Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On This Day(In Music )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2011 at 12:34
December 14th: On this Day

1962, Bill Wyman made his live debut with The Rollin' Stones at the Ricky Tick Club, Star and Garter Hotel in Windsor, England. The group were know as The Rollin' Stones during this period.

1963, American blues and jazz singer Dinah Washington died aged 39. Known as the ‘Queen of the Blues’ she scored the 1959 US No.8 Grammy Award wining single 'What A Diff'rence A Day Makes' and the 1961 hit 'September In The Rain'.

1963, The Beatles played a show for their Southern Area Fan Club at Wimbledon Palais, London. To prevent damage to the stage from fans the management of the Palais constructed a platform for The Beatles to perform on, surrounded by a steel cage.

1967, Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones was rushed to St Georges hospital in London after collapsing. A doctor reported Jones was tired and suffering from over strain and was also recovering from having some teeth out.

1968, Marvin Gaye scored his first US No.1 single when 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine' started a five-week run at the top. It was Marvin's 15th solo hit and also his first UK No.1 single in March 69.

1969, The Jackson Five made their first network television appearance in the US when they appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show.

1972, 'Born To Boogie' the Ringo Starr directed movie featuring T Rex premiered in London.

1973, Bruce Springsteen appeared at the Pinecrest Country Club, Shelton, Connecticut. Only 200 tickets were sold for the show.

1980, Yoko Ono called on fans to observe ten minutes of silence in memory of John Lennon. 30,000 gathered outside St George's Hall in Liverpool, while nearly 100,000 attend a memorial in New York's Central Park.

1981, During their Ghost In The Machine World Tour The Police played the first of three sold out nights at Wembley Arena, London, England.

1985, Whitney Houston scored her first UK No.1 single with 'Saving All My Love For You'. The song had been a minor hit for Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. in 1978 and was also a US No.1 for Houston.

1991, Michael Jackson started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Dangerous'.

1996, After presenting this week's edition of 'Top Of The Pops', John Peel was surprised to find he was the subject of the TV show 'This Is Your Life'.

1997, Garth Brooks was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Sevens’ his fourth US No.1 album.

1998, Billy Preston pleaded guilty to insurance fraud in a Los Angeles court and agreed to testify against six other defendants who allegedly participated in starting fires, staging thefts and rigging car crashes for which a total of 18 fraudulent insurance claims were filed. Preston received five years of probation and one year in jail to run concurrently with a sentence he was already serving for violating probation on a prior conviction for cocaine possession.

1999, Sir Paul McCartney appeared at The Cavern Club Liverpool, his last gig at the venue was in 1963. The show was filmed for TV and also went out live on the Internet.

2000, Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher recorded a cover version of Slade's 1973 number one 'Merry Xmas Everybody' for the Christmas Day edition of the BBC1 comedy show The Royle Family.

2003, Ozzy & Kelly Osbourne went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Changes' a remake of a track first sung by Ozzy on the Black Sabbath album Volume IV in 1972. It was the first father and daughter chart topper since Frank & Nancy Sinatra in 1967.

2003, Dido went back to No.1 on the UK album chart for another three weeks with ‘Life For Rent.’

2003, Alicia Keys was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘The Diary Of Alicia Keys’ the singers second US No.1.

2004, The funeral took place in Arlington, Texas for Damageplan and Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell, Eddie Van Halen, placed Darrell’s original black and yellow stripes guitar into the Kiss Kasket he was buried in. Several thousand fans and friends gathered at the Arlington Convention Center in Arlington, to mourn the guitarist’s death. Darrell was shot five times in the back of the head during a gig at the Alrosa Villa Club in Columbus on 8th Dec 04 by a mentally ill former US Marine. Damageplan's drum technician, John Brooks, and tour manager, Chris Paluska, were both injured in the incident.

2005, Philomena Ward the mother of X Factor contestant Shayne Ward was arrested on suspicion of assault after an alleged brawl at Manchester’s Piccadilly Tavern. A bouncer claimed he was punched during the incident. Shayne Ward went on to have the UK Christmas No.1 single with ‘That’s My Goal.’

December 14th: Born on this day

1932, Born on this day, Charlie Rich, singer, (1974 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'The Most Beautiful Girl'). Rich died on 25th July 1995.

1938, Born on this day, Gary Usher, producer, songwriter. Worked with The Byrds, co-wrote The Beach Boys 'In My Room'. Died on 25th May 1990.

1943, Born on this day, Frank Allen, The Searchers, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Needles And Pins').

1946, Born on this day, Jackie McAuley, Them, (1965 UK No.2 single 'Here Comes The Night').

1946, Born on this day, Jane Birkin, actress, singer, (1969 UK No.1 single with Serge Gainsbourg 'Je t'aime...Moi non plus', the only French language UK chart- topper).

1946, Born on this day, Joyce Vincent Wilson, singer, Dawn, (1971 UK & US No.1 single 'Knock Three Times', 1973 US & UK No.1 single 'Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree').

1949, Born on this day, Cliff Williams, bass player for AC/DC (he replaced Mark Evans in 1977). UK No.36 single with ‘Whole Lotta Rosie’, the bands 1980 UK No.1 & US No.14 album Back in Black sold over 49 million copies.

1958, Born on this day, Mike Scott, singer, songwriter, The Waterboys, (1991 UK No.3 single 'Whole Of The Moon', first released 1985).

1958, Born on this day, Peter 'Spider' Stacy, tin whistle, The Pogues, (1987 UK No.8 single 'The Irish Rover').

1966, Born on this day, Tim Skold, bass, Marilyn Manson, (1998 US No.1 album, 'Mechanical Animals', UK No. 12 single, 'The Dope Show').

1979, Born on this day, Sophie Monk, Bardot, winners of the Australian Popstars reality show, (2000 Australian No.1 single ‘Poison’, and 2000 Australian No.1 self-titled album). Now solo.

1988, Born on this day, Vanessa Hudgens, American actress and singer from High School Musical, as part of the cast had the 2006 US No.1 ‘High School Musical’ album and 2007, US No.1 ‘High School Musical 2’ album. Over 17 million viewers in the United States watched the TV premier of High School Musical; making it the highest rated basic cable broadcast in U.S. history.
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Sponsored Links

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2011 at 12:56
December 15th: On this Day

1943, American jazz musician, singer and composer, Fats Waller died of pneumonia on a train trip near Kansas City, Missouri. Wrote many songs including 'Ain't Misbehavin', 'Your Feet's Too Big' and 'The Reefer Song'. In 1926 Waller was kidnapped at gunpoint in Chicago and driven to a club owned by gangster Al Capone. Inside the club he was ordered to perform at what turned out to be a surprise birthday party for the gangster.

1944, Hank Williams married Audrey Guy. The ceremony took place at a filling station.

1956, Elvis Presley gave his final performance on Louisiana Hayride, a live radio program that was broadcast on KWKH in Shreveport, Louisiana. Presley made 50 appearances on the show. At the end of the show, Horace Logan first made the now legendary phrase ‘Elvis has left the building’.

1962, The Beatles played two separate shows at the same venue, the Majestic Ballroom in Birkenhead, Merseyside. First they played a standard Majestic booking then at midnight, the first-ever "Mersey Beat" poll awards show took place. As poll winners, The Beatles closed the show (at 4:00 am).

1969, John Lennon played what would be his final ever gig in the UK when he appeared at The Lyceum Ballroom, London, with the Plastic Ono Band in a UNICEF 'Peace For Christmas' benefit. George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Delaney and Bonnie, Billy Preston and The Who's drummer, Keith Moon also took part.

1973, Jermaine Jackson from The Jackson Five married the daughter of the boss of Motown Records, Hazel Gordy.

1973, Charlie Rich started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Most Beautiful Girl', the singers only No.1 single, a No.2 hit in the UK.

1973, David Cassidy went to No.1 on the UK album chart with his third solo album 'Dreams Are Nothin More Than Wishes.'

1977, The Sex Pistols were refused entry into the USA two days before a scheduled NBC TV appearance. Johnny Rotten because of a drugs conviction, Paul Cook & Sid Vicious because of 'moral turpitude' and Steve Jones because of his criminal record.

1979, U2 appeared at the Windsor Castle Pub, Harrow Road, London, admission was free.

1979, Pink Floyd started a five week run at #1 on the UK singles chart with 'Another Brick In The Wall, (Part 2),' their only UK chart topper. The song, which was also the final #1 single of the 1970s, received a Grammy nomination for Best Performance by a Rock Duo or Group, but Floyd lost to Bob Seger's Against the Wind.

1979, Released on the Anti- Pop label, a 28- minute mini- album priced at £2.50 by Wavis O'Shave, titled 'Anna Ford's Bum'. (Anna was a TV newsreader).

1984, 'Do They Know It's Christmas' by Band Aid entered the UK chart at No.1 and stayed at the top for five weeks. It became the biggest selling UK single of all time with sales over 3 and a half million. Band Aid was masterminded by former Boomtown Rats singer Bob Geldof, who had been moved by a TV news story of famine in Ethiopia. Geldof had the idea of raising funds with a one-off charity single featuring the cream of the current pop world. Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Paul Young, Culture Club, George Michael, Sting, Bono, Phil Collins, Paul Weller, Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt of Status Quo and Bananarama all appeared on the recording.

1988, Soul singer James Brown was sentenced to six years in prison for various offences including possession of weapons and resisting arrest.

1989, The Charlatans appeared at Winnington Rec, Northwich, Cheshire, England, tickets £3.00.

1990, Rod Stewart married New Zealand model Rachel Hunter in Beverly Hills. Stewart was quoted as saying 'I Found the Girl that I Want, I won't be putting my banana in anybody's fruit bowl from now on'. They split in 1999.

1990, Abba singer Agnetha Faltskog married Swedish surgeon Tomas Sonnenfeld.

1994, Bon Jovi guitarist Richie Sambora married actress Heather Locklear. The couple divorced in 2006.

1997, 'Spice World The Movie', featuring The Spice Girls premiered at The Empire, Leicester Sq, London. The following year it was nominated for the 'worst film' at the Golden Raspberry Awards.

1998, Backstreet Boys roadie Michael Barrett filed a $3 million lawsuit against the group claiming damages after a 50-pound cannon fell on his head during a show.

1999, Boy George was knocked unconscious when a mirror ball fell on his head during a show in Dorset, England.

1999, Former Sex Pistols manager Malcolm McLaren announced that he was running for the Mayor of London. He said he would be campaigning for brothels, pot shops and boozing in libraries. "I changed London with the Sex Pistols, I can change London as Mayor."

1999, Posh Spice Victoria Beckham knocked a crazed fan to the ground after he tried to grab her baby son Brooklyn as she left Harrods in London.

2001, American funk and soul singer Rufus Thomas died of heart failure aged 84. Recorded on Sun Records in the 1950s and on Stax Records in the 1960s and 1970s. Scored the 1963 US No.10 single 'Walking The Dog' and the 1970 UK No.18 & US No.28 single 'Do The Funky Chicken'. A street is named in his honor, just off Beale Street in Memphis.

2001, Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh was given an honorary Doctorate of Music from Kent State University in Ohio.

2002, Blue featuring Elton John went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word.' Previously a No.11 hit for Elton in 1976. It gave Elton only his 5th No 1 after over 30 years of hits!

2003, Courtney Love was sentenced to 18 months in drug rehabilitation after she admitted being under the influence of cocaine and opiates. She was banned from taking non-prescription drugs, drinking alcohol or being in places that serve alcohol.

2006, The co-founder of Atlantic Records Ahmet Ertegun died, aged 83. Ertegun who founded Atlantic Records with Herb Abramson in 1947 helped make Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin stars and signed the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin in the early 70s. He suffered a head injury when he fell at a Rolling Stones concert at New York's Beacon Theatre in October, and died after slipping into a coma.

2008, Madonna paid former husband Guy Ritchie around £50m as part of their divorce settlement. The singers US spokeswoman Liz Rosenberg told The Associated Press the figure included the value of the couple's Ashcombe home in England, and the financial part of the settlement had been worked out but custody of the couple's children had yet to be finalised.

2010, Various Pink Floyd items were sold at an Entertainment Memorabilia auction by Bonhams in Knightsbridge London. A demo pressing of the single 'Point Me To The Sky'/'Careful With That Axe Eugene' sold for £720. Pink Floyd signatures, in various blue marker pens on four separate pieces of paper mounted and framed together with a copy of 'Dark Side Of The Moon' sold for £624.00 and a demo pressing of the single by Syd Barrett, 'Octopus' / 'Golden Hair' from 1969, misspelt 'Barratt' corrected in ink on A-side, sold for £300.

December 15th: Born on this day

1919, Born on this day, Max Yasgur, owner of the Woodstock farm where the 1969 festival was held. Yasgur died of a heart attack on 8th February 1973 aged 53.

1922, Born on this day, Alan Freed, American DJ. The man who gave 'Rock 'n' Roll' its name. Died 20th January 1965.

1938, Born on this day, Jerry Wallace, US singer, (1959 US No.8 single 'Primrose Lane').

1939, Born on this day, Cindy Birdsong, The Supremes, (joined in 1967, 1969 UK No.3 single 'I'm Gonna make You Love Me'). Labelle, (1975 US No.1 & UK No.17, single 'Lady Marmalade').

1942, Born on this day, Dave Clark, Dave Clark Five, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Glad All Over', 1965 US No.1 single 'Over And Over', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles).

1946, Born on this day, Harry Ray, Moments, (1970 US No.3 single 'Love On A Two-Way Street', 1975 UK No.3 single 'Girls').

1946, Born on this day, Carmine Appice, drummer, Vanilla Fudge, (1968 US No.6 single 'You Keep Me Hangin' On'). Also a member of Beck, Bogart and Appice and the Rod Stewart band.

1949, Born on this day, Don Johnson, actor, singer, (Miami Vice), (1986 US No.5 & UK No.46 single, 'Heartbeat').

1955, Born on this day, Paul Simonon, bass, The Clash, (1979 UK No. 11 single 'London Calling', 1982 US No. 8 single 'Rock The Casbah', 1991 UK No.1 single 'Should I Stay Or Should I Go', first released 1982, plus 15 other UK Top 40 singles).

1957, Born on this day, Tim Reynolds, American multi-instrumentalist, Dave Matthews Band. 2009 US No.1 album with Dave Matthews Band, ‘Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King’.

1961, Born on this day, Nick Beggs, bass, Kajagoogoo, (1983 UK No.1 single 'Too Shy'), also a member of the Howard Jones band.

1979, Born on this day, Edele Lynch and Keavy Lynch, singers, B*Witched, (1998 UK No.1 single 'C'est La Vie').

1980, Born on this day, Sergio Pizzorno, guitar, vocals, Kasabian, (2005 UK No.8 single 'Cutt Off', 2006 UK No.1 album ‘Empire’).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2011 at 10:41
December 16th: On this Day

1965, Released as a double A side The Beatles 'Day Tripper / We Can Work It Out', became their ninth UK No.1 and their third Christmas chart topper in a row. The single was a US No.1 in January 1966.

1966, The first Jimi Hendrix Experience single 'Hey Joe', was released in the UK on Polydor records, the track had been rejected by the Decca label. It went on to be a No.6 hit in the UK, but failed to chart in America.

1967, The Rolling Stones announced that Marianne Faithfull was the first signing to their 'Mother Earth' label.

1970, Five singles and five albums by Credence Clearwater Revival were certified gold in the US. The singles were: ‘Down on the Corner’, ‘Lookin out My Back Door’, ‘Travelin' Band’, ‘Bad Moon Rising’ and ‘Up around the Bend’. The LPs were ‘Cosmo's Factory’, ‘Willy and the Poor Boys’, ‘Green River’, ‘Bayou Country’ and ‘Credence Clearwater Revival’.

1971, Frank Zappa's '200 Motels' film opened at London's Piccadilly Classic Cinema.

1972, Billy Paul started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Me and Mrs Jones', a No.12 hit in the UK.

1974, Guitarist Mick Taylor announced he was leaving The Rolling Stones, saying he felt that now was the time to move on and do something new.

1983, Judas Priest played the first of two sold out nights at London's Hammersmith Odeon.

1984, Various stars named their favourite party songs in music magazine Smash Hits; Morrissey picked 'What's The World', by James, Siouxsie had 'Love Is The Drug' by Roxy Music, Robert Smith from The Cure picked 'Boogie Nights,' by Heatwave and Andy Partridge from XTC picked 'Take Five' by Dave Brubeck.'

1988, American soul and disco singer Sylvester James died of complications from AIDS in San Francisco aged 41. Scored the 1978 US No.36 & UK No.8 single 'You Make Me Feel, Mighty Real'. He sang back-up vocals for Aretha Franklin on her 1985 Who's Zoomin' Who? Album.

1989, Billy Joel went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Storm Front'.

1989, Jive Bunny and The Mastermixes had their third and final UK No.1 single with 'Let's Party'. With their first three releases making No.1, they equaled the record set by Gerry & The Pacemakers in 1963 and Frankie Goes To Hollywood in 1984.

1991, Chubby Checker filed a lawsuit against McDonald's in Canada seeking $14million for it's alleged use of an imitation of his voice. The song 'The Twist' had been used on a French fries commercial.

1993, Verve supported by Oasis appeared at The Krazy House, Liverpool, England.

1993, MTV aired Nirvana's 'Unplugged' session for the first time. The album featured an acoustic performance taped at Sony Music Studios in New York City on November 18, 1993.

1993, With stories beginning to surface about Michael Jackson's alleged improprieties with young boys, St. Louis radio station KEZK announced that it would be no longer playing the singer's records.

1997, American singer songwriter Nicolette Larson died aged 45 of complications arising from cerebral edema. Worked with Neil Young, (Comes a Time and Harvest Moon albums), Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Michael McDonald, Willie Nelson, Jimmy Buffett, The Beach Boys and The Doobie Brothers. Best known for her 1978 cover of Neil Young's ‘Lotta Love’.

