Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On This Day(In Music )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 19>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2011 at 14:31
July 27th: Born on this day

1933, Born on this day, Nick Reynolds, The Kingston Trio, (1958 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'Tom Dooley' plus nine other US Top 40 hits).

1943, Born on this day, Al Ramsey, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, (1965 US No.1 single 'This Diamond Ring' plus 11 other US Top 40 hits).

1944, Born on this day, Bobbie Gentry, US singer, songwriter, (1967 US No.1 single 'Ode To Billie Joe', 1969 UK No.1 single 'I'll Never Fall In Love Again').

1947, Born on this day, Andy McMaster, Motors, (1978 UK No.4 single 'Airport').

1949, Born on this day, Maureen McGovern, singer, (1973 US No.1 single 'The Morning After').

1949, Born on this day, Rory MacDonald, bass, vocals, Runrig, (1995 UK No.18 single 'An Ubhal As Airde, The Highest Apple').

1950, Born on this day, Michael Vaughn, guitar, Paper Lace, (1974 UK No.1 single 'Billy Don't Be A Hero', 1974 US No.1 single 'The Night Chicago Died').

1953, Born on this day, Suzi Carr (Will To Power,) singer, 1989 UK No.6 single 'Baby I Love Your Way / Freebird').

1960, Born on this day, Conway Savage, bass, Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, (1996 UK No.36 single with PJ Harvey, 'Henry Lee').

1962, Born on this day, Karl Mueller, bass, Soul Asylum, (1993 US No.5 and UK No.7 single 'Runaway Train').

1964, Born on this day, Rex Brown, bass, Pantera, (1994 UK No.19 single 'I'm Broken').

1967, Born on this day, Juliana Hatfield, US singer, songwriter, (1993 UK No. 71 single 'My Sister').

July 27th: On this Day

1958, Fan's of rock & roll music were warned that tuning into music on the car radio could cost you more money. Researchers from the Esso gas company said the rhythm of rock & roll could cause the driver to be foot heavy on the pedal, making them waste fuel.

1963, During a UK tour The Beatles played the last night of a six night run at The Odeon Cinema, Weston-super-Mare. The Beatles spent the day with photographer Dezo Hoffman, who took photos and 8mm movies of The Beatles at their hotel, on the beach dressed in Victorian bathing suits, and go-karting.

1966, The Who appeared at the Flamingo Ballroom, Redruth, England.

1968, Bee Gee Robin Gibb collapsed, as the group were about to set out on their first US tour. The singer was suffering from nervous exhaustion.

1968, Cass Elliot released her first solo single following the break up of The Mamas and Papas. ’Dream a Little Dream of Me’ had been around since 1931 and had been recorded by Frank Sinatra, Frankie Laine and many others. Cass' version would be the most successful when it peaked at No. 12 on the US chart, and No.11 in the UK.

1974, John Denver started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Annie's Song', the singers second US No.1. The song was a tribute to his wife and was written in 10 minutes while he was on a ski lift.

1974, Wings started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Band On The Run', featuring the title-track, 'Jet' and the US hit 'Helen Wheels'. The album sold over 6 million copies world-wide

1976, After a four-year legal fight, John Lennon was awarded his Green card, allowing him permanent residence in the US.

1976, Bruce Springsteen sued his manager Mike Appel for fraud and breach of trust. The case dragged on for over a year, halting Springsteen's career. An out of court settlement was reached the following year.

1976, Tina Turner filed for divorce from her husband Ike, ending their violent 16-year marriage and successful musical partnership.

1979, Blondie appeared at the Orpheum Theater, Memphis, Tennessee.

1985, Paul Young went to No.1 on the US singles chart with his version of the Daryl Hall song 'Every Time You Go Away'.

1985, The Eurythmics were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)', the duo's only UK No.1 single. The song featured a harmonica solo by Stevie Wonder.

1986, Queen became the first western act since Louis Armstrong in 1964 to perform in Eastern Europe when they played at Budapest's Nepstadion, Hungary, the gig was filmed and released as 'Queen Magic in Budapest'.

1991, Bryan Adams started a seven week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with '(Everything I Do), I Do It For You'.

1991, Jesus Jones went to No. 2 on the US chart with 'Right Here, Right Now', unable to shift Bryan Adams '(Everything I Do), I Do It for You', from a seven week stay at the No.1 position.

1991, Natalie Cole started a five-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Unforgettable Love'.

1992, Michael Jackson sued the British paper The Daily Mirror over photos and an article that said he was left a "scar face" from numerous plastic surgeries. The suit was later settled out of court.

1994, Jeff Buckley and Jewel both appeared at Hahn Cosmopolitian Theatre, San Diego, California.

1996, The Spice Girls scored their first No.1 UK single with 'Wannabe'. Seven weeks at No.1 the song won Best British-Written Single at the 1997 Ivor Novello Awards and Best Single at the 1997 Brit Awards. The Girl Power song became the best-selling single by a female group selling over six million copies worldwide.

1996, Toni Braxton scored her first US No.1 single with 'You're Makin' Me High', a No.7 hit in the UK.

1997, The Soundtrack album 'Men In Black' started a two-week run at No.1 on the US album chart.

2001, Leon Wilkeson bass player with Lynyrd Skynyrd was found dead in a hotel room in Florida aged 49. Skynyrd scored the 1974 US No. 8 single, 'Sweet Home Alabama' and the 1982 UK No.21 single 'Freebird'. Member of the Rossington-Collins Band.

2002, Mariah Carey checked herself into an undisclosed hospital suffering from "extreme exhaustion." The singer cancelled all public appearances, including her headlining appearance at MTV's 20th birthday party. Her record company denied tabloid reports that Carey tried to commit suicide, saying she did have cuts on her body, but the injuries were unintentional after breaking some dishes and glasses.

2006, Sharman Networks, a company that produced software called Kazaa, which made it easy for an estimated 400 million computer users to download music over the Internet, agreed to pay more than $115 million to music companies to settle global piracy lawsuits
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Sponsored Links

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2011 at 13:14
July 28th: Born on this day

1935, Born on this day, Simon Dee (Cyril Nicholas Henty-Dodd), British TV and radio presenter, hosted a twice-weekly chat show 'Dee Time' during the 1960’s, with musical guests including Jimi Hendrix and Lulu.

1938, Born on this day, George Cummings, steel guitar, Dr Hook, (1972 US No.5 & UK No.2 single 'Sylvia's Mother' plus 9 other US Top 40 hits).

1944, Born on this day, Mike Bloomfield, guitarist, member of the Paul Butterfield band and Electric Flag. Played on Dylan's album 'Highway 61 Revisited.' He died on 15th February 1981.

1945, Born on this day, Rick Wright, keyboards, vocals, Pink Floyd, (1973 US No.1 & UK No.2 album 'Dark Side Of The Moon', spent a record breaking 741 weeks on the US chart. 1979 UK and US No.1 single ‘Another Brick In The Wall, (part 2)’. Pink Floyd have sold over 200 million albums worldwide). Wright died on 15th Sept 2008 aged 65 from cancer. Wright appeared on the group's first album, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, in 1967 alongside Syd Barrett, Roger Waters and Nick Mason.

1949, Born on this day, Peter Doyle, singer, The New Seekers, (1972 UK No.1 & US No.7 single 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing'). Doyle died on 13th October 2001.

1949, Born on this day, Simon Kirke, drums, Free, (1971 UK No.2 & US No.4 single 'All Right Now'). Bad Company (1974 UK No.15 single 'Can't Get Enough').

1949, Born on this day, Steve Took, percussion, T Rex, 1971 UK No.1 single 'Hot Love', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles'). Took died on 27th October 1980.

1962, Born on this day, Rachel Sweet, singer, (1978 UK No.35 single 'B-A-B-Y').

1965, Born on this day, Nick Banks, drums, Pulp, (1995 UK No.2 single 'Common People').

1965, Born on this day, Texas Axile, keyboards, Transvision Vamp, (1989 UK No.3 single 'Baby I Don't Care').

1972, Born on this day, Dan Warton, drums, Neds Atomic Dustbin, (1991 UK No.16 single 'Happy').

1980, Born on this day, Noel Sullivan, vocals, Hear'Say, (2001 UK No.1 single 'Pure and Simple').
1986, Born on this day, Jacoby Dakota Shaddix, lead singer with Papa Roach.

1990, Born on this day, DeAndre Cortez Way (Soulja Boy), American rapper. 2007 US No.1 single ‘Crank That (Soulja Boy).'

July 28th: On this Day

1954, The first press interview with 19-year-old Elvis Presley was published in the 'Memphis Press- Scimitar'.

1956, Gene Vincent made his first appearance on national TV in the US on The Perry Como Show. Vincent had released ‘Woman Love’ the previous month, but it was the B-side, ‘Be-Bop-A-Lula,’ that eventually made the top 10. The song had been purchased from a fellow hospital patient when Vincent was recovering from leg injuries. A demo of the song made its way to Capitol Records as part of an Elvis sound-alike contest and a re-recorded version gave Vincent a hit.

1960, Cliff Richard and the Shadows were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Please Don't Tease', the singers third UK No.1. The song was chosen for release by a poll of Cliff's fans.

1964, On their second visit to Sweden, The Beatles played two shows at an ice hockey arena, the Johanneshovs Isstadion, Stockholm. During the first show, both Paul McCartney and John Lennon received mild electrical shocks from ungrounded microphones. Supporting acts included The Kays, The Moonlighters, and The Streaplers.

1966, James Brown appeared at The Apollo Theatre in New York City.

1966, Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the Mick Jagger and Keith Richards song 'Out Of Time'.

1969, Police in Moscow reported that thousands of public phone booths had been vandalised after thieves were stealing parts of the phones to convert their acoustic guitars to electric. A feature in a Russian youth magazine had shown details on how to do this.

1973, Chicago went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Chicago IV', the group's second US No.1.

1973, The Watkins Glen outdoor summer jam was held outside of Watkins Glen, New York with The Allman Brothers, The Grateful Dead and The Band. Over 600,000 rock fans attended. Many historians claimed the event was the largest gathering of people in the history of the United States. 150,000 tickets were sold for $10 each, but for all the other people it was a free concert. The crowd was so huge that a large part of the audience was not able to see the stage.

1979, 'I Don't Like Mondays' gave The Boomtown Rats their second UK No.1 single. Bob Geldof wrote the song after reading a report on the shooting spree of 16-year-old Brenda Ann Spencer, who fired at children playing in a school playground across the street from her home in San Diego, California. She killed two adults and injured eight children and one police officer. Spencer showed no remorse for her crime, and her full explanation for her actions was "I don't like Mondays, this livens up the day."

1980, The Police, U2 and Squeeze all appeared at the Dalymount Festival in Dublin, Ireland.

1982, Queen played the second of two nights at Madison Square Garden, New York City.

1984, Roger Waters played the first of two nights at the Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1990, Elton John started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Sleeping With The Past', his fifth No.1 album.

1990, Partners In Kryme started a four-week run at No.1 with 'Turtle Power' the first rap chart topper in the UK. The one hit wonders track was featured in the film Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

1991, Almost 100 arrests were made after an estimated 2,000 Youths rioted after a MC Hammer concert in Penticon, Canada.

1996, Marge Ganser from The Shangri-Las died of breast cancer. The group scored over ten hits during the 60's including the 1964 US No.1 'Leader Of The Pack.'

2000, Five and Queen were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'We Will Rock You', the classic Queen song was only a B-side in 1977 and this new version featured boy band Five and Queen guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor.

2002, Dave Matthews Band went to No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Busted Stuff.’

2003, The wine Sir Cliff Richard made from his Algarve estate started a UK supermarket battle. Fans were asking all the stores when the wine would go on sale with the Tesco chain saying they would be the first, but the Waitrose shops had been selling the Ł8.49 a bottle red for the last week.

2004, American soul singer George Williams from The Tymes died of cancer. Had the 1963 US million seller ‘So Much in Love’ and the 1975 UK No.1 single 'Ms Grace'.

2004, Justin Timberlake obtained a restraining order against a photographer who allegedly stalked him. A judge in Santa Monica, California, granted the order against photographer Artemus Earl Lister.

2006, Prince's second wife Manuela Testolini Nelson filed for divorce. His first marriage, to dancer Mayte Garcia, took place in 1996 but only lasted two years.

2008, Amy Winehouse was rushed to hospital after she started to have fits at her home in Camden North London. A spokesman said it appeared the singer had suffered a reaction to medication she was taking to help her off hard drugs.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2011 at 13:33
July 29th: Born on this day

1946, Born on this day, Neal Doughty, keyboards, REO Speedwagon, (1981 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Keep On Loving You').

1947, Born on this day, Carlo Santanna, guitar, Paper Lace, (1974 UK No.1 single 'Billy Don't Be A Hero', 1974 US No.1 single 'The Night Chicago Died').

1953, Born on this day, Geddy Lee, bass, vocals, Rush, (1980 UK No.13 single 'Spirit Of Radio' 1982 US No. 21 single 'New World Man'). Lee was made an Officer of the Order of Canada on May 9, 1996. The trio was the first rock band to be so honored, as a group.

1953, Born on this day, Patti Sciafa, US singer, worked with The Rolling Stones and on Keith Richards 'Talk Is Cheap' album. Toured with Bruce Springsteen Band from 1984 Born in the USA tour, married Springsteen on June 8th 1991. She has released two solo albums.

1959, Born on this day, John Sykes, Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, (1987 US No.1 & UK No.9 single 'Here I Go Again'), Tygers Of Pan Tang.

1962, Born on this day, Martin McCarrick, guitar, Therapy? (1993 UK No.9 single 'Screamager').

1966, Born on this day, Miles Hunt, vocals, The Wonder Stuff, TV presenter, (1991 UK No.1 single with Vic Reeves 'Dizzy').

1972, Born on this day, Simon Jones, bass, The Verve, (1997 UK No.1 single 'The Drugs Don't Work').

1973, Born on this day, Wanya Morris, vocals, Boyz II Men, (1992 US & UK No.1 single 'End Of The Road').

July 29th: On this Day

1963, Elvis Presley was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with '(You're The) Devil In Disguise'. His 14th UK No.1.

1963, With the US charts full of Hot Rod songs, Capitol Records sent disc jockeys a list of car terms and phrases to help promote The Beach Boys latest release ‘Little Deuce Coupe’.

1965, The Beatles second feature film 'Help!' had its UK premiere at The Pavilion in London.

1966, Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker made their live debut as Cream at The Twisted Wheel, Manchester, England.

1966, Bob Dylan suffered a broken neck vertebra when he crashed his Triumph 55 motorbike near his home in Woodstock, New York.

1966, Datebook published Maureen Cleave’s interview with John Lennon in which he said ‘We’re bigger than Jesus now.” American Christian’s reacted with outrage, organising ‘Beatle bonfires’ burning the group's records.

1966, The Grateful Dead played their first ever show outside the US when they appeared in Vancouver.

1967, The Doors started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Light My Fire'. The group's first US No.1, it only reached No.49 on the UK chart. Re- issued in 1991 when it made No.7 in the UK.

1967, The International Love-In Festival took place at Alexandra Palace London with Pink Floyd, Brian Auger Trinity with Julie Driscoll, The Animals, Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, Tomorrow, Blossom Toes, Creation, The Nervous System and Apostolic Intervention.

1968, Gram Parsons left The Byrds on the eve of a tour of South Africa, refusing to play to segregated audiences.

1968, The first recording session of The Beatles seven-minute epic 'Hey Jude' took place at Abbey Road studios London. The Paul McCartney song was written about John Lennon's son Julian.

1972, Screaming Lord Sutch was arrested in London after jumping from a bus in Downing Street with four nude women. Sutch was publicising his forthcoming London gigs.

1972, Gilbert O'Sullivan started a five week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Alone Again, (Naturally)'. His only US No.1, the follow up 'Clair' peaked at No.2.

1973, Led Zeppelin lost $203,000 in cash when a thief made off with their safe deposit box from two Madison Square Garden concerts in New York City. The theft took place at The Drake Hotel in New York where the group were staying. Tour manager Richard Cole who discovered the theft was arrested as a suspect and questioned by police but was later released.

1974, Mamas And The Papas singer Cass Elliot died in her sleep from a heart attack after playing a sold out show in London, England. She was staying at Harry Nilson's London flat when she died. Her only solo hit was 'Dream a Little Dream of Me,' which also featured the rest of The Mamas and The Papas. Had also been a member of The Mugwumps.

1976, Eric Clapton kicked off a 12-date UK tour at The Pavilion, Hemel Hempsted, London.

1978, Prince appeared on the US charts for the first time with 'Soft and Wet'

1978, The film soundtrack to Grease featuring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John went to No.1 on the US album chart.

1980, David Bowie starred in the stage play of the Elephant Man, in Denver, Colorado.

1981, On the day of the wedding between Prince Charles and Lady Diana, a bunch of records were released relating to the event, 'Lady D', by Typically Tropical, 'Charlies Angles', by Mini & The Metros and 'Diana', from Mike Berry. They all failed to reach the charts.

