frontman Damon Albarn took the prize for inspiration, Classic songwriter award went to Billy Bragg, Innovation in sound award Sigur Ros and Lifetime achievement award went to Johnny Marr. The late Tony Wilson, founder of Manchester's Factory Records was named Q's hero.

October 8th: Born on this day

1934, Born on this day, Doc Green, The Drifters, (1960 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Save The Last Dance For Me').

1940, Born on this day Fred Cash, vocals, The Impressions, (1965 US No.7 single 'Lilies Of The Field').

1940, Born on this day George Bellamy, guitar, The Tornadoes, (1962 UK & US No.1 single 'Telstar'). The first major hit from a UK act on the American chart.

1941, Born on this day Dave Arbus, East Of Eden, (1971 UK No.7 single 'Jig A Jig').

1945, Born on this day Butch Rillera, Redbone, (1971 UK No.2 & US No.21 single 'The Witch Queen Of New Orleans').

1945, Born on this day Ray Royer, guitarist, Procol Harum, (1967 UK No.1 & US No.5 single 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale').

1947, Born on this day, Tony Wilson, Hot Chocolate, (1975 US No.3 single 'You Sexy Thing', 1977 UK No.1 single 'So You Win Again' plus over 25 other Top 40 hits).

1948, Born on this day, Johnny Ramone, guitar, The Ramones, (John Cummings), 1977 UK No.22 single 'Sheena Is A Punk Rocker'). Died of prostate cancer on 15th September 2004.

1949, Born on this day, Hamish Stewart, Average White Band, (1975 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Pick Up The Pieces'). Member of the Paul McCartney band during the 90's, now solo.

1949, Born on this day, Harry Bowens, Was Not Was, (1992 UK No.4 single 'Shake Your Head').

1959, Born on this day, James Johnstone, Pigbag, (1982 UK No.3 single 'Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag').

1967, Born on this day, Teddy Riley, US singer, Blackstreet, (1996 UK No. 9 & US No.1 'No Diggity', featuring Dr Dre).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2011 at 12:34
October 9th: On this Day

1958, Eddie Cochran recorded the classic song, 'C'mon Everybody', which became a 1959 UK No.6 single for Cochran and a 1979 hit for The Sex Pistols.

1961, Ray Charles started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hit The Road Jack', it reached No.6 on the UK chart.

1964, The Beach Boys recorded ‘Dance Dance Dance’, with Glen Campbell playing the lead guitar intro. It would go on to become their twelfth US Top 40 hit.

1965, The Beatles started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with the Paul McCartney ballad 'Yesterday', giving the group their tenth US No.1. Never released as a single in the UK until 1976.

1969, For the first time in the history of the show, the BBC’s Top Of The Pops producers refused to air the No. 1 song, ‘Je T’aime... Moi Non Plus’, the erotic French language love song by Serge Gainsbourg and actress Jane Birkin. The song, an instrumental with the voices of Gainsbourg and Birkin apparently recorded in the act of love and superimposed over the top, caused such a stir in Britain that the original label, Fontana, drop the record despite it being No. 2 on the charts. A small record company, Major Minor, buys the rights and saw the song climbs to the top, the first French language song to ever do so.

1970, Pink Floyd released their fourth album Atom Heart Mother which went on to top the UK charts.

1971, Rod Stewart was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Maggie May', (first released as a B side to 'Reason To Believe'). The first of six UK No.1's for Stewart, spent five weeks at the top of the chart.

1971, The Who played a small, low-key show at the University of Surrey, Guildford, with guest John Sebastian joining in on harmonica on ‘Magic Bus’ – the only outside musician to jam with The Who on stage. Backstage, the group celebrated John Entwistle’s 27th birthday.

1973, Elvis Presley and Priscilla divorced after six years of marriage. Priscilla was awarded property, $725,000 cash and $4,200 a month support.

1975, Sean Taro Ono Lennon was born, the only child of John Lennon by Yoko Ono. John Lennon retired from music for five years to become a house-husband. Sean went on to become a singer, songwriter, musician and actor.

1976, The Sex Pistols signed to EMI records for £40,000 ($68,000). The contract was terminated three months later with the label stopping production of the ‘Anarchy In The UK’ single and deleting it from its catalogue. EMI later issued a statement saying it felt unable to promote The Sex Pistols records in view of the adverse publicity generated over the last few months.

1976, Dr Feelgood scored their only No.1 UK album when 'Stupidity' went to the top of the charts.

1976, One hit wonders Walter Murphy and the Big Apple Band went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'A Fifth Of Beethoven', it made No.28 in the UK.

1978, Belgian singer songwriter Jacques Brel died of cancer aged 49. Artists who recorded his songs include, Ray Charles, Scott Walker, Alex Harvey, Frank Sinatra, Dusty Springfield, David Bowie, Nina Simone and Terry Jacks.

1978, The Human League appeared in their home town at Sheffield University, England.

1980, Gary Glitter was declared bankrupt, during the 70's he scored 15 UK top 40 singles including three No.1's.

1981, During a North American tour The Rolling Stones played the first of two nights at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, California. Support act was Prince, who dressed in his controversial bikini briefs and trench coat ran off stage after 15 minutes due to the crowd booing and throwing beer cans at him.

1984, Thomas The Tank Engine And Friends', narrated by Ringo Starr was shown for the first time on British TV.

1985, Marking what would have been John Lennon's 45th birthday, Yoko Ono formally opened the three and a half acre garden at the Strawberry Fields site in New York's Central Park. The area was planted with trees, shrubs and flowers gathered from across the world and with a $1m donation from Yoko.

1988, Cliff Gallup guitarist with Gene Vincent and His Blue Caps died of a heart attack. (1956 US No. 7 & UK No. 16 single 'Be Bop A Lula').

1990, All four members of The Stone Roses were each fined £3,000 after being found guilty of criminal damage at their former record companies offices.

1993, Nirvana entered the US album chart at No.1 with 'In Utero.'

