Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On This Day(In Music )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 13:54
May 11th: Born on this day

1888, Born on this day, Irving Berlin, composer of many pop, stage show and film hits. He emigrated from Siberia to New York as a child. He was the composer of ‘White Christmas’ and ‘Let’s Face The Music and Dance’. He died on September 22nd 1989.

1941, Born on this day, Eric Burdon, vocals, The Animals, (1964 UK & US No.1 single 'House Of The Rising Sun').

1943, Born on this day, Les Chadwick, Gerry And The Pacemakers, (1963 UK No.1 single 'You'll Never Walk Alone', 1965 US No.6 single, 'Ferry Across The Mersey').

1947, Born on this day, Butch Trucks, drums, The Allman Brothers Band, (1973 US No.12 single 'Ramblin Man').

1955, Born on this day, Gary Langan, Art Of Noise, (1988 UK No.5 single with Tom Jones 'Kiss').

1955, Born on this day, Susan Stenger, bass, vocals, Band Of Susans, (1988 album 'Hope Against Hope').

1965, Born on this day, Avtar Singh, bass, vocals, Cornershop, (1998 UK No.1 single ‘Brimful Of Asha’).

1966, Born on this day, Christoph "Doom" Schneider, drummer, Rammstein.

1983, Born on this day, Holly Valance, singer, actress, (2002 UK and Australian No.1 single 'Kiss Kiss').

1986, Born on this day in 1986, Kieren Webster, bass guitarist, vocalist, The View, (2007 UK No.1 album ‘Hats Off to the Buskers’).

May 11th: On this Day

1958, Connie Francis was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with a cover of the 1923 song 'Who's Sorry Now.' Francis was the first female rock 'n' roll star to reach No.1.

1963, The Beatles started a 30 week run at No.1 on the UK album charts with their debut album 'Please Please Me', making it the longest running No.1 album by a group ever. The bands follow up 'With The Beatles' replaced it at the top of the charts on 7th December 1963 and stayed there for 21 weeks.

1964, During a UK tour The Rolling Stones were refused lunch at The Grand Hotel, Bristol, where they were staying because they were not wearing jackets and ties. The following day the Daily Express ran the story with the headline, 'The Rolling Stones gather no lunch.'

1965, Roger Miller was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'King Of The Road.' The singer's only UK No.1. The Proclaimers had a UK No.9 hit with their version of the song in 1990.

1967, The Bee Gees made their Top Of The Pops debut performing 'New York Mining Disaster' on the UK TV show.

1970, The triple soundtrack album 'Woodstock' was released in the US, going gold within two weeks.

1972, John Lennon appeared on the US television 'Dick Cavett Show', claiming he was under surveillance from the FBI.

1973, Wings kicked off their first official tour at the Bristol Hippodrome, playing 15 UK shows.

1974, Led Zeppelin attended Elvis Presley show at the Los Angeles Forum in California. After a shaky start to the show, Elvis stopped the band and jokingly said: “Wait a minute…if we can start together fellas, because we’ve got Led Zeppelin out there, lets try to look like we know what were doing.” All four members of Zeppelin met with Elvis after the show, spending over 2 hours backstage. Elvis asked for all the group’s autographs for his daughter Lisa Marie.

1977, X-Ray Spex supported by Adam And The Ants appeared at The Man In The Moon, Chelsea, London.

1978, at the end of their News Of The World 46 date tour, Queen played three sold-out nights at Wembley Arena, London, England.

1979, Rod Stewart appeared at Cobo Arena, Detroit, on his 'Blondes Have More Fun' tour, tickets $12.50.

1980, Thin Lizzy appeared live at The Guildhall, Preston, England, tickets £3.50.

1981, Jamaican singer-songwriter Bob Marley died of lung cancer and a brain tumour aged 36. Had the 1981 single 'No Woman No Cry', plus over ten other UK Top 40 singles. In 1990, the 6th February was proclaimed a national holiday in Jamaica to commemorate his birth. The compilation album, Legend, released in 1984, is the best-selling reggae album ever with sales of more than 20 million copies. Time magazine chose Bob Marley & The Wailers' Exodus as the greatest album of the 20th century.

1985, Madonna went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Crazy For You', a No.2 hit in the UK.

1985, UK producer and keyboard player Paul Hardcastle was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with '19'. The title referred to the average age of American soldiers in the Vietnam War and features dialogue by television narrator Peter Thomas, and a strong anti-war message.

1985, Bruce Springsteen and a small group of friends went out for a boy’s night out in Lake Oswego, Oregon, two nights before his wedding to Julianne Phillips. Drinking in the Gemini pub Springsteen sang a number of songs, karaoke-style, to his own records in the jukebox.

1987, The UK indie chart had The Smiths at No.1 on with 'Sheila Take A Bow', No.2, The Cult, 'Lil' Devil' No.3, The Pogues, 'The Irish Rover. The CD chart, David Bowie No.1 'Never Let Me Down', 'Raindancing' Alison Moyet at No.2 and Genesis 'Invisible Touch' at No.3.

1990, 31 years after his death, Ritchie Valens was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

1991, Roxette scored their fourth US No.1 single with 'Joyride.' The song was inspired by an interview with Paul McCartney who said that writing songs with John Lennon had been 'like a Joyride.'

1996, Bill Graham the Irish journalist credited with discovering U2 died of a heart attack aged 44. He was also the co-founder of the Irish music paper Hot Press. Members from Clannad, U2, Hothouse Flowers and Gavin Friday all attended his funeral.

2001, Oasis, The Black Crowes and Spacehog kicked off 'The Tour of Brotherly Love', a North American tour at The Hard Rock in Las Vegas, Nevada. (The three bands featuring pairs of brothers (Noel and Liam Gallagher, Chris and Rich Robinson, Royston and Antony Langdon, respectively).

2002, Over 500 Michael Jackson fans held a demonstration outside the Sony records building in Berlin complaining that the label hadn’t promoted the singer's latest album ‘Invincible.’

2003, Jimi Hendrix Experience bassist Noel Redding died at his home in Ireland aged 57. Redding played on the classic Hendrix albums 'Are You Experienced', 'Axis: Bold as Love' and 'Electric Ladyland,' Right up until his death, Redding had been taking legal action against the Hendrix estate for payment estimated at £3.26 million for his part in recordings and for ongoing royalties. Had also been a member of Fat Mattress and formed The Noel Redding Band.

2003, R. Kelly started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Ignition Remix.' The singer's second UK No.1.

2003, Blur went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Think Tank’, the bands fifth UK No.1 album.

2004, US songwriter John Whitehead was killed by a gunman. He co-wrote ‘Back Stabbers’ for the O'Jays and as McFadden & Whitehead wrote and sang ‘Ain't No Stopping Us Now’ which sold more than 8 million copies and was nominated for a Grammy Award.

2006, George Michael was involved in his second minor car crash in a month after a tabloid photographer found Michael asleep in his parked car in central London. The singer crashed into a bollard after he woke up and was driving away.

2007, The Game was arrested at his home in connection with an incident at a basketball game in South Los Angeles in February 2007. He was alleged to have threatened a person with a gun. The rapper was released the next day, after posting $50,000 bail.

2008, German techno band Scooter went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Jumping All Over The World’
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Sponsored Links

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 13:03
May 12th: Born on this day

1928, Born on this day, Burt Bacharach, US songwriter, pianist and arranger. With Hal David wrote many classic songs including, 'Close To You', '24 Hours From Tulsa', 'Make It Easy On Yourself', 'Magic Moments', 'I Say A Little Prayer'. Won two Oscars for film score 'Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid', for 'Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head'.

1940, Born on this day, Norman Whitfield, American songwriter and producer, best known for his work with Berry Gordy's Motown. Collaborated with Barrett Strong on such hits as ‘I Heard It through the Grapevine’, ‘Ain't Too Proud to Beg’, ‘(I Know) I'm Losing You’, ‘Cloud Nine’, ‘War’, ‘Papa Was a Rolling Stone’ and ‘Car Wash’.

1942, Born on this day, Ian Dury, singer, songwriter, poet, actor, (1977 UK No.5 album 'New Boots And Panties!!' spent 90 weeks on the UK chart, 1979 UK No.1 single 'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick'). Dury died on 27th March 2000 aged 57.

1943, Born on this day, David Walkes, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, (1965 US No.1 single 'This Diamond Ring' plus 11 other US Top 40 hits).

1944, Born on this day, Billy Swan, US singer, (1974 US No.1 & 1975 UK No.6 single 'I Can Help').

1944, Born on this day, James Purify, (& Bobby), 1966 US No.6 and 1976 UK No.12 single 'I'm Your Puppet'.

1945, Born on this day, Jayotis Washington, singer, The Persuasions, a- cappella group, worked with Joni Mitchell, Stevie Wonder, Don McLean.

1946, Born on this day, Ian McLagan, keyboards, Small Faces, (1967 UK No.3 & US No.17 single 'Itchycoo Park', & 1968 UK No.1 album 'Ogden's Nut Gone Flake'). The Faces, (1971 UK No.6 & US No.17 single 'Stay With Me'). Also worked with The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, Joe Cocker, Billy Bragg and Bruce Springsteen.

1948, Born on this day, Steve Winwood, vocals, keyboards, Spencer Davis Group, (1966 UK No.1 single 'Keep On Running'), Traffic, (1967 UK No.2 single 'Hole In My Shoe'), Blind Faith, (1969 UK & US No.1 album), Solo (1986 US No.1 & UK No.1 single 'Higher Love').

1950, Born on this day, Billy Squier, US guitarist, singer, (1982 hit 'The Stroke', 1984 US No.15 single 'Rock Me Tonight').

1954, Born on this day, Barry Borden, Molly Hatchet, (1980 album 'Beatin' The Odds).

1958, Born on this day, Eric Singer, drummer, Kiss. He debuted with the band on the album Revenge.

1959, Born on this day, Billy Duffy, guitarist, songwriter, Theatre Of Hate, (1982 UK No.40 single 'Do You Believe In The Westworld'). The Cult, (1987 UK No.11 single 'Lil' Devil').

1972, Born on this day, Mark Morrison, UK singer, who was born in Hanover, Germany, (1996 UK No.1 single 'Return Of The Mack').

May 12th: On this Day

1958, The Everly Brothers started a four-week run at No.1 in the US with 'All I Have To Do Is Dream', (the song was written in 15 minutes).

1961, The Beatles, in Hamburg, West Germany, signed a recording contract with producer Bert Kaempfert. That evening they played at The Top Ten Club, Reeperbahn, Hamburg.

1962, Billboard Magazine reported that last year's most-played jukebox record was ‘Big Bad John’ by Jimmy Dean. The second most-played was Chubby Checker's ‘The Twist’.

1963, Bob Dylan walked out of rehearsals for the US TV Ed Sullivan show after being told he couldn't perform 'Talking John Birch Society Blues' due to it mocking the US military.

1964, The Beach Boys started a four week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Beach Boys Concert', the group's first US No.1.

1965, The Rolling Stones recorded '(I Can't Get No), Satisfaction' at RCA Hollywood studios. Keith Richards had come up with the guitar riff in the middle of the night a week earlier. It gave the band their first number 1 single in the US.

1967, Pink Floyd appeared at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, London, giving a special concert 'Games For May.'

1967, 'Are You Experienced', the debut album by Jimi Hendrix was released in the UK. Hendrix also played a gig at the Bluesville Club, Manor House in London on this day.

1968, Jimi Hendrix was arrested by police on his way to Toronto for possession of hashish and heroin. Hendrix claimed the drugs had been planted on him.

1968, Brian Jones made his final live appearance with The Rolling Stones when they appeared at the New Musical Express Poll Winners Concert at the Empire Pool, Wembley, England.

1969, Cliff Richard made a guest appearance on the UK children's TV show, 'Sooty'.

1971, Rolling Stone Mick Jagger married Bianca Macias at St Tropez Town Hall. The guest list included the other members of the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton and Stephen Stills. The couple separated in 1977.

1973, Led Zeppelin started a three week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Houses Of The Holy', the group's third US No.1.

1975, Jefferson Starship gave a free concert in New York's Central Park in front of 60,000 fans. The band and concert sponsor, WNEW-FM, were forced to pay $14,000 for cleaning up and damage done to the park after the event.

1977, After being dropped by both EMI and A&M records in less than 6 months, Virgin records announced they had signed The Sex Pistols.

1977, Led Zeppelin received the outstanding contribution to British music at the second Ivor Novello Awards held at the Grosvenor Hotel, London.

1981, Meat Loaf filed for bankruptcy with debts of over $1 million.

1981, Van Halen kicked off their 82 date North American Fair Warning Tour at the Halifax Metro Centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

1984, Lionel Richie started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hello' his second US solo No.1, also a No.1 in the UK.

1985, Phil Collins kicked off the North American leg on his No Jacket Required World Tour at the Centrum, Worcester, Massachusetts.

1986, Joe Strummer of The Clash was banned from driving after being convicted of drink driving.

1990, Adamski started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Killer'. The single featured Seal who remade the song under his own name, reaching the Top 10, the following year.

1994, Depeche Mode played the first night on the North American leg of their 159 date Exotic Tour at the Cal Expo in Sacramento, California.

1996, 17-year-old Bernadette O'Brien died the day after being injured 'body surfing' at a Smashing Pumpkins gig at The Point, Dublin.

1996, Hootie & the Blowfish went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Fairweather Johnson'.

2000, Thieves stole the gates to Strawberry Fields the Merseyside landmark immortalised by The Beatles song. The 10' high iron gates were later found at local scrap metal dealers in Liverpool.

2001, American singer and TV presenter Perry Como died aged 88. He scored fourteen US No.1 singles, from 150 US chart hits and over 25 UK chart hits, including the single 'Magic Moments' and 'Catch A Falling Star.' Como was once the highest-paid performer in the history of television.

2001, Travis played a gig at singer's Fran Healy's local primary school at Weston Park, Crouch End, London. The 150 crowd paid a £1 entry fee to the summer fete.

2002, Ronan Keating scored his third UK No.1 single with a song written by American country artist Garth Brooks 'If Tomorrow Never Comes'.

2004, Barry and Robin Gibb were both presented with honorary degrees from Manchester University. They also picked up a posthumous award for their brother Barry. The brothers had once lived in Manchester, England.

2008, Singer-songwriter Neil Young had a spider named after him. US university biologist Jason Bond discovered a new species of trapdoor spider and decided to name it after his favourite musician. Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi was found in Jefferson County, Alabama, in 2007

Edited by monarch
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 23:13

Love the trivia, Frank.

This piece is amazing.

2001, Oasis, The Black Crowes and Spacehog kicked off 'The Tour of Brotherly Love', a North American tour at The Hard Rock in Las Vegas, Nevada. (The three bands featuring pairs of brothers (Noel and Liam Gallagher, Chris and Rich Robinson, Royston and Antony Langdon, respectively).

Keep it coming

Edited by Biker Pat
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 13:09
May 13th: Born on this day

1941, Born on this day, Joe Brown, UK singer, actor, (1962 UK No.2 single 'A Picture Of You').

1941, Born on this day, Ritchie Valens, US singer, (1958 US No.2 and 1959 UK No.29 single 'Donna'). Valens died on 3rd February 1959.

1943, Born on this day, Mary Wells, US singer, (1964 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'My Guy', written by Smokey Robinson). Wells died of cancer on 26th July 1992.

1945, Born on this day, Magic Dick, harmonica, The J Geils Band, (1982 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Centerfold').

1947, Born on this day, Overend Watts, bass, Mott The Hoople, (1972 UK No.3 and US No. 37 single 'All The Young Dudes').

1950, Born on this day, Danny Kirwan, Fleetwood Mac, (1969 UK No.1 single 'Albatross', left the band in 1972).

1950, Born on this day, Johnny Logan, Irish singer, (1980 UK No.1 single 'What's Another Year').

1950, Born on this day, Stevie Wonder, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, joined Motown in 61, 1963 US No.1 single, 'Fingertips', plus over 40 other US & UK Top 40 singles. 1976 US No.1 double album 'Songs In The Key Of Life'.

1951, Born on this day, Paul Thompson, drums, Roxy Music, (1972 UK No.4 single 'Virginia Plain' plus 15 other UK Top 40 singles).

1963, Born on this day, Julian Brookhouse, Curiosity Killed The Cat, (1989 UK No.14 single 'Name And Number').

1964, Born on this day, Lorraine McIntosh, vocals, Deacon Blue, (1988 UK No.8 single 'Real Gone Kid' plus over 15 other UK Top singles).

1966, Born on this day, Darius Rucker, Hootie & The Blowfish, (1995 US No.1 album 'Cracked Rear View' sold over 15m copies. 1995 UK No.50 single 'Hold My Hand').

1966, Born on this day, Alison Goldfrapp, English singer-songwriter, (2008 UK No.2 album ‘Seventh Tree’).

1979, Born on this day, Michael Madden, bass, Maroon 5, (2004 UK No.1 album ‘Songs About Jane’, 2004 US No.1 & UK No.4 single ‘She Will Be Loved’).

May 13th: On this Day

1957, Guy Mitchell was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Rock-A-Billy', the singers fourth and final UK No.1. The Song gave its name to a music style - a mix of rock and country.

1967, The Monkees second album 'More Of The Monkees', went to No.1 on the UK charts. In 1967 only four albums reached No.1; 'The Sound Of Music' which spent 17 weeks at No.1, The Beatles 'Sgt Pepper's', 25 weeks at No.1 and The Monkees first and second albums spent 9 weeks at No.1.

1967, The Supremes scored their 10th US No.1 single with 'The Happening'; it made No.6 in the UK. It was the last single to be released as the Supremes, from now on they were known as Diana Ross and the Supremes.

1968, John Lennon and Paul McCartney gave a series of interviews to help launch Apple Corps in the US.

1970, The world premiere of The Beatles film 'Let It Be' took place in New York City.

1971, On his twenty- first birthday Stevie Wonder received all his childhood earnings. Despite having earned $30 million so far, he received only $1 million.

1971, Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane crashed her Mercedes into a wall near the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco and was hospitalised.

1974, Forty-three people were arrested and more than fifty were injured after youths started throwing bottles outside a Jackson Five concert at RFK stadium in Washington DC.