1982, The Asgard Hotel in Dublin owned by Thin Lizzy's Phil Lynott was completely destroyed by fire.

1986, English songwriter, producer and manager Gordon Mills died of stomach cancer. Worked with Engelbert Humperdinck, Tom Jones and Gilbert O'Sullivan. Wrote the 1963 No.4 UK hit ‘I'll Never Get Over You’, for Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, and ‘I'm The Lonely One’ a hit for Cliff Richard.

1987, Michigan state governor James Blanchard declared an annual state wide 'Four Tops Day', honouring the group for its contribution to American music.

1988, American record producer and pedal steel guitar player Pete Drake died of lung disease. Worked with Elvis Presley, George Harrison and Ringo Starr. Played on such hits as Lynn Anderson's ‘Rose Garden’, Charlie Rich's ‘Behind Closed Doors', Bob Dylan's ‘Lay Lady Lay' and Tammy Wynette's ‘Stand by Your Man’.

1989, The Stone Roses played to a sold out crowd of 6,000 fans at The Empress Ballroom, Blackpool.

1990, Elton John checked into a Chicago clinic to cure bulimia and an addiction problem, taking over a year off from touring and recording.

1991, During their Use Your Illusion Tour, Guns n' Roses played the first of four nights at the Great Western Forum in Inglewood, California.

1994, David Gilmour married Polly Samson at Marylebone Registry Office, London England.

2001, Atomic Kitten started a two week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of the 1989 Bangles hit 'Eternal Flame.'

2001, Destiny's Child started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Bootylicious'.

2003, The chairman of the Professional Association of Teachers Jim O'Neill warned that children were being put under pressure to grow up too soon by pop stars who use a sexy image. "Kylie Minogue might be a great singer but in many of these things you can see more of her bottom than you hear of her voice," said Mr O'Neill.

2004, keyboard player Huby Heard died from heart problems. Member of Billy Preston's, The God Squad, and worked with Teddy Pendergrass, Ray Charles, Little Bootsy Collins, The Brothers Johnson, The Rolling Stones and Bill Wyman.

2006, Primal Scream singer Bobby Gillespie married his girlfriend Katy England at a service in Staffordshire, England.

2006, Pamela Anderson married for the second time to US rapper Kid Rock, on a yacht off the French resort of St Tropez. The 39-year-old former Baywatch star divorced from rock star Tommy Lee in 1998, had recently got back together with Kid Rock, after a brief engagement ended in 2003. Anderson and Rock split after four months of marriage.

2007, Heart problems forced Kiss singer and guitarist Paul Stanley to abandon a show in California. Paramedics stopped and restarted his heart to give it a regular rhythm after his heart spontaneously jumped to 190 plus beats per minute.

2007, Timbaland feat Keri Hilson started a two week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Way I Are', released as the second single from his second album, Timbaland Presents Shock Value.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2011 at 20:10
July 30th: Born on this day

1941, Born on this day, Paul Anka, singer, (1957 UK & US No.1 single 'Diana'. The single sold over 9 million copies world- wide). Wrote many classic songs including: 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore', 'Puppy Love' and the lyrics to 'My Way.'

1945, Born on this day, David Sanborn, saxophone, US session player, worked with Stevie Wonder, James Taylor, David Bowie.

1946, Born on this day, Jeffrey Hammond Hammond, bass, Jethro Tull, (1969 UK No.3 & UK No.11 single 'Living In The Past').

1949, Born on this day, Andy Scott, guitar, Sweet, (1973 UK No.1 single 'Blockbuster', plus 14 other UK Top 40 singles). Sweet scored four top-ten hits in the US: Little Willy, Ballroom Blitz, Fox On The Run, and Love Is Like Oxygen.

1949, Born on this day, Joyce Jones, singer, First Choice, (1973 UK No.9 single 'Smarty Pants).

1949, Born on this day, Hugh Nicholson, Marmalade, (1969 UK No.1 single 'Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da'').

1956, Born on this day, Phil Phearon, vocals, Galaxy, (1983 UK No.4 single 'Dancing Night').

1957, Born on this day, Chris Miller (Rat Scabies), drums, The Damned, (1986 UK No.3 single 'Eloise').

1958, Born on this day, Kate Bush, UK singer, songwriter, (1978 UK No.1 single 'Wuthering Heights' plus over 20 other UK Top singles. Her 1985 UK No.1 album 'Hounds Of Love' spent 52 weeks on the chart).

1959, Born on this day, Vaughan Toulouse, Dept S. He died from an Aids related illness in 1991, Dept S had the 1981 UK No.22 single 'Is Vic There'.

1966, Born on this day, Craig Gannon, The Bluebells, (1993 UK No.1 single with the re-issued 'Young At Heart',)

1966, Born on this day, Jyoti Mishra, White Town, (1997 UK No.1 single 'Your Woman').

1968, Born on this day, Louise Wener, vocals, Sleeper, (1996 UK No.10 single 'Sale Of The Century').

1968, Born on this day, Sean Moore, drums, Manic Street Preachers, (1996 UK No.2 single 'A Design For Life' 1998 UK No.1 album 'This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours').

1972, Born on this day, Brad Hargraves, Third Eye Blind, (1997 US No.4 & UK No. 33 single 'Semi- Charmed Life').

1979, Born on this day, Ian Watkins, singer, Lostprophets, (2004 UK No.8 single ‘Last Train Home’, 2006 UK No.1 album ‘Liberation Transmission’).

July 30th: On this Day

1954, Slim Whitman, Billy Walker, Sugarfoot Collins, Sonny Harvelle, Tinker Fry, Curly Harris and a young Elvis Presley, all appeared at the Hillbilly Hoedown, Overton Park Shell, in Memphis Tennessee. Elvis was so nervous he stood up on the balls of his feet and shook his leg in time with the music, when he came offstage he asked why people were yelling at him. Someone told him it was because he was shaking his leg, which with the baggy pleated pants created a wild gyrating effect in time with the music.

1960, The Elvis Presley album 'Elvis is Back' was at No.1 on the UK chart.

1963, The Rolling Stones appeared at The Ricky Tick Club, Windsor, Berkshire, England.

1966, The Beatles started a five week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Yesterday...And Today', the group's 8th No.1 album.

1966, The Troggs started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Wild Thing'.

1967, The Who appeared at the Miami Beach Convention Hall, Miami, Florida.

1968, The Beatles closed their Apple Boutique in London after seven months of business, giving away all the stock to passers by and Apple staff.

1969, The Beatles continued working on their forthcoming album Abbey Road, recording overdubs on ‘Come Together’, ‘Polythene Pam/She Came In Through the Bathroom Window’, ‘You Never Give Me Your Money’ and ‘Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight’. The Beatles began to assemble the "medley" that would make up side two of the album. Paul McCartney told tape operator John Kurlander to discard ‘Her Majesty’, but Kurlander tacked it onto the end of the tape, about 20 seconds after the end of ‘The End’. Hearing it like this, Paul decides to keep it, including the lengthy silence preceding it.

1973, Gary Glitter was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I'm The leader Of The Gang (I Am), the singers first of three No.1's.

1974, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band played The Troubadour in Los Angeles, California on a double bill with Roger McGuinn from The Byrds.

1977, The Bee Gees younger brother Andy Gibb started a four-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Just Wanna Be Your Everything', his first of three US No.1's, it peaked at No.26 in the UK.

1978, Glen Goine, singer and guitarist with Parliament Funkadelic died from Hodgkin's Lymphoma aged 24. Had the 1978 US No.16 album 'One Nation Under A Groove'.

1978, Fleetwood Mac and Steve Miller Band appeared at the JFK Stadium, Philadelphia.

1986, Boy George was fined ÂŁ250 by a London court for possession of heroin.

1986, Variety magazine reported that RCA had dropped John Denver from its roster after the release of his single, ‘What Are We Making Weapons For’. Variety said the song upset the record company's new owner, General Electric, one of the largest defense contractors in the US.

1987, David Bowie kicked of the North American leg of The Glass Spider Tour at the Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

1988, Gary Glitter appeared in a full-page ad in the NME pictured holding a very large tub of skin rejuvenating cream. The heading being 'The things people do to keep hold of their young persons Railcard'.

1988, Steve Winwood started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Roll With It', a No.53 hit in the UK.

1991, A police officer was forced to tear up a traffic ticket given to the limousine that Axl Rose was travelling in after it made an illegal turn. Rose threatened to pull that nights Guns N' Roses gig if the ticket was issued.

1993, Founder member and original bassist for The Wonder Stuff, Rob Jones died in New York aged 29. Vic Reeves and The Wonder Stuff had the 1991 UK No.1 with 'Dizzy', (a No.1 for Tommy Roe in 1969).

1994, Rage Against The Machine, Bjork, Blur, Manic Street Preachers, Del Amitri, Primal Scream, Crowded House, Oasis and Aimee Mann all appeared at this year’s two-day T In The Park festival in Scotland.

1995, R.E.M. Sleeper, The Cranberries and Radiohead all appeared at the National Bowl, Milton Keynes, England.

1997, A judge in Los Angeles ruled that Michael Jackson and members of his family were not liable for losses incurred by the producers of the failed 1994 Jackson Family Honors TV special. The show was delayed for several weeks because Jackson was ill and could not perform solo as expected.

1998, Jamiroquai were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Deeper Underground', the first single from the album Synkronized. It was included in the soundtrack of the movie Godzilla.

2003, Sam Phillips the founder of Sun Records and studio died of respiratory failure at St. Francis Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. In the 1940s, Phillips worked as a DJ for Muscle Shoals, Alabama radio station WLAY. Phillips recorded what some consider to be the first rock and roll record, ‘Rocket 88’ by Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats in 1951. He discovered Elvis Presley, worked with Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Ike Turner, B.B. King and Jerry Lee Lewis.

2003, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Rush, The Guess Who, Justin Timberlake, The Flaming Lips, Sass Jordan and The Isley Brothers played a benefit concert in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, to prove that the city is safe from SARS. With 450,000 spectators, it was the largest concert in Canadian history.

2005, A new book published to mark the 35th anniversary of the death of Jimi Hendrix claimed the guitarist pretended to be gay so he would be discharged from the army. “Room Full of Mirrors” by Charles Cross said army records showed Hendrix was discharged from the 101st Airborne Division aged 19 in 1962 for "homosexual tendencies."

2006, Shakira feat Wyclef Jean started a four week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with ‘Hips Don't Lie.’ A remake of Wyclef Jean's 2004 song 'Dance Like This', the song went on to top the charts in over 50 countries. The song is the biggest selling single of the 21st century by a female artist worldwide.

2006, British gay magazine ‘Attitude’ listed the ‘Top 10 Gay Albums’ of all time. No.1 was Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters, 2, Arrival – Abba, 3, Vauxhall and I – Morrissey, 4, Light Years - Kylie Minogue, 5, Older - George Michael, 6, Welcome To The Pleasuredome - Frankie Goes to Hollywood, 7, Erotica – Madonna, 8, I Am a Bird Now - Antony and the Johnsons, 9, Bad Girls - Donna Summer and No. 10 The Man Who Sold the World - David Bowie.

2007, A man admitted bootlegging charges after hearing evidence from Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page. Robert Langley, 57, from Buckingham, originally denied three trademark and two copyright infringements after being caught at a record fair in Glasgow. The seizure of CDs and DVDs two years ago included ÂŁ11,500 of counterfeit Led Zeppelin material.

2009, Procol Harum organist Matthew Fisher won his long battle to be recognised as co-writer of the band's hit ‘Whiter Shade of Pale.’ Law Lords ruled that Fisher, who claimed he wrote the song's organ melody, was entitled to a share of future royalties. In 2006, the High Court ruled he was entitled to 40% of the copyright, but the Court Of Appeal overturned the ruling in 2008 saying he waited too long, 38 years, to bring the case to court.
1973, Gary Glitter was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I'm The leader Of The Gang (I Am), the singers first of three No.1's.

1974, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band played The Troubadour in Los Angeles, California on a double bill with Roger McGuinn from The Byrds.

1977, The Bee Gees younger brother Andy Gibb started a four-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Just Wanna Be Your Everything', his first of three US No.1's, it peaked at No.26 in the UK.

1978, Glen Goine, singer and guitarist with Parliament Funkadelic died from Hodgkin's Lymphoma aged 24. Had the 1978 US No.16 album 'One Nation Under A Groove'.

1978, Fleetwood Mac and Steve Miller Band appeared at the JFK Stadium, Philadelphia.

1986, Boy George was fined ÂŁ250 by a London court for possession of heroin.

1986, Variety magazine reported that RCA had dropped John Denver from its roster after the release of his single, ‘What Are We Making Weapons For’. Variety said the song upset the record company's new owner, General Electric, one of the largest defense contractors in the US.

1987, David Bowie kicked of the North American leg of The Glass Spider Tour at the Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

1988, Gary Glitter appeared in a full-page ad in the NME pictured holding a very large tub of skin rejuvenating cream. The heading being 'The things people do to keep hold of their young persons Railcard'.

1988, Steve Winwood started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Roll With It', a No.53 hit in the UK.

1991, A police officer was forced to tear up a traffic ticket given to the limousine that Axl Rose was travelling in after it made an illegal turn. Rose threatened to pull that nights Guns N' Roses gig if the ticket was issued.

1993, Founder member and original bassist for The Wonder Stuff, Rob Jones died in New York aged 29. Vic Reeves and The Wonder Stuff had the 1991 UK No.1 with 'Dizzy', (a No.1 for Tommy Roe in 1969).

1994, Rage Against The Machine, Bjork, Blur, Manic Street Preachers, Del Amitri, Primal Scream, Crowded House, Oasis and Aimee Mann all appeared at this year’s two-day T In The Park festival in Scotland.

1995, R.E.M. Sleeper, The Cranberries and Radiohead all appeared at the National Bowl, Milton Keynes, England.

1997, A judge in Los Angeles ruled that Michael Jackson and members of his family were not liable for losses incurred by the producers of the failed 1994 Jackson Family Honors TV special. The show was delayed for several weeks because Jackson was ill and could not perform solo as expected.

1998, Jamiroquai were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Deeper Underground', the first single from the album Synkronized. It was included in the soundtrack of the movie Godzilla.

2003, Sam Phillips the founder of Sun Records and studio died of respiratory failure at St. Francis Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. In the 1940s, Phillips worked as a DJ for Muscle Shoals, Alabama radio station WLAY. Phillips recorded what some consider to be the first rock and roll record, ‘Rocket 88’ by Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats in 1951. He discovered Elvis Presley, worked with Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Ike Turner, B.B. King and Jerry Lee Lewis.

2003, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Rush, The Guess Who, Justin Timberlake, The Flaming Lips, Sass Jordan and The Isley Brothers played a benefit concert in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, to prove that the city is safe from SARS. With 450,000 spectators, it was the largest concert in Canadian history.

2005, A new book published to mark the 35th anniversary of the death of Jimi Hendrix claimed the guitarist pretended to be gay so he would be discharged from the army. “Room Full of Mirrors” by Charles Cross said army records showed Hendrix was discharged from the 101st Airborne Division aged 19 in 1962 for "homosexual tendencies."

2006, Shakira feat Wyclef Jean started a four week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with ‘Hips Don't Lie.’ A remake of Wyclef Jean's 2004 song 'Dance Like This', the song went on to top the charts in over 50 countries. The song is the biggest selling single of the 21st century by a female artist worldwide.

2006, British gay magazine ‘Attitude’ listed the ‘Top 10 Gay Albums’ of all time. No.1 was Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters, 2, Arrival – Abba, 3, Vauxhall and I – Morrissey, 4, Light Years - Kylie Minogue, 5, Older - George Michael, 6, Welcome To The Pleasuredome - Frankie Goes to Hollywood, 7, Erotica – Madonna, 8, I Am a Bird Now - Antony and the Johnsons, 9, Bad Girls - Donna Summer and No. 10 The Man Who Sold the World - David Bowie.

2007, A man admitted bootlegging charges after hearing evidence from Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page. Robert Langley, 57, from Buckingham, originally denied three trademark and two copyright infringements after being caught at a record fair in Glasgow. The seizure of CDs and DVDs two years ago included ÂŁ11,500 of counterfeit Led Zeppelin material.

2009, Procol Harum organist Matthew Fisher won his long battle to be recognised as co-writer of the band's hit ‘Whiter Shade of Pale.’ Law Lords ruled that Fisher, who claimed he wrote the song's organ melody, was entitled to a share of future royalties. In 2006, the High Court ruled he was entitled to 40% of the copyright, but the Court Of Appeal overturned the ruling in 2008 saying he waited too long, 38 years, to bring the case to court.

Edited by monarch - 30-July-2011 at 20:21
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2011 at 09:41
July 31st: Born on this day

1946, Born on this day, Gary Lewis singer, (1965 US No.1 single with The Playboys, 'This Diamond Ring' plus 11 other US Top 40 hits).

1947, Born on this day, Karl Green, guitar, Herman's Hermits, (1964 UK No.1 single 'I'm Into Something Good', 1965 US No.1 single 'Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter').

1951, Born on this day, Carlo Karges, Nena, (1984 UK No.1 & US No.2 single '99 Red Balloons').

