Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On This Day(In Music )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2011 at 13:20
August 15th: On this Day

1960, Elvis Presley started a five week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'It's Now Or Never', also No.1 in the UK. The song which was based on the Italian song, 'O Sole Mio', gave Presley his first post-army No.1.

1964, Actor and singer Dean Martin went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Everybody Loves Somebody', it made No.11 on the UK chart.

1965, The Beatles set a new world record for the largest attendance at a pop concert when they played in front of 55,600 fans at Shea Stadium in New York City. Sharing the bill with The Beatles; Brenda Holloway, The King Curtis Band, The Young Rascals and Sounds Incorporated. The Beatles were paid $160,000 for the show, the set list: ‘Twist and Shout’, ‘She's a Woman’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘Dizzy Miss Lizzie’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, ‘Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby’, ‘Can't Buy Me Love’, ‘Baby's In Black’, ‘Act Naturally’, ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’, ‘A Hard Day's Night’, ‘Help!’, and ‘I'm Down’. Two of the Rolling Stones were among the audience, Mick Jagger and Keith Richard and later that evening; Bob Dylan visited The Beatles at their hotel.

1966, During a US tour The Beatles appeared at the D.C. Stadium in Washington DC to over 32,000 fans. Tickets cost $3. Five members of the Ku Klux Klan, led by the Imperial Wizard of Maryland, picketed the concert.

1967, Fleetwood Mac appeared at the Marquee Club London, England.

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at the Hemisfair Arena in San Antonio. Jethro Tull and Sweet Smoke were also on the bill. During the show Zeppelin received abuse from locals due to the length of their hair.

1969, Woodstock Festival was held on Max Yasgur's 600 acre farm in Bethel outside New York. Attended by over 400,000 people, the event featured, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Cocker, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Santana, The Who, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Band, Canned Heat, Joan Baez, Melanie, Ten Years After, Sly and the Family Stone, Johnny Winter, Jefferson Airplane, Ravi Shanker, Country Joe and the Fish, Blood Sweat and Tears, Arlo Guthrie, and Joe Cocker. During the three days there were three deaths, two births and four miscarriages. Joni Mitchell was booked to appear but had to pull out due to being booked for a TV show, wrote the song 'Woodstock.'

1970, Derek and the Dominoes appeared at Tofts Club, Folkestone, England.

1971, US singer Thomas Wayne was killed in a car crash aged 29. Had the 1959 US No.5 single 'Tragedy.'

1979, The futuristic satire film 'Americathon' premiered in Los Angeles featuring Meat Loaf. The soundtrack included songs by The Beach Boys, Nick Lowe and Elvis Costello.

1981, Diana Ross and Lionel Richie started a nine week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Endless Love', a No.7 in the UK. The song was the title from a film starring Brooke Shields.

1982, During a North American tour Queen played at the Civic Centre, St. Paul, Minnesota.

1987, Madonna kicked off a UK tour at Roundhay Park in Leeds.

1987, Michael Jackson had his third UK No.1 with the single ' I Just Can't Stop Loving You', a duet with Siedah Garrett. It was originally intended to be a duet between Jackson and either Barbra Streisand or Whitney Houston. Session singer Siedah Garrett also worked with Madonna.

1991, Paul Simon played a free concert in New York's Central Park before an audience of three quarters of a million people.

1992, Jamaican singer-song writer Jackie Edwards died. Edwards worked as a singer, songwriter for Island Records. He wrote both ‘Keep On Running’ and ‘Somebody Help Me’, that became No.1 singles for The Spencer Davis Group as well as releasing his own albums.

1992, Boyz II Men started a 13 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'End Of The Road' the group's first US No.1. Taken from the Eddie Murphy film 'Boomerang', it broke the 36-year-old record held by Elvis for the longest run at No.1

1992, INXS went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Welcome To Whoever You Are', their first UK No.1 album.

1993, U2 played Cardiff Arms National Park in Wales on their 'Zooropa' tour 93.

1995, The Dublin hotel owned by U2 'The Clarence' was damaged by a fire which took over three hours to control. Also 'The Kitchen' nightclub in the same building was affected by the fire and was evacuated.

1998, Boyzone scored their fourth UK No.1 single with 'No Matter What', making them the first Irish group to have four No.1 singles. Also Boyzone became the first act in history to reach the Top 5 with their first 12 single releases. The song came from the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical 'Whistle Down The Wind'.

1999, Westlife were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'If I Let You Go'. It became the second of the band's fourteen UK No.1 hit singles.

2000, David Bowie and his wife Iman celebrated the birth of their first child a baby girl named Alexandria Zahra Jones.

2002, A memorial to John Lennon was unveiled in the remote Scottish village of Durness where Lennon had spent his holidays from age seven to fifteen. The lyrics from 'In My Life' had been inscribed on three stones.

2004, Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts was being treated for throat cancer after being diagnosed with the disease in June.

2004, Hip Hop/Garage trio 3 Of A Kind went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Baby Cakes', their debut single.

2007, Sixteen solo John Lennon albums were made available to download on iTunes for the first time. A deal was approved by the late Beatle's widow Yoko Ono following a lengthy legal battle between the band's label Apple Corps and Apple Inc, which owned Tunes.

2008, US record producer Jerry Wexler, who influenced the careers of singers including Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles and Bob Dylan, died at his home in Sarasota, Florida aged 91. Wexler produced the Aretha Franklin hit Respect, the Wilson Pickett song, In the Midnight Hour and helped Bob Dylan win his first Grammy award by producing the 1979 album, Slow Train Coming. He also coined the term ‘rhythm and blues’ while writing for Billboard magazine in the late 1940s.

2009, U2's first UK gig on their current tour broke the attendance record for a Wembley Stadium concert. Over 88,000 people attended the show.

2009, Fabolous was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Loso's Way’, the rappers fifth studio album.

August 15th: Born on this day

1896, Born on this day, Leon Theremin, Russian inventor. Most famous for his invention of the theremin, one of the first electronic musical instruments. He first performed the theremin with the New York Philharmonic in 1928. He died on 3rd November 1993.

1933, Born on this day, Bill Pinkney, The Drifters, (1960 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Save The Last Dance For Me').

1933, Born on this day, Floyd Ashman, The Tams, (1971 UK No.1 single 'Hey Girl Don't Bother Me'.)

1933, Born on this day, Bobby Helms, American country music singer best known for his 1957 hit, ‘Jingle Bell Rock’. Died of emphysema at his home in Martinsville, Indiana. He was 63.

1938, Born on this day, Stix Nesbert Hooper, The Crusaders, (1979 UK No.5 & US No.36 single 'Street Life').

1942, Born on this day, Pete York, Spencer Davis Group (1966 UK No.1 single 'Keep On Running').

1950, Born on this day, Tommy Aldridge, drums, Whitesnake, (1987 US No.1 & UK No.9 single 'Here I Go Again').

1961, Born on this day, Matt Johnson, singer, songwriter, The The, (1993 UK No.35 single 'Slow Emotion Replay').

1962, Born on this day, Marshall Schofield, The Fall, (1987 UK No.30 single 'There's A Ghost In My House').

1967, Born on this day, MCA (Adam Yauch) The Beastie Boys, (1987 US No.7 & UK No.11 single 'You Gotta Fight For Your Right To Party', 1987 US No.1 and UK No.7 album 'Licence To Ill', plus 3 other US No.1 albums).

1972, Born on this day, Mike Graham, vocals, Boyzone, (1996 UK No.1 single 'Words' plus 15 other Top 5 singles and 4 UK No.1 albums).

1974, Born on this day, Simon Dawbarn, vocals, 911, (1998 UK No.2 single 'More Than A Woman').

1984, Born on this day, David Welsh, guitarist, The Fray. 2009 US No.1 self titled album.

1989, Born on this day, Joe Jonas, American singer and actor, Jonas Brothers, 2009 US No.1 album ‘Lines, Vines and Trying Times’.
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Sponsored Links

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2011 at 13:31
August 16th: On this Day

1938, American blues musician Robert Johnson died (probably poisoned by a jealous husband) at the age of 27 at a country crossroads near Greenwood, Mississippi. His recordings from 1936–1937 have influenced generations of musicians including Muddy Waters, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Johnny Winter, Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton.

1962, Little Stevie Wonder, (aged 12), released his first single, 'I Call It Pretty Music, (But The Old People Call It The Blues)', the single featured Marvin Gaye on drums.

1962, Brian Epstein told Pete Best that the other Beatles wanted him out of the group, and that he was being replaced. Epstein then asked Best to perform with The Beatles that night at the Riverpark Ballroom in Chester, Cheshire. Pete Best does not show up, drummer Johnny Hutchinson of The Big Three filled in the temporary vacancy.

1965, David Jones' official stage name became David Bowie.

1966, During a US tour The Beatles appeared at the John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia playing their set during huge electric storm.

1966, The Byrds played the fist of two nights at the Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, California.

1968, The Jackson Five made their formal debut with Diana Ross and The Supremes at the Great Western Forum, California.

1968, Working at Abbey Road studios, The Beatles recorded 14 takes of the new George Harrison song ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’, taking the song from its early acoustic version into an electric version.

1968, Bruce Springsteen’s new band Earth made their live debut at the Off Broad Street Coffee House in Red Bank, New Jersey, admission was 75c. The lineup of the group consisted of Springsteen (guitars & vocals), John Graham (bass), Michael Burke (drums) and ‘Flash Craig’ (organ). The group only had a 6-month existence.

1969, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young supported by Joni Mitchell appeared at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago, Illinois.

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at the Convention Hall in Asbury Park with Joe Cocker as support. Zeppelin had been asked to perform at Woodstock but due to this gig commitment were unable to attend. And down the road Bruce Springsteen’s band Child played the first of two shows over two days at the Student Prince, Ashbury Park. Springsteen was also unable to attend Woodstock due to these gigs.

1970, This week's UK Top 5 singles: No.5, Free, 'All Right Now', No.4, Shirley Bassey, 'Something', No.3, Hotlegs, 'Neanderthal Man', No.2, The Kinks, 'Lola' and No.1, Elvis Presley, 'The Wonder Of You', (his 16th UK No.1).

1970, The final day of the three day UK Yorkshire Folk, Blues & Jazz Festival at Krumlin, Yorkshire took place featuring The Kinks, Mungo Jerry, Yes, Ginger Bakers Air Force and Edgar Winter. Weekend tickets, £3.

1975, Peter Gabriel announced he was leaving Genesis to go solo.

1975, The Stylistics were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Can't Give You Anything (But My Love)', the Philadelphian soul group's only UK No.1.

1976, Cliff Richard set out on a tour of Russia, starting with a night at the Hall Of The October Revolution in Leningrad.

1977, Elvis Presley was found dead lying on the floor in his bathroom by his girlfriend Ginger Alden, he had been seated on the toilet reading 'The Scientific Search For Jesus'. He died of heart failure at the age of 42. His first record for RCA, ‘Heartbreak Hotel’, was also his first US No.1. He starred in 31 films. Elvis holds the record for the most entries on the US Hot 100 chart with 154. Elvis became the first rock 'n' roll artist to be honoured by the US Postal Service with a stamp. In 1960, after completing his national service and flying back to America, he stepped on British soil for the first and only time in his life when the plane carrying him stopped for refuelling at Prestwick Airport, Scotland.

1977, Manchester punk band The Buzzcocks signed to EMI's United Artists label.

1980, During a North American tour Queen appeared at the Civic Centre, Charleston, South Carolina.

1981, U2 played at Slane Castle in Dublin, Ireland.

1986, Madonna started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Papa Don't Preach.' The singers fourth US No.1, & No.1 in the UK. Also on this day Madonna went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'True Blue'.

1988, Kiss played at the Marquee Club in London, England on their current 129-date Crazy Nights world tour.

1997, Pakistani singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan died aged 48. He had recorded with Bruce Springsteen Eddie Vedder and Peter Gabriel.

1997, On the 20th anniversary of Elvis Presley's death over 30,000 fans descended on Memphis Tennessee for a 10-minute mourning circuit circling his grave. A poll found that almost a third of the fans were keeping an eye out for him in the crowd.

1997, Will Smith started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Men In Black' taken from the film of the same name. The song won Smith a Grammy in 1997 for Best Rap Solo Performance.

1997, Blur, Prodigy, Beck, Kula Shaker, Dodgy, Foo Fighters, Placebo, James, Ash, Dodgy and Gene all appeared at the two day V97 UK festival in Chelmsford and Leeds, weekend tickets, £50.

2000, Alan Caddy guitarist with The Tornadoes died. (1962 UK & US No.1 single 'Telstar'. The first major hit from a UK act on the American chart). Caddy also played on sessions and worked on arrangements for Spencer Davis Group, Kiki Dee, Pretty Things and Dusty Springfield.

2005, Madonna suffered three cracked ribs, a broken collarbone and a broken hand in a horse-riding accident on her country estate. The accident happened when she fell off a new horse in the grounds of her Ashcombe House on the border of Wiltshire and Dorset on her 47th birthday. The singer was treated at hospital in Salisbury, 90 miles (150 kilometres) south-west of London.

2005, P Diddy appeared on the US TV Today Show and announced that he was altering his stage name again, dropping the "P." and referring to himself simply as "Diddy." The name change to Diddy upset Richard "Diddy" Dearlove, a London based DJ who took out court proceedings against P Diddy over the use of the name. He won when an out of court settlement of £110,000 was agreed and as a result, Combs is no longer be able to use the name Diddy in the UK.

2007, A fan of the 1980s pop band Wham! was silenced after becoming the first noise nuisance to be prosecuted by Newcastle city council's night watch team. Brian Turner had tormented neighbours by playing their hit song ‘Last Christmas’ all night at full volume from 1am onwards. Magistrates fined Turner, of Sandyford, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, £200 and ordered him to pay £215 costs.

August 16th: Born on this day

1915, Born on this day, Al Hibbler, (1955 UK No.2 & US No.3 single 'Unchained Melody').

1945, Born on this day, Kevin Ayers, singer, songwriter, founder member of Soft Machine, (1970 UK No.18 album, 'Third').

1945, Born on this day, Gary Loizzo, American Breed, (1967 US No.5 & UK No. 24 single 'Bend Me, Shape Me').

1946, Born on this day, Gordon Fleet, The Easybeats, (1966 UK No.6 & 1967 US No. 16 single 'Friday On My Mind').

1948, Born on this day, Barry Hay, Golden Earring, (1974 UK No.7 & US 13 single 'Radar Love').

1949, Born on this day, Scott Asheton, drums, Iggy Pop And The Stooges, (1973 album 'Raw Power').

1953, Born on this day, James Taylor, Kool & The Gang, (1981 US No.1 & UK No.7 single, Celebration. 1984 UK No.2 single 'Joanna', and over 15 other top 40 hits).

1957, Born on this day, Tim Farriss, guitar, INXS, (1988 UK No.2 & US No.1 single 'Need You Tonight'). 1987 album 'Kick' has sold over 10m copies in the US alone and features four Top 10 singles; 'Need You Tonight,' 'Devil Inside', 'New Sensation,' and 'Never Tear Us Apart.'

1958, Born on this day, Madonna, (Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone), singer, actress, (first hit 1984 UK No.6 single 'Holiday', 1984 US No.1 'Like A Virgin', first UK No.1 1985 'Into The Groove', plus 6 other UK No.1's & over 10 US No.1 singles and over 30 other top 40 hits).

1964, Born on this day, Matt Lukin, bass, Mudhoney, (1991 UK No.60 single 'Let It Slide').

1967, Born on this day, MC. Remedee, Cookie Crew, (1988 UK No.5 single 'Rock Da House').

1968, Born on this day, LL Cool J, (1995 US No.3 single 'Hey Lover', 1997 UK No.1 single 'Ain't Nobody' and 2000 US No.1 album 'G.O.A.T.).

1972, Born on this day, Emily Erwin, singer, Dixie Chicks, (1999 UK No.26 single, 'There's Your Trouble', 2000 single 'Cowboy Take Me Away').

1980, Born on this day, Venessa Carlton, (2002 UK No.6 single 'A Thousand Miles').

1980, Born on this day, Bob Hardy, bass, Franz Ferdinand, (winners of the 2004 Mercury Music Prize for their self-titled debut album).

August 16th: I knew the bride

1983, Paul Simon married actress Carrie Fisher.

1985, Madonna married actor Sean Penn in Malibu. Madonna filed for divorce the following year.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2011 at 16:31
August 17th: On this Day

1955, Elvis Presley released his first number 1 hit, ‘I Forgot to Remember to Forget / Mystery Train’. It hit the top of the country charts several months later and stayed there for 5 weeks.

1960, The Beatles begin their first Hamburg engagement at the Indra Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, West Germany, playing the first of 48 nights at the Club. The owner, Bruno Koschmider, asked The Beatles to "Mach Shau", or really put on a show, which led to the band screaming, shouting, and leaping about the stage and sometimes playing lying on the floor. John Lennon once appeared wearing only his underwear and on another occasion, wearing a toilet seat around his neck. The Beatles lodged in a single room behind the screen of a nearby movie house.

1963, Rory Storm And The Hurricanes, Gus Travis And The Raincoats and Johnny Sandon And The Remo 4 all appeared at the Royal Lido, Prestatyn, Wales, in a Merseybeat package show. Tickets 5 shillings, ($0.70).

1964, Glasgow council in Scotland announced that all boys and men with Beatle styled haircuts would have to wear bathing caps after a committee was told that hair from ‘Beatle-cuts’ was clogging the pools filters.

1965, The Byrds were forced to cancel a concert during their UK tour at The Guildhall, Portsmouth when only 250 of the 4,000 tickets had been sold.

1966, During a North American tour The Beatles played two shows at Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Canada. The attendance for each show was 18,000.

1968, The Doors started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Waiting For The Sun'.

1968, The Rascals (formally the Young Rascals), started a five week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'People Got To Be Free'. The group had thirteen US top 40 hits.

1969, The final day of the three day Woodstock festival took place at Max Yasgur's farm in Bethel, New York. Acts who appeared included Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Ten Years After, John Sebastian, Sha Na Na, Joe Cocker, Country Joe and the Fish, The Band, Ten Years After, Johnny Winter and Paul Butterfield Blues Band. Over 186,000 tickets had been sold but on the first day the flimsy fences and ticket barriers had come down. Organisers announced the concert would be a free event, prompting thousands more to head for the concert. There were two deaths - a teenager was killed by a tractor as he lay in his sleeping bag and another died from a drugs overdose.

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at Oakland Musical Theatre in Wallingford, Connecticut.

1971, Johnny Cash played the first of 3 nights at The Kings Hall, Belle Vue, Manchester.

1973, Former Temptations singer Paul Williams was found dead in his car, after shooting himself. He owed $80000 in taxes and his celebrity boutique business had failed.

1974, Eric Clapton started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with '461 Ocean Boulevard', a No.3 hit in the UK.

1974, UK group Paper Lace scored their only US No.1 single with 'The Night Chicago Died', it made No.3 in the UK.

1979, The New York Post reported that Anita Pallenberg (the wife of Keith Richards) was linked to a witches coven in South Salem, New York where Richards owned a house. A policeman claimed he was attacked by a flock of black-hooded, caped people and a local youth claimed he had been invited by Pallenburg to take part in ‘pot smoking sex orgies’. Locals also claimed they found ‘ritualistic stakes’ and small animals that had been ‘sacrificed’ near the house.

1987, Session drummer Gary Chester died of cancer. He had been a member of The Coasters and played on many major hits for other acts including: 'Brown Eyed Girl' 'Under The Boardwalk' 'Walk On By', 'It's My Party.'

1991, Nirvana shot the video for ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ at GMT Studios in Culver City, California, costing less than $50,000 to make, the shoot features real Nirvana fans as the audience.

1995, Depeche Mode singer Dave Gahan was rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre after an apparent suicide attempt. Police had found him at his Los Angeles home with a two-inch laceration on his wrist.

1998, Carlos Santana received a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame.