1976, Kiss played the fist UK date on their current Alive World Tour at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester, England.

1978, Boney M were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Rivers of Babylon'. The single stayed at the top of the charts for five weeks.

1978, Yvonne Elliman went to No.1 on the US singles chart with the Gibb brothers song 'If I Can't Have You'. The song was featured in the film 'Saturday Night Fever'; a No.4 hit in the UK.

1981, US singer Joan Weber died of heart failure at a mental institution in Ancora, New Jersey, aged 45. Had just one hit, the 1954 US No.1 single 'Let Me Go Lover.'

1983, Def Leppard appeared at The Mississippi Coast Coliseum, Biloxi, on their Pyromania World tour.

1985, Bruce Springsteen married Julianne Phillips at Lake Oswego, Oregon. Julianne filed for divorce on Aug 30th 1988.

1987, U2 played the third of a five night run at Brenden Byrne Arena, East Rutherford, New Jersey.

1988, Scottish band Fairground Attraction were at No.1 on the UK singles with 'Perfect'. The group featured Eddi Reader who had previously worked as a backing singer with the Eurythmics and Sandie Shaw. 'Perfect' won the award for Best Single at the 1989 BRIT Awards.

1989, Bon Jovi went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I'll Be There For You', the group's fourth US No.1, a No.18 hit in the UK.

1989, Kylie Minogue was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with her second solo No.1 'Hand On Your Heart.' The song was written and produced by Stock, Aitken & Waterman.

1989, Simple Minds went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Street Fighting Years', their fourth No.1 album. The album featured 'Mandela Day', 'Belfast Child' and 'Biko'.

1995, Italian dance act Livin' Joy went to No.1 on the UK singles chart for one week. with 'Dreamer'. Also a US No.1.

1996, Oasis became the fastest selling group in UK history after all 330,000 tickets for their summer shows sold out in just nine hours, the tickets for shows at Knebworth and Loch Lomand were priced at £22.50.

2000, Shaun Ryder's Volkswagen Corrado was found abandoned after being used as the getaway car. The former Happy Mondays singer's car was used in an armed robbery on Harry Ramsden's fish and chip restaurant in Manchester. £7,000 cash was taken in the robbery.

2001, Destiny's Child started a two-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Survivor'.

2002, Dionne Warwick was arrested at Miami International Airport for possession of marijuana after authorities found 11 joints in a lipstick case in the singer's hand luggage. The charges were dropped after she completed a drug program and made a contribution to charity.

2003, Michael Jackson launched a court case suing Motown Records. Jacko filed the lawsuit in LA, saying he hadn't been paid royalties due for the music he did with the Jackson Five in the 60s and 70s. The singer also claimed his music has been used in TV ads without his permission.

2006, Godsmack were at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘IV’ the American heavy metal bands second No.1 album.

2007, Brian May was under 24-hour security watch after a deranged man announced he was setting off to murder him - then disappeared. Police were hunting for a schizophrenic who left a letter behind at his home blaming the Queen guitarist for his illness. In it the man - said May was an "impostor" and that HE was the real rock star. He signed the letter "Brian May."

2007, Ne-Yo was at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Because of You' the US R&B singers second No.1. The album featured the title track, a US No.2 and UK No.4 hit single.

2007, McFly scored their 7th UK No.1 single with 'Baby's Coming Back', (a cover of the 1991 Jellyfish song) and 'Transylvania'.

2008, Babyshambles appeared at The Forum in London, the bands first gig since singer Pete Doherty was released from Wormwood Scrubs jail.

2008, The US Postal Service issued a 42-cent postage stamp in honor of Frank Sinatra. The design showed a 1950s-vintage image of Sinatra, wearing a hat.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 17:07
May 14th: Born on this day

1936, Born on this day, Bobby Darin, (1959 US & UK No.1 single 'Mack The Knife', plus 20 other US Top 40 hits). He died on 20th December 1973.

1943, Born on this day, Jack Bruce, bass, vocals, Graham Bond Organization, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Manfred Mann, Cream, (1967 UK No.11 single 'I Feel Free', 1968 US No.5 single 'Sunshine Of Your Love'). West, Bruce and Laing.

1946, Born on this day, Gene Cornish, The Young Rascals, (1967 US No.1 and UK No.8 single 'Groovin').

1946, Born on this day, Lek LecKenby, guitar, Herman's Hermits, (1964 UK No.1 single 'I'm Into Something Good', 1965 US No.1 single 'Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter'). He died on 4th June 1994.

1947, Born on this day, Al Ciner, American Breed, (1967 US No.5 & UK No. 24 single 'Bend Me, Shape Me'). Three Dog Night, (1970 UK No.3 & US No.1 single 'Mama Told Me Not To Come').

1950, Born on this day, Arther Grant, drums, Edgar Broughton Band, (1970 UK No.39 single 'Out Demons Out').

1952, Born on this day, David Byrne, guitar, vocals, Talking Heads, (1983 US No.9 single 'Burning Down The House', 1985 UK No.6 single 'Road To Nowhere'), Solo (2002 UK No. 2 single with X-Press, 'Lazy').

1953, Born on this day, John Rutsey, drummer and founding member of Rush. Died May 11, 2008.

1956, Born on this day, Steve Hogarth, Marillion, (1985 UK No.2 single 'Kayleigh').

1960, Born on this day, Shelley Preston, Bucks Fizz, (1981 UK No.1 single 'Making Your Mind Up', plus 12 other UK Top 40 singles).

1962, Born on this day, C.C. Deville, Poison, (1988 US No.1 & 1989 UK No.13 single 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn').

1962, Born on this day, Ian Astbury, singer, guitarist, Southern Death Cult, The Cult, (1987 UK No.11 single 'Lil' Devil'). Joined The Doors in 2002.

1963, Born on this day, Fabrice Morvan, vocals, Milli Vanilli, (1989 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Girl I'm Gonna Miss You').

1966, Born on this day, Mike Inez, Alice In Chains, (1993 UK No.19 single 'Would').

1969, Born on this day, Steve Hellier, Dubstar, (1996 UK No.15 single 'Stars').

1971, Born on this day, Danny Wood, New Kids On The Block, (1989 UK No.1 single 'You Got It, The Right Stuff', 1990 US No.1 single 'Step By Step').

1973, Born on this day, Natalie Appleton, singer, All Saints, (1998 UK No.1 and US No.4 single 'Never Ever' and 2003 UK No. 5 single as Appleton, 'Don't Worry').

1973, Born on this day, Shanice, US female singer, (1992 US & UK No.2 single 'I Love Your Smile').

1976, Born on this day, Martine McCutcheon, singer, actress, (1999, UK No.1 single 'Perfect Moment').

May 14th: On this Day

1957, Elvis Presley was rushed to a Los Angles hospital after swallowing a porcelain cap from one of his front teeth, which then lodged its-self in one of his lungs.

1960, The Silver Beats (John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Stu Sutcliffe, and Tommy Moore) performed at Lathom Hall, Seaforth, Liverpool. They played a few songs during the "interval" to audition for promoter Brian Kelly. Also appearing are Cliff Roberts & the Rockers, The Deltones, and Kingsize Taylor & the Dominoes. This is the only occasion on which the group uses the name "Silver Beats", quickly changing it back to "Silver Beetles".

1963, The Beatles appeared at The Rink Ballroom, Sunderland, England.

1967, Gigs around the UK; Jimi Hendrix played at the Elizabethan Ballroom in Manchester, The Bee Gees appeared at The Beachcomber in Nottingham and Alan Price played at the Coatham Hotel in Redcar.

1969, During a UK tour, Fairport Conventions van crashed on the M1 motorway on the way home from a gig in Birmingham killing the group's 19 year-old drummer Martin Lamble and Richard Thompson's girlfriend Jeannie Franklyn.

1976, 33 year-old Keith Relf, former lead singer for The Yardbirds, was electrocuted while tuning a guitar which was not properly earthed. The accident happened in his West London home where he was found by his eight year old son, still holding the plugged-in electric guitar. The Yardbirds had the hits 'For Your Love', 'Heart Full of Soul', and 'Shapes of Things'.

1977, Talking Heads played a gig at The Rock Garden in London where Brian Eno who was in the audience sees them and goes on to produce the band.

1977, Leo Sayer went to No.1 on the US singles chart with the Albert Hammond and Carole Bayer Sager song 'When I Need You', the singers second US No.1, also No.1 in the UK.

1983, Spandau Ballet scored their first and only UK No.1 album with 'True.' The title track from the album spent four weeks at No.1 on the UK singles charts and reached No.2 in the US. Other singles from the album included 'Gold' (a No.2 UK hit and a Top 30 hit in the U.S.), 'Lifeline', and 'Communication'.

1988, Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Anything For You', a No.10 hit in the UK.

1988, Led Zeppelin reunited for the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary party at Madison Square Garden, New York, appearing with Jason Bonham the son of John Bonham on drums. Other acts performing included Foreigner, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Genesis, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Wilson Pickett and Ben E. King.

1993, During an auction at Christies in London the acoustic guitar that Elvis Presley used to make his first recordings in 1954, ‘That's All Right Mama’ and ‘Blue Moon of Kentucky’ sold for £130,285, ($152,000). And four 'Super Hero', Costumes worn by the group Kiss sold for £20,000, ($35,385).

1994, Scottish band Stiltskin were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Inside'. The song had been used on a Levi's TV Jeans commercial. The bands only No.1 and only Top 30 hit.

1997, Mark Morrison was jailed for three months after threatening a police officer with an electric stun gun, he was also ordered to pay £350 costs.

1998, George Michael was fined £500 after being convicted of a "lewd act" in a Los Angeles lavatory. The Los Angeles court also ordered him to undergo psychological counselling and carry out 80 hours community service.

2000, Madison Avenue went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with, 'Don't Call Me Baby'. They were the first Australian group to have a UK No.1 since Men At Work in 1983.

2000, Tom Jones was at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Reload' making the singer the oldest artist to score a UK No.1 album with new material.

2003, Lawyers for Britney Spears and the Skechers footwear company settled a dispute over a deal for the pop star to market a line of roller skates and accessories. Spears had filed a $1.5 million breach of agreement lawsuit against Skechers in December, claiming the company failed to pay her adequately. Skechers had responded with a $10 million lawsuit, accusing Spears of fraud and breach of the three-year licensing agreement she signed in January 2002.

2004, Phil Spector was arrested after getting into a scuffle with his chauffeur at his California mansion. The 64 year old record producer was taken into custody and later released after a court date was set.

2005, A judge in Springfield, Massachusetts, ordered rapper 50 Cent to stay clean of drugs and take an anger management course to avoid spending time in jail. The rapper appeared in court charged with assaulting three women at a concert in 2004 after leaping into the crowd.

2006, Red Hot Chili Peppers started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Stadium Arcadium’ the bands ninth studio album, also a US No.1.

2008, Metallica kicked off a 26-date North American and European tour at the Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, California

Edited by monarch
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 13:19
May 15th: Born on this day

1918, Born on this day, Eddy Arnold, US country singer, (1965 US No.6 single, 'Make The World Go Away').

1932, Born on this day, Baba Oje, Arrested Development, (1992 UK No.2 and US No. 8 single 'People Everyday').

1937, Born on this day, Trini Lopez, singer, songwriter, (1963 US No.3 & UK No.4 single 'If I Had A Hammer').

1938, Born on this day, Lenny Welch, US singer, (1963 US No.4 single 'Since I Fell For You').

1944, Born on this day, Ian Amey, (Tich), Dave Dee, Dozey, Beaky, Mick and Tich, (1968 UK No.1 single, 'Legend Of Xanadu').

1947, Born on this day, Graham Goble, Little River Band, Australian group, (1978 US No.3 single 'Reminiscing' plus 12 other US Top 40 singles).

1948, Born on this day, Brian Eno, synthesisers, Roxy Music, (1972 UK No.4 single 'Virginia Plain'). Member of The Winkies, produced U2, Talking Heads, David Bowie, John Cale and released solo albums.

1948, Born on this day, Gary Thain, bassist with Keef Hartley Band and then Uriah Heep. Had a hit with ‘Easy Livin' from the 1972 album Demons and Wizards. Died of a drug overdose December 8, 1975.

1951, Born on this day, Dennis Fredericksen, vocals, Toto, (1983 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Africa').

1953, Born on this day, Mike Oldfield, UK composer, multi-instrumentalist, 'Tubular Bells' was the first album released on the Virgin record label in 1973 and went on to sell over 10 million copies world-wide. 1976 UK No. 3 single 'Portsmouth' plus 20 other UK Top 40 albums.

1959, Born on this day, Andrew Eldritch, vocals, The Sisters Of Mercy, (1992 UK No.3 single 'Temple Of Love').

1965, Born on this day, Jon Sevink, violin, The Levellers, (1995 UK No.12 single 'Just The One').

1965, Born on this day, Mark Colwill, bass, Tindersticks, (1993 album 'Tindersticks').

1966, Born on this day, Pete Wiggs, Saint Etienne, (1993 UK No.12 single 'You're In A Bad Way').

1983, Born on this day, Devin Bronson, guitarist with Avril Lavigne, Kelly Osbourne and Black List Club.

15th Of May On This Day

1959, Elvis Presley scored his fourth No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'A Fool Such As I / I Need Your Love Tonight.' His first ballad to hit No.1.

1961, Floyd Cramer was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'On The Rebound.' The US singers only UK No.1. The Nashville pianist played on many Elvis Presley hits.

1963, During a UK tour, The Beatles performed at the Royalty Theatre in Chester. The set list was: ‘Some Other Guy’, ‘Thank You Girl’, ‘Do You Want to Know a Secret’, ‘Please Please Me’, ‘You Really Got a Hold on Me’, ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, and ‘From Me To You’.

1967, The Jimi Hendrix Experience played two shows in Berlin, West Germany.

1967, Paul McCartney met American photographer Linda Eastman for the first time, during a Georgie Fame concert at the Bag O'Nails nightclub in London, England. They married on March 12, 1969.

1968, George Harrison and Ringo Starr attended the premiere of 'Wonderwall' at the Cannes Film Festival.

1969, John Lennon’s 'Life With The Lions' was released on Apple’s avant-garde imprint Zapple. One side of the album was recorded on a cassette player at London’s Queen Charlotte Hospital during Yoko Ono’s pregnancy which ended in a miscarriage.

1971, Crosby Stills Nash & Young scored their second US No.1 album with '4 Way Street.'

1973, Bob Marley and The Wailers played the first of four sold-out nights at the Speakeasy in London, England as part of their Catch A Fire Tour.

1974, Frank Zappa and his wife announced the birth of their third child, a boy named Ahmet Rodan, after the Japanese movie monster that lived of a steady diet of 707 planes.

1976, Sylvers went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Boogie Fever'; the group were made up by nine family sisters and brothers.

1976, The Rolling Stones went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Black And Blue', the group's sixth US No.1 album.

1977, Procol Harum played their last ever concert when they appeared at New York's academy of music.

1981, Former Sex Pistol John Lydon's band Public Image Ltd performed a show at New York's Ritz Club posing behind a video screen while the music was played from tapes. They were showered with missiles and eventually booed off stage.

1982, Asia went to No.1 on the US album chart with their self-titled album. It spent a total of nine weeks at No.1.

1982, This years Eurovision Song Contest winner for Germany 'A Little Peace' by Nicole was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. Her only UK Top 40 hit.

1982, Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney started a seven week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Ebony And Ivory'. The song gave McCartney his 24th US No.1 as a songwriter. The title was inspired by McCartney hearing Spike Milligan say "black notes, white notes, and you need to play the two to make harmony folks!". It was later named as the tenth worst song of all time by Blender magazine and in 2007 was named the worst duet in history by BBC 6 Music listeners.

1991, Manic Street Preacher guitarist Richey Edwards carved '4 real' into his arm with a razor blade while being interviewed by music paper The NME.

1992, Barbara Lee of the Chiffons died from a heart attack the day before her 45th birthday. Had the 1963 US No.1 single 'He's So Fine.'

1993, Janet Jackson started a eight week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'That's The Way Love Goes', her sixth US No.1, a No.2 hit in the UK.

1993, New Order went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Republic', featuring the singles 'Regret' and 'World (The Price Of Love).

1994, Blur scored their first UK No.1 album with ‘Parklife’, which went on to spend over two years on the chart. The album featured four UK hit singles: 'Girls & Boys', 'End of a Century', 'Parklife' and 'To the End'.

1995, Supergrass released their debut studio album 'I Should Coco'. The album which peaked at No.1 on the UK chart featured their No.2 hit single 'Alright'. The album title is Cockney rhyming slang for "I should think so".

1997, Courtney Love sold the Seattle mansion she shared with Kurt Cobain. A local family purchased the house in the salubrious Denny Blaine area for $3m.

1997, Oasis became one of the first artists to attempt to exert censorship over the Internet. The group were working with Sony to put an end to unofficial websites carrying lyrics, sound files and photographs of the band.

1998, American singer and actor Frank Sinatra died at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles aged 82, after suffering a heart attack. Sinatra had his first hit in 1940, working in the Swing era with Harry James and Tommy Dorsey, won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in the 1953 film From Here to Eternity. He went on to score over 25 Top 40 singles including the 1966 No.1 'Strangers In The Night'. His 1969 single 'My Way', re-entered the UK charts eight times and spent a total of 165 weeks on the UK chart.

1999, Rob Gretton manager of Joy Division and New Order died aged 46. He was also a partner in Factory Records, proprietor of the Rob's Records label and a co-founder along with Tony Wilson of The Hacienda nightclub in Manchester, England.

2000, Songwriter Geoff Goddard died aged 62. Wrote 'Johnny Remember Me', and played keyboards on The Tornadoes 1962 No.1 hit 'Telstar'. Wrote songs for Heinz, Mike Berry, The Outlaws, Freddie Starr and Screaming Lord Sutch.

2000, It was reported that Britney Spears had been crowned the queen of America's fastest growing youth movement, the teenage celibates. Spears told a German magazine that she intended to abstain from sex until her wedding night.

2001, Brian Pendleton of The Pretty Things died of cancer aged 57, (1964 UK No.10 single 'Don't Bring Me Down'). The bands 1974 album Silk Torpedo was the first album release on Led Zeppelin's own label Swan Song.