1953, Born on this day, Hugh McDowell, cello, Electric Light Orchestra, (1979 UK No.3 & US No.4 single 'Don't Bring Me Down', plus 26 other Top 40 hits)

1957, Born on this day, Daniel Ash, Bauhaus, (1982 UK No.15 single 'Ziggy Stardust'), Love & Rockets and solo.

1958, Born on this day, Bill Berry, drums, R.E.M. (1991 UK No.6 & US No.10 single 'Shiny Happy People', plus over 20 Top 40 UK singles, 1992 UK No.1 & US No.2 album 'Automatic For The People'). Berry quit the band in 1997.

1960, Born on this day, Malcolm Ross, Aztec Camera, (1988 UK No.3 single 'Somewhere In My Heart').

1963, Born on this day, Norman Cook, Housemartins, (1986 UK No.1 single 'Caravan Of Love'), Beats International, (1990 UK No.1 'Dub Be Good To Me'), Freak Power, ('Turn On Tune In Cop Out'), aka, Pizzaman, Fatboy Slim, (1999 UK No.1 single 'Praise You').

1964, Born on this day, Jim Corr, guitar, keyboards, vocals, The Corrs, (1998 UK No.3 single 'What Can I Do'. 'Talk On Corners' was the best selling UK album of 1998 spending 142 weeks on the UK chart).

1964, Born on this day, Robert Townsend, Pop Will Eat Itself, (1991 UK No.15 single 'X Y & Zee').

1971, Born on this day, John Lowery, guitar, Marilyn Manson, (1998 US No.1 album, 'Mechanical Animals', UK No. 12 single, 'The Dope Show').

1978, Born on this day, Will Champion, drums, Coldplay, (2000 UK No.4 single 'Yellow', 2000 UK No.1 album 'Parachutes' and the 2005 worldwide No.1 album ‘X&Y').

July 31st: On this Day

1959, Cliff Richard was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Living Doll.' The singers first of 14 UK No.1's. The song was one of three from the film, Serious Charge.

1964, Country singer Jim Reeves was killed in a plane crash when the single engine aircraft flying from Arkansas to Nashville crashed in thick fog. 41 year- old Reeves was the first country singer to cross- over into the pop market. (1960 US No.2 single 'He'll Have To Go', 1966 UK No.1 single 'Distant Drums').

1965, The Who appeared at the Wilton Hall, Bletchley, England.

1966, The Doors appeared at The Fifth Estate, Phoenix, Arizona.

1967, Mick Jagger was given a conditional discharge and Keith Richard’s conviction for permitting his house to be used for the purpose of smoking cannabis resin was quashed by appeal court.

1968, Tommy James and The Shondells were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Mony Mony'. Also a hit for Billy Idol in 1987.

1968, Working at Trident studios in London, England, (with its 8-track equipment, EMI was still using 4-track recorders), The Beatles recorded four takes of ‘Hey Jude’.

1969, Elvis Presley kicked off a four week run at the Las Vegas International Hotel, (his first live show since 1961). He reportedly netted $1.5m for the shows. On the menu an Elvis special, polk salad with corn muffins & honey.

1971, James Taylor went to No.1 on the US singles chart with the Carole King song 'You Got A Friend'. The song would go on to win the 1971 Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal Performance, Male. Taylor scored nine other solo US Top 40 hits during the 70's.

1971, A security guard was stabbed to death during a concert by The Who at New York's Forest Hill Stadium.

1976, George Benson started a two-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Breezin'.

1979, AC/DC appeared at The Allen County War Memorial Coliseum, Fort Wayne, Indiana on their If You Want Blood Tour.

1980, Jon Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas was apprehended by FBI narcotics agents for possession of cocaine, he was later sentenced to 250 hours Community service giving anti-drug lectures.

1980, During An Eagles concert at Long Beach, California, tempers boiled over between Glen Frey and Don Henley, who spent the entire show describing to each other the beating each planned to administer backstage. "Only three more songs until I kick your ass, pal," Frey told Henley. The group’s next album was mixed by Frey and Henley on opposite coasts after the two decided they couldn't bear to be in the same state, let alone the same studio.

1985, The Eurythmics had the No.1 position on the UK singles chart with 'There Must Be An Angel, (Playing With My Heart); Paul Young had the US No.1 with 'Everytime You Go Away'.

1991, Bryan Adams was enjoying his third week at No.1 on the UK singles chart with '(Everything I Do) I Do It For You'. The single stayed a No.1 for a record-breaking sixteen weeks.

1992, Michael Jackson made an unscheduled appearance on his hotel balcony in London after a man had threatened to jump from an apartment building across the street. 28 year-old Eric Herminie told police he would leap to his death if he didn't see Jackson, who was in Britain for a series of concerts. Jackson spent a couple of minutes waving to Herminie, who then climbed back into the building.

1994, Aaliyah and R. Kelly secretly married at the Sheraton Gateway Suites, Rosemont, IL. Aaliyah never admitted being married, though Vibe published a copy of the marriage certificate. Unfortunately, she was only 15 at the time, so thus the marriage was later annulled.

1999, Christina Aguilera scored her first US No.1 single with 'Genie In A Bottle', also No.1 in the UK. The song spent 5 weeks at No.1 on the US chart and won Aguilera the Best New Artist Grammy for the year.

1999, Wu-Tang Clan member Ol Dirty Bastard, (real name Russell Jones) was arrested for crack and marijuana possession in New York after being stopped by police during a routine traffic offence.

2000, Eighties pop maestro Mike Stock was declared bankrupt. Mike who was one third of 80's hit factory Stock, Aitken and Waterman had been involved in several court battles over copyright issues.

2001, BBC producer John Walters died aged 63. Walters produced and worked with Radio 1 DJ John Peel. Peel teamed up with Walters to broadcast some of the most groundbreaking music of an era. He joined the BBC in 1967, and became producer on John Peel's Top Gear show two years later. Walters played the trumpet with the Alan Price Set in the 1960's.

2002, The son of Bryan Ferry was arrested by armed police outside the UK prime minister's County Durham home as he tried to stage a demonstration. Otis Ferry went through security gates and was arrested when he refused to give his name. He was trying to place posters supporting animal hunts on the walls of Mr Blair's house.

2004, Mark Morrison was arrested after a fracas at Leicester's After Dark night-club in which his platinum and diamond medallion was stolen. Morrison said he was the victim and complained of wrongful arrest, unlawful imprisonment and police assault. A ÂŁ20,000 reward for the return of the pendant was offered by the singer's record label
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2011 at 13:11
I tried to post on this thread yesterday but it was rejected.

August 2nd: Born on this day

1937, Born on this day, Garth Hudson, Organ, The Band, (1969 US No.25 single 'Up On Cripple Creek', 1970 UK No.16 single 'Rag Mama Rag').

1939, Born on this day, Edward Patten, vocals, The Pips, (1973 US No.1 single 'Midnight Train To Georgia', 1975 UK No.4 single with Gladys Knight 'The Way We Were').

1941, Born on this day, Doris Coley, vocals, The Shirelles, (1961 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow'). She died on 5th February 2000.

1941, Born on this day, Andrew Malcolm, The Herd, (1968 UK No.5 single 'I Don't Want Our Loving To Die').

1949, Born on this day, Fat Larry, singer, Fat Larry's Band, (1982 UK No.2 single 'Zoom'). He died on 5th February 2000.

1951, Born on this day, Andrew Gold, singer, songwriter, solo, (1977 US No.7 single 'Lonely Boy', 1978 UK No.5 single 'Never Let Her Slip Away'), Wax, (1987 UK No.12 single 'Bridge To Your Heart'). Gold died in his sleep on June 3, 2011 from a heart attack age 59.

1951, Born on this day, Joe Lynn Turner, singer, Rainbow, Deep Purple.

1953, Born on this day, Donnie Monro, Runrig, (1995 UK No.18 single 'An Ubhal As Airde, The Highest Apple').

1957, Born on this day, Mojo Nixon, US singer, guitarist. Wrote the song 'Bring Me The Head Of David Geffen'.

1957, Born on this day, Butch Vig, record producer and the drummer with Garbage, (1996 UK No. 4 single 'Stupid Girl'). Produced Sonic Youth, The Smashing Pumpkins' Gish and Nirvana's Nevermind album.

1961, Born on this day, Pete De Freitas, drums, Echo And The Bunnymen, (died in a motorbike accident. 1983 UK No.8 single 'The Cutter').

1962, Born on this day, Lee Mavers, guitar, Vocals, The La's, (1990 UK No.13 single 'There She Goes').

1965, Born on this day, Al MaCaulay, drums, Tindersticks, (1993 album 'Tindersticks').

1970, Born on this day, Zelma Davis, C & C Music Factory, (1991 UK No.4 single 'Things That Make You Go Hmmm... ,1991 US No.1 single 'Gonna Make You Sweat').

August 2nd: On this Day

1957, The official Elvis Presley Fan Club was launched in the UK.

1960, Johnny Kidd and The Pirates were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Shakin' All Over'. Their only UK No.1. Kidd died in car crash in 1966.

1962, Singer songwriter Robert Allen Zimmerman legally changed his name to Robert Dylan.

1964, The Beatles appeared at the Gaumont Cinema in Bournemouth. One of the supporting acts, billed as a ‘new and unknown London group’, was The Kinks.

1969, 'Wet Dream', by Max Romeo entered the UK singles chart with a ban on the title by the BBC it made No.10 without any airplay.

1970, Elvis Presley was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of 'The Wonder Of You' his sixteenth No.1. Ray Peterson recorded the original version in 1959 which gave him a Top 30 hit.

1971, Creedence Clearwater Revival kicked off a 10 date US tour at the Assembly Centre, Tulsa.

1972, Brian Cole bass player with The Association died of a heroin overdose in Los Angeles, California at the age of 29. Had the 1967 US No.1 single 'Windy'.

1973, The Mamas and the Papas filed a lawsuit against their record label Dunhill for over a million dollars in unpaid royalties.

1975, The Eagles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'One Of These Nights', the group's second US No.1 single and the first to chart in the UK where it peaked at No.23.

1976, Peter "Puddy" Watts, road manager with Pink Floyd died of a heroin overdose. Watts supplied the crazed laughter on the groups ‘Dark Side Of The Moon’ album.

1977, Sex Pistol, Sid Vicious was fined ÂŁ125 by a London court after he had been found carrying a knife at the 100 Club Punk Festival last September.

1980, Deep Purple scored their third UK No.1 album with 'Deepest Purple'.

1980, The Clash released their single 'Bank Robber' after it been available as an import only. The band's record company CBS didn't want to release the record saying it was not commercial enough.

1983, James Jamerson died of complications stemming from cirrhosis of the liver, heart failure and pneumonia in Los Angeles, he was 47 years old. As one of The Funk Brothers he was the uncredited bassist on most of Motown Records' hits in the 1960s and early 1970s including songs by Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, Martha and the Vandellas, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops and The Supremes. He eventually performed on nearly 30 No.1 pop hits.

1986, Peter Cetera started a two-week run at No.1 on the US charts with the theme from the film 'Karate Kid II', 'The Glory Of Love', it made No. 3 in the UK.

1986, Chris de burgh was at No.1 in the UK with 'The Lady In Red', it was his first No.1 after twenty-four single releases, staying at the top of the charts for three weeks.

1987, Alex Sadkin, record producer who had worked with Simply Red Duran Duran, Grace Jones and Bob Marley died from injuries sustained in a car crash in Miami.

1987, David Martin, bass player with Sam The Sham & the Pharaohs died of a heart attack aged 50. Martin co-wrote the group’s 1965 US No.2 & UK No.11 single 'Wooly Bully'.

1987, On tour in the Soviet Union Billy Joel appeared at the Lenin Sports and Concert Complex, in Leningrad.

1991, Rick James and his girlfriend Tanya Hijazi were arrested in Hollywood charged with assault with a deadly weapon aggravated mayhem torture, false imprisonment and forcible oral copulation. James was released on $1 million bail.

1997, Sarah McLachlan entered the US album chart at No.2 with ‘Surfacing’, the singer songwriter also won two Grammys for the album.

1998, Mojo Magazine published the results from a nation-wide survey asking 'Who is your favourite recording artist of all time: 5th place was Elton John 4th, Queen, 3rd, Frank Sinatra, 2nd, Elvis Presley and in 1st place, The Beatles.

1998, Beastie Boys started a three week run at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Hello Nasty’, the bands third US No.1 album.

2000, Jerome Smith from KC and the Sunshine Band died after being crushed by a bulldozer he was operating. Had the 1975 US No.1 single 'Get Down Tonight' and the 1983 UK No.1 single 'Give It Up.'

2000, Liverpool music store Rushworth and Dreaper closed down after 150 years of trading. The store had become famous after supplying The Beatles and other Liverpool group's with musical instruments.

2001, New Orleans International Airport was re-named Louis Armstrong Airport in honour of the New Orleans born trumpet player, singer and bandleader.

2001, Ron Townson of The 5th Dimension died of heart failure at the age of 68. Had the 1969 US No.1 & UK No.11 single 'Aquarius'.

2004, Eric Clapton bought a 50% share in Cordings to save the historic gentleman's outfitters from closure. The store, based in London since 1839 had run into financial difficulties. The guitarist said he had been fond of the shop since a window display caught his eye when he was 16, and had become a regular shopper their. Cordings was the originator of the Covert coat and the Tattersall shirt and made riding boots for the Queen Mother, the Duke of Windsor and Mrs Simpson.

2005, Status Quo filmed a cameo appearance in UK's Coronation Street playing themselves. Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt were set to appear in three episodes of the long-running ITV soap.

2005, Brandon Flowers from The Killers married Tana Munblowsky in a private ceremony held in Hawaii.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2011 at 14:05
August 3rd: Born on this day

1926, Born on this day, Tony Bennett, American singer, (1955 UK No.1 single 'Stranger In Paradise'1965 UK No.25 single 'I Left My Heart In San Francisco').

1935, Born on this day, Gordon Stoker, The Jordanaires, Elvis Presley backing group.

1939, Born on this day, Jimmy Nicol, drummer, temporary member of The Beatles for nine Australian gigs in 1964, after Ringo Starr collapsed and was hospitalised on 3 June 1964 with tonsillitis. George Martin suggested Nicol, as he had recently played on a budget label album called "Beatlemania" and knew the songs.

1941, Born on this day, Beverly Lee, The Shirelles, (1961 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow')

1946, Born on this day, John York, The Byrds, (1965 UK & US No.1 single 'Mr Tambourine Man')

1949, Born on this day, B.B. Dickerson, War, (1976 UK No.12 single 'Low Rider').

1951, Born on this day, John Graham, guitar, Earth Wind and Fire, (1975 US No.1 single 'Shining Star', 1981 UK No.3 single 'Let's Groove')

1953, Born on this day, Ian Brainson, Pilot, (1975 UK No.1 single 'January').

1956, Born on this day, Kirk Brandon, singer, guitarist, Spear Of Destiny, (1987 UK No.14 single 'Never Take Me Alive'), Theatre Of Hate, (1982 UK No.40 single 'Do You Believe In The Westworld').

1958, Born on this day, Robert buck, 10,000 Maniacs, (1993 UK No.47 single 'Candy Everybody Wants'). Buck died on 19th December 2000.

1959, Born on this day, Martin Atkins, Public Image Ltd, (1983 UK No.5 single 'This Is Not A Love Song').

1963, Born on this day, James Hetfield, guitar, vocals, Metallica, (1991 UK No.5 single 'Enter Sandman', 1991 US & UK No.1 album 'Metallica').

1966, Born on this day, Shirley Manson, vocals, Garbage, (1996 UK No. 4 single 'Stupid Girl').

1966, Born on this day, Dean Sams, keyboards, Lonestar, (2000 US No.1 & UK No. 21 single ‘Amazed’).

1967, Born on this day, Skin, (Deborah Anne Dyer), vocals, Skunk Anansie vocals, (1996 UK No.20 single 'Weak').

1971, Born on this day, Deirdre Roper, Spinderella, Salt-n-Pepa, (1991 UK No.2 single 'Let's Talk About Sex').

1973, Born on this day, Stephen Carpenter, Deftones (2003 US No.2 & UK No.7 album ‘Deftones’).

1985, Born on this day, Holly Lake, Dream, (2001 US No.3 & UK No.17 single, 'He Loves You Not').

August 3rd: On this Day

1961, Eden Kane was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with Well I Ask You. His only UK No.1 hit.

1963, The Tymes went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'So Much in Love' it made No.21 on the UK chart

1963, The Beatles played their last ever performance at the Cavern Club in Liverpool. The Beatles, whose fee for their first performance at the Cavern had been ÂŁ5, received a fee of ÂŁ300 for this performance.

1963, The Beach Boys released ‘Surfer Girl’, the first song Brian Wilson ever wrote and the first one he produced.

1964, A documentary ‘Follow The Beatles’ filmed while the group were making ‘A Hard Days Night’ was shown on BBC1 in the UK.