1993, Take That had their second UK No.1 single with 'Relight My Fire'. The song which was written and released by Dan Hartman in 1979, where it topped the US dance charts for six weeks. The Take That version featured Scottish singer Lulu and gave her a No.1 hit nearly 30 years after her first hit in 1964.

1993, The Pet Shop Boys went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Very.'

1999, Mariah Carey featuring Jay-Z were at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Heartbreaker.'

1999, Eurythmics, George Michael, David Bowie, Robbie Williams and Bono all appeared at 'Netaid' an event to raise money for global poverty. The concerts in London, New York and Geneva were all broadcast live on the internet.

2000, Robbie Williams played the first of two sold out nights at Birmingham NEC, England.

2001, A man wrecked a $300,000 sports car owned by hip-hop star Missy Elliott after losing control of the 550-horsepower vehicle and crashed into a traffic sign and a tree. Joseph Johnson had taken the Lamborghini Diablo away from the garage where it was stored without permission for a late night spin. He was later sentenced to three years in jail and ordered to pay $170,000 for the car and $1,975 for curb repairs at the site of the accident.

2003, Ambrose Kappos, 37, of New York, was charged with three counts of stalking and harassing singer Sheryl Crow. He was arrested after being accused of sneaking into New York's Hammerstein Ballroom then trying to get into Crow's limousine when she left the venue. Mr Kappos' brother said he was harmless but "infatuated" with the singer.

2005, Robbie Williams launched his new album ‘Intensive Care’ at Berlin’s Velodrom. The gig was also broadcast to 27 cinemas and venues across Europe.

2005, Scottish band Franz Ferdinand went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their second album ‘You Could Have It So Much Better’.

2006, English indie rock band Razorlight scored their first UK No.1 single with 'America' the fourth track released from their self-titled second album.

October 9th: Born on this day

1937, Born on this day, Pat Burke, The Foundations, (1967 UK No.1 single 'Baby Now That I've Found You'. 1969 US No.3 single 'Build Me Up A Buttercup'.)

1940, Born on this day, John Lennon, singer, songwriter, guitarist, The Beatles who sold over 20m singles worldwide, (1962-1970), and scored more UK & US No.1 albums than any other group. 1967 'Sgt. Pepper's' is the UK's biggest selling album ever. In 1990 Lennon's song 'Imagine' was played simultaneously in 130 countries to commemorate what would've been Lennon's 50th birthday. He was shot dead in New York by Mark Chapman on 8th December 1980.

1944, Born on this day, John Entwistle, bass, The Who, (1965 UK No.2 single 'My Generation' plus over 20 other UK Top 40 hits, 16 US Top 40 singles and rock opera albums 'Tommy' & 'Quadrophenia'). Entwistle died in Las Vegas on 27th June 2002.

1948, Born on this day, Jackson Browne, singer, songwriter, (1978 UK No.12 single 'Stay', 1978 album 'Running On Empty', 1982 US No. 7 single 'Somebody's Baby').

1954, Born on this day, James Fearnley, accordion, The Pogues, (1987 UK No.8 single 'The Irish Rover').

1957, Born on this day, Ini Kamoze, born Cecil Campbell, (1995 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Here Comes The Hotstepper’).

1959, Born on this day, Thomas Wydler, Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, (1996 UK No.36 single with PJ Harvey, 'Henry Lee').

1967, Born on this day, Mat Osman, Suede, (1994 UK No.3 single 'Stay Together').

1968, Born on this day, Vickie Perks, We've Got A Fuzz Box And We're Gonna Use It, (1989 UK No.11 single 'International Rescue')

1970, Born on this day, Polly Harvey, guitar, vocals, PJ Harvey, 1993 UK No.27 single '50ft Queenie').

1973, Born on this day, Terry Balsamo, guitarist, (early member of Limp Bizkit), Evanescence, (2003 UK No.1 & US No.5 single ‘Bring Me To Life’, 2003 UK No.1 & US No.3 album ‘Fallen’).

1978, Born on this day, Nicholas Byrne, vocals, Westlife, (Irish boy band, scored 12 UK No.1 singles, first UK No.1 1999 'Swear It Again' plus 4 UK No.1 albums).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 11:04
October 10th: On this Day

1902, The Gibson Mandolin guitar company was formed. Gibson's first electric guitar the ES-150 was produced in 1936, and in 1946 Gibson introduced the P-90 single coil pickup, which was eventually used on the first Les Paul model made in 1952.

1939, The real Eleanor Rigby died in her sleep of unknown causes at the age of 44. The 1966 Beatles' song that featured her name wasn't written about her, as Paul McCartney's first draft of the song named the character Miss Daisy Hawkins. Eleanor Rigby's tombstone was noticed in the 1980s in the graveyard of St. Peter's Parish Church in Woolton, Liverpool, a few feet from where McCartney and Lennon had met for the first time in 1957.

1956, Elvis Presley's "Love Me Tender" entered the US chart for a 19 week stay, peaking at No.1 for 5 weeks. The song, from Presley's first film of the same name, was adapted from the tune "Aura Lee", written in 1861.

1959, The Quarry Men played at the Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool. Ken Brown, suffering from a heavy cold was unable to perform and after the show, an argument started when Paul McCartney says that Brown should not get a share of the performance fee since he had not performed. Lennon and Harrison side with McCartney and Brown quits The Quarry Men.

1959, Barry Gordy's first release on the newly established Motown Records, "Bad Girls" by The Miracles, entered the Billboard Pop chart.

1960, Larry Verne went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Mr Custer'. The song didn't chart in the UK.

1963, Little Richard, The Everly Brothers, Bo Diddley, The Rolling Stones, Micky Most, The Flintstones and Bob Bain all appeared at The Gaumont, Wolverhampton, England.

1963, Brian Poole and The Tremeloes were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Do You Love Me.' The group's only UK No.1.

1964, During a UK tour The Beatles appeared at De Montfort Hall in Leicester. Ringo Starr drove himself to the venue after taking delivery of a brand new Facel Vega, apparently reaching speeds of 140 MPH on the M6 motorway.

1970, The Carpenters were at No.2 on the US singles chart with 'We've Only Just Begun.' The song was originally written for a TV commercial advertising a bank.