1999, A 28 year-old man died after falling more than 80ft at Earls Court, London, while dismantling the set at a Spice Girls concert.

2000, The estranged father and former manager of LeAnn Rimes made embarrassing allegations during a legal battle involving millions of pounds. One fact told in court was that LeAnn paid her mother £6,700 every time she styled her hair before a show.

2001, Stuart Adamson, lead singer of Big Country was found dead in Hawaii a month after disappearing from his home in the US. The 43-year old Scottish musician had fought a long battle against alcoholism. His body was found in a hotel room.

2001, Robbie Williams and Nicole Kidman started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of the Frank and Nancy Sinatra 1967 No.1 hit 'Somethin' Stupid'. The Christmas No.1 for this year. From William's album Swing When You're Winning.

2003, Michael Jackson was out on police bail of $3m after being arrested following allegations of child abuse. The 45-year-old singer strenuously denied the allegations, calling them a big lie. Following the allegations of child abuse a special information web site was set up by the District Attorney's office because of the level of media interest in the case. Mr Jackson, who was arrested, cited and released after surrendering to police on 20th November, was due to appear in court on 9 January.

2004, A Detroit studio where Eminem recorded ‘My Name Is’ went up for auction on the website eBay. Studio 8, in the Detroit suburb of Ferndale was to be listed in eBay's commercial property section for 30 days, with a minimum bid is $215,000 (£161,448).

2004, Gold and silver Black Sabbath discs were stolen from the Kent home of Ozzy Osbourne's former manager Patrick Meehan. Police recovered the discs a week later after they were offered for sale on the internet auction site eBay.

2005, The surviving Beatles and relatives of the band's late members began legal action against EMI to get royalties allegedly worth £30m. Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and relations of George Harrison and John Lennon claimed EMI owed record royalties to their company Apple Corps.

2006, Sir Paul McCartney said he left EMI, his record label of 45 years, as it had become "boring" and he had "dreaded going to see" its executives. McCartney told The Times that the company's handling of his music had become "symbolic of the treadmill". The ex-Beatle went on to sign a deal with Starbucks' label, Hear Music.

2007, American singer songwriter Dan Fogelberg died at his home in Maine at the age of 56. The US singer, songwriter discovered he had advanced prostate cancer in 2004. Had the 1981 album ‘The Innocent Age’, which featured the hits ‘Leader of the Band,’ ‘Hard to Say,’ and ‘Run for the Roses.’

2007, Katie Melua & Eva Cassidy went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of 'What A Wonderful World' the version was released to raise money for the Red Cross.

December 16th: Born on this day

1934, Born on this day, Karl Denver, UK singer, (1962 UK No.4 single 'Wimoweh', 1990 UK No.46 hit 'Lazyitis- One Armed Boxer' with Happy Mondays). Denver died on 21st December 1998.

1945, Born on this day, Tony Hicks, guitar, The Hollies, (over 25 Top 40 hits since 1963, 1972 US No.2 single 'Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress', 1988 UK No.1 single 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother' first released in 1969.

1946, Born on this day, Benny Anderson, keyboards, vocals, Abba, (first UK hit 1974 No.1 single 'Waterloo', followed by 8 other UK No.1 singles and 9 UK No.1 albums, 1977 US No.1 single 'Dancing Queen').

1950, Born on this day, Bill Gibbons, guitar, vocals. Moving Sidewalks (who opened for Jimi Hendrix on his first US tour). ZZ Top, (1984 US No.8 & 1985 UK No.16 single 'Legs').

1959, Born on this day, Steven Irvine, drums, Lloyd Cole and the Commotions, (1985 UK No.19 single 'Brand New friend').

1972, Born on this day, Michael McCary, vocals, Boyz II Men, (1992 US & UK No.1 single 'End Of The Road').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2011 at 13:32
December 17th: On this Day

1960, Returning from Hamburg, The Beatles appeared at the Casbah Coffee Club in Liverpool. Chas Newby joined The Beatles on bass guitar (to replace Stuart Sutcliffe, who had remained in Hamburg), a position he would hold for only two weeks and four performances. When Newby bowed out to return to college, Paul McCartney became The Beatles' bass player.

1962, Bob Dylan arrived in England for the first time; he played his first UK date the following night at the Troubadour Club in London.

1963, James Carroll at WWDC in Washington, DC, became the first disc jockey to broadcast a Beatles record on American radio. Carroll played 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', which he had obtained from his stewardess girlfriend, who brought the single back from the UK. Due to listener demand, the song was played daily, every hour. Since it hadn't been released yet in the States, Capitol Records initially considered court action, but instead released the single earlier than planned.

1968, The Who played their Xmas party at the Marquee Club, London. Also on the bill was a new group called Yes. Members 15 shillings, ($1.80) or £1 ($2.40) on the night. Other acts appearing at the club this month included Joe Cocker, Free and Led Zeppelin.

1973, Slade were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Merry Xmas Everybody' their sixth chart topper. The song has re-entered the UK charts on eight other occasions.

1975, Hawkwind appeared at Brunel University, Middlesex, tickets, £1.50.

1975, Aerosmith and Blue Oyster Cult appeared at the San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, California.

1977, Mr David Ackroyd purchased the one-millionth copy of 'Mull Of Kintyre', by Wings in the UK and became the first record buyer to receive a Gold Disc.

1977, Deputising for The Sex Pistols on NBC- TVs 'Saturday Night Live', Elvis Costello stops his performance of 'Less Than Zero', saying ' there's no reason to do this', and launches into 'Radio Radio' which he'd been told not to perform.

1977, George Harrison played an unannounced live set for the regulars at his local pub in Henley-On-Thames.

1982, American Delta blues musician and songwriter Big Joe Williams died in Macon, Mississippi aged 79. Wrote 'Baby Please Don't Go', a 1965 UK Top 10 for Them, (featuring Van Morrison).

1982, Karen Carpenter made her last live appearance with The Carpenters when she performed in Sherman, California.

1983, Culture Club, Duran Duran and The Police all appeared on the children's UK TV show Saturday Superstore.

1984, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Big Country, Duran Duran, Ultravox, Paul Young and Wham! all appeared on the UK TV show 'Razzmatazz Solid Gold Christmas Special'.

1988, New Order, A Certain Ratio, Happy Mondays and DJ Mike Pickering all appeared at the G-Mex, Manchester, tickets £8.50.

1988, Featured on the front page of the NME, Bros, interviewed for the paper, a quote from Matt, 'We've got the quickest selling debut LP in the history of CBS Records. You don't do that if your talentless'.

1993, Sting's wife Trudie Styler gave birth to a son, Giacomo Luke, at a London hospital.

1994, Celine Dion married her manager Rene Angelil at the Notre Dame Basilica, Montreal.

1994, Ini Kamoze started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Here Comes The Hotstepper', a No.4 hit in the UK.

1994, A remixed version of The Four Seasons' "December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night)" re-entered the US Hot 100, where it stayed for another 27 weeks, just as it did when it first charted in 1976. The combined run will establish a record for the longest total chart appearance in US chart history.

1995, A statue of the late Frank Zappa was unveiled in Vilnius, the capital of the Republic Of Lithuania. It had been organised by Zappa fan club President Saulius Pauksty.

1997, David Bowie launched his BowieNet on the Internet.

1999, American jazz-funk, soul-jazz saxophonist Grover Washington Jr died of a heart attack aged 56. He collapsed in the green room after taping four songs for The Early Show, at CBS Studios in New York City, He released over 20 solo albums and featured on the 1981 Bill Withers hit ‘Just The Two of Us.’

1999, The NME writers albums and singles of 1999; Super Furry Animals 'Guerrilla' came 3rd, Shack 'HMS Fable' 2nd and The Flaming Lips 'The Soft Bulletin' was voted album of the year. Aphex Twin 'Windowlicker' was voted best single of the year.

2000, Bob The Builder started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Can We Fix It'. Taken from the children's television programme Bob the Builder.

2000, Eminem was the subject of a sick Internet hoax after MTV reported that the rapper had been killed in a car crash en route to a party.

2004, Elvis Presley's daughter Lisa Marie Presley agreed to sell 85% of his estate to businessman Robert Sillerman in a deal worth $100m. Sillerman would run Presley's Memphis home Graceland, and own Elvis' name and the rights to all revenue from his music and films. In the deal Lisa Marie would retain possession of Graceland and many of her father's ‘personal effects.’

2005, U2 had the top-grossing tour of 2005, according to an end-of-year chart compiled by US magazine Billboard. More than three million people watched the band's sell-out 90-date Vertigo tour which grossed $260m (£146.6m). The Eagles, took $117m (£66m) from 77 shows and Neil Diamond grossed more than $71m (£40m). Kenny Chesney was fourth with $63m (£35.5m), Paul McCartney $60m (£33.8m), Rod Stewart with $49m (£27m), Elton John with $45.5m (£25.6m), Dave Matthews Band with $45m (£25.3m), Jimmy Buffett with $41m (£23m) and Green Day with $36.5m (£20.5m).

2006, English saxophonist Denis Payton died. Member of Dave Clark Five who had the 1964 UK No.1 single 'Glad All Over', 1965 US No.1 single 'Over And Over', plus over 15 other UK top 40 singles.

2006, The first winner of American Idol Leona Lewis started a 4 week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'A Moment Like This', also a US No.1.

2010, Captain Beefheart died aged 69 from complications from multiple sclerosis.

2010, Sir Paul McCartney performed an intimate lunchtime gig at the 100 Club on London's Oxford Street, the historic music venue threatened with closure. Around 300 fans were treated to a set lasting almost two hours, in what was McCartney’s smallest gig in the UK for nearly 10 years. A campaign to keep the 100 Club open had attracted support from Primal Scream's Bobby Gillespie and Sir Mick Jagger.

December 17th: Born on this day

1936, Born on this day, Tommy Steele, singer, actor, (1957 UK No.1 single 'Singing The Blues', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles).

1937, Born on this day, Art Neville, vocals, piano, The Neville Brothers, (1989 UK No.47 single 'With God On Our Side')

1939, Born on this day, Eddie Kendricks, vocals, The Temptations, (1971 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Just My Imagination' and re- issued 'My Girl' UK No.2 in 1992, solo US No.1 & UK No.18 single 'Keep On Truckin'). Died on 5th October 1992.

1942, Born on this day, Paul Butterfield, blues singer, harmonica player, (1965 album 'Paul Butterfield Blues Band'). Appeared at The Bands, 'Last Waltz'. Died on 4th May 1987.

1943, Born on this day, David Dee, Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich, (1968 UK No.1 single 'Legend Of Xanadu'). Dee died on 9th Jan 2009 at the age of 65, following a three-year battle with cancer. The singer, whose real name was David Harman, was originally a police officer and as a police cadet was called to the scene of the car crash that killed Eddie Cochrane during a UK tour in 1960.

1948, Born on this day, Jim Bonfanti, The Young Rascals, (1967 US No.1 and UK No.8 single 'Groovin'). The Raspberries, (1972 US N.5 single 'Go All The Way').

1949, Born on this day, Paul Rodgers, singer, guitarist, Free, (1970 UK No.2 & US No.4 single 'All Right Now'). Bad Company, (1974 UK No.15 single 'Can't Get Enough'). Also a member of The Firm, with Jimmy Page.

1950, Born on this day, Carlton Barrett, The Wailers, (1983 UK No.4 single with Bob Marley, Buffalo Soldier', plus 10 other UK Top 40 singles). Barrett was shot dead outside his home on 17th April 1987.

1951, Born on this day, Wanda Hutchinson, The Emotions, (1977 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Best Of My Love').

1958, Born on this day, Mike Mills, bass, R.E.M. (1991 UK No.6 & US No.10 single 'Shiny Happy People', plus over 20 Top 40 UK singles, 1992 UK No.1 & US No.2 album 'Automatic For The People').

1959, Born on this day, Bob Stinson, guitar, The Replacements died of an accidental drug overdose, (1984 album 'Let It Be').

1962, Born on this day, Sarah Dallen, singer Bananarama, (1984 UK No.3 single 'Robert De Niro's Waiting', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles, 1986 US No.1 single 'Venus').

1964, Born on this day, David Walls, 'Ginger', vocals, guitar, The Wildhearts, (1996 UK No.14 single 'Sick Of Drugs').

1969, Born on this day, Micky Quinn, bass, Supergrass, (1995 UK No.2 single 'Alright', 1995 UK No.1 album 'I Should Coco' spent 35 weeks on the UK chart).

1970, Born on this day, DJ Homicide, Sugar Ray, (1999 UK No. 10 single 'Every Morning').

1978, Born on this day, Neil Christopher, drummer, Three Days Grace.

1989, Born on this day, 1989, Taylor York, guitarist, Paramore, 2009 UK No.1 album ‘Brand New Eyes’.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2011 at 12:20
December 18th: On this Day

1961, The Tokens started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'; it reached No.11 in the UK. REM included a live version of the song on the 1993 'Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight' single.

1962, On their fifth visit to West Germany The Beatles played the first night of a two-week engagement at the Star-Club, Hamburg. A 13 night run, playing 3 hours each night. The final night's performance was recorded and became known as ‘The Star-Club Tapes’, released in 1977 against the wishes of the ex-Beatles themselves.

1966, Tara Browne was killed when driving at high speed in his Lotus Elan after it collided with a parked lorry in South Kensington, London. A close friend of The Rolling Stones Mick Jagger and Brian Jones, his death was immortalized in The Beatles’s song ‘A Day In The Life’ after John Lennon read a report on the coroner's verdict into Browne's death.

1970, Pink Floyd appeared at The Town Hall, Birmingham, England, tickets 60p.

1971, Jerry Lee Lewis and his wife Myra who he married when she was 13 divorced, as he prepared to marry 29-year old Karen Elizabeth Gunn Pate.

1971, Sly and the Family Stone went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'There's A Riot Going On'.

1972, Bob Dylan starting filming his role in the film 'Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid.'

1979, Joy Division played what would be their only ever gig in Paris when the appeared at Les Bains Club.

1982, Hall and Oates started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Maneater', the duo's 5th US No.1 and biggest hit in the UK making No.6.

1982, UK-based Italian tenor and English girl Renee And Renato were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Save Your Love', the duo's only UK Top 40 hit and this years Christmas No.1.

1983, American guitarist Jimmy Nolan, died of a heart attack in Atlanta, Georgia, aged 47. Known for his distinctive ‘chicken scratch’ lead guitar playing, he worked with James Brown from 1965 until his death.

1983, Rolling Stones' guitarist Keith Richards married 27-year old Patti Hansen on his 40th birthday.

1983, Keith Richards married model Patti Hansen during a ceremony in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Mick Jagger was the best man.

1988, Mike Peters of The Alarm was rushed to hospital after having his eyes burnt by spotlights during a gig in Chester, causing the remaining dates on their UK tour to be cancelled.

1993, Take That had their third UK No.1 single with the Gary Barlow penned song 'Babe'.

1999, The Spice Girls unveiled their waxwork look-alikes at Madame Tussaud's, London. Each model had cost £35,000 to make.

2000, UK singer, songwriter Kirsty MacColl was killed in a boating accident off the coast of Mexico when a speedboat hit her. MacColl was aged 41.

2000, *NSYNC fan Danielle McGuire filed suit against group member Justin Timberlake, alleging that he harassed and verbally assaulted her. McGuire, 15, filed suit in St. Louis, Missouri, charging Timberlake with false imprisonment of a minor.

2001, English singer songwriter Clifford T. Ward died aged 57 after suffering from multiple sclerosis since 1984. His first album, Singer Songwriter, was released in 1972 on Dandelion Records (a label formed by the late disc jockey John Peel). He had the 1973 UK No.8 single 'Gaye'. Working as an English teacher in the late 60’s, one of his pupils was the future wife of Sting, Trudie Styler.

2003, Out on bail, Michael Jackson was formally charged with seven counts of child molestation and two counts of administering intoxicating liquor to a minor with the intent of committing a crime. The abuse was claimed to have taken place between 7 February and 10 March 2003 and the alleged victim was identified only as 'John Doe'. Jackson's lawyer said the entertainer was 'unequivocally and absolutely innocent' and would fight the charges 'with every fibre of his soul.'

2003, James Brown and country music star Loretta Lynn were honoured for their contributions to US culture. The pair were invited to a gala attended by President George Bush at the Kennedy Arts Centre in Washington.

2004, A guitar played by George Harrison and John Lennon sold for £294,000 ($570,000) at auction in New York. The Gibson SG guitar was used by Harrison from 1966 to 1969, including the recording of Revolver, and by Lennon during White Album sessions. Other items sold in the Christie's auction included a letter by Kurt Cobain, which fetched £10,000 ($19,400), and a school book report by Britney Spears (£1,000).

2005, ‘Fairytale of New York’ was voted the favourite Christmas song ever in a VH1 poll. The song by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl took the top spot, Mariah Carey's ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’, was voted into 2nd place and Wham's ‘Last Christmas’ came third. Other songs voted into the Top 10 were, ’Mistletoe and Wine’, Sir Cliff Richard at No.4, ‘Merry Xmas Everybody’ by Slade at No.5, ‘I Wish it could be Christmas Everyday’, Wizzard, No.6, ‘Christmas Time’, The Darkness, No.7, ‘Saviour's Day’, Sir Cliff Richard No.8, ‘Do They Know It's Christmas’ (1984), Band Aid at No.9 and ‘Lonely This Christmas’ by Mud at No.10.

2005, Babyshambles singer Pete Doherty was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of drink or drugs after being stopped by police in east London. Police said the 26-year-old had been driving erratically. Officers sent suspicious substances found in the vehicle for analysis, Doherty was released on bail.

2005, UK pop-folk act Nizlopi were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'JCB Song', their only No.1 hit.

December 18th: Born on this day

1938, Born on this day, Chas Chandler, bass, The Animals, (1964 UK & US No.1 single 'House Of The Rising Sun'). Chandler became the manager of Jimi Hendrix and Slade, he died on 17th July 1996.