1967, The Jimi Hendrix Experience played the first of five nights at the Salvation Club in New York City.

1968, The Doors started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hello I Love You', the group's second US No.1. A No.15 hit in the UK. The group had 8 top 40 US hits from 67-71.

1968, The two day Newport Pop Festival took place in Costa Mesa, California with Alice Cooper, Canned Heat, Chambers Brothers, Charles Lloyd Quartet, Country Joe and the Fish, Electric Flag, James Cotton Blues Band, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Sonny & Cher, Steppenwolf and Tiny Tim. Over 100,000 fans attended the festival.

1971, Paul McCartney announced the formation of his new group Wings with his wife Linda and former Moody Blues guitarist and singer Denny Laine.

1974, Anne Murray appeared at The Schaefer Festival in New York as the headlining act. The opening act was Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band.

1974, Bad Company went to No.1 on the US album chart with their self-titled debut album.

1985, 'Drive' by The Cars was re-released following it's dramatic use on TV during the Live Aid concert. All the royalties from the record went to the Band Aid trust.

1985, Madonna scored her first UK No.1 single with 'Into The Groove'. The track was taken from the movie 'Desperately Seeking Susan' which featured Madonna and Rosanna Arquette. 'Into The Groove' is Madonna's best selling single in the UK, having sold over 850,000 copies.

1985, Tears For Fears started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Shout', the duo's second US No.1.

1986, The News Of The World in the UK printed an exclusive interview with 16 year old model Mandy Smith, who revealed she has been having an affair with Rolling Stone Bill Wyman for the past 2 and a half years.

1991, Cities In The Park took place in Heaton Park Manchester, England. A two day event with O.M.D. The Buzzcocks, The Fall, Wonder Stuff, The Soup Dragons, Happy Mondays, Electronic and The Railway Children.

1991, Metallic held a playback party to launch their self-titled album at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Kurt Cobain and Chris Novoselic from Nirvana both attended.

1996, Los Del Rio started a 14 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Macarena', a No.2 hit in the UK.

2000, Maurice Kinn died aged 76. The UK publisher launched The New Musical Express in 1953, which instigated the first charts based on record sales (first published on 14 November 1952). and organised the annual NME poll-winners concerts between 1963 and 1966.

2000, Pearl Jam played the first date on the North American leg of their Binaural 73-date world tour at the Virginia Beach Amphitheater, Virginia Beach, Virginia.

2001, Co-founder of US group 5th Dimension Ron Townson died of kidney failure aged 68. Had the 1969 US N.1 & UK No.11 single 'Aquarius'.

2003, UK band The Coral scored their first UK No.1 album with ‘Magic and Medicine.’

2006, Arthur Lee, singer and guitarist of the influential 1960s band Love died in Memphis at the age of 61 following a battle with acute myeloid leukaemia. He called himself the "first black hippie" and formed Love in Los Angeles in 1965. Best known for the critically revered 1967 album, 'Forever Changes.'

2007, Queen guitarist Brian May handed in his astronomy PhD thesis - 36 years after abandoning it to join the band. May had recently carried out observational work in Tenerife, where he studied the formation of "zodiacal dust clouds".

2007, Usher married Tameka Foster, six days after calling off their first ceremony. Their original ceremony was cancelled hours before it was due to take place amid reports pregnant Foster was taken to hospital for stress.

2008, Kid Rock was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'All Summer Long'. The song is based on Warren Zevon's 'Werewolves of London' and Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Sweet Home Alabama'.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2011 at 12:05
August 4th: On this Day

1958, Billboard introduced 'The Hot 100 Singles Chart', Ricky Nelson was at No.1 with 'Poor Little Fool'.

1962, The Rolling Stones played the first of 22 weekly shows at Ealing Jazz Club in Ealing, London. They were known as The Rollin’ Stones during this period.

1963, UK music weekly The NME reported that The Beatles could score their first US hit with 'From Me To You' as the single was 'bubbling under' on the charts at No.116.

1963, The Beatles appeared at the Queen's Theatre in Blackpool. So many fans crowded around the theatre, blocking every entrance, that The Beatles had to go through a construction area, up and across some scaffolding to the roof of the theatre, from where they were lowered through a trap door.

1966, The Troggs were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'With A Girl Like You', the group's only UK No.1 single.

1967, A female Monkees fan stowed away on the bands plane between shows in Minneapolis and St Louis. The girl's father threatened to bring charges for transporting a minor across state lines.

1968, The second day of the two day Newport Pop Festival took place in Costa Mesa, California with Blue Cheer, Eric Burdon & The Animals, Grateful Dead, Illinois Speed Press, Iron Butterfly, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service and The Byrds. Over 100,000 fans attended the festival.

1973, Maureen McGovern started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Morning After, 'not a hit in the UK.

1975, Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant and his wife were both badly injured when the hire car he was driving spun off the road and crashed on the Greek island of Rhodes. Plant smashed both his ankle and his elbow, and was not fully fit for the best part of two years. A forthcoming North American tour had to be cancelled.

1979, A benefit concert was held to raise money for Little Feat guitarist and singer Lowell George featuring members of his band plus Jackson Browne, Emmylou Harris and Bonnie Raitt.

1980, John Lennon began recording what would become his final album 'Double Fantasy' at The Hit Factory, New York.

1984, Prince started a 24 week run at the top of the US album charts with 'Purple Rain', it went on to sell over 10 million copies.

1990, During a New Kids On The Block concert in Montreal. Canada, three armed robbers stole souvenir sales proceeds valued at $260.000.

1990, During a US tour Janet Jackson collapsed on stage at a show in St Louis, suffering from an inner ear infection.

1990, Mariah Carey's started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Vision Of Love', her debut release. A No.9 hit in the UK.

1996, Oasis played two sold out nights at Balloch Castle Country Park, Loch Lomand, Scotland to over 80,000 fans. Oasis roadie James Hunter was crushed to death between a fork-lift truck and a lorry during the bands two days shows.

1999, Britney Spears with UK support group Steps appeared at The Paramount Theatre, Denver, USA.

2000, Craig David scored his second UK No.1 single with '7 Days'. At the age of 19, he became the youngest male artist to score two No.1s since Donny Osmond in 1973.

2001, Dave Stewart married fashion photographer Anouska Fisz on a private beach on the French Riviera. Guest's included Elton John, Mick Jagger, Oasis boys Liam and Noel Gallagher and his former Eurythmics partner Annie Lennox.

2001, The News Of The World reported that Mariah Carey had hired a private eye to spy on her ex husband, record boss Tommy Mottola. Investigator Jack Palladino told the paper that Mariah believed her ex husband was conducting a smear campaign against the singer.

2002, Former Pop Idol contestant Darius started a two week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Colourblind.'

2002, Bruce Springsteen scored his fifth UK No.1 album with ‘The Rising’, also No.1 in the US.

2002, Toby Keith was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Unleashed.’

2005, American blues singer and guitarist Little Milton died. Milton had suffered a brain aneurysm on 25th July 2005 and had lapsed into a coma. He signed to Sun records in 1953 and had the 1965 US No.25 single 'We're Gonna Make It'.

2007, US singer, songwriter Lee Hazlewood died of cancer, in his home near Las Vegas aged 78. Hazlewood wrote and produced many of Nancy Sinatra's most famous hits, including These Boots Were Made For Walkin', Jackson and Did You Ever? He also produced Duane Eddy and Gram Parsons and Something Stupid - the duet Nancy recorded with her father Frank in 1967.

August 4th: Born on this day

1901, Born on this day, Louis Armstrong, singer, bandleader, trumpet. Had many hits including the 1964 US No.1 'Hello Dolly!', 1968 UK No.1 'What A Wonderful World’ plus ‘When The Saints Go Marching In’, ‘Ain't Misbehavin’, and ‘We Have All the Time in the World.’ Died 6th July 1971.

1936, Born on this day, Elsberry Hobbs, The Drifters, (1960 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Save The Last Dance For Me').

1940, Born on this day, Frankie Ford, (1959 US No.14 single 'Sea Cruise').

1940, Born on this day, Larry Knechtel, guitar, Keyboards, Bread, (1970 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'Make It With You'). Died on 24th Dec 2009.

1943, Born on this day, David Carr, keyboards, The Fortunes, (1965 UK No.2 & US No.7 single 'You've Got Your Troubles')

1947, Born on this day, Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, German instrumental group, (1974 UK No.15 album 'Phaedra').

1947, Born on this day, Paul Layton, The New Seekers, (1972 UK No.1 single 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing').

1951, Born on this day, Roy Flowers, Sweet Sensation, (1974 UK No.1 single with 'Sad Sweet Dreamer').

1952, Born on this day, Marie Ni Bhraonain, Clannad, (1982 UK No.5 single 'Harry's Game').

1960, Born on this day, Graham Massey keyboards, 808 State, (1989 UK No.10 single 'Pacific State').

1962, Born on this day, Paul Reynolds, A Flock Of Seagulls, (1982 UK No.10 single 'Wishing If I Had A Photograph Of You').

1963, Born on this day, Sam Yaffa, Hanoi Rocks (1984 UK No.61 single 'Up Around The Bend').

1966, Born on this day, Andy Henderson, drums, Echobelly, (1995 UK No.13 single 'Great Things').

1968, Born on this day, Rob Cieka drums, The Boo Radleys (1995 UK No.9 single 'Wake Up Boo').

1969, Born on this day, Max Cavalera guitar, vocals, Sepultura (1996 UK No.19 single 'Roots Bloody Roots').
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2011 at 13:48
Cant believe Prince,s Purple rain was out in 1984 ,,,,Jeez 27 years ago ,,
Love to read this stuff everyday ,,cheers frank
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2011 at 12:36
August 5th: On this Day

1956, Doris Day was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Whatever Will Be Will Be', the singer actress' second UK No.1 single. The Oscar-winning song was featured in Alfred Hitchcock's 1956 film, The Man Who Knew Too Much, with Doris Day and James Stewart in the lead roles.

1957, American Bandstand first aired on US TV. Dick Clark had replaced Bob Horn the previous year when the show was still called Bandstand, Clark went on to host the show until 1989. Countless acts appeared on the show over the years, including Abba, The Doors, Talking Heads, Madonna, Otis Redding, R.E.M. and Pink Floyd.

1965, The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Help!' The group's eighth consecutive UK No.1 single.

1965, Jan Berry of Jan and Dean was accidentally knocked off a camera car and broke his leg on the first day of filming a new film Easy Come, Easy Go. Several other people were also hurt, causing Paramount to cancel the movie entirely.

1966, The Beatles Revolver was released in the UK. The bands seventh album featured: ‘Taxman’, ‘Eleanor Rigby’, ‘I'm Only Sleeping’, ‘Here, There and Everywhere’, ‘She Said She Said’, ‘And Your Bird Can Sing’ and ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’.

1967, Pink Floyd released their debut album The Piper At the Gates of Dawn on which most songs were penned by Syd Barrett. In subsequent years, the record has been recognised as one of the seminal psychedelic rock albums of the 1960s. When reviewed, by the two main UK music papers in the UK, Record Mirror and NME both gave the album four stars out of five. The album which was recorded at Abbey Road studios, London during the same time that The Beatles were recording Sgt Pepper peaked at #6 on the UK album chart and failed to chart in the US.

1968, American country guitarist Luther Perkins died at the age of 40 as a result of severe burns and smoke inhalation. Perkins fell asleep at home in his den with a cigarette in his hand. He was dragged from the fire unconscious with severe second and third degree burns. Perkins never regained consciousness. He worked with Johnny Cash and The Carter Family and featured on the live album Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison.

1969, George Harrison had his new Moog synthesizer brought into the studio for The Beatles to use in finishing their forthcoming album ‘Abbey Road’. Moog overdubs were recorded onto ‘Because’.

1972, Aerosmith signed to CBS Records for $125,000 after record company boss Clive Davis saw them play at Max's Kansas City Club New York.

1972, Wizzard made their live debut at the 'Rock 'n' Roll Festival, Wembley Stadium. Also on bill Chuck Berry, Bill Haley and Gary Glitter.

1975, Drummer Sandy West and guitarist Joan Jett formed the first ever all female heavy rock band after being introduced by producer Kim Fowley. The band released four studio albums, among its best known songs: 'Cherry Bomb', 'Queens of Noise' and a cover of The Velvet Underground’s 'Rock n Roll'.

1977, The Police, The Clash, The Damned, The Boys, The Rich Kids, Electric Kellar and Asphelt Jungle all appeared at the Mont de Marsan Punk festival in France.

1978, Pete Meaden former manager and publicist for The Who committed suicide.

1978, The Rolling Stones went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Miss You', the group's eighth US No.1, it made No.3 in the UK.

1979, Def Leppard signed to Phonogram records with an advance of ÂŁ120,000 pounds ($180,000) giving them a 10% royalty on 100% of sales for the first two years.

1981, Olivia Newton-John was awarded a 'Gold Star' on Hollywood Boulevard.

1983, Crosby Stills Nash & Young member David Crosby was sentenced to five years in jail in Texas for cocaine and firearms offences. Crosby had slept through most of his trial.

1984, Bruce Springsteen played the first of ten nights at the Meadowlands in New Jersey to mark the homecoming of the Born in the USA Tour.

1985, Bruce Springsteen kicked off the fourth leg of his Born in the USA world tour at the Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in Washington D.C.

1986, Culture Club keyboard player Michael Rudetsky is found dead at Boy George’s London home in Hampstead.

1989, Gloria Estefan started a six week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Cuts Both Ways'.

1989, Jive Bunny And The Mastermixers had their first of three UK No.1's with 'Swing The Mood'. Produced by the father and son DJ team of Andy and John Pickles, Swing the Mood fused a number of early rock and roll records with liberal use of Glenn Miller's 'In The Mood.'

1989, Taken from the Batman movie, Prince was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Batdance.'

1992, Jeff Porcaro drummer from Toto died age 38. His death has been the subject of controversy: some say the attack was caused by an allergic reaction to garden pesticide, while others say Porcaro's heart was weakened by smoking and cocaine use. Porcaro also worked with many other acts including Sonny and Cher, Roger Waters, Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, Steely Dan, Paul Simon and Boz Scaggs.

1993, Randy Hobbs, bass player with The McCoys, Edgar Winter Group and Motrose was found dead in his hotel room in Dayton Ohio from a drug overdose aged 45.

1995, Take That played the first of ten sold out nights at The Nynex Arena, Manchester, (the shows were without Robbie Williams who had quit the group on 17th July 1995). The group were also at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Never Forget', their 7th UK No.1 and last with Robbie Williams.

1996, It was reported that UK TV music show 'Top Of The Pops' had hit rock bottom with it's lowest audience ever - only two and a half million viewers. In its heyday the show attracted over 17 million viewers each week.

2000, Police were called to Gary Glitter's West London home after a crowd gathered outside and started to shout abuse. The former pop star was back in London to attend to business affairs before heading abroad again.

2001, David Gray returned to the No.1 position on the UK album chart with 'White Ladder'.

2001, *NSYNC started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Celebrity'.

2003, Dido started a four week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Life For Rent’ the UK singers second No.1 album.

2005, Bob Dylan's song 'Like a Rolling Stone' topped a poll of rock and film stars to find the music, movies, TV shows and books that changed the world. The 1965 single beat Elvis Presley's ‘Heartbreak Hotel’ into second place in a survey for Uncut magazine. Sir Paul McCartney, Noel Gallagher, Robert Downey Jr, Rolling Stone Keith Richards and Lou Reed were among those who gave their opinions.

2007, DNA testing on about a dozen people who claimed late soul star James Brown was their father revealed that at least two of them were telling the truth. A former adviser for the singer, Buddy Dallas, said he could not confirm exact figures, as further test results were forthcoming. His will, which is being disputed in court, named six children.

2007, Beatles fans feared the misuse of the Fab Four’s music had hit rock bottom following the decision to license ‘All You Need Is Love’ for use in a nappy advert. Procter & Gamble had purchased the rights to use the song from Sony/ATV Music Publishing, which now owned Northern Songs, the Beatles’ catalogue. The ad featured a baby jumping on a teddy bear in a disposable nappy which offered “ultimate leak protection.”

2008, American singer, songwriter Robert Hazard died after surgery for pancreatic cancer. He wrote Cyndi Lauper's, ’Girls Just Wanna Have Fun’, and fronted Robert Hazard and the Heroes in the 80’s.

2009, A 53-year-old who claimed he was secretly engaged to Miley Cyrus was charged with trying to stalk the US singer. Mark McLeod was arrested after trying to contact the Hannah Montana actress on a film set near Savannah, Georgia. McLeod claimed he had met Cyrus 18 months earlier and that she had accepted his marriage proposal. He told police that Cyrus' father, country singer Billy Ray Cyrus, approved of their relationship and that Cyrus had sent him "secret messages" through her TV show.

August 5th: Born on this day

1941, Born on this day, Airto Moreira drummer, Weather Report, (1976 single 'Birdland', 1977 album Heavy Weather').

1942, Born on this day, Rick Huxley guitar, Dave Clark Five, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Glad All Over', 1965 US No.1 single 'Over And Over' , plus over 15 other UK top 40 singles).