1970, Black Sabbath were at No.1 on the UK chart with their second album 'Paranoid.' The album is now regarded as one of the classic Heavy Metal albums.

1970, Neil Diamond went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Cracklin' Rosie', his first No.1 as an artist. Diamond wrote the 1966 No.1 hit 'I'm A Believer' for The Monkees.

1970, The first issue of Sounds the British music paper was published. It was well known initially for giving away posters in the centre of the paper, Sounds closed on April 6, 1991.

1973, Rod Stewart & The Faces and Rory Gallagher appeared at San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego. California.

1978, Joe Perry and Steve Tyler from Aerosmith were injured after a cherry bomb was thrown on stage during a gig in Philadelphia. The group performed behind a safety fence for the rest of the tour.

1978, The second Stiff Records UK tour kicked off featuring; Wreckless Eric, Jona Lewie, Rachel Sweet, Lene Lovich and Micky Jupp. The UK tour was undertaken by train, and then continued on to the USA, without Jupp, who was afraid of flying.

1979, Fleetwood Mac were awarded a star on Hollywood's Walk Of Fame.

1980, The funeral took place of Led Zeppelin's drummer John Bonham. ‘Bonzo’ was found dead at guitarists Jimmy Page's house of what was described as asphyxiation, after inhaling his own vomit after excessive vodka consumption, (40 shots in 4 hours) aged 32.

1981, The Police went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Ghost In The Machine', the bands third No.1 LP.

1983, The first night on the Wham! Club fantastic tour kicked off in Aberdeen, Scotland.

1987, Whitesnake went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Here I Go Again', a No.9 hit in the UK in 1987.

1987, Wanda Nicholls made an official complaint that David Bowie raped her and bit her on the legs and back. Bowie dismissed the alleged incident, claiming Nicholls was 'publicity seeking.'

1992, Garth Brooks went to No.1 on the US album chart with, 'The Chase.' The album spent 35 weeks on the chart and sold over 6m copies.

1992, R.E.M. scored their second UK No.1 album with 'Automatic For The People', featuring the singles 'Drive', 'Everybody Hurts', 'Man On The Moon' and 'The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight.'

1999, American singer, songwriter and actor Hoyt Axton died of a heart attack in Victor, Montana aged 61. Wrote songs for, Elvis Presley, Three Dog Night, (1971 US No.1 Joy To The World), John Denver, Ringo Starr, Glen Campbell. His mother Mae Boren Axton wrote 'Heartbreak Hotel.'

1999, A charity auction selling Elvis Presley's belongings was held at The Grand Hotel, Las Vegas. A wristwatch sold for $32,500, a cigar box $25,000, an autographed baseball sold for $19,000, and a 1956 Lincoln Continental sold for $250,000.

1999, US teenager Christina Aguilera went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Genie In A Bottle.' The song spent 5 weeks at No.1 on the US chart and won Aguilera the Best New Artist Grammy for the year.

2000, Britney Spears made her UK live debut when she played the first of three sold out nights at London's Wembley Arena.

2002, Twelve protesters dressed as monkeys picketed outside the north Wales holiday home of former Stone Roses singer Ian Brown. The demonstrators argued Brown, was selling the five-bedroom house, in the small village of Llithfaen on the Llyn Peninsula for an inflated price - £150,000 - which local people could not afford. The monkey costumes worn by the anonymous protesters, referred to the name of Brown's recent solo album 'Unfinished Monkey Business.'

2004, Robbie Williams scored his sixth UK No.1 solo single with 'Radio', co-written with Stephen Duffy.

2007, Sting topped a list of the worst lyricists ever, for such alleged sins as name-dropping Russian novelist Vladimir Nabokov in the Police tune "Don't Stand So Close to Me," quoting a Volvo bumper sticker ("If You Love Someone Set Them Free"), and co-opting the works of Chaucer, St. Augustine and Shakespeare. The survey in Blender magazine placed Rush drummer Neil Peart at No. 2, Creed frontman Scott Stapp at No. 3 and Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher at No. 4 saying Gallagher "seemed incapable of following a metaphor through a single line, let alone a whole verse."

2009, Pearl Jam went to No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Backspacer’, the group’s ninth studio album.
2009, Boyzone singer Stephen Gately died suddenly at the age of 33 while on holiday in Majorca. Spanish police said there were no signs of suspicious circumstances, but the cause of death was not yet known. Gately was on holiday with his long-term partner Andy Cowles.

October 10th: Born on this day

1943, Born on this day, Denis D'Ell, The Honeycombs, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Have I The Right'). Died on 6th July 2005.

1945, Born on this day, Alan Cartwright, Procol Harum, (1967 UK No.1 & US No.5 single 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale').

1945, Born on this day, Jerry Lacroix, Blood Sweat & Tears, (1969 US No.12 & UK No. 35 single 'You've Made Me So Very Happy').

1946, Born on this day, John Prine, singer, songwriter, 1971 Vietnam War song 'Sam Stone' from the album 'John Prine.'

1951, Born on this day, Keith Grimes, guitarist, Eva Cassidy. (Only artist to score three posthumous UK No.1 albums, 2001 'Songbird',

2002 'Imagine', 2003 'American Tune'. 2001 UK No. 42 single 'Over The Rainbow').

1952, Born on this day, Sharon Osbourne, wife of Ozzy and star of MTV The Osbournes TV Show.

1955, Born on this day, David Lee Roth, vocals, Van Halen (1984 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Jump') & solo, (1988 UK No.27 single 'Just Like Paradise').

1955, Born on this day, Midge Ure, guitarist, singer, songwriter. First joined Slik, (1976 UK No.1 'Forever And Ever'), Rich Kids, (1978 UK No.24 'Rich Kids'), Ultravox, (1981 UK No.2 'Vienna'), Band Aid, (1985 UK No.1 'Do They Know It's Christmas') & solo (1985 UK No.1 'If I Was').