2002, Jamiroquai singer Jay Kay claimed he was assaulted at the premiere of 'Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones' in London. The singer suffered facial injuries after an incident with a photographer after the star-studded event.

2003, Country singer June Carter Cash, the second wife of Johnny Cash died in Nashville, Tennessee, of complications following heart valve replacement surgery, aged 73. Member of the Carter Family, had hits with Johnny Cash, including Grammy Award winning song, 'Jackson', 'Ring Of Fire', (which she co-wrote about their courtship), and 'If I Were A Carpenter.'

2005, Winner of the 2004 X Factor UK TV talent show Steve Brookstein went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Heart & Soul’.

2005, Nine Inch Nails were at No.1 on the US album chart with 'With Teeth', the bands fifth album and second US No.1 album.

2008, Neil Diamond reached the top of the US Billboard album chart for the first time in his career with ‘Home Before Dark’ the 67-year-old's 29th studio album. His previous highest chart position was in 1973 when the soundtrack to the film Jonathan Livingston Seagull peaked at No.2. At the age of 67, Diamond became the oldest artist to have a US number one, the record was previously held by Bob Dylan in 2006 with ‘Modern Times’ released when he was 65
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 13:16
May 16th: Born on this day

1919, Born on this day, Liberace, (Wladziu Valentinon Liberace), US pianist, singer, TV presenter, (1955 UK No.20 single 'Unchained Melody'). He died on 4th February 1997.

1939, Born on this day, Pervis Jackson, vocals, The Detroit Spinners, (1980 UK No.1 & US No.2 single 'Working My Way Back To You'). Died of cancer on 18th Aug 2008.

1944, Born on this day, Billy Cobham, jazz drummer, worked with Miles Davis, Mahavishnu Orchestra, James Brown, Santana and Soundtrack to the film 'Shaft'.

1946, Born on this day, Robert Fripp, King Crimson, (1969 UK No.5 album, 'In The Court Of The Crimson King').

1947, Born on this day, Barbara Lee, singer, The Chiffons, (1963 US No.1 single 'He's So Fine'). Lee died on 15th May 1992.

1947, Born on this day, Darrell Sweet, Nazareth, (1973 UK No.9 single 'Broken Down Angel' 1976 US No. 8 single 'Love Hurts'). Died on 30th April 1999 after suffering a fatal heart attack before a show in New Albany, Indiana.

1951, Born on this day, Jonathan Richman, guitar, vocals, The Modern Lovers, (1977 UK No.5 single 'Egyptian Reggae' & 1977 UK No.11 'Roadrunner'). Appeared in the films Dumb & Dumber and There's Something About Mary.

1953, Born on this day, Richard Page, Mr Mister, (1985 US No.1 & 1986 UK No.4 single 'Broken Wings).

1955, Born on this day, Hazel O'Conner, UK singer, (1980 UK No.5 single 'Eighth Day').

1958, Born on this day, Glenn Gregory, Heaven 17, (1983 UK No.2 single 'Temptation').

1964, Born on this day, Boyd Tinsley, violinist, Dave Matthews Band, (1998 US No.1 album 'Before These Crowded Streets', 2005 US No.1 album ‘Stand Up’).

1965, Born on this day, Chris Novoselic, bass, Nirvana, (1991 UK No.7 & 1992 US No.6 single 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', from the 1991 album 'Nevermind' which spent over two years on the UK chart and was a No.1 US album in 1992).

1966, Born on this day, Janet Jackson, singer, actress. The youngest child of the Jackson family, she has amassed an extensive catalog of hits, with singles such as 'Nasty', 'Rhythm Nation', 'That's the Way Love Goes', 'When I Think Of You', 'Together Again' and 'All for You', selling over 100 million records worldwide.

1968, Born on this day, Ralph Tresvant, vocals, New Edition, (1983 UK No.1 single 'Candy Girl').

1971, Born on this day, Simon Katz, Jamiroquai, (1996 UK No.3 single 'Virtual Insanity').

1973, Born on this day, Will White, Propellerheads, (1997 UK No.7 single 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' with David Arnold), remixed 808 State, Luscious Jackson

May 16th: On this Day

1962, B Bumble and the Stingers were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Nut Rocker.' The instrumental was based on Tchaikovsky's 'Nutcracker Suite.'

1963, The Beatles appeared live on the national BBC TV children's program ‘Pops and Lenny’, at Television Theatre, Shepherd's Bush Green, London, in front of an live audience. The Beatles performed ‘From Me to You’ and a shortened version of ‘Please Please Me.'

1964, Mary Wells started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'My Guy', it made No.5 in the UK.

1965, Driving away from a gig at the Civic Hall, Long Beach, California, the limo taking the Rolling Stones back to their hotel was besieged by fans who caved in the roof by standing on it. The band attempted to hold the roof up while their chauffeur drove off with bodies falling onto the road.

1966, The Beach Boys released the album 'Pet Sounds' in the US. The album is now regarded as the masterpiece of composer-producer Brian Wilson, and is often hailed as one of the best and most influential albums in popular music.

1967, Jeff Beck appeared at the Corn Exchange in Bristol, Manfred Mann played at the Industrial Ballroom in Norwich and appearing on the ITV show 'As You Like It'; Lulu, Cat Stevens, Herd, Georgie Fame and the Tremeloes.

1969, Jack Casady of Jefferson Airplane was arrested for possession of marijuana and received a two and a half year suspended sentence.

1969, Pete Townshend spent the night in a US jail for assaulting a man during a Who gig at The Fillmore East. What Townshend didn't know was the man who jumped onto the stage was a plainclothes policeman trying to warn the audience that a fire had broken out. The Who guitarist was later fined $30 for the offence.

1970, Crosby Stills Nash & Young went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Deja Vu'.

1970, The England World Cup Squad were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Back Home.' The track spent three weeks at the top of the charts.

1972, Al Green, Etta James and Joe Simon with J.J. Malone, Little Denise, Harvey Mandel and Paul Lagos appeared at Oakland Coliseum, California. Billed as The Baddest Soul Show Of 1972.

1974, Brian May collapsed in New York while Queen were on a US tour and was flown back to England suffering from hepatitis.

1974, Neil Young made an unannounced appearance at The Bottom Line in New York and played songs from his new album 'On The Beach.'

1976, Patti Smith made her UK debut at The Roundhouse, London.

1980, Former Buggles members Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes joined Yes, replacing Rick Wakeman and Jon Anderson.

1981, Former New Christy Minstrels member (with Kenny Rogers), Kim Carnes started a nine week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Bette Davis Eyes', the singers only US No.1 and a No.10 hit in the UK.

1984, Ozzy Osbourne was arrested in Memphis, Tennessee for ‘staggering drunk’ down Beale Street.

1987, Crosby, Stills and Nash singer David Crosby married his long time girlfriend Jan Dance

1987, U2 started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart 'With Or Without You', the group's first US No.1.

1992, Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine scored their first and only UK No.1 album with '1992 The Love album.'

1992, Kiss kicked of the European leg of their Revenge world tour at the SEC, Glasgow, Scotland.

1993, US soul singer Marv Johnson died of a stroke. He had the US Top 10 single 'I Love The Way You Love' and the 1969 UK No.10 single 'I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose'. Johnson's recording of Berry Gordy's song 'Come To Me' became Motown Records first ever-single release in May 1959.

1996, The Fugees went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'The Score'.

1998, Aqua scored their third UK No.1 single with 'Turn Back Time' the Scandinavian dance-pop group's third and final No.1.

1998, Catatonia went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'International Velvet.'

1998, Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards fell while reaching for a book of nude art in his Connecticut home. The fall broke his ribs, causing the Stones to postpone many dates on their Bridges To Babylon tour.

1999, Boyzone scored their 6th UK No.1 single with 'You Needed Me' making them the act with the most UK Top 5 hits of the 90's. The song was originally a hit for Canadian, Anne Murray 1978.

2004, UK band Keane started a four week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with their debut release ‘Hopes and Fears.’

2004, Usher was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Burn' his second US No.1 single of 2004.

2004, Frankee started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'F.U.R.B. (F U Right Back)'. The song was a "reply" to the No.1 by Eamon that it replaced, (f**k It, I Don't Want You Back). This is the first time that a record and its reply have both made No 1.

2008, Usher went to No.1 on the UK album chart with his firth album ‘Here I Stand’ also a US No.1.

2009, Bob Dylan went to No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Together Through Life’, his 33rd studio album. The album received two Grammy Award nominations in Best Americana Album category and Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance category for 'Beyond Here Lies Nothin'. The album also is significant as the only album by Dylan to top the US and UK charts consecutively.

2010, Ronnie James Dio, singer with Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Heaven & Hell, and his own band Dio died after a six-month battle with stomach cancer. He was 67 years old.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2011 at 13:12
May 17th: Born on this day

1941, Born on this day, Malcolm Hale, Spanky And Our Gang, (1967 US No.9 single 'Sunday Will Never Be The Same Again'). Hale died on 31st October 1968 of carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty heater.

1942, Born on this day, Taj Mahal, US multi-instrumentalist, composer of film soundtracks, first band The Rising Sons with Ry Cooder.

1944, Born on this day, Jesse Winchester, Canadian folk singer, songwriter (1981 US No. 32 single 'Say What').

1948, Born on this day, Bill Bruford, drummer, King Crimson, Yes, U.K.

1953, Born on this day, George Johnson, Brothers Johnson, (1980 US No.4 & UK No.6 single 'Stomp').

1958, Born on this day, Alan Rankine, The Associates, (1982 UK No.9 single 'Party Fears Two').

1959, Born on this day, Paul Dianno, vocals, Iron Maiden, (1991 UK No.1 single 'Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter').

1960, Born on this day, Simon Fuller, record and television producer, manager of the Spice Girls, S Club 7, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry, Fantasia, Will Young, Emma Bunton and Gareth Gates and the creator of the Idol series. First seen as Pop Idol and now with over 50 other versions including American Idol, Canadian Idol, and World Idol.

1961, Born on this day, Enya Ni Bhraonain, Clannad, (1982 UK No.5 single 'Harry's Game'), solo, (1988 UK No.1 single 'Orinoco Flow', plus eight other UK Top 40 singles, 2001 US No.2 album 'A Day Without Rain').

1962, Born on this day, Tracy Bryn, Voice Of The Beehive, (1988 UK No.15 single 'Don't Call Me Baby').

1963, Born on this day, Page Samuel McConnell, pianist, organist, keyboardist, Phish.

1965, Born on this day, Trent Reznor, singer, songwriter, Nine Inch Nails, (1999 UK No. 10 album 'The Fragile' 2005 US No.1 album ‘White Teeth’).

1966, Born on this day, Jan Kincaid, The Brand New Heavies, (1994 UK No.13 single 'Midnight At The Oasis').

1967, Born on this day, Simon Friend, guitar, The Levellers, (1995 UK No.12 single 'Just The One').

1968, Born on this day, Dave Abbruzzese drummer with Pearl Jam from 1991 to 1994.

1970, Born on this day, Jordan Knight, singer, New Kids On The Block, (1989 UK No.1 single 'You Got It, The Right Stuff' 1990 US No.1 single 'Step By Step', solo, 1999 UK No.5 single 'Give It To You').

1971, Born on this day, Vernie Bennett, Eternal, (1997 UK No.1 single 'I Wanna Be The Only One', 1993 UK No.2 album 'Always & Forever').

1974, Born on this day, Andrea Corr, vocals, tin whistle, The Corrs, (1998 UK No.3 single 'What Can I Do'. 'Talk On Corners' was the best selling UK album of 1998 spending 142 weeks on the UK chart).

May 17th: On this Day

1962, During a UK tour Jerry Lee Lewis played at The Tower Ballroom, tickets cost 5 shillings in advance.

1963, The first Monterey Folk Festival in California was held over three days and featured Joan Baez, Bob Dylan and Peter Paul and Mary.

1964, Bob Dylan made his first major concert UK appearance when he played at the Royal Festival Hall in London.

1966, During a UK tour, Bob Dylan appeared at The Free Trade Hall in Manchester. This was the concert where a member of the audience shouted out ‘Judas’ at Dylan unhappy with the singers move from acoustic to rock. Dylan replied with ‘You’re a liar’, the entire concert was eventually officially released in The Bootleg Series by Sony Music in 1999.

1967, The Tremeloes were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of a Four Seasons song, (the B-side to Rag Doll), 'Silence Is Golden', the group's only UK No.1.

1967, Working at Abbey Road studios The Beatles began recording a new John Lennon song ‘You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)’. The song was not finished until November 1969, and was not released until March 1970 (as the B-side of the ‘Let it Be’ single).

1968, The Monkees appeared at Valley Music Hall, Salt Lake City, Utah.

1969, It was reported that for the first time ever album sales had overtaken single sales in the UK. 49,184,000 albums were produced during 1968 compared with 49,161,000 singles.

1969, Joni Mitchell was featured on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine, on sale for 35 Cents, (2/6).

1971, Dawn were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Knock Three Times', the group's first of two UK No.1's. Singer Tony Orlando had retired from singing when he was persuaded to front Dawn for studio recordings.

1975, Earth Wind and Fire started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with the soundtrack to 'That's The Way Of The World.'

1975, Elton John was awarded a Platinum Record for sales of a million copies of the LP 'Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy', the first album ever to be certified Platinum on the day of its release.

1975, Led Zeppelin played the first of five sold-out nights at Earls Court Arena, London, England. Tickets cost £1 ($1.70) - £2.50 ($4.25).

1979, The Police appeared at Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica, California.

1980, Boney M scored their third UK No.1 album with 'The Magic Of Boney M.'

1980, This years Eurovision song contest winner Johnny Logan was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'What's Another Year.' The second Eurovision winner for Ireland, Logan won it again in 1987 and wrote a further winner in 1992.

1986, Spitting Image started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Chicken Song.' Spitting Image had become the 'must see' Sunday night UK TV show, which mocked politicians and public figures.

1986, Whitney Houston started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Greatest Love Of All', the singers third US No.1, a No.8 hit in the UK.

1987, A fire destroyed Tom Petty's house in Los Angeles, the cost was estimated at $800,000.

1989, Former Rolling Stone Bill Wyman's first Sticky Fingers restaurant opened in London.

1989, The first night of a 12-date UK tour for R.E.M. starting at Leicester De Montfort Hall. (Promoting the new single 'Orange Crush').

1990, Nirvana played the last date of a North American tour at the Zoo in Boise, Idaho. This was Chad Channing’s final gig with the band, drummer Dave Grohl replaced him in Sept of this year after his band Scream had split-up.

1996, US blues guitarist Johnny Guitar Watson died of a heart attack while on tour in Yokohama, Japan. According to eyewitness reports, he collapsed mid guitar solo. His last words were "ain't that a bitch."

1996, Kevin Gilbert, multi instrumentalist and songwriter, died of accidental asphyxiation. Member of Giraffe, worked with Sheryl Crow, co-wrote her 1994 UK No.4 hit 'All I Want To Do.'

1997, Olive started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'You're Not Alone.' The group featured Tim Kellett who was previously with Simply Red.

1998, Garth Brooks was at No.1 on the US album charts with 'The Limited Series.'

2002, Sharon Sheeley, US songwriter, died aged 62. Hits include 'Poor Little Fool' US No.1 for Ricky Nelson in 1958 and 1959 hit for Eddie Cochran 'Somethin' Else'. Sheeley survived the car crash that killed Eddie Cochran during a 1960 UK tour.

2002, Lance Bass of boy-band *NSYNC underwent hospital treatment to correct an irregular heartbeat. Bass was hoping to qualify for a seat onboard a Russian rocket flight to the International Space Station.

2003, Singer with Stone Temple Pilots Scott Weiland, was arrested on suspicion of drug possession after being stopped during a routine traffic search in Los Angeles, He was released on $10,000 (£6,125) bail.

2005, Akon was at No.1 on the UK singles with ‘Lonely’, Gwen Stefani held the US No.1 spot with ‘Hollaback Girl’ and Snoop Dogg and Justin Timberlake were at No.1 on the Australian chart with ‘Signs.’

2006, Paul McCartney and his wife Heather Mills admitted that they had given up the fight to save their marriage, saying that after fours years together, they were going their separate ways.

2008, Amy Winehouse and Pete Doherty posted a two-minute clip of themselves playing with newborn mice on Youtube. The video showed Doherty and Winehouse in a bare room, making rambling comments, picking up the mice and talking to them.

2008, Madonna was at No.1 on the US album chart with her eleventh studio album ‘Hard Candy.’ The album reached number one in thirty-seven other countries.

2009, Black Eyed Peas went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Boom Boom Pow', their second UK No.1 hit.

2009, Green Day went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their eighth studio album ‘21st Century Breakdown’.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2011 at 13:05
May 18th: Born on this day

1911, Born on this day, Joe Turner, US blues songwriter. Wrote 'Shake Rattle and Roll', 'Sweet Sixteen'. He died on 23rd November 1985.

1912, Born on this day, Perry Como, American singer and TV presenter, (1957 US No.1 single 'Round And Round' and 15 US & over 25 UK chart hits, 1958 UK No.1 single 'Magic Moments'). Como died on 12th May 2001.

1942, Born on this day, Albert Hammond, (1972 US No.5 single 'It Never Rains In Southern California', 1973 UK No.19 single 'Free Electric Band').

1946, Born on this day, Bruce Gilbert, guitar, Wire, (1989 UK No.68 single 'Eardrum Buzz').

1946, Born on this day, George Alexander, The Flamin Groovies, (1976 album 'Shake Some Action).

1949, Born on this day, Rick Wakeman, keyboards, Strawbs, Yes, ('1974 UK No.1 album 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth').

1949, Born on this day, William Wallace, Guess Who, (1970 US No.1 & UK No.19 single 'American Woman').

1952, Born on this day, George Strait, US country singer, songwriter, (1992 album 'Pure Country' spent 40 weeks on the US chart). He has the second most number one country hits among any artist in any musical genre in history, totaling 53 number one hit songs. Only Conway Twitty has more, with 55.

1953, Born on this day, Butch Tavares, Tavares, (1976 UK No.4 and US No.15 single 'Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel').