1999, Former Bay City Rollers drummer Derek Longmuir appeared at the Edinburgh Sheriff Court accused of child porn and drugs offences. Longmuir, 48, denied the charges. He was later sentenced to 300 hours community service.

1999, Led Zeppelin topped a chart of Britain's most bootlegged musicians, compiled by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), after identifying 384 bootleg titles featuring Led Zeppelin performances. The bootleg chart was complied from the BPI's archive of some 10,000 recordings seized over the past 25 years. The Beatles, came in second with 320 entries, other acts listed included The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and Pink Floyd.

2002, Darius was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Colourblind'. The third "Pop Idol" finalist to get a number one. He'd originally lost out on "Popstars", failing to get a place in the group Hear'Say, and then came third in "Pop Idol".

2002, Nelly featuring Kelly Rowland held the No.1 position on the US singles chart with 'Dilemma'. The UK No.1 album was 'By The Way' by The Red Hot Chili Peppers and the US No.1 album was 'The Rising' by Bruce Springsteen.

2002, Travis, Alanis Morissette, Nickelback, Supergrass, Elvis Costello, The Bluetones, Mull Historical Society, Badly Drawn Boy and The Chemical Brothers all appeared at the UK festival V2002 in Chelmsford, England.

2003, Eva Cassidy started a two week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘American Tune’ the singers third UK No.1 album.

2004, A report showed how touts were now using eBay to sell tickets for sold-out concerts. It said the touts were not breaking the law by using auction sites on the internet, it showed tickets for Madonna’s Wembley gig worth £150 were for sale at £350 and a pair of tickets to see The White Stripes worth £90 were currently on eBay for £130.

2007, High School Musical 2 premiered on the US Disney Channel and Family Channel. Watched by a total of 17.2 million viewers in the United States, making it the highest rated basic cable broadcast in U.S. history.

2008, Jackson Browne was suing US Republican presidential candidate John McCain for using one of his songs without permission. Browne claimed the use of his song Running on Empty in an advert was an infringement of copyright and would lead people to conclude he endorses McCain. Browne was seeking more than $75,000 (£40,000) in damages.

2008, Irish band The Script started a two week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with their self-titled debut album.

2009, An arrest warrant was issued for singer Bobby Brown after he failed to appear at a court hearing involving child maintenance payments. Judge Christina Harms ordered Mr Brown, to be arrested next time he was in the state of Massachusetts. The singer had allegedly fallen $45,000 (£27,500) behind in payments for two teenage children he had with former girlfriend Kim Ward.

2009, A thief in New Zealand took the unusual step of leaving his contact details at the site of his crime. The man reserved a copy of Pink Floyd's The Wall at a record shop in Christchurch, leaving his name and phone number, before robbing the till. He was a regular customer at the shop and already had several records on order.

August 17th: Born on this day

1944, Born on this day, John Seiter, Spanky And Our Gang, (1967 US No.9 single 'Sunday Will Never Be The Same Again').

1947, Born on this day, Gary Talley guitar, The Box Tops, (1967 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'The Letter').

1949, Born on this day, Sib Hashian, drums, Boston, (1977 UK No.22 single 'More Than A Feeling', 1986 US No.1 single 'Amanda').

1953, Born on this day, Kevin Rowland, singer, Dexy's Midnight Runners, (1982 UK No.1 & 1983 US No.1 single 'Come On Eileen'). Solo 1986 UK No.13 single 'Because Of You').

1955, Born on this day, Colin Moulding, bass, XTC, (1982 UK No.10 single 'Senses Working Overtime').

1958, Born on this day, Belinda Carlisle, singer, The Go-Go's, (1982 US No.2 single 'We Got The Beat', 1982 UK No.47 single 'Our Lips Are Sealed') and solo, (1987 US & UK No.1 single 'Heaven Is A Place On Earth').

1962, Born on this day, Gilby Clarke, guitarist, spent 3 years as the rhythm guitarist of Guns N' Roses, replacing Izzy Stradlin in November 1991.

1964, Born on this day, Maria Mckee, singer, Lone Justice (1987 UK No.45 single 'I Found Out'), solo, (1990 UK No.1 single 'Show Me Heaven').

1965, Born on this day, Steve Gorman, drums, The Black Crowes, (1991 UK No.39 single 'Hard To Handle', 1992 US No.1 & UK No.2 album 'The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion').

1966, Born on this day, Jill Cunniff, Luscious Jackson, singer, (1997 UK No.25 single 'Naked Eye').

1969, Born on this day, Donnie Wahlberg, New Kids On The Block, (1989 UK No.1 single 'You Got It, The Right Stuff', 1990 US No.1 single 'Step By Step')

1969, Born on this day, Kelvin Mercer, De La Soul, (1990 UK No.7 single 'The Magic Number').

1977, Born on this day, Claire Richards, vocals, Steps, (1998 UK No.1 single 'Heartbeat, Tragedy').

1979, Born on this day, Mike Lewis, guitarist, Lostprophets, (2004 UK No.8 single ‘Last Train Home’, 2006 UK No.1 album ‘Liberation Transmission’).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2011 at 13:24
August 18th: On this Day

1958, The Kalin Twins were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'When'. The brothers became the first twins to score a No.1 record.

1962, Ringo Starr made his debut with The Beatles at the horticultural society Dance, Birkenhead, England, having had a two-hour rehearsal in preparation. This was the first appearance of The Beatles as the world would come to know them: John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

1964, Over 9,000 frenzied fans met The Beatles as they arrived in San Francisco, to begin an American tour. The Beatles were driven into a protective fence enclosure so that photographers could take pictures. As the 9,000 fans pressed against the fencing, it gave way, with The Beatles managing to get out split-seconds before it came crashing down.

1965, During a US tour The Beatles appeared at Atlanta Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia to a sold out crowd of 35,000. Tickets cost $5.50

1966, Paul Jones left Manfred Mann just as ‘Pretty Flamingo’ was climbing the US charts. He was replaced by singer Mike D’Abo, who would take over lead vocals on the bands next hit, ‘The Mighty Quinn,’ a song written by Bob Dylan.

1969, Mick Jagger was accidentally shot in the hand during filming of 'Ned Kelly' in Australia.

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin played two shows at the Rock Pile in Toronto supported by Edward Bear.

1973, Diana Ross scored her second US No.1 single with 'Touch Me In The Morning'.

1973, Jethro Tull scored their second US No.1 album with 'A Passion Play'.

1976, 'Variety' reported that Marvin Gaye faced two consecutive five day prison terms in Los Angeles county jail for contempt of court after failing to pay alimony and child support

1977, The Police made their live debut as a three-piece band when they played at Rebecca's Birmingham, England.

1979, Nick Lowe married Johnny Cash's stepdaughter Carlene Carter in Los Angeles. The couple are now divorced.

1979, AC/DC, Nils Lofgren, The Stranglers and The Who all appeared at Wembley Stadium, London, England.

1979, Chic went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Good Times', the group's second US No.1, a No.5 hit in the UK.

1982, The City of Liverpool named four Streets after the fab four: John Lennon Drive, Paul McCartney Way, George Harrison Close and Ringo Starr Drive.

1983, The Police plus Joan Jett & the Blackhearts and R.E.M. (their biggest gig to date) all appeared at Shea Stadium, New York City.

1984, George Michael was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his first solo single 'Careless Whisper.' It made George the first person to reach No.1 as a solo artist and a member of a band in the same year. It gave Epic records UK their first UK million seller and the song was No.1 in nearly 25 countries, selling over six million copies worldwide.

1990, Jazzie B from Soul II Soul was injured when he was involved in a seven-car pile-up while travelling from Detroit to Chicago.

1991, Rick Griffith, died after being forced off the road by a van he was attempting to pass on his Harley Heritage Softail motorbike. He designed album sleeves for Jimi Hendrix and Jefferson Airplane and designed countless Rock posters.

1991, Sweet Jesus appeared at the Boardwalk, Manchester. Support act was The Rain (later to become Oasis), minus Noel Gallagher who had yet to join his brothers band.

1992, Kurt Cobain became a father when his wife Courtney Love gave birth to a daughter.

1999, Johnny Byrne guitarist with 60's Liverpool band Rory Storm and the Hurricanes died aged 60.

2001, Texas, The Charlatans, Coldplay, Faithless, Nelly Furtado and Embrace all appeared at the V2001 festival Chelmsford, England.

2002, Sugababes scored their second UK No.1 single with 'Round Round'.

2003, Tony Jackson bass player with The Searchers died of cirrhosis of the liver. The Searchers had the 1964 UK No.1 & US No.13 single 'Needles And Pins'.

2005, Kanye West called for an end to homophobia in the hip-hop community during an MTV interview saying “hip-hop was always about speaking your mind and about breaking down barriers, but everyone in hip-hop discriminates against gay people. Not just hip-hop, but America just discriminates, I wanna just, to come on TV and just tell my rappers, just tell my friends, 'Yo, stop it'."

2006, Justin Hawkins the lead singer of The Darkness checked himself into the Priory rehabilitation clinic suffering from exhaustion after three years of non-stop work.

2006, US film-maker Adam Muskiewicz set up elviswanted.com as part of a documentary exploring the myth that the singer was still alive and offered a $3m (£1.59m) reward for anybody who found Elvis Presley alive. The film was due for release in August 2007, to coincide with the 30th anniversary of Presley's death.

2006, Babyshambles front man Pete Doherty appeared at Thames Magistrates court in London to face seven charges of drug possession.

2008, Soul singer Pervis Jackson died of cancer. Was a member of The Spinners (Also known as The Motown Spinners and The Detroit Spinners). Had the 1980 UK No.1 & US No.2 single 'Working My Way Back To You'.

August 18th: Born on this day

1930, Born on this day, Johnny Preston, US singer, (1960 US & UK No.1 single 'Running Bear'.

1942, Born on this day, Sarah Dash, Labelle, (1975 US No.1 & UK No.17, single 'Lady Marmalade').

1944, Born on this day, Carl Wayne, singer, The Move, (1969 UK No.1 single 'Blackberry way'). Wayne died of cancer on 31st Aug 2004.

1945, Born on this day, Nona Hendryx, Labelle, (1975 US No.1 & UK No.17, single 'Lady Marmalade').

1945, Born on this day, Barbara Harris, singer, The Toys, 1965 US No. 2 & UK No.5 single 'A Lover's Concerto').

1949, Born on this day, Nigel Griggs bass, Split Enz, (1980 UK No.12 single 'I Got You').

1950, Born on this day, Dennis Elliott, drums, Foreigner, (1985 UK & US No.1 single 'I Want To Know What Love Is').

1951, Born on this day, John Rees, Men At Work, (1983 UK & US No.1 single 'Down Under').

1952, Born on this day, Patrick Swayze, actor, singer, (1988 US No.3 & UK No.17 single with Wendy Fraser, 'She's Like The Wind').

1957, Born on this day, Ron Strykert, Men At Work, (1983 UK and US No.1 single 'Down Under').

1967, Born on this day, Dan Peters, drums, Mudhoney, (1991 UK No.60 single 'Let It Slide').

1967, Born on this day, Tracy Tracy, The Primitives, (1988 UK No.5 single 'Crash').

1969, Born on this day, Erik Schrody, Irish-American rapper and singer-songwriter, House Of Pain, (1993 UK No.3 single 'Jump Around'). Member of Everlast, (1999 UK No. 34 single 'What It's Like').

1971, Born on this day, Richard James, Aphex Twin (1993 UK No.32 single 'On').

1983, Born on this day, Mika, (Mica Penniman), UK singer, (2007 UK No.1 single 'Grace Kelly' and 2007 UK No.1 album 'Life in Cartoon Motion').

August 18th: I knew the bride

1984, Nick Rhodes from Duran Duran married American model Julie Anne at Marylebone registry office London, England.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2011 at 12:36
August 19th: On this Day

1964, The Rolling Stones played the second of six shows at the New Theatre Ballroom, Guernsey in the Channel Islands.

1964, The Beatles kicked off a North American tour at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, California, to a crowd of 17,130. Playing 12 songs which made up their repertoire for the entire tour: ‘Twist and Shout’, ‘You Can't Do That’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘She Loves You’, ‘Things We Said Today’, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, ‘Can't Buy Me Love’, ‘If I Fell’, ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’, ‘Boys’, ‘A Hard Day's Night’, and ‘Long Tall Sally’. Supporting acts were The Righteous Brothers, The Bill Black Combo, The Exciters, and Jackie DeShannon.

1964, The High Numbers, (The Who) played at The Scene in Soho London, England.

1966, During a US tour The Beatles appeared at the Sam Houston Coliseum, playing two shows to over 25,000 fans. Tickets cost $5.00.

1967, The Beatles scored their 14th US No.1 single with 'All You Need Is Love'. Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Keith Moon, Graham Nash, Marianne Faithfull and Walker Brother Gary Leeds all sang backing vocals on the track.

1969, Joni Mitchell, David Crosby, Stephen Stills and Jefferson Airplane all appeared on the ABC TV Dick Cavett Show from Television Center in New York City.

1971, Led Zeppelin kicked off a North American tour at the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver, Canada. The band played to a sold out crowd of over 17,000 fans, another 3,000 fans outside the venue who didn't have tickets started a battle with local police.

1972, Chicago started a nine-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Chicago V'.

1972, David Bowie played the first of two nights at the Rainbow Theatre in England on his current 182-date Ziggy Stardust world tour.

1973, Rita Coolidge and Kris Kristofferson were married in Malibu, California. Kristofferson had just enjoyed a number 1 country hit with ‘Why Me,’ which included Coolidge on backing vocals. The couple divorced near the end of 1979.

1974, The Three Degrees were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'When Will I See You Again.' The girl group's only UK No.1. They were Prince Charles' favourite group of the 70's.

1977, The Sex Pistols started an undercover UK tour as The Spots, (an acronym for Sex Pistols on tour secretly).

1978, The Commodores started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Three Times A Lady'. Lionel Richie wrote the song about his love for his wife, mother and grandmother hence 'Once, Twice, Three Times a Lady.'

1979, American Rockabilly singer Dorsey Burnette died from a heart attack at his home in Canoga Park, California. He wrote 'It's Late', a hit for Ricky Nelson and Shakin' Stevens.

1982, During a North American tour Queen appeared at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum, Biloxi, Mississippi.

1988, ‘Crazy’ by Patsy Cline, and Elvis Presley’s, ‘Hound Dog’ were announced as the most played jukebox songs of the first hundred years. The jukebox had been around since 1906, but earlier models had been first seen in 1889.

1989, Bros appeared at a sold out Wembley Arena, London.

1996, James Brown appeared in Montauk, New York, as part of his Back at the Ranch tour. Brown who had a history of beating his wife, offered money that was raised at the event to an anti-violence organization called The Retreat, but was turned down.

1999, A TV ad featuring the late Linda McCartney urging a boycott of fishing was banned by the Advertising Clearance Centre in the UK.

1999, Lauryn Hill won New Artist Of The Year and Album Of The Year at the US 'Source Hip Hop Music Awards' in Los Angeles. R. Kelly won R&B Artist of The Year; DMX won Artist Of The Year and solo and live performer Of The Year.

2000, Richard Ashcroft, Paul Weller, James, Toploader, Barenaked Ladies, Moby, Beth Orton, Joe Strummer, Feeder, Dandy Warhols and Coldplay all appeared at this years V2000 festival in Staffordshire, England.

2001, American soul singer Betty Everett died aged 61. She had the 1964 US No.6 single 'The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss'), later covered by Cher.

2001, British boy band Five scored their final UK No.1 single with 'Let's Dance.' Their 3rd and final No.1 was taken from their album Kingsize.

2001, A man was arrested at the V2001 festival at Chelmsford, Essex, England after clambering onto a stage and running towards Kylie Minogue, who was performing. He was later charged with breach of the peace.

2003, A man from Nottinghamshire who sent threatening emails to S Club singer Tina Barrett was jailed for six months. 41 year-old Steven Hindley, showered the singer with roses, chocolates and teddy-bears. But when the messages were ignored, he began to mention threats to the band, including a potential sniper attack. One email begged Miss Barrett to visit him at his home, claiming he was the victim of an incurable brain-tumour and had just three weeks to live.

2005, A life-size bronze statue designed by Paul Daly of Phil Lynott was unveiled on Harry Street in Dublin. The ceremony was attended by his former Thin Lizzy band members Gary Moore, Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham.

2007, Elvis Presley went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'The King.'

2007, Kanye West went to No.1 on the UK singles chart 'Stronger', the American rappers first UK No.1.

2008, Saxophonist LeRoi Moore, a founding member of the Dave Matthews Band, died aged 46. Publicist Ambrosia Healy said he died from injuries sustained in a vehicle accident in June on his Virginia farm.

August 19th: Born on this day

1940, Born on this day, Ginger Baker, drummer, Cream, (1966 UK No.11 single 'I Feel Free'). Ginger Bakers Airforce.

1940, Born on this day, Johnny Nash, singer, (1972 US No.1 single 'I Can See Clearly Now', 1975 UK No.1 single 'Tears On My Pillow').

1940, Roger Cook, songwriter, as a member of Blue Mink, (1970 UK No.3 single 'Melting Pot'). Cook has had more than 80 top 30 hits, including ‘Something’s Gotten Hold Of My Heart’, ‘Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress’ , ‘You’ve Got Your Troubles’ and ‘I’d Like To Teach The World To Sing.’

1943, Born on this day, Billy J Kramer, singer, (1964 UK No.1 & US No.7 single 'Little Children').

1945, Born on this day, Ian Gillan, vocals, Deep Purple, (1970 UK No.2 single 'Black Night', 1973 US No. 4 single 'Smoke On The Water').

1951, Born on this day, John Deacon, bass, Queen, (1975 UK No.1 single 'Bohemian Rhapsody' also UK No.1 in 1991, plus over 40 other UK top 40 singles, 1980 US No.1 single 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love').

1963, Born on this day, Joey Tempest, Europe, (1986 UK No.1 single 'The Final Countdown').

1970, Born on this day, MC Eric, Technotronic, (1989 UK No.2 single 'Pump Up The Jam').

1980, Born on this day, Darius, singer, 2001 UK TV's Popstars contestant, who became famous for his rendition of Britney Spears 'Baby One More Time'. (2002 UK No.1 single 'Colourblind').

1983, Born on this day, Missy Higgins, Australian singer-songwriter, (2004 Australian No.1 single ‘Scar’, 2007 Australian No.1 single 'Steer').

1989, Born on this day, Lil’ Romeo, rapper, actor Lil' (Percy Romeo Miller Jr), appeared in his own Nickelodeon show called Romeo. Son of rapper Master P, (2001 US No.4 single ‘My Baby’).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2011 at 12:52
August 20th: On this Day

1963, The Rolling Stones appeared at The Star & Garter Hotel Windsor, England.

1965, The Rolling Stones’ manager Andrew Loog Oldham and his partner Tony Calder launched Immediate records. Their first release was The McCoy’s ‘Hang On Sloopy’, Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton and Nico (later to join Velvet Underground), all attended the launch party. The label became the home of The Small Faces, Nice, Amen Corner and Chris Farlowe and a young producer - guitarist Jimmy Page.

1966, The Beatles, touring America for the last time, were forced to cancel and reschedule their performance in Cincinnati's open-air stadium, Crosley Field. Heavy rain (and no cover provided) made electrocution a virtual certainty if The Beatles had attempted to perform.

1968, The University of Tennessee reported that a guinea pig subjected to days of rock music played at 120 decibels had suffered acute hearing damage.

1969, After finishing ‘I Want You, (She’s So Heavy), The Beatles worked on the running order for the Abbey Road album. A preliminary master tape was compiled, the medley was originally slated for side one of the album, and the placement of ‘Octopus's Garden’ and ‘Oh! Darling’ were reversed from the final version. The album was to end with the slashed guitar chord that finishes ‘I Want You (She's So Heavy)’. This was the last time all four Beatles were together in Abbey Road studios.

1971, On the second night of a North American tour, Led Zeppelin appeared at the Seattle Centre Coliseum, Seattle, Washington.