1955, Born on this day, Tanya Tucker, US country singer, 1991 Country Music Association singer of the year. Best known for her debut hit 'Delta Dawn' which she released when she was 13. She has topped the US country music charts 10 times. Starred in her own fly-on-the-wall TV show, Tuckerville, in 2005.

1959, Born on this day, Kirsty MacColl, UK singer, songwriter, (1985 UK No.7 single 'A New England', 1987 UK No.2 single with The Pogues, 'Fairytale Of New York'). MacColl was killed in a boating accident on 18th December 2000.

1960, Born on this day, Al Connelly, Glass Tiger, (1986 UK No.29 single 'Don't Forget Me, When I'm Gone').
1960, Born on this day, Eric Martin, singer, Mr. Big, (1992 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'To Be With You').

1961, Born on this day, Martin Kemp, bass, Spandau Ballet, (1983 UK No.1 single 'True', plus 16 other UK Top 40 singles). He is the brother of Gary who he appeared with in the British film The Krays.

1963, Born on this day, Jim Glennie, bass, James, (1991 UK No.2 single 'Sit Down').

1963, Born on this day, Jonny Male, guitar, Republica, (1997 UK No.7 single 'Drop Dead Gorgeous').

1964, Born on this day, Graham Crabb, drums, Pop Will Eat Itself, (1991 UK No.15 single 'X Y& Zee').

1967, Born on this day, Mike Malinin, guitar, vocals, Goo Goo Dolls, (1999 UK No. 26 single 'Iris', 2002 US No.3 album ‘Gutterflower’).

1973, Born on this day, Scott Morriss, bass, The Bluetones, (1996 UK No.2 single 'Slight Return').

1976, Born on this day, Richard Oakes, guitar, Suede, (1996 UK No.3 single 'Trash').

1979, Born on this day, Mya, (Marie Harrison), US singer, (2000 US No.2 single 'Case Of The Ex', 2001 US & UK No.1 single with Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim and Pink, 'Lady Marmalade').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2011 at 12:57
October 11th: On this Day

1955, Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash kicked off an eleven date tour of the Southern US states in Abilene, Texas.

1960, Aretha Franklin made her stage debut at the Village Vanguard in New York City.

1961, The Highwaymen were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Michael'. The US group's only UK Top 40 hit. The Highwaymen were US college students who broke up when they graduated.

1962, The Beatles made their first appearance on the UK singles chart with 'Love Me Do’, which peaked at No. 4 on the chart.

1964, The Who appeared at Wolsey Hall, Cheshunt, England.

1967, The Doors appeared at Danbury High School, Danbury, Connecticut. Before the group came on stage an announcer told the audience not to leave their seats during the performance or they would be escorted out of the venue. There was also a beauty pageant just prior to The Doors coming on stage.

1968, during a Beatles recording session at Abbey Road six saxophonists recorded parts for 'Savoy Truffle' for the forthcoming White Album. George Harrison distorted the saxophones to get the desired sound.

1969, One hit wonders Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Je t'aime... Moi non plus.' Banned by many radio stations for its sexual content and sounds, it is the only French language chart topper in the UK.

1974, John Denver was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Annie's Song.' The song was a tribute to his wife and was written in 10 minutes while he was on a ski lift.

1975, Neil Sedaka started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Bad Blood', his third No.1, the song featured Elton John on backing vocals.

1976, Pussycat started a four week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Mississippi' making them the first Dutch act to top the UK chart.

1978, Siouxsie And The Banshees, supported by Spizz Oil and The Human League all appeared at The Pavilion, Hemel Hempstead, England.

1980, The Police scored their second UK No.1 album with 'Zenyatta Mondatta.'

1986, Janet Jackson started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'When I Think Of You', her first US No.1, a No.10 hit in the UK.

1986, Madonna was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the title track from her album. 'True Blue' her third UK No.1. The title came from a favorite expression of her then husband Sean Penn and was a direct tribute to him.

1988, Former Beatle Ringo Starr and his wife Barbara started treatment for alcohol abuse at a clinic in Tucson, Arizona.

1989, Michael Jackson attended the opening ceremony of the Michael Jackson Auditorium at his former school, Gardner Street Elementary in Hollywood, California. In November, 2003, school officials covered over Jackson's name with painted plywood, leaving only the word "Auditorium" showing, after receiving requests from angry parents when Jackson was booked on suspicion of child molestation.

1990, Drummer Dave Grohl played his first gig with Nirvana when they appeared at the North Shore Surf Club in Olympia.

1991, Apple Computers settled a lawsuit launched by The Beatles' record company, Apple Corporation, over name and logo rights. The computer company reportedly paid $29 million to settle the suit.

1995, Tupac Shakur was released from Clinton Correctional Prison on $1.4 Million bail which was posted by Suge Knight. In return 2Pac signed a three album deal with Knight's Death Row Records.

1997, Elton John went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Candle In The Wind 97' A re-write of his 1974 hit about Marilyn Monroe. This version was raising funds for the Diana, Princess of Wales charity, following her death in Paris. It went on to become the biggest selling single in the world ever.

1997, The Verve started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Urban Hymns.'

1999, George Michael refused to let BBC TV screen footage of his appearance at the 'Netaid' concert because he was not happy with his performance.

1999, Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee was released on $5000 bail after facing charges relating to a riot at a gig in North Carolina in

1997. Lee allegedly incited the crowd to attack a guard and had also poured a drink over his head.

2003, Mojo magazine readers voted the studio session for Elvis Presley's debut single 'That's All Right' the most pivotal moment in rock history. Bob Dylan's switch from acoustic to electric guitars in 1965 came second, and 'White Riot, the debut single by The Clash released in 1977 was voted third.

2005, Rod Stewart received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame to honour a career spanning more than 40 years.

2005, Freddie Mercury's 1974 Rolls Royce was offered for auction on eBay by his family. The Silver Shadow luxury vehicle had already attracted bids of up to £8,400. It came with an unused box of tissues the singer always stored in the car.

2006, Madonna adopted a one-year-old boy in Malawi, Africa, the boy's father, Yohane Banda, told reporters "I know he will be very happy in America." The boy’s mother had died a week after he was born.