1941, Born on this day, Sam Andrews, Janis Joplin Band, (1971 US No.1 single 'Me And Bobby McGee', 1971 US No.1 single 'Pearl').

1943, Born on this day, Keith Richards, 'The Human Riff', guitarist, singer, songwriter and founding member of The Rolling Stones who have had over 35 Top 40 singles and albums. Rolling Stone magazine said Richards had created 'rock's greatest single body of riffs'.

1948, Born on this day, Bill Nelson, guitar, vocals, Be Bop Deluxe, (1976 UK No.23 single, 'Ships In The Night'). Solo.

1950, Born on this day, Martha Johnson, Martha And The Muffins, (1980 UK No.10 single, 'Echo Beach').

1953, Born on this day, Elliot Easton, The Cars, (1978 UK No.3 single 'My Best Friend's Girl', 1985 UK No.4 single 'Drive').

1958, Born on this day, Geordie, Killing Joke, (1985 UK No.16 single 'Love Like Blood').

1959, Born on this day, Grant Marshall, Daddy-G, Massive Attack, (1991 UK No.13 single 'Unfinished Sympathy').

1964, Born on this day, Robson Green, actor/singer, (1995 UK No.1 single as Robson and Jerome 'Unchained Melody', 'The White Cliffs Of Dover').

1966, Born on this day, Steve Dullaghan, Primitives, (1988 UK No.5 single 'Crash').

1968, Born on this day, Andy Miller, Dodgy, (1996 UK No.4 single 'Good Enough').

1970, Born on this day, DMX, (Earl Simmons), US rapper, (UK No. 30 single 'Slippin').

1980, Born on this day, Christina Aguilera, US singer, (1999 US & UK No.1 single 'Genie In A Bottle', 1999 US No.1 album 'Christina Aguilera', 2001 US & UK No.1 single with Mya, Lil' Kim and Pink, 'Lady Marmalade').

1980, Born on this day, Lyndsay Armaou, singer, B*Witched, (1998 UK No.1 single 'C'est La Vie').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2011 at 13:31
December 19th: On this Day

1957, Elvis Presley had his draft notice served on him for the US Army. He went on to join the 32nd Tank Battalion third Armor Corps based in Germany.

1958, Conway Twitty was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'It's Only Make Believe'. The first song to reach the UK Top 10 in four different years: Billy Fury (1964), Glen Campbell (1970) and Child (1978).

1964, The Beatles fourth album 'Beatles For Sale' started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK album charts.

1964, The Supremes scored their third US No.1 single of the year when 'Come See About Me', went to the top of the charts. It made No.27 on the UK chart.

1967, Buffalo Springfield appeared at the Community Concourse, San Diego, California.

1969, Mick Jagger was fined £200 plus 50 guineas costs at Marlborough Magistrates Court for illegal possession of cannabis.

1969, The Beatles' seventh Christmas record, "The Beatles' Seventh Christmas Record" was released to members of their fan club in the UK and the US.

1970, Elton John's first US hit, ‘Your Song’ entered the Billboard Hot 100, where it went on to reach number eight. The Hollies had been offered the song and Three Dog Night had already recorded a version which was included on their ‘It Ain't Easy’ album.

1976, During an interview with UK daily newspaper The Daily Mail, Sex Pistol Paul Cook's mother said he was no longer welcome at home and she was going to turn his bedroom in a dining room.

1978, During a North American tour Queen appeared at the Forum, Inglewood, California.

1979, Elvis Presley's personal physician, George Nichopoulos, was charged with 'illegally and indiscriminately' prescribing over 12,000 tablets of uppers, downers, and painkillers for the star during the 20 months preceding his untimely death. Although he was acquitted this time, he was charged again in 1980 and again in 1992 and was stripped of his medical license in July 1995.

1981, Abba scored their seventh UK No.1 album with 'The Visitors'.

1987, The Pet Shop Boys had their third UK No.1 single with their version of 'Always On My Mind. The duo had performed a version of 'Always on My Mind' on Love Me Tender, an TV special commemorating the tenth anniversary of Elvis Presley's death, their performance was so well-received that the group decided to record the song and release it as a single.

1993, Michael Clarke drummer with The Byrds died of liver failure aged 47. Also worked with the Flying Burrito Brothers and Jerry Jeff Walker. Before his death Clarke had expressed a wish of alerting children to the dangers of alcoholism. Following his wishes, Clarke's girlfriend Susan Paul started a foundation in Clarke's name, called the Campaign for Alcohol-free Kids.

1994, The Manic Street Preachers played the first of three nights at The Astoria, London, the last shows Richie James made with the band before disappearing.

1999, Irish boyband Westlife started a four week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their versions of the Abba song 'I Have A Dream' and the Terry Jacks hit (written in French by Belgian, Jacques Brel and English lyrics by poet Rod McKuen), 'Seasons In The Sun'. It gave the group the Christmas No.1 and the last No.1 of the century.

2000, 10,000 Maniacs guitarist Robert Buck died of liver failure aged 42. Best know for ‘Hey Jack Kerouac’, ‘What's The Matter Here’ and 'Candy Everybody Wants'.

2000, Songwriter, guitarist and singer and founder member of The Staple Singers, Roebuck 'pop' Staples died. Best known for their 1970s hits ‘I'll Take You There’, ‘Respect Yourself’, and ‘Let's Do It Again’.

2000, Wu-Tang Clan rapper Ol Dirty Bastard was returned to New York from Philadelphia in police custody, in order to face outstanding drug charges for possessing crack cocaine.

2001, Former Spice Girl Emma Bunton paid £3,000 for a custom built toilet. The singer ordered the hand painted porcelain loo complete with hand crafted toilet roll holder for her new £500,000 seaside apartment.

2005, Sir Elton John turned down £5.7m for the exclusive rights to his civil union to his partner David Furnish. The couple had considered the offer from a US television channel, putting the money in the Elton John Aids Foundation, but they told Attitude magazine they had decided to keep the day private.

2006, Two giant eyeballs donated by Pink Floyd raised £16,500 for the homeless charity Crisis. The 6ft-high props, made to promote the Pulse DVD, were on the auction site eBay for a week and attracted 46 bids. Pink Floyd's David Gilmour, a vice-president of Crisis, said extra help was needed in the winter months.

December 19th: Born on this day

1918, Born on this day, Professor Longhair, US rock & roll piano player. Influenced Fat's Domino and Dr John. Died on 30th Jan 1980.

1940, Born on this day, Phil Ochs, US folk singer songwriter. Wrote 'There But A Fortune', hit for Joan Baez. Hung himself on 9th April 1976 suffering from chronic depression.

1941, Born on this day, Maurice White, vocals, Earth Wind and Fire, (1975 US No.1 single 'Shining Star', 1981 UK No.3 single 'Let's Groove').

1944, Born on this day, Alvin Lee, guitar vocals, Ten Years After, (UK rock group, 1970 UK No.10 single 'Love Like A Man').

1944, Born on this day, Zal Yanovsky, The Lovin Spoonful, (1966 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Summer In The City'). Died of a heart attack on 13th December 2002.

1949, Born on this day, John McEuen, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, (1971 US No.9 single 'Mr Bojangles').

1958, Born on this day, Chris Hamill, (Limahl), vocals, Kajagoogoo, (1983 UK No.1 single 'Too Shy').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2011 at 13:27
December 20th: On this Day

1958, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison appeared as The Quarry Men at the wedding reception of George's older brother, Harry. The event was held at the Harrison family home at 25 Upton Green, Speke, Liverpool.

1959, Emile Ford and the Checkmates were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For.'

1962, The Osmonds appeared for the first time on the NBS-TV Andy Williams show. The brothers performed 'I'm A Ding Dong Daddy From Dumas'.

1967, Folk singer Joan Baez was sentenced to 45 days in prison after being arrested during an anti-war demonstration.

1967, American singer Jimmie Rodgers required brain surgery after he suffered a fractured skull and a broken wrist, allegedly at the hands of three San Diego police officers. Rodgers recovered and returned to performing a little over a year later.

1968, The Beatles sixth Christmas record 'The Beatles' 1968 Christmas Record', was sent to fan club members in the UK and the US. It included the song ‘Nowhere Man’ sung by Tiny Tim.

1969, Peter Paul and Mary went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Leavin' On A Jet Plane'.

1969, Rolf Harris was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Two Little Boys', (the song was written in 1902). The Christmas No.1 of 1969 and the last No.1 of the 60s. The song stayed at No.1 for six weeks.

1969, The Rolling Stones went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their 10th release 'Let It Bleed', featuring 'Midnight Rambler', and 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'

1973, American singer Bobby Darin died aged 37. One of the first teen idols, he had the 1959 No.1 with 'Dream Lover' plus 20 other US Top 40 hits during the 60's including ‘Mack the Knife’, (Grammy Award for Record of the Year in 1960). Darin traveled with Robert Kennedy and worked on the latter's 1968 presidential campaign. He was with Kennedy the day he traveled to Los Angeles on June 4, 1968 for the California Primary. Darin was at the Ambassador Hotel later that night when Kennedy was assassinated.

1974, Former James Gang guitarist Joe Walsh officially replaced Bernie Leadon in The Eagles.

1979, The UK Christmas album chart at Our Price Records, Michael Jackson's 'Off The Wall', £3.74. The Police, 'Regatta De Blanc', £3.49, and the No.1 album Pink Floyd's 'The Wall', £6.45.

1980, Twelve days after John Lennon was shot dead in New York City, (Just Like) Starting Over gave the former Beatle his first ever UK solo No.1 single. Taken from his Double Fantasy album.

1980, Motorhead's Phil Taylor accidentally broke a bone in his neck when partying after a gig in Belfast.

1986, The Bangles started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Walk Like An Egyptian'.

1986, The Housemartins were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of The Isley Brothers 'Caravan Of Love.' It was only the second a cappella song to be a No.1 hit after 'Only You' by the Flying Pickets.

1992, American blues singer and guitarist, Albert King died from a heart attack in Memphis, Tennessee. He recorded dozens of influential songs, such as 'Crosscut Saw' and 'As The Years Go Passing By', and the 1967 album, 'Born Under a Bad Sign.'

1999, Readers of UK Guitar magazine voted Noel Gallagher the most overrated guitarist of the millennium. Jimi Hendrix was voted guitarist of the millennium with Nirvana's 'Nevermind' winning best album.

1999, Canadian Country singer Hank Snow died. 'The Singing Ranger' released over 100 albums and scored more than seventy singles on the Billboard country charts from 1950 until 1980. A regular at the Grand Ole Opry, in 1954 Snow persuaded the directors to allow a new singer by the name of Elvis Presley to appear at the Grand Ole Opry.

2000, Ritchie and J from Five were remanded on bail following a court appearance in connection with a fight in a Dublin pub. They were charged with public order offences.

2000, Figures from the RIA of America showed that Teen Pop was alive and doing very well. Pop accounted for most of the record sales in America with Jive records, home to Britney Spears, The Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC selling 31m records

2001, Tommy Lee branded his ex-wife Pam Anderson an unfit mother. The drummer filed papers with the Los Angeles Superior Court alleging his son's tell him 'We hate Mommy' and his son Brandon had been using the F-word he learned from his mommy.

2006, Eminem and his high school sweetheart divorced for a second time, less than a year after they remarried. The couple agreed to share custody of their 10-year-old daughter, Hailie. The pair told a judge in Michigan they understood this time the divorce was final. The couple remarried in January. But the rapper filed for divorce less than three months later, saying there had been "a breakdown in the marriage relationship".

2006, Matthew Fisher, a founding member of Procol Harum, won a High Court battle over who wrote their song A Whiter Shade of Pale. He played organ on the 1967 hit and argued he wrote the distinctive organ melody. Mr Justice Blackburne ruled he was entitled to 40% of the copyright. Fisher had wanted half but the court decided lead singer Gary Brooker's input was more substantial. Fisher's claim for back royalties - of up to £1m - was also rejected. For almost 40 years, the song has been credited to lead singer Gary Brooker and lyricist Keith Reid.

2006, Ian Halperin claimed that Michael Jackson was close to death. The Rolling Stone magazine writer said Jackson was suffering from a rare lung condition and needed a lung transplant. He also claimed that the singer had lost 95% vision in one eye and was so ill he could barley speak.

2008, Britney Spears went to No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Circus’, the singer’s sixth studio album.

December 20th: Born on this day

1944, Born on this day, Bobby Colomby, drums, Blood Sweat & Tears, (1969 US No.12 & UK No.35 single 'You've Made Me So Very Happy').

1947, Born on this day, Peter Criss, drums, vocals, Kiss, (1974 US No.5 single 'On And On' 1976 US No 11 album 'Rock and Roll Over' spent 26 weeks on the chart. 1987 UK No.4 single 'Crazy Crazy Nights').

1948, Born on this day, Stevie Wright, The Easybeats, (1966 UK No.6 & 1967 US No. 16 single 'Friday On My Mind').

1948, Born on this day Alan Parsons, British studio audio engineer, musician, and record producer. He was involved with the production of The Beatles' Abbey Road and Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon for which Pink Floyd credit him as an important contributor. Parsons' own group, The Alan Parsons Project released several albums.

1956, Born on this day, Guy Babylon, keyboards, Elton John Band. Died on Sept 2nd 2009 of a heart attack while swimming in his pool at his home in Los Angeles, California.

1957, Born on this day, Anita Ward, singer, (1979 US & UK No.1 single 'Ring My Bell').

1957, Born on this day, Billy Bragg, UK singer, songwriter, wrote 'New England' 1985 hit for Kirsty MacColl, (1988 UK No.1 charity single with Wet Wet Wet, 'She's Leaving Home').

1957, Born on this day, Michael Watt, bassist, fIREHOSE, Stooges, Porno For Pyros.

1966, Born on this day, Chris Robinson, The Black Crowes, (1991 UK No.39 single 'Hard To Handle', 1992 US No.1 & UK No.2 album 'The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion').

1975, Born on this day, Graham Hopkins, drums, Therapy? (1993 UK No.9 single 'Screamager').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 12:17
December 21st: On this Day

1966, The Who played at The Uppercut, London, England, tickets cost 17/6.

1967, The Beatles held a party at the Royal Lancaster Hotel in London to preview their new movie ‘Magical Mystery Tour’.

1967, Pink Floyd appeared at the Speakeasy Club, London, England.

1968, Glen Campbell topped the US album chart with ‘Wichita Lineman’. Although the LP would stay on the chart for 46 weeks, it would be Campbell's only No.1 album.

1969, The Supremes made their last TV appearance together with Diana Ross on 'The Ed Sullivan show', singing their last No.1 'Someday We'll Be Together'.

1969, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and Canned Heat appeared at the Balboa Stadium, San Diego, California.

1970, A stretch limousine carrying Elvis Presley pulled up outside the White House in Washington, D.C. The driver handed over a letter from Elvis addressed to President Nixon requesting a meeting to discuss how the King of Rock and Roll could help Nixon fight drugs. The President agreed to give Presley a Narcotics Bureau badge - but only after learning that the chief of the narcotics bureau had turned down the same request earlier that day and told Presley the only person who could overrule his decision was the President. At Elvis' request, the meeting remained secret for more than a year, until the Washington Post broke the story on January 27th, 1972.

1974, Mud were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the Chinn & Chapman song 'Lonely This Christmas'. The group's second No.1 and third chart topper for Chinn & Chapman in 1974.

1976, Barry Manilow appeared on the first night of a two-week residency at The Uris Theatre on Broadway, New York City, tickets $20.

1977, During a North American tour Queen appeared at Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, California.

1984, Frankie Goes To Hollywood played the first of 3 sold out nights at Liverpool Royal Court, tickets £5.30.

1985, Heart went to No.1 on the US album chart with their self- titled album.

1985, Lionel Richie started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Say You, Say Me', a No.8 hit in the UK.

1985, Bruce Springsteen's album, ‘Born in the USA’ passed Michael Jackson's ‘Thriller’ to become the second longest-lasting LP on the Billboard US Top 10. It stayed there for 79 weeks. Only ‘The Sound of Music’ with Julie Andrews lasted longer at 109 weeks.

1987, John Spence, singer, original member of No Doubt in the late 80's, committed suicide.

1988, Ex Cockney Rebel bass player Paul Jeffreys was one of the passengers killed by a terrorist bomb on Pan Am flight 103. The plane crashed over Lockerbie, Scotland.

1991, Jesus Jones, Blur, Diesel Park West, Sensitize and Whirlpool all appeared at the Food Records Xmas party at The Brixton Academy, London, tickets £10.

1991, 'Bohemian Rhapsody / These Are The Days Of Our Lives' by Queen started a five week run at No.1 in the UK, the 1975 word-wide hit had been re-released following the death of Freddie Mercury.

1995, Former Oasis drummer Tony McCarrol, issued a writ against the band seeking damages and royalties from his work on ('What's The Story) Morning Glory'.

1995, Northern Uproar singer Leon Meya received a letter from the Spanish Ministry Of Defence ordering him to sign up for national service. Meya had lived in Spain until he was five

1996, The charity record Knockin' on Heaven's Door' went to No.1 on the UK singles chart. With the consent of Bob Dylan, musician Ted Christopher of Dunblane, Scotland wrote a new verse for the song in memory of the schoolchildren and teacher killed in the Dunblane massacre. The cover version of the song included brothers and sisters of the victims singing the chorus and Mark Knopfler on guitar.

1998, Scottish singer Karl Denver died from a brain tumour aged 67. Had the 1962 UK No.4 single 'Wimoweh' and 1990 UK hit 'Lazyitis- One Armed Boxer' with Happy Mondays.

2001, Police launched an investigation into why Olivia Harrison listed a non-existent Beverly Hills address as the place of George Harrison's death.