1973, Bruce Springsteen played the first of a seven night run at Oliver’s in Boston, Massachusetts playing two 60-minute sets each night.

1977, The Brotherhood Of Man had the No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Angelo', their second UK chart topper.

1977, The Emotions started a five week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Best Of My Love', it made No.4 in the UK.

1980, During a North American tour, Queen appeared at the Civic Centre, Hartford, Connecticut.

1983, The compilation album '18 Greatest Hits' by Michael Jackson and The Jackson Five started a three week run at No.1 on the UK chart.

1983, Madness, Joan Jett, The Police and R.E.M. all appeared at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia.

1986, Rick Allen drummer with Def Leppard made his first live appearance with the band after losing an arm in a car accident, when they appeared at the Monsters Of Rock Festival, Castle Donington, England.

1988, Steve Winwood went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Roll With It'.

1988, Iron Maiden, Kiss, David Lee Roth, Megadeth, Guns N' Roses and Helloween all appeared at this year's 'Monsters Of Rock' Festival, Castle Donington, England. Two rock fans died while 'slam dancing' as Guns N' Roses played.

1990, Aerosmith appeared at the Marquee Club London. Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page joined the band on stage for a blues jam.

1991, Nirvana and Sonic Youth kicked off a joint European tour at Sir Henry’s Pub, Cork, Ireland.

1992, A US Doctor filed a $35m lawsuit against the Southwest Bell phone company. He alleged that his wife died because he could not reach 911 due to all lines being jammed by demand of Garth Brooks concert tickets.

1997, BBC TV aired the documentary 'Oasis; Right Here Right Now', with the group talking about their troublesome last year plus performances of three new songs from the Manchester band.

2000, Craig David started a two week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with his debut release 'Born To Do It'.

2000, Janet Jackson went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Doesn't Really Matter'. Nelly started a five week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Country Grammar'.

2000, Spiller went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Groovejet'. The Italian DJ and producer mixed the track based on an old 1970's hit 'Love Is You' by Carol Williams, with new vocals by Sophie Ellis-Bextor.

2003, Madame Tussauds in London opened an interactive Pop Idol display with a speaking waxwork of judge Simon Cowell. The waxwork made comments such as: 'That was extraordinary. Unfortunately extraordinarily bad.' 'Do you really think that you could become a Pop Idol' Well then you're deaf.' 'Thank you. Goodbye and That was the worst performance I've ever seen.'

2004, A man from Stoke-on-Trent, England, named Bryan Adams as the ‘other man’ in his divorce papers after years spent trying to cope with his wife’s obsession with the singer. Rob Tinsley said he had to live with a 6ft cut-out of Adams which stood at the foot of the bed and posters on the bedroom walls.

2006, The Rolling Stones played the first of two nights at Twickenham Stadium on their ‘A Bigger Bang’ world tour. Feeder and The Charlatans also appeared.

2006, Christina Aguilera went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Back To Basics' the singers third UK release. Also a No.1 album in 13 other countries.

2007, The funeral of Manchester music mogul and broadcaster, Tony Wilson was held at St Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Manchester. Peter Hook and Stephen Morris - two members of first Factory signing Joy Division, and later incarnation, New Order attended along with Happy Mondays front man, Shaun Ryder.

2008, The daughter of late country star Johnny Cash called the use of her father's name to endorse a US presidential candidate ‘appalling’. Country star John Rich implied Mr Cash would have backed Republican hopeful John McCain while appearing at a rally in Florida, according to media reports. Writing on her website, Roseanne Cash called the remarks ‘presumptuous’. ‘Even I would not presume to say publicly what I 'know' he thought or felt,’ she added.

August 20th: Born on this day

1924, Born on this day, Jim Reeves, US country singer. The first country singer to crossover into the pop market. (1960 US No.2 single 'He'll Have To Go', 1966 UK No.1 single 'Distant Drums'). Reeves was killed in a plane crash on 31st July 1964 when the single engine aircraft flying from Arkansas to Nashville crashed in thick fog.

1931, Born on this day, Paul Robi, The Platters, (UK & US No.1 single 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes'). Died of cancer on 1st February 1989.

1934, Born on this day 'Sneaky' Pete Kleinow, US country-rock steel guitar player. Died 6th Jan 2007 aged 72. He was one of the original members of the Flying Burrito Brothers with the Byrds' Chris Hillman and Gram Parsons. Also worked with John Lennon and Joni Mitchell.

1940, Born on this day, John Lantree, The Honeycombs, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Have I The Right').

1941, Born on this day, Dave Brock, Hawkwind, (1972 UK No.3 single 'Silver Machine').

1946, Born on this day, Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk, (1982 UK No.1 single 'Computer Love / The Model').

1947, Born on this day, James Pankow, Trombone, Chicago, (1976 UK & US No.1 single 'If You Leave Me Now').

1948, Born on this day, Robert Plant, singer with Led Zeppelin who had the 1969 US No.4 single Whole Lotta Love. The bands fourth album released in 1971 featuring the rock classic Stairway To Heaven has sold over 37 million copies. Plant had the 1983 solo hit single Big Log. Also a member of The Honeydrippers, (with Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck & Nile Rodgers), who had the 1984 US No.3 single Sea Of Love. Had the Grammy award winning 2007 album Raising Sand with bluegrass star Alison Krauss.

1949, Born on this day, Phil Lynott Irish singer, songwriter, bass player, Thin Lizzy. (1973 UK No.6 single 'Whisky In The Jar'). Lynott died on 4th Jan 1986 of heart failure and pneumonia after being in a coma for eight days following a drug overdose. A life-size bronze statue of Phil Lynott was unveiled on Harry Street in Dublin in 2005.

1952, Born on this day, Doug Fieger, The Knack, (1979 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'My Sharona'). Died of cancer on 14th Feb 2010.

1966, Born on this day, Dimebag Darrell, guitarist, Pantera, (1994 UK No.19 single 'I'm Broken'). Darrell was killed on 8th December 2004 after a man stormed the stage during a Damageplan show at the Alrosa Villa Club in Columbus, Ohio and began firing shots at the band and crowd.

1971, Born on this day, Fred Durst, vocals, Limp Bizkit, (2001 UK No.1 single 'Rollin' & 2000 US & UK No.1 album 'Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavoured Water').

1979, Born on this day, Jamie Cullum, UK Jazz, singer, songwriter, instrumentalist, (2003 UK No.5 album 'Twentysomething').

1992, Born on this day, Demi Lovatois, American actress and singer-songwriter. (Mitchie Torres in the Disney Channel Movie Camp Rock). 2009 US No.1 album ‘Here We Go Again’.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2011 at 17:30
August 21st: On this Day

1961, Elvis Presley started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Something For Everybody' his sixth US No.1 album.

1961, Patsy Cline recorded the classic Willie Nelson song, ‘Crazy’. She was still on crutches after going through a car windshield in a head-on collision two months earlier.

1965, The Rolling Stones started a three week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Out Of Our Heads' the group's first US No.1 album.

1965, During a 17 date UK tour The Who played at the Palais in Bournemouth.

1966, On their last ever US tour The Beatles performed in two cities due to a cancellation due to rain the previous day. First they performed at Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio. Then they flew to St. Louis, Missouri, for a concert at Busch Stadium, where they performed under a tarpaulin due to heavy rain. It was this gig that convinced Paul McCartney that The Beatles should stop performing live.

1967, The Doors started recording their second album at Sunset Sound Studios, Hollywood, California.

1968, Tommy James and The Shondells returned to the UK No.1 position for the second time with the single 'Mony Mony'.

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at the Carousel Theatre in Framingham, Massachusetts.

1971, Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come, Hawkwind, Duster Bennett, Brewers Droop, Indian Summer, Graphite, (and second from the bottom on the bill) Queen all appeared at the Tregye Festival Truro, Cornwall, England.

1972, Jack Casady of Jefferson Airplane was arrested after a fight broke out on stage during a concert when the police had been called 'pigs'. Grace Slick was 'Mace' and another group member injured at the show in Akron.

1976, The Rolling Stones, 10CC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Todd Rundgren's Utopia and Hot Tuna all appeared at The Knebworth Festival, Hertfordshire, England, tickets £4.50.

1983, Ramones guitarist Johnny Ramone had a four-hour brain surgery operation, after being found unconscious in a New York Street where he had been involved in a fight.

1997, Former Stone Roses drummer Alan Wren was jailed for seven days after being rude to a top Manchester Magistrate. He was before the court due to having no car insurance and lost his temper after being quizzed about his earnings.

1997, Oasis' third album 'Be Here Now', became one of the fastest selling albums ever, shifting over a million copies on the first day of release.

2000, Survivor filed a lawsuit against TVT Records after they released a soundtrack to the TV show ‘Survivor.’ Survivor guitarist Frankie Sullivan said, “It’s unfortunate that after 23 years of building, promoting, and protecting the name of our band, someone can suddenly come along and release a recording that uses our name and takes away everything we have worked for.”

2002, Atomic Kitten were facing legal action after sacking Andy McCluskey, the songwriter who wrote the bands first No.1 'Whole Again.' The band were about to be dropped by Innocent records when they recorded the song that became a huge hit. The girls then wanted a bigger share of royalties, which McCluskey had turned down. Under the original deal each girl got 4p from the sale of one single.

2005, Robert Moog, inventor of the synthesiser died aged 71, four months after being diagnosed with brain cancer. Dr Moog built his first electronic instrument, a theremin - aged 14 and made the MiniMoog, "the first compact, easy-to-use synthesiser" in 1970. He won the Polar prize, Sweden's "music Nobel prize", in 2001. Wendy Carlos' 1968 Grammy award-winning album, Switched-On Bach, brought Dr Moog to prominence.

2005, Staind were at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Chapter V.'

2005, McFly were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I'll Be OK', the group's 4th No.1

2006, A man surfing the Internet in America foiled three men who broke into a Liverpool shop in Liverpool, England. The man who had logged onto a site streaming live footage of Mathew Street and a forthcoming Beatles festival saw the men smashing a window of a shop and climb inside. He phoned Merseyside police who arrested the men.

2008, Paedophile and ex-pop star Gary Glitter returned to Thailand after being refused entry to Hong Kong. Chinese authorities informed the UK Foreign Office they had barred Glitter from entry. He was earlier deported from Vietnam after spending almost three years in jail for sexually abusing two girls. He flew to Hong Kong from Bangkok after refusing to fly to the UK, and had made a plea for medical treatment after saying he was suffering a heart attack.

2008, Drummer Buddy Harman died of congestive heart failure, aged 79. Worked with Elvis Presley (‘Little Sister’), Patsy Cline (‘Crazy’), Roy Orbison (‘Pretty Woman’), Johnny Cash (‘Ring Of Fire’), Tammy Wynette (‘Stand By Your Man’). Was the first house drummer for The Grand Ole Opry. He can be heard on over 18,000 recordings.

August 21st: Born on this day

1904, Born on this day, Count Basie, bandleader. Worked with Frank Sinatra as well as his own Count Basie band. Died on 26th April 1984.

1938, Born on this day, Kenny Rogers, singer, (1977 UK No.1 single 'Lucille', 1980 US No.1 & UK No.12 single 'Lady', plus 15 other US Top 40 hits).

1941, Born on this day, Tom Costello, Santana, (1970 US No.4 single 'Black Magic Woman', 1977 UK No.11 single 'She's Not There').

1944, Born on this day, Jackie DeShannon singer, (1969 US No.4 single 'Put A Little Love In Your Heart').

1947, Born on this day, Carl Giammarese, guitar, The Buckinghams, (1967 US No.1 single 'Kind Of A Drag').

1952, Born on this day, Joe Strummer, singer, songwriter, guitarist, The Clash, (1979 UK No. 11 single 'London Calling', 1982 US No. 8 single 'Rock The Casbah, 1991 UK No.1 single 'Should I Stay Or Should I Go', first released 1982 plus 15 other UK top 40 singles). Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros. He died on 22nd December 2002.

1954, Born on this day, Nick Kane, The Mavericks, (1998 UK No.4 single 'Dance The Night Away').

1954, Born on this day, Steve Smith, drums, Journey, (1982 US No.2 single 'Open Arms').

1957, Born on this day, Budgie, Siouxsie and the Banshees, (1983 UK No.3 single 'Dear Prudence', plus over 15 other UK top 40 singles). The Creatures, (1983 UK No.14 single 'Right Now').

1957, Born on this day, Kim Sledge, Sister Sledge, (1979 US No.2 single 'We Are Family', 1985 UK No.1 with 'Frankie').

1961, Born on this day, David Morales, US DJ, producer, (1998 UK No. 8 single with The Face ‘Needin’ U’).

1967, Born on this day, Serj Tankian, singer, System of a Down, (2005 US No.1 & UK No.2 album ‘Mezmerize’).

1968, Born on this day, Dina Carroll, singer, (1993 UK No.3 single 'Don't Be A Stranger').

1971, Born on this day, Liam Howlett, Keyboards, Prodigy, (1996 UK No.1 single 'Firestarter', 1997 UK & US No.1 album 'The Fat Of The Land').

1979, Born on this day, Kelis Rogers, singer, (2000 UK No.4 single 'Caught Out There'). Married to American rapper Nas.

1984, Born on this day, Melissa Schman, Dream, (2001 US No.3 & UK No.17 single 'He Loves You Not').

August 21st: I knew the bride

1982, U2 singer Bono married Alison Stewart, his girlfriend from 1975 at All Saints Church, Raheny in Ireland. U2 bassist Adam Clayton acted as Bono's best man.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2011 at 13:02
August 22nd: On this Day

1956, Elvis Presley began working on his first movie, Love Me Tender. In the drama that was set during and just after the Civil War, Elvis played Clint Reno, the youngest of four brothers. The original title for the movie was The Reno Brothers, but was changed to take advantage of the ‘Love Me Tender’ song recorded for the film.

1962, The first TV appearance of The Beatles was recorded by Manchester based Granada TV, who filmed a lunchtime session at The Cavern Club Liverpool, (it was shown on 17th October 1962).

1963, Billy J Kramer And The Dakotas were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Bad To Me.' A song John Lennon wrote for them while on holiday in Spain with Brian Epstein.

1964, The Supremes started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Where Did Our Love Go' the girl group's first No.1, it made No.3 in the UK.

1964, During a North American tour The Beatles appeared at the Empire Stadium, Vancouver, to over 20,000 fans. The Beatles set at the time was just 29 minutes long. tickets cost £5.25.

1965, The Beatles, on tour in North America, performed two shows at Memorial Coliseum, Portland, Oregon. Between performances, The Beatles were visited in their dressing-room by Carl Wilson and Mike Love of the Beach Boys.

1966, New York City teenagers Carol Hopkins and Susan Richmond climbed out onto the ledge on the second floor of a city hotel and threatened to jump unless they could get to meet The Beatles. Police talked then down.

1967, The Jimi Hendrix Experience appeared on the BBC TV Simon Dee show.

1968, Ringo Starr quit The Beatles during the White Album sessions when the constant bickering and tension became too much for him. The news of Ringo's departure was kept secret, and he rejoined the sessions on September 3. After Ringo walked out, the remaining Beatles recorded ‘Back In the USSR’, with Paul on drums and John playing bass.

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin played the first of two nights at Pirates World in Dania, Florida. Also on the bill were The Royal Ascots, Brimstone and The Echo.

1969, The Beatles met at John Lennon’s Tittenhurst Park home in England for their final ever photo session. Three shots from this session (by Ethan Russell) formed the front and back covers of the Capitol compilation album Hey Jude. Yoko Ono and a pregnant Linda McCartney (she was to give birth to daughter Mary six days later) appeared in some photographs with The Beatles.

1970, Bread went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Make It With You', the group's only No.1 hit, it made No.5 in the UK.

1970, Creedence Clearwater Revival started a nine-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with their fifth studio album 'Cosmo's Factory'. The name of the album comes from the warehouse in Berkeley where the band rehearsed. Bandleader John Fogerty was so insistent on practicing (nearly every day) that drummer Doug "Cosmo" Clifford began referring to the place as "the factory".

1970, The Moody Blues started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'A Question Of Balance'.

1970, Derek and the Dominoes appeared at the Van Dike in Plymouth, England.

1971, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, and Peter, Paul & Mary all appeared at the Odeon Theatre, Edinburgh, Scotland.

1978, Sex Pistol Sid Vicious made his last live stage appearance when he appeared with Rat Scabies from The Damned, former Sex Pistol Glen Matlock and Nancy Spungen at London's Electric Ballroom. In the audience: Elvis Costello, Blondie, Joan Jett , The Slits and Captain Sensible.

1979, Led Zeppelin released In Through the Out Door, their last album of original material, ‘Fool in the Rain’ was released as a single in the US.

1980, During a North American tour Queen appeared at The Spectrum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

1987, Madonna went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Who's That Girl', her sixth US No.1 and also a No.1 in the UK.

1990, Orchestra leader David Rose died aged 80. He had the 1962 US No.1 single 'The Stripper'. He also wrote music for the television series Little House on the Prairie and Bonanza.

1992, Sting and Trudie Styler held their wedding reception, (the couple married on 20th August 1992), after The Troggs had played a set, all three members of The Police got on stage and played a couple of numbers.

1997, U2 played the first of two sold out nights at Wembley Stadium, London, England on their Pop Mart tour.

1999, Former Spice Girl Geri Halliwell scored her first UK No.1 solo single with 'Mi Chico Latino' the second single from her debut solo album Schizophonic.

1999, Travis scored their first UK No.1 album with 'The Man Who' after spending 12 weeks on the chart.

2002, Corrs drummer, Caroline Corr married long-time boyfriend Frank Woods in a candlelit church on Mallorca.

2003, Kjell Henning Bjoernestad a Norwegian Elvis Presley impersonator set a world record by singing the rock 'n' roll legend's hits non-stop for over 26 hours. The previous record was set by British Elvis fan Gary Jay who sang for 25 hours 33 minutes and 30 seconds.

2003, Blur, Beck, The White Stripes, Doves, The Streets, The Libertines, The Darkness, Junior Senior, The Sleepy Jackson and The Thrills all appeared at this years UK Carling Reading weekend festival.

2004, Maroon 5 went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Songs About Jane.’

2004, Natasha Bedingfield started a two week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'These Words.' The sister of singer and producer Daniel Bedingfield.

2005, 50 Cent was suing a US car dealer for allegedly using his name in an advert without permission. Describing himself in the legal action as a "hugely successful" artist "known for his good looks, 'gangsta' image and hard knocks success story". The rapper was seeking more than £1m (£555,150) from Gary Barbera Enterprises for a Dodge Magnum advert with the line "Just Like 50 Says" alongside a photo of him.

2007, Former Savage Garden singer Darren Hayes was arrested on suspicion of racially abusing a member of staff at a Thai restaurant in Soho, London. Hayes was released on bail pending further inquiries.

2009, Sugarland went to No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Live on the Inside’, the American country music duo’s first No.1.

2009, Soul singer Johnny Carter, who was a member of doo-wop groups The Dells and The Flamingos, died aged 75. Carter who was famed for his falsetto vocals, was one of the few artists to be inducted into the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with two acts.

August 22nd: Born on this day

1920, Born on this day, John Lee Hooker, Blues singer, guitarist, (1951 US million selling album 'I'm In The Mood', 1964 UK No.23 single 'Dimples', 1989 album 'The Healer'). Hooker died on 21st June 2001.

1938, Born on this day, Dale Hawkins, rockabilly singer, guitarist, (1957 US No. 27 single 'Susie Q').

1939, Born on this day, Fred Milano, Dion and the Belmonts, (1961 US No.1 & UK No.11 single 'Runaround Sue').

1945, Born on this day, Ron Dante, singer, songwriter, The Archies, (1969 US & UK No.1 single 'Sugar Sugar') and The Cufflinks, (1969 UK No.4 single 'Tracy').

1946, Born on this day, Mutha Withem, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, (1968 UK No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Young Girl').

1947, Born on this day, Donna Godchaux, Grateful Dead, (1970 UK No.69 and US No.127 album 'Workingman's Dead').