1954, Born on this day, Wreckless Eric (Eric Goulden), singer, songwriter and Stiff records artist, had the 1978 UK airplay hit 'Whole Wide World'.

1957, Born on this day, Michael Cretu, Enigma, (1991 UK No.1 & US No.5 single 'Sadness Part 1).

1958, Born on this day, Victoria Wilcox, (Toyah) 1981 UK No.8 single 'I Want To Be Free.'

1961, Born on this day, Hugh Whittaker, Housemartins, (1986 UK No.1 single 'Caravan Of Love').

1961, Born on this day, Russell Senior, guitar, Pulp, (1995 UK No.2 single 'Common People'). Left the band on 20th January 1997.

1969, Born on this day, Martika, US singer, (1989 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'Toy Soldiers').

1975, Born on this day, Jack Johnson, Hawaii born singer, songwriter, surfer, (2006 UK No.1 album 'In Between Dreams', 2006 US & Australian No.1 album ‘Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George').

May 18th: On this Day

1963, Jimmy Soul was a No.1 on the US singles chart with 'If You Want To Be Happy', a No.39 hit in the UK.

1964, A riot broke out in Hamilton, Scotland during a Rolling Stones UK tour when over 4,000 fans with forged tickets gatecrashed the bands gig at the Chantingall Hotel.

1966, The Castiles (with Bruce Springsteen on vocals), made their first recordings at Mr Music Inc in Brick Town, New Jersey. They cut two Springsteen songs, ‘Baby I’ and ‘That’s What You Get’. The songs were cut directly to disc, of which seven or eight test pressings of the studio takes were made.

1967, John Lennon and Paul McCartney sang backing vocals on The Rolling Stones track 'We Love You' during a session at Olympic Studios, London.

1967, The Beatles were selected to represent the UK for the first-ever global-wide satellite broadcast. The group agreed to be shown in the studio recording a song written especially for the occasion, scheduled for June 25. John Lennon wrote ’All You Need is Love’ which was thought to sum up the 1967 'summer of love' and The Beatles' sympathies. With the satellite broadcast being broadcast to many non-English-speaking countries, the BBC asked The Beatles to 'keep it simple'.

1968, Archie Bell and The Drells started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Tighten Up', it didn't chart in the UK.

1968, Scott Walker was at No.1 on the UK chart with his second album 'Scott 2.'

1968, Grateful Dead, The Doors, The Steve Miller Band and Jefferson Airplane all appeared at The Northern California Rock Festival in Santa Clara.

1974, Ray Stevens started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with the novelty song 'The Streak' which capitalized on the then popular craze of streaking. Also No.1 in the UK.

1975, Five times married US country singer, Tammy Wynette was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Stand By Your Man.' Originally recorded by Tammy Wynette and released as a single in 1968 in the USA. It proved to be the most successful record of Wynette's career and is one of the most covered songs in the history of country music.

1978, The Buzzcocks supported by Penetration appeared at Newcastle Upon Tyne City Hall, England, tickets £1.75.

1978, Bob Marley and The Wailers played the first night on a 19-date North American tour at the Hill Auditorium, Ann Arbor, Michigan.

1980, Joy Division singer and guitarist Ian Curtis hanged himself in the kitchen of his house in Macclesfield, England at the age of 23. Curtis had the Iggy Pop album 'The Idiot', playing on his stereo and left a note that said, 'At this very moment, I wish I were dead. I Just can't cope anymore.' Joy Division released the critically acclaimed debut album Unknown Pleasures in 1979, and recorded their follow-up Closer in 1980. Suffering from epilepsy, a failing marriage, and bouts of depression, Curtis committed suicide on the eve of Joy Division's debut North American tour.

1984, Simple Minds were at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Don't You Forget About Me', (a No. 7 hit in the UK). Written by Keith Forsey (who won an Oscar for "Flashdance... What a Feeling") and Steve Schiff (guitarist and songwriter from the Nina Hagen band, the track was featured in the 1985 American teen drama film The Breakfast Club.

1988, Fleetwood Mac played the first of six sold out nights at Wembley Arena, London on their The Tango In The Night Tour.

1991, R.E.M. went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Out Of Time.'

1993, Sister Lovers, 18 Wheeler, Boyfriend and Oasis appeared at King Tuts in Glasgow, Scotland. Creation Records boss Alan McGee who was in the audience declared after seeing Oasis, 'I've found the greatest rock 'n' roll band since The Beatles.' McGee had missed a train at nearby Queen Street station, and decided to head to Tuts to kill time before the next one. He signed Oasis to his Creation label.

1996, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony started a 8 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Tha Crossroads', a No.8 hit in the UK.

1997, Blur won pop music's equivalent of the FA Cup, the Music Industry Soccer Six. The band's win at Fulham's FC's ground Craven Cottage saw them beating off competition from Robbie Williams, My Life Story and The Prodigy.

1999, 25-year-old Robbie O'Neil was found dead from a heroin overdose at Shane MacGowan's London flat.

2000, Madonna's boyfriend Guy Ritchie was arrested after attacking a fan outside the superstar's London home. Ritchie was said to have kicked and punched a male fan after the couple returned home from a night out.

2003, The Isley Brothers were at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Body Kiss’ the group's first US No.1 in over 30 years.

2004, Clint Warwick the original bass player with The Moody Blues died from liver disease at the age of 63. Clint left the band in 1966 after playing on their only number one hit, ‘Go Now.’

2008, Neil Diamond went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Home Before Dark’, also a US No.1.

2008, Ting Tings scored their first UK No.1 single with 'That's Not My Name'. Taken from the Manchester duo's debut studio album We Started Nothing.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 13:07
May 19th: Born on this day

1932, Born on this day, Alma Cogan, UK singer, (1955 UK No.1 single 'Dreamboat', plus 20 other UK Top 40 hits). Youngest female to top the charts during the 50's. She died of stomach cancer on 26th October 1966.

1945, Born on this day, Pete Townshend, guitar, vocals, The Who, (1965 UK No.2 single 'My Generation' 1967 US No.9 single 'I Can See For Miles' plus over 20 other UK Top 40 hit singles, 16 US Top 40 singles and rock opera albums 'Tommy' & 'Quadrophenia'). Townshend became known for his eccentric stage style during the band's early days, swinging his right arm against the guitar strings in his signature move; a windmill style, often smashing guitars on stage.

1947, Born on this day, Greg Herbert, Blood Sweat & Tears, (1969 US No.2 single 'Spinning Wheel'). Herbert died of a accidental drug overdose 31st January 1977.

1947, Born on this day, Jerry Hyman, trombone, Blood Sweat & Tears, (1969 US No.2 single 'Spinning Wheel').

1947, Born on this day, Paul Brady, Irish singer, songwriter, Planxty, solo.

1948, Born on this day, Tom Scott, saxophonist, the L.A. Express worked with Joni Mitchell, Carole King, Steely Dan. Composer of film soundtracks & TV shows.

1949, Born on this day, Dusty Hill, bass, ZZ Top, (1984 US No.8 and 1985 UK No.16 single 'Legs').

1950, Born on this day, Mike Wedgwood, Curved Air, (1971 UK No.4 single 'Back Street Luv').

1950, Born on this day, Romeo Challenger, Showaddywaddy, (1976 UK No.1 single 'Under The Moon Of Love', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles).

1952, Born on this day, Grace Jones, singer, model, (1985 UK No.12 single 'Slave To The Rhythm').

1952, Born on this day, Jeffrey Hyman, (Joey Ramone), vocals, The Ramones, 1977 UK No.22 single 'Sheena Is A Punk Rocker'. He died on 15th April 2001 after losing a long battle with lymphatic cancer aged 49. On November 30, 2003, a block of East 2nd Street in New York City was officially renamed Joey Ramone Place.

1954, Born on this day, Philip Rudd, drums, AC/DC, (left in 1983, 1980 UK No.36 single 'Whole Lotta Rosie' and 1980 UK No.1 & US No.14 album 'Back in Black' sold over 10 million copies).

1956, Born on this day, Martyn Ware, Heaven 17, (1983 UK No.2 single 'Temptation'), Human League, (1981 UK No.1 single 'Don't You Want Me' plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles).

1960, Born on this day, Yasmin Evans, (Yazz), singer, (1988 UK No.1 single 'The Only Way Is Up').

1962, Born on this day, Iain Harvie, guitarist, Del Amitri, (1990 UK No.11 single 'Nothing Ever Happens').

1963, Born on this day, Ben Volperliere, Curiosity Killed The Cat, (1989 UK No.14 single 'Name And Number').

1968, Born on this day, Paul Hartnoll, Orbital, (1996 UK No.11 single 'The Box').

1970, Born on this day, Attrell Cordes, Prince Be, PM Dawn, (1991 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Set Adrift On Memory Bliss').

1970, Born on this day, Stuart Cable, drums, Stereophonics, (2001 UK No.5 single 'Have A Nice Day'). Left the band in 2003. Presented his own Cable TV show in Wales and worked for BBC Radio Wales.

1972, Born on this day, Jenny Berggren, singer, songwriter, Ace Of Base, (1993 UK No.1 single 'All That She Wants', 1994 US No.1 single 'The Sign').

May 19th: On this Day

1958, The soundtrack to South Pacific went to No.1 on the US album chart.

1960, American DJ Alan Freed was indicted along with seven others for accepting $30,650 in payola from six record companies. Two years later, he was convicted and given a suspended sentence and a $300 fine.

1961, The Everly Brothers launched their own record label, 'Calliop'e'.

1967, The Beatles held a press party at manager's Brian Epstein's house in London for the launch of the 'Sgt Pepper's' album. Linda Eastman was hired as the press photographer.

1968, Johnny Cash appeared at The Odeon, Newcastle, Tyne & Wear during a UK tour.

1973, Stevie Wonder went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'You Are The Sunshine Of My Life'. His third US No.1, a No.7 hit in the UK.

1973, Wizzard were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'See My Baby Jive,' Roy Wood's (from The Move), latest group spent four weeks at the top of the charts.

1973, Paul Simon released the single ‘Kodachrome’ which became a hit in the US, but was banned from airplay in the UK because it contained a brand name.

1974, The Rubettes were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Sugar Baby Love', the group's only UK No.1.

1976, Rolling Stone Keith Richards crashed his car near Newport Pagnell, Bucks, after falling asleep at the wheel; marijuana and cocaine were found by the police resulting in another fine for the guitarist.

1978, Dire Straits released their first major label single 'Sultans Of Swing', recorded on a £120 budget.

1979, Abba started a four week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Voulez-Vous' the group's fourth No.1 LP.

1979, Eric Clapton held a party at his Surrey house celebrating his recent marriage to Patti Boyd. Clapton had set-up a small stage in the garden and as the evening progressed Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr ended up jamming together along with Clapton, Ginger Baker and Mick Jagger. The all-star band ran through old Little Richard and Eddie Cochran songs.

1979, Supertramp went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Breakfast In America', the group's only US No.1.

1980, Ringo Starr and his future wife were involved in a car crash less than half a mile from where Marc Bolan was killed, the car was a write-off but Starr and Bach were not seriously injured.

1981, Sting was named songwriter of the year at the 26th Ivor Novello Awards.

1984, Bob Marley and the Wailers started a 12-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with the compilation album 'Legend', released to commemorate the third anniversary of Marley's death.

1985, Tears For Fears appeared at The Playhouse in Edinburgh, Scotland, tickets cost £4.50.

1988, James Brown was arrested for the fifth time in 12 months, following a car Chase near his home, he was charged with assault, resisting arrest and being in charge of illegal weapons, he was given a 6 year jail sentence.

1990, Madonna started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Vogue'. Originally planned as a B-side, it became the singers eighth US No.1 and seventh UK No.1 hit.

1996, Ash went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their album '1977.'

2001, Mike Sammes founder of The Mike Sammes Singers died aged 73. He worked with Tom Jones, Cliff Richard and featured on The Beatles, 'I Am The Walrus' and 'The Long And Winding Road.'

2002, Liberty X went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Just A Little.' They were the five runners-up from the TV talent show "Pop Stars", who failed to become part of the winning group Hear'Say.

2002, Moby scored his second UK No.1 album with ’18.’

2007, Lawyers for Michael Jackson dropped an effort to block an auction of the star's personal belongings and other Jackson family items. An agreement was reached with representatives of an auctioneer, who was the current owner of the materials, and a New Jersey man who claimed to own a warehouse full of Jackson memorabilia after a failed business venture wound up in bankruptcy court.

2010, ‘Stairway To Heaven’ was named the UK's favourite rock song in a survey by listeners to radio station Absolute Classic Rock. The band had two other tracks in the top 10; ‘Whole Lotta Love’ was voted at No. 4 and ‘Rock 'n' Roll’, from the group’s fourth album, was at No. 7.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2011 at 13:01
May 20th: Born on this day

1942, Born on this day, Jill Jackson, Paul and Paula, (1963 US No.1 & UK No.8 single, 'Hey Paula').

1944, Born on this day Joe Cocker, singer, (1968 UK No.1 single 'With A Little Help From My Friends', plus 8 other UK Top 40 singles, 1982 US No.1 single with Jennifer Warnes 'Up Where We Belong').

1946, Born on this day Cherilyn Sarkasian, (Cher), singer, Sonny & Cher, (1965 UK & US No.1 single 'I Got You Babe'), Solo, (1991 UK No.1 single 'The Shoop Shoop Song', 1998 UK No.1 & 1999 US No.1 single 'Believe', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles).

1947, Born on this day Steve Currie, T Rex, (1971 UK No.1 single 'Hot Love', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles). Currie died on 28th April 1981.

1952, Born on this day Warren Cann, drummer, Ultravox, (1981 UK No.2 single 'Vienna', plus 15 other UK Top 40 singles).

1954, Born on this day Jimmy Henderson, Black Oak Arkansas, (70's US No.25 single 'Jim Dandy To The Rescue').

1955, Born on this day Steve George, Mr Mister, (1985 US No.1 & 1986 UK No.4 single 'Broken Wings').

1958, Born on this day Jane Wieldin, guitar, vocals, The Go-Go's, (1982 US No.2 single 'We Got The Beat', 1982 UK No.47 single 'Our Lips Our Sealed') and solo (1988 UK No.12 single 'Rush Hour').

1960, Born on this day Sue Cowsill, The Cowsills, (1967 US No.2 single 'The Rain, The Park & Other Things', 1969 US No.2 single the theme from 'Hair'). TV's Partridge Family was based on the family.

1961, Born on this day Nick Heyward, guitar, vocals, Haircut 100, (1982 UK No.3 single 'Love Plus One') & Solo.

1961, Born on this day, Dan Wilson, American guitarist, vocalist, and songwriter. Singer with Semisonic, in which he wrote hits like ‘Secret Smile’, ‘Closing Time’ and ‘Chemistry’. Produced the 2007 US No.1 album Mike Doughty's album Haughty

1963, Born on this day Brian Nash, guitar, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, (1984 UK No.1 & US No.10 single 'Relax' and six other UK Top 40 singles).

1964, Born on this day Patti Russo, American singer/songwriter/actress. Best known as the female lead vocalist with Meat Loaf.

1966, Born on this day Thomas Gorman, guitarist, Belly, ('Feed The Tree' UK No.32 single 1993).

1967, Born on this day Kit Clark, Danny Wilson, (1988 UK No.3 single 'Mary's Prayer').

1972, Born on this day Busta Rhymes, (1998 UK No.2 single 'Turn It Up / Fire It Up', 2003 UK No.3 single with Mariah Carey 'I Know What You Want').

1981, Born on this day Sean Conlon, vocals, Five, (1998 UK No.2 single 'Everybody Get Up', 1999 UK No.1 single 'Keep On Movin').

May 20th: On this Day

1957, American crooner Andy Williams was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Butterfly', the US singers only UK No.1 and the first of 40 hit singles from 1957 until 2002 on the UK chart.

1960, The Silver Beetles (John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Stu Sutcliffe, and Tommy Moore) played the first night of a short tour of Scotland backing singer Johnny Gentle, at Alloa Town Hall in Clackmannanshire. Three of the Silver Beetles adopted stage names: Paul McCartney became Paul Ramon, George Harrison was Carl Harrison, and Stuart Sutcliffe became Stuart de Stael.

1961, Cliff Richard made his TV debut on the UK ITV show 'Thank Your Lucky Stars.'

1964, Rudy Lewis of The Drifters died aged 28 under mysterious circumstances the night before the group was set to record 'Under the Boardwalk'. Former Drifters backup singer Johnny Moore was brought back to perform lead vocals for the recording session.

1965, Jackie Trent was at No.1 in the UK with the single 'Where Are You Now (My Love)'. Producers Tony Hatch's fifth No.1 was sung by his future wife.

1966, Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey of the Who grew tired of waiting for John Entwistle and Keith Moon to arrive for their gig at the Ricky Tick Club in Windsor, England so they took to the stage with the bass player and drummer of the local band that opened the show. When Moon and Entwistle finally arrived in the middle of the set, a fight broke out, with Townshend hitting Moon on the head with his guitar. Moon and Entwistle quit the band, (and rejoined a week later).

1967, The Beatles new album 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' had a special preview on the Kenny Everett BBC Light program, 'Where It's At', playing every track from the album, (except 'A Day In The Life' which the BBC had banned saying it could promote drug taking).

1967, The Young Rascals started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Groovin', it made No.8 in the UK. The group named themselves after a US comedy TV show.

1968, BBC 2 TV aired a short play 'The Pistol Shot', featuring a young dancer called David Bowie.

1968, The Beatles, armed with a bunch of new songs after their visit to India, met at George Harrison's home in Esher, Surrey. They taped 23 new songs on George's 4-track recorder, many of which would end up on The Beatles' next two albums, (the White Album) and Abbey Road. The demos include: ‘Cry Baby Cry’, Revolution’, ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’, ‘Blackbird‘ and ‘Child of Nature’ (a Lennon song that became ‘Jealous Guy’).

1969, While watching a baseball game in Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, Peter Cetera of Chicago was set upon by four Marines (because they didn't like the length of his hair). They broke his jaw, resulting in the singer spending two days in intensive care.

1970, The final feature film involving The Beatles 'Let It Be' was premiered simultaneously in London and Liverpool a week after the film's US release.