2007, Take That kicked off their Beautiful World European tour in Belfast ending in Manchester on 20 November 2007.

2009, Barbra Streisand went to No.1 on the US album charts with ‘Love Is the Answer’. Streisand's ninth No.1 album, making her the only artist to have a number one album in America in five different decades.

2009, 54-year-old Jo Wood, wife of The Rolling Stones' Ronnie Wood, was granted a divorce after 24 years of marriage on the grounds of adultery. The couple split in 2008 after the guitarist, 64, began a relationship with a 20-year-old woman.

2010, George Michael was released from Highpoint Prison in Suffolk, England after serving four of an eight week sentence for driving under the influence of drugs. The singer had been arrested after crashing his car into the front of a Snappy Snaps store in Hampstead, North London in July of this year.

October 11th: Born on this day

1946, Born on this day, Gary Mallaber, drums, Steve Miller Band, (1974 US No.1 & 1990 UK No.1 single 'The Joker').

1949, Born on this day, Daryl Hall, singer, songwriter, (Hall and Oates, 1982 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Maneater', plus five other US No.1's, solo 1986 UK No.28 single 'Dreamtime').

1950, Born on this day, Andrew Woolfolk, sax, Earth Wind and Fire, (1975 US No.1 single 'Shining Star', 1981 UK No.3 single 'Let's Groove').

1957, Born on this day, Blair Cunningham, drums, Haircut 100, (1982 UK No.3 single 'Love Plus One').

1962, Born on this day, Andy McCoy, Hanoi Rocks, (1984 UK No.61 single 'Up Around The Bend').

1962, Born on this day, Scott Johnson, Gin Blossoms, (1994 UK No.24 single 'Hey Jealousy').

1971, Born on this day, MC Lyte, US female rapper, (1997 UK No.15 single, 'Cold Rock A Party').

1973, Born on this day, Brendan Brown, guitar, vocals, Wheatus, (2001 UK No 2 single 'Teenage Dirtbag').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2011 at 12:38
October 12th: On this Day

1955, The Chrysler Corporation launched high fidelity record players for their 1956 line-up of cars. The unit measured about four inches high and less than a foot wide and mounted under the instrument panel. The seven inch discs spun at 16 2/3 rpm and required almost three times the number of grooves per inch as an LP. The players were discontinued in 1961.

1957, During an Australian tour Little Richard publicly renounced rock 'n' roll and embraced God, telling a story of dreaming of his own damnation after praying to God when one of the engines on a plane he was on caught fire. The singer threw four diamond rings, valued at $8,000, into Sydney's Hunter River and soon after launched a Gospel career. Five years later, he would switch back to Rock.

1957, Buddy Holly & The Crickets, The Drifters and Chuck Berry all appeared at the Mission Beach Ballroom, San Diego, California.

1962, Little Richard, The Beatles, Billy J. Kramer and other local group's all appeared at The Tower Ballroom, Wallasey, Merseyside, England.

1963, Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs started a five week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Sugar Shack'.

1965, Working on their next album Rubber Soul at Abbey Road Studio’s London, The Beatles recorded ‘Run For Your Life’ in its entirety, in five takes. (Lennon later admits to lifting two lines from Elvis Presley's 1955 hit ‘Baby Let's Play House’). And another new Lennon song ‘This Bird Has Flown’, later known as ‘Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)’. The track included George Harrison's double-tracked sitar part, the first appearance of that Indian instrument on a pop record.

1967, The Doors appeared at The Surf Club, Nantasket Beach, Massachusetts, supported by Ultimate Spinach.

1968, Big Brother And The Holding Company went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Cheap Thrills'.

1968, The Hollies started a six-week run at No.1 on the UK album charts with their 'Greatest Hits.'

1969, A DJ on Detroit's WKNR radio station received a phone call telling him that if you play The Beatles 'Strawberry Fields Forever' backwards, you hear John Lennon say the words "I buried Paul." This started a worldwide rumour that Paul McCartney was dead.

1971, Gene Vincent (Vincent Eugene Craddock), died from a perforated ulcer, aged 36. Had the 1956 US No.7 & UK No.16 single 'Be Bop A Lula'. Appeared in the film, The Girl Can't Help It with Jayne Mansfield. In 1960, while on tour in the UK, Vincent and songwriter Sharon Sheeley were seriously injured the car crash that killed Eddie Cochran.

1974, Olivia Newton-John went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'If You Love Me, Let Me Know.'

1974, The Bay City Rollers went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their debut album 'Rollin.'

1975, Rod Stewart and The Faces made their final live appearance when they played at Nassau Coliseum, Long Island.

1978, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark made their live debut at Eric's, Liverpool, England.

1978, Whilst living at the Chelsea Hotel in New York City, Sex Pistol Sid Vicious called the police to say that someone had stabbed his girlfriend Nancy Spungen. He was arrested and charged with murder and placed in the detox unit of a New York prison.

1978, The Tom Robinson band appeared at Friars in Aylesbury with Stiff Little Fingers as support and the Johnny Thunders All Stars played at The Lyceum in London. His band featured Paul Cook and Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols.

1982, The Who supported by The Clash appeared at Shea Stadium, New York City.

1985, Ricky Wilson of the B-52's died of complications from aids. The B-52's, had the 1990 UK No.2 & US No.3 single 'Love Shack'.

1985, Jennifer Rush was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Power Of Love'. The song stayed at No.1 for five weeks and became the biggest selling single of the year and the biggest single ever for a woman in the UK. Celine Dion enjoyed a No.1 US hit with her version in 1993.

1985, Ready For The World went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Oh Sheila', a No.50 hit in the UK.

1991, Mariah Carey had her fifth No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Emotions' a No.17 hit in the UK.

1991, Simply Reds fourth album 'Stars' went to No.1 on the UK chart for the first of five times, featuring the singles 'Thrill Me', 'For Your Babies' and the title track 'Stars.' The album became the biggest seller of 1991 and 1992 in the UK spending 134 week's on the chart.

1992, Tupac Shakur was released from prison pending an appeal for sexual assault on $1.4 million bail.