1956, Born on this day, Chris Biondo, guitarist, producer with Eva Cassidy. (Only artist to score three posthumous UK No.1 albums, 2001 'Songbird', 2002 'Imagine', 2003 'American Tune'. 2001 UK No. 42 single 'Over The Rainbow').

1958, Born on this day, Ian Mitchell, Bay City Rollers, (1975 UK No.1 single 'Bye Bye Baby', plus 11 other UK top 20 singles', 1976 US No.1 single, 'Saturday Night').

1958, Born on this day, Vernon Reid, Living Colour, (1991 UK No.12 single 'Love Rears It's Ugly Head').

1961, Born on this day, Debbie Peterson, drums, The Bangles, (1986 UK No.2 single with Prince song, 'Manic Monday'. 1986 US No.1 single 'Walk Like An Egyptian').

1961, Born on this day, Roland Orzabal, singer, songwriter, guitarist, Tears For Fears, (1985 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World', plus over 12 other UK top 40 singles).

1963, Born on this day, James Debarge, Debarge, (1985 UK No.4 single 'Rhythm Of The Night').

1963, Born on this day, Tori Amos, singer, songwriter, (1994 UK No.4 single 'Cornflake Girl', 1992 album 'Little Earthquakes').

1967, Born on this day, Layne Staley, Alice In Chains, (1993 UK No.19 single 'Would'). Staley was found dead in his home on 19th April 2002.

1969, Born on this day, Steve Cradock, Guitars, Ocean Colour Scene, (1996 UK No.4 single 'The Day We Caught The Train', plus over 12 other Top 40 singles, 1997 UK No.1 album ‘Marchin’ Already’). Also a member of Paul Weller's Band.

1972, Born on this day, Paul Doucette, Matchbox 20, (1998 UK No.38 single 'Push', 2000 US No.1 single 'Bent').

1973, Born on this day, Howie D, Backstreet Boys, (1997 US No.2 single 'Quit playing Games With My Heart', 1999 UK No.1 single 'I Want It That Way').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2011 at 12:54
August 23rd: On this Day

1962, John Lennon married Cynthia Powell at Liverpool's Mount Pleasant register office. He then played a gig that night with The Beatles at Liverpool's Riverpark Ballroom.

1963, The Rolling Stones appeared on UK TV show Ready, Steady, Go! for the first time, performing their debut single ‘Come On.’ The group made a total of 20 appearances on the show between 1963 and 1966.

1965, Security guards at a Manchester TV studio hosed down 200 Rolling Stones fans after they broke down barriers while waiting for the band to arrive for a performance.

1966, The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the double a sided 'Yellow Submarine - Eleanor Rigby'. The group's eleventh No.1.

1966, On their final tour of America, The Beatles performed at Shea Stadium in New York City, New York. Unlike the previous year's performance, which had sold out, there were 11,000 empty seats in the 55,600 seat stadium. The Beatles earn more than the previous year, receiving $189,000 for their performance.

1967, During a North American tour Herman's Hermits supported by The Who appeared at Atwood Stadium, Flint in Michigan.

1967, Joni Mitchell played her first ever UK show when she opened for The Piccadilly Line at The Marquee Club in London.

1968, During a North American tour The Jimi Hendrix Experience appeared at Singer Bowl, Flushing Meadow Park, New York. Also on the bill Soft Machine and Big Brother and the Holding Company.

1969, Johnny Cash started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Johnny Cash At San Quentin'.

1969, The Rolling Stones started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Honky Tonk Women' the group's fifth US No.1. Also No.1 in the UK.

1969, During a UK tour Queen appeared at Bolton's Octagon Theatre in Bolton, Lancashire.

1970, Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground performed together for the last time at the New York Club 'Max's Kansas City'. Reed worked as a typist for his father for the next two years, at $40 per week.

1971, Diana Ross was at No.1 on the UK singles chart 'I'm Still Waiting', the singers first solo UK No.1. The song which spent four weeks at the top of the charts was released after BBC Radio 1 DJ Tony Blackburn featured it heavily on his morning programme.

1971, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at the Tarrant County Convention Center, Fort Worth Texas.

1975, Hamilton Joe Franks And Reynolds went to No.1 on the US singles chart with, 'Fallin' In Love', their only US No.1, it made No.33 in the UK.

1975, Joy Division singer Ian Curtis married Deborah Woodruff, whom he met while still at school, when he was 19 and she was 18. They remained married until his death when he hanged himself in the kitchen of his house in Macclesfield, England at the age of 23.

1980, David Bowie was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Ashes To Ashes' his second UK No.1. Taken from the Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) album, the song continued the story of Major Tom from Bowie's 'Space Oddity'. The video for 'Ashes to Ashes' was one of the most iconic of the 1980s and costing £250,000, it was at the time the most expensive music video ever made.

1980, The Heatwave Festival in Toronto, Canada took place with Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, The B-52's, The Pretenders, Rockpile and The Rumour. Tickets cost $30, with only 50,000 people attending the festival lost over $1 million.

1980, US police killed an escaped drug addict who had shot one of their officers during a Grateful Dead concert.

1985, Aerosmith played at the Alpine Valley Music Theatre in East Troy, Wisconsin, the first night on their 89 date Done With Mirrors Tour.

1986, Jamaican singer Boris Gardiner started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Want to Wake Up with You'.

1986, Sigue Sigue Sputnik came up with an idea to sell advertising space between the tracks on their forthcoming new album. It was a non-starter.

1991, The re-formed Dire Straits kicked off a two year 300 date world tour in Dublin, Ireland.

1991, Iggy Pop, Sonic Youth, Pop Will Eat Itself, Dinosaur Jr, Chapterhouse, Nirvana, Silverfish, Babes in Toyland, James, The Fall, De La Soul, Blur, Teenage Fanclub, Flowered Up, The Fat Lady Sings, Kingmaker, Mercury Rev, Sisters of Mercy and Neds Atomic Dustbin all appeared at this year’s three day Reading Festival in England.

1997, Texas went to No.1 on the UK album chart for the second time with 'White On Blonde'.

2002, The Strokes, Foo Fighters, Prodigy, Offspring, Muse, Sum 41, Janes Addiction, The Dandy Warhols, Jimmy Eat World, Incubus, Pulp, The White Stripes, Feeder and Cornershop all appeared at the UK Carling Leeds-Reading Weekend Festival in England.

2003, Lee Ryan of boy band Blue was banned from driving for 18 months after admitting drink-driving. Ryan was also ordered to pay a £2250 fine at Tower Bridge magistrate's court London.

2003, Metallica System Of A Down, Sum 41, Primal Scream and Good Charlotte all appeared at this years UK Carling Reading weekend festival.

2004, Queen, became the first UK rock band to receive official approval in Iran, where Western music was strictly prohibited. Lead singer, Freddie Mercury, who died of AIDS in 1991, was of Iranian ancestry and bootlegged albums had been available for years.

2005, Les McKeown the lead singer of the Bay City Rollers appeared in court charged with drugs offences. McKeown, aged 49, was accused of conspiring with four other people, including the band's drummer Pat McGlynn, to supply cocaine. He was arrested in Dalston, east London, in June as part of a major police operation.

2007, Comedy writer Buddy Sheffield, sued Disney alleging that he originally came up with the idea for Hannah Montana but was never compensated by Disney. In the lawsuit, Sheffield claimed that he pitched an idea for a TV series with the name of ‘Rock and Roland’ to Disney Channel in 2001 with the plot of a junior high student who lived a secret double life as a rock star.

2008, Madonna kicked off her 86-date Sticky & Sweet Tour at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff Wales. It became the highest grossing tour by a solo artist, breaking the previous record Madonna achieved with her

2006 Confessions Tour. Madonna's first venture with Live Nation, was estimated to have grossed $280 million.

2009, Calvin Harris went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Ready For The Weekend’ the Scottish singers second album.

August 23rd: Born on this day

1938, Born on this day, Mike Burt, Chas & Dave, (1982 UK No.2 single 'Ain't No Pleasing You').

1942, Born on this day, Roger Greenaway, singer, songwriter, member of David & Jonathan and the Kestrels. Best known for his songwriting collaborations with Roger Cook: 'My Baby Loves Lovin', (White Plains); 'Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress', 'Gasoline Alley Bred', (The Hollies); 'You've Got Your Troubles', (The Fortunes); 'Melting Pot, Good Morning Freedom' (Blue Mink); and 'Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart' (Gene Pitney).

1947, Born on this day, Keith Moon, drums, The Who, (1965 UK No.2 single 'My Generation' plus over 20 other Top 40 hits, 1967 US No.9 single 'I Can See For Miles' and rock opera albums 'Tommy' & 'Quadrophenia'). Moon died on 7th September 1978.

1949, Born on this day, Rick Springfield, US singer, songwriter, (1981 US No.1 & UK No.43 single 'Jessie's Girl').

1951, Born on this day, Jimi Jamison, Survivor, (1982 US & UK No.1 single 'Eye Of The Tiger').

1953, Born on this day, Bobby G, vocals, Bucks Fizz, (1981 UK No.1 single 'Making Your Mind Up', plus 12 other UK top 40 singles').

1954, Born on this day, Mark Avsec, keyboardist, songwriter, Donnie Iris & the Cruisers, Wild Cherry, (1976 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Play That Funky Music').

1959, Born on this day, Edwyn Collins, singer, songwriter, producer, Orange Juice, (1983 UK No.8 single 'Rip It Up'), solo, (1995 UK No.4 single 'A Girl Like You').

1961, Born on this day, Dean Deleo, guitar, Stone Temple Pilots, (1993 UK No.23 single 'Plush').

1962, Born on this day, Shaun Ryder, vocals, Happy Mondays, (1990 UK No.5 single 'Step On'), Black Grape, (1995 UK No.8 single 'In The Name Of The Father').

1967, Born on this day, Cedella Marley, Ziggy Marley & The Melody Makers, (1988 UK No.22 single 'Tomorrow People').

1974, Born on this day, Shifty Shellshock (real name Seth Brooks Binzer) front man of Crazy Town. 2001 US No.1 single 'Butterfly'.

1978, Born on this day, Julian Casablancas, guitar, vocals, The Strokes, (2001 UK No. 14 single 'Last Nite' 2001 UK No.2 album ‘Is This It’).

1979, Born on this day, Richard Neville vocals, Five, (1998 UK No.2 single 'Everybody Get Up', 1999 UK No.1 single 'Keep On Movin').

1981, Born on this day, Natalie Horler, singer, Cascada, German dance group. 2007 hit ‘Everytime We Touch’ won them a World Music Award in 2007. 2009 UK No.1 single ‘Evacuate the Dancefloor’.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2011 at 13:00
August 24th: On this Day

1963, Stevie Wonder became the first artist ever to score a US No.1 album and single in the same week. Wonder was at No.1 on the album chart with 'Little Stevie Wonder / The 12 Year Old Genius' and had the No.1 single 'Fingertips part 2'. This was also the first ever live recording to make No.1.

1966, The Doors started recording their first album at Sunset Sound Recording Studios, West Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, California.

1967, 17-year old singer and guitarist Bruce Springsteen joined a group called Earth.

1968, The Incredible String Band, Traffic, Bonzo Dog Band, Family, Fairport Convention, Blossom Toes, Pretty things, Deviants, Blonde On Blonde and Free all appeared over two nights at The Roundhouse in London.

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Jacksonville, Florida.

1974, Paul Anka with Odia Coates started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with '(You're Having My Baby', Anka's 24th US top 40 hit. It made No.6 in the UK.

1975, Queen started recording 'Bohemian Rhapsody' at Rockfield studio’s in Monmouth, Wales, (the song was recorded over three weeks). Freddie Mercury had mentally prepared the song beforehand and directed the band throughout the sessions. May, Mercury, and Taylor sang their vocal parts continually for ten to twelve hours a day, resulting in 180 separate overdubs.

1977, Singer, songwriter Waylon Jennings was arrested and charged with possession of cocaine. Jennings had recently been named an honorary police chief.

1979, Celebrating 30 years in show business, B.B. King played at the Roxy Club, Sunset Strip, Los Angeles.

1980, Iron Maiden Whitesnake, Def Leppard, UFO, Gillan, Pat Travers Band and Rory Gallagher all appeared at the 20th National Rock Festival Reading Rock 80, England. Advance tickets £12.50.

1980, During a North American tour Queen appeared at the Civic Centre, Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania.

1981, Mark Chapman was given a 20 year jail sentence for the murder of John Lennon.

1983, The fifth wife of Jerry Lee Lewis, Shawn Michelle Stevens was found dead at their Mississippi home of a methadone overdose. They had been married less than three months. Jerry Lee would marry again in 1984 to 22 year-old Kerrie McCarver, but divorce in 2004.

1985, Huey Lewis and the News started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Power Of Love'. As featured in the movie 'Back To The Future'.

1987, Donny Osmond released his first single in 10 years 'I'm In It For Love', (Donny now shaves and has taken to wearing black leather).

1989, The Who perform "Tommy" at the Universal Amphitheatre with special guests Steve Winwood, Elton John, Phil Collins, Patti LaBelle and Billy Idol.

1990, This years three day UK Reading Festival kicked off, featuring, Faith No More, The Cramps, Inspiral Carpets, Pixies, The Fall, Jesus Jones, Ride, Dinosaur Jnr, The Wedding Present, Billy Bragg and others, a three day ticket £35.

1990, Judas Priest successfully defended themselves against a lawsuit, after two fans attempted suicide while listening to the Stained Class album. Both fans eventually died, one immediately from a shotgun blast, and the other on a second attempt three years later by a methadone overdose. The prosecution claimed that there were subliminal messages in the group’s music that caused the two seventeen year olds to carry out the suicide pact in 1985.

1991, Lenny Kravitz was at No.2 in the US singles chart with 'It Ain't Over Till It's Over', held off the No.1 position by Bryan Adams '(Everything I Do), I Do It for You'.

1991, Metallica scored their first UK No.1 album with their self- titled LP.

1994, The Eagles appeared at the Giants Stadium, New York City.

1995, Pulp singer Jarvis Cocker presented this weeks UK TV Music show 'Top Of The Pops', guest's included Oasis, Blur, Bjork and The Charlatans.

1996, Oasis singer Liam Gallagher failed to turn up for the recording of the bands MTV unplugged session at London's Royal Festival Hall in front of 400 fans. He later sat in the audience and watched the show with his brother Noel taking over on vocals.

1998, Producer Gene Page died after a long illness. Worked with Barbra Streisand, Barry White, The Righteous Brothers, Dobie Gray, Bob and Earl. Produced Whitney Houston's 'Greatest Love of All' and Roberta Flack's 'Tonight I Celebrate My Love.'

2001, Travis, Eminem, Eels, Green Day, Marilyn Manson, Supergrass, PJ Harvey, Manic Street Preachers, Weezer, Iggy Pop, Queens Of The Stone Age, The Cult, Frank Black, The Strokes, Supergrass, Ash, Stephen Malkmus and Mercury Rev all appeared at this years Carling Weekend Reading / Leeds festival, a three day ticket cost £80.

2004, Al Dvorin the announcer who popularised the phrase "Elvis has left the building" died in a car crash, on his way home from an Elvis convention in California. Dvorin aged 81, was in a car driven by Elvis photographer Ed Bonja. Dvorin was never paid for recordings of his words, and was bitter towards the multimillion pound Elvis Presley Enterprises. In the early 1970s, Colonel Parker asked Dvorin to inform fans at a gig that Presley would not be appearing for an encore. He took the stage and announced: "Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building. Thank you and goodnight."

2005, Justin Timberlake accepted libel damages for a fabricated story that he had an affair behind girlfriend Cameron Diaz's back. A News of the World article in July 2004 alleged Mr Timberlake had sexual relations with model Lucy Clarkson. The singer's solicitor Simon Smith told London's High Court Ms Clarkson had admitted lying to the newspaper. Under the headline "Exclusive: Bad News for Cameron as model reveals lover's secret fling", Ms Clarkson went into detail about several dates they had before spending the night together in a hotel. Timberlake donated the "substantial" damages paid by the newspaper and Ms Clarkson to charity.

2010, George Michael pleaded guilty at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court in London to driving under the influence of drugs. The singer had been arrested in July when he was returning home from the London Gay Pride parade and crashed his car into the front of a Snappy Snaps store in Hampstead, North London.

August 24th: Born on this day

1905, Born on this day, Arthur 'Big Boy' Crudup blues artist. Wrote Elvis' hit 'That's All Right (Mama).' Died of a stroke on 28th March 1974 aged 69.

1938, Born on this day, David Frieberg, guitar, Jefferson Airplane, (1967 US No.18 single 'White Rabbit').

1941, Born on this day, Ernest Wright, Little Anthony and the Imperials, (1958 US No.4 single 'Tears On My Pillow'), song gave Kylie Minogue a UK No.1 in 1990.

1943, Born on this day, John Cipollina, guitar, US acid rock band, Quicksilver Messenger Service, (1970 US album 'Fresh Air'). He died on 29th May 1989.

1944, Born on this day, Jim Capaldi, drummer, singer, songwriter, Traffic, (1967 UK No.2 single 'Hole In My Shoe') & solo, (1975 UK No.4 single 'Love Hurts'). Died 28th Jan 2005 of stomach cancer aged 60.

1945, Born on this day, Ken Hensley, Uriah Heep, (1975 UK No.7 album 'Return To Fantasy').

1945, Born on this day, Molly Duncan, Average White Band, (1975 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Pick Up The Pieces').

1947, Born on this day, Jim Fox, drummer and organist of the James Gang. 1970 album 'The James Gang Rides Again.'

1948, Born on this day, Jean-Michel Jarre, French instrumentalist, (1977 UK No.4 single 'Oxygene part IV').

1951, Born on this day, Michael Derosier, Heart, (1987 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Alone').

1955, Born on this day, Jeffrey Daniels, Shalamar, (1980 US No. 8 single 'The Second Time Around', 1982 UK No.5 single 'A Night To Remember').

1956, Born on this day, Matt Aitken, part of the Stock, Aitken and Waterman production team, produced over 10 UK No.1 singles.

1961, Born on this day, Colin Angus, The Shamen, (1992 UK No.1 single 'Ebeneezer Goode').

1961, Born on this day, Mark Bedford bass, Madness, (1982 UK No.1 single 'House Of Fun & over 20 other UK Top 40 hits).

1963, Born on this day, John Bush, Anthrax, (1991 UK No.16 single 'Got The Time').

1968, Born on this day, Andreas Kisser, Sepultura, (1996 UK No.19 single 'Roots Bloody Roots').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2011 at 14:04
August 26th: On this Day

1963, Cilla Black made her first major concert appearance at The Odeon Cinema Southport on a bill with The Beatles.

1965, Sonny & Cher were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Got You Babe', the duo's only UK No.1.

1965, The Byrds appeared at the Hollywood Palladium, Hollywood, California.

1967, Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithfull joined up with The Beatles in Bangor North Wales to seek guidance from Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

1967, Small Faces, Move, The Gass, Tomorrow, Denny Laine, Jeff Beck, Eric Burdon and Marmalade all appeared on the first day of the 3-day non-stop happening ‘Festival of the Flower Children’ at Woburn Abbey, England. Plus DJ’s John Peel and Tommy Vance, day tickets cost £1.

1967, The Beatles held a press conference at University College in Bangor, North Wales with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The Beatles announced that they had become disciples of the guru and that they renounced the use of drugs. The four had become members of the Maharishi's 'Spiritual Regeneration Movement', which obligated them to donate one week's earnings each month to the organization.

1970, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Jimi Hendrix, (his last ever UK appearance), Donovan, Jethro Tull, Miles Davis, Arrival, Cactus, Family, Taste, Mungo Jerry, ELP, The Doors, The Who, Spirit, The Moody Blues, Chicago, Procol Harum, Sly and the Family Stone and Free all appeared over three days at the third Isle Of Wight Festival. Weekend tickets, £3.

1972, Looking Glass started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Brandy You're A Fine Girl', it didn't chart in the UK.