1972, T Rex were at No.1 on the UK singles chart 'Metal Guru', the group's fourth and final No.1. They also had the UK No.1 album with 'Bolan Boogie'.

1978, Paul McCartney went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'With A Little Luck', his sixth solo US No.1.

1978, The Buddy Holly story film was premiered in Holly's hometown, of Lubbock, Texas.

1981, Bruce Springsteen appeared at Bingley Hall, Stafford, England during a European tour.

1989, Ferry 'Cross The Mersey' by Ferry Aid started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart. The song was recorded to raise funds for the Hillbsbourgh Football victims, Gerry Marsden, Paul McCartney, Holly Johnson and The Christians all featured on the recording.

1989, Jason Donovan started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK album charts with his debut album 'Ten Good Reasons'.

1989, Paula Abdul started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Forever Your Girl', her second US No.1, a No.24 hit in the UK.

1995, Don Henley from The Eagles married model Sharon Summerall. Guests included Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, Timothy B. Schmit, David Crosby, Randy Newman, Jimmy Buffett, Jackson Browne, Billy Joel, Sting and Sheryl Crow.

1995, Robson Green and Jerome Flynn started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their versions of 'Unchained Melody/(There'll Be Blue Birds Over) The White Cliffs Of Dover'. Actors Green and Flynn had performed the song in the UK drama series Soldier Soldier.

1997, U2 caused traffic chaos in Kansas City, Missouri after they paid for traffic control to close down five lanes so they could shoot the video for 'Last Night On Earth'. Apart form major traffic jams a passing Cadillac crashed into a plate glass window trying to avoid a cameraman.

1998, Tommy Lee from Motley Crue was sentenced to six months jail after being found guilty of spousal abuse.

1998, The funeral of Frank Sinatra was held at the Church of the Good Shepherd in Beverly Hills. Mourners in attendance included, Tony Bennett, Faye Dunaway, Tony Curtis, Liza Minnelli, Kirk Douglas, Angie Dickinson, Sophia Loren, Bob Newhart, Mia Farrow and Jack Nicholson.

1998, Black Sabbath drummer Bill Ward was taken to hospital in London after suffering a heart attack during a band rehearsal.

2001, R.E.M. started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Reveal'.

2001, S Club 7 went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Don't Stop Movin', their 3rd UK chart topper.

2005, Kylie Minogue had a cancerous lump removed from her breast at St Frances Xavier Cabrini Hospital in Melbourne, Australia. The singer had been due to begin the 20-date Australian leg of her current worldwide Showgirl tour in Sydney.

2006, Heavy metal monsters Lordi became Finland's first ever Eurovision Song Contest winners after their song Hard Rock Hallelujah won in Athens. The band won the Eurovision public vote after singing their heavy rock anthem dressed in horror costumes.

2006, Tool were at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘10,000 Days’ the American bands second No.1 album.

2007, Linkin Park went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Minutes To Midnight' the bands fifth Top 20 UK album. Also a US No.1.

2007, Rihanna featuring Jay-Z started a 10 week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Umbrella' which spent 10 consecutive weeks at No.1 in the UK making it the longest running No.1 single since Wet Wet Wet's ‘Love Is All Around'. Rihanna and Jay-Z won a Grammy Award for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration for the track.

2008, The US Congress passed a resolution designating May 13th as Frank Sinatra Day to honor his contribution to American culture.

2009, Michael Jackson delayed the opening four nights of his This Is It UK tour at London's O2 arena. Concert promoters AEG Live said the delay was necessary because the singer needed more time for dress rehearsals. The first show, on 8 July, was pushed back by five nights. Three other July dates would now not take place until March 2010
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2011 at 16:39
May 21st: Born on this day

1904, Born on this day, Fats Waller, US blues singer, died 15th December 1943.

1941, Born on this day, Ronald Isley, The Isley Brothers, (1968 UK No.3 single 'This Old Heart Of Mine', 1969 US No.2 single 'It's Your Thing').

1943, Born on this day, Hilton Valentine, guitar, The Animals, (1964 UK & US No.1 single 'House Of The Rising Sun').

1943, Born on this day, John Dalton, The Kinks, (1964 UK No.1 & US No.7 'You Really Got Me', 1967 UK No.2 single 'Waterloo Sunset' plus 19 other UK Top 40 singles).

1943, Born on this day, Vincent Crane, keyboards, The Crazy world of Arthur Brown, (1968 UK No.1 and US No.12 single 'Fire'), Atomic Rooster, (1971 UK No.4 single 'The Devil's Answer'). He died on 14th February 1989.

1948, Born on this day, Leo Sayer, (1977 UK & US No.1 single 'When I Need You', the Chrysalis record label's first No.1, plus 13 other UK Top 40 singles).

1954, Born on this day, Marc Ribot, guitarist and composer. Norah Jones, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits.

1955, Born on this day, Stan Lynch, drums, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, (1977 single 'American Girl', 1989 UK No.28 single 'I Won't Back Down', 1991 UK No.3 album 'Into The Great Wide Open').

1958, Born on this day, Mike Barson, keyboards, Madness, (1982 UK No.1 single 'House Of Fun' & over 20 other Top 40 UK hit singles).

1963, Born on this day, Kevin Shields, My Bloody Valentine, (1991 UK No.29 single 'To Here Knows When').

1963, Born on this day, Tim Lever, Dead Or Alive, (1985 UK No.1 single 'You Spin Me Round (Like A Record').

1964, Born on this day, Martin Blunt, bass, The Charlatans, (1990 UK No.9 single 'The Only One I Know', 1996 UK No.3 single 'One To Another', plus 3 UK No.1 albums).

1972, Born on this day, The Notorious B.I.G. (aka Biggie Smalls, aka Christopher G. Wallace). Gunned down on the streets of Los Angeles on 9th March 1997 aged 24. (1995 UK No.34 single 'One More Chance', 1997 US No.1 single 'Hypnotize').

1975, Born on this day, Lee Gaze, guitarist, Lostprophets, (2004 UK No.8 single ‘Last Train Home’, 2006 UK No.1 album ‘Liberation Transmission’).

1978, Born on this day, Adam Wade Gontier, lead singer and guitarist of Three Days Grace.

1985, Born on this day, Mutya Buena, singer, Sugababes, (2002 UK No.1 single, 'Round Round', 2002 UK No.2 album 'Angels With Dirty Faces'). Quit the group in Dec 2005.

May 21st: On this Day

1955, Eddie Calvert was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of 'Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White.' The song from the film 'Underwater' had also been a No.1 for Perez Prado in the same year.

1963, The Beatles, recorded two BBC radio programs at the Playhouse Theatre in London. They recorded five songs for Saturday Club and six songs for Steppin' Out.

1964, The Four Pennies were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Juliet'. The group's only UK No.1.

1965, The Four Tops appeared on UK TV show 'Ready Steady Goes Live!'

1966, The Mamas And The Papas went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'If You Can Believe Your Eyes And Ears.'

1966, The Castiles (with Bruce Springsteen on vocals) appeared at Freehold Regional High School in New Jersey. They were performing at their own high school for the very first time. All five members of the band were Juniors at Freehold High School.

1967, Jimi Hendrix signed with Reprise Records on the US Warner Brothers label. They released the guitarist's albums ‘Are You Experienced?’, ‘Axis: Bold as Love’ and ‘Electric Ladyland’.

1968, Rolling Stone Brian Jones appeared at Great Marlborough Street Magistrates court, London on a charge of possession of marijuana, Jones was released on £200 bail.

1974, Two would-be concert promoters were arrested by police in America on fraud charges in connection with selling mail order tickets for a forthcoming Elten John show. (Elten with an E and not an O). Police took away over $12,000 in cheques.

1977, Rod Stewart was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the double A sided single 'I Don't Want To Talk About It / First Cut Is The Deepest.' The Danny Whitten song 'I Don't Want To Talk About It' was also a UK No.3 hit for Everything But The Girl in 1988.

1977, Stevie Wonder started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with his tribute to Duke Ellington, 'Sir Duke', his sixth US No.1, it made No.2 in the UK.

1979, Elton John started a tour of Russia, when he played the first of eight concerts making him the first Western star ever to do so.

1980, A thief broke into Electric Lady Studios in New York City, the recording studio built by Jimi Hendrix and stole five Hendrix gold records for the albums ‘Are You Experienced?’, ‘Axis: Bold as Love’, ‘Cry of Love’, ‘Rainbow Bridge’ and ‘Live at Monterey’.

1980, Joe Strummer of The Clash was arrested at a much-troubled gig in Hamburg, Germany, after smashing his guitar over the head of a member of the audience; he was released after an alcohol test proved negative.

1982, The Hacienda Club was opened in Manchester, England. Madonna made her UK TV debut at the club when C4 music show The Tube was broadcast live. Home to many Manchester acts including Oasis, Happy Mondays, U2, The Smiths, Charlatans, James, M People who all played at the club. (The club closed in 1997).

1983, David Bowie went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Let's Dance', featuring blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan. It was Bowie’s first single to reach number one on both sides of the Atlantic.

1983, Michael Jackson's album 'Thriller' went back to No.1 for the third time on the UK charts and stayed at the top for another five weeks.

1988, Prince scored his first UK No.1 album with 'Lovesexy.'

1988, Wet Wet Wet and Billy Bragg were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'With A Little Help From My Friends' and 'She's Leaving Home.' The two Beatles songs had been recorded for the childLine charity, sales of the single, which spent four weeks at No.1 on the UK chart, were over £600,000, all of which was donated to ChildLine .

1994, All 4 One started an eleven week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Swear', a No.2 hit in the UK. The song had been a No.1 country hit for John Montgomery in 1994.

1994, Manchester United Football Club along with Status Quo were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Come On You Reds'.

1994, Tim McGraw started a two-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Not A Moment Too Soon.'

2000, Billie Piper went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Day & Night.' The singers last of 3 No.1's.

2000, Whitney Houston started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'The Greatest Hits.'

2001, Producer, arranger and keyboardist Tommy Eyre died of cancer aged 51. Worked with George Harrison, Wham! Dusty Springfield, and BB King. Played and arranged Joe Cocker's hit 'With A Little Help From My Friends' and Gerry Rafferty's 'Baker Street'.

2003, Mariah Carey hit back at Eminem's threats to sample the slushy voicemail messages she left on his mobile. Carey described the rapper as "a little girl" saying it's "like dealing with a girlfriend in 7th grade, and he shouldn't do it because it'll get him in a bit of trouble with her lawyers."

2003, Soul singer James Brown was pardoned for his past crimes in the US state of South Carolina. Brown had served a two-and-a-half-year prison term after an arrest on drug and assault charges in 1988 was granted a pardon by the State Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services. Brown, who appeared before the board, sang 'God Bless America' after the decision.

2005, Former East 17 singer Brian Harvey was rushed to hospital following his second suicide bid in a month. The singer battled wit police outside his house after taking an overdose of sleeping pills.

2006, Madonna played the first of three sold out nights at The Los Angeles Forum in California, the first dates on her Confessions Tour. The 60-date tour grossed over $260 million, becoming the highest grossing tour ever for a female artist.

2007, Former singer with Creed, Scott Stapp was arrested at his Florida home and charged with assault. The 33-year-old was held without bail following the charges, which related to a domestic assault.

2008, Lou Pearlman, the music mogul who created the Backstreet Boys and 'N Sync, was sentenced to 25 years in federal prison over a decades-long scam that swindled thousands of investors out of their life savings. Many victims were Pearlman's relatives, friends and retirees in their 70s or 80s who lost everything.

2009, Natalie Cole was recovering after undergoing a kidney transplant. The 59-year-old daughter of Nat King Cole had decided to postpone her summer tour, set to begin in June, as she recovered

2010, U2's lead singer Bono had emergency spinal surgery after suffering an injury while preparing for tour dates. The 50-year-old singer was treated at a specialist neurosurgery clinic in Munich and was expected to stay there for a number of days.

Edited by monarch
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2011 at 10:02
May 22nd: Born on this day

1924, Born on this day, Charles Aznavour, French singer, (1974 UK No.1 single 'She').

1931, Born on this day, Kenny Ball, (1961 UK & US No.2 single 'Midnight In Moscow').

1941, Born on this day, Bruce Rowlands, Fairport Convention, UK folk group, (1969 UK No.21 single 'Si Tu Dois Partir').

1942, Born on this day, Calvin Simon, Funkadelic, (1978 US No.16 album 'One Nation Under A Groove').

1950, Born on this day, Bernie Taupin, Elton John's long-time song writing partner. Rod Stewart, Cher, The Motels, John Waite, Starship and Alice Cooper have all recorded his songs.

1954, Born on this day, Jerry Dammers, founder member and keyboard play with The Specials, (1981 UK No.1 single 'Ghost Town'). He contributed to the founding of the Coventry based 2 Tone Records.

1955, Born on this day, Iva Davis, Icehouse, (1983 UK No.17 single 'Hey Little Girl').

1955, Born on this day, Mary Black, Irish singer, songwriter, (1991 album 'Babes In The Wood').

1959, Born on this day, Steven Morrissey, vocals, songwriter, The Smiths, (1984 UK No.10 single 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles'), solo, (1988 UK No.5 single 'Suedehead' plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles).

1962, Born on this day, Jesse Valenzuela, Gin Blossoms, (1994 UK No.24 single 'Hey Jealousy').

1966, Born on this day, Johnny Gill, US singer, (1992 UK No.17 single, 'Slow And Sexy').

1967, Born on this day, Dan Roberts, bass, Crash Test Dummies, (1994 UK No.2 & US No.4 single 'MMM MMM MMM MMM').

1979, Born on this day, Russell Pritchard, bass guitar, The Zutons. 2004 UK No. 6 album, ‘Who Killed …The Zutons’, 2006 UK No.9 single ‘Valerie’ (also a hit for Amy Winehouse).

1981, Born on this day, Su- Elise Nash, (Mis-Teeq), (2001 UK No.2 single 'All I Want').

May 22nd: On this Day

1958, Jerry Lee Lewis arrived at London's Heathrow Airport to begin his first British tour, along with his new bride, 14 year old third cousin, Myra. Although advised not to mention it, Lewis answered all questions about his private life. The public's shock over Lewis' marriage marks the start of a controversy leading to his British tour being cancelled after just 3 of the scheduled 37 performances.

1961, Ernie K Doe went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Mother In Law'.

1965, The Beatles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Ticket To Ride', the group's eighth US No.1.

1965, The Who appeared at the Astoria Ballroom, Rawtenstall, Lancashire, England.

1968, Gary Puckett And The Union Gap were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Young Girl.' The song which was about under-age sex was the acts only UK No.1.

1968, Frank Sinatra appeared at Oakland Coliseum, California backed by a full orchestra. The concert was a Democratic Party fundraiser.

1970, This week's UK Top 5 singles: No.5, 'Daughter Of Darkness', Tom Jones, No.4, 'Question', The Moody Blues, No.3, 'Yellow River', Christie, No.2, 'Spirit In The Sky', Norman Greenbaum and No.1, 'Back Home', The England World Cup Squad.

1971, The Rolling Stones album 'Sticky Fingers' started a four-week run at No.1 on the US charts, the group's second US No.1 album. The artwork for Sticky Fingers, which, on the original vinyl release, featured a working zipper that opened to reveal cotton briefs was conceived by American pop artist Andy Warhol. The cover, a photo of Joe Dallesandro's crotch clad in tight blue jeans, was assumed by many fans to be an image of Mick Jagger. The album also features the first usage of the "Tongue and Lip Design" designed by John Pasche.

1976, During a European tour The Rolling Stones played at Earls Court in London.

1976, Wings started a five week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Silly Love Songs', McCartney's fifth US No.1 since leaving The Beatles. It made No.2 in the UK.

1977, Television kicked off their first UK tour at the Apollo Theatre, Glasgow, Scotland, Blondie were the support act.

1980, Adam And The Ants appeared at the Electric Ballroom, London, England.

1980, Wishbone Ash kicked of a 13-date UK tour at Bracknell Sports Centre.

1980, U2 kicked off their 23 date ‘11 O’Clock Tick Tock’ tour at The Hope & Anchor in London.

1981, Stiff Little Fingers appeared at Dundee Caird Hall, Scotland.

1982, Madness went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Complete Madness', their first No.1 album.

1989, Stone Roses appeared at Dingwalls, London, England, tickets cost £5.

1989, Rap group Public Enemy fired one of its members, Professor Griff, after he made anti-Semitic remarks in the Washington Post.

1991, Wil Sinnott from The Shamen drowned while swimming off the coast of La Gomera when he was pulled under by strong currents. The Shamen were in Tenerife filming a video for their new single 'Move Any Mountain.'

1993, Swedish group Ace Of Base started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'All That She Wants', a No.2 hit in the US.

1997, Radiohead played the first of two sold-out nights at Zeleste, Barcelona, Spain.

2000, Robbie Williams set up a children's charity with the cash he earned from a deal with Pepsi. The trust, 'Give It Sum', boasted £2m seed money. Beneficiaries would include UNICEF and Jeans For Genes.

2000, Travis swept the board at the Ivor Novello awards. Singer Fran Healy won two awards for Best Contemporary Song for the single 'Why Does It Always Rain On Me'' And Songwriter Of The Year for the Travis album 'The Man Who.'

2002, Adam Ant appeared at The Old Bailey in London charged with possession of an imitation firearm. Ant, (Stuart Goddard) had been arrested in January after an altercation at The Prince of Wales pub in London when a bouncer refused to let him in.

2002, All the members from Alien Ant Farm were hospitalised after their tour bus was involved in a crash in Spain. The bands driver 26-year-old Christopher Holland was killed in the accident.

2003, A new model of J.Lo was unveiled at Madame Tussauds in London. It was part of a new "A list" celebrity area that also featured Naomi Campbell and Samuel L Jackson. J.Lo's waxwork cost £52,000 to make.

2003, Soul singer Ruben Studdard won the second series of talent show American Idol after 24 million viewers voted in the final. Studdard beat fellow finalist Clay Aiken in a tense live showdown.

2004, Morrissey appeared at the M.E.N. arena Manchester, England on his 45th birthday. It was Morrissey's return to his home city Manchester after an absence of 12 years and the 18000 tickets sold out in only 90 minutes. During the set Morrissey performed five Smiths songs.