1994, Pink Floyd played the first of a 15-night run at Earls Court, London, England. Less than a minute after the band had started playing 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond', a scaffolding stand holding 1200 fans, collapsed, throwing hundreds of people 20 feet to the ground. It took over an hour to free everyone from the twisted wreckage, ninety-six people were injured, with 36 needing hospital treatment. Six were detained overnight with back, neck and rib injuries. Pink Floyd sent a free T-shirt and a note of apology to all the fans who had been seated in the stand that collapsed. The show was immediately cancelled and re-scheduled.

1995, R.E.M. played the first of 3 nights at the Spectrum, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania supported by Grant Lee Buffalo.

1996, British dance duo The Chemical Brothers scored their first UK No.1 single with 'Setting Sun.' The song was written by Noel Gallagher and sung by Noel Gallagher of Oasis.

1997, US singer songwriter John Denver was killed when the light aircraft he was piloting crashed into Monterey Bay, California. Denver was aged 53.

1997, Boyz II Men were at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Evolution'.

1997, The Backstreet Boys were forced to cancel a show in Madrid after over 7,000 fans arrived for the 5,000 capacity show. More than 300 young girls had to be treated after fainting in the heat.

1999, Adrian Young drummer with No Doubt proposed to his girlfriend during a gig in San Francisco. Young came on to the stage before the bands encore and got down on bended knee with a ring, his girlfriend Nina accepted.

1999, The island of their birth, The Isle Of Man, issued six stamps honouring The Bee Gees. Their mother had run a local post office on the island.

2005, Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee suffered minor burns at a concert in Casper, Wyoming during a pyrotechnics explosion. Lee was treated at a local hospital for the injuries to his arm and face, which occurred while he was suspended from a wire 30 feet above the stage.

2005, Singer and Live Aid co-founder Midge Ure received an honorary degree from Dundee's University of Abertay. He said: "Having left school at the age of 15, I never expected to receive such an accolade."

2008, Oasis went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Dig Out Your Soul’ the band’s seventh and final studio album.

October 12th: Born on this day

1935, Born on this day, Luciano Pavarotti, Italian singer, (1990 UK No.2 single 'Nessun Dorma', 1990 UK No.1 album 'The Essential Pavorotti', spent 72 weeks on the UK chart).

1935, Born on this day, Sam Moore, singer, (Sam & Dave, 1964 UK No.24 & 1967 US No.2 single 'Soul Man').

1942, Born on this day, Melvin Franklin, vocals, The Temptations, (1971 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Just My Imagination' and re-issued 'My Girl' UK No.2 in 1992). He died on 23rd February 1995.

1948, Born on this day, Rick Parfitt, vocals, guitar, Status Quo, (1977 UK No.3 single 'Rockin' All Over The World', plus over 50 other UK Top 75 singles).

1955, Born on this day, Jane Siberry, Canadian singer, songwriter, (1989 album 'Bound By The Beauty').

1956, Born on this day, David Letts, (Dave Vanian), vocals, The Damned, (1986 UK No.3 single 'Eloise').

1960, Born on this day, Bob Mould, guitar, vocals, Husker Du, (1987 album 'Warehouse Songs And Stories), Sugar, (1992 album, Copper Blue').

1966, Born on this day, Brian Kennedy, Irish singer, songwriter, worked with Van Morrison band & solo, (1996 UK No.27 single 'Life, Love and Happiness', 1996 UK No.19 album 'A Better Man'). Appeared on Broadway in The River Dance.

1969, Born on this day, Martie Erwin, multi-instrumentalist, Dixie Chicks, (1999 UK No.26 single, 'There's Your Trouble', 2000 single 'Cowboy Take Me Away', 1999 US No.1 album Wide Open Space').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2011 at 11:56
October 13th: On this Day

1958, Frank Sinatra started a five-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely'.

1962, Don Everly collapsed during rehearsals on stage at the Prince of Wales Theatre in London on the eve of a 22 date Everly Brothers UK tour. He was flown back to the US for treatment and the tour continued with Phil Everly performing solo.

1963, The Beatles made their debut on ITV's 'Sunday Night at The London Palladium', topping the bill and transmitted live to an audience of 15 million viewers. They played, 'From Me To You', 'She Loves You', 'Twist and Shout' and 'I'll Get You.'

1965, The Who recorded 'My Generation', at Pye studios, London. When released as a single it reached No.2 on the UK chart, held off the No.1 position by The Seekers 'The Carnival Is Over'. Roger Daltrey would later say that he stuttered the lyrics to try to fit them to the music. The BBC initially refused to play the song because it did not want to offend people who stutter.

1965, Recording at Abbey Road studios for the album Rubber Soul, The Beatles begin and complete 'Drive My Car' in four takes plus overdubs.

1970, Janis Joplin's ashes were scattered at Stinson Beach in Marin County, California.

1973, The Rolling Stones started a four week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Goats Head Soup' the group's fourth US No.1.

1974, TV host Ed Sullivan died. Leader of the Ed Sullivan Singers and Orchestra. Introduced The Beatles and other UK acts to America via his Ed Sullivan TV show, from New York City, which ran from June 20, 1948 to June 6, 1971, on CBS every Sunday night at 8pm. The Beatles appearance on February 9th 1964 is considered a milestone in American pop culture and the beginning of the British Invasion in music. The broadcast drew an estimated 73 million viewers.

1975, Neil Young underwent an operation at a Los Angeles hospital to remove an object from his vocal cords.

1977, 32 year old Shirley Brickley of The Orlons was shot and killed by an intruder in her Philadelphia home. The Orlons had five US Top 20 hits in the 60’s including ‘The Wah Watusi’, ‘Don't Hang Up’ and ‘South Street’.

1979, Michael Jackson went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Don't Stop Till You Get Enough', his second US solo No.1, a No.3 hit in the UK.

1979, Reggatta De Blanc' the second album from The Police started a four-week run at No.1 in the UK. The album cost only £6,000 to record.