1973, 10cc made their live debut at the Palace Lido Isle of Man at the start of an UK tour. Comprising of Graham Gouldman, Eric Stewart, Kevin Godley and Lol Creme, who had written and recorded together for some three years before assuming the 10cc name

1977, Uriah Heep, Thin Lizzy, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Eddie and the Hot Rods, Golden Earing, Aerosmith, Doobie Brothers, Hawkwind, Racing Cars, John Miles, Graham Parker, The Enid, No Dice and Frankie Miller's Full House all appeared at the 17th three day Reading Festival, England. A three day ticket cost £7.95.

1978, Frankie Valli went to No.1 on the US singles chart with the Barry Gibb song 'Grease'. It went on to sell over 2 million in the States (a No. 3 hit in the UK).

1978, Fleetwood Mac, The Cars, Todd Rundgren, Bob Welsh and Eddie Money all appeared at Cleveland Stadium, Cleveland, Ohio.

1981, Ottawa City Council named 'Paul Anka Day' to celebrate his 25th anniversary in show-business. The council also named a street in Ottawa 'Paul Anka Drive' in his honour. The Canadian singer songwriter had written over 900 songs including the classic ‘My Way’.

1987, Sonny Bono, who once said that he never voted until he was 53, announced that he was running for mayor of Palm Springs, California. He won the election in 1988 and went on to win a seat in Congress in 1996.

1988, The first day at this years three day Reading Festival featuring Iggy Pop, Starship, Squeeze, Ramones, Meat Loaf, Bonnie Tyler, Hothouse Flowers, Deacon Blue, Quireboys, Broken English, three day ticket £24.

1993, A double sided acetate of The Beatles performing live at The Cavern in Liverpool sold for £16,500 at Christies, London, a world record price for a recording.

1994, Scottish singer Frankie Miller suffered a massive brain haemorrhage in New York, while writing material for a new band he and Joe Walsh from The Eagles had formed. Miller spent five months in a coma. He then entered rehabilitation, re-learning how to walk and talk.

1995, Blur scored their first UK No.1 single with 'Country House' and won a media battle with Oasis for the No.1 position. Both acts released their new singles on the same day, 'Country House' topped the chart, selling 270,000 copies, compared to 220,000 sold by 'Roll with It', seeing Oasis entering the chart at No.2.

1995, Seal went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Kiss From A Rose', taken from the film 'Batman Forever' a No.4 hit in the UK.

1996, The Corrs appeared at The Carrickdale Hotel, Dundalk Ireland.

1997, Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers was admitted to hospital after crashing on his motorbike while driving down Sunset Boulevard.

2000, Douglas Allen Woody former bass player with The Allman Brothers was found dead in New York.

2001, Maxwell started a two-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Now'. Staind went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Break The Cycle'.

2003, Rolling Stone Magazine named Jimi Hendrix as the greatest guitarist in Rock history. Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Chuck Berry, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Ry Cooder also made the top 10 list.

2004, US Cinematographer David Myers died after suffering a stroke. He worked of various music films including Woodstock, Elvis On Tour, The Last Waltz, The Grateful Dead Movie, Mad Dogs & Englishmen and Cracked Actor: A Film About David Bowie.

2004, Singer Laura Branigan died of a brain aneurysm. She had had a 1982 US No.2 & UK No.6 single with ‘Gloria’ and a 1984 US No.4 & UK No.5 with ‘Self Control’. She had also played Janis Joplin in the US musical Love, Janis.

2005, A plaque was unveiled by fellow Quarrymen John Duff Lowe and Colin Hantonat at the site where the band which was to become The Beatles made their first recordings. John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison recorded a version of Buddy Holly's ‘That'll Be The Day’ and a Lennon-Harrison song, ‘In Spite Of All The Danger’ as The Quarrymen at the Percy Philips studio in Liverpool in 1958.

2005, A post office near the Los Angeles studio where Ray Charles recorded much of his music was renamed after the R&B legend. A federal bill was signed by US President George Bush to rename the post office. Charles, died in June 2004 at the age of 74, suffering from acute liver disease.

2005, Green Day were named best band on the planet at the 12th annual Kerrang! rock awards, they also won best live act. Welsh metal group Funeral For a Friend won best British band, while New Jersey's My Chemical Romance picked up best album and best video. Iron Maiden were inducted into the Kerrang! Hall of Fame and Marilyn Manson took the Icon Award. Best single went to Foo Fighters' ‘Best of You’ while Trivium were named best international newcomers. ‘Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor was named classic songwriter while Killing Joke were given a lifetime achievement accolade.

2007, Police who raided the home of US rap star DMX, found 12 neglected pit bull terrier dogs and a number of guns. The bodies of three more dogs had been buried. No arrests were made and DMX told police he had not been at the property in Arizona for at least two months. The rapper who had launched his own range of dog clothing, including caps, scarves and raincoats for canines also featured on the cover of his latest album, Year of the Dog... Again, with a pit bull straining at the leash.

2007, High School Musical 2 soundtrack album was at No.1 on the US chart. The Disney album stayed at No.1 for 4 weeks. The premiere of the musical brought in a total of 17.2 million viewers in the United States, almost 10 million more than its predecessor, making it the highest rated basic cable broadcast in U.S. history.

August 26th: Born on this day

1940, Born on this day, Nik Turner, Hawkwind, (1972 UK No.3 single 'Silver Machine').

1941, Born on this day, Chris Curtis, drums, The Searchers, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Needles And Pins'1964 US No.3 single 'Love Potion Number Nine'). Died on 1st March 2005 at the age of 63 after a long illness.

1948, Born on this day, Jet Black, (Brian Duffy), drums, The Stranglers, (1982 UK No.2 single 'Golden Brown', and over 20 other top 40 hits).

1948, Born on this day, Valerie Simpson, singer, Ashford and Simpson, (1985 UK No.3 single 'Solid').

1950, Born on this day, Bill and Dick Cowsill, The Cowsills, (1967 US No.2 single 'The Rain The Park & Other Things', 1969 US No.2 single the theme from 'Hair'). TV's Partridge Family was based on the family.

1952, Born on this day, Billy Rush, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, (1978 album 'Hearts Of Stone').

1954, Born on this day, Michael Chetwood, Keyboards, T'Pau, (1987 UK No.1 single 'China In Your Hand', 1987 US No.4 single 'Heart And Soul').

1954, Born on this day, Steve Wright, BBC radio DJ and TV presenter, (1982 UK No.40 single 'I'm Alright').

1957, Born on this day, John O'Neill, The Undertones (1980 UK No.9 single 'My Perfect Cousin').

1965, Born on this day, Annie Holland, Elastica, (1995 UK No.13 single 'Waking Up').

1966, Born on this day, Dan Vickrey, guitarist, Counting Crows (1994 UK No.28 single 'Mr Jones', 1996 US No.1 album 'Recovering The Satellites').

1967, Born on this day, Jeff Tweedy, singer, songwriter, guitarist, Wilco, (2004 album 'A Ghost Is Born').

1969, Born on this day, Adrian Young, drummer, No Doubt, (1997 UK No.1 single 'Don't Speak', 1997 No.1 US album 'Tragic Kingdom').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2011 at 09:28
August 27th: On this Day

1964, The Honeycombs were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Have I The Right', the group's only UK No.1.

1964, During a North American tour The Beatles, performed a show at Cincinnati Gardens, Cincinnati, Ohio, in front of 14,000 fans.

1965, On the last day of a five-day break from their North American tour, The Beatles, attended a recording session for The Byrds. Later that afternoon, The Beatles met Elvis Presley at his mansion in Beverly Hills. It was an awkward meeting, leaving The Beatles with the impression that Presley's personality was decidedly "unmagnetic". John Lennon remarked soon after, “Where’s Elvis? It was like meeting Engelbert Humperdinck.”

1966, The Beach Boys 'God Only Knows' peaked at No.2 on the UK singles chart.

1967, British music entrepreneur and the manager of The Beatles Brian Epstein was found dead, locked in a bedroom at his London home. A coroner's inquest concluded that Epstein died from an overdose of the sleeping pill Carbitrol. He also managed several other artists including Gerry & The Pacemakers, Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas, Cilla Black and The Remo Four. The first contract between The Beatles and Epstein was auctioned in London in 2008, and was sold for £240,000.

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin played two shows at the Casino Ballroom in Hampton Beach, New Haven.

1977, The Floaters were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Float On'. The only UK hit for the Soul/funk act from Detroit, making them One-hit Wonders.

1977, Singer songwriter Jimmy Buffett married his second wife, Jane sl*gsvol, they later separated for 9 years, but have since reunited.

1982, During a North American tour Queen appeared in Myriad, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

1983, Barry Manilow appeared at Blenheim Palace the British stately home.

1988, 'Monkey' gave George Michael his eighth US No.1 single of the 1980s, a record only beaten by Michael Jackson.

1988, Tracy Chapman went to No.1 on the US album chart with her self-titled album.

1990, Stevie Ray Vaughan was killed when the helicopter he was flying in, hit a man-made ski slope while trying to navigate through dense fog. Vaughn had played a show at Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, Wisconsin with Robert Cray & His Memphis Horns, and Eric Clapton. Vaughan was informed by a member of Clapton's crew that three seats were open on a helicopter returning to Chicago with Clapton's crew, it turned out there was only one seat left; Vaughan requested it from his brother, who obliged. Three members of Eric Clapton's entourage were also killed. In

2003, Rolling Stone magazine ranked Stevie Ray Vaughan #7 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitarist's of all time.

1992, John Lennon's handwritten lyrics to The Beatles song ‘A Day In The Life’ sold at an auction for $87,000, (£47,220).

1993, This years UK 3 day Reading Festival kicked off with headline acts New Order, The The, The Lemonheads, Rage Against The Machine, Dinosaur JR, plus on the Melody Maker stage, Blur, Radiohead, The Boo Radleys and Shampoo.

1994, Boyz II Men started a 14 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I'll Make Love To You', a No.5 hit in the UK. The record- breaking 14 week stay came to an end when they knocked themselves from the top with 'On Bended Knee'.

1999, The Charlatans, Blur, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Offspring, Catatonia, Reef, The Chemical Brothers, The Divine Comedy, Pavement, Silverchair, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion all appeared at The Carling Reading three day festival, England, tickets, £78.

2000, Percussionist Richard Jaeger died. Worked with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, The Pointer Sisters.

2001, Five were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Let's Dance', the group's final UK No.1.

2003, P Diddy was being sued for $5m (£3.20m) by a woman who claimed she was assaulted by a bouncer outside his New York restaurant. Stephanie Grieso, said she was arguing outside Justin's in August 2002 when a bouncer grabbed her by the neck and pushed her down on the pavement, causing leg injuries.

2003, Singer songwriter Janis Ian, married her lesbian partner, Patricia Snyder in Toronto. It was the second marriage for both.

2004, Winners at this years Kerrang! awards included The Darkness for best British band and best live band, best band on the planet award went to Metallica. Green Day were inducted into the Kerrang! Hall of Fame, Lostprophets won the best single for ‘Last Train Home’ and best album went to Muse for ‘Absolution’.

2004, Green Day, The Darkness, The White Stripes, Morrissey, The Libertines, Franz Ferdinand, The Hives, 50 Cent, (50 Cent was booed off stage after being greeted by a rain of bottles thrown at him and his G-Unit crew as they came onstage). The Streets, The Vines, Soulwax, Dogs Die In Hot Cars, The Offspring, Ash, Placebo and Lostprophets all appeared at this years UK Carling Weekend in Reading and Leeds, England.

2006, The Rolling Stones played at the Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield, England on their ‘A Bigger Bang’ world tour.

2006, Beyonce featuring Jay-Z was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Deja Vu.'

2007, Kevin Federline's lawyers asked Britney Spears to pay some of her former husband's legal expenses in their divorce case. His legal team said Federline had "no net income" after various expenses, and that Ms Spears was "clearly the monied party" in the dispute. According to legal documents filed in Los Angeles, the pop star's average monthly income was $737,868 (£365,966). The couple had married in October 2004 and filed for divorce in November 2006.

August 27th: Born on this day

1937, Born on this day, Phil Shulman, Simon Dupree And The Big Sound, (1967 UK No.9 single 'Kites'). Gentle Giant.

1942, Born on this day, B.J. Thomas, singer, (1970 US No.1 & UK No.38 single 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head').

1942, Born on this day, Daryl Dragon, The Captain and Tennille, (1980 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Do That To Me One More Time').

1945, Born on this day, Malcolm Allured, Showaddywaddy, (1976 UK No.1 single 'Under The Moon Of Love', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles).

1947, Born on this day, percussionist David Leon ‘Billy’ Knight, (1973 US No.1 single 'Midnight Train To Georgia', 1975 UK No.4 single 'The Way We Were' plus 20 other UK Top 40 singles). Died on 6th December 2002.

1951, Born on this day, Kevin Kavanaugh, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, (1978 album 'Hearts Of Stone').

1953, Born on this day, Alex Lifeson, guitarist, Rush, (1980 UK No.13 single 'Spirit Of Radio' 1982 US No. 21 single 'New World Man'). Lifeson was made an Officer of the Order of Canada on May 9, 1996. The trio was the first rock band to be so honored, as a group.

1956, Born on this day, Glen Matlock, bass, The Rich Kids, (1978 UK No.24 single 'Rich Kids'), and early member of The Sex Pistols and the reformed Sex Pistols.

1970, Born on this day, Tony Kanal, bass, No Doubt, (1997 UK No.1 single 'Don't Speak', 1997 No.1 US album 'Tragic Kingdom').

1977, Born on this day, Mase, US male rapper (Mason Betha), 1998 UK No. 2 single with Brandy, 'Top Of The World' also worked with Puff Daddy, Blackstreet, Notorious B.I.G.

1979, Born on this day, Sarah Neufeld, violinist, Arcade Fire, (2005 album ‘Funeral’).

1986, Born on this day, US R&B singer Mario, (born Mario Dewar Barrett), US R&B singer, (2004 US No.1 and 2005 UK No.2 single 'Let Me Love You').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2011 at 12:40
August 28th: On this Day

1961, Joe Dowell went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Wooden Heart'.

1961, Tamla Records released the Marvelettes first single, ‘Please Mr. Postman’. The song went on to sell over a million copies and become the group's biggest hit, reaching the top of both the Billboard Pop and R&B charts.

1964, After playing a show at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, New York, The Beatles met Bob Dylan for the first time at The Delmonico Hotel. Dylan and mutual journalist friend Al Aronowitz introduce the Fab Four to marijuana.

1965, The Beach Boys 'California Girls' was at No.3 on the US singles chart, the single peaked at No.26 in the UK.

1965, The Rolling Stones announced that Allen Klein, who they had met three days earlier, would co-manage the group along with Andrew Long Oldham. At the same time, The Stones signed a five-year recording deal with Decca Records.

1965, Bob Dylan played the first night of a 40 date North American tour at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium in New York City. Dylan played the first set solo and was backed by a band consisting of Robbie Robertson, Levon Helm, Harvey Brooks and Al Kooper in the second set. This format, one acoustic and one electric set was kept through-out the tour.

1966, Nearing the end of their final tour of America, The Beatles performed one show at Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, California, before a crowd of 45,000. The Beatles' attempt to escape from the stadium in an armored truck is thwarted when the main gate was found to be locked, and The Beatles have to spend two hours in the back of the truck before they can leave the stadium.

1967, The Kinks, Dave, Dee, Beaky, Mick and Tich, The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown all appeared at the Hastings Stadium Festival Of Music in Hastings, England. Tickets 10 shillings, ($1.53).

1968, Simon and Garfunkel started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Bookends'.

1968, The Beach Boys were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Do It Again', the group's second and final UK No.1.

1968, Working at Trident Studios, London, The Beatles started recording a new John Lennon song ‘Dear Prudence’. They built the song instrument by instrument, utilizing the 8-track equipment at Trident. John and George played guitars, while Paul plays drums to compensate for Ringo, who had quit The Beatles on August 22.

1970, During a four-week engagement at The International Hotel in Las Vegas, a security guard at the hotel received a phone call in which he was told Elvis Presley would be shot during his last show. The person demanded $50,000 to reveal the name of the potential killer. Later that day a menu was found in Elvis’ mail at the hotel on which Elvis’ face was destroyed and a gun had been drawn pointing to his heart. The threats were taken very seriously. Elvis played his last show without any incident.

1972, Alice Cooper was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'School's Out'.

1981, Producer Guy Stevens died at the age of 38 years old, having overdosed on prescription drugs he was taking to reduce his alcohol dependency. Worked with Mott The Hoople, Free and The Clash. He was the president of the Chuck Berry Appreciation Society and it was Stevens who brought Berry to the UK for his first tour. He gave Procol Harum and Mott the Hoople their distinctive names.

1982, During a North American tour Queen appeared at the Kemper Arena, Kansas City, Missouri.

1984, The Jacksons' Victory Tour broke the record for concert ticket sales after they surpassed the 1.1 million mark in two months.

1988, Kylie Minogue set a new UK record when her debut album 'Kylie' became the biggest selling album by a female artist in Britain with sales of almost two million.

1993, Billy Joel started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'River Of Dreams.' Joel claimed most of the music came to him in his sleep, hence the title. The singers second wife, one time model Christie Brinkley, painted the album cover which was later voted worst album cover of the year.

1993, German-based multi-national dance act Culture Beat started a four-week run at No.1 in the UK singles chart with 'Mr Vain'. It was the first UK No.1 single not to be available in a 7" version.

1996, Issac Hayes, who co-wrote the Sam and Dave's classic ‘Soul Man’, sent a protest letter to presidential candidate Bob Dole, requesting Dole to stop using his song, which supporters had changed to ‘I’m A Dole Man.’

1998, Geri Halliwell announced that she was selling off her Spice Girls clothes in a charity auction. The PVC cat suit she used to wear was up for £5000 knee high boots for £1200 and the Union Jack dress she wore to the Brit Awards for £8000.

1999, Cheap Trick played a gig in Rockford, Illinois, celebrating their 25th anniversary as a band. They were joined on stage by Slash.

2005, Rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight was admitted to hospital after being shot in the leg at a party hosted by hip hop star Kanye West. The party was held at a club in Miami, Florida, to celebrate this year’s MTV Video Music Awards.

2005, Green Day cleaned up at this years MTV awards held in Miami winning seven awards including, Video of the Year for ‘Boulevard of Broken Dreams’ and the Viewer's Choice Award. Best Male Video went to Kanye West for ‘Jesus Walks’, Best Choreography went to Gwen Stefani for ‘Hollaback Girl’ and Breakthrough Video went to Gorillaz for ‘Feel Good Inc.’ The awards went ahead despite concerns over Hurricane Katrina, which hit Florida last week, and after a shooting at a pre-awards party. Record boss Suge Knight was shot in the leg during at a party for Kanye West.

2005, Hilary Duff was at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Most Wanted' the actress turned singer's fourth album.

2005, Art Garfunkel was charged by police for possession after a marijuana cigarette was allegedly found in the ashtray of his car. Garfunkel had pleaded guilty the previous year to possession of marijuana in upstate New York.

2005, Oasis went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Importance Of Being Idle' their 8th No.1 single taken from their 6th album Don't Believe the Truth.

2009, Noel Gallagher quit Oasis, saying he could no longer work with his brother Liam. Noel, the group's lead guitarist and chief songwriter, had recently been involved in a series of rows with front man Liam, and admitted he and his brother rarely spoke, did not travel together and only saw each other on stage. The guitarist said: "It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight. The band were due to play the Rock en Seine festival in Paris but cancelled at the last minute. When the support band said Oasis would not be performing, many fans thought it was a joke, but then screens at either side of the stage showed the message: "As a result of an altercation within the band, the Oasis gig has been cancelled."

August 28th: Born on this day

1939, Born on this day, Clem Cattini, drums, The Tornadoes (1962 UK & US No.1 single 'Telstar'). The first major hit from a UK act on the American chart. Cattini has featured on a record 44 different UK number one singles, from artists such as Tom Jones, T. Rex, The Seekers, Bay City Rollers, Rolf Harris and Hot Chocolate.

