Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trivia - music or otherwise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 241242243
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2024 at 12:04
Frightening statistic.

Access to clean and safe water is the "great connector" of our world and critical in promoting peace, according to the 2024 United Nations World Water Development Report released on World Water Day.

Globally, 2.2 billion people still live without access to safely managed drinking water and 3.5 billion people lack access to safely managed sanitation, according to the report.

The international agency's report aims to highlight how tensions over water access are leading to scarcity and stress over the essential resource — exacerbating conflicts across the world

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2024 at 14:17
Brits complaining about EU passport rules.

They should have thought about this before they voted to leave.

Serves them right 😊😊😊

Disappointed holidaymakers whose EU travel plans were ruined when they were caught out by the "10-year-passport rule" have been speaking to the BBC.

Until 2018, UK travellers could transfer up to nine months from an old passport on to a new one. But post-Brexit, EU countries will not accept passports more than 10 years old.

Those who were unaware of the change were turned away by passport control.

Some were able to rebook trips, but no one we spoke to was reimbursed.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2024 at 07:04

Gerry,

You asked the question on the Grove Radio show the other night about Easter here in the Philippines.

Easter is huge here and Holy Week up to Easter Sunday is celebrated in different ways according to many traditions.

Here in the province where we live there are processions, fiesta style celebrations, church activities and other assorted events.

In the capital city Manila things are quite different and on a much larger scale.

There are massive processions involving huge gatherings of people.

However there are the more brutal style of activities.

For example people carry a cross and a lot of flagalations or whipping of the cross bearer happens. 

Others get nailed to a cross and allegedly these are people who consider they have sinned in some way by committing serious offences that went unpunished and in this way they are seeking redemption for their sinful acts.

In Manila millions of people follow an adorned truck carrying a  black Nazarine  statue which is considered most sacred and has allegedly miraculous healing powers. As it moves along at pace from one place to another millions follow it in a frenzy of chanting trying to touch the sacred statue. Most of these people will have been fasting since Good Friday. During this frenzied procession many die as a result of being stampeded on, from exhaustion, dehydration from the crazy heat and other things like heart attacks. Those that die believe their death to be worth it.

I have never attended nor will I ever attend such gatherings.

They are barbaric and crazy to me to say the least but are considered traditions here.

On a lighter note Easter eggs don't feature here. Easter Sunday is a big family day with hundreds of people gathering at each other's homes, beaches, parks etc...to share lots of food and drinks and party because The Lord has arisen.

Throughout the year many fiestas are held all over the Philippines commerating whatever Saint represents that region, city or town.

Indeed in May there are hundreds of fiestas all over Bohol our province and we have been invited by a dear friend to one near our home. These are really just parties where you bring food, a cake, drinks etc...to share with everyone else. 

Ours will happen on 3rd of May.

So there you have it Gerry. 

They have a saying here " it's more fun in the Philippines" 😂😂

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2024 at 09:39
Sounds like a lot of fun OK Pat  - apart from the nailing to the cross bits Confused.

Very interesting all the same  thanks for sharing that info.

Happy Easter, have a lovely day...Smile
One of its legs is both the same
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2024 at 13:43
I tried that once, back when crucifixion was very popular. They asked me to cross my feet –"...'coz we only have one nail left"
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2024 at 13:46
Lol Pogue 😂😂😂😂

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 241242243