1946, Born on this day, Jimmy Webb US singer, songwriter, Wrote the 1968 hit for Richard Harris 'MacArthur Park', plus 'Galverston', for Glen Campbell, 'Up Up and Away', 5th Dimension.

1947, Born on this day, Gregory Leskiw, Guess Who, (1970 US No.1 & UK No.19 single 'American Woman').

1955, Born on this day, Eddie "Fingers" Ojeda, guitar, Twisted Sister, (1983 UK No.18 single 'I Am, I'm Me', 1984 album 'Stay Hungry').

1957, Born on this day, Louis Walsh, Irish manager of Boyzone, Westlife Samantha Mumba and Girls Aloud. Judge on reality television series Popstars : The Rivals and in 2005 as a judge (along with Simon Cowell and Sharon Osbourne ) on the ITV talent show, The X Factor.

1959, Born on this day, Pat Smear, Germs, Nirvana, (fourth member), Foo Fighters, (1995 UK No.5 single 'This Is A Call'). Left the band in 1997.

1959, Born on this day, Pete Burns, singer, Mystery Girls, Dead Or Alive, (1985 UK No.1 single 'You Spin Me Round, Like A Record').

1960, Born on this day, Calvin Hayes, Johnny Hates Jazz, (1987 UK No.5 single 'Shattered Dreams').

1960, Born on this day, Stuart Croxford, Kajagoogoo, (1983 UK No.1 single 'Too Shy').

1963, Born on this day, Mike Nocito, guitar, Johnny Hates Jazz, (1987 UK No.5 single 'Shattered Dreams').

1965, Jeff Coffin, saxophonist, Béla Fleck and the Flecktones and Dave Matthews Band. 2009 US No.1 album with Dave Matthews Band, ‘Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King’.

1966, Born on this day, Jennifer Finch, bass, L7, (1992 UK No. 21 single ‘Pretend We’re Dead’).

1975, Born on this day, Dan Hipgrave, vocals, Toploader, (2000 UK No.7 single 'Dancin' In The Moonlight').

1983, Born on this day, Dawn Richard, singer, Danity Kane, (formed on the MTV reality show Making the Band 3). 2006 US No.1 self-titled album.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2011 at 12:25
August 6th: On this Day

1960, Chubby Checker appeared on US TV show American Bandstand and performed ‘The Twist.’ The song went to No.1 on the US chart and again 18 months later in 1962. It is the only song to go to the top of the charts on two separate occasions.

1964, Rod Stewart made his TV debut on 'The Beat Room' as a member of The Hoochie Coochie Men.

1965, The Beatles released their fifth album and soundtrack to their second film ‘Help!’ which included the title track, ‘The Night Before’, ‘You've Got to Hide Your Love Away’, ‘You're Going to Lose That Girl’, ‘Ticket to Ride’ and ‘Yesterday’.

1965, Decca records released The Small Faces debut single 'Whatcha Gonna Do About It.' It peaked at No.14 on the UK chart.

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at the Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento, California.

1970, The 10th National Jazz, Blues and Pop four day Festival was held at Plumpton Racecourse in Sussex, England. Featuring, Family, Groundhogs, Cat Stevens, Deep Purple, Fat Mattress, Yes, Caravan, The Strawbs, Black Sabbath, Wild Angles, Wishbone Ash and Daddy Longlegs.

1970, Steppenwolf, Janis Joplin, Paul Simon, Poco and Johnny Winter all appeared at the Concert For Peace at New York's Shea Stadium. The concert date coincided with the 25th anniversary of dropping an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan.

1973, Stevie Wonder was seriously injured when the car he was riding in crashed into a truck on I-85 near Winston-Salem, North Carolina leaving him in a coma for four days. The accident also left him without any sense of smell.

1974, Abba scored their first US top 10 hit when ‘Waterloo’ went to No.6. The Swedish group were also on their first American tour.

1977, This week's UK Top 5 singles: No.5 'Fanfare For The Common Man', ELP. No.4, 'Pretty Vacant', The Sex Pistols. No.3, 'Angelo' Brotherhood Of Man'. No.2, 'Ma Baker', Boney M and No.1, 'I Feel Love' Donna Summer.

1977, The Police appeared at The Red Cow, Hammersmith Road in London, admission was 60p.

1981, Stevie Nicks released her first solo album Bella Donna which contained four top 40 US hits. ‘Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around’, (with Tom Petty), ‘Leather and Lace’, (with Don Henley), ‘Edge of Seventeen’ and ‘After the Glitter Fades.’

1982, Pink Floyd’s ‘The Wall’ starring Bob Geldof opened in movie theatres in New York. The film was conceived alongside the double album by Pink Floyd’s, Roger Waters.

1983, Avant-garde musician and former backing singer with David Bowie Klaus Nomi died at the age of 39 of Aids in New York City aged 38. Nomi was one of the first celebrities to contract AIDS.

1983, 'The Very Best Of The Beach Boys' went to No.1 on the UK album chart.

1988, 'Appetite For Destruction' Guns N' Roses debut album went to No.1 in the US, after spending 57 weeks on the chart and selling over 5 million copies. Singles from the album, ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine,’ ‘Welcome to the Jungle’ and ‘Paradise City’ were all US top 10 hits. Worldwide sales now stand in excess of 28 million and the album is the best-selling debut album of all-time in the US, beating Boston's debut album Boston, which has gone 17x platinum.

1988, Yazz and the Plastic Population started a five week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Only Way Is Up'. The song was originally released as the title track to the 1982 album by soul singer Otis Clay.

1989, Adam Clayton of U2 was arrested in The Blue Light Inn car park in Dublin for marijuana possession and intent to supply the drug to another person. His conviction was waived in exchange for paying ÂŁ25,000 to the Dublin Woman's Aid Centre.

1990, Ace Of Base made the live debut when they played in Gothenburg, Sweden

1994, Lisa Loeb started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Stay (I Missed You), a No.6 hit in the UK. Actor and friend Ethan Hawke had asked her to provide a song for the upcoming movie Reality Bites and 'Stay' was featured in the film.

1994, Manic Street Preachers guitarist Richey Edwards booked into a private clinic to be treated for nervous exhaustion.

1998, During his 137-date Faith World Tour, George Michael appeared at the Capital Centre, Washington D.C.

1999, Dick Latvala died aged 56 after being in a coma caused by a heart attack. Latvala worked with The Grateful Dead since the early 80’s looking after their archives of live performances which became a series of 'Dick’s Picks' albums.

2000, Former Boyzone member Ronan Keating started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with his debut release 'Ronan'.

2000, Robbie Williams went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Rock DJ'.

2001, Whitney Houston became one of the highest-paid musicians in the world after signing a new deal with Arista records, said to be worth more than $100m.

2004, Rick James was found dead at his Los Angeles home. Known as 'The King of Punk-Funk' James scored the 1981 US No.3 album ‘Street Songs’ and 1981 US No.16 single ‘Super Freak part 1’. In the late 60's James worked as a songwriter and producer for Motown, working with Smokey Robinson and The Miracles. Addicted to cocaine, he once admitted to spending $7,000 a week on drugs for five years.

2006, ‘Hips Don't Lie’ by Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean was at No.1 on the UK and Australian singles chart, ‘Promiscuous’ by Nelly Furtado & Timbaland was at No.1 on the US chart.

2006, UK singer songwriter James Morrison started a two week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with his debut album 'Undiscovered.'

2007, Marilyn Manson was being sued by a former band member who said he was owed $20m (ÂŁ9.8m) in shared profits. Stephen Bier, who played keyboards under the stage name Madonna Wayne Gacy, claimed he was not paid properly over a period of almost two decades. In legal papers filed in Los Angeles, Bier claimed Manson falsely told him the band was not making much money and used band money to buy a $2m (ÂŁ980,000) home and collect Nazi memorabilia, including coat hangers used by Adolf Hitler.

2009, Steven Tyler was airlifted to hospital after falling off stage during a gig at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota. The 61-year-old Aerosmith singer fell from a catwalk onto a couple of fans, he suffered neck and shoulder injuries. About 30 minutes after the accident, guitarist Joe Perry came out to tell the crowd that the remainder of the show had been cancelled.

August 6th: Born on this day

1929, Born on this day, Mike Elliot, The Foundations, (1967 UK No.1 single 'Baby Now That I've Found You'. 1969 US No.3 single 'Build Me Up A Buttercup').

1938, Born on this day, Isaac Hayes, singer, (1971 US No.1 & UK No.4 single, 'Theme From Shaft', 1998 UK No.2 single as Chef 'Chocolate Salty Balls'). Hayes was found dead at his home on 10th Aug 2008, aged 65.

1948, Born on this day, Allan Holdsworth, Soft Machine, (1970 UK No.18 album 'Third').

1952, Born on this day, Pat McDonald, Timbuk 3, (1987 UK No.21 single 'The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades').

1958, Born on this day, Randy Debarge, Debarge, (1985 UK No.4 single 'Rhythm Of The Night').

1963, Born on this day, Jamie Kensit, Eighth Wonder, (1988 UK No.7 single 'I'm Not Scared').

1969, Elliot Smith, US singer songwriter, 1997 album 'Either/Or'. His song 'Miss Misery' saw him nominated for an Academy Award in 1997. Smith committed suicide on 22nd October 2003 aged 34.

1972, Born on this day, Geri Halliwell, (Ginger Spice), vocals, The Spice Girls, (1996 UK No.1 & 1997 US No.1 single 'Wannabe', plus seven other No.1 singles. Left the group on 7th June 1998, her first UK solo No.1 single was 1999 'Mi Chico Latino'. Halliwell has scored more UK No.1's than any other female artist.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2011 at 12:45
August 7th: On this Day

1954, Johnny Cash married Vivian Liberto at St Ann’s Catholic Church in Memphis. Cash had plans of becoming a Memphis appliance salesman, he instead formed a band with Luther Perkins and Marshall Grant, and was signed to Sun Records a year later.

1954, Elvis Presley appeared at the Eagles Nest in Memphis Tennessee, (the first of 12 shows at the venue in this year). The advertisement in the local paper read; “See and hear Elvis singing That’s All Right and The Blue Moon of Kentucky.”

1957, The Quarry Men played at the Cavern Club in Liverpool, (without Paul McCartney who was away at Boy Scout summer camp). The Cavern was still a jazz club, but skiffle was tolerated, but when John Lennon dared to play ‘Hound Dog’ and ‘Blue Suede Shoes’, the club owner sent a note to the stage saying, "Cut out the bloody rock!"

1963, This weeks UK Top 5 albums: No.5, Elvis Presley, 'It Happened At The World Fair', No.4, 'West Side Story', Soundtrack, No.3, Cliff Richard, 'Cliff's Hit Album', No.2, The Shadows, 'Greatest Hits', No.1, The Beatles, 'Please Please Me.'

1964, The Rolling Stones, Ronnie Scott, Tuby Hayes, Manfred Mann, Yardbirds and Mose Allison all appeared at the fourth Richmond Jazz Festival held over three days in Richmond, England.

1965, Herman's Hermits went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I'm Henry VIII I Am'. The single was only released in the US. Singer Peter Noone once interviewed Elvis Presley for UK music paper New Musical Express.

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at the Berkeley Community Theatre, California.

1970, The Goose Lake International Music Festival was held in Leoni, Michigan. Over 200,000 fans attended the three day festival. Acts who appeared included, Jethro Tull, 10 Years After, Mountain, Chicago, Bob Seger, John Sebastian, James Gang, Stooges with Iggy Pop, Brownsville Station, MC5, Rod Stewart and Flying Burrito Brothers.

1971, The Bee Gees started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'How Can You Mend A Broken Heart'. It was the group's tenth US hit and first No.1.

1974, Peter Wolf from The J Geils Band married actress Faye Dunaway in Beverly Hills the marriage ended in divorce in 1979.

1976, Elton John and Kiki Dee were at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart', giving Elton his sixth US No.1. It was written by Elton John without Bernie Taupin under the pseudonym "Ann Orson" and "Carte Blanche."

1976, UK music weekly Melody Maker gave The Sex Pistols their first front cover.

1982, Dexy's Midnight Runners were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Come On Eileen' their second and last No.1. It was the Best-selling single of 1982 and the song won Best British Single at the 1983 Brit Awards.

1982, Fleetwood Mac started a five-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Mirage'. The bands third US No.1.

1982, 'Kids From Fame' by The Kids From Fame started an eight week run at No.1 on the UK album chart.

1983, Howard Devoto supported by The Smiths appeared at The Lyceum in London, England.

1984, American soul singer Esther Phillips died from liver and kidney failure in Carson, California in 1984, at the age of 48. (1975 hit single 'What A Difference A Day Makes').

1990, David Bowie appeared live at Maine Road Football ground Manchester, England.

1993, Cypress Hill started a two-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Black Sunday'.

1997, Garth Brooks played to the largest crowd ever in New York's Central Park. An estimated 1 million people attended the live concert with an additional 14.6 million viewing live on HBO.

2001, Harmonica player Larry Adler died aged 87. Known for his original collaborations with George Gershwin, Kate Bush, Sting and Vaughan Williams and his own virtuoso performances.

2002, Three members of Oasis were injured when the taxi they were travelling in was involved in a crash during a US tour in Indianapolis. Noel Gallagher, Andy Bell and Jay Darlington were all taken to hospital and treated for cuts and bruises.

2002, Former Boyzone Keith Duffy made his acting debut in UK TV soap Coronation Street playing the role of Peter Barlow's old Navy mate Ciaran McCarthy.

2003, The Osmonds received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

2005, James Blunt was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with ‘You're Beautiful’, Mariah Carey was at No.1 on the US charts with ‘We Belong Together’ and Axel F had ‘Crazy Frog’ at No.1 on the Australian singles charts.

2007, Lily Allen had her US work visa cancelled after arriving at Los Angeles airport. The 22-year-old, who was due to tour America in September, had flown in for the MTV Video Music Awards launch. She was held at the airport for five hours in connection with an arrest for an alleged assault in London in June.

2007, Pete Doherty was warned by a judge that he could face jail or a community order over drugs offences. In July, the 28-year-old Babyshambles frontman pleaded guilty to driving illegally while in possession of crack cocaine, heroin, ketamine and cannabis. The judge said: "What I have in mind is a community order or prison... if he does not show his motivation, it's prison - it's as simple as that." The singer volunteered to show the position of an implant in his stomach designed to help him give up drugs.

2008, Elvis Presley's peacock jumpsuit, was sold at auction for $300,000, making it the most expensive piece of Elvis memorabilia ever sold at an auction. The white outfit with a plunging V-neck and high collar featured a blue-and-gold peacock design, hand-embroidered on the front and back and along the pant legs.

2009, Willy DeVille died at the age of 58 following a battle with pancreatic cancer. The band he formed, Mink Deville, appeared at the legendary CBGB club in New York in the 1970s and scored the 1977 hit ‘Spanish Stroll.’ Doctors discovered he had cancer earlier this year as he was preparing to undergo treatment for hepatitis C.

August 7th: Born on this day

1925, Born on this day, Felice Bryant, songwriter with her husband Boudleaux. Wrote Everly Brothers hits, 'All I Have To Do Is Dream', 'Bye Bye Love', 'Wake Up Little Susie' and 'Raining In My Heart' a hit for Buddy Holly.

1936, Born on this day, Charles Pope, The Tams, (1971 UK No.1 single 'Hey Girl Don't Bother Me'). Pope died on 16th March 1996.

1945, Born on this day, Kerry Chater, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, (1968 UK No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Young Girl').

1949, Born on this day, Carlo Novi, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, (1978 album 'Hearts Of Stone').

1950, Born on this day, Rodney Crowell, country guitarist, songwriter, worked with Emmylou Harris, acts that covered his songs include Bob Seger, Willie Nelson & Carlene Carter.

1952, Born on this day, Alexis Sayle, actor, comedian, (1984 UK No.15 single 'Ullo John Got A New Motor'').

1952, Born on this day, Andy Fraser, bass player with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. Joined Free when he was aged 16. (1970 UK No.2 & US No.4 single ‘All Right Now'). Ted Nugent, Robert Palmer and Joe Cocker have all covered songs written by Fraser.

1958, Born on this day, Bruce Dickinson vocals, Iron Maiden, (joined in 1981, UK No.1 single in 1991 'Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter').

1960, Born on this day, Jacqui O'Sullivan, singer, Bananarama, (joined in 1988, 1988 UK No.5 single 'I Want You Back').

1964, Born on this day, Ian Dench, guitar, EMF, (1990 UK No.3 & US No.1 single 'Unbelievable').

1965, Born on this day, Raul Malo, singer, songwriter, The Mavericks, (1998 UK No.4 single 'Dance The Night Away'), and solo.

1966, Born on this day, Kristin Hersh, singer, songwriter, Throwing Muses (1992 UK No.46 'Firepile EP'), and solo.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2011 at 11:43
August 8th: On this Day

1960, 16-year old Brian Hyland went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini' it made No.8 in the UK. Also a UK No.1 for Bombalurina featuring TV presenter Timmy Mallett in 1990.

