Membership Cards
Printed From: The Grove Social Club
Category: The Grove Social Club
Forum Name: Memory Lane
Forum Description: general Grove Discussions & contact old friends
URL: http://www.theGroveSocialClub.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=585
Printed Date: 10-October-2026 at 15:37 Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Topic: Membership Cards
Posted By: tupelopenny
Subject: Membership Cards
Date Posted: 17-January-2008 at 23:00
|
I noticed a lot of people say that they still have their cards.
So lets see them
heres mine
------------- Good Grief, Charlie Brown
|
Replies:
Posted By: RoundaboutToo!
Date Posted: 17-January-2008 at 23:06
good one TP - you haven't changed a bit! (my card was from the days before photo cards)
|
Posted By: maryi
Date Posted: 17-January-2008 at 23:30
|
Likewise - no photo or plastic on mine- wherever it is
TP you were a handsome devil !!!!
------------- mary
|
Posted By: irish_mammy
Date Posted: 18-January-2008 at 06:18
|
Not sure where it is and definitely wouldn't put it up here.
Too scary for people
------------- Lesley
25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.
Grove 1980-1984
|
Posted By: Aries
Date Posted: 18-January-2008 at 08:26
|
As with the above no photo on mine. In fact I don't think photography was invented in 67 --- Was it ??????
What I have noticed however is that they must have re-used membership numbers over and over.
Mine was 1482 and that was in 67/68 and I saw on another thread someone else having a number near that in the 80's.
I wonder idf anyone has the membership books. Now they would make interesting reading.
------------- THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
|
Posted By: Bluebell
Date Posted: 18-January-2008 at 13:07
Aries wrote:
I wonder idf anyone has the membership books. Now they would make interesting reading. |
Wouldn't it be brilliant to get our hands on those books. I wonder if Cecil would know who was in charge of them. It would be a great way to get in touch with alot of old friends from the grove too.
------------- You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
|
Posted By: Fester
Date Posted: 18-January-2008 at 16:49
|
Think this came up before? The main man on the record-keeping side was a lovely old gent called Paul Tighe, of the Tighe butchers family, (still on the corner beside the Sheds at the end of Vernon Avenue). He was Chairman of Belgrove Football Club (for who the Grove was a fundraiser and from whom "The 'Grove" got its name. Paul lived on Mount Prospect Avenue and only passed away a few years ago at a great old age. I remember chatting to him and he said he kept boxes and boxes of Membership details, including Reference Letters!! (I was laughing cos in Chanel it was the old Career Guidance Marist Father that we got references off, if only he knew). Now wouldn't that be a treasure trove of memories to go through over a few pints!
------------- I could have played for Ireland (if it wasn't for the booze and the birds)
|
Posted By: Aries
Date Posted: 18-January-2008 at 18:03
|
I knew a Marlayn Tighe years back who married a friend of mine Kennedy from the top of Brookwood Ave. I believe she was his daughter.
They used to live the far side of Swords from me.
Must check it out as she may know if the family kept the records???
------------- THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
|
Posted By: grainne_witch
Date Posted: 18-January-2008 at 19:37
|
I think I must be part of the 'old' grove membership. I didn't have a photo on mine either! I think I joined in 1978.
|
Posted By: DAYO
Date Posted: 18-January-2008 at 21:33

------------- Dayo
Grov'in 70 - 76
|
Posted By: DAYO
Date Posted: 18-January-2008 at 21:36
|
No picks in my day either Gary but as you can see it was signed by Paul Tighe. Im not sure what year it was I think either 70 or 71
------------- Dayo
Grov'in 70 - 76
|
Posted By: finno
Date Posted: 18-January-2008 at 22:44
My card was same as dayo's apart from the fact that it had my mane and not his....
------------- A man must have a code
|
Posted By: Vinyl Junkie
Date Posted: 19-January-2008 at 00:04
|
finno wrote:
My card was same as dayo's apart from the fact that it had my mane and not his.... |
Ah, the good ould hair swapping days....
Just kidding lads....
------------- TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
|
Posted By: Bluebell
Date Posted: 19-January-2008 at 00:11
Aries wrote:
I knew a Marlayn Tighe years back who married a friend of mine Kennedy from the top of Brookwood Ave. I believe she was his daughter.
They used to live the far side of Swords from me.
Must check it out as she may know if the family kept the records??? |
Gary that would be great if you could do that. I'm sure the family would not mind passing the books over to us. And maybe just an idea at the next grove reunion we could have a book at the door for people to sign their names and address ( from grove days to present ) just to see who is still coming along.
------------- You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
|
Posted By: Fester
Date Posted: 19-January-2008 at 16:30
I'm having a panic attack here. Went to my little souvenir box, old photos etc (especially from photo booths) for a peep at my Grove Card, its not there. Gutted, going to turn the house upside down now until I find it.
------------- I could have played for Ireland (if it wasn't for the booze and the birds)
|
Posted By: Floyd
Date Posted: 19-January-2008 at 20:49
|
Not mine,of course,but she'll murder me for this...

------------- There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
|
Posted By: Vinyl Junkie
Date Posted: 19-January-2008 at 20:53
Does she login here Martin? If she does, you're dead! 
------------- TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
|
Posted By: Stoner
Date Posted: 20-January-2008 at 06:43
I think my membership was thrown out along with all my records. My mam had a big clean out for the 'sale of work' and as I didn't live at home, all gone. 
------------- Impotence; nature's way of saying no hard feelings!
|
Posted By: grainne_witch
Date Posted: 20-January-2008 at 10:42
|
She shouldn't go mad Martin - she hasn't changed a bit!!!
|
Posted By: Floyd
Date Posted: 20-January-2008 at 12:28
Just her name...
------------- There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
|
Posted By: Aries
Date Posted: 21-January-2008 at 09:57
|
Dayo
I noticed your number.
I was 1482
------------- THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
|
Posted By: DAYO
Date Posted: 21-January-2008 at 22:15
I'm just wondering if Lorraine has been telling me fibs