2005, Oasis went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with ‘Lyla’ giving the UK band their seventh No.1 single. Taken from the album 'Don't Believe The Truth'.

2005, Dave Matthews Band were at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Stand Up.' The album entered the chart at No.1 with sales of 465,000. Features the singles 'American Baby,' 'Dreamgirl,' and 'Everybody Wake Up.'

2009, White Stripes drummer Meg White married Jackson Smith at ex-husband and bandmate Jack White's Nashville home. Jack and Meg White were married for four years and divorced in 2000. The event was part of a double wedding, which also saw Jack Lawrence and Jo McCaughey marry. Lawrence plays bass in Jack White's other musical projects, The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2011 at 13:28
May 23rd: Born on this day

1928, Born on this day, Rosemary Clooney, American singer, (1954 UK No.1 single 'This Ole House'). She died on 29th June 2002.

1934, Born on this day, Robert Moog, inventor of the synthesiser. He built his first electronic instrument, a theremin - aged 14 and made the MiniMoog, "the first compact, easy-to-use synthesiser" in 1970. He died on 21st Aug 2005 at his North Carolina home aged 71, four months after being diagnosed with brain cancer.

1943, Born on this day, Norman Johnson, Chairmen Of The Board, (1970 UK & US No.3 single, 'Give Me Just A Little More Time').

1944, Born on this day, Raymond Fulwood, Parliament, Funkadelic, (1978 US No.16 album 'One Nation Under A Groove').

1946, Born on this day, Daniel Klein, bass, J Geils Band, (1982 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Centrefold').

1947, Born on this day, Bill Hunt, Electric Light Orchestra, (1979 UK No.3 & US No.4 single 'Don't Bring Me Down', plus 26 other Top 40 hits).

1953, Born on this day, Rick Fenn, 10cc, (1975 UK No.1 & US No.2 single 'I'm Not In Love', plus 10 other UK Top 30 hits including two No.1's).

1965, Born on this day, Simon Gilbert, drums, Suede, (1994 UK No.3 single 'Stay Together').

1967, Born on this day, Junior Waite, Musical Youth, (1982 UK No.1 single 'Pass The Dutchie').

1967, Born on this day, Philip James Selway, drums, Radiohead, (1993 UK No.7 single 'Creep', 1997 UK No.1 & US No.21 album 'OK Computer', 2000 UK & US No.1 album 'Kid A').

1972, Born on this day, Maxwell, US male singer, (1997 UK No.27 single 'Sumthin' Sumthin' The Mantra', 2001 US No.1 album, 'Now').

1974, Born on this day, Jewel Kilcher, US singer, songwriter, (1995 US No.5 album 'Pieces Of You', has sold over 12m copies. 1997 US No.3 single 'You Were Meant For Me').

1974, Born on this day, Richard Jones, bass, Stereophonics, (2001 UK No.1 album 'Not Enough Education', 2001 UK No.4 single 'Handbags And Gladrags').

1975, Born on this day, KT Tunstall, UK singer, songwriter, 2005, UK No.3 album, ‘Eye To The Telescope’.

1983, Born on this day, Heidi Range, vocals, (original member of Atomic Kitten), The Sugababes, (2003 UK No.1 single 'Hole In The Head').

May 23rd: On this Day

1960, The Everly Brothers started a five week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Cathy's Clown', it spent seven weeks at No.1 in the UK.

1963, The Beatles, touring with Roy Orbison, performed at the Odeon Cinema, Nottingham, England.

1964, Ella Fitzgerald became the first artist to have a hit with a Beatles cover when 'Can't Buy Me Love' entered the UK chart.

1967, After several days abortive work at Abbey Road Studios, Pink Floyd moved to Sound Technique studios in Chelsea, London to record 'See Emily Play' and 'Scarecrow'.

1970, Paul McCartney's debut solo album, 'McCartney', started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart.

1970, The Beatles album 'Let It Be' started a three week run at No.1 on the UK chart, featuring 'The Long And Winding Road', 'Across The Universe' and 'Let It Be.'

1970, The Grateful Dead played their first gig outside the US at 'The Hollywood Rock Music Festival', in Newcastle under Lyme, Staffs, England.

1973, Jefferson Airplane were prevented from giving a free concert in Golden Gate Park when San Francisco authorities passed a resolution banning electronic instruments. The group later wrote ‘We Built this City’ about the ban.

1974, George Harrison announced the launch of his own record label, 'Dark Horse.'

1978, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band kicked off their 117 show Darkness Tour at Shea's Buffalo in Buffalo, New York.

1979, Due to a record company dispute, Tom Petty was forced to file for bankruptcy owing $575,000 (£338,235). A long-running battle with his record company followed.

1980, Saxon and Tygers Of Pan Tang kicked off a 22-date UK tour at Bristol Coliston Hall. Tickets, £2.00-£3.00.

1981, Starsound 'Stars on 45' started a five week run at No.1 on the UK album chart.

1982, The UK Musicians Union moved a resolution to ban synthesizers and drum rhythm machines from sessions and live concerts fearing that their use would put musicians out of work.

1987, Swing Out Sister went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their debut LP 'It's Better To Travel', their only UK No.1 album.

1987, The Beastie Boys and Run DMC opened their UK tour in London.

1991, New Kids On The Block played the first of five nights at Birmingham's NEC.

1991, Photographer Michael Lavine took what would be the publicity shots for Nirvana’s 'Nevermind' album at Jay Aaron Studios in Los Angeles. The idea for the front cover shot of the baby swimming was taken after Kurt Cobain and Dave Grohl saw a TV documentary on water babies and was taken by Kirk Weddle. Several babies were used; five-month old Spencer Eldon’s photo came out best.

1992, A statement issued by Freddie Mercury’s attorneys stated that Mercury had bequeathed the majority of his estate (£10 million - $17 million) to his long-time friend Mary Austin.

1992, Iron Maiden went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Fear Of The Dark' their third No.1 album.

1992, Kris Kross went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Totally Krossed Out.'

1998, Mariah Carey went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'My All.'

1999, Shanks & Bigfoot with vocals by Sharon Woolf started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Sweet Like Chocolate.'

1999, Tim McGraw was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘A Place In The Sun.’

2000, Noel Gallagher walked out on his band Oasis during a European tour. The move was put down to a series of burst-ups with his brother Liam. The band drafted in replacement guitarist Matt Deighton for the rest of the European dates.

2002, Cliff Richard announced plans to launch a new wine “Vida Nova”. 27,000 bottles of the Portuguese red from the grapes of his 25 acre estate would go on sale at £8.99 ($15.28) a bottle.

2002, 'Up For Grabs' opened at London's Wyndham's Theatre featuring Madonna in the lead role. The first night crowd complained that the singer was lacking in vocal power and strained to hear her lines.

2002, Winners at the 47th Ivor Novello awards included, Dido for Songwriter of the year, Best song went to U2, 'Walk On.' Kylie Minogue won The Dance Award and Most Performed Work and International Hit for 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head.' Hear'say won Bestselling UK single for 'Pure And Simple'. Mick Hucknall won Outstanding Song collection and Kate Bush was awarded Outstanding contribution to British music.

2006, The king of Sweden presented the surviving members of Led Zeppelin with the Polar Music Prize in Stockholm recognising them as "great pioneers" of rock music. Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones were joined by the daughter of drummer John Bonham, who died in 1980. The Polar Music Prize was founded in 1989 by Stig Anderson, manager of Swedish pop group Abba, who named it after his record label, Polar Records previous winners include Sir Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen and producer Quincy Jones.

2007, Chrisette Michele went to No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Epiphany’, the R&B singers second album.

2009, Amy Winehouse cancelled her appearance at a concert to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Island Records. The event, scheduled to take place on 31st May at London's Shepherd's Bush Empire, had now been cancelled completely, her management said.

2010, The Rolling Stones scored their first UK No.1 album for 16 years with the re-release of their classic 1972 double LP Exile On Main Street. The album, which was first released in 1972, had been reissued with previously unheard tracks. Their last number one album was 1994's Voodoo Lounge.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 13:17
May 24th: Born on this day

1941, Born on this day, Robert Zimmerman, (Bob Dylan), US folk singer, songwriter. Released over 40 albums since 1964, major influence on The Beatles and The Rolling Stones during the 60's. Biggest hit is 1965 US No.2 single 'Like A Rolling Stone', 1969 UK No.5 single 'Lay Lady Lay', 1964 UK No.1 album 'The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan'. 2006 album 'Modern Times' entered the US chart at No.1. Also a member of The Traveling Wilburys.

1942, Born on this day, Derek Quinn, Freddie and the Dreamers, (1963 UK No.3 single 'You Were Made For Me', 1965 US No.1 single 'I'm Telling You Now').

1945, Born on this day, Dave Peacock, Chas & Dave, (1982 UK No.2 single 'Ain't No Pleasing You').

1946, Born on this day, Steve Upton, Wishbone Ash, (1972 UK No.3 album 'Argus', & 8 other Top 40 albums).

1947, Born on this day, Albert Bouchard, drummer, guitarist, songwriter, Blue Oyster Cult, (1976 US No. 12 and 1978 UK No.16 single 'Don't Fear The Reaper').

1947, Born on this day, Cynthia ‘Plaster’ Caster, groupie who became famous for making plaster cast’s of rock star’s penises and breasts. Clients include Jimi Hendrix and members from MC5, Television, The Kinks and various road managers.

1960, Born on this day, Guy Fletcher, multi-instrumentalist, Roxy Music, (joine Roxy Music in 1981 for their 'Avalon' world tour). Also worked with Bryan Ferry, Dire Straits an Mark Knopfler.

1962, Born on this day in 1962, Gene Anthony Ray, ‘Leroy’ in TV’s ‘Fame’. Axed fro the show in 1984 after his mother was jailed for running a drug ring, danced with The Weather Girls in their video of ‘It's Raining Men.’ He died on November 19th 2003.

1967, Born on this day, Heavy D, US rapper, (1991 UK No.2 single 'Now That We Found Love').

1969, Born on this day, Rich Robinson, guitar, The Black Crowes, (1991 UK No.39 single 'Hard To Handle', 1992 US No.1 & UK No.2 album 'The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion').

1969, Born on this day, Tommy Page, (1990 US No.1 single 'I'll Be Your Everything', No. 53 in the UK.

1976, Born on this day, Alessandro Cortini, keyboards, Nine Inch Nails, (2005 US No.1 album ‘White Teeth’).

May 24th: On this Day

1956, The first Eurovision Song Contest was held in Lugano, Switzerland. The event was the brainchild of Marcel Baisoncon of the European Broadcasting Union. Seven countries participated and they were each allowed two songs. Both Luxembourg and the winner Switzerland used the same singer for both. Switzerland won with ‘Refrain’ by Lys Assia.

1962, Elvis Presley was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Good Luck Charm' his 11th UK No.1 single.

1963, Elmore James US blues guitarist, singer, died of a heart attack aged 45. Wrote 'Shake Your Money Maker', Covered by Fleetwood Mac in 1968. Known as "The King of the Slide Guitar", James influenced Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Keith Richards.

1963, The Beatles recorded the first of their very own BBC radio program, "Pop Go the Beatles". The theme song for the program was a version of "Pop Goes the Weasel". The Beatles' guests for this first show were the Lorne Gibson Trio.

1966, Captain Beefheart appeared at the Whisky a Go Go. West Hollywood, California. Supported by Buffalo Springfield and The Doors.

1968, The Rolling Stones released the single 'Jumpin Jack Flash' in the UK, the track gave them their seventh UK No.1 hit.

1969, Bob Dylan scored his fourth No.1 UK album with 'Nashville Skyline'.

1969, BBC television aired the first '33 & A Third Revolutions Per Monkee', guests included Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and Julie Driscoll.

1969, The Beatles with Billy Preston started a five week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Get Back', the group's 17th US No.1.

1970, Peter Green played his last gig with Fleetwood Mac when they appeared at the Bath Festival, Somerset, England.

1974, American composer, pianist, and bandleader Duke Ellington, died of lung cancer and pneumonia aged 75. Worked with Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie, Billie Holiday. Awarded a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1966. In 2009 the United States Mint launched a new coin featuring Duke Ellington on the reverse side of the coin.

1975, Earth Wind and Fire went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Shining Star', the group's first and only US No.1.

1980, Genesis fans turning up at the Roxy Club box office in Los Angeles to buy tickets for a forthcoming gig were surprised to find the band members Phil Collins, Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford selling the tickets themselves.

1982, The Clash kicked off a 12-date UK tour at Leeds University.

1984, US backed pirate station Laser 558, started broadcasting in the UK. Within a few months the station claimed to have over 10 million listeners.

1986, Country singer Garth Brooks married Sandy Mahl. The couple divorced in 2000 after 12 years of marriage.

1991, Founder member of The Byrds Gene Clark died of a heart attack aged 49. Wrote The Byrds hits 'I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better', and 'Eight Miles High', member of McGuinn, Clark and Hillman and solo.

1991, Guns n' Roses played the first show on their 192-date Use Your Illusion world Tour at Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, Wisconsin.

1992, Police in Montgomery were called when an impostor posing as Steve Miller left a hotel owing a $600 (£353) unpaid bill, he did however leave a $73 (£43) tip on a $8 (£4.7) drinks bill.

1997, Hanson started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'MMMBop', the brothers first US No.1, also a No.1 in the UK.

1997, The Spice Girls went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Spice', making them only the third all girl group to do so after The Supremes and The Go-Go's and the first ever UK girl group to do so.

1997, Boyzone kicked off a 12-date UK tour at Aberdeen Conference Centre.

1998, John Martyn, The Verve and Beck all appeared at Haigh Hall, Wigan, England.

1998, Garbage went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Version 2.0.'

1999, Freddie Mercury was featured on a new set of millennium stamps issued by the Royal Mail. The Queen front man who died in 1991, was featured on the 19p stamp. The singer was a keen stamp collector, and his collection was bought by the Post Office in 1993. The stamp marked his contribution to the Live Aid charity concert in 1985.

2000, A New York Judge told Pretenders singer Chrissie Hynde that if she wanted her March arrest for protesting the sale of leather goods in a Gap store dismissed, she'd better keep her nose clean for the next six months.

2000, Andrea and Sharon Corr from The Corrs both collapsed in the mid-day sun whilst shooting their new video in the Mojave Desert in California. The pair were treated in hospital for heat exhaustion and were back on the set within 24 hours.

2002, Paul McCartney opened his first major UK art exhibition 'The Art Of Paul McCartney' at The Walker, Liverpool.

2003, Paul McCartney made his first ever live performance in Russia when he appeared in-front of 20,000 fans in Red Square.

2004, Madonna kicked off the North American leg of her Re-invention World Tour by playing three sold out nights at The Los Angeles Forum. The tour became the top grossing of the year, with ticket sales of nearly $125 million, with over 900,000 fans attending the 60 date tour. As a follower of the Kabbalah, Madonna didn’t play any Friday night gigs as the teaching of the religion forbids it.

2007, Amy Winehouse, Madonna and Arctic Monkeys were among the winners at this years Ivor Novello Awards. Winehouse won best contemporary song for her hit ‘Rehab’, while Madonna collected the international hit of the year for ‘Sorry.’ Sheffield-based band Arctic Monkeys collected the best album award for ‘Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not.’

2009, Dizzee Rascal and Armand Van Helden went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Bonkers'.

2009, Billy Joel was being sued by his former drummer for hundreds of thousands of dollars in unpaid royalties. Liberty Devitto, claimed that Joel hadn't paid him proper royalties for 10 years of his work. Devitto was Joel's drummer from 1975 until 2005, when he said he was abruptly thrown out of the band. He said: "People get fired, they get severance or insurance for a certain period of time. I didn't even get a phone call. It was cold."

2009, Eminem started a two week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Relapse’ the rappers sixth studio album.

2010, Paul Gray, the bassist with US metal band Slipknot, was found dead in a hotel in Des Moines, Iowa. The body of the 38-year-old musician was found by an employee at the hotel in a suburb of the city. Police said foul play was not suspected, but an autopsy would be carried out. The nine members of Slipknot wore masks in public and referred to other bandmates by numbers; Gray was number two
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2011 at 13:07
May 25th: Born on this day

1921, Born on this day, Hal David, US songwriter, pianist and arranger, with Burt Bacharach. Wrote many classic songs including, 'Close To You', '24 Hours From Tulsa', 'Make It Easy On Yourself', 'Magic Moments', 'I Say A Little Prayer'. Won two Oscars for film score 'Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid', for 'Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head'.

1926, Born on this day, Miles Davis, jazz trumpeter and composer who had a 1959 album with Kind of Blue. He was a major influence on jazz music. Davis died on September 28th 1991.

1936, Born on this day, Donnie Elbert, US soul singer who had a 1972 US No.22 & UK No.11 single with ‘I Can’t Help Myself, Sugar Pie Huney Bunch’. He died on January 26th 1989.

1942, Born on this day, Brian Davison, The Nice, (1968 UK No.21 single 'America').

1943, Born on this day, John Palmer, Family, (1971 UK No.4 single 'In My Own Time').

1945, Born on this day, Dave Lee Travis, BBC Radio 1 and TV presenter. (1976 UK No.4 single ‘Convoy GB’ as Laurie Lingo and the Dipsticks).

1947, Born on this day, Mitchel Margo, The Tokens, (1961 US No.1 & UK No.11 single 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight').

1948, Born on this day, Klaus Meine, The Scorpions, (1991 UK No.2 single 'Wind Of Change').

1950, Born on this day, Jean Millington, all Girl group Fanny, (1975 US No. 29 single 'Butter Boy'.).

1950, Born on this day, Robert Steinhardt, Kansas, (1978 US No.3 single 'Dust In The Wind', UK No.59 single 'Carry On Wayward Son').

1955, Born on this day, John Grimaldi, Argent, (1972 UK No.5 single 'Hold Your Head Up').

1958, Born on this day, Paul Weller, UK singer, guitarist, songwriter, The Jam, (1980 UK No.1 single 'Going Underground' plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles). Style Council, (1983 UK No.3 single 'Long Hot Summer' plus 14 other UK Top 40 singles). Solo (1995 UK No.7 single 'The Changing Man').