1960, Decca Records scrapped 25,000 copies of Ray Peterson's ‘Tell Laura I Lover Her’ because they felt the song, which recounts the last thoughts of a teenager dying from a car accident, was "too tasteless and vulgar". A cover version by Ricky Valance, went to No.1 on the UK chart a month later.

1963, The Searchers were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Sweets For My Sweet', the group's first of three UK No.1's.

1964, The single by The Young World Singers called 'Ringo For President' was released in the US.

1966, In response to John Lennon's remark about The Beatles being bigger than Jesus, The South African Broadcasting Corporation banned all Beatles records. Also on this day The Beatles LP Revolver was released in the US, the bands seventh album featured: ‘Taxman’, ‘Eleanor Rigby’, ‘I'm Only Sleeping’, ‘Here, There and Everywhere’, ‘She Said She Said’, ‘And Your Bird Can Sing’ and ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’. It spent 77 weeks on the Billboard chart peaking at No.1.

1967, The Jimi Hendrix Experience played the last night of a five night run at the Salvation Club in New York City.

1969, The photo session for the cover of The Beatles 'Abbey Road' album took place on the crossing outside Abbey Road studios. Photographer Iain McMillan, balanced on a step-ladder in the middle of the road took six shots of John, Ringo, Paul, and George walking across the zebra crossing while a policeman held up the traffic. The band then returned to the studio and recorded overdubs on ‘The End’, ‘I Want You (She's So Heavy)’ and ‘Oh! Darling’.

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino, California, supported by Jethro Tull.

1970, Blood Sweat & Tears started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Blood Sweat & Tears 3'.

1970, Janis Joplin bought a headstone for the grave of her greatest influence Bessie Smith at the Mont Lawn Cemetery in Philadelphia. Blues singer Smith died in 1937 after being refused admission to a whites only hospital.

1971, Tim Buckley and Tom Waits both appeared at In The Alley, San Diego, California.

1980, The Greater London Council banned The Plasmatics from blowing a car up on stage during their UK live debut at London's Hammersmith Odeon.

1981, MTV broadcast its first stereo concert with REO Speedwagon who performed in Denver, Colorado, having just released the album Hi Infidelity and the hit singles, ‘Keep On Loving You,’ ‘Take It On the Run’ and ‘Don’t Let Him Go.’

1983, Harold Melvin and members from The Bluenotes were arrested in Atlantic City on charges of cocaine possession.

1986, David Crosby of Crosby, Stills and Nash was released from prison after serving three years for drug and weapons possession. His conviction would be overturned by a Texas appeals court in November 1987.

1987, U2 scored their second US No.1 single from their 'Joshua Tree' album with 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'.

1991, On A Friday, (later to become known as Radiohead) appeared at The Jericho Tavern, Oxford, England. The band had met while attending Abingdon School, a boys-only public school. "On a Friday", referred to the band's usual rehearsal day in the school's music room.

1992, Madonna went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'This Used To Be My Playground'. A No.3 hit in the UK, the track was taken from the film 'A League Of Their Own.'

1992, Snap! Started a six-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Rhythm Is A Dancer' the dance group's second and last No.1 was also a Top 5 US hit.

1992, A riot broke out during a Guns N' Roses and Metallica gig at Montreal stadium when Metallica's show was cut short after singer James Hetfield was injured by pyrotechnics. Guns N' Roses took the stage but frontman Axl Rose claimed that his throat hurt, causing the band to leave the stage early. The cancellation led to a riot by the audience who overturned cars, smashed windows, looted local stores and set fires.

1996, Kiss appeared at the Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati, Ohio on their 192 date Alive World Tour. During this show a fan threw his fake leg on stage, which all the members signed and handed back to him.

1998, The Spice Girls had the UK No.1 single with 'Viva Forever', their 7th UK chart topper. Brandy and Monica were at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Boy Is Mine'.

2002, The UK's biggest undertakers Co-Op funeral services reported that bereaved families preferred pop songs to hymns at funerals. Top of the list was 'Wind Beneath My Wings' by Bette Midler. Other songs included 'Angels' by Robbie Williams and 'My Heart Will Go On' by Celine Dion. They also reported some unusual choices including 'Another One Bites The Dust' by Queen and 'Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go' by Wham!

2006, ‘Hips Don't Lie’ by Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean was at No.1 on the UK singles chart, ‘Promiscuous’ by Nelly Furtado & Timbaland was at No.1 on the US chart.

2007, The US National Musical Publishers' Association joined other businesses in seeking to sue YouTube claiming songwriters were not being properly compensated when their music appeared on the site. The legal action had been combined with those of several other companies, including Viacom and Nickelodeon, Paramount Pictures and Comedy Central.

2007, Demi Lovato was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Here We Go Again’, the American singers second album.

August 8th: Born on this day

1927, Born on this day, Andy Warhol, pop artist and producer, the founder of the Pop Art movement. Produced and managed The Velvet Underground, designed the 1967 Velvet Underground and Nico, 'peeled banana' album cover and The Rolling Stones 'Sticky Fingers' album cover. Warhol died on 22nd February 1987 after a gall bladder operation.

1933, Born on this day, Joe Tex, US soul singer, (1965 US No.5 single 'Hold On To What You've Got', 1977 UK No.2 single 'Ain't Gonna Bump No More With No Big Fat Woman'). Tex died on 12th August 1982 aged 49.

1942, Born on this day, John David, drums, Dr Hook, (1972 US No.5 & UK No.2 single 'Sylvia's Mother' plus 9 other US Top 40 hits).

1949, Born on this day, Airrion Love, singer, The Stylistics, (1975 US No.1 single 'You Make Me Feel Brand New', 1975 UK No.1 single 'Can't Give You Anything But My Love' plus 15 other UK top 40 singles).

1950, Born on this day, Andy Fairweather-Low, singer, songwriter, Amen Corner, (1969 UK No.1 single 'If Paradise Is Half As Nice'). Solo (1975 UK No.6 single 'Wide Eyed And Legless'). As a session guitarist has worked with Bob Dylan, Roger Waters, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Elton John, Jackson Browne, Bill Wyman, Sheryl Crow and Ringo Starr.

1956, Born on this day, Ali Score, A Flock Of Seagulls, (1982 UK No.10 single 'Wishing If I Had A Photograph Of You').

1956, Born on this day, David Grant, Linx, (1981 UK No.7 single 'Intuition').

1957, Born on this day, Dennis Drew Keyboards, 10,000 Maniacs (1993 UK No.47 single 'Candy Everybody Wants').

1958, Born on this day, Christopher Foreman, guitar, Madness, (1982 UK No.1 single 'House Of Fun' & over 20 other UK top 40 hits)

1959, Born on this day, Rikki Rockett, Poison, (1988 US No.1 & 1989 UK No.13 single 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn').

1961, Born on this day, Paul Jackson, bass, T'Pau, (1987 UK No.1 single 'China In Your Hand', 1987 US No.4 single 'Heart And Soul').

1961, Born on this day, The Edge (Dave Evans), guitar, U2, (1984 UK No.3 single 'Pride, In The Name Of Love' plus over 25 other UK Top singles, 1987 UK and worldwide No.1 album 'The Joshua Tree' spent 156 weeks on the UK chart. Scored five consecutive US No.1 albums from 1987.)

1967, Born on this day, Lorraine Pearson, 5 star, (1986 UK No.3 single 'System Addict', plus 15 other UK top 40 singles).

1973, Born on this day, Scott Stapp, singer, songwriter, Creed, (2001 US No.1 & UK No.13 single 'With Arms Wide Open', 2002 US No.1 album, 'Weathered').

1974, Born on this day, Brian Harvey singer, East 17, (1994 UK No.1 single 'Stay Another Day', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles).

1976, Born on this day, Joshua Chasez, vocals, *NSYNC (2000 US No.1 single 'It's Gonna Be Me', 1999 UK No.5 single 'I Want You Back').

1981, Born on this day, Bradley McIntosh, S Club 7, singer, (1999 UK No.1 single 'Bring It All Back'). 2000 UK No.1 album '7' spent over a year on the UK chart.

1981, Born on this day, Vanessa Joy Amorosi, Australian singer, 2009 Australian No.1 single ‘This Is Who I Am’.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2011 at 12:55
August 9th: On this Day

1953, Mantovani and his Orchestra were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Song From The Moulin Rouge', (from the film of the same name). The first ever instrumental No.1 on the UK chart.

1958, Britain’s answer to Elvis, 17 year old Cliff Richard, signed a record deal with EMI records. Also on this day Cliff Richard started a four-week residency at Butlins Holiday Camp in Clacton-On-Sea, Essex as Cliff Richard and the Drifters.

1963, The first ever edition of 'Ready Steady Go! was shown on UK TV. Introduced by Keith Fordyce and 19 year-old Cathy McGowan. The first show featured The Searchers, Jet Harris, Pat Boone, Billy Fury and Brian Poole and The Tremeloes. The final show was in Dec 1966 after 175 episodes. Originally 30 minutes long, it expanded to 50 minutes the following year, and soon attracted the most popular artists, including The Beatles, The Lovin’ Spoonful, The Rolling Stones, The Four Tops, The Kinks and many others.

1964, The Rolling Stones appeared at the New Elizabeth Ballroom in Belle Vue, Manchester. Two policemen fainted and another was taken to hospital with broken ribs after trying to control over 3,000 screaming teenagers.

1967, Scott McKenzie was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair).' The singers only UK Top 40 hit was written by John Philips of Mamas & Papas.

1967, The Small Faces entered the singles chart with 'Itchycoo Park', the single peaked at No.3 in the UK chart.

1968, After the other Beatles had gone home for the evening (2.00 am), Paul McCartney stayed behind and recorded ‘Mother Nature's Son’, taping 25 takes at Abbey Road studios. The song was included on the ‘White Album.’

1968, James Brown & the Famous Flames appeared at Balboa Stadium, San Diego, California.

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California. Jethro Tull who opened for the band were at No.1 on the UK album chart with their second release 'Stand Up'.

1975, The Bee Gees started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Jive Talkin', the group's second US No.1 it made No.5 in the UK.

1975, Typically Tropical were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Barbados', the acts only hit making them One-hit Wonders.

1980, Abba scored their eighth UK No.1 single with 'The Winner Takes It All'. Taken from their 'Super Trouper' album. By this time, both couples were divorced.

1980, AC/DC scored their first UK No.1 album with 'Back In Black'. It was the first AC/DC album recorded without former lead singer Bon Scott, (who died on 19 February 1980 at the age of 33), and was dedicated to him. The album has sold an estimated 49 million copies worldwide to date, making it the second highest selling album of all time, and the best selling hard rock or heavy metal album, as well as the best selling album ever released by a band.

1980, Ten original Gerald Scarfe drawings for Pink Floyd’s album ‘The Wall’ were stolen from the foyer of Earls Court, London, England where they were being exhibited.

1986, 250 Gary Numan fans picketed BBC Radio 1 in London, demanding more airtime for their favourite pop star.

1986, Queen gave what would be their last ever live performance when they appeared at Knebworth Park in England. The last two songs the band played were 'We Are The Champions' and 'God Save The Queen'. Over 120,000 fans attended the show, also on the bill were Big Country, Belouis Some and Status Quo, advanced tickets cost ÂŁ14.50.

1994, During an Oasis gig at The Riverside in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, guitarist Noel Gallagher was hit in the face by a man who had jumped on the stage. Noel refused to carry on playing and after leaving the stage a mob of over 300 people attacked the bands bus as they were leaving.

1995, Jerry Garcia guitarist and singer from The Grateful Dead died from a heart attack at the Serenity Knolls rehabilitation clinic in San Francisco aged 53. Garcia co-founded the New Riders of the Purple Sage and also released several solo albums. He was well known for his distinctive guitar playing and was ranked 13th in Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Guitarist's of All Time"

1999, Spice Girls manager Bob Herbert was killed in a car crash in Windsor, England. Herbert was behind the formation of The Spice Girls and Five and had managed Bros during the 80's.

2005, The Magic Numbers walked out of an appearance on UK music show Top of the Pops after presenter Richard Bacon said the band had been put in a "fat melting pot of talent." The band left the studio in protest at the "derogatory, unfunny remarks".

2005, Marc Cohn survived being shot in the head during an attempted car jacking as he left a concert in Denver, Colorado. Cohn was struck in the temple by the bullet but it did not penetrate his skull. Police said a man tried to commandeer Cohn's tour van as it left after a show, the attacker was fleeing police after trying to pay a hotel bill with a stolen credit card.

2006, Shakira played the first date on the North American leg of her 99 date Oral Fixation world tour at the Don Haskins Center in El Paso, Texas.

2007, Amy Winehouse cancelled a series of European shows after being admitted to hospital suffering from "severe exhaustion". The 23-year-old singer was taken to University College London Hospital and later discharged. In the past few weeks she had pulled out of the T in the Park festival - also citing "exhaustion", Liverpool's Summer Pops event and concerts in Norway and Denmark.

2007, Jennifer Lopez won $545,000 (ÂŁ267,257) in a case against her first husband, who planned to publish a book claiming she had several affairs. Lopez claimed Ojani Noa had violated a previous legal settlement preventing him from revealing private details about their relationship. The star claimed Mr Noa offered not to publish the book in return for $5 million (ÂŁ2.4m).

August 9th: Born on this day

1939, Born on this day, Billy Henderson singer, The Detroit Spinners, (1980 UK No.1 & US No.2 single 'Working My Way Back To You'). Henderson died aged 67 from complications from diabetes on 2nd Feb 2007.

1944, Born on this day, Vic Prince, drummer, Pretty Things (1964 UK No.10 single 'Don't Bring Me Down').

1946, Born on this day, John Parry, Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, (1968 UK No.5 single 'I'm The Urban Spaceman).

1946, Born on this day, Marinus Gerritsen, Golden Earring, (1974 UK No.7 & US No.13 single 'Radar Love').

1954, Born on this day, Bruce Thomas, bass, Elvis Costello and The Attractions, (1979 UK No.2 single 'Olivers Army').

1955, Born on this day, Benjamin Orr bass, vocals, The Cars, (1978 UK No.3 single 'My Best Friend's Girl' and 1985 UK No.4 single 'Drive'). Orr died of cancer on 3rd October 2000.

1955, Born on this day, Charlie Morgan, English drummer and percussionist. Worked with the Tom Robinson Band, Kate Bush, Elton John, Orleans, Paul McCartney and Tina Turner.

1963, Born on this day, Whitney Houston, singer, (1985 UK & US No.1 single 'Saving All My Love For You', 1992 UK & US No.1 single 'I Will Always Love You', plus nine other US No.1's. 20 UK top 40 singles including four No.1's).

1972, Born on this day, Arion Salazar, Third Eye Blind, (1997 US No.4 & UK No. 33 single 'Semi-Charmed Life').

1978, Born on this day, Luke Concannon, guitar and vocals, Nizlopi, (2005 UK No.1 single ‘JCB Song’).
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2011 at 13:57
Also born on this day our very own Pat the BikerParty
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2011 at 13:56
August 10th: On this Day

1959, Four members of The Platters were arrested after a gig in Cincinnati after being found with four 19 year old women, (3 of them white), in various stages of undress. The scandal resulted in radio stations across the US removing Platters records from their playlists.

1961, Helen Shapiro was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with You Don't Know. Aged 14, Shapiro became the youngest act ever to score a UK No.1.

1963, 13 year-old Little Stevie Wonder started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Fingertips part II', making him the youngest singer to top the charts.

1963, The 100th edition of 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' was aired on UK TV, with Cliff Richard, The Shadows, The Searchers, Brian Poole and the Tremeloes, Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas and Alma Cogan.

1963, Acker Bilk, Chris Barber, Ronnie Ross, Cyril Davies, Long John Baldry and The Rolling Stones all appeared at the third Richmond Jazz Festival held over two days in Richmond, England. A weekend ticket cost 20 shillings.

1964, Mick Jagger was fined £32 in Liverpool for driving without insurance and breaking the speed limit. His solicitor explained that Jagger was on “an errand of mercy”, driving to see two fans injured in a car crash.

1964, The Beatles had four singles re-released in the US: ‘Do You Want To Know A Secret’, ‘Please, Please Me’, ‘Love Me Do’ and 'Twist And Shout.’

1968, Deep Purple, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Ten Years After, The Nice, Ginger Baker and Arthur Brown all appeared at the National Jazz & Blues Festival, Kempton Park Racecourse, Sunbury On Thames, England.

1968, Tom Jones went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Delilah'.

1969, During a North American tour, Led Zeppelin appeared at the San Diego Sports Arena. Jethro Tull were the support act.

1970, Elvis Presley played the first night of a four-week engagement, playing 2 shows most nights at The International Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada.

1970, Simon and Garfunkels album 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' was at No.1 on the UK album chart, The Beatles were at No.2 with 'Let It Be' and Bob Dylan was at No.3 with 'Self Portrait.'

1972, Paul and Linda McCartney were arrested and fined ÂŁ800 for possession of cannabis in a drugs bust after a concert in Gothenburg, Sweden.