1979, Two album charts were published in the UK because of a change in chart collation, the two No.1's were 'Eat To The Beat' by Blondie, and 'Reggatta De Blanc' by The Police.

1984, Stevie Wonder started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Just Called To Say I Love You', his 7th US No.1, also No.1 in the UK.

1984, U2 scored their second UK No.1 album with 'The Unforgettable Fire.' The album was produced by Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois and featured the single 'Pride (In The Name Of Love').

1987, David Bowie played the first of two nights at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena in Los Angeles, California on the North American leg of The Glass Spider Tour.

1990, George Michael went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Praying For Time', his 6th US solo No.1.

1996, Peter Andre went to No.1 on the UK album chart with his album 'Natural.'

1999, BBC radio DJ Johnny Walker was convicted of possessing cocaine and fined £2,000. Walker was set up by The News Of The World who filmed the DJ taking the drug in a London hotel. BBC Radio 2 suspended him after the incident later reinstated him.

2000, UK newspaper The Mirror reported that Toni Braxton had pulled out of this years US Mobo awards after one of her breast implants had exploded. A spokesman for her Arista record label said "We don't comment on our artistes personal lives."

2001, Australian singer songwriter Peter Doyle died of throat cancer aged 52. Solo artist and a member of The New Seekers. Scored the hits, ‘What Have They Done To My Song Ma’, ‘Never Ending Song of Love’ and ‘I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing’ with The New Seekers.

2001, A 29 year-old man was arrested by Dutch police on suspicion of sending indecent and threatening messages to Spice Girl Mel C. The mail was alleged to be sexually explicit and included a death threat.

2002, UK rock band Muse took legal action against Celine Dion after she announced her forthcoming Las Vegas show would be called 'Muse'. Singer Matt Bellamy from the band said 'We don't want anyone to think we're Celine Dion's backing band.'

2002, Spanish girl group Las Ketchup went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Ketchup Song.' The song was also a No.1 in Italy, Greece, France, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Belgium, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, Romania, Argentina and Mexico.

2002, UK singer Will Young went to No.1 on the UK album chart with his debut album ‘From Now On.’

2004, The US Internal Revenue Service charged 63-year-old Ronald Isley, lead singer of the Isley Brothers, with tax evasion for failing to report income from royalties and performances by the band between 1997 and 2002. He was later found guilty and sentenced to three years in prison.

2006, Mayor Richard M. Daley awarded P. Diddy with a pair of cufflinks to commemorate the inauguration of an annual "Diddy Day" in the city of Chicago, USA.

2008, In a video message on his website, Ringo Starr announced that he no longer has time to sign autographs and asked fans not to send him any mail at all. "No more fan mail and no objects to be signed. Nothing." After finishing a tour of the US and Canada, he was dividing his time between Los Angeles, the South of France and his UK home in Surrey.

2009, Al Martino, a Pop crooner who scored over 10 hits including 'I Love You Because', 'Spanish Eyes' and 'I Love You More And More Every Day', died at the age of 82. He was often remembered for playing the Frank Sinatra-type role of Johnny Fontane in The Godfather. Martino was at No.1 on the first ever UK pop chart published on 8th Nov 1952 by the New Musical Express.

October 13th: Born on this day

1940, Born on this day, Chris Farlowe, singer, (1966 UK No.1 single 'Out Of Time', which was written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards).

1941, Born on this day, Paul Simon, singer, songwriter, (1970 UK & US No.1 single with Simon and Garfunkel, 'Bridge Over Trouble Water.' The duo's 1970 album 'Bridge Over Trouble Water' spent 307 weeks on the UK chart). Solo, (1986 UK No.4 single 'You Can Call Me Al', 1986 UK No.1 album 'Graceland' spent 115 weeks on the UK chart).

1944, Born on this day, Robert Lamm, vocals, keyboards, Chicago, (1976 UK & US No.1 single 'If You Leave Me Now').

1947, Born on this day, Sammy Hagar, Montrose, Van Halen, (1984 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Jump').

1948, Born on this day, John Ford Coley, England Dan & John Ford Coley, (1976 US No. 2 & UK No. 26 single, 'I'd Really Love To See You Tonight.)'

1948, Born on this day, Peter David Spencer, Smokie, (1975 UK No.3 single 'If You Think You Know How To Love Me').

1950, Born on this day, Simon Nicol, guitar, Fairport Convention, (1969 UK No.21 single 'Si Tu Dois Partir').

1959, Born on this day, Gerry Darby, Carmel, (1983 UK No.15 single 'Bad Day').

1959, Born on this day, Marie Osmond, singer and part of The Osmonds family, (1973 US No.5 & UK No.2 single 'Paper Roses').

1962, Born on this day, Rob Marche, guitar, Jo Boxers, (1983 UK No.3 single 'Boxer Beat').

1968, Born on this day, Carlos Marín, Il Divo, (2004 UK No.1 self-titled album, also number one in 13 countries around the world).

1970, Born on this day, Paul Potts, Welsh singer who became the winner of the first series of ITV's Britain's Got Talent, (2007 UK No.1 album 'One Chance').

1980, Born on this day, Ashanti Douglas, (2002 US No.1 single 'Foolish', 2002 US No.1 album, Ashanti').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2011 at 12:29
October 14th: On this Day

1957, The Everly Brothers had their first No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Wake Up Little Susie', (a No.2 hit in the UK).

1957, The Elvis Presley classic, ‘Jailhouse Rock’ was released. It become his ninth US number one single and stayed on the Billboard chart for nineteen weeks. The film clip from the movie where he sang the song is considered by many historians to be the first rock video.

1959, Bobby Darin was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Mack The Knife'. From Kurt Weill's Threepenny Opera, won the Grammy Award for Record of the Year in 1960.

1964, During a UK tour The Beatles played two shows at the ABC Cinema in Ardwick, Manchester.

1965, The Rolling Stones, The Spencer Davis Group, Unit 4 Plus 2, The Checkmates, The Habit, The End and Charlie Dickins all appeared at The Odeon, Birmingham during a UK tour.

1966, Pink Floyd played their first ever "underground" set when they appeared at All Saints Hall, Notting Hill, London, UK.