2002, Keane appeared at the 12 Bar Club, London and were spotted by Simon Williams of Fierce Panda records who asked them to put a single out on his label.

2003, Eminem's ex-wife Kimberley Mathers pleaded guilty to a drug and driving offences. Mathers had been pulled by traffic police in June and was charged with possession of cocaine, two other charges driving with a suspended license and maintaining a drug house in which police discovered marijuana and Ecstasy were dropped. The 28 year-old mother appeared in a Michigan court after turning herself in, having previously failed to attend a November 1 hearing and removed an electronic tagging device used to monitor her movements.

2003, Michael Andrews feat Gary Jules went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of the Tears For Fears song 'Mad World.' The song took just 90 minutes to record in 2001 and was featured in the film 'Donnie Darko.'

2003, American Idol winner Ruben Studdard was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Soulful.’

2003, Tommy Hubbard from Whitby, aged 14, won the 2003 Riffathon, a nationwide guitar competition in aid of Action For Brazil's Children Trust. The final was held at the University of Surrey and was judged by Jimmy Page and Brian May. The ten Riffathon finalists each performed a Led Zeppelin classic track with a full live band. Tommy's performance of 'Ramble On' won him the star prize of a 1958 re-issue Gibson Les Paul standard guitar, donated by Gibson Guitars.

2005, The Sugababes unveiled their new member just a day after Mutya Buena announced she was leaving. Self-confessed Sugababes fan Amelle Berrabah, 21, from Hampshire, was named as the new singer in the group. "For years I've dreamt of breaking into the music business but never did I dream of waking up one day to be the third Sugababe," she said. Buena said she left because she wanted a break from promoting the band's album Taller in More Ways.

2005, Sir Elton John and his partner David Furnish became the first gay celebrities to register their relationship as a civil partnership. The 20 minute ceremony took place at The Guild Hall, Windsor, England, guest’s included Ringo Starr, Victoria Beckham, Joss Stone, Sting, Elvis Costello, Jamie Cullum, George Michael and The Osbournes - Ozzy, Sharon, Jack and Kelly.

2005, Madonna was forced to cancel a romantic holiday at Skibo Castle in Scotland after her private jet broke down with technical difficulties at London Airport.

2006, P Diddy’s girlfriend, Kim Porter gave birth to twin girls, who were named D'Lila Star and Jessie James Combs.

2008, The 2008 X-Factor winner Alexandra Burke started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Hallelujah'. The song was written by Leonard Cohen, and his version charted at the same time, and Jeff Buckley's cover reached No 2, just being held off by Alexandra. Three versions of the same song were in the chart at once, something not seen since the 1950s.

2010, A concert by Kings of Leon was postponed after a fire broke out on two of their tour buses which were parked at The O2 arena in London. The blaze began on one coach before spreading to another tour bus in the loading bay of the venue in Greenwich. About 60 firefighters were at the scene and ambulance crews treated six people for smoke inhalation. An O2 spokesman said the fire meant there was not enough time to rig the arena for the sell-out concert.

December 21st: Born on this day

1940, Born on this day, Frank Zappa, multi' instrumentalist, producer and composer. Recorded with The Mothers Of Invention and solo, 1969 album 'Hot Rats', 1974 album 'Apostrophe', featuring 'Don't Eat The Yellow Snow'. First band was The Blackouts, recorded one of the first concept albums 'Freak Out'. Zappa died of prostrate cancer on 4th December 1993.

1940, Born on this day, Ray Hilderbrand, Paul and Paula, (1963 US No.1 & UK No.8 single, 'Hey Paula').

1943, Born on this day, Albert Lee, UK country guitarist. Worked with Emmylou Harris Hot Band, Eric Clapton, Jackson Browne, Joe Cocker. One time member of Heads Hands And Feet.

1946, Born on this day, Carl Wilson, guitar, vocals, The Beach Boys, (1966 UK & US No.1 single 'Good Vibrations', plus over 25 other UK Top 40 singles'). Died 6th February 1998 after a long battle with lung cancer.

1953, Born on this day, Betty Wright, US singer, (1971 US No. 6 single 'Clean Up Woman', 1975 UK No. 27 single 'Shoorah! Shoorah!).

1964, Born on this day, Emmett Murphy, Dinosaur Jr, (1993 UK No.20 single 'Start Choppin').

1964, Born on this day, Patrick Murphy, The Lemonheads, (1993 UK No.14 single 'Into Your Arms'). Dinosaur Jr.

1966, Born on this day, Gabrielle Glaser, US singer, Luscious Jackson, (1997 UK No.25 single 'Naked Eye').

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 13:20
December 22nd: On this Day

1962, The Tornadoes started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Telstar'. Produced and written by Joe Meek, it was the first major hit from a UK act on the American chart. Also a No.1 in the UK.

1962, During his first visit to the UK Bob Dylan performed at the Singers Club in London, the singer songwriter's second UK gig.

1962, Acker Bilk's 'Stranger On The Shore' finally drops off of the UK charts after 55 weeks. That record would stand until 1968 when Engelbert Humperdinck's 'Release Me' stayed for 56. The current record is held by Frank Sinatra's 'My Way', which charted for 75 non-consecutive weeks.

1963, The Dave Clark Five scored their only US No.1 single with 'Over And Over', a No.5 in the UK.

1963, The Beatles appeared at the Empire Theatre in Liverpool. This appearance was the second concert-only preview of their ‘The Beatles' Christmas Show’, which would open in London in two days.

1967, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Pink Floyd, The Who, Keith West and Tomorrow, Eric Burdon & The Animals, 1984 (featuring future Queen guitarist Brian May) and Soft Machine all appeared at The Olympia, London at an all night festival 'Christmas On Earth Continued'. The DJ was John Peel plus the venue featured a paddling pool, light shows and a movie theatre, tickets £1.

1972, Little Jimmy Osmond was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Long Haired Lover From Liverpool.' At nine years eight months of age it made him the youngest person to have a No.1 record, also the biggest seller of 1972.

1973, Elton John started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road', it also had a eight week run at No.1 on the US chart.

1975, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band appeared at the Apollo in Glasgow, Scotland.

1979, The Damned and Spodgenessabounds appeared at a Christmas special gig at the Electric Ballroom, London, tickets £3.00.

1979, Rupert Holmes started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Escape, (The Pina Colada Song). His only US No.1 solo hit, a No.23 hit in the UK.

1979, The Pretenders appeared at the Marquee Club, London, tickets £1.25.

1980, Stiff Records released an album in the UK called ‘The Wit and Wisdom of Ronald Reagan.’ The entire disc contained 40 minutes of silence.

1981, At a rock & roll memorabilia auction in London, a stage suit worn by John Lennon sold for £2,300, a letter from Paul McCartney to a fan sold for £2,200 and a Perspex sculpture of John & Yoko was bought by singer Kate Bush for £4,200.

1984, Madonna started a six-week run at No.1 in the US charts with 'Like A Virgin', her first US No.1.

1987, Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue was pronounced 'dead on arrival' in an ambulance when his heart stopped beating for two minutes. Sixx was given two shots of adrenaline in his chest to revive him. Fellow band members were prematurely informed of his death.

1988, The Smiths played their farewell gig at Wolverhampton Civic Hall, (without guitarist Johnny Marr). To gain entrance to the gig fans had to wear a Smiths or Morrissey T- shirt.

1991, James Brown launched an unsuccessful lawsuit against the producers of the movie The Commitments, claiming one of the characters too closely resembled him.

2000, Madonna married film director Guy Ritchie at Skibo Castle, Scotland. Celebrities attending the wedding included Jon Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Sting and fashion designers Donatella Versace, Jean Paul Gaultier and Stellla McCartney. The couple divorced in Nov 2008.

2002, Former Clash singer and guitarist Joe Strummer (John Graham Mellor) died of a suspected heart attack aged 50. Scored the 1979 UK No. 11 single 'London Calling', 1982 US No. 8 single 'Rock The Casbah, 1991 UK No.1 single 'Should I Stay Or Should I Go', first released 1982, plus 15 other UK Top 40 singles. The Clash's London Calling album was voted best album of the 1980s by Rolling Stone magazine. Strummer was also a member of the The Mescaleros.

2002, Pop Stars: The Rivals winners Girls Aloud started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their debut release 'Sound Of The Underground.' The song was originally recorded in 2001 by London girl group Orchid, who disbanded before gaining a record deal.

2003, The annual list of all-time music greats by the Guinness book of hit singles was again topped by Elvis Presley. The list based on the number of weeks spent on the UK singles chart looked like this; 1. Elvis Presley (1193), 2. Cliff Richard (1152), 3. The Shadows (771), 4. Elton John (623), 5. Madonna (606), 6. Diana Ross (560), 7. Michael Jackson (509), 8. Rod Stewart (477), 9. Beatles (456) and 10. David Bowie (452).

2005, Janet Jackson was the most-searched name during 2005 according to Google, the singer topped a list of searches with people looking for pictures from her infamous ‘wardrobe malfunction’ at the 2004 Super Bowl when she exposed her right breast.

2006, American songwriter Dennis Linde died aged 63 from a rare lung disease. Linde wrote one of Elvis Presley's last major hits, 'Burning Love' and also wrote 'Goodbye Earl' for the Dixie Chicks, and 'Callin' Baton Rouge' for Garth Brooks.

2008, A cassette tape of a "drunk" John Lennon recording a cover version of a rock 'n' roll song sold at auction in Los Angeles for $30,000 (£20,200). The six-minute recording, made in autumn 1973, is of Lennon performing Lloyd Price's Just Because. "Debauched lyrics" improvised by "a drunk Lennon" include "just a little cocaine will set me right", and, "I wanna take all them new singers, Carol and the other one with the nipples, I wanna take 'em and hold 'em tight,"

2009, The FBI released 333 pages of documents compiled about Michael Jackson between 1992 to 2005. The files revealed that they made several investigations into death threats against him made by obsessed fans, alleged inappropriate involvement between Jackson and an underage male, as well as fears that he may have become the target for terrorists.

2010, The Abbey Road zebra crossing in north London, made famous after appearing on a Beatles album cover was given Grade II listed status. The crossing, the first of its kind to be listed, was being recognised for its "cultural and historical importance" following advice from English Heritage. The Beatles were photographed on Abbey Road in Ian Macmillan's iconic cover shot for the 1969 album ‘Abbey Road’.

December 22nd: Born on this day

1944, Born on this day, Barry Jenkins, drums, The Animals, (1964 UK & US No.1 single 'House Of The Rising Sun'), also a member of The Nashville Teens.

1946, Born on this day, Rick Nielsen, vocals, guitar, Cheap Trick, (1979 UK No.29 & US No.17 single 'I Want You To Want Me', 1988 US No.1 single 'The Flame')

1949, Born on this day, Robin and Maurice Gibb, The Bee Gees, singers, songwriters, producers, Robin was the eldest by 1 hour. (1967 UK No.1 single 'Massachusetts', 1978 UK & US No.1 single 'Night Fever', over 30 UK Top 40 hits and 9 US No.1's over 4 decades). Maurice died on 12th January 2003 of a heart attack.

1950, Born on this day, Alan Williams, The Rubettes, (1974 UK No.1 single 'Sugar Baby Love').

1957, Born on this day, Ricky Ross, vocals, guitar, piano, Deacon Blue, (1988 UK No.8 single 'Real Gone Kid', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles). Also solo.

1966, Born on this day, Danny Saber, Black Grape, (1995 UK No.8 single 'In The Name Of The Father').

1968, Born on this day, Richard James Edwards, guitar, vocals, Manic Street Preachers, (1992 UK No.17 single 'Theme From Mash'). Disappeared on 1st February 1995, after leaving his car at a service station by The Severn Bridge, near Bristol, England.

1972, Born on this day, Vanessa Paradie, French singer, actress, (1988 UK No.3 single with 'Joe Le Taxi').

1984, Born on this day, Jonas Erik Altberg, (Basshunter), Swedish musician and DJ. (2008 UK No.1 ‘Now You’re Gone’).

1989, Born on this day, Jordin Brianna Sparks, American pop/R&B singer, songwriter. Winner of the sixth season of American Idol, at the age of 17, making her the youngest winner of American Idol. 2008 Australian No.1 single with Chris Brown 'No Air.'
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2011 at 12:00
December 23rd: On this Day

1959, Chuck Berry was arrested after taking 14 year old Janice Norine (who unbeknown to Berry was working as a prostitute), across a state line. He was sentenced to 5 years jail but after racist comments by the judge Berry was freed.

1962, during his first visit to the UK Bob Dylan performed at the King and Queen pub in London’s West End, the singer songwriter’s third UK gig.

1962, The Beatles appeared at the Star-Club, Hamburg, West Germany.

1964, Pirate station 'Radio London', started broadcasting from the former US Minesweeper 'Mv Galaxy'.

1964, During a US tour Beach Boy Brian Wilson had a nervous breakdown during a flight from Los Angeles to Houston. Wilson left the band to concentrate on writing and producing. Glen Campbell replaced Wilson for the bands live shows.

1966, ITV (Redifusion) broadcast Ready, Steady Go! for the last time, after the Musicians Union enforced a ban on miming. The special guests for the farewell show were Mick Jagger, The Who, Eric Burdon, The Spencer Davis Group, Donovan and Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich.

1972, Former Grand Funk Railroad manager Terry Knight arrived during a concert by the band with a court order to seize $1m in money or assets. Police inform the ex manager that he couldn't take anything until after the show.

1977, Cat Stevens formally changed his name to Yusef Islam.

1984, Howard Jones played the first of three sold out shows at London's Hammersmith Odeon, with support band Strawberry Switchblade.

1985, During a concert by LL Cool J at a Rollerrink in Baltimore, a fight broke out, one person was trampled underfoot and three people were shot.

1985, Judas Priest fans Raymond Belknap and James Vance shot themselves after listening to the Judas Priest album ‘Stained Class.’ The two had drunk beer, smoked marijuana and then listened to hours of the album. Afterwards they took a shotgun to a nearby school playground where Belknap shot and killed himself. Vance then blew away his jaw, mouth and nose but lived for more than three years before dying of effects of the shooting.

1989, Phil Collins started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Another Day In Paradise', his 7th US solo No.1, a No.2 hit in the UK.

1989, The second version of 'Do They Know It's Christmas' by Band Aid II, went to No.1 on the UK singles chart.

1996, Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx married TV's 'Baywatch' star Donna Deruico.

1999, George Harrison's home in Maui was broken into by Cristin Keleher, who cooked a frozen pizza, drank beer from the fridge, started some laundry and phoned her mother in New Jersey. Keleher was arrested and charged with burglary and theft.

2000, Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall was given a police caution for possessing cocaine and cannabis. Police found the Class A and Class B drugs at his Surrey home after a woman falsely accused him of rape in November.

2002, Sir Paul McCartney was granted his own coat of arms by the College of Arms, the English heraldic body formed in 1484. The crest featured a bird that appeared to be holding a guitar in its claw. The motto is "Ecce Cor Meum", Latin for 'Behold My Heart', which is the title of an oratorio he composed.

2005, Geezer Butler, the bass player with Black Sabbath offered £5,000 for any information leading to the safe return of Toga, the three-month-old penguin that had been stolen from a zoo on the Isle of Wight a few days earlier.

2006, It was reported that U2 singer Bono was to be given an honorary knighthood in recognition of his outstanding contribution to music and humanitarian work.

2006, Ciara was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Ciara : The Evolution’ the American singers second album.

2007, The Police were named as the highest earning touring group for the past year, bringing in nearly £66.5m, ($132m). The band's 54 date North American tour had generated almost double the total of the second-placed act, Country star Kenny Chesney.

2007, The 2007 X-Factor winner Leon Jackson went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'When You Believe', the singers only No.1 hit.

2008, a spokesman for Michael Jackson denied reports the singer was suffering from a rare respiratory disease and was in need of a lung transplant. Dr Tohme Tohme said in a statement issued to Reuters that stories claiming the singer was unwell were not true. He added that author Ian Halperin had made the claims to promote his unauthorised biography of the 50-year-old singer.

2008, Clint Ballard Jr. died. He wrote ‘Game Of Love’ a hit for Wayne Fontana And The Mindbenders', and Linda Ronstadt's, ‘You're No Good’. His songs have been recorded by The Hollies, Frankie Avalon, Ricky Nelson, The Zombies and Jan And Dean.

December 23rd: Born on this day

1935, Born on this day, Esther Phillips, US soul singer, (1975 US No. 20 & UK No.6 single 'What A Difference A Day Makes'). She died on 7th August 1984.

1939, Born on this day, Johnny Kidd, singer, Johnny Kidd & The Pirates, (1960 UK No.1 single 'Shakin' All Over'). Killed in a car crash while on tour in Manchester, England on 7th October 1966.

1940, Born on this day, Eugene Record, vocals, The Chi-lites, (1972 US No.1 single 'Oh Girl', 1972 UK No.3 single 'Have You Seen Her'). He died of cancer on 22nd July 2005.

1940, Born on this day, Jorma Kaukonen, guitar, Jefferson Airplane, (1967 US No.18 single 'White Rabbit'). Hot Tuna.

1941, Born on this day, Ron Bushy, Iron Butterfly, (1968 US No.14 single 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

1941, Born on this day, Tim Hardin, US singer, songwriter, (1967 UK No.50 single 'Hang On To A Dream'). Wrote 'Reason To Believe' and 'If I Were A Carpenter.' Died of a heroin overdose on 29th December 1980.

1943, Born on this day, Derek Smalls, bass, Spinal Tap, (1984 rock film 'This Is Spinal Tap').

1946, Born on this day, Duster Bennett, singer, guitarist, harmonica player. Worked with Alexis Korner, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Fleetwood Mac and B.B. King. Killed in a car crash on 26th March 1976.

1949, Born on this day, Ariel Bender, guitarist, Mott The Hoople, (1972 UK No.3 single 'All The Young Dudes'), Spooky Tooth.