1974, John Denver went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Back Home Again'.

1974, Roberta Flack went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Feel Like Makin' Love', the singers third US No.1.

1976, Elton John played the first of ten nights sold out nights at Madison Sq. Gardens in New York City. The $1.25 million generated from the shows broke the record set by The Rolling Stones in 1975.

1982, During a North American tour Queen appeared at the Coliseum in New Haven, Connecticut.

1983, Kajagoogoo sacked their lead singer Limahl who took up a solo career. The group scored the 1983 UK No.1 single 'Too Shy'.

1985, Canadian singer, guitarist Bryan Adams scored his first US No.1 album with 'Reckless.'

1985, 'Money for Nothing' by Dire Straits peaked at No.4 on the UK singles chart. Notable for its groundbreaking music video and a cameo appearance by Sting singing the song's falsetto introduction and backing chorus, "I want my MTV," who also co-wrote the song with Mark Knopfler. The video was also the first to be aired on MTV Europe when the network started on 1 August 1987.

1985, Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran was air lifted to safety when his boat 'Drum' overturned while racing off the English coast. Le Bon was trapped under the hull with five other crew members for twenty minutes, until being rescued by the Royal Navy.

1987, Wilson Pickett was found guilty by a New Jersey court of possessing a shotgun with intent to endanger life following his involvement in a fist fight in a bar.

1991, Luciano Pavarotti scored his third UK No.1 album with 'The Essential Pavarotti II'.

1992, Def Leppard kicked off the North American leg on their 248-date Seven Day Weekend world Tour at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

1993, The Dave Matthews Band played at The Flood Zone in Richmond, Virginia, the gig was recorded with some of tonight’s songs ending up on the bands first album ‘Remember Two Things.’

1997, Puff Daddy & the Family went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'No Way Out.'

1999, it was announced that Oasis rhythm guitarist Paul 'Bonehead' Arthur's had quit the band after finishing his guitar parts on the bands new album.

2002, Lisa Marie Presley married actor Nicolas Cage at a resort in Hawaii. The marriage was Presley's third. She was married previously to musician Danny Keough and pop star Michael Jackson. Cage filed for divorce four months later.

2005, James Blunt was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with ‘You're Beautiful’, Mariah Carey had the US No.1 with ‘We Belong Together’ and Axel F was at No.1 on the Australian singles chart with ‘Crazy Frog.’

2007, Anthony Wilson the UK music mogul behind some of Manchester's most successful bands died aged 57 after suffering from kidney cancer. The TV presenter and entrepreneur founded Factory records, the label behind New Order and the Happy Mondays was also famous for setting up the Hacienda nightclub in Manchester, England.

2007, Spice Girl Emma Bunton gave birth to a baby boy called Beau at London's private Portland Hospital. Bunton and her partner Jade Jones, a former member of defunct boy band Damage, had been together for eight years.

2008, US singer-songwriter Isaac Hayes died at his home in Memphis, Tennessee, at the age of 65. Police were called to his home after his wife found him unconscious. He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead. Hayes won an Oscar for the 1971 hit Theme From Shaft as was also known as the voice of Chef from the hit cartoon show, South Park. He was married four times and had 12 children.

2008, American singer-songwriter Katy Perry went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with ‘I Kissed a Girl’. The track was a worldwide hit topping the charts in over than 20 countries.

August 10th: Born on this day

1909, Born on this day, Leo Fender, inventor of The Telecaster and Stratocaster guitars. Died on 21st March 1991.

1928, Born on this day, Jimmy Dean, singer, (1961 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Big Bad John'. Went on to present a prime time variety show on US TV.

1929, Born on this day, American singer and entertainer Eddie Fisher, singer, (1953 UK No.1 single 'Outside Of Heaven', 1955 US No.6 single 'Heart').

1940, Born on this day, Bobby Hatfield, singer, The Righteous Brothers, (1965 UK & US No.1 single 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin', 1990 UK No.1 single 'Unchained Melody', first released in 1965). He died on 5th November 2003.

1943, Born on this day, James Griffin, guitar, vocals, Bread, (1970 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'Make It With You').

1946, Born on this day, Mick Clarke, The Rubettes, (1974 UK No.1 single 'Sugar Baby Love').

1947, Born on this day, Ian Anderson, flute, vocals, Jethro Tull, (1969 UK No.3 single 'Living In The Past').

1947, Born on this day, Ronnie Spector, singer, The Ronettes, (1963 US No.2 & UK No.4 single 'Be My Baby'). Married producer Phil Spector in 1968.

1948, Born on this day, Patti Austin, singer, (1983 US No.1 & UK No.11 single with James Ingram 'Baby Come To Me').

1949, Born on this day, Andy Cresswell-Davis, The Korgis (1980 UK No.5 single 'Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime').

1959, Born on this day, Mark Price, drummer, All About Eve, (1988 UK No.10 single 'Martha's Harbour'). Also worked with The Cure and Right Said Fred.

1961, Born on this day, Jon Farriss drummer, INXS, (1988 UK No.2 & US No.1 single 'Need You Tonight'). 1987 album 'Kick' has sold over 10m copies in the US alone and features four Top 10 singles; 'Need You Tonight,' 'Devil Inside', 'New Sensation,' and 'Never Tear Us Apart.'

1962, Born on this day, Julia Fordham, singer, songwriter, one time member of Mari Wilson's Wilsations and backing singer for Kim Wilde, (1988 UK No.27 single 'Happy Ever After').

1968, Born on this day, Leigh Marklew, bass, Terrorvision, (1999 UK No.5 single 'Tequila').

1968, Born on this day, Michael Bivins, New Edition (1983 UK No.1 single 'Candy Girl'), Bell Biv DeVoe, (1990 US No.3 single 'Do Me!).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2011 at 13:11
August 11th: On this Day

1956, Elvis Presley's double sided hit 'Don't Be Cruel / Hound Dog was released. The single went to No.1 on the US chart, where it stayed for 11 weeks - a record that would not be broken until 1992's Boyz II Men hit 'End of the Road'.

1962, Neil Sedaka started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Breaking Up Is Hard To Do', his first US No.1 as an artist. It reached No.7 on the UK chart.

1964, The Beatles started recording their fourth album (‘Beatles For Sale’, not yet titled), at EMI studios in London, England.

1964, The High Numbers, (later to become The Who), played at The Railway Hotel in Harrow, England. Just before the band were due on stage, Roger Daltry’s father-in law came into the venue and dragged the singer outside and hit him. The band started their set and Daltry appeared back on stage after the fight.

1966, At a press conference held at The Astor Towers Hotel in Chicago, John Lennon apologised for his remarks that The Beatles were “more popular than Jesus". Lennon told reporters “Look, I wasn’t saying The Beatles are better than God or Jesus, I said ‘Beatles’ because it’s easy for me to talk about The Beatles. I could have said ‘TV’ or ‘Cinema’, ‘Motorcars’ or anything popular and would have got away with it…”

1967, The Small Faces, The Move, Marmalade, Paul Jones, Pink Floyd, Amen Corner, Donovan, Zoot Money, Cream, Jeff Beck, John Mayall, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown all appeared at this years UK Reading festival. An advance 3 day ticket cost ÂŁ2. Arthur Brown's trademark flaming helmet burnt out of control and organiser Harold Pendleton's father-in-law had to douse the flames with a pint of beer.

1969, 350 special guests were invited to see Motown Records new signings The Jackson Five play at The Daisy Club in Beverly Hills.

1979, The Knack started a five-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Get The Knack'.

1979, Led Zeppelin played their last ever UK show when they appeared at Knebworth Park, England. Also on the bill, The New Barbarians, Todd Rundgren, Southside Johnny and the Ashbury Dukes, Chas and Dave and Fairport Convention.

1982, The Police appeared at the McGill Stadium, Montreal, Quebec, Canada on their Ghost In The Machine Tour.

1984, Ray Parker JR. started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with the theme from the film 'Ghostbusters'. Parker who had been a session guitarist for Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye was accused of plagiarizing the melody from Huey Lewis and the News song ‘I Want a New Drug’, resulting in Lewis suing Parker, the pair settled out of court in 1985.

1989, Three members of L.L. Cool J crew were arrested and charged with raping a 15 year-old girl. The incident took place after a concert when the girl had won a backstage pass on a radio contest.

1999, Kiss arrived on Hollywood Boulevard to unveil their star on The Walk Of Fame. The band had released over 30 albums and sold over 80 million records world-wide.

1999, Four music festivals took place in Cornwall, England for the full solar eclipse. James, The Levellers, Van Morrison, Kula Shaker and the Happy Mondays were all appearing at various events.

2000, Madonna gave birth to a baby boy Rocco Ritchie at The Cedars-Sinai Hospital Beverly Hills.

2001, Black Sabbath, Linkin Park, Slipknot and Marilyn Manson all appeared at the Ozzfest at PNC Bank Arts Centre, New Jersey.

2002, Nelly and Kelly Rowland started a seven week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Dilemma.' Also a No.1 UK hit.

2002, Bruce Springsteen started a two week run at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘The Rising’, the singers fifth US No.1. Also No.1 in the UK.

2008, Karl Wiosna from Graig, near Pontypridd in Wales had his stereo equipment and music collection destroyed after being served with a noise abatement notice, which he later admitted breaching. Environmental health officers were alerted by neighbours who complained about the unacceptable volume Wiosna was playing his Cher and U2 records. Two tape and record decks, a radio and CDs were seized and destroyed by the council, he was also fined ÂŁ265.

August 11th: Born on this day

1942, Born on this day, Mike Hugg, drums, Manfred Mann, (1964 UK & US No.1 single 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy').

1943, Born on this day, Denis Payton, sax, Dave Clark Five, 1964 UK No.1 single 'Glad All Over', 1965 US No.1 single 'Over And Over', plus over 15 other UK top 40 singles). Payton died on 17th December 2006.

1943, Born on this day, Jim Kale, Guess Who, (1970 US No.1 & UK No.19 single 'American Woman').

1948, Born on this day, Bill Hurd, The Rubettes, (1974 UK No.1 single 'Sugar Baby Love').

1949, Born on this day, Eric Carmen, singer, The Young Rascals, (1967 US No.1 and UK No.8 single 'Groovin'). The Raspberries, (1972 US No.5 single 'Go All The Way') solo, 1976 US No.2 single, 'All By Myself').

1950, Born on this day, Erik Braunn, Iron Butterfly, (1968 US No.14 single 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida'). He died on 25th July 2003 aged 52.

1954, Born on this day, Bryan Bassett, guitar, vocals, Wild Cherry, (1976 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Play That Funky Music').

1955, Born on this day, Joe Jackson, UK singer, songwriter, (1980 UK No.5 single 'It's Different For Girls' and 1982 US No.6 & UK No.7 single 'Steppin Out').

1959, Born on this day, Alan Frew, Glass Tiger, (1986 UK No.29 single 'Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone').

1960, Born on this day, Paul Gendler, Modern Romance (1982 UK No.4 single 'Best Years Of Our Lives').

1964, Born on this day, Hamish Seelochan, The Pasadenas, (1992 UK No.4 single 'I'm Doing Fine Now').

1970, Born on this day, Andy Bell, guitar, vocals, Ride, (1992 UK No.9 single 'Leave Them All Behind'). Also a member of Hurricane No.1, Bell joined Oasis in 1999.

1976, Born on this day, Ben Gibbard, singer with American band Death Cab for Cutie, 2008 US No.1 album ‘Narrow Stairs.’

1981, Born on this day, Sandi Thom, Scottish singer /songwriter, 2006 UK and Australian No.1 single ‘I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (with Flowers in My Hair
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2011 at 13:00
August 12th: On this Day

1960, Pete Best auditioned to become The Silver Beatles' drummer and was asked to travel to Hamburg in Germany for the bands next set of dates. Before leaving for Hamburg, The Silver Beatles changed their name to simply, "The Beatles".

1964, The Beatles first film ‘A Hard Days Night’ opened in 500 American cinemas to rave reviews.

1966, The Beatles performed two shows at the International Amphitheatre in Chicago, Illinois. This was the first stop on what would turn out to be The Beatles' final US tour. Support acts were the Remains, Bobby Hebb, Cyrkle, and the Ronettes.

1967, The Jimi Hendrix Experience appeared at The Ambassador Theatre, Washington D.C.

1968, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham played together for the first time when they rehearsed at a studio in Lisle Street in London’s West End. The first song they played was a version of ‘Train Kept A-Rollin.’

1970, Derek and the Dominoes appeared at the Speakeasy, London.

1970, Fleetwood Mac played the first of a five-night run at the Whisky A Go Go in Hollywood, California.

1971, John & Yoko donated ÂŁ1,000 to the Clyde Shipbuilders Scottish Union fighting fund who were refusing to stop work at the Glasgow site after being made redundant.

1971, During a UK tour Queen played at the Tregye Hotel in Truro, England.

1972, Alice Cooper was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'School's Out'. The singers only UK No.1, a No.7 hit on the US chart.

1973, The Eagles, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young and the Santa Monica Flyers all appeared at the Corral Club in Topanga, California.

1977, Henri Padovani guitarist with The Police quit the group after nine months leaving them a trio.

1978, The Commodores started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Three Times A Lady', also No.1 in the UK and becoming Motown's biggest British selling single. Lionel Richie wrote the song about his love for his wife, mother and grandmother hence 'Once, Twice, Three Times a Lady.'

1984, As The Olympic Games came to a close, Lionel Richie performed, 'All Night Long' live from Los Angeles to an estimated television audience of 2.6 billion people around the world.

1985, Kyu Sakamoto was killed in a plane crash when JAL Flight 123, a 747, crashed and burned on a thickly wooded mountain about 60 miles northwest of Tokyo. He was 43. He had the 1963 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Sukiyaki', the first Japanese artist to hit the top of the US singles chart.

1986, Prince started a run of five nights at Wembley Arena, London, his first UK shows for five years.

1988, Kiss played the first of two nights at The Ritz in New York City on their current 129 Crazy Nights world tour.

1989, Richard Marx scored his third US No.1 single with 'Right Here Waiting'.

1989, The two day Moscow Music Peace Festival was held at The Lenin Stadium in Moscow, Russia. Western Acts who appeared included Motley Crue, Ozzy Osbourne, Bon Jovi, Skid Row and The Scorpions. This was the first time that an audience had been allowed to stand up and dance at a stadium rock concert in the Soviet Union. Previous to this, all concerts had to be seated.

1991, Bryan Adams started the fourth of sixteen weeks at No.1 on the UK single chart with '(Everything I Do), I Do It For You'.

1996, The Spice Girls were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Wannabe', Los Del Rio were at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Macarena'.

1996, Alanis Morissette appeared at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, Buffalo, New York with Radiohead as support.

2000, Robbie Williams scored his third UK No.1 single with 'Rock DJ'.

2000, During an outdoor gig in Mancos, California as 38 Special were mid-set, the wind took hold of an overhead canopy and brought down ten tons of equipment onto the stage. The drum kit was completely crushed, but no one was seriously injured.

2001, Alicia Keys went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Fallin'.

2001, Atomic Kitten went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their debut release 'Right Now'. UK rappers So Solid Crew scored their first UK No.1 single with '21 Seconds.'

2003, Lee Ryan from Blue was arrested whilst driving a Porsche around central London and was charged with drink driving. Ryan had spent the night knocking back drinks at Browns night-club in Covent Garden with his cousin and a record company executive. After annoying others in the club with rowdiness, and his cousin's throwing up in the VIP area, bouncers threw Lee out. Police pulled the star over just after 4am on Tower Bridge Road and breath tests showed him to be twice over the legal drinking limit.

2006, Founding member of Destiny's Child, LeToya was No.1 on the US album chart with her debut solo album ‘LeToya.’ It was released six years after being dismissed from the group and staying away from the spotlight.

2007, UK singer, songwriter Kate Nash went to No.1 on the UK album chart with her debut album 'Made Of Bricks.'

2007, Swedish singer Robyn with Kleerup went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'With Every Heartbeat'.

2009, Guitarist Les Paul died in hospital in White Plains, New York at the age of 94 suffering from severe pneumonia. Paul is credited with developing one of the first solid-body electric guitars, which went on sale in 1952 and contributed to the birth of rock. He also developed other influential recording innovations such as multi-track recording and overdubbing. In the early ’50s, Paul and his wife Mary Ford had a string of hits including ‘Mockin’ Bird Hill,’ ‘How High the Moon,’ and ‘Vaya Con Dios.’

August 12th: Born on this day

1929, Born on this day, Buck Owens, Jr. American singer and guitarist, scored twenty number-one hits on the Billboard country music charts, pioneered what has come to be called the Bakersfield sound—a reference to Bakersfield, California. Died March 25th 2006.

1941, Born on this day, Craig Douglas, singer, 1959 UK No.1 single 'Only Sixteen 'plus nine other UK Top 40 hits.

1949, Born on this day, Mark Knopfler guitar, vocals, Dire Straits, (1985 US No.1 single 'Money For Nothing', 1986 UK No.2 single 'Walk Of Life',
1985 world-wide No.1 album 'Brothers In Arms'), member of Notting Hillbillies.