1959, Born on this day, Rick Smith, keyboards, Underworld, (1996 UK No.2 single 'Born Slippy').

1975, Born on this day, Lauryn Hill, singer, The Fugees, (1996 UK No.1 single 'Killing Me Softly'), solo, (1998 UK No.3 single 'Doo Wop, That Thing', 1998 US No.1 & UK No.2 album 'The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill').

1980, Born on this day, Joe King, guitarist, vocals, The Fray, (2005 US Top 3 single ‘How to Save a Life’).

May 25th: On this Day

1956, Elvis Presley played at the Fox Theatre, Detroit.

1961, The Temperance Seven were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'You're Driving Me Crazy', their only UK No.1 single. The song gave producer George Martin his first No.1.

1965, Blues harmonica player, singer and songwriter, Sonny Boy Williamson died in his sleep. Van Morrison, Aerosmith, The Who, The Animals, Yardbirds and Moody Blues all covered his songs. According to the Led Zeppelin biography Hammer of the Gods, touring the UK in the 60's, Sonny Boy set his hotel room on fire while trying to cook a rabbit in a coffee percolator.

1967, Procol Harum's 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale', entered the UK chart for the first time, it went on to be a number 1 hit.

1967, Pink Floyd appeared at the Gwent Constabulary ('A' Division) Spring Holiday Barn Dance, held at The Barn, Grosmont Wood Farm in Cross Ash, Wales, UK.

1968, Simon and Garfunkel scored their second US No.1 album with 'Bookends'.

1969, A benefit concert was held for Fairport Convention at The Roundhouse, London to raise money for the families of the bands drummer Martin Lamble, Richard Thompson's girlfriend and clothes designer Jeannie Franklyn who were all killed in an accident driving back from a gig. Also on the bill, Family, Pretty Things, Soft Machine and John Peel.

1973, Carole King played a concert in New York's Central Park, which attracted an audience of 100,000.

1973, During a 21-date UK tour Wings played the first of three sold out nights at the Hammersmith Odeon in London.

1974, Cockney Rebel and Be Bop Deluxe appeared at Friars, Aylesbury, England.

1974, Rick Wakeman became the first member of the group Yes to have a No.1 UK album when 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth' went to the top of the charts.

1978, After seeing The Hype (soon to become U2) appearing at the Project Arts Centre, in Dublin, Paul McGuinness became their manager.

1981, Slade appeared at The Oxford New Theatre, Oxford, England.

1985, Dire Straits scored their second UK No.1 album with 'Brothers In Arms', also No.1 in the US and 24 other countries. It went on to sell over 20 million copies worldwide.

1985, Wham! started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Everything She Wants.'

1990, Fleetwood Mac played the first of 42 North American dates on their Behind The Mask world tour at the PNE Coliseum in Vancouver, Canada. Squeeze were the opening act.

1991, Mariah Carey scored her fourth US No.1 single with 'I Don't Wanna Cry', not a hit in the UK.

1991, Michael Bolton went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Time, Love and Tenderness.'

1992, Khalil Rountree, tour manager of Boyz II Men was killed by gunfire after a scuffle in an elevator on the 26th floor of a hotel in Chicago; their assistant tour manager was also injured.

1995, The earliest known recording of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, from 1961, was sold at Christies in London for £50,250 ($85,425).

1996, Gina G had her first UK No.1 hit single when 'Ooh Aah...Just A Little Bit' went to the top of the charts for 1 week. Australian singer Gina was representing the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest where she finished in eighth place in the contest.

1997, A report showed that Elvis Presley was now the world’s bestselling posthumous entertainer with worldwide sales of over one billion, over 480 active fanclubs and an estimated 250,000 UK fans who still buy his records. Ironically he had died owing $3 million (£1.76 million).

1997, Michael Jackson went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Blood On The Dance Floor.'

2000, UK Supermarket chain ASDA decided to cancel a signing tour planned to promote Boyzone's Mikey Graham's debut solo single 'Like An Angel' after he admitted that he had used cannabis and gone on alcohol benders with his fellow Boyz.

2001, Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher won a damages settlement from The Daily Mirror after they claimed he lied in court during divorce proceedings with Meg Matthews.

2002, 30 Eminem fans were hurt after a crowd surge at a gig in Washington DC. Five people were taken to hospital, one man suffered a heart attack.

2003, 50 Cent started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with '21 Questions', the rapper's second US No.1.

2003, Jemini, the UK entry for this year's Eurovision Song Contest, failed to get a single point, the first time a UK entry had ended up with nul points. The first nul pointers came in 1962, six years after the contest started, when four countries Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands and Spain all failed to register.

2003, Marilyn Manson were at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘The Golden Age of Grotesque’, a No. 4 hit in the UK and the bands second US No.1.

2004, Madonna canceled three shows in Israel after terrorists threatened to kill her and her kids. A spokesperson said she was targeted because she symbolises the West and not because she practises the Jewish faith Kabbalah.

2006, Jamaican reggae singer, songwriter Desmond Dekker died of a heart attack at his home in London, England. Had one of the first international Jamaican hits in 1968 with the ‘Israelites’.

2007, Sixties pop star Wayne Fontana was remanded in custody after admitting pouring petrol over a bailiff's car and setting fire to it. The judge criticised the former lead singer of the Mindbenders, for arriving at Derby Crown court dressed as the Lady of Justice. He had to hand a sword and scales to guards but still wore a crown, cape and dark glasses, claiming "justice is blind".

2008, The Ting Tings went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their debut album ‘We Started Nothing.’

2008, Rihanna scored her second UK No.1 hit single with a song written by Ne-Yo, 'Take A Bow'. Also a US No.1.

2009, A former member of Wilco, who was suing the band over a royalties claim, died at his home in Illinois at the age of 45. Jay Bennett worked as a sound engineer and played instruments for the band between 1994 and

2001. Bennett filed his legal action against Wilco lead singer Jeff Tweedy at the beginning of May, claiming $50,000 (£33,160) for five albums he made with the group.

Edited by monarch
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2011 at 13:35
May 26th: Born on this day

1904, Born on this day, George Formby, UK singing comedian and ukulele player. He made over 20 films and his best-known song is ‘Leaning On A Lamp Post’. He was made an OBE in 1946, and died on March 6th 1961. Formby influenced George Harrison.

1920, Born on this day, American singer, actress, Peggy Lee, real name: Norma Dolores Egstrom, (1958 US No. 8 & UK No.5 single 'Fever', worked with Benny Goodman, Randy Newman, Quincy Jones. She was nominated for 12 Grammy Awards, winning Best Contemporary Vocal Performance for her 1969 hit ‘Is That All There Is?’ She died on 21st January 2002.

1941, Born on this day, Art Sharp, Nashville Teens, (1964 UK No.6 single 'Tobacco Road').

1942, Born on this day, Ray Ennis, Swinging Blue Jeans, (1964 UK No.2 and US No.24 single 'Hippy Hippy Shake').

1943, Born on this day, Levon Helm, drums, vocals, The Band, (1969 US No.25 single 'Up On Cripple Creek', 1970 UK No.16 single 'Rag Mama Rag').

1945, Born on this day, Verden Allen, keyboards, Mott The Hoople, (1972 UK No.3 & US No.37 single 'All The Young Dudes').

1945, Born on this day, Gary Peterson, Guess Who, (1970 US No.1 & UK No.19 single 'American Woman').

1946, Born on this day, Mick Ronson, guitarist, producer, member of The Rats, then worked with David Bowie, (1992 UK No.5 album 'The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars', 1974 UK No.5 single 'Rebel Rebel'). Also worked with Mott The Hoople, Bob Dylan, Ian Hunter. Released the 1974 UK No.9 solo album 'Slaughter On Tenth Avenue'. Ronson died on April 29th 1993.

1948, Born on this day, Stevie Nicks, singer, Fleetwood Mac, (1987 UK No.5 single 'Little Lies' and 1977 US No.1 single 'Dreams', from world wide No.1 album 'Rumours'). Solo, (1981 US No.1 & UK No.11 album 'Bella Donna', 1989 UK No. 16 single 'Rooms On Fire').

1949, Born on this day, Hank Williams Jr, country singer, songwriter, son of country music's greatest star.

1959, Born on this day, Wayne Hussey, guitar, Dead Or Alive, (1985 UK No.1 single 'You Spin me round, Like A record'), Sisters Of Mercy, The Mission, (1988 UK No.12 single 'Tower Of Strength').

1962, Born on this day, Colin Vearncombe, singer, songwriter, Black, (1987 UK No.8 single 'Wonderful Life'). Solo

1964, Born on this day, Lenny Kravitz, US singer, guitarist, songwriter, (1990 UK No.39 single 'Let Love Rule', 1999 UK No.1 single 'Fly Away', 1993 UK No.1 album 'Are You Gonna Go My Way'). Worked with Mick Jagger,[more]

1972, Born on this day, Alan White, drums, Oasis, (replaced Tony McCarroll in 1995, 1996 UK No.1 single 'Don't Look Back In Anger'). Sacked from the band in 2004.

1978, Born on this day, Jaheim Hoagland, (aka Jaheim), US R&B singer, (2006 US No.1 album ‘Ghetto Classics’).

1981, Born on this day, Isaac Slade, lead singer and pianist, The Fray, (2005 US Top 3 single ‘How to Save a Life’).

May 26th: On this Day

1962, Acker Bilk went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Stranger On The Shore'; it became a million seller in the UK making No.2 on the charts.

1964, Marianne Faithful recorded the Mick Jagger and Keith Richards song ‘As Tears Go By’, accompanied by future Led Zeppelin members Jimmy Page on guitar and John Paul Jones on bass.

1966, The Rolling Stones were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Paint It Black', their sixth UK No.1 single.

1966, The Beatles recorded ‘Yellow Submarine’ at Abbey Road studios in London. Recovering from a case of food poisoning, producer George Martin missed this recording, EMI engineer Geoff Emerick worked on the session.

1968, US blue artist Little Willie John died in prison after being convicted of manslaughter. Co-wrote and was the first to record a 'Fever' (covered by Peggy Lee in 1958), and 'Need Your Love So Bad' covered by Fleetwood Mac. James Brown recorded a tribute album Thinking Of Little Willie John... And A Few Other Nice Things.

1969, John and Yoko began an eight-day 'bed in', in room 1742 of The Hotel La Reine Elizabeth, Montreal, Canada, to promote world peace. They recorded ‘Give Peace a Chance’ in the hotel room (Petula Clark can be heard on the chorus). The song was credited to Lennon & McCartney, even though Paul had nothing to do with the record.

1972, At the point of the band splitting up David Bowie offered Mott The Hoople two of his new songs, 'Suffragette City', which they turned down and 'All The Young Dudes', which they recorded. The song gave the group a No.3 UK and US Top 40 hit.

1972, The first day of the four day UK festival 'The Great Western Express' near Lincoln featuring; The Faces, Joe Cocker, Humble Pie, Slade, The Groundhogs, Ry Cooder, Don McLean, Brewers Droop plus a special appearance by Monty Python.

1973, The Beatles '1967-1970' album went to No.1 on the US chart.

1973, The Edgar Winter Group went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Frankenstein', the bands only US No.1, it reached No.18 in the UK. The group featured ex McCoys guitarist Rick Derringer.

1974, Tragedy struck at a David Cassidy concert at London's White City when over 1,000 fans had to be treated by first aid workers due to the frenzied excitement. One fan Bernadette Whelan died from heart failure four days later.

1977, Billy Powell singer with The O'Jays died of cancer. (1972, hit 'Back Stabbers', 1973 US No.1 & UK No.9 single 'Love Train'). Originally known as The Triumphs, and then The Mascots, they took the name "The O'Jays", in tribute to radio disc jockey Eddie O'Jay.

1978, On Irish television today; at 4.00 'Top Cat', 4.30 'Skippy' and at 5.30 a program called 'Youngline' a series for young people highlighting their interests. On today's show a feature on a new pop group, The Hype (U2).

1979, The Undertones, The Knack and The Chords all appeared at Friars, Aylesbury, England.

1979, 'Sunday Girl' gave Blondie their second UK No.1 hit single. The track was taken from the group's 'Parallel Lines', which went on to become the biggest selling album of 1979.

1979, The first day of the two day Loch Lomond Festival with The Stranglers, Dr Feelgood, Skids, Third World, The Dickies. Day two featured The AWB, Buzzcocks, Rockpile and The Boomtown Rats who played 'I Don't Like Mondays' live for the first time.

1982, The Rolling Stones kicked off a 23-date UK and European tour at The Capital Theatre, Aberdeen, Scotland

1984, Former backing singer with Stevie Wonder, Deniece Williams started a 2 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Let's Hear It For The Boy', taken from the film 'Footlose', a No.2 hit in the UK.

1989, The Shamen supported by The Inspiral Carpets appeared at the University Of London, tickets £4.50.

1990, David Bowie was sued by his ex wife Angie for $56 million.

1990, For the first time ever the Top five positions on the US singles chart were held by female artists; Madonna was at No.1 with 'Vogue', Heart were at No.2, Sinead O'Connor No.3, Wilson Phillips at No.4 and Janet Jackson was at No.5

1991, The Glitter Band, Sweet, Mud, The Rollers and Suzi Quatro all appeared at a Glam rock special bank holiday weekend at Pontins, Hemsby, England. Tickets £55.

1994, Michael Jackson married Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of Elvis Presley. The couple divorced in 1995.

1996, A fire at the home of Eric Clapton caused over one and a half million pounds worth of damage; Firemen arrived on the scene to find Clapton braving the blaze to save his collection of guitars.

1996, George Michael went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Older.'

1997, Bob Dylan was admitted to a Malibu Hospital with chest pains, causing all his summer tour to be cancelled.

2000, Drummer Tommy Lee was jailed for five days for drinking alcohol. Lee appeared in front of a LA court charged with violating his probation by consuming alcohol, an act that directly contravenes the terms of his parole.

2001, Black Sabbath, Slipknot, Tool and Papa Roach appeared at Ozzfest, Milton Keynes Bowl, England. Tickets cost £32.50 ($55.25).

2002, The first episode of 'At Home With The Osbournes' was shown on MTV in the UK.

2002, Eminem scored his third UK No.1 single with 'Without Me', taken from his fourth studio album The Eminem Show.

2006, During his 'On A Island' UK tour David Gilmour appeared at The Bridgewater Hall in Manchester

2006, Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale became parents when their baby boy Kingston James McGregor Rossdale was born.

2009, A US judge ended a bitter two-year battle over the late soul singer James Brown's estate. Judge Jack Early ruled half of his assets will go to a charitable trust, a quarter to his wife and young son, and the rest to his six adult children. Brown's family and wife Tomi Rae Hynie Brown had fought over his fortune since he died of heart failure in 2006.

Edited by monarch
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 13:49
May 27th: Born on this day

1935, Born on this day, Ruby Lewis, The Drifters, (1960 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Save The Last Dance For Me'). He died on May 10th 1964.

1935, Born on this day, Ramsey Lewis, US keyboard player, (1965 US No.5 single 'The In Crowd', 1972 UK No.31 single 'Wade In The Water').

1943, Born on this day, Priscilla White (Cilla Black), singer, TV presenter, 1964 UK No.1 single 'Anyone Who Had A Heart' plus 18 other UK Top 40 singles).

1947, Born on this day, Marty Kristian, The New Seekers, (1972 UK No.1 single 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing').

1947, Born on this day, Peter Knight, violin, Steeleye Span, (1975 UK No.5 single 'All Around My Hat').

1948, Born on this day, Pete Sears, Jefferson Starship, (1987 UK & US No.1 single 'Nothing's Gonna Stop Us').

1956, Born on this day, Neil Finn, guitar, vocals, Split Enz, (1980 UK No.12 single 'I Got You'). Crowded House, (1992 UK No.7 single 'Weather With You'). Solo and Finn Brothers.

1957, Born on this day, Eddie Harsch, keyboards, The Black Crowes, (1991 UK No.39 single 'Hard To Handle', 1992 US No.1 & UK No.2 album 'The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion').

1957, Born on this day, Susan Dallion, (Siouxsie Sioux), vocals, Siouxsie And The Banshees, 1983 UK No.3 single 'Dear Prudence', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles). Also a member of The Creatures, (1983 UK No.14 single 'Right Now').

1966, Born on this day, Sean Kinney, Alice In Chains, (1993 UK No.19 single 'Would').

1971, Born on this day, Lisa Lopes, Left-Eye, vocals, TLC, (1995 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Waterfalls' 1999 US No.1 album 'Fanmail' spent 57 weeks on the UK chart). ). Lisa was killed in a car accident on April 26th 2002.

1975, Born on this day, Dre, (Andre Benjamin), Outkast, US rapper, 2001 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Ms Jackson.'

May 27th: On this Day

1957, Buddy Holly and the Crickets released their first record, 'That'll Be The Day.' A UK No.1 and US No.3 hit.

1963, The Beatles, touring the UK with Roy Orbison played at the Capitol Cinema, Cardiff in Wales.

1964, Eleven boys were suspended from a school in Coventry, England for having Mick Jagger haircuts.

1964, Pirate radio station 'Sutch' was started by Screaming Lord Sutch, broadcasting from former army fort 'Shivering Sands' in The Thames Estuary.

1965, Sandie Shaw scored her second UK No.1 single with 'Long Live Love.'

1967, To celebrate Cilla Black's birthday, her manager Brian Epstein organised illuminated greetings at London's Piccadilly Circus and sites in Manchester, Bristol and Birmingham.

1972, The Chi-lites went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Oh Girl', it made No.14 in the UK.

1972, David Bowie appeared at Ebbisham Hall, Epsom, England on his Ziggy Stardust tour.

1977, Declan McManus made his 'live' debut at the Nashville in London as Elvis Costello.

1977, The Sex Pistols single 'God Save The Queen' was released in the UK. Banned by TV and radio, high street shops and pressing plant workers refused to handle the record. It sold 200,000 copies in one week and peaked at No.2 on the UK charts behind Rod Stewart's 'I Don't Want to Talk About It'. There have been persistent rumours, (never confirmed or denied), that it was actually the biggest-selling single in the UK at the time, and the British Phonographic Industry conspired to keep it off the No.1 slot.