1949, Born on this day, Adrian Belew, American guitarist and singer, worked with King Crimson and David Bowie.

1958, Born on this day, Dave Murray, guitar, Iron Maiden, (1982 UK No.1 album 'The Number Of The Beast', 1991 UK No.1 single 'Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter').

1960, Born on this day, Wil Sinnott, The Shamen, (1991 UK No.4 single 'Move Any Mountain'). Drowned on May 22nd 1991 while swimming off the coast of La Gomera when he was pulled under by strong currents. The Shamen were in Tenerife filming a video for their new single 'Move Any Mountain.'

1964, Born on this day, Eddie Vedder, vocals, Pearl Jam, (1992 UK No.15 single 'Jeremy', 1993 US No.1 & UK No.2 album 'Vs', 1994 US No.1 & UK No.4 album Vitalogy' and 1996 US No.1 & UK No.3 album 'No Code').

1974, Born on this day, Montsho Eshe, Arrested Development, (1992 UK No.2 single 'People Everyday').

1975, Born on this day, Katie Underwood, Bardot, winners of the Australian Popstars reality show, (2000 Australian No.1 single ‘Poison’, and 2000 Australian No.1 self-titled album).

1985, Born on this day, Harry Judd, drummer, McFly, (2004 UK No.1 single ‘Colours In Her Hair’, 2004 UK No.1 album ‘Room On The 3rd Floor’).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2011 at 14:14
December 24th: On this day

1954, Johnny Ace shot himself dead backstage at the City Auditorium in Houston, Texas. The R&B singer was playing with a revolver during a break between sets, someone in the room said ‘Be careful with that thing…’ and he said ‘It’s OK the gun’s not loaded…see?’ and pointed it at himself with a smile on his face.

1963, The first night of The Beatles Christmas show at The Finsbury Park Astoria, London with Billy J. Kramer, The Fourmost, Cilla Black and Rolf Harris.

1965, The Who appeared at the Pier Ballroom, Hastings, England.

1965, The Beatles had the number one album in the US for the third Christmas in a row. 'Rubber Soul' sat atop the LP chart in '65, following 'Beatles For Sale' in 1964 and 'With The Beatles' in 1963. The Fab Four would repeat this feat again in 1968 with 'The Beatles' (The White Album) and again in 1969, with 'Abbey Road'.

1967, The Bee Gees performed their Christmas special 'live' from Liverpool Ca.

1971, Slade appeared at London's Marquee Club, for a Christmas Eve party night.

1972, David Bowie appeared at the Rainbow Theatre, London, England giving a special Christmas Eve concert.

1973, Tom Johnson of the Doobie Brothers was arrested in Visalia, California and charged with possession of marijuana. His court date is set for January 10th, the same day the band's new LP is to be released. The album is ironically titled "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits".

1975, AC/DC appeared at The Hordern Pavillion, Sydney, Australia.

1975, Frank Zappa appeared at San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, California.

1976, 'Hotel California', The Eagles' sixth album, spent the first of eight non-consecutive weeks at the top of the Billboard chart. The band's first LP with Joe Walsh and last with bassist Randy Meisner which has now sold over 16 million copies.

1977, The Bee Gees started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'How Deep Is Your Love', the group's 4th US No.1. It stayed in the top 10 for 17 weeks giving it the longest chart run in history, a No.3 in the UK.

1977, The Sex Pistols played their last ever UK gig, (until 1996), before splitting, at Ivanhoes in Huddersfield. It was a charity performance before an audience of mainly children.

1978, Factory Records released a double EP 'A Factory Sample', featuring Joy Division, Durutti Column and Cabaret Voltaire.

1983, The Police appeared at The Brighton Centre, Brighton, England on their Synchronicity Tour.

1988, Anita Baker started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Giving You The Best That I Got'.

1988, Cliff Richard started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Private Collection.'

1988, Poison started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn.'

1988, Nirvana started recording their first album 'Bleach' using a $600 loan from an old school friend.

1990, Dave Clark's company 'Right Time' took out double page ad's in the press thanking those who helped him win £665,000 damages against Rank Theatres who he claimed had been responsible for the closure of the 'Time' musical.

1994, Pearl Jam went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Vitalogy'.

1997, Appearing live all over the UK, tribute bands including, Bi Jovi at The Wheatsheaf Stoke on Trent, T-Rextasy at Sheffield City Hall, The Silver Beatles at Portsmouth Wedgewood Rooms and Voulez Vous, The Abba tribute show at The Venue, London.

1999, Zeke Carey of The Flamingos died. Had the 1959 US No.11 single 'I Only Have Eyes For You', (which was also a 1975 UK No.1 hit for Art Garfunkel).

2000, Four Seasons bassist Nick Massi died of cancer. They scored the 1976 UK & US No.1 single 'December 1963, Oh What A Night', as well as hits with ‘Sherry,’ and ‘Rag Doll.’

2003, Jack White of The White Stripes turned himself in to Detroit police to face aggravated assault charges stemming from a bar room altercation in which he allegedly attacked Jason Stollsteimer of The Von Bondies. White was also fingerprinted and formally booked on the charges before he was released on bail.

2005, Rapper Foxy Brown was handcuffed and threatened with jail after she stuck her tongue out at a New York judge who asked her to stop chewing gum. Judge Melissa Jackson told the singer, she had showed disrespect to the court. Brown was in court on charges of assaulting two nail salon workers during a row over payment.

2005, Winner of the second series of the X-Factor TV show, Shayne Ward was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with ‘That’s My Goal’ the second biggest selling single of 2005.

2009, Tim Hart, founding member of UK folk group Steeleye Span, died at the age of 61.

2009, Larry Knechtel, the keyboard player for the Soft-Rock group Bread, died following a heart attack at the age of 69. Knechtel earned a Grammy award for his arrangement of Simon and Garfunkel's 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' and also performed with Neil Diamond, Randy Newman, Ray Charles, The Beach Boys, The Doors, Elvis Presley, Hank Williams Jr., The Dixie Chicks and Elvis Costello.

December 24th: Born on this day

1924, Born on this day, Lee Dorsey, US singer, (1966 US & UK No.8 single 'Working In The Coalmine').

1945, Born on this day, Lemmy, Hawkwind, (1972 UK No.3 single 'Silver Machine'), Motorhead, (1980 UK No.15 single 'Ace Of Spades').

1946, Born on this day, Jan Akkerman, guitar, Focus, (1973 UK No.4 single 'Sylvia', 1973 US No. 9 single 'Hocus Pocus').

1968, Born on this day, Doyle Bramhall II, guitarist, songwriter, Smokestack, Eric Clapton Band, Roger Waters.

1971, Born on this day, Ricky Martin, singer, (1999, US & UK No.1 single 'Livin' La Vida Loca'. Recorded the world's biggest selling football song 'The Cup Of Life').

1975, Born on this day, Joe Washbourne, Toploader, (2000 UK No.7 single 'Dancing In The Moonlight').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2011 at 14:19
December 25th: On this day

1954, Bing Crosby's ‘White Christmas’ entered the Billboard Pop chart for the eleventh time. Bing's rendition has sold over 100 million copies around the world, with at least 50 million sales as singles. It was the largest selling single in music history until it was surpassed by Elton John's ‘Candle in the Wind 1997’.

1958, the first day of a 10 day residency in Alan Freeds Christmas rock n' roll spectacular in New York with Chuck Berry, Frankie Avalon, Dion, Jackie Wilson, Eddie Cochran, Bo Diddley and The Everly Brothers.

1964, Beatles fans attacked George Harrison's girlfriend Patti Boyd as they arrived at London's Hammersmith Odeon for tonight's Beatles concert.

1964, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, The Miracles, Stevie Wonder and The Marvelettes all appeared at The Fox Theatre, Brooklyn, New York.

1964, The Beatles, recorded six songs for the BBC radio program Saturday Club in London: ‘Rock and Roll Music’, ‘I'm a Loser’, ‘Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey’ and ‘She's a Woman.’

1965, Dave Clark Five went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Over And Over'. They became the 7th UK act of 1965 to score a US No.1 single.

1965, The Beatles 6th album 'Rubber Soul' started a nine-week run at No.1 on the UK chart. It spent a total of 42 week's on the UK chart and was also a No.1 in the US.

1968, Led Zeppelin arrived in the United States for the very first time in preparation of their debut North American tour. The group were paid an average of $1,500 for each show.

1971, Melanie started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Brand New Key', the first release on her new label Neighbourhood Records.

1976, American MOR singer Johnny Mathis was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'When A Child Is Born', the singers only UK No.1 and the Christmas hit of 1976.

1976, The Eagles started a eight-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Hotel California.'

1978, John Lydon's new group Public Image Ltd played their first live gig at the Rainbow Theatre, London.

1981, Michael Jackson phoned Paul McCartney and suggested they write and record together, the first result being ‘The Girl Is Mine’. The song was a US No.2 & UK No.8 in 1982.

1982, David Bowie had a No.3 UK hit with a duet with Bing Crosby, 'Peace On Earth - Little Drummer Boy.'

1993, Mariah Carey started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hero', a No.7 hit in the UK. Also on this day Mariah went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Music Box'.

1995, American singer, actor and TV host Dean Martin died. Had the 1956 UK & US No.1 single 'Memories Are Made Of This' plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles including ‘That's Amore‘, ‘Everybody Loves Somebody‘, ‘Mambo Italiano‘. In 1965, Martin launched his weekly NBC comedy-variety series, The Dean Martin Show.

1995, Mariah Carey was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Daydream'.

1998, Bryan MacLean, guitarist with Love, died of a heart attack aged 62 while having Christmas dinner with a young fan who was researching a book about the band. Love had the 1966 US No.33 single '7 And 7 Is', and the 1968 album 'Forever Changes'.

2003, Michael Jackson recorded his first interview since news of the allegations of sexual abuse with a 12-year old boy. He told the CBS TV network he would 'slit his wrists' before he would hurt a child. He also claimed he suffered a dislocated shoulder after police 'manhandled' him and treated him 'very roughly' during his arrest.

2006, James Brown, the ‘Godfather of Soul’, died at the age of 73 after being diagnosed with severe pneumonia. Brown went to his dentist in Atlanta the previous day who told him something was wrong, and sent him to a doctor immediately. His hits included ‘Papa's Got a Brand New Bag‘, ‘I Got You (I Feel Good)‘, and ‘Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine, Pt. 1‘. Brown was married four times, at the age of 16, was arrested for theft and served 3 years in prison. In 1988, Brown was arrested following a high-speed car chase on along the Georgia-South Carolina state border. He was convicted of carrying an unlicensed pistol and assaulting a police officer and was sentenced to six years in prison.

2008, American actress, singer, and cabaret star Eartha Kitt died from colon cancer at her Weston, Connecticut home at the age of 81. Best known for her 1953 Christmas song ‘Santa Baby.‘

December 25th: Born on this day

1929, Born on this day, Chris Kenner, US singer, (1961 US No.2 single 'I Like It Like That'). Also a hit for Dave Clarke Five.

1937, Born on this day, O'Kelly Isley, The Isley Brothers, (1968 UK No.3 single 'This Old Heart Of Mine'). Died on 31st March 1986.

1940, Born on this day, Phil Spector, producer, 'The Spector Wall Of Sound’. Spector was a member of Teddy Bears, who had the 1958 US #1 single To Know Him Is To Love Him. He went on to produce many classic songs including; Ben E King, Spanish Harlem, The Crystals, Da Doo Ron Ron, The Ronettes, Baby I Love You, The Righteous Brothers, You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling, Ike and Tina Turner, River Deep, Mountain High. Also produced albums for The Ramones, John Lennon, George Harrison, The Beatles, Cher and Harry Nilsson. The 2003 shooting death of actress Lana Clarkson in his Alhambra, California home led to his 2009 conviction of murder in the second degree. He is serving a prison sentence of 19 years to life.

1940, Born on this day, Pete Brown, lyricist, poet, singer, producer, Cream, (1967 UK No.11 single 'I Feel Free'). Also worked with Jack Bruce, Graham Bond, Mick Jagger and Peter Green.

1943, Born on this day, Trevor Lucas, Fairport Convention, UK folk group, (1969 UK No.21 single 'Si Tu Dois Partie'). Also worked with Al Stewart and The Strawbs. Lucas died 4th February 1989.

1944, Born on this day, Henry Vestine, guitar, Canned Heat, (1970 UK No.2 & US No.26 single 'Let's Work Together'). Died on 20th October 1997.

1944, Born on this day, Kenny Everett, UK radio and TV presenter, (1983 UK No.9 single 'Snot Rap'). Died 4th April 1995.

1945, Born on this day, Noel Redding, bassist with the Jimi Hendrix Experience who had the 1967 UK #3 single 'Purple Haze', and the 1970 UK #1 single 'Voodoo Chile'. Redding was the first person to join the Jimi Hendrix Experience, and the first to leave, his final concert with them was in June 1969. Redding died on 11th May 2003 aged 57.

1946, Born on this day, Jimmy Buffett, American singer songwriter, (1977 US No.8 single 'Margaritaville', 2004 US No.1 album 'License to Chill').

1948, Born on this day, Country singer Barbara Mandrell, named Country Music Association entertainer of the year in 1979, 1980 & 1981, (1977 US No.1 Country single 'Sleeping Single In A Double Bed').

1954, Born on this day, Annie Lennox, singer, The Tourists, (1979 UK No.4 single 'I Only Want To Be With You'). Eurythmics, (1983 US No.1 single 'Sweet Dreams', 1985 UK No.1 single 'There Must Be An Angel'). Solo, (1995 UK No.2 single 'No More I Love You's').

1954, Born on this day, Robin Campbell, guitar, vocals, UB40, (1983 UK No.1 & 1988 US No.1 single 'Red Red Wine' and over 30 other Top 40 singles).

1957, Born on this day, Shane MacGowan, guitar, vocals, The Pogues, (1987 UK No.8 single 'The Irish Rover', 1987 UK No.2 single with Kirsty MacColl, 'Fairytale Of New York').

1958, Born on this day, Alannah Myles, Canadian singer, 1990 US No.1 and UK No.2 single 'Black Velvet.'

1964, Born on this day, Bob Stanley, Saint Etienne, (1993 UK No.12 single 'You're In A Bad Way')

1971, Born on this day, Dido, singer, songwriter, (2001 UK No.1 & US No.4 album 'No Angel', 2001 UK No.4 single 'Here With Me').

1971, Born on this day, Noel Hogan, guitar, The Cranberries, (1994 UK No.14 single 'Linger'). The bands 1993 album 'Everybody Else Is Doing It So Why Can’t We' spent 86 weeks on the UK chart.

1972, Born on this day, Josh Freese, drummer, Nine Inch Nails, (2005 US No.1 album ‘White Teeth’). Also worked with The Vandals, Devo, Viva Death and A Perfect Circle.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2011 at 14:23
December 26th: On this day

1963, Stevie Wonder arrived in the UK for appearances on the TV shows 'Ready Steady Go!' and 'Thank Your Lucky Stars.'

1963, Capitol Records, the EMI-affiliated company which rejected the US rights to every Beatles record that they were offered until then, finally released 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' backed with 'I Saw Her Standing There'. The song was currently topping the UK chart with 'This Boy' on the flip side. Within five weeks, the record would rise to number one in the US, where it would stay for seven weeks. The song was recorded the previous October and the hit version was take number 17.

1964, Lulu and Marty Wilde appeared in the pantomime 'Once Upon A Fairytale', at the Gaumont Theatre, Doncaster, England.

1964, The Beatles started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Feel Fine'. It was the group's 6th No.1 of the year in which they had 30 entries on the chart, giving them a total of 18 weeks at the top of the charts.

1964, The Rolling Stones placed an advertisement in the music paper New Musical Express, wishing starving hairdressers and their families a Happy Christmas.

1965, While spending Christmas at his father's home in Cheshire, Paul McCartney crashed from the moped he was riding and suffered a five-inch cut to his mouth.

1966, John Lennon appeared as a men's room attendant in Peter Cook's and Dudley Moore's BBC TV show 'Not only... But also'

1966, The Jimi Hendrix Experience played an afternoon show at The Uppercut Club, London. Hendrix also wrote the lyrics to Purple Haze in the dressing room on the same day.

1967, BBC Television broadcast The Beatles' movie ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ in black and white. The next day, the British press and the viewing public pronounce the film an utter disaster. The negative reaction was so strong that a US television deal for broadcasting the movie was cancelled.

1968, Led Zeppelin started their first North American tour supporting Vanilla Fudge and Spirit at Denver Auditorium, Colorado, tickets for this Sunday night gig cost $5.

1970, George Harrison started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'My Sweet Lord', making him the first Beatle to score a No.1 US hit. The song was originally intended for Billy Preston.

1973, Paul and Linda McCartney presented the UK TV BBC's 'Disney Time'.

1976, The Sex Pistols recorded 'God Save The Queen' at Wessex Studios London, England.

1979, The Grateful Dead played the first of five nights at the Oakland Auditorium, Arena, Oakland, California.

1979, The first night of a series of concerts were held at The Hammersmith Odeon in London for the People of Kampuchea, featuring Queen, The Clash, The Pretenders, The Who, Elvis Costello, Wings, and many more artists. The events which were organised by Paul McCartney and Kurt Waldheim were aimed to raise money for the victims of war-torn Cambodia.

1979, Pink Floyd’s The Wall was at No.1 on the US album chart. (The album spent a total of 15 weeks at No.1 during a 35-week stay on the chart). The Wall also spent a total of 5 weeks at No.1 on the UK chart.

1981, AC/DC started a three-week run at #1 on the US album chart with 'For Those About To Rock We Salute You' the follow-up to their highly successful album 'Back In Black'. The name of the album was inspired by a book Angus Young read, entitled 'For Those About to Die, We Salute You', about Roman gladiators.

1988, Shane McGowan was arrested for smashing the glass from a shop window in a drunken rage. The Pogues singer was later fined £250.