1950, Born on this day, Ronald David Mael, Sparks, (1974 UK No.2 single 'This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us').

1951, Born on this day, August Darnell, singer, Kid Creole And The Coconuts, (1982 UK No.2 single 'Annie I'm Not Your Daddy').

1953, Born on this day, Jerry Speiser, Men At Work, (1983 UK & US No.1 single 'Down Under').

1954, Born on this day, Pat Metheny, jazz rock guitarist, worked with David Bowie and Gary Burton. Recorded film soundtrack albums

1958, Born on this day, Jurgen Dehmel, Nena, (1984 UK No.1 & US No.2 single '99 Red Balloons').

1961, Born on this day, Roy Hay guitar, vocals, Culture Club, (1983 UK No.1 & 1984 US No.1 single 'Karma Chameleon' plus seven other UK top 10 singles').

1962, Born on this day, Bragi Olaffson, bass, The Sugarcubes, (1992 UK No.17 single 'Hit').

1963, Born on this day, Sir Mix-A-Lot, US rapper, (1992 US No.1 single 'Baby Got Back', a No.56 hit in the UK).

1968, Born on this day, Paul Tucker, Keyboards, Lighthouse Family, (1996 UK No.4 single 'Lifted' plus 9 other UK Top 40 singles).

1969, Born on this day, Tanita Tikaram, singer, songwriter, (1988 UK No.10 single 'Good Tradition').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2011 at 13:37
August 13th: On this Day

1952, The original version of 'Hound Dog' was recorded by Willie Mae (Big Mama) Thornton. It would become the first hit for the song-writing team of Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller and went on to top the Billboard R&B chart for seven weeks, selling nearly two million copies.

1964, Manfred Mann were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy', the bands first of three UK No.1's.

1964, The Supremes recorded 'Baby Love', the song went on to be the group's first UK No.1 and second US chart topper.

1965, Jefferson Airplane made their live debut at San Francisco's Matrix Club.

1965, Mike Smith, lead singer of The Dave Clark Five, suffered two broken ribs when he was pulled off the stage by fans. The group were in Chicago at the beginning of a US tour.

1965, The Beatles arrived at Kennedy International Airport for a tour of North America. The set list for the tour was ‘Twist and Shout’, ‘She's a Woman’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘Dizzy Miss Lizzie’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, ‘Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby’, ‘Can't Buy Me Love’, ‘Baby's in Black’, ‘Act Naturally’, ‘A Hard Day's Night’, ‘Help!’, ‘I'm Down’ and ‘I Wanna Be Your Man.’ The tour was not a happy one for The Beatles, John Lennon took to screaming off-microphone obscenities at the audiences.

1966, Lovin Spoonful started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Summer In The City', it made No.8 in the UK.

1966, 'Revolver' The Beatles seventh album release in three years started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK charts. It spent a total of 34 week's on the UK chart and was also a US No.1.

1967, Fleetwood Mac made their live debut when they appeared at the National Jazz and Blues Festival in Windsor. Also on the bill Jeff Beck, Cream, Small Faces, The Move, The Pink Floyd, Donovan and Chicken Shack.

1971, Saxophonist King Curtis Ousley was stabbed to death by a vagrant on the front steps of his New York home. Ousley had worked with John Lennon and also played on The Coasters 'Yakety Yak'.

1971, John Lennon flew from Heathrow Airport to New York, he never set foot on British soil again.

1971, Pink Floyd played their first ever Australian date when they appeared at the Festival Hall in Melbourne.

1976, The Clash played a private gig for the press at Chalk Farm rehearsal studios, London.

1977, Bachman Turner Overdrive split up. They had the 1974 US No.1 and UK No.2 hit 'You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet.'

1977, Yes scored their second UK No.1 album with 'Going For The One'.

1980, Four masked robbers broke in to Todd Rundgren's New York house and proceeded to steal Hi-Fi equipment and paintings after tying the musician up. It was reported that one of the intruders had been humming his hit 'I Saw The Light'.

1982, American soul singer Joe Tex died at his home in Navasota, Texas, following a heart attack, just five days after his 49th birthday. Had nine US Top 40 hits including the 1972 US No.2 single 'I Gotcha'.

1982, Major American record companies including CBS Atlantic and Warner Brothers all made staff cut-backs as the industry plunged into 'the worst shape in its history'.

1982, During a North American tour Queen appeared at the Poplar Creek Music Theater, Hoffman Estates in Illinois.

1983, KC and the Sunshine Band were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Give It Up'. The American disco group's only UK chart topper spent three weeks at No.1

1988, During their 232 date Hysteria world tour, Def Leppard played the first of two nights at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Denver, Colorado.

1992, Neil Diamond played the first of six sold-out nights at Madison Square Garden in New York. Diamond would bring in over $40 million from touring this year, the second highest in the music industry.

1994, Members from Oasis and The Verve were arrested after smashing up a hotel bar and breaking into a church to steal communion wine. Both bands had been appearing at Hulsfred Festival in Sweden.

1994, Woodstock '94 was held in Saugerties, New York, attended by over 350,000 fans, the festival featured Green Day, Nine Inch Nails, Aerosmith and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Tickets cost $135.00, (ÂŁ89.00).

1999, Ex Guns N' Roses member Slash was arrested accused of assaulting his girlfriend at his Sunset Boulevard recording studio by Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies. He was released on bail.

1999, Mick Jagger's marriage to model Jerry Hall was been declared null and void at the High Court in London. Neither Jagger nor Hall were present for the 30-minute hearing before Mr Justice Connell. After hearing evidence on behalf of Hall the judge ruled their "marriage" in Bali in 1990 was not valid either in Indonesia or under English law, and a decree of nullity was granted to Hall. The annulment avoided what had been expected to be a long and costly court battle, in which Ms Hall, 43, was reportedly seeking a ÂŁ30m share of Jagger's wealth.

2000, Melanie C went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Turn To You'. It gave the former Spice Girl her second UK No.1.

2002, Adam Ant pleaded guilty to threatening drinkers at The Prince Of Wales Pub in London in January of this year. The former 1980's pop star had returned to the bar with a starting pistol after being refused entry. He had also thrown a car alternator through the window of the pub.

2004, 'Angels' by Robbie Williams was voted the best single which should have been a number one but never was, in a poll for music channel VH1. The ballad, which reached No.4 in December 1997, beat Savage Garden's ‘Truly, Madly, Deeply’ and Aerosmith's 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing.' Other songs said to have deserved a number one included Madonna with ‘Ray of Light’, ‘Beautiful Stranger’, ‘Crazy For You’ and ‘Material Girl’, Bon Jovi with ‘Always’ and Oasis with ‘Wonderwall’ and ‘Live Forever’. Sir Cliff Richard's hit 'Millennium Prayer' was voted the worst number one single of all time.

2007, Amy Winehouse pulled out of two Rolling Stones gigs in Hamburg Germany citing exhaustion, British group Starsailor replaced Winehouse for the shows.

August 13th: Born on this day

1940, Born on this day, John Stokes, The Bachelors, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Diane', plus 16 other UK Top 40 singles).

1949, Born on this day, Cliff Fish, bass, Paper Lace, (1974 UK No.1 single 'Billy Don't Be A Hero', 1974 US No.1 single 'The Night Chicago Died').

1951, Born on this day, Dan Fogelberg, US singer songwriter, (1979 album 'Phoenix'). Worked with Joe Walsh, Jackson Browne, Randy Newman. Fogelberg died on 16th Dec 2007 at his home in Maine at the age of 56 of prostate cancer.

1958, Born on this day, Feargal Sharkey, singer, The Undertones, (1980 UK No.9 single 'My Perfect Cousin'). Solo, (1985 UK No.1 single 'A Good Heart', a song written by Maria Mckee).

1959, Born on this day, Mark Nevin, singer, songwriter, Fairground Attraction, (1988 UK No.1 single 'Perfect').

1959, Born on this day, Michael Bradley, bass, The Undertones, (1980 UK No.9 single 'My Perfect Cousin').

1959, Born on this day, Danny Bonaduce, The Partridge Family, (1970 US No.1 single 'I Think I Love You', 1972 UK No.3 single 'Breaking Up Is Hard To Do'). Star of VH1 show ‘My Reality Breakdown.’

1982, Born on this day, LeAnn Rimes, US singer, (1997 US No.3 & 1998 UK No.7 single, 'How Do I Live' spent 30 weeks on the UK top 40 singles chart the first record, to do so since 'Relax' by Frankie Goes To Hollywood).

1984, Born on this day, Diamond Blue Smith, singer, Pretty Ricky, (2007 US No.1 album ‘Late Night Special’).

1984, Born on this day, James Morrison, UK singer, songwriter, and guitarist, (2006 UK No.1 album 'Undiscovered').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2011 at 12:11
August 14th: On this Day

1958, Elvis Presley's mother Gladys died. At her funeral two days later Presley was so overcome with grief he was unable to stand and had to be supported. Over 500 police were at the service to keep the gigantic crowd at bay.

1962, Unhappy with drummer Pete Best's role in The Beatles Brian Epstein and the other three members decide to sack him. Best played his last gig the following night at The Cavern, Liverpool. Ringo Starr who was nearing the end of a three-month engagement with Rory Storm & the Hurricanes at a Butlin's holiday camp received a telephone call from John Lennon, asking him to join The Beatles. Ringo gave Rory Storm three days notice and on August 18, appeared as a member of The Beatles for the first time.

1965, Sonny & Cher started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Got You Babe'.

1965, The Beatles taped an appearance for CBS-TV's ‘The Ed Sullivan Show’ at Studio 50, New York City. They performed ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘I'm Down’, ‘Act Naturally’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, ‘Yesterday’, and ‘Help!’ Also today, The Beatles fifth album 'Help!' started a nine-week run at No.1 on the UK charts.

1966, Little Anthony & The Imperials, (Steve Van Zandt’s band), The Shadows and The Castiles (with Bruce Springsteen on vocals) all appeared at the Surf ‘n See Club in Seabright New Jersey.

1967, All UK offshore pirate radio stations were closed down when the marine broadcasting act came into force. Radio Caroline continued to broadcast until March 68.

1968, 'Fire' by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. As part of his act Brown would perform the song on stage with his hat set alight!

1970, Stephen Stills was arrested on suspected drugs charges while staying at a San Diego Hotel after being found crawling along a corridor in an incoherent state. Still's was later freed on bail.

1970, The first day of the three day UK Yorkshire Folk, Blues & Jazz Festival at Krumlin, Yorkshire took place featuring Atomic Rooster, Pink Floyd, (who didn't appear after being fog bound at Paris Airport), The Kinks, Elton John, Mungo Jerry, Yes, Alan Price, Georgie Fame, Juicy Lucy, Pretty Things and The Groundhogs. Weekend tickets, ÂŁ3.

1970, Status Quo appeared at the Magic Circus, Barnstaple, Devon, England.

1971, The Moody Blues went to No.1 on the UK chart with their sixth album 'Every Good Boy Deserves A Favour'.

1971, During a UK tour Queen played at the NCOs' Mess at RAF Culdrose in Culdrose England.

1976, Funded by a ÂŁ400 loan 'So It Goes' by Nick Lowe became the first record released on Stiff Records. Lowe played all the instruments the single cost ÂŁ45 to record.

1985, Michael Jackson won a bid over Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney to secure the ATV Music Publishing catalogue. At $47.5m he gained the rights to more than 250 songs written by Lennon and McCartney. McCartney had been negotiating with Yoko Ono, who had decided to withdraw her side of the deal because of ‘astrological’ reasons.

1988, Lead singer, poet and frontman of Hawkwind Robert Calvert died of a heart attack. He was a member of Hawkwind from 1972-1979 during which time he co-wrote their hit single 'Silver Machine' and directed their Space Ritual Tour.

1988, Guitarist Roy Buchanan died after hanging himself by his own shirt in Fairfax County Jail, Virginia after being arrested for drunkenness. Buchanan released over 15 solo albums; Jeff Beck dedicated the song 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers' to Buchanan in 1975 on his Blow by Blow album.

1992, Tony Williams lead singer with The Platters died in his sleep of emphysema aged 64. He sang most of the group’s hits up until 1961 when he was replaced by Sonny Turner. Had the 1959 UK & US No.1 single 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes'.

1993, Freddie Mercury had his first solo UK No.1 single with 'Living On My Own'. The song had been a minor hit in 1985 when released from his solo album Mr. Bad Guy, this remixed version was reissued.

1999, Ronan Keating had the UK No.1 single with 'When You Say Nothing At All'. The debut solo single from the Boyzone lead singer. The song was from the film Notting Hill.

2001, A pizza-stained piece of paper signed by three of the four Beatles sold for $48,000 (ÂŁ17,441) to an anonymous collector at an auction in Melbourne. John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison all signed the paper during their 1964 tour of Australia. Drummer Ringo Starr had laryngitis and was not on the tour. A fan managed to get the autographs while the band was staying in a hotel in Adelaide.

2002, Dave Williams lead singer of US heavy rock band Drowning Pool was found dead on the band’s tour bus during Ozzy Osbournes Ozzfest tour in Manassas, Virginia. The autopsy concluded that he suffered from a form of heart disease. The bands debut album, Sinner, had sold over 1 million copies in the US since its release in June 2001.

2003, One True Voice the boyband formed from the ITV1 pop talent show Popstars: The Rivals split up. The group were formed alongside Girls Aloud after winning their places in the Popstars: the Rivals series. One True Voice were later voted Britain's worst group in a poll just a day after their tour was cancelled due to poor ticket sales.

2005, James Blunt topped both the UK singles chart (with 'You're Beautiful'), and album charts ('Back to Bedlam'), for a fifth week in a row, a feat last achieved by Celine Dion. Her single ‘Think Twice’ and album ‘Colour Of My Love’ topped both charts simultaneously for five weeks in 1995.

2005, Babyshambles frontman Pete Doherty was forced to endure an all-body strip search at Gardermoen Airport in Norway after being held by customs officers for three hours while they ensured he was carrying no drugs.

2005, Faith Hill was at No.1 on the US chart with 'Fireflies', Hill's third consecutive album to debut at number 1 on both the country and Billboard album charts.

2006, Boy George was seen sweeping streets in New York as part of a five-day community service sentence. The former Culture Club frontman was moved into a fenced-off area after only 30 minutes after he was mobbed by the media. The 45-year-old singer was found guilty of wasting police time earlier this year and was threatened with jail if he failed to complete the court-imposed sentence.

2008, Lita Roza died in Liverpool, England. Had the 1953 No.1 hit with her version on the of Patti Page hit ‘How Much Is That Doggie In The Window?’ Roza was the first British female singer to top the UK singles charts.

2009, George Michael was arrested and held on suspicion of driving under the influence of drink or drugs after his Land Rover was in collision with a lorry on the A34 in Berkshire. The singer was later released without charge.

August 14th: Born on this day

1941, Born on this day, David Crosby, The Byrds, Crosby Stills Nash & Young. (1969 UK No.17 single 'Marrakesh Express', 1970 US No.11 single 'Woodstock', 1970 US No.1 album 'Deja Vu', 1975 US No. 6 solo album 'Wind On The Water').

1942, Born on this day, Lionel Morton, The Four Pennies, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Juliet').

1946, Born on this day, Larry Graham, bass guitar, Sly and The Family Stone, (1971 US No.1 & 1972 UK No.15 single 'Family Affair'). Formed Graham Central Station.

1947, Born on this day, George Newsome, Climax Blues Band, (1976 UK No.10 and 1977 US No.3 single 'Couldn't Get It Right').

1947, Born on this day, Maddy Prior, singer, Steeleye Span (1975 UK No.5 single 'All Around My Hat'). Solo.

1951, Born on this day, Slim Dunlap, The Replacements, (1984 album 'Let It Be').

1956, Born on this day, Sharon Bryant, Atlantic Starr, (1987 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Always').

1961, Born on this day, Sarah Brightman, singer, actress, (1978 UK No. 6 single with Hot Gossip, 'I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper', 1986 UK No.3 single with Cliff Richard, 'All I Ask Of You').

1963, Born on this day, Jez Willis, Utah Saints, (1992 UK No. 4 single ‘Something Good’).

1965, Born on this day, Mark Collins guitar, The Charlatans, (1990 UK No.9 single 'The Only One I Know', 1996 UK No.3 single 'One To Another', plus 3 UK No.1 albums).

1966, Born on this day, Tanya Donelly singer, guitarist, Throwing Muses, Breeders, (Belly, 1993 UK No.32 single 'Feed The Tree'). Solo

1970, Born on this day, Kevin Cadogan, Third Eye Blind, (1997 US No.4 & UK No. 33 single 'Semi-Charmed Life').

1974, Born on this day, Ana Matronic, (Ana Lynch), vocals, Scissor Sisters, (2004 UK No.1 self-titled album, 2004 UK No. 12 single ‘Laura’).

1977, Born on this day, Ed Harcourt, UK singer, songwriter, (2003 UK No.39 album 'From Every Sphere').
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 19>