1967, Bobbie Gentry started a two-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Ode To Billie Joe'.

1967, The second series of The Monkees TV show started on BBC TV in the UK. Plans for the shows to be screened in colour were dropped, so it was aired in black & white.

1969, Police in New Jersey issued a warrant for the arrest of Frank Sinatra in relation to his connections with the Mafia.

1971, Music publishing firm, Arco Industries filed a $500,000 dollar lawsuit against Creedance Clearwater Revival's John Fogerty, claiming that Fogerty's song Travelin' Band "containd substantial material copied from Little Richard's Good Golly, Miss Molly". The suit was eventually dropped.

1972, Joe Cocker was arrested for possession of drugs after a show in Adelaide, Australia.

1972, Michael Jackson went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Ben', his first solo No.1. a No.7 hit in the UK.

1976, Aerosmith kicked off their first ever UK tour at Liverpool's Empire Theatre.

1987, Bryan Adams with support group T'Pau appeared at Newcastle City Hall, England.

1988, Def Leppard became first act in chart history to sell seven million copies of two consecutive LPs, with Pyromania' (released in 1983) and 'Hysteria.'

1988, Bruce Springsteen appeared at Estadio Mundialista, Mendoza, Argentina to a crowd of over 30,000. The concert was also aired on Chile TV.

1989, Motley Crue started a two-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Dr. Feelgood'.

1989, Tracy Chapman scored her second UK No.1 album with 'Crossroads'.

1990, Multi-Emmy and Grammy award-winning American composer, pianist and conductor, Leonard Bernstein died of pneumonia. Composed music for the 1957 musical 'West Side Story', and 'On The Waterfront'. Bernstein conducted the New York Philharmonic aged 25 and wrote three symphonies, two operas, five musicals, and numerous other pieces.

1996, Madonna gave birth to her first child Lourdes Maria Cicone Leon.

1998, Janet Jackson set off on a 10 date US tour at the Baltimore arena with *NSYNC as the opening act.

2000, The Beatles Anthology book was at No.1 on the New York Times non-fiction bestseller list.

2002, The Libertines released their debut album, the record entered the UK charts at Number 35 and went on to top end of year critics polls in several music magazines.

2004, Eric Clapton was suspended from driving in France after being caught speeding at 134mph in his Porsche 911 Turbo near Merceuil. He was given a 750 euro (£515) fine and his UK licence was confiscated. After paying his fine Clapton posed for photographs with French police and then left the scene in his Porsche - with his secretary behind the wheel.

2006, Ludacris was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Release Therapy’ the rappers fifth album release

2006, Freddy Fender, the Tex-Mex singer died of complications from lung cancer at the age of 69. Known for standards as ‘Before the Next Teardrop Falls’ (US No.1 in 1975) and ‘Wasted Days and Wasted Nights’.

2007, US rapper TI was arrested and charged with weapons offences just hours before he was due to perform and collect two awards at the BET Hip-Hop gala in Atlanta. The 27-year-old was arrested in a car park on suspicion of collecting machine guns and silencers bought for him by his bodyguard. His award for CD of the Year was accepted by rapper Common, who jointly won the prize with TI.

2007, Sugababes went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Change' the girl group's fifth album and second No.1.

2008, Illustrator and rock cartoonist Ray Lowry died. He contributed illustrations for NME, Punch, Private Eye and The Guardian and designed the artwork for The Clash album London Calling.

2009, Paul McCartney was named Songwriter of The Year at the 29th Annual ASCAP Awards in London, England. The awards presentation honored songwriters and publishers of the most performed works in the US during 2008.

October 14th: Born on this day

1940, Born on this day, Cliff Richard, (Harry Webb). Britain's most successful solo artist, his first hit was in 1958 the UK No.2 single 'Move It', then 1959 UK No.1 single 'Living Doll' and 1979 UK No.1 single 'We Don't talk Anymore', plus over 100 UK Top 40 hits). He once worked as a clerk at Fergusons TV factory.

1942, Born on this day, Billy Harrison, Them, (1965 UK No.2 single 'Here Comes The Night').

1945, Born on this day, Colin Hodgkinson, bass, Whitesnake, (1987 US No.1 & UK No.9 single 'Here I Go Again').

1946, Born on this day, Dan McCafferty, Nazareth, (1973 UK No.9 single 'Broken Down Angel').

1946, Born on this day, Justin Hayward, The Moody Blues, (1965 UK No.1 single 'Go Now' and 1968 UK No.19 single 'Nights In White Satin').

1948, Born on this day, Ivory Tilmon, Detroit Emeralds, (1973 UK No.7 single 'Feel The Need In Me').

1948, Born on this day, Marcia Barrett, Boney M, (1978 UK No.1 & US No.30 single 'Rivers Of Babylon').

1952, Born on this day, Chris Amoo, The Real Thing, (1976 UK No.1 single 'You To Me Are Everything').

1958, Born on this day, Thomas Dolby, solo, (1984 UK No.17 single 'Hyperactive'), Also member of Camera Club, Lene Lovich band, as a producer worked with Joni Mitchell, Prefab Sprout.

1958, Born on this day, Anthony Jude Pero, drummer, Twisted Sister, (1983 UK No.18 single 'I Am, I'm Me', 1984 album 'Stay Hungry').

1965, Born on this day, Karyn White, singer, (1991 US No.1 single 'Romantic', a No.23 hit in the UK).

1974, Born on this day, Natalie Maines, singer, songwriter, Dixie Chicks, (1999 UK No.26 single, 'There's Your Trouble', 2000 single 'Cowboy Take Me Away', 1999 US No.1 album 'Fly').

1975, Born on this day, Shaznay Lewis, vocals, All Saints, (1998 UK No.1 single 'Never Ever'). Solo.

1978, Born on this day, Usher, singer, (1998 UK No.1 single 'You Make Me Wanna', 1998 US No.1 single, 'Nice & Slow'. His 2004 album Confessions sold over a million copies in the US in its first week of release, selling the greatest amount of records in one week for any R&B artist).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>