1989, U2 started a five-night run at Dublin's Point Depot in Ireland.

1998, The Spice Girls scored their 8th UK No.1 single with 'Goodbye', (the first single without Geri Halliwell). It gave the group the Christmas No.1 for the third year in a row equaling the record set by The Beatles from 1963, 64 and 65.

1999, American soul, R&B, and funk singer, songwriter Curtis Mayfield died aged 57. He was a member of The Impressions, (1965 US No.7 single 'Lilies Of The Field') and solo, (1971 UK No.12 single 'Move On Up', 1972 US No.4 single 'Freddie's Dead, Theme From Superfly').

1999, Notorious BIG was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Born Again.’

2004, 2Pac went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Loyal To The Game.'

2006, Michael Jackson filed a lawsuit against his former accountants, claiming they withdrew $2.5 million a year from his bank accounts but did not properly pay his bills. Jackson hired the Los Angeles-based firm in
2003 for book-keeping, opening bank accounts and filing personal, corporate and real estate taxes.

2007, Amy Winehouse's second album ‘Back to Black’ was named as the biggest-selling album of the year. Released at the end of 2006 the album had now sold more than 1.5m copies in the UK, achieving five platinum sales awards, Winehouse was also nominated for six Grammys including song of the year. Leona Lewis's ‘Spirit’ was the second best seller, Lewis sold 1.27m copies in just five weeks, becoming the fastest-selling debut in UK history and making the former X Factor winner the fastest female million-seller in the UK. Mika's ‘Life in Cartoon Motion’ were the third best selling album of 2007.

December 26th: Born on this day

1935, Born on this day, Abdul 'Duke' Fakir, The Four Tops, (1965 US No.1 single 'I Can't Help Myself', 1967 UK No.6 single 'Standing In The Shadows of Love').

1953, Born on this day, Henning Schmitz, Kraftwerk, (1982 UK No.1 single 'Computer Love / The Model').

1955, Born on this day, Lars Ulrich, drums, Metallica, (1991 UK No.5 single 'Enter Sandman', 1991 US & UK No.1 album 'Metallica').

1963, Born on this day, Dana Baldinger, bass, Popinjays, (1990 UK album 'Bang Up To Date With The Popinjays').

1971, Born on this day, Jared Joseph Leto, American actor and musician, 30 Seconds to Mars.

1979, Born on this day, Chris Daughtry, American guitarist, singer. Daughtry was the fourth-place finalist on the fifth season of American Idol. His band's self-titled debut 2007 US No.1 album sold more than 1 million copies after just five weeks of release, becoming the fastest selling debut rock album of all time.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2011 at 14:28
December 27th: On this day

1960, The Beatles appeared at Litherland Town Hall Ballroom in Liverpool. Added to the bill at the last minute, The Beatles were not advertised to appear, so banners had been pasted onto advertising posters, saying "Direct From Hamburg, The Beatles!" Since The Beatles were playing in an area they'd only played in once before, most of the audience assumes they were a German group.

1963, The music critics from the UK newspaper The Times, named John Lennon and Paul McCartney as The Outstanding Composers of 1963. Two days later, the Sunday Times' music critic Richard Buckle proclaims the same two songwriters "the greatest composers since Beethoven."

1964, The Who appeared at the Ealing Club, Ealing Broadway, London, England.

1967, The Doors appeared on the Jonathon Winters Show CBS TV show from Los Angeles, California.

1969, Led Zeppelin II was at No.1 on the US album charts, it went on to sell over six million copies in the US.

1969, Diana Ross and the Supremes went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Someday We'll Be Together', the group's 12th US No.1. A No.13 hit in the UK.

1969, Miles Davis was featured on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine, on sale for 35 Cents, (2/6).

1975, Queen started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK chart with 'A Night At The Opera' the group's first No.1 album.

1975, The Faces split became official. Rod Stewart had severed all connections with the group to work as a solo artist, Ron Wood was on permanent loan to the Stones, Ronnie Lane went on to form Slim Chance and drummer Kenny Jones joined The Who.

1975, The Staple Singers went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Let's Do It Again' the group's second US No.1.

1975, Future Smiths singer Steve Morrissey had a letter published in this week’s music magazine the NME, complaining about the lack of media coverage for the New York Dolls.

1976, Blues guitarist Freddie King died of heart trouble and ulcers aged 42. Eric Clapton covered his 'Have You Ever Loved A Woman' on his Layla album. Major influence on British and American blues-rock musicians such as Jimmy Vaughan, Ronnie Earl, Peter Green and Eric Clapton.

1980, John and Yoko's 'Double Fantasy' album started an eight-week run at No.1 on the US chart. 'Just Like Starting Over' started a five-week stay at No.1 on the singles chart.

1981, American composer, pianist, singer, actor, and bandleader Hoagy Carmichael died aged 82. Composer of 'Georgia On My Mind', (covered by many acts including Ray Charles), 'Star Dust' and 'Lazy River'.

1983, Walter Scott lead singer of Bob Kuban & The In-Men, who scored a 1966 US hit with ‘The Cheater’, was seen alive for the last time. On April 10th, 1987, his badly decomposed, bound body was found floating face down in a cistern, he’d been shot in the back. Scott's second wife, Jo Ann Calceterra, pleaded guilty to hindering prosecution in his murder and received a five-year sentence. Her boyfriend (whom she married in 1986), James H. Williams Sr. was found guilty of two counts of capital murder in the deaths of Walter Scott as well as his previous wife, Sharon Williams. James Williams received two life terms.

1983, The Police played the first of four sold-out nights at Wembley Arena in London, England, on their Synchronicity world tour.

1984, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Madness, Nik Kershaw, Gloria Gaynor, Spandau Ballet, The Flying Pickets and Helen Terry all appeared on the Granada TV music show Brighton Rock.

1985, Duran Duran singer Simon Le Bon married model Yasmin Parvanah.

1986, Jackie Wilson had the UK Christmas No.1 single with 'Reet Petite' two years after Wilson's death, following its use in a commercial for Levi's. Written in 1957 by Berry Gordy and Tyran Carlo, the success of the song helped Gordy fund the launch of Motown Records.

1989, A former chef at the Chuck Berry owned restaurant Southern Air started court proceedings against Berry alleging that the singer had installed secret video cameras in the ladies toilets. A further 200 other women also took action claiming that the recordings were used for improper sexual fetishes.

1992, Harry Connick Jr was arrested at Kennedy Airport, New York after police discovered a 9mm pistol in his hand luggage.

1997, The Spice Girls went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Too Much'. The group set another new world record as their first six singles all made No.1.

1999, Sean 'Puff Daddy' Combs and his girlfriend Jennifer Lopez were arrested after a gun was found in their car as they left a Manhattan nightclub. Police were investigating a shooting in the club.

2001, Steps announced they were splitting up. The group had notched up 13 Top 5 UK singles and had become Britain's biggest live act.

2004, Mario was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Let Me Love You.'

2005, It was announced that ‘Crazy Frog’ by Axel F was the best selling UK ringtone of 2005. ‘Tweet Tweet’ by Sweetie Chick was the second and ‘(Is This The Way To) Amarillo’ by Tony Christie and Peter Kay was the third biggest seller. The UK ringtone market was now worth more than double the value of the CD singles sales.

2008, Thieves broke into a house belonging to Allman Brothers Band singer and keyboardist Gregg Allman in Georgia and stole a coin collection, knives and unreleased concert recordings. Two men where charged with the burglary two days later.

2008, Singer, songwriter, guitarist, Delaney Bramlett died in Los Angeles from complications after gall bladder surgery. Was a member of Delaney, Bonnie & Friends and worked with George Harrison, The Everly Brothers, John Lennon, Janis Joplin, J.J. Cale, and Eric Clapton.

2008, Taylor Swift started a seven-week run at No.1 on the US album charts with ‘Fearless’.

December 27th: Born on this day

1931, Born on this day, Scotty Moore, guitarist, whose first group was Doug Poindexter & the Starlite Wranglers. He played on the first Sun Studios session with Elvis Presley and went on to a lengthy career with Presley, playing on many of his most famous recordings including 'Baby Let's Play House', 'Heartbreak Hotel', 'Mystery Train', 'That's All Right', 'Hound Dog' and 'Jailhouse Rock'.

1941, Born on this day, Les Maguire, Gerry And The Pacemakers, (1963 UK No.1 single 'You'll Never Walk Alone' 1965 US No.6 single, 'Ferry Across The Mersey').

1941, Born on this day, Mike Pinder, The Moody Blues, (1965 UK No.1 single 'Go Now' and 1968 UK No.19 & 1972 US No.2 single 'Nights In White Satin').

1943, Born on this day, Pete Quaife, bass, The Kinks, (1964 UK No.1 & US No.7 'You Really Got Me', 1967 UK No.2 single 'Waterloo Sunset' plus 19 other UK Top 40 singles).

1944, Born on this day, Mike Jones, guitar, Foreigner, (1985 UK & US No.1 single 'I Want To Know What Love Is')

1948, Born on this day, Larry Byrom, guitar, Steppenwolf, (1969 UK No.30 single 'Born To Be Wild').

1952, Born on this day, David Knopfler, Dire Straits, left in early 1980, (1979 UK No.8 single 'Sultans Of Swing').

1961, Born on this day, Youth, Killing Joke, (1985 UK No.16 single 'Love Like Blood'), producer, worked with U2.

1972, Born on this day, Matt Slocum, guitarist, keyboards, Sixpence None The Richer, (1999 UK No.4 single, 'Kiss Me', 1999 US No.8 single 'There She Goes').

1984, Born on this day, Spectacular Blue Smith, singer, Pretty Ricky, (2007 US No.1 album ‘Late Night Special’).

1988, Born on this day, Hayley Williams, singer, Paramore, 2009 UK No.1 album ‘Brand New Eyes’.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2011 at 09:01
December 28th: On this Day

1961, Danny Williams was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Moon River', the Oscar-winning song was from the film Breakfast At Tiffany's. The Tokens were at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight.'

1966, Ike & Tina Turner appeared at the El Cortez Hotel, San Diego, California.

1968, The Beatles went to No.1 on the US album chart with the 'White Album', the group's 12th US No.1 album.

1968, The three day Miami Pop festival took place, the first major rock festival held on the East Coast of the US, with Chuck Berry, The McCoys, Joni Mitchell, Fleetwood Mac, Marvin Gaye, The Turtles, The Box Tops, Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, Pacific Gas and Electric, Procol Harum, Canned Heat, Iron Butterfly and The Grateful Dead.

1968, Vanilla Fudge appeared at the Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver, Canada supported by Led Zeppelin on their first US tour.

1968, Pink Floyd appeared at the two day festival Flight To Lowlands Paradise II, Margriethal-Jaarbeurs, Utrecht, The Netherlands, (replacing Jimi Hendrix). Other acts appearing included Jethro Tull, Jeff Beck, The Pretty Things and the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.

1971, During a UK tour Mott The Hoople appeared at the Guildhall in Plymouth.

1971, George Harrison was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'My Sweet Lord', making him the first Beatle to score a No.1 US hit. The song was originally intended for Billy Preston.

1972, David Bowie appeared at The Hardrock, Stretford, Manchester, England on his Ziggy Stardust tour.

1974, Helen Reddy went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Angie Baby', the singers third US No.1. The song was turned down by Cher.

1978, Chris Bell guitarist with Big Star was killed after his car crashed into a telephone pole, he was 27.

1978, Rolling Stone magazine voted 'Some Girls' by The Rolling Stones 'Album of the Year.'

1980, St Winifred's School Choir were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'There's No One Quite Like Grandma.'

1983, Having made two successful dives below a friend’s yacht to find items he’d drunkenly thrown off his own boat three years before, Beach Boy Dennis Wilson took one last dive into the Pacific and never returned from the boat moored in Marina Del Rey, California. With the help of President Reagan he was given a burial at sea, normally reserved for Navel personnel. Dennis was the only genuine surfer in The Beach Boys.

1985, Shakin' Stevens was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Merry Christmas Everyone'. The Welsh singers fourth and final UK No.1.

1988, Nirvana appeared at the Hollywood Underground, Seattle, Washington.

1991, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana and Pearl Jam all appeared at Del Mar O'brien Pavilion, San Diego, California.

1993, Canadian singer Shania Twain married record producer Mutt Lange.

1996, The Spice Girls scored their third UK No.1 single with '2 Become 1'. The ballad from their debut album became their first Christmas No.1.

1998, UK radio station BBC Radio 1 aired the 100 National Anthems, songs voted by listeners. At No.5 Radiohead, 'Creep', No.4 Underworld 'Born Slippy', No.3 The Verve 'Bitter Sweet Symphony', No.2 Nirvana 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', No.1 Massive Attack 'Unfinished Sympathy'.

2002, Shamed rock star Gary Glitter was deported from Cambodia after spending two nights in jail over suspected sex offences.

2003, 50 Cent's debut album, 'Get Rich Or Die Tryin' was named the biggest selling album in the US in 2003 with the album going platinum six times over. Outkast came second with 'Speakerboxxx' / 'The Love Below' and Linkin Park's 'Meteora' was the third biggest seller. The Top 10 albums of 2003 in the USA accounted for around 30 million sales.

2005, Pink Floyd were voted the greatest rock stars ever in a survey of 58,000 listeners from UK radio station Planet Rock. Led Zeppelin were voted into second place, 3rd was The Rolling Stones, 4th The Who, 5th, AC/DC, 6th, U2, 7th, Guns N’ Roses, 8th, Nirvana, 9th, Bon Jovi and in 10th place Jimi Hendrix. Listeners also named the 1970s as the golden age of rock, followed by the 1960’s.

December 28th: Born on this day

1915, Born on this day, Roebuck 'pop' Staples, vocals, The Staple Singers, (1975 US No.1 single 'Let's Do It Again'). Died 19th December 2000.

1921, Born on this day, Johnny Otis, (1957 UK No.2 single 'Ma, He's Making Eyes At Me', 1958 US No.9 single 'Willie And The Hand Jive').

1938, Born on this day, Charles Neville, sax, The Neville Brothers, (1989 UK No.47 single 'With God On Our Side').

1943, Born on this day, Chas Hodges, Heads Hands And Feet, Chas & Dave, (1982 UK No.2 single 'Ain't No Pleasing You').

1946, Born on this day, Edgar Winter, Edgar Winter Group, keyboards, vocals, (1973 US No.1 & UK No.18 single 'Frankenstein').

1947, Born on this day, Dick Diamonde, The Easybeats, (1966 UK No.6 & 1967 US No. 16 single 'Friday On My Mind').

1950, Born on this day, Alex Chilton, guitar, vocals, The Box Tops, (1967 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'The Letter'), formed Big Star in 1971. Died in hospital of heart problems in New Orleans on March 17th 2010 aged 59.

1953, Born on this day, Richard Clayderman, French pianist who has sold over 70 million albums world-wide, biggest UK hit is the 1982 UK No.2 album 'Richard Clayderman.'

1954, Born on this day, Rosie Vela, US singer songwriter, (1987 UK No.27 single 'Magic Smile').

1964, Born on this day, Paul Wagstaff, Black Grape, (1995 UK No.8 single 'In The Name Of The Father').

1971, Born on this day, Anita Dels, vocals, 2 Unlimited, (1993 UK No.1 single 'No Limit').

1978, Born on this day, John Legend (John Stephens), singer, songwriter, 2006 US No.3 & UK No.10 album ‘Once Again.’

1979, Born on this day, Akon, (Aliaune Thiam), US singer, (2005 UK No.1 album ‘Trouble’, 2005 UK No.1 and US No.4 single ‘Lonely’, (which samples Bobby Vinton's ‘Mr. Lonely’).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2011 at 11:10
December 29th: On this Day

1956, Elvis Presley made chart history by having 10 songs on Billboards Top 100 for week ending Dec 19th.

1960, Cliff Richard was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Love You'. The singers fourth UK No.1 and his first Xmas No.1.

1962, During his first visit to the UK Bob Dylan performed at The Troubadour in London.

1964, The Liverpool Youth Employment Service announced that some school leavers were finding it difficult to get jobs because their ‘Beatle’ style haircuts and clothing were unacceptable to employers.

1966, The Jimi Hendrix Experience made their debut on the UK TV show 'Top Of The Pops' performing 'Hey Joe'.

1966, Working at Abbey Road studios, London, Paul McCartney began work on his new song ‘Penny Lane’, recording six takes of keyboard tracks and various percussion effects.

1966, Pink Floyd appeared at The Marquee, Wardour Street, London, England.

1967, Guitarist and singer Dave Mason quit Traffic after differences of musical opinion.

1967, The Doors appeared at The Family Dog, Denver, Colorado.

1968, Led Zeppelin appeared at the Civic Auditorium, Portland on their first North American tour opening for Vanilla Fudge.

1969, The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band appeared at The Lyceum, London.

1973, Jim Croce scored his second No.1 US single of the year when 'Time In A Bottle' went to the top of the charts. Croce was killed in a plane crash on the way to a concert on September 20th 1973.

1980, American singer, songwriter Tim Hardin died of a heroin overdose. Hardin wrote the songs 'If I Were A Carpenter' (covered by Bobby Darin, Johnny Cash and June Carter, The Four Tops, Leon Russell, Small Faces, Robert Plant and Bob Seger,) and 'Reason To Believe', (covered by Rod Stewart). Hardin appeared at the 1969 Woodstock Festival.

1982, Sets of commemorative stamps in memory of Bob Marley were issued in Jamaica.

1984, Band Aid were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' and Madonna was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Like A Virgin.'

1990, Cliff Richard has his 12th UK No.1 single with 'Saviour's Day', his 13th UK No.1 single and his second Christmas chart topper.

1991, Nirvana appeared at the ASU Activity Center, Tempel, Arizona.