1942, Born on this day, Sterling Morrison, guitar, Velvet Underground, (1968 song 'White Light White Heat'). Morrison died of cancer on 30th August 1995.

1943, Born on this day, Ann Lantree, The Honeycombs, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Have I The Right').

1943, Born on this day, David Soul, actor, singer (1977 UK & US No.1 single 'Don't Give Up On Us').

1946, Born on this day, Ken Andrews, Middle Of The Road, (1971 UK No.1 single 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep').

1948, Born on this day, Danny Seraphine, drums, Chicago, (1976 UK & US No.1 single 'If You Leave Me Now').

1949, Born on this day, Hugh Cornwell, guitar, vocals, The Stranglers, (1982 UK No.2 single 'Golden Brown', and over 20 other Top 40 hits). Solo.

1949, Born on this day, Martin Lamble drums, Fairport Convention, (1969 UK No.21 single 'Si Tu Dois Partir'). Killed on 14th May 1969 when the bands van crashed on the way home from a gig in Birmingham, England.

1951, Born on this day, Wayne Osmond, Vocals, The Osmonds, (1971 US No.1 single 'One Bad Apple', 1971 US 1974 UK No.1 single 'Love Me For A Reason', plus 9 other US & UK Top 40 singles).

1961, Born on this day, Kim Appleby, singer, Mel and Kim, (1987 UK No.1 single 'Respectable').

1965, Born on this day, Shania Twain, Canadian singer, (Eilleen Regina Edwards), biggest selling UK album of 1999, 'Come On Over.' Sold over 34 million world wide. 1999 UK No.3 single 'That Don't Impress Me Much'.

1969, Born on this day, Mary McCartney, a daughter to Paul and Linda McCartney Mary was named after Paul's mother (who he mentioned in the song 'Let It Be').

1969, Born on this day, Jack Black, actor, comedian and musician. One half of the comedy/rock duo Tenacious D with Kyle Gass.

1974, Born on this day, Peter Turner, bass, Elbow, won the Mercury Music Prize for their 2008 album ‘The Seldom Seen Kid’.

1986, Born on this day, Florence Welch, singer, Florence and the Machine, (2009 UK No.1 album ‘Lungs’).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2011 at 12:55
August 29th: On this Day

1958, Alan Freed's Big Beat Show opened at the Fox Theatre in Brooklyn. Those performing included Frankie Avalon, Jimmy Clanton, Chuck Berry, Bobby Freeman, Bill Haley and his Comets and The Elegants.

1959, The Quarry Men (John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ken Brown) performed at the Casbah Coffee Club, Hayman's Green, West Derby, Liverpool. This is the opening night of a new teen club in a large Victorian house that is owned by Mrs. Mona Best and the first of seven straight Saturdays that The Quarry Men play here. The band shared one microphone connected to the house P.A.

1964, Rob Orbison's ‘Oh, Pretty Woman’ was released in the US. It went on to reach No.1 four weeks later.

1966, The Beatles played their last concert before a paying audience, at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, California to a sold-out crowd of 25,000. John and Paul, knowing what the fans do not (that this will be the last concert ever) bring cameras on stage and take pictures between songs. During this tour, The Beatles have not played a single song from their latest album, ‘Revolver’. They finished the show with a version of Little Richards 'Long Tall Sally'.

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin played the first of two nights at the Singer Bowl Music Festival in Flushing Meadow Park.

1970, Edwin Starr started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'War', his only No.1a No.3 in the UK.

1970, Led Zeppelin, The Youngbloods, Iron Butterfly and The Ides of March all appeared at the Man Pop Festival, Winnipeg, in Canada.

1976, Jimmy Reed died in San Francisco following an epileptic seizure just before his 51st birthday. Reed was a major influence on The Rolling Stones, he had the 1957 hit ‘Honest I Do’ in 1957 and ‘Baby What You Want Me To Do’ in 1960.

1976, The Sex Pistols supported by The Clash and The Buzzcocks appeared at The Screen On The Green, London, England.

1977, Three people were arrested in Memphis after trying to steal Elvis' body. As a result, his remains would be later moved to Graceland.

1978, The first night of a four date UK tour by the Patti Smith group at The City Hall Newcastle, with special guests The Pop Group tickets £1.50- £3.

1980, During a North American tour Queen appeared at the Forum, Montreal, Canada.

1981, Aneka was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Japanese Boy', the Scottish folk singer Mary Sandeman's only Top 40 hit sold over 5 million copies around the world.

1981, Electric Light Orchestra scored their second UK No.1 album with 'Time'.

1981, The two day Rock on the Tyne festival began in Gateshead, England, featuring Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, U2, Rory Gallagher, Doll By Doll, Wang Chung, Becket, Dr Feelgood, The Gingers Nutters (featuring Ginger Baker), Trimmer and Jenkins and Lindisfarne.

1984, U2 kicked off their Unforgettable Fire World Tour at Christchurch Town Hall in New Zealand, the first of 19 shows in Australia and New Zealand.

1987, Lee Marvin, actor and singer died, (UK 1970 UK No.1 single 'Wand'rin Star' from the film 'Paint Your Wagon').

1987, Def Leppard scored their first UK No.1 album with 'Hysteria', which also became No.1 on the US chart in July the following year after spending forty-nine weeks working its way to the top.

1987, Los Lobos started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'La Bamba', also a No.1 hit in the UK. Taken from the film about the life of Ritchie Valens.

1987, Rick Astley's debut hit 'Never Gonna Give You Up', started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart. It became the biggest selling single of 1987 and the song won Best British Single at the 1988 Brit Awards.

1988, During the European leg of his Bad tour Michael Jackson appeared at Roundhay Park in Leeds, England.

1990, Elton John checked into a rehab center in Chicago to receive treatment for bulimia, alcoholism and drugs.

1991, At 7pm, DJ Kurt St. Thomas from radio station WFNX in Boston gave Nirvana’s album ‘Nevermind’ its world premiere by playing the album from start to finish.

1992, The Smiths went to No.1 on the UK album charts with the 'Best... 1' compilation album.

1992, U2 became only the second act ever (Billy Joel was the first) to play at The Yankee Stadium in New York City, during their sold out Zoo TV tour.

1994, Oasis released their debut album 'Definitely Maybe', it went on to spend 177 weeks on the UK chart.

1996, Liam Gallagher was reunited with the rest of Oasis in Chicago after a week of speculation on their future of the group, after he had walked out on the band a few days earlier.

1998, Rockabilly pioneer Charlie Feathers died aged 66. He had hits with 'Peepin' Eyes,' 'Defrost Your Heart,' 'Tongue-Tied Jill,' and 'Bottle to the Baby' on Sun Records, Meteor and King Records in the 1950s.

1999, Lou Bega went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Mambo No 5', originally recorded and composed by Perez Prado in 1949.

2000, Slipknot caused chaos at this years Kerrang! Awards, after smashing glasses, setting fire to their table, throwing a monitor off the stage and destroying a microphone. The band picked up 3 awards including best single and best live act.

2003, Winners at this years MTV Video Music awards held in New York included, Missy Elliot, Video of the year for 'Work It', Viewers Choice award, 'Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous' Good Charlotte, Rap Video went to 50 Cent for 'In Da Club', Pop Video, Justin Timberlake, 'Cry Me A River.' Madonna stunned a packed Radio City Hall audience by passionately kissing Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera during a racy version of 'Like A Virgin.'

2004, Prodigy went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned’, the group's third UK No.1.

2005, 77-year-old Fats Domino was rescued from the flooding in New Orleans caused by Hurricane Katrina. He had earlier told his agent that he planned to remain in his home despite the order to evacuate.

2006, The Beatles' ‘Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band’ was voted the best #1 album of all time by the British public. The album released in 1967, topped the poll to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the UK album chart. The Beatles had a total of four albums in the top 10, with ‘Revolver’ at six, ‘Abbey Road’ at eight and The Beatles ‘White Album’ at 10.

2007, The Police kicked off the European leg of their world Reunion tour at the Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden.

2008, US rapper DMX pleaded guilty to trying to buy cocaine and cannabis in Miami. The 37-year-old singer, real name Earl Simmons, entered the plea in a Florida court and was sentenced to time served. Simmons was still in custody awaiting extradition to the state of Arizona on outstanding drug and animal cruelty charges.

2008, Organisers of a French music concert threatened legal action after Amy Winehouse pulled out of her performance. Winehouse failed to travel to the three-day Rock En Seine festival in Paris where the line-up included the Raconteurs, The Streets and Kate Nash. The 24-year-old singer was said to have been taken ill at her London home. Organisers said they were given just two hours notice that Winehouse, who was headlining the concert, would not be appearing.

2009, Arctic Monkeys started a two week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Humbug’ the bands third album.

2009, George Strait was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Twang’, the country singer, songwriter’s 26th studio album.

2009, The Los Angeles coroner confirmed Michael Jackson's death was homicide, primarily caused by the powerful anaesthetic Propofol. The singer suffered a cardiac arrest at his Los Angeles home in June, aged 50. The report said Propofol and the sedative Lorazepam were the "primary drugs responsible for Jackson's death", but four further drugs were also found.

August 29th: Born on this day

1924, Born on this day, Dinah Washington, US singer, (1959 US No.8 single 'What A Diff'rence A Day Makes', 1961 UK No.35 single 'September In The Rain'). She died on 14th December 1963.

1943, Born on this day, Dick Halligan Keyboards, flute, vocals, Blood Sweat & Tears, (1969 US No.12 & UK No.35 single 'You've Made Me So Very Happy').

1945, Born on this day, Chris Copping, Procol Harum, (1967 UK No.1 & US No.5 single 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale').

1953, Born on this day, Rick Downey, Blue Oyster Cult, (1978 UK No.16 single 'Don't Fear The Reaper').

1958, Born on this day, Elizabeth Fraser, vocals, Cocteau Twins, (1984 UK No.29 single 'Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops).

1958, Born on this day, Michael Jackson, singer, songwriter, The Jackson Five (1970 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'I Want You Back') The Jacksons, (1977 UK No.1 single 'Show You The Way To Go'), solo (1983 UK & US No.1 single 'Billie Jean', 11 other US No.1's & 40 UK top 40 singles). Jackson died on 25th June 2009 at the age of 50, after suffering heart failure at his home in Beverly Hills. Prior to his death, Jackson had been scheduled to perform 50 sold-out concerts to over one million people, at London's O2 arena, from July 13, 2009 to March 6, 2010.

1959, Born on this day, Eddi Reader singer, songwriter, Fairground Attraction, (1988 UK No.1 single 'Perfect'), solo (1994 UK No.33 single 'Patience of Angels').

1963, Born on this day, Jerry Fehily, Hothouse Flowers, (1988 UK No.11 single 'Don't Go').

1967, Born on this day, Chris Gorman, drums, Belly, (1993 UK No.32 single 'Feed The Tree').

1971, Born on this day, Alex Griffin, Neds Atomic Dustbin, (1991 UK No.16 single 'Happy').

1975, Born on this day, Kyle Cook, guitarist, Matchbox 20, (1998 UK No.38 single 'Push', 2000 US No.1 single 'Bent').
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2011 at 12:38
August 30th: On this Day

1962, The Beatles played at the Cavern Club, Liverpool, at lunchtime and at the Riverpark Ballroom in Chester at night with Gerry & the Pacemakers.

1965, During a US tour The Beatles appeared at the Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood, California. Tickets cost $3.00.

1969, Elvis Presley had the No.1 album in the UK with 'From Elvis in Memphis'

1969, Two weeks after the Woodstock festival, the second Isle of Wight festival took place. Over 150,000 turned up over the two days to see Bob Dylan, The Band, Blodwyn Pig, Blonde On Blonde, Bonzo Dog Dooh Dah Band, Edgar Broughton Band, Joe Cocker, Aynsley Dunbar, Family, Fat Mattress, Julie Felix, Free, Gypsy, Richie Havens, The Moody Blues, The Nice, Tom Paxton, Pentangle, The Pretty Things, Third Ear Band and The Who. Tickets 25 shillings, ($3.00). Celebrities who attended include Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, John & Yoko, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Jane Fonder, Liz Taylor and Richard Burton.

1969, One hit wonders Zager and Evans started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'In The Year 2525.' The song that was written by Rick Evens in 1964, also spent six weeks at No.1 on the US chart.

1969, The three day Texas Pop Festival took place featuring Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, Sam & Dave, Santana, Johnny Winter, Grand Funk Railroad, Delaney & Bonnie, Nazz, Spirit, BB King, Canned Heat and Chicago. Over 120,000 fans attended the festival.

1970, The Rolling Stones kicked off a 20-date European tour in Malmo Sweden.

1972, John Lennon and Yoko Ono played Madison Square Gardens to raise money for the One to One charity. Stevie Wonder, Sha Na Na and Roberta Flack also appeared at the event. Lennon personally bought $60,000 worth of tickets which were given to volunteer fund-raisers. Several of the performances were later included on Lennon’s, Live in New York City album.

1975, KC and the Sunshine Band went to No.1 on the US singles chart with, 'Get Down Tonight', the group's first of five No.1's it made No.21 in the UK.

1975, Guitarist with Free and Back Street Crawler, Paul Kossoff 'died' for 35 minutes in hospital after being taken ill. (Kossoff died on 19th March 1976 of heart failure after a history of drug abuse).

1975, Rod Stewart had his fifth UK No.1 album when 'Atlantic Crossing' started a five-week run at the top of the charts.

1978, Patti Smith appeared at The Odeon, Edinburgh, Scotland.

1982, During a North American tour Queen appeared at McNichols Arena, Denver, Colorado.

1986, Steve Winwood went to No.1 on the US singles chart with, 'Higher Love', a No.13 hit in the UK.

1988, Papa Dee Allen from War died after suffering a massive heart attack while performing on stage at a gig in Solano County, California.

1988, Bruce Springsteen's wife Julianne filed for a divorce after newspapers published photos of Springsteen and backing singer Patti Scialfa together.

1989, Billy Joel fired his manager and former brother in law Frank Weber, after an audit revealed discrepancies. Joel took Weber to court and sued for $90 million.

1989, Izzy Stradlin from Guns N' Roses was arrested for making a public disturbance on a US air flight. Stradlin had urinated on the floor, verbally abused a stewardess and smoked in the non-smoking section of the aircraft.

1992, Appering at this year’s Reading Festival, England, Suede, Ride, Pavement, Public Enemy, Manic Street Preachers, (bassist Nicky Wire smashes his guitar in two and hurls it into the crowd, hitting a security guard who needs 16 stitches). This was one of the most famous in the festival's history. Nirvana played what was to become their last UK concert, and one of their most famous. Kurt Cobain took to the stage in a wheelchair pushed by music journalist Everett True, parodying speculations about his mental health.

1993, The Late Show with David Letterman premiered on CBS television in the US, with Billy Joel as the first musical guest.

1994, Oasis performed a selection of new songs at London's Virgin Mega store Marble Arch. Main man from The Lemonheads Evan Dando joined the band for a new song called 'Whatever'.

1995, Sterling Morrison founder member of the Velvet Underground died of cancer at his home in New York City two days after his 53rd birthday. The guitarist left the group in August 1971 and re-joined in 1992 for a European tour. During the 80’s he became the Captain of a Houston tugboat.

1995, Carly Simon and James Taylor performed live together in front of 10,000 fans on Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts. It was the first time they appeared live on the same stage since 1979. The former couple played their own solo sets before combining their efforts in raising money for the local agricultural society.

1997, Members from The Wu-Tang Clan were arrested after the alleged assault on a record promotions manager after a show in Chicago.

1997, The Notorious B.I.G. featuring Puff Daddy & Mase went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Mo Money Mo Problems', a No.6 hit in the UK.

1999, During a US tour R.E.M. appeared at the Chastain Park Amphitheatre Atlanta with Wilco.

2003, Stella McCartney married publisher Alasdhiar Willis on Scotland's Isle Of Bute. Guest's included Sir Paul McCartney, Madonna, Chrissie Hynde and Coldplay's Chris Martin.

2003, Blu Cantrell feat Sean Paul were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with ‘Breath’, Beyonce was at No.1 on the US charts with ‘Crazy In Love’ and R. Kelly had the Australian No.1 single with ‘Ignition (Remix).’

2004, Winners at the 2004 MTV Video Music awards included, Usher for Best Male Video for ‘Yeah’, Best Video went to Outkast for ‘Hay Ya’, Best Group Video No Doubt for ‘It’s My Life’ and Best Rock Video went to Jet for ‘Are You Gonna Be My Girl.’

2007, Rap star Lil Wayne was sued by a woman for $1m who claimed she was crushed at one of his concerts after a large amount of cash was thrown into the audience. Tyrique Layne, then 17, said she lost consciousness after being trampled by the crowd at a gig in Maryland in October 2006, and had suffered memory loss and severe headaches.

August 30th: Born on this day

1935, Born on this day, John Phillips, The Mamas and the Papas, (1966 US No.1 and UK No.3 single 'Monday Monday'). Phillips died of heart failure aged 65 on 18th March 2001.

1939, Born on this day, John Peel, BBC radio DJ and TV presenter, John Robert Parker Ravenscroft. Longest running BBC Radio 1 and most influential British DJ ever. Died in Cuzco, Peru of a heart attack on 25th October 2004 aged 65.

1941, Born on this day, John McNally, The Searchers, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Needles And Pins', 1964 US No.3 single 'Love Potion Number Nine').

1944, Born on this day, Charles Colbert, American Breed, (1967 US No.5 & UK No. 24 single 'Bend Me Shape Me').

1950, Born on this day, Micky Moody guitar, Juicy Lucy (1970 UK No.14 single 'Who Do You Love'), Whitesnake, (1987 US No.1 & UK No.9 single 'Here I Go Again').

1951, Born on this day, Dana, (Rosemary Brown), 1970 Irish Eurovision Song Contest winner, UK No.1 single 'All Kinds Of Everything'.

1952, Born on this day, Kenny Andrews, Darts (1978 UK No.2 single 'Boy From New York City').

1954, Born on this day, Ronald Beitle, drummer, Wild Cherry, (1976 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Play That Funky Music').

1958, Born on this day, Martin Jackson, drums, Magazine, (1978 UK No.41 single 'Shot By Both Sides'), Swing Out Sister, (1986 UK No.4 single 'Breakout').

1961, Born on this day, Keith McKenzie, The Shamen, (1992 UK No.1 single 'Ebeneezer Goode').

1963, Born on this day, Paul Oakenfold, Producer, remixer, DJ. Toured with U2, remixed for Simply Red, M People, New Order, Stone Roses and U2.

1964, Born on this day, 1964, Robert Clivilles , producer and DJ with C&C Music Factory, (1991 UK No.4 single with ‘Things That Make You Go Hmmm...’ 1991 US No.1 single with ‘Gonna Make You Sweat’).

1966, Born on this day, Peter Cunnah, D:Ream, (1994 UK No.1 single ‘Things Can Only Get Better’).

1986, Born on this day, George Ryan Ross III, lead guitarist, singer, Panic at the Disco. (2008 Australian No.1 and US & UK No.2 album 'Pretty.Odd.).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2011 at 13:18
August 31st: On this Day

1956, The top 10 songs in the UK singles chart were all by American artists including Elvis Presley, The Platters, Doris Day, Frankie Lymon and The Teenagers and Gogi Grant.

1957, Elvis Presley appeared at the Empire Stadium in Vancouver, Canada. This was only the third time ever Presley had performed outside of the U.S. and for Elvis it would be the last. 26,000 fans attended the show with tickets costing $1.50, $2.50 and $3.50.

1963, The girl trio Angels started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with ‘My Boyfriend’s Back’. The writers of the song Bob Feldman, Jerry Goldstein and Richard Gottehrer were a trio of Brooklyn songwriter/producers who went on to write the hits ‘Sorrow’ and have the
1965 US No.11 single as The Strangeloves with ‘I Want Candy’.