1983, The Smiths were at No.1 on the UK independent chart with their debut single 'Hand In Glove.'

1988, Def Leppard kicked off the third leg of their North American Hysteria world tour at George M. Sullivan Arena, Anchorage, Alaska.

1989, Cliff Richard released his one hundredth single, 'The Best Of Me', which became his 26th Top 3 UK hit.

1990, The Stone Roses played at Spike Island, Widnes, Cheshire, England to a capacity crowd of 30,000.

1994, The Eagles played their first show in fourteen years when they played a show in Burbank, California. The two-and-a-half-hour show ended with two encores, closing with ‘Desperado’.

1997, Oasis singer Liam Gallagher was left with cuts and bruises after a scuffle with a youth at the Tower Thistle Hotel in east London. Members of the band had been drinking at the bar when the fight broke out.

1999, Winners at the Ivor Novello song writing awards included Rod Stewart who won a Lifetime Achievement Award, Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers won songwriters of the year and Chrissie Hynde won outstanding contribution to British Music.

2000, Paula Yates was awarded £400,000 ($680,000) in an out-of-court settlement from her boyfriend Michael Hutchence fortune. Hutchence had died in 1997 INXS singer Hutchence was found dead in his hotel suite in Sydney in 1997 aged 37.

2001, Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya and Pink started a five week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Lady Marmalade.' A hit for LaBelle in 1975, this version was from the Baz Luhrmann film Moulin Rouge.

2005, Robbie Williams was voted into first place beating Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix and David Bowie to be named the best live solo artist. A UK nation-wide survey of 5,000 people saw the former Take That star beat music icons including Madonna, Michael Jackson and Bob Dylan. U2 were named best live band, ahead of Queen and Oasis, in a poll by Carling to celebrate the UK's live music scene.

2006, Red Hot Chili Peppers started a two-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Stadium Arcadium’ the bands ninth studio album, also a UK No.1.

2007, Saatchi & Saatchi were fired by Dr Martens for running an advertising campaign featuring dead rock stars such as Kurt Cobain and Sid Vicious wearing the brand's boots in heaven. David Suddens, the chief executive of Dr Martens parent company Airwear, said the brand had not commissioned the series of four print ads. "Dr Martens are very sorry for any offence that has been caused by the publication of images showing dead rock icons wearing Dr Martens boots."

2007, Maroon 5 started a two week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with their second album 'It Won't Be Soon Before Long.' Also a US No.1.

2008, Sir Paul McCartney was awarded an honorary Doctor of Music degree from Yale University in the United States. Yale's president, Richard Levin, said; The former Beatle had awakened a generation, giving a fresh sound to rock and roll and to rhythm and blues. A band played Hey Jude as Sir Paul, 65, walked on stage to accept his degree.

2008, UK High street chain Woolworths announced it would stop selling CD singles in its stores saying that the format was in "terminal decline" and would be removed from the shelves from August. Sales of CD singles had fallen sharply as the popularity of downloading music from the internet had increased.

2009, A credit card company sued Courtney Love, claiming she owed more than $350,000 (£220,000). In court papers filed in Los Angeles, American Express said it had suspended Love's Amex Gold card after she "failed and refused" to make payments.

2010, Dozens of AC/DC fans needed treatment after complaining of burning eyes during a concert on the runway of Wels Airport, Wels, Austria. Around 150 fans had to be treated. Doctors found that the fans showed allergic reactions to bark mulch spread at the venue – the runway of Wels Airport – to avoid the soil getting too muddy after hours of massive rainfall
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 13:54
May 28th: Born on this day

1910, Born on this day, T- Bone Walker, US blues guitarist, influenced Albert Collins, BB King, Buddy Guy, Freddy King. Died on 16th March 1975.

1917, Born on this day, Papa John Creech – violinist with Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna. Died in 1994 aged 76.

1943, Born on this day, Tony Mansfield, Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas, (1964 UK No.1 & US N0.7 single 'Little Children').

1944, Born on this day, Billy Vera, US singer, (1987 US No.1 single with The Beaters, 'At This Moment' featured in the US TV show, 'Family Ties').

1944, Born on this day, Gladys Knight, singer, The Pips, (1973 US No.1 single 'Midnight Train To Georgia', 1975 UK No.4 single 'The Way We Were' plus 20 other UK Top 40 singles).

1945, Born on this day, John Fogerty, guitar, vocals, Creedence Clearwater Revival, (1969 UK No.1 and US No.2 single 'Bad Moon Rising', plus ten other US Top 30 hits, 1970 US & UK No.1 album 'Cosmo's Factory'). Solo and The Blue Ridge Rangers.

1948, Born on this day, Ray Laidlan, Lindisfarne, (1972 UK No.3 single 'Lady Eleanor').

1949, Born on this day, Wendy O. Williams – singer with The Plasmatics, a New York punk band who had the 1980 UK No. 55 single ‘Butcher Baby’. She died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds on April 6th 1998.

1955, Born on this day, John McGeoch, guitar, member of Magazine, (1978 UK No.41 single 'Shot By Both Sides'). Also worked with Siouxsie And The Banshees, Armoury Show, Public Image Ltd. Died in his sleep 5th March 2004 aged 49.

1959, Born on this day, Steve Harrington (Steve Strange), vocals, Visage, 1980 UK No.8 single, 'Fade To Grey'.

1962, Born on this day, Roland Gift, singer, Fine Young Cannibals, (1989 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'She Drives Me Crazy').

1968, Born on this day, Kylie Minogue, Australian singer, actress, (1988 UK No.1 single 'I Should Be So Lucky' plus over 20 other UK Top 40 hit singles).

1970, Born on this day, Mark Richardson, drums, Skunk Anansie, (1996 UK No.20 single 'Weak').

1970, Born on this day, Jimi Goodwin, (vocals, bass, guitar), Sub Sub, (1993 UK No.3 single ‘Ain’t No Love, (Ain’t No Use'). Doves, (2002 UK No.3 single ‘There Goes The Fear’ and 2002 UK No.1 album ‘The Last Broadcast’).

1981, Born on this day, Mark Feehily, vocals, Westlife, (Irish boy band, scored 12 UK No.1 singles, first UK No.1 1999 'Swear It Again' plus four UK No.1 albums).

1985, Born on this day, Colbie Caillat, American singer-songwriter. 2008 Australian No.1 single ‘Bubbly’. 2009 US No.1 album 'Breakthrough'. (Her father, Ken Caillat, co-produced Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Tusk albums).

May 28th: On this Day

1963, During a UK tour supporting Roy Orbison, The Beatles played at the Gaumont Cinema in Worcester.

1964, Cilla Black was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'You're My World'. The singers second and last No.1.

1964, The BBC received over 8,000 postal applications for tickets for The Rolling Stones appearance on Juke Box Dury.

1966, Herb Alpert And The Tijuana Brass went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'What Now My Love', setting a new American record with four albums in the US Top Ten. The other three were; ‘South of the Border’, ‘Going Places’ and ‘Whipped Cream and Other Delights’.

1966, Percy Sledge started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'When A Man Loves A Woman'. A No.4 hit on the UK chart and No.2 when re-issued in 1987.

1966, All four Beatles spent the day with Bob Dylan in his room at the Mayfair hotel in London, England.

1966, Love appeared at the Whisky A Go Go West Hollywood, California, supported by The Doors.

1969, Rolling Stone Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithfull were arrested at their London home and charged with possession of cannabis, they were released on £50 ($85) bail.

1973, Bassist Ronnie Lane left The Faces and went on to form Slim Chance, (who had the 1974 hit 'How Come').

1976, The Allman Brothers Band temporarily disbanded after Greg Allman testified against Scooter Herring, his personal road manager, who was charged with drug trafficking. Herring was subsequently sentenced to 75 years in prison. An album of previously unreleased live material was issued later in the year under the title 'Wipe the Windows, Check the Oil, Dollar Gas'.

1977, Sting, Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers played together for the first time when they performed as part of Mike Howletts band, Strontium 90 in Paris France.

1977, Heart, Steve Miller, The Eagles and Foreigner all appeared at the Oakland-Alameda County Stadium in California.

1982, Promoter Bill Graham staged a special Vietnam Veterans benefit concert in San Francisco starring The Jefferson Starship, The Grateful Dead and Country Joe.

1983, Actress and singer Irene Cara started a six week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Flashdance...What A Feeling'. Taken from the film 'Flashdance', a No.2 hit in the UK. Cara had also appeared in TV's 'Roots' and 'The Next Generation'.

1983, The four day US Festival '83' took place in California, featuring The Clash, U2, David Bowie, The Pretenders, Van Halen, Stray Cats, Men At Work, Judas Priest, Stevie Nicks, Willie Nelson. INXS, Joe Walsh, Motley Crue and Ozzy Osbourne. Over 750,000 fans attended the festival.

1985, Desert Island Discs radio presenter Roy Plomley died. He devised the BBC Radio series Desert Island Discs in 1941, and went on to present 1,791 editions of the show, which became one of the longest running radio shows in the UK.

1988, George Michael started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'One More Try'.

1988, Aerosmith singer Steven Tyler married his second wife clothing designer Teresa Barrick. The couple announced they were separating due to personal problems in February 2005.

1990, Mitch Mitchell former drummer with Jimi Hendrix took out a High Court action against Private Eye magazine over an allegedly defamatory item.

1995, Hootie & the Blowfish started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album charts with 'Cracked Rear View'. The album went on to sell over 15m copies.

1996, Depeche Mode singer Dave Gahan was rushed to Cedars Sinai Hospital, Los Angeles after an apparent drug overdose. The singer was later arrested for possession of cocaine and heroin.

2000, Britney Spears was at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Oops!... I Did It Again'.

2000, British singer and DJ Sonique started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'It Feels So Good'. She first charted in 1989 with S-Express.

2004, Derek Frigo guitarist from 80’s glam band Enuff Z' Nuff died of a drug overdose aged 36. Two US hit singles ‘New Thing’ and ‘Fly High Michelle.’

2007, The Police kicked off their 152 show Reunion Tour at General Motors Place in Vancouver, Canada in front of 22,000 fans.

2009, Depeche Mode singer Dave Gahan had surgery to remove a cancerous tumour in his bladder. The band who were currently on a world tour cancelled several shows because of the 47-year-old's ongoing health problems.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2011 at 12:59
May 29th: Born on this day

1941, Born on this day, Roy Crewsdon, Freddie and the Dreamers, (1963 UK No.3 single 'You Were made For Me', 1965 US No.1 single 'I'm Telling You Now').

1945, Born on this day, Gary Brooker, Procol Harum, (1967 UK No.1 and US No.5 single 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale').

1955, Born on this day, Mike Porcaro, bass, Toto, (1983 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Africa').

1956, Born on this day, Larry Blackmon, Cameo, (1986 UK No.3 single 'Word Up').

1956, Born on this day, La Toya Jackson, sister of Michael Jackson. Sang backing vocals with The Jackson 5, has released various singles and albums none of which ever charted in the UK.

1958, Born on this day, Marie Fredriksson, Roxette, (1990 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'It Must Of Been Love').

1959, Born on this day, Mel Gaynor, drums, Simple Minds, (1985 US No.1 single 'Don't You, Forget About Me', 1989 UK No.1 single 'Belfast Child', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles).

1961, Born on this day, David Palmer, ABC, (1982 UK No.4 & US No.18 single 'The Look Of Love', plus nine other UK Top 40 singles).

1962, Born on this day, John Pedder, bass, Babybird, (1996 UK No.3 single ‘You’re Gorgeous’, 1996 UK No. 9 album ‘Ugly Beautiful’).

1963, Born on this day, Blaze Bayley, lead vocalist Blaze, Wolfsbane, Iron Maiden from 1994 to 1999.

1967, Born on this day, Noel Gallagher, guitarist, singer, songwriter, Oasis, (first single '1994 UK No.31 single 'Supersonic', 1996 single 'Don't Look Back In Anger', 1994 UK No.1 album 'Definitely Maybe', fastest selling UK debut album ever).

1975, Born on this day, Melanie Brown, (Mel B), Scary Spice, The Spice Girls, (1996 UK No.1 & 1997 US No.1 single 'Wannabe', plus eight other UK No.1 singles, solo 1998 UK No.1 single 'I Want You Back').

1978, Born on this day, Daniel Pearce, vocals, One True Voice, (2002 UK No.2 single 'Sacred Trust / After You're Gone').

May 29th: On this Day

1942, Bing Crosby recorded the Irving Berlin song ‘White Christmas’. It went on to become the biggest-selling single of all time with sales of over 30 million. (It was overtaken by the 1997 Elton John version of ‘Candle In The Wind’.)

1959, The Drifters, Jimmy Reed, Ray Charles and BB King all appeared at the Herndon Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia.

1961, Ricky Nelson started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Travellin' Man'. Sam Cooke turned the song down, the B-side was the Gene Pitney song 'Hello Mary Lou' which became a double A side UK No.1.

1962, Chubby Checker won a Grammy Award for Best Rock and Roll Recording for ‘Let's Twist Again’ and Ray Charles won Best Rhythm & Blues Recording for ‘Hit The Road Jack’.

1963, The Beatles, touring the UK with Roy Orbison, performed at the Rialto Theatre in York.

1965, Bob Dylan's album 'Bringing It All Back Home' was at No.1 on the UK charts, his second UK No.1 album.

1965, The Beach Boys started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Help Me Rhonda', the group's second US No.1. It only reached No.27 on the UK chart.

1967, The Move, Cream, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Pink Floyd, Zoot Money, Geno Washington and The Ram Jam Band all appeared at the Tulip Bulb Auction Hall in Spalding, Lincoln, England. Pink Floyd were only a support band and played in a corner of the shed with a white sheet behind them with the coloured oil shining onto it. Tickets cost £1 ($1.70). The poster advertising the show promised a Knockout Atmosphere.

1971, The Rolling Stones started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Brown Sugar'. It was the bands sixth US No.1, a No.2 hit in the UK.

1971, Three dozen Grateful Dead fans were treated for hallucinations caused by LSD after they unwittingly drank spiked apple juice served at a gig at San Francisco's Winterland.

1975, Fans rioted when The Osmonds appeared at London's Wembley Pool.

1976, Diana Ross started a two week run No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Love Hangover', her fourth US No.1, it made No.10 in the UK.

1977, Manchester band Warsaw, (later to become Joy Division) made their live debut supporting The Buzzcocks at The Electric Circus, Manchester, England.

1977, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Seger, Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Kenny Logins all appeared at the Tangerine Bowl, Orlando, Florida. Tickets cost $10 - $12.50.

1982, Paul McCartney started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Tug Of War'.

1983, US school boy band (which included Bobby Brown), New Edition were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Candy Girl'. Songwriter & producer Maurice Starr discovered New Edition performing at a local talent show. Starr went to produce and write for New Kids On The Block.

1987, Michael Jackson offered $50,000 (£29,412) to buy the remains of the Elephant Man.

1989, John Cipollina from US late 60's band Quicksilver Messenger Service died of emphysema.

1991, After just completing the recording of the 'Nevermind' album, Nirvana played a last-minute show at the Jabberjaw in Los Angeles. In the audience was Iggy Pop, Dave Grohl’s girlfriend and L7 bassist Jennifer Finch who brought along her best friend Courtney Love.

1992, Concerned that some pupils were overly identifying with Freddie Mercury, the sacred heart School in Clifton New Jersey decided not to sing the Queen song 'We Are The Champions', at their Graduation Ceremony.

1992, The FBI recovered 44 nude photographs of Madonna, which had been stolen in America from fashion photographer Steven Meisel.

1993, Janet Jackson went to No.1 on the UK album chart with her fourth LP 'Janet'.

1997, Sharitha Knight filed a suit at LA, Superior Court claiming she was owed $1 million (£588,000) as Snoop Doggy Dogg’s personal manger between 1993–6. The claim alleged that Snoop had withheld the 20 percent she was owed.

1997, Singer songwriter Jeff Buckley disappeared after talking a swim in the Mississippi River, his body was found on 4th June 1997 after being spotted by a passenger on a tourist riverboat.

1997, The Manic Street Preachers won the best song award for 'A Design For Life' at the 42nd Ivor Novello awards. Other winners included The Spice Girls for Hit of the year with 'Wannabe', Elvis Costello for Outstanding contribution to music, George Michael won Songwriter Of The Year and Most Performed work for 'Fastlove.'

1999, Skeletal remains were found by photographers looking for old car wrecks to shoot at the bottom of Decker Canyon near Malibu, California. Based on forensic evidence the remains were Philip Kramer former bassist with rock group Iron Butterfly, who had disappeared on his way home from work on February 12, 1995. His death was ruled as a probable suicide.

2001, The Eagles made their first ever visit to Russia when they appeared at SC Olymisky in Moscow.

2002, A 16ft by 6ft mosaic designed by John Lennon went on display at The Beatles Story museum in Liverpool. The mosaic had been built into Lennon's swimming pool at his Kenwood home in Surrey where he lived between 1964 and 1968.

2002, Australian actress and singer Natalie Imbruglia became the new face of L'Oreal when she signed a deal worth £100,000 ($170,000) with the French cosmetics manufacturer.

2005, Gorillaz scored their first UK No.1 album when ‘Demon Days’ went to the top of the charts.

2005, System of a Down were at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Mezmerize’, also a UK No.2.

2007, A piano used by John Lennon on the night he died was put up for sale for $375,000 (£189,000) on The Moments in Time memorabilia website. The upright grand piano was part of the Record Plant Recording Studios in New York where the former Beatle recorded his 1971 Imagine album. Lennon was said to be so fond of the instrument that he had it moved to whichever studio he was working in and had used the piano hours before being shot on 8 December 1980.

2009, Phil Spector was jailed for at least 19 years for murdering an actress in 2003. The producer, 69, famed for his Wall of Sound recording technique, was last month found guilty of shooting Lana Clarkson at his California home. Spector had pleaded not guilty to the second-degree murder during the five-month retrial in Los Angeles. His lawyers said he would appeal. Spector was given a sentence of 15 years to life for second-degree murder and an additional four years for personal use of a gun.

Edited by monarch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>