1999, UK music paper The Melody Maker published it's Music of the Millennium Poll of albums placing The Smiths 'The Queen Is Dead' at Number 1.

1999, Three ferrets named Beckham, Posh Spice and Baby Spice were used to lay power cables for a rock concert being held in Greenwich, London, England, (workers were not allowed to dig up the turf at the Royal Park). Organizers found that rods could not push the cables through the tiny tunnels, which frequently bend and dog-leg. The ferrets were eased into tiny nylon harnesses with wires which where then attached to a rope, the animals ran into a series of ducts which were under the stage like rabbit runs, leading the cables with them. The ferrets instinctively make for any hole in the ground and are enticed to the end of the duct by a slab of smelly meat. The New Years Eve concert featured Simply Red, Eurythmics and Bryan Ferry.

2001, Aretha Franklin was suing a US newspaper which alleged that the star had alcohol problems. The singer's lawyers filed a federal lawsuit against the Florida-based Star claiming she was defamed by an article in the paper in December 2000 and were seeking $50m (£35m) in damages.

2002, Readers of Sugar magazine voted Pink as their No.1 role model. The Top 10 was: 1. Pink; 2. Britney Spears; 3. Ms Dynamite; 4. Kelly Osbourne; 5. Kylie Minogue; 6. Victoria Beckham; 7. Avril Lavigne; 8. Jennifer Lopez; 9. Sarah Michelle Geller and 10. Holly Valance.

2006, The wife of rock singer Marilyn Manson, Burlesque dancer Dita Von Teese filed for divorce after just a year of marriage. The couple married in December 2005 in a ceremony held at a castle in Ireland.

December 29th: Born on this day

1942, Born on this day, Ray Thomas, The Moody Blues, (1965 UK No.1 single 'Go Now', and 1968 UK No.19 & 1972 US No.2 single 'Nights In White Satin').

1943, Born on this day, Rick Danko, guitar, vocals, The Band, (1970 UK No.16 single 'Rag Mama Rag'). Died 10th December 1999.

1946, Born on this day, Marianne Faithfull, UK singer, one time girlfriend of Mick Jagger, (1965 UK No.4 single 'Come And Stay With Me').

1947, Born on this day, Cozy Powell, drummer, Whitesnake, ELP & solo, (1973 UK No.3 single 'Dance With The Devil'). Powell was killed in a car crash in England on 5th April 1998.

1948, Born on this day, Charlie Spinosa, John Fred and His Playboy Band, (1968 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Judy In Disguise').

1951, Born on this day, Yvonne Elliman, singer, (1978 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'If I Can't Have You', also worked with Eric Clapton).

1955, Born on this day, Neil Giraldo, Pat Benatar group, (1985 UK No.17 single 'Love Is A Battlefield', plus 10 other US Top 40 singles).

1961, Born on this day, Jim Reid, The Jesus and Mary Chain, (1987 UK No.8 single 'April Skies').

1961, Born on this day, Mark Day, guitar, Happy Mondays, (1990 UK No.5 single 'Step On').

1963, Born on this day, Alex Gifford, Propellerheads, (1997 UK No.7 single 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service'), remixed 808 State, Luscious Jackson.

1966, Born on this day, Bryan Holland, vocals, guitar, The Offspring, (1999 UK No.1 & US No. 59 single 'Pretty Fly, (For A White Guy', 1999 US No.6 & UK No.10 album 'Americana').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2011 at 13:15
December 30th: On this Day

1962, Ike & Tina Turner, The Ike-etts, Jimmy Thomas and Mary Brown all appeared at Cocoanut Grove, Sacrament, California.

1962, Singer Brenda Lee was hurt when she attempted to rescue her poodle, Cee Cee from her burning house. Cee Cee later died of smoke inhalation.

1965, The Kinks, The Who, Manfred Man, The Hollies and Gerry and the Pacemakers all appeared on tonight's UK TV pop show 'Shindig!'

1966, Pink Floyd and Soft Machine appeared at the UFO presents Night Tripper at the Blarney Club, London, England.

1967, The Beatles scored their 15th US No.1 with 'Hello Goodbye', Gladys Knight and the Pips were at No.2 with 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine' and The Monkees at No.3 with 'Daydream Believer.'

1968, Led Zeppelin appeared at Gonzaga University Gymnasium, Spokane on their first North American tour supporting Vanilla Fudge.

1969, Peter Tork quit The Monkees, buying himself out of his contract which left him broke.

1972, Brownsville Station, Sha-Na-Na and Bruce Springsteen (who was the opening act), all appeared of the Ohio Theatre, Columbus, Ohio.

1978, Emerson Lake and Palmer announced their official break up.

1978, XTC made their live debut in the US when they played a show in Philadelphia.

1989, Chris Novoselic bass player with Nirvana married his long-time girlfriend Shelli Dilly in Washington.

1995, Clarence Satchell from The Ohio Players died aged 55. Scored the 1974 US No.1 single 'Fire' and had hits with ‘Skin Tight’, ‘I Want To Be Free’ and ‘Love Roller Coaster.’

1999, George Harrison and his wife Olivia were attacked when an intruder broke into their home in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Olivia beat off the attacker with a poker and heavy lamp. Harrison who was stabbed in the chest was admitted to hospital and treated for a collapsed lung and various minor stab wounds. His wife, Olivia, was treated for cuts and bruises she had suffered in the struggle with the intruder. Police later arrested Michael Abram from Liverpool who had nursed an irrational obsession with the Beatles.

1999, In the Queen's Millennium Honours list, former Slade singer Noddy Holder was awarded an MBE and guitarist Mark Knopfler was awarded an OBE.

2001, Nickelback went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'How To Remind Me'.

2002, Diana Ross was arrested for drink driving by the Arizona highway patrol after a motorist called to report a swerving vehicle in the western state of Arizona. When asked to walk in a straight line she fell over, could not count to 30 or balance on one foot. Police said the singer was twice over the drink drive limit with a blood-alcohol of 0.20, the legal limit is 0.08.

2002, The funeral of former Clash singer and guitarist Joe Strummer took place in London. Strummer had died of a suspected heart attack on 22nd Dec 2002 aged 50.

2003, Cris Kirkwood from the Meat Puppets was arrested and accused of hitting a federal post office security guard in the head with a baton that the musician took from the guard during a struggle, the guard then shot Kirkwood in the back. The incident began over a dispute about parking with another customer at a Phoenix post office.

2006, R&B singer Brandy was involved in a four-car crash that left one woman dead, after the singer failed to slow down and hit the back of another car. Brandy was alone in her car and no alcohol or drugs were involved.

2006, Young Jeezy was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘The Inspiration’ the American rappers fourth album.

December 30th: Born on this day

1928, Born on this day, Bo Diddley, (Elias McDaniel), guitarist, singer, (R&B hits, 'Bo Diddley', 'You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover', 1963 UK No.34 single 'Pretty Thing'). When The Beatles first went to the US, John Lennon was asked what he would like to see; he replied 'Bo Diddley.' Diddley died from heart failure in Archer, Florida aged 79 on 2nd June 2008.

1934, Born on this day, Del Shannon, singer, (1961 UK and US No.1 single 'Runaway', plus 9 US & 12 other UK Top 40 singles). Died on 8th February 1990.

1940, Born on this day, Perry Ford, Ivy League, (1965 UK No.3 single 'Tossing and Turning').

1940, Born on this day, Kenny Penifallo, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, (1978 album 'Hearts Of Stone').

1942, Born on this day, Mike Nesmith, vocals, guitar, The Monkees, (1967 UK & US No.1 single 'I'm A Believer' plus 10 US & 8 UK Top 40 singles).

1942, Born on this day, Robert Quine, guitarist, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, (1977 album 'Blank Generation' features the track 'Love Comes In Spurts'). Worked with Lou Reed, Brian Eno, Lloyd Cole, They Might Be Giants. Found dead on May 31st 2004 of a heroin overdose.

1945, Born on this day, Davy Jones, vocals, guitar, The Monkees, (1967 UK & US No.1 single 'I'm A Believer' plus 10 US & 8 UK Top 40 singles). Actor in 1986 London cast of 'Godspell'.

1946, Born on this day, American singer-songwriter, poet and visual artist Patti Smith, who became a highly influential component of the New York City punk rock movement. Smith had the 1976 album 'Horses', and the 1978 UK #5 and US #13 single 'Because The Night', co-written with Bruce Springsteen.

1947, Born on this day, Jeff Lynne, guitar, vocals, Idle Race, The Move, (1969 UK No.1 single 'Blackberry Way',) Electric Light Orchestra, (1979 UK No.3& US No. 4 single 'Don't Bring Me Down'), Traveling Wilburys, (1988 UK No.28 'Handle With Care'), producer.

1959, Born on this day, Tracy Ullman, singer, actress, (1983 UK No.2 single 'They Don't Know').

1969, Born on this day, Jason Kay, vocals, (Jay Kay, Jamiroquai, 1996 UK No.3 single 'Virtual Insanity', 2001 UK No.1 album 'A Funk Odyssey').

1970, Born on this day, Sister Bliss (Ayalah Bentovim), producer, DJ, Faithless, (1996 UK No.3 album ‘Insomnia’).

1978, Born on this day, Tyrese, US male singer, (1999 UK No.55 single, 'Sweet Lady', 2001 US No. 8 album, '2000 Watts').

1988, Born on this day, Leon Jackson, Scottish singer who won the fourth series of the UK TV talent show The X Factor in 2007. His UK No.1 debut single, a cover of the Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey duet 'When You Believe' became the fastest selling UK single of 2007. It also made Jackson the first Scottish artist to achieve a UK Christmas number one.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2012 at 00:49
December 31st: On this day

1955, Based on sales from stores, radio and jukebox plays Billboard named 'Unchained Melody' by Les Baxter the number 1 US song of 1955.

1961, The Beach Boys made their live debut using their new name when they appeared at Long Beach Civic Auditorium, California.

1962, During his first visit to the UK Bob Dylan played at the King and Queen pub in London.

1963, The Kinks made their live debut when they played at the Lotus House Restaurant, London.

1966, The Monkees started a 7-week run at No.1 on the US singles charts with the Neil Diamond song 'I'm A Believer'. Also No.1 in the UK in 1967.

1966, Ray Charles appeared at the City Center Arena in Seattle Washington, tickets cost $4.50 on the door.

1967, American songwriter and producer Bert Berns died of heart failure aged 38. He wrote many classic songs including 'Twist And Shout', 'Hang On Sloopy', ‘Here Comes the Night’, ‘I Want Candy’ and 'Brown Eyed Girl'.

1968, Joe Cocker, Amen Corner, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, The Small Faces, Free and Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band all appeared at Alexandra Palace, London. Tickets 25 shillings, ($3.00).

1970, Paul McCartney filed a suit against the rest of The Beatles to dissolve their partnership.

1973, Australian band AC/DC made their live debut when they appeared at Chequers Bar in Sydney.

1973, Journey made their live debut at San Francisco's Winterland Ballroom.

1979, Blondie's gig at The Apollo Theatre, Glasgow, Scotland was broadcast live on BBC 2's 'Old Grey Whistle Test'.

1979, David Bowie performed an acoustic version of 'Space Oddity' on the UK TV 'Kenny Everett New Year's Show'.

1981, Tom Waits married Irish playwright Kathleen Brennan.

1982, Guitarist with The E Street Band, Miami Steve Van Zandt married Maureen Santora in New Jersey. Best man was Bruce Springsteen.

1982, Max's Kansas City in New York City closed down. The venue had been a launching pad for such artists as The New York Dolls, Bruce Springsteen and The Velvet Underground.

1984, Def Leppard drummer Rick Allen, crashed his Corvette Stingray, on the A57 outside Sheffield, Allen lost his left arm in the accident. Allen was on his way to a New Year's Eve party at his family's home when a Jaguar passed him. The driver had been egging Allen on and would not allow him to pass. In his rage to pass this driver, he did not see a turn up ahead and lost control of his car. He was thrown from the car, with his left arm severed due to the seatbelt not being properly fastened.

1985, Ricky Nelson was killed along with six others, when his charted light aircraft crashed in Texas. It's rumoured that freebasing cocaine caused an onboard explosion. Nelson had played himself on his parent's US TV The Adventures Of Ozzie and Harriet.' (1958 US No.1 'Poor Little Fool', 1961 UK No.2 single 'Hello Mary Lou' plus over 30 US Top 40 hit singles).

1991, Pearl Jam, Nirvana and the Red Hot Chili Peppers all appeared on the same bill at the Cow Palace, San Francisco, California.

1991, John Power quit Liverpool based band the La's to form Cast.

1991, Ted Nugent donated 200 pounds of venison to a Salvation Army soup kitchen in Detroit with the message 'I kill it, you grill it'.

1994, Garth Brooks started a seven-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with, 'The Hits'.

1995, Guests on UK C4-TV show 'The White Room' included David Bowie, Oasis, Pulp, Stevie Wonder and PM Dawn.

1996, Paul McCartney became a Sir after he was listed in the Queens New Year's Honours List.

1999, The Manic Street Preachers performed to 57,000 fans at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff. The Guinness Book of Records confirmed that the concert set a new record as the biggest indoor show ever staged in Europe, tickets £30.

2000, Janet Jackson's estranged husband filed a lawsuit against the singer claiming that Jackson, who had sold more than 40 million records, promised to share equally any assets acquired after their relationship began in 1987.

2000, Black Crowes singer Chris Robinson married actress Kate Hudson the daughter of actress Goldie Hawn. The couple separated in 2006.

2001, UK record chain HMV listed the best selling music products over Christmas: 'No Angel' by Dido was the best selling album, Kylie Minogue sold the most calendars, Kurt Cobain: 'Heavier Than Heaven' was the best selling book and D-12 T-Shirt was listed as the No.1 seller.

2003, Ringtones.co.uk announced that Beyonce's number 1 hit 'Crazy In Love' was the best selling mobile ringtone of the year. 'Fly On The Wings Of Love' by XTM was the second biggest ringtone and R. Kelly's 'Ignition' was third.

2003, Kevin MacMichael, guitarist with Cutting Crew died of lung cancer aged 51. (1987 US No.1 & 1986 UK No.4 single 'I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight'). Also worked with Robert Plant and The Rankin Family.

2003, Australian singer and actress Natalie Imbruglia married Silverchair singer Daniel Johns.

2004, Pete Waterman was awarded an OBE for his services to music. Once part of the Stock, Aitken & Waterman team he also booked the first ever tour for The Bay City Rollers, signed Musical Youth and Nik Kershaw during the 70’s and was promotion consultant for John Travolta. Waterman had written and produced more than 200 hit singles in 25 years for acts from Kylie Minogue to Steps.

2005, According to official figures singer-songwriter James Blunt's 'Back To Bedlam' was the biggest selling UK album of 2005. The former soldier, who was virtually unknown this time last year, outsold Coldplay's album 'X&Y' which finished second and Robbie Williams came in third place with ‘Intensive Care’ album. The rest of the Top 10: No.4. Kaiser Chiefs - ‘Employment’, 5. Gorillaz - ‘Demon Days’, 6. Westlife - ‘Face To Face’, 7. KT Tunstall - ‘Eye To The Telescope’, 8. Kelly Clarkson - ‘Breakaway’, 9. Faithless - ‘Forever Faithless - The Greatest Hits’ and No.10, Eminem - ‘Curtain Call - The Hits’.

2005, The John Lennon song Imagine was voted the nations favourite song a quarter of a century after his death. A UK radio station conducted the poll of 7,000 listeners. The Beatles were voted into second and third place with 'Hey Jude' and 'Let It Be.'

2006, George Michael was paid a reported £1.5m for an hour's concert at a Russian billionaire's New Year party. The unnamed businessman paid for Michael to entertain his 300 guests on his private estate 20 miles outside Moscow. Michael had just finished the British leg of his Twentyfive tour which included a free concert for nurses in London.

2009, Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi from Status Quo were both appointed OBEs for services to music and charity.

December 31st: Born on this day

1942, Born on this day, Andy Summers, guitarist, Police, (1983 UK & US No.1 single 'Every Breath You Take', plus 4 other UK No.1 singles).

1943, Born on this day, Henry John Deutschendorf, (John Denver), singer, songwriter. 1974 UK & US No.1 single 'Annie's Song'. Killed in a plane crash on 12th October 1997.

1947, Born on this day, Burton Cummings, Guess Who & solo, (1970 US No.1 & UK No.19 single 'American Woman').

1948, Born on this day, US singer Donna Summer, (1977 UK No.1 single 'I Feel Love' 1979 US No.1 & UK No.11 single 'Hot Stuff, over 25 other top 40 hits).

1951, Born on this day, Tom Hamilton, bass, Aerosmith, (1989 UK No.13 single 'Love In An Elevator', 1989 album 'Pump' spent 53 weeks on the US charts, 1993 US No.1 & UK No.2 album 'Get A Grip', 1998 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing').

1951, Born on this day, Fermin Goytisolo, KC and the Sunshine Band, (1975 US No.1 single 'That's The Way, I Like It', 1983 UK No.1 single 'Give It Up').

1960, Born on this day, Paul Westerberg, guitar, vocals, The Replacements, (1984 album, 'Let It Be').

1961, Born on this day, Scott Taylor, guitar, Then Jerico, (1989 UK No.13 single 'Big Area').

1963, Born on this day, Scott Ian, Anthrax, (1991 UK No.16 single 'Got The Time').

1970, Born on this day, Danny McNamara, singer, Embrace, (2006 UK No. 2 single ‘Natures Law’, 2006 UK No.1 album ‘This New Day’).

1972, Born on this day, Joey McIntrye, New Kids On The Block, (1989 UK No.1 single 'You Got It, The Right Stuff', 1990 US No.1 single 'Step By Step').