1963, The Ronettes first entered the US singles chart with ‘Be My Baby’ the girl group’s only top 10 hit. Lead singer, Veronica Bennett who became Ronnie Spector, took producer and ex-husband Phil Spector to court in the late 1990s for unpaid royalties.

1965, Sonny & Cher arrived in the UK for their first promotional visit.

1965, During a North American tour The Beatles played two shows at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, California to a total of 28,700 fans.

1968, The Move, The Pretty Things, The Crazy World Of Aurthur Brown, Orange Bicycle, Jefferson Airplane, Fairport Convention and Tyrannosaurus Rex all appeared at the first Isle Of Wight Festival held over two days. Tickets, 25 shillings, ($3.00).

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at the Texas International Pop Festival in Lewisville. Also on the bill: BB King, The Incredible String Band, Sam & Dave and Janis Joplin.

1971, The Rolling Stones plus the father of Brian Jones, filed a high court writ against ex managers Oldham and Easton. Claiming they made a secret deal with Decca Records in 1963 to deprive the group of royalties.

1974, Rolling Stone Keith Richards was quoted as saying; 'I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had six months to live.'

1974, Traffic made their last live performance at the annual UK Reading Festival. Other acts appearing included; Alex Harvey, 10cc, Focus, Steve Harley and Procol Harum. £5.50 for a weekend ticket.

1975, Rod Stewart and the Faces, Loggins & Messina, Fleetwood Mac and Lynyrd Skynyrd all appeared at Balboa Stadium, San Diego, California.

1976, George Harrison was found guilty of 'subconscious plagiarism' of the Ronnie Mack song 'He's So Fine' when writing 'My Sweet Lord'. Earnings from the song were awarded to Mack's estate; The Chiffons then recorded their own version of 'My Sweet Lord'.

1980, Karen Carpenter married real estate developer Thomas Burris in Beverly Hills, California.

1980, During a North American tour Queen appeared at the Convention Centre, Rochester, New York.

1984, 'Purple Rain' the movie-starring Prince opened at cinemas across the UK with special late night previews.

1985, 'Brothers In Arms' by Dire Straits started a nine-week run at No.1 on the US album charts. The album also topped the charts in 25 other countries and went on to sell over 20 million worldwide.

1985, UB40 with guest vocals from Chrissie Hynde had the UK No.1 single with their version of the Sonny Bono song 'I Got You Babe' a hit for Sonny & Cher in 1965.

1986, After living together for 10 years Bob Geldof married TV presenter Paula Yates in Las Vegas with Duran Duran singer Simon Le Bon as the best man. Yates died of a drug overdose on 17th September 2000.

1987, The largest pre-order of albums in the history of CBS Records occurred as 2.25 million copies of Michael Jackson's ‘Bad’ album were shipped to record stores in the US. The LP followed the Jackson album, ‘Thriller’, the biggest Jackson-seller of all time (over 35 million copies sold). ‘Bad’ went on to sell over 13 million copies.

1989, The Rolling Stones kicked off the Budweiser sponsored 61-date North American 'Steel Wheels' tour at the Veteran's Stadium, Philadelphia.

1990, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt and Stevie Wonder sang ‘Amazing Grace’ at a memorial service held for guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan who had been killed in a helicopter crash 4 days earlier.

1991, Guns N' Roses, Skid Row and Nine Inch Nails all appeared at London's Wembley Stadium.

1991, Jason Donovan and the original London cast from the show, 'Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat went to No.1 on the UK album chart.

1991, Metallica started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with, 'Metallica'. The album featured ‘Enter Sandman’ ‘Sad But True’, ‘The Unforgiven’ and ‘Nothing Else Matters’ went on to sell over 10 million copies in the US alone.

1997, Oasis went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their third album 'Be Here Now.' The album had sold over a million copies on the first day of release.

2000, The Strokes appeared at The Mercury Lounge in New York City.

2002, NASA announced that Lance Bass, singer with *NSYNC, was to become the first celebrity astronaut. His $23.8 million (£14 million), place on a Russian Soyuz module would make him the youngest person at 23 years of age to go into orbit. Bass ended up not taking part in the flight after failing to pay for his $20 million ticket on the craft.

2003, The Darkness started a four week run at No.1 on the UK chart with ‘Permission To Land’ the UK bands debut album.

2003, Nelly, P. Diddy and Murphy Lee were at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Skae Your Tailfeather.' Neptunes were at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘The Neptunes Present Clones.’

2003, Elton John went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Are You Ready For Love.' The song was recorded in 1977 and released in 1979, when it reached No.42. It was used by Sky TV for their Premiership football ads,

2004, Carl Wayne the singer with The Move died from cancer. They had the 1969 UK No.1 single 'Blackberry Way.' Wayne also worked with The Hollies.

2004, UK medical magazine Thorax issued a warning to music fans saying that listening to loud music in the car can give you a collapsed lung. One 19 year-old had been treated in Bristol after his left lung collapsed as his 1,000-watt bass box boomed out in his Fiat Panda.

2006, The Times ran a story on the demands of rock stars when on tour. Ozzy Osbourne insists on an eye, ear, nose and throat doctor at each venue. The Beach Boys require a licensed masseur, Meat Loaf a mask and one small tank of oxygen. David Bowie requests that the dressing room temperature is between 14c and 18c and Paul McCartney must have a large arrangement of white Casablanca lilies in his dressing room. Mick Jagger must have an onstage autocue with the lyrics to all the songs, it would also tell him the name of the city in which they were performing.

2007, Hilly Kristal, founder of the New York punk club CBGB died from complications arising from lung cancer at the age of 75. Kristal was credited with discovering Patti Smith and The Ramones and his club became a breeding ground for punk rock. The New York City venue, whose full title CBGB OMFUG stood for 'country, bluegrass, blues and other music for uplifting gourmandisers', was originally launched to showcase country music.

2008, The Verve started a two week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with their final album ‘Forth’.

August 31st: Born on this day

1939, Born on this day, Jerry Allison, drums, The Crickets, (1957 US No.1 single 'That'll Be The Day', No.1 single 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore' plus over 15 other UK top 40 singles).

1940, Born on this day, Wilton Felder, The Crusaders, (1979 UK No.5 & US No.36 single 'Street Life').

1944, Roger Dean, English artist. Designed album covers for Yes, Atomic Rooster, Uriah Heep, Gentle Giant, Greenslade, Steve Howe, Asia.

1945, Born on this day, Van Morrison, singer, songwriter, Them, (1965 UK No.2 single 'Here Comes The Night'), solo, (1970 album 'Moondance', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 albums).

1948, Born on this day, Rudolf Schenker, The Scorpions, (1991 UK No.2 single 'Wind Of Change').

1955, Born on this day, Anthony Thistlethwaite, The Waterboys, (1991 UK No.3 single 'Whole Of The Moon', first released in 1985).

1957, Born on this day, Gina Schock, drums, The Go-Go's, (1982 US No.2 single, 'We Got The Beat', 1982 UK No.47 single 'Our Lips Are Sealed').

1957, Born on this day, Glenn Tilbrook, guitar, vocals, Squeeze, (1979 UK No.2 single 'Up The Junction'). Now solo.

1959, Born on this day, Tony DeFranco, The DeFranco Family, (1973 US No.3 single 'Heartbeat-It's A Lovebeat', biggest selling US single of 73. Based on The Osmonds, featured 10 year-old Tony DeFranco).

1967, Born on this day, Gerard Love, bass, Teenage Fanclub, (1992 UK No.31 single 'What You Do To Me').

1970, Born on this day, Debbie Gibson, US singer, (1988 US No.1 & UK No.9 single 'Foolish Beat').

1977, Born on this day, Craig Nicholls, singer, songwriter, guitarist, The Vines, (2002 UK No. 3 album ‘Highly Evolved’).

1977, Born on this day, Del Marquis, (Derek Gruen), guitar, Scissor Sisters, (2004 UK No.1 self-titled album, 2004 UK No. 12 single ‘Laura’).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2011 at 12:30
September 2nd: On this Day

1962, Johnny Cash appeared at the Buck Lane Ranch, Angola, Indiana.

1964, On tour in the USA The Beatles appeared at The Convention Hall, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Days before the concert, Philadelphia had experienced race-riots, The Beatles, who were Civil Rights supporters, were shocked to see that their audience of 13,000 is completely white.

1964, The Rolling Stones recorded their version of the Willie Dixon song ‘Little Red Rooster’ at Regent Sound Studios in London, England.

1965, Steam Packet with Long John Baldry, Rod Stewart, Julie Discoll and The Brian Auger Trinity appeared at the Marquee Club, London.

1965, The Doors recorded their first demo’s at World Pacific Jazz Studios in Los Angeles, California, where they cut six Jim Morrison songs.

1971, Grateful Dead's former manager was arrested after disappearing with over $70,000 of the bands money.

1972, Rod Stewart was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'You Wear It Well', the singers second UK No.1 was taken from his album 'Never A Dull Moment.'

1972, The Erie Canal Soda Pop Festival was held over three days on Bull Island, near Griffin, Indiana. The Promoters expected over 50,000 music fans over 200,000 attended the festival. Many bands pulled out as the festival drifted steadily into anarchy. Bands that did appear included Flash Cadillac & the Continental Kids, Black Oak Arkansas, Cheech and Chong, Foghat, Albert King, Brownsville Station, Canned heat, Flash, Ravi Shankar, Rory Gallagher, Lee Michaels and Frosty, The Eagles, The Amboy Dukes, and Gentle Giant. Three concert goers drowned in the Wabash River and as the festival ended, the remnants of the crowd burned down the music stand.

1974, David Bowie played the first of seven sold-out nights on his Diamond Dogs Tour at the Universal Amphitheater in Los Angeles, California.

1978, George Harrison married Arias at Henley-on-Thames register office.

1978, Teddy Pendergrass, the former lead singer of Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes, set out to promote his latest album ‘Life Is A Song Worth Singing’ by performing a concert for women only.

1984, U2 played the second of two nights at the Logan Cambell Centre, Auckland, New Zealand during their Unforgettable Fire World tour.

1987, David Bowie played Madison Square Garden, New York on the 'Glass Spider' world tour.

1988, The Human Rights Now!' world tour kicked off at Wembley Stadium London with Sting, Bruce Springsteen, Peter Gabriel, Tracy Chapman and Youssu n'Dour. Taking in five continents and claiming to be the most ambitious rock tour in history.

1989, Ozzy Osbourne was charged with threatening to kill his wife Sharon. Ozzy was released on the condition that he immediately went into detox, the case was later dropped when the couple decide to reconcile.

1989, Paula Abdul scored her third US No.1 single of the year with 'Cold Hearted' a No.46 hit in the UK.

1989, Richard Marx went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Repeat Offender'.

1994, English dancer, singer, television presenter and musician, Roy Castle died of lung cancer two days after his 62nd birthday. In the mid 60’s he had his own TV show and presented the long running TV show Record Breakers in the 70’s until 1994.

1995, Michael Jackson went to No.1 on the US singles chart with a song written by R. Kelly 'You Are Not Alone'. It holds a Guinness World Record as the first song in the 37 year history of the Billboard Hot 100 to debut at No.1.

2000, As part of their UK 'Under A Big Top Tour', Radiohead played the first of two nights at Tredegar House in Newport, Wales.

2000, Madonna was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Music', her 10th UK No.1 single, from her album of the same title. The video stars Madonna as well as comedian Sacha Baron Cohen as his famous character Ali G.

2001, American saxophonist Jay Migliori died of cancer aged 70. As a session musician he recorded with The Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra and Frank Zappa and was the founding member of Supersax, a tribute band to Charlie Parker.

2001, J.Lo was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I'm Real' and Blue scored their first UK No.1 single with 'Too Close.'

2001, Slipknot went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Iowa'.

2002, Thieves broke into the London home of Icelandic singer Bjork and stole valuable recording equipment. The 36-year-old singer was asleep in the flat at the time of the incident.

2005, Mariah Carey became only the fifth act ever to hold the top two positions in the US Hot 100 singles chart. The singer's ‘We Belong Together’ notched a 10th consecutive week at number one on the Billboard chart while ‘Shake It Off’ jumped two places to second place. The feat puts Carey in a select group of acts to hold the top two with Nelly, OutKast, The Bee Gees and The Beatles. ‘We Belong Together’ was Carey's 16th number one, giving her the third highest number of chart-toppers in the US behind the Beatles and Elvis Presley.

2005, Kanye West criticised President Bush's response to Hurricane Katrina during a televised benefit concert in New York. The show, which was raising funds for relief efforts, featured Leonardo DiCaprio, Richard Gere, Glenn Close, Harry Connick Jr and Wynton Marsalis. Appearing alongside comedian Mike Myers for a 90-second segment West told the audience: "George Bush doesn't care about black people." The comment went out live on the US east coast, but was cut from a taped version seen on the west coast.

2006, Lead singer of the Isley Brothers, Ronald Isley was sentenced to three years in a US prison for multiple counts of tax fraud. The 64-year-old, was also ordered to pay more than $3.1m (£1.62m) to the US tax service for "pathological" evasion. The court heard he cashed royalty cheques belonging to his brother O'Kelly, who died in 1996 and also spent millions of dollars made from undeclared performances on a yacht and two homes.

2006, Christina Aguilera was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Back to Basics’ the album was also No.1 in 12 other countries.

2007, 17 year-old Jamaican-American singer Sean Kingston went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with ‘Beautiful Girls’, also a US No.1. The song samples the bassline from Ben E. King's classic 'Stand by Me'.

2009, Guy Babylon, keyboard player with the Elton John Band died of a heart attack while swimming in his pool at his home in Los Angeles, California.

September 2nd: Born on this day

1925, Born on this day, Hugo Montenegro, composer, died 6th Feb 1981, (1968 UK No.1 & US No.2 single 'The Good The Bad And The Ugly', from the soundtrack to the Clint Eastwood spaghetti western film).

1925, Born on this day, Russ Conway, pianist, composer, (1959 UK No.1 single 'Side Saddle', plus 17 other UK Top 40 hits). Conway died on 16th November 2000.

1939, Born on this day, Bobby Purify, singer, (1976 UK No.12 single 'I'm Your Puppet').

1939, Born on this day, Sam Gooden, singer, The Impressions, (1965 US No.7 single 'Lilies Of The Field').

1940, Born on this day, Jimmy Clanton, US singer, (1962 US No.2 single 'A Part Of Me').

1943, Born on this day, Rosalind Ashford, The Vandellas, (1962 US No.2 & 1969 UK No.4 single with The Vandellas, 'Dancing In The Street'), Ashford and Simpson, (1985 UK No.3 single 'Solid').

1943, Born on this day, Joe Simon, singer, (1975 US No.8 single 'Get Down, Get Down On The Floor').

1946, Born on this day, Marty Greb, Keyboards, The Buckinghams, (1967 US No.1 single 'Kind Of A Drag').

1946, Born on this day, Billy Preston, US singer, keyboard player. (1973 US No.1 single 'Will It Go Round In Circles', 1978 UK No.2 single with Syreeta 'With You I'm Born Again', and 1969 single 'Get Back' with The Beatles. Died on June 6, 2006.

1951, Born on this day, Mik Kaminski, violin, Electric Light Orchestra, (1979 UK No.3 & US No. 4 single 'Don't Bring Me Down' plus 26 other UK Top 40 hits).

1957, Born on this day, Steve Porcaro, Keyboards, Toto,(1983 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Africa').

1958, Born on this day, Fritz McIntyre, Simply Red, (1986 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Holding Back The Years').

1958, Born on this day, Jerry Augustyniak, 10,000 Maniacs (1993 UK No.47 single 'Candy Everybody Wants').

1959, Born on this day, Paul Deakin, drums, The Mavericks, (1998 UK No.4 single 'Dance The Night Away').

1969, Born on this day, Cedric Hailey, (K-Ci), Jodeci, vocals, (1995 UK No.17 single 'Freak 'N' You').

1975, Born on this day, Tony Thompson, Hi-Five, (1991 US No.1 & UK No.43 single, 'I Like The Way, The Kissing Game').

1987, Born on this day, Spencer James Smith, drummer, Panic at the Disco. (2008 Australian No.1 and US & UK No.2 album 'Pretty.Odd.).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2011 at 13:21
September 3rd: On this Day

1955, Band leader Mitch Miller had the US No.1 with a song that was written in 1853, ‘The Yellow Rose Of Texas.’

1955, Bill Haley & his Comets turned down a $2,000 offer for a 15-date tour of Australia because of their fear of flying.

1962, After playing a lunchtime show at The Cavern in Liverpool, The Beatles played the first of three Monday night gigs at The Queen’s Hall, Widnes, Cheshire. Also on the bill, Billy Kramer and the Coasters, Rory Storm and the Hurricanes and Sonny Kaye and the Reds. Tickets cost 3/6.

1964, During a US tour The Beatles played two shows at the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis. They were paid $85,000 for the shows, tickets cost $4.00.

1965, A Rolling Stones gig in Dublin, Ireland ended in a riot after 30 fans jumped onto the stage. Jagger was knocked to the floor as the rest of the band fled the stage.

1966, Donovan went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Sunshine Superman', a No.2 hit in the UK. The track featured then Yardbird and future Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page. The song was written for Donovan's future wife Linda Lawrence.

1967, During a 10-date tour of Sweden, The Jimi Hendrix Experience appeared at the Liseburg in Gothenburg.

1968, After a two week absence, Ringo Starr rejoined The Beatles. Upon Ringo's return to the studio, he found his drum kit covered with flowers to welcome him back.

1970, Alan Wilson guitarist and songwriter with Canned Heat was found dead at fellow band-members Bob Hite's garden in Topanga Canyon, Los Angeles aged 27. With Canned Heat, Wilson performed at two prominent concerts of the 1960s era, the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 and Woodstock in 1969. Canned Heat appeared in the film Woodstock, and the band's 'Going Up the Country,' which Wilson sang, has been referred to as the festival's unofficial theme song. Wilson also wrote 'On the Road Again,' arguably Canned Heat's second-most familiar song.

1970, It was reported that the Bob Dylan bootleg album 'Great White Wonder' had sold over 350,000 copies world-wide.

1970, Arthur Brown was arrested at the Palermo Pop '70 Festival in Italy, after he set fire to his helmet (during the performance of his hit 'Fire'), and stripped naked during his stage performance.

1977, The month after his death, Elvis Presley had 27 albums and 9 singles in the Top 100 charts in the UK. 'Moody Blue' was the No.1 album while 'Way Down' was No.1 on the singles chart, (putting him equal with the Beatles, each amassing 17 No.1 hits).

1982, The three day US Festival in San Bernardino, California took place featuring, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, The Police, The Cars, Talking Heads, The Kinks, Ramones, B52's, The English Beat, Gang Of Four, The Grateful Dead, Pat Benatar, Jackson Browne. Apple Computers founder Steven Wozniak bankrolled the festival.

1983, The Eurythmics went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)'.

1983, UB40 had their first UK No.1 single with 'Red Red Wine'. Taken from their album Labour of Love the song was a cover of the 1968 Neil Diamond hit song. The re-released single was a US No.1 in 1988.

1990, R.E.M. started recording sessions for their Out Of Time album at Bearsville Studios, Woodstock, New York.

1991, Ike Turner was released from prison having served 18 months of a four-year prison term, (Ike had been arrested ten other times). In an interview with 'Variety' he claimed to have spent over $11 million on cocaine.

1991, During a European tour, Nirvana recorded ‘Dumb’, ‘Drain You’ and ‘Endless Nameless’ at Maida Vale studios in London for the BBC Radio 1 John Peel show.

1991, During her 101 date I'm Your Baby Tonight World Tour, Whitney Houston played the first of 10 dates at Wembley Arena, London.

1999, The largest music bootleg bust in US history was made. It was estimated that this one operation alone was responsible for $100 million in lost revenues. Recording equipment valued at $250,000 was confiscated, as were almost 1 million CDs and tapes.

2000, British Boy band A1 went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of the 1985 A-Ha hit 'Take On Me'.