1979, Born on this day, Bob Bryar, drummer, My Chemical Romance, (2006 UK No.1 single ‘Welcome to the Black Parade’, 2006 US No.2 album ‘The Black Parade’).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2012 at 00:57
January 1st: On this day

1953, Country singer Hank Williams died of a heart attack brought on by a lethal cocktail of pills and alcohol aged 29. Made his first record in 1946, scored 36 Top 10 US country hits, his best Known being 'Your Cheatin Heart.' Over 20,000 mourners attended his funeral.

1955, English singer Dickie Valentine was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Finger Of Suspicion'. Valentine hosted The Dickie Valentine TV Show in 1956.

1955, Elvis Presley appeared at The Eagles Hall in Houston Texas. Presley went on to play over 250 shows in 1955.

1956, Bill Haley's 'Rock Around The Clock' went to No.1 on the UK singles chart for the second time.

1957, BBC Television aired its new rock & roll show 'Cool For Cats' for the first time. With a miniscule budget, the program was forced to rely on artists miming and the talents of a resident dance group (led by Douglas Squires). Ker Robertson, the first host, was succeeded after a few weeks by Kent Walton, later better known for his ITV wrestling commentaries

1960, Johnny Cash played a free concert for the inmates of San Quentin Prison, California.

1962, The Beatles auditioned for Decca Records in West Hampstead, London. A&R boss at Decca Dick Rowe turned them down.

1964, The first edition of the BBC TV show Top Of The Pops was transmitted from an old church hall in Manchester, England. Introduced by DJ Jimmy Saville, acts miming to their latest releases included The Rolling Stones, (I Wanna Be Your Man), The Dave Clark Five, (Glad All Over), The Hollies, (Stay), and The Swinging Blue Jeans, (Hippy Hippy Shake). The first song played was Dusty Springfield's 'I Only Want To Be With You'. Also featured on disc and film, The Beatles, (I Want to Hold Your Hand), Freddie & the Dreamers, Cliff Richard and the Shadows and Gene Pitney.

1965, The Yardbirds (with Eric Clapton), played two shows at The Odeon Cinema, Hammersmith in London. One at 6.15 and 8.45pm.

1966, Simon and Garfunkel started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Sounds Of Silence', a No.13 hit in the UK.

1967, The Doors made their first live television appearance lip-synching their first single ‘Break on Through’ on Shebang, KTLA-TV Channel 5 in Los Angeles. The single peaked No. 126 on the US chart mainly due to lack of airplay after censors objected to the drug use implied by the line "she gets high", which is repeated in the middle section of the song.

1968, Billboard magazine reported that for the first time albums had outsold singles in the US with album sales reaching over 192 million units.

1969, Marmalade were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of The Beatles song 'Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da'.

1970, Rolf Harris was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Two Little Boys'. The song was written by American composer Theodore Morse and lyricist Edward Madden in 1902.

1971, Radio Luxembourg aired over seven hours of continuous Beatles music to celebrate the group's tenth year in the music business. Every track played was a single or LP track by The Beatles plus tracks from solo albums.

1972, Carole King started a three week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Music', her second US chart topper.

1972, Marc Bolan signed a deal with EMI to release records in the UK on his own T Rex Wax co. label.

1976, Procol Harum, John Miles, Barclay James Harvest, Baker Gurvitz Army and Snafu all appeared at the Great British Music Festival, London, tickets £3.30.

1977, Genesis played the first of three nights at the new-look Rainbow Theatre, London, tickets cost £2.50 ($4.25). The theatre had been completely renovated at a cost of £80,000 ($136,000).

1977, The Clash played the opening night at punk's first real venue, The Roxy Club in London.

1977, Wings were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Mull Of Kintyre.' Spending nine weeks at No.1 in became the first single to sell over 2 million copies in the UK.

1979, The Invaders played their last gig at the Filmmakers Co-Op in London and then went on to form Madness.

1980, Cliff Richard was included in the Queen's New Year list, being awarded an OBE.

1982, Abba made their final live appearance as a group when they played in Stockholm, Sweden.

1984, Alexis Korner died of lung cancer aged 55. Know as "the Founding Father of British Blues", he was a major force behind the UK early 60's R&B scene. Formed Blues Incorporated; members at various times included Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker, Long John Baldry, Graham Bond and Charlie Watts. Had hits with CCS, including a version of Led Zeppelin's 'Whole Lotta Love' which was used as the theme for BBC's Top Of The Pops for several years. Became a radio presenter in the 70's.

1988, Breakdancers Rob Pilatus and Fabrice Morvan signed a contract with Boney M producer Frank Farian. Milli Vanilli were born.

1988, Prince played an after midnight New Years Eve charity gig in aid of the homeless in Minnesota. Miles Davis joined him on stage.

1989, Nirvana signed a one-year recording contract with Sub Pop records. The Seattle based label began not as a record label but as a fanzine (called Subterranean Pop), in the early 80’s, also signed Soundgarden and Mudhoney.

1990, New American radio station WKRL in Florida played the Led Zeppelin track 'Stairway To Heaven' for 24 hours, as a prelude to an all Zeppelin format.

1992, Diana Ross opened the annual Harrods January sale in London.

1994, Music weekly Melody Makers Top singles of 1993; No.3 Pulp, 'Razzamtazz', No.2, Radiohead 'Creep' and No.1 The Breeders, 'Cannonball'. Top 3 albums, 'Star' by Belly No.3, Afghan Whigs 'Gentleman' No.2 and No.1 Tindersticks self-titled debut album.

1995, Garth Brooks started a six week run at No.1 on the US album charts with 'The Hits.'

1998, a mystery buyer paid £31,000 ($52,700) for the car number plate ‘OAS 15’ at auction in Cheltenham. It was rumoured that a member from Oasis had bought the plate.

2002, Eric Clapton married 25-year old Melia McEnery the mother of his baby daughter at a secret ceremony at the 15th Century St Mary Magdalen Church in Riplley, Surrey, England.

2002, Welsh singer Shakin' Stevens spent several hours in police custody after being arrested for drink driving. The 80's singer was charged and released to appear before magistrates on January 16th.

2002, The Top five selling UK albums of 2001, No. 5, Shaggy, 'Hot Shot', No.4, Travis, 'The Invisible Band', No.3 Eva Cassidy, 'Songbird', No.2, David Gray, 'White Ladder' and No.1, Dido, 'No Angel'.

2005, in most of Europe, copyright expired on a number of classic pop and rock-and-roll songs recorded in 1954 and earlier, including Bill Haley's ‘Rock Around the Clock’ and ‘Only You’ by The Platters.

2007, Queen beat The Beatles to be crowned greatest British band of all time by BBC Radio 2 listeners in the UK. They pipped the Fab Four in a live contest, trouncing other finalists The Rolling Stones, Oasis and Take That. The bands were judged on song-writing, lyrics, live performances, originality and showmanship. More than 20,000 listeners voted by email, text and phone.

2008, The British Phonographic Industry (BPI) reported that the number of music downloads sold in the UK in the final week of 2007 was double the total of 12 months earlier. In total there were 2.95 million downloads in seven days, the highest ever recorded for any weekly period. And when the whole of the year was taken into account, 77.5 million downloads were sold in the UK in 2007.

2009, According to official UK sales figures Duffy’s debut album Rockferry came top of the year-end chart, with 1.685 million copies sold. Take That had the second biggest seller with The Circus, Kings of Leon, Only By The Night was third, Spirit by Leona Lewis was fourth and Coldplay had the fifth biggest seller with Viva La Vida. X Factor winner Alexandra Burke had the UK's top-selling single after her version of Hallelujah sold 888,000 copies in the last two weeks of the year.

2011, Chuck Berry cut short a concert at Congress Theater, Chicago, Illinois after collapsing on stage an hour into the show. Berry slumped over a keyboard and did not move for a couple of minutes before being helped off stage, he returned 15 minutes later only to be forced off again almost immediately. The 84 year-old later re-emerged on stage but told fans he had no strength to continue performing.

January 1st: Born on this day

1942, Born on this day, Joe McDonald, vocals, Country Joe and the Fish, 1968 US hit 'I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die.'

1945, Born on this day, Jim Gordon, American drummer, one of the most requested session drummers in the late 1960s and 1970s. Gordon co-wrote Layla with Eric Clapton, worked with The Everly Brothers, The Monkees, The Beach Boys, (Pet Sounds) The Byrds, George Harrison, (All Things Must Pass), John Lennon, (Imagine), The Carpenters, Traffic, Glen Campbell, (Wichita Lineman), Steely Dan, Jackson Browne, Frank Zappa and many others. A diagnosed schizophrenic, Gordon murdered his mother on June 3, 1983, by pounding her head with a hammer. He was sentenced to sixteen years-to-life in prison in 1984.

1950, Born on this day, Morgan Fisher, keyboards, Mott The Hopple, 1972 UK No.3 & US No.37 single 'All The Young Dudes', a song David Bowie offered the band on hearing they were about to split up.

1956, Born on this day, Diane Warren, US songwriter. Warren has written over 80 US Top 20 hits including; Aerosmith, 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing', LeAnn Rimes, 'How Do I Live', Toni Braxton, 'Un- Break My Heart', plus hits for Cher, Celine Dion, Michael Bolton, Rod Stewart and Ace Of Base.

1958, Born on this day, Joseph Saddler, (Grandmaster Flash), 1982 UK No.8 single 'The Message.' Major force in early Rap music, was given his nickname after his rapid hand movements on the record decks.

1968, Born on this day, Rick J. Jordan (born Hendrik Stedler), German techno group Scooter who have sold over 14 million records and are considered the most successful single-record German act with 20 top ten hits. 2008 UK No.1 album ‘Jumping All Over The World.’

1972, Born on this day, Tom Barman, guitar, vocals, dEUS, (Belgium band, 1996 UK Top 50 album ‘Little Arithmetics’).

1975, Born on this day, Thomas Bangaltier, Daft Punk, 1997 UK No.5 single 'Around The World', remixed Gabrielle, Chemical Brothers.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2012 at 01:04
January 2nd: On this day

1926, The first issue of The Melody Maker went on sale priced at 3d. The monthly magazine was for 'all who are interested in the production of popular music'. In the first issue, Dance Band news, a feature on Ukuleles and how to read music by sight.

1954, Eddie Calvert started a nine-week run at No.1 on the UK singles with 'Oh, Mein Papa.' This was the first No.1 to be recorded at Abbey Road studios in London and stayed at the top of the charts for 9 weeks.

1965, Elvis Presley went to No.1 on the US album chart with the soundtrack from 'Roustabout,' Presley's eighth No.1.

1968, The entire shipment of John and Yoko's album 'Two Virgins' was seized by authorities in New Jersey due to the full frontal nude photograph of the couple on the cover. The album was eventually wrapped in plain brown paper in record stores.

1969, Led Zeppelin played the first of four nights at the Whisky A Go-Go, Los Angeles during the bands first North American tour. Support group was the Alice Cooper band.

1969, Filming began at Twickenham studios in England of The Beatles rehearsing for the 'Let It Be' album. The project ran into several problems including George Harrison walking out on the group on January 10th.

1971, The George Harrison album 'All Things Must Pass' started a seven week run at No.1 on the US album chart, making Harrison the first solo Beatle to score a US No.1 album.

1971, BBC TV aired the first of a 13-week series, 'Its Cliff Richard' featuring resident guests singer and actress Una Stubbs and Shadows guitarist Hank Marvin.

1974, US country singer, actor and radio presenter Tex Ritter died of a heart attack when he was trying to bail a member of his band from a jail in Nashville. His song 'High Noon' won an Oscar for Best Song in 1952.

1976, Bad Company, Nazareth, Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance, The Pretty Things and Be Bop Deluxe all appeared at the second day of the Great British Music Festival at London’s Olympia. Tickets £3.50 ($5.95).

1979, Sex Pistol's bass player Sid Vicious went on trial in New York accused of murdering his girlfriend Nancy Spungen three months earlier.

1980, US singer Larry Williams was found dead from a gunshot wound to his head in his Los Angeles, California home aged 45. Williams had the 1957 US No.5 & UK No. 21 single 'Short Fat Fannie.' Also known for 'Bony Moronie' and 'Dizzy Miss Lizzy.' The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Dr. Feelgood, Flying Burrito Brothers, Johnny Winter, Little Richard, The Who, Ritchie Valens and Bill Haley & His Comets all covered his songs.

1981, American singer David Lynch of The Platters died of cancer. (1959 UK & US No.1 single 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes').

1981, Abba were enjoying their sixth week at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Super Trouper.'

1985, Rolling Stone Ron Wood married his girlfriend Jo in Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, England. Guests included Keith Richard, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Ringo Starr, Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck.

1988, Michael Jackson and Bono shared first place in an American poll of 'The Most Beautiful Lips.'

1989, Record Mirror published a chart of last years Top UK singles artists. No.1 was Kylie Minogue, No.2, Bros, No.3, Yazz, No.4 Tiffany, No.5, Phil Collins, No.6, Cliff Richard, No.7, Erasure, No.8, Pet Shop Boys, No.9, Belinda Carlisle, and No.10, Wet Wet Wet.

1993, Brett Anderson from Suede was quoted in a Melody Maker interview 'I honestly think lack of sex is vital to my writing process. I don't know if the same goes for Aerosmith.'

1994, Dannii Minogue married Julian McMahon, (the son of Billy McMahon, Australia's Prime Minister during the 1970s), in Melbourne, Australia. Dannii's new mother in law, Lady Sonia McMahon was unhappy with the wedding and was quoted as saying, 'I hope I break a leg so I don't have to go.'

1994, Meat Loaf started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Bat Out Of Hell 2-Back Into Hell.'

1996, Arrested Development announced they had split up. The US group released two albums and scored the US No.1 single 'Tennessee.'

1997, Guitarist Randy California from US group Spirit drowned when rescuing his 12-year old son when he was sucked into a riptide in surf off Hawaii.

1999, Chef went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with Chocolate Salty Balls (PS I Love You). Chef appeared in the cult TV series South Park, the voice was that of Isaac Hayes (who had a hit with Shaft in 1971).

2000, Travis started a six-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'The Man Who.'

2002, Backstreet Boy Nick Carter was arrested in a Tampa, Florida night-club after being involved in a fight. Police said that Carter was arguing with a woman and when they asked him to leave, he continued arguing. He was arrested on a misdemeanour count of resisting a law enforcement officer without violence.

2003, 50 Cent was arrested by police in New York after guns were found in his vehicle, after his SUV was searched when it had been left in a no-parking zone. Police found a .25-calibre handgun and a .45-calibre pistol in the vehicle, officers said both guns were loaded.

2004, Daniel Bedingfield suffered two fractured vertebrae in his neck after the jeep he was driving rolled over and crashed when on holiday in New Zealand. Emergency workers had to cut the singer free before he could be taken to hospital.

2005, Winner of TV talent show, X-Factor Steve Brookstein went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of the 1984 Phil Collins song 'Against All Odds'.

2005, Green Day were at No.1 on the UK album chart with their seventh album 'American Idiot.' The album went on to be nominated for seven Grammy Awards, winning the Best Rock Album of 2005.

2007, Kylie Minogue played the first of two nights at Wembley Arena in London during her re-scheduled Showgirl world tour. The tour was postponed last year after Kylie was diagnosed with breast cancer, for which the singer had since received treatment.

2007, Cristin Keleher who once broke into former Beatle George Harrison's Hawaii home was found dead after an apparent murder-suicide in California, aged 34. She made headlines in December 1999 by entering Harrison's Maui estate and then cooking herself a frozen pizza. Police said her body had been found with that of a 48-year-old man in a car, both had gunshot wounds to their heads.

2007, Gnarls Barkley's song 'Crazy' was confirmed as the biggest selling UK single of 2006 selling over 700,000 copies. The track, which was the first to reach number one on downloads alone, held off the challenge of X-factor winner Leone. Snow Patrol's album 'Eyes Open' topped the album chart with estimated sales of 1.5m while Take That's comeback release 'Beautiful World' came in just behind. Singles sales had doubled to over 65m since the download chart was launched in September 2004.

2008, Josh Groban was America's top selling artist of 2007, the 26-year-old whose hits included ‘You Raise Me Up’, had the best-selling album of the year with the Christmas compilation Noel, which sold close to 3.7m copies. The second biggest seller was the soundtrack for Disney's High School Musical 2. The Eagles were 2007's biggest selling group with sales of 3.58m albums.

2009, According to official US sales figures AC/DC were the biggest sellers of 2008 with over 3.4m sales. To promote the group’s latest album Black Ice, Columbia Records created "Rock Again AC/DC Stores" as well as "Black Ice" trucks which were dispatched on the streets of New York and Los Angeles playing AC/DC music aloud and making various stops each day to sell merchandise.

January 2nd: Born on this day

1936, Born on this day, Roger Miller, singer, guitarist and TV star. (1965 UK No.1 & US No.4 single ‘King Of The Road’). He won four Grammy awards in 1965 including Best Country & Western Album. Roger died of lung cancer on October 25th 1991, aged 56. The Proclaimers had the 1990 UK No.9 hit with their version of 'King Of The Road.'

1942, Born on this day, Chick Churchill, keyboards, Ten Years After, 1970 UK No.10 single 'Love Like A Man.'

1954, Born on this day, Glenn Goins, guitar, vocals, Parliament, Funkadelic. Died 29/7/78. 1978 US No.16 album 'One Nation Under A Groove.'

1957, Born on this day, Ricky Van Shelton, US country singer, scored 10 country No.1s, including duets with Dolly Parton and Brenda Lee.

1963, Born on this day, Keith Gregory, bass, The Wedding Present. During 1992 the UK band released one single every month giving them 12 top 30 hits. Making them the only group ever to score more than 10 new UK hits in one year.

1967, Born on this day, Robert Gregory, drums, Babybird, (1996 UK No.3 single ‘You’re Gorgeous’, 1996 UK No. 9 album ‘Ugly Beautiful’).

1975, Born on this day, Douglas Seann Robb, Hoobastank, 2004 US No.2 hit ‘The Reason.’

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>