2000, Madonna started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Music.'

2000, Robbie Williams started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Sing When You're Winning'.

2002, The Rolling Stones 40th anniversary Licks tour kicked off at the Fleet Centre Boston. Tickets for the best seats cost $224. The world tour would see the band playing to over 2.5m fans over 100 shows.

2003, Libertines singer Pete Doherty was sentenced to six months in jail after being found guilty to burglary and drug possession charges. His sentence was reduced to two months on appeal.

2004, Songwriter and producer Billy Davis died in New York after a long illness. He co-wrote Jackie Wilson's, ‘Reet Petite’ and the jingle ‘I'd Like To Buy The World A Coke.’ Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes and Gladys Knight all recorded his songs.

2004, Sir Cliff Richard stunned the music industry by ending his contract with EMI records and signing with Eminem’s label Universal Music. Cliff had sold over 250 million records with EMI during his 46 year career.

2005, Blues musician Fats Domino was rescued from New Orleans shortly after Hurricane Katrina hit the city. The 77-year-old singer had been reported missing since the storm in New Orleans which had flooding the city leaving thousands feared dead.

2005, Gorillaz were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Dare', lead vocals on the track are taken by Shaun Ryder, formerly with the Happy Mondays.

2006, Kasabian went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Empire' the UK bands second album.

2006, Hundreds of Paris Hilton albums were tampered with in record stores in Bristol, Brighton, Birmingham, Newcastle, Glasgow and London in the latest stunt by "guerrilla artist" Banksy. Banksy had replaced Hilton's CD with his own remixes and gave them titles such as ‘Why am I Famous?’, ‘What Have I Done?’ and ‘What Am I For?’. He had also changed pictures of her on the CD sleeve to show the US socialite topless and with a dog's head.

2006, Justin Timberlake featuring Timbaland was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'SexyBack' his first UK No.1 hit. The track won Timberlake and Timbaland the 2007 Grammy Award for Best Dance Recording. It was the longest-running No.1 single of 2006 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, staying seven weeks at the top.

2007, During a US tour with Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance singer Gerard Way married Mindless Self Indulgence bassist Lyn Z after a gig in Colorado.

2008, R&B singer Ne-Yo was awarded $700,320 (£395,580) after he was dropped from a US tour with R. Kelly. The singer claimed he was fired as Kelly's opening act last November because fans and critics preferred him - an allegation his co-star denied.

2008, Heavy metal band Slipknot scored their first US number one album - but only after a recount put them ahead of rapper The Game's latest release. Slipknot topped the US chart with their fourth studio album All Hope Is Gone which, according to analysts Nielsen SoundScan, sold 239,516 copies - 1,134 more than the Games album.

2009, Madonna's Sticky and Sweet world became the highest grossing tour ever for a solo artist tour making $408m (£250m). The 51 year old singer had performed in 32 countries.

2010, Mike Edwards a founding member of ELO was killed in a freak accident when a giant bale of hay tumbled down a hill and crashed into his van. The 62 year-old cellist died after the 600 kg (1,323 lb) bale rolled down a steep field in Devon, southern England, smashed through a hedge and careered on to the road. Edwards played cello with ELO, the seven-piece band led by Jeff Lynne, from their first live gig in 1972 until he left in January 1975. He quit the band in 1975 to become a Buddhist, changing his name to Deva Pramada and making his living by teaching the cello.

September 3rd: Born on this day

1934, Born on this day, blues guitarist Freddie King. Eric Clapton covered his 'Have You Ever Loved A Woman' on the 'Layla' album. Died on 27th December 1976 of heart trouble and Ulcers aged 42.

1942, Born on this day, Al Jardine, guitar, vocals, The Beach Boys, (1966 UK & US No.1 single 'Good Vibrations', plus over 25 other UK Top 40 singles).

1944, Born on this day, Gary Leeds, The Walker Brothers, (1966 UK No.1 & US No.13 single 'The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore').

1945, Born on this day, George Biondo, Steppenwolf, (1969 UK No.30 single 'Born To Be Wild').

1947, Born on this day, Eric Bell, Thin Lizzy, (1973 UK No.6 single 'Whisky In The Jar').

1948, Born on this day, Donald Brewer, drummer, Grand Funk Railroad, (1974 US No.1 single 'The Locomotion'). Most successful US Heavy Metal band of the 70's selling over 20m albums. Also worked with Bob Seger.

1952, Born on this day, Leroy Smith, Sweet Sensation, (1974 UK No.1 single with 'Sad Sweet Dreamer').

1957, Born on this day, Suzanne Freitag, Propaganda, (1985 UK No.21 single 'Duel').

1962, Born on this day, Lester Noel, Beats International, (1990 UK No.1 single 'Dub Be Good To Me' featuring vocalist former actress in TV's 'Grange Hill', Lindy Layton, produced by Norman Cook).

1973, Born on this day, Jennifer Paige, US singer, (1998 UK No.4 single, 'Crush'.

1973, Born on this day, David Mead, US singer, songwriter. (2001 UK airplay hit ‘Girl On The Roof’).

1979, Born on this day, Tomislav 'Tomo' Milichevich Sarajevo, lead guitarist, 30 Seconds to Mars.

1980, Born on this day, Jay 'Cone' McCaslin, bass, Sum 41, (2001 UK No 13 single 'In Too Deep').

1984, Born on this day, Robert Curry, US singer with Day26, also known as a contestant on the TV show Making the Band 4.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2011 at 08:46
September 4th: On this Day

1954, To coincide with the release of his second Sun single, ‘Good Rockin' Tonight’, Elvis Presley, along with Bill Black and Scotty Moore made their first appearance at The Grand Old Opry. The audience reaction was so poor, the Opry's manager, Jim Denny told Elvis that he should go back to driving a truck.

1959, Dick Clark's traveling show opened at the Michigan State Fair in the US. The line-up included Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, Duane Eddy, The Coasters, LaVern Baker and Jan and Dean.

1961, The Highwaymen started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Michael', also made No.1 in the UK. The group were made up of five university students.

1962, The Beatles' first formal recording session at EMI's Abbey Road studios took place. George Martin was unhappy with a previous session on June 6, so he called The Beatles back into the studio to try again. They recorded six songs, including ‘Love Me Do’ and ‘Please Please Me.’

1965, The Beatles started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Help', the title of their second film and the group's ninth US No.1.

1965, The Who had their van stolen containing over £5000 worth of equipment outside the Battersea Dogs Home. The band were inside the home at the time buying a guard dog. The van was later recovered.

1968, The Bee Gees had their second UK No.1 single with 'I've Gotta Get A Message To You'.

1968, The Beatles recorded promotional videos for ‘Hey Jude’ and ‘Revolution’ at Twickenham Film Studios. The vocals are recorded live over the pre-recorded instrumental tracks to get round the current British Musicians Union ban on lip-sync performances. For ‘Hey Jude’, The Beatles were accompanied by a 36-piece orchestra and 300 fans and other assorted extras who join in singing the long refrain.

1969, The film 'Easy Rider' starring Jack Nicholson Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper opened at The Classic London.

1971, Taken from the album 'Ram', Paul and Linda McCartney went to No.1 on the US singles chart with the US only released 'Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey'. McCartney's first US solo No.1.

1971, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Canada.

1972, Concessionaire Francisco Caruso was killed during a Wishbone Ash concert in Texas after refusing to give a fan a free sandwich.

1972, John Lennon and Yoko Ono appeared on Jerry Lewis' Muscular Dystrophy Telethon Show on US television.

1976, Fleetwood Mac went to No.1 on the US album chart with their self-titled album after being on the charts for over a year. The album went on to sell over 5 million copies in the US and was the first of three No.1 albums for the group.

1976, The Bee Gees went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'You Should Be Dancing', the group's third US No.1, a No.5 hit n the UK.

1976, The Sex Pistols made their television debut when they appeared on the Manchester based Granada TV program 'So It Goes'.

1979, The Grateful Dead played the first of three nights at Madison Square Garden, New York, New York City.

1980, A new version of Yes, with Chris Squire, Steve Howe, Alan White, Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn played the first of three sold out nights at New York's Madison Square Garden.

1982, Survivor were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the theme from the film Rocky III 'Eye Of The Tiger', their only chart topper. Survivor won the Grammy Award for Best Rock Performance for the song.

1982, The Steve Miller Band started a two week run at No.2 on the US singles chart with 'Abracadabra' the group's third US No.1, a No.2 hit in the UK.

1982, During a North American tour Queen appeared at PNE Coliseum, Vancouver, Canada.

1984, U2 played the first of five nights at Sydney Entertainment Centre in Australia during their Unforgettable Fire World tour.

1986, After just getting his driving license back after a five-year suspension, Gregg Allman from The Allman Brothers Band was arrested in Florida for drunk driving.

1987, Mike Joyce drummer with The Smiths, quit the band saying that 'the present role within the group had been fulfilled'.

1995, Kula Shaker appeared at 'In The City', the UK music industry showcases held in Manchester.

1995, Blur, Oasis, Radiohead, Paul Weller, Manic St Preachers and The Stone Roses all recorded tracks for the 'War Child' charity album, which was released five days later. All profits went to children caught up in the current war in former Yugoslavia.

1996, Oasis created outrage at the MTV awards held at New York's Radio City Hall. During the bands performance of 'Champagne Supernova' singer Liam spat on stage and threw a beer into the crowd.

1999, Enrique Iglesias was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Ballamos'.

2005, Mike Gibbins drummer with Badfinger died in his sleep at his Florida home aged 56. Badfinger had the 1970 UK No.4 & US No.7 single 'Come And Get It'. He had also been a member of The Iveys during the 60’s.

2005, McFly went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Wonderland’ the group's second No.1 album.

2007, The Police played the first UK date on their Reunion tour when they played two nights at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, England.

2008, The first guitar torched on stage by Jimi Hendrix sold for £280,000 at an auction of rock memorabilia. The Fender Stratocaster was burned at the end of a show at the Astoria in Finsbury Park, north London, in 1967. The sale held in London also included the Beatles' first management contract, signed in 1962 by all four members of the group and manager Brian Epstein, sold for £240,00.

2008, Friends and family of Michael Jackson paid their last respects to the singer at a funeral held at Glendale's Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Los Angeles. Dame Elizabeth Taylor, Quincy Jones, Macaulay Culkin, Berry Gordy and Lisa Marie Presley were among the 200 invited guests. The singer's family arrived in a motorcade of 31 vehicles, Jackson's brothers - Randy, Jackie, Tito, Jermaine and Marlon - acted as pallbearers carrying Jackson’s gold-plated coffin.

September 4th: Born on this day

1942, Born on this day, Bubba Knight, The Pips, (1973 US No.1 single 'Midnight Train To Georgia', 1975 UK No.4 single with Gladys Knight 'The Way We Were').

1946, Born on this day, Ronald Lepread, The Commodores, (1978 UK & US No.1 single 'Three Times A Lady').

1946, Born on this day, Gary Duncan guitar, US acid rock band Quicksilver Messenger Service, (1970 US album 'Fresh Air').

1951, Born on this day, Martin Chambers, drums, Pretenders, (1980 UK No.1 single 'Brass In Pocket', 1983 US No.5 single, 'Back On The Chain Gang').

1960, Born on this day, Kim Thayil, Soundgarden, Guitar, (1994 UK No.12 single 'Black Hole Sun').

1963, Born on this day, Jan Stenfors, Hanoi Rocks, (1984 UK No.61 single 'Up Around The Bend').

1969, Born on this day, Sasha, producer, DJ, (1996 UK No. 17 single ‘Be As One’).

1970, Born on this day, Igor Cavalera, Sepultura, (1996 UK No.19 single 'Roots Bloody Roots').

1971, Born on this day, Ty Longley, guitarist, singer, Great White. Had the 1989 hit with a cover of Ian Hunter's 'Once Bitten Twice Shy'. Longley died on 20th February 2003 along with 100 fans after pyrotechnics ignited a club during a Great White gig in West Warwick, Rhode Island.

1972, Born on this day, Guto Pryce, bass, Super Furry Animals, (1999 UK No.11 single 'Northern Lines').

1974, Born on this day, Carmit Bachar, The Pussycat Dolls, (2005, US No.2 & UK No.1 with their debut single ‘Don't Cha’ featuring Busta Rhymes). The Pussycat Dolls became only the fourth ever girl band to enter the UK charts at No.1 with their debut single. (The other’s being the Spice Girls, B*Witched and Girls Aloud).

1975, Born on this day, Mark Ronson, UK music producer, artist and co-founder of Allido Records. Had the 2007 UK No.2 album 'Version’, and has produced Christina Aguilera, Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen and Robbie Williams.

1980, Born on this day, Dan Miller, O-Town, winners of US TV show 'Making The Band', (2001 US No.3 single 'All Or Nothing', 2001 UK No.3 single 'Liquid Dreams').

1981, Born on this day, Beyonce, singer with Destiny’s Child, (2000 US No.1 single with ‘Say My Name’ and a 2001 US & UK No.1 single and album 'Survivor' and a 2003 US & UK No.1 single with ‘Crazy In Love’ from the world-wide No.1 album 'Dangerously In Love'.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2011 at 12:40
September 5th: On this Day

1954, Kitty Kallen was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Little Things That Mean A Lot'. The American singer's only hit making her the first ever UK one hit wonder.

1956, Elvis Presley surprised his mother with a gift of a pink Cadillac. The car remained in the Presley family and eventually went on display at Graceland.

1963, The Rolling Stones kicked off their fourth UK tour at The Astoria London. A 32-date package tour with Mike Berry and the Innocents The Mojos and Simon Scott and the Leroy's.

1964, The Animals started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'House Of The Rising Sun'. When first released the record company printed the time of the song on the record as three minutes feeling that the real time of four minutes was too long for radio airplay.

1965, Sonny & Cher made their first live UK appearance when they appeared at the 100 Club in London.

1965, The Rolling Stones recorded their eighth single ‘Get Off Of My Cloud’ at RCA studios in Hollywood. The song peaked at No.1 in the US and the UK.

1966, John Lennon started work in Germany on his role as Private Gripweed in the film 'How I Won The War'.

1967, Working at Abbey Road studios, London, The Beatles began recording John Lennon’s new song ‘I Am the Walrus’, recording 16 takes of the basic backing track.

1968, On their first ever visit to the UK The Doors appeared on Top of The Pops performing ‘Hello I Love You’ live on the TV show.

1969, The Stooges made their New York debut at The Pavilion supporting MC5.

1971, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at Chicago International Amphitheatre.

1976, The Kursal Flyers supported by The Clash both appeared at The Roundhouse London.

1976, Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist Gary Rossington was seriously injured in a car crash in Florida.

1978, Joe Negroni from Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers died of a brain haemorrhage. (1956 UK No.1 & US No.6 single 'Why Do Fools Fall In Love').

1981, Bananarama released their first ever single 'Ai A Mwana', it failed to make the UK top 75 charts.

1981, Soft Cell were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of 'Tainted Love.' The song had been a hit for Gloria Jones in 1964. (Jones who became Marc Bolan's girlfriend was the driver of the car, that crashed and killed Bolan on 16 September 1977. Jones nearly died in the accident).

1981, Stevie Nicks went to No.1 on the US album with Bella Donna, featuring the tracks ‘Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around’ (the Tom Petty duet), ‘Leather and Lace’ (with Don Henley), ‘Edge of Seventeen’ and ‘After the Glitter Fades.’

1987, Ian Astbury of The Cult was arrested after a show in Vancouver ended in a riot. Staff at the concert claimed they were assaulted by Astbury, who spent the night in the local police cells.

1990, Ian Dury And The Blockheads drummer Charley Charles died of cancer. Scored the 1978 UK No.1 single ‘Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick’.

1992, Suede played a gig for fan club members at The White Horse in Hampstead London.

1994, Oasis appeared at The Hacienda in Manchester to celebrate the launch of their debut album 'Definitely Maybe'.

1998, Aerosmith scored their first US No.1 single with the Diane Warren written song 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing'.

1998, Manic Street Preachers scored their first UK No.1 single with 'If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next'. The group's 19th hit and the first Welsh act to have a No.1 single since Shakin' Stevens in 1985. The song is in the Guinness World Records as the longest title for a No.1 single without brackets.

1999, After spending 58 weeks on the UK album chart, Shania Twain went to No.1 with 'Come On Over'. It gave the Canadian singer the biggest selling UK album of the year.

2002, Heather Mills, Sir Paul McCartney's second wife accepted £50,000 libel damages over an article in the Sunday Mirror. The paper had suggested that Mills acted dishonestly over cash collected for an earthquake appeal.

2004, The Libertines went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their self-titled second album.

2004, US R&B singer Ciara started a six week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Goodies.'

2004, Nelly went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'My Place / Flap Your Wings.' The rapper's second UK No.1.

2006, Arctic Monkeys won this year's UK Mercury Prize for their album ‘Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not.’ The Sheffield-based bands album became the fastest-selling debut in chart history after shifting more than 360,000 copies in its first week of release in Feb 2006.

2008, A study of more than 36,000 people from around the world concluded that musical tastes and personality type were closely related. The research, which was carried out by Professor Adrian North of Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh in the UK suggested classical music fans were shy, while heavy metal fans were gentle and at ease with themselves. Fans of Indie music had low self-esteem and were not hard working, fans of Rap music had high self-esteem and were outgoing. Country & Western fans were hardworking and outgoing, Reggae fans were creative but not hardworking, and fans of chart pop had high self-esteem, were not creative, but where hardworking and outgoing.

2008, Reba McEntire went to No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Keep on Loving You’ the country singer, songwriter’s twenty fifth-studio album.

September 5th: Born on this day

1936, Born on this day, Willie Woods, Junior Walker and the All Stars, (1969 US No.4 single 'What Does It Take To Win Your Love'). Woods died of lung cancer on 27th May 1997.

1939, Born on this day, John Stewart, singer, songwriter with The Kingston Trio. As a solo artist he had a 1979 US No.5 single with ‘Gold’. He also wrote The Monkees hit ‘Daydream Believer’. Stewart died aged 68 after he suffered a massive stroke or brain aneurysm in San Diego on 19th Jan 2008.

1945, Born on this day, Al Stewart, UK singer, songwriter, (1977 UK No.31 & US No.8 single 'Year Of The Cat').

1946, Born on this day, Buddy Miles drummer with The Ink Spots, Wilson Pickett, Electric Flag and the Jimi Hendrix. Featured on the 1970 album Band Of Gypsies. Miles died on 28th Feb 2008 died aged 60 at his home in Austin, Texas after struggling with a long-term illness.

1946, Born on this day, Dean Ford, Marmalade, (1969 UK No.1 single 'Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da').

1946, Born on this day, Freddie Mercury singer, Queen, (1975 UK No.1 single 'Bohemian Rhapsody also UK No.1 in 1991, plus over 40 other UK Top 40 singles. 1980 US No.1 single 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love'). Solo, (1987 UK No. 4 single 'The Great Pretender'). Mercury died of bronchio-pneumonia on November 24th 1991 aged 45, just one day after he publicly announced he was HIV positive.

1946, Born on this day, Loudon Wainwright III, US singer, songwriter, (1973 US No.17 single 'Dead Skunk'). Once appeared in TV 's M.A.S.H. He is the father of Martha and Rufus Wainwright,

1949, Born on this day, Dave Clempson guitar, Humble Pie (1969 UK No.4 single 'Natural Born Bugie').

1954, Born on this day, Sal Solo, Classix Nouveaux, (1982 UK No.11 single 'Is It A Dream').

1966, Born on this day, Terry Ellis, vocals, En Vogue (1992 US No.2 & UK No.4 single 'My Lovin').

1968, Born on this day, Brad Wilk, drums, Rage Against The Machine, (1996 US No.1 album 'Evil Empire', 1993 UK No. 16 single 'Bullet In The Head'). Audioslave (2005 US No.1 album 'Out of Exile').

1980, Born on this day, Kevin Simm, vocals, Liberty X (2002 UK No.1 single 'Just A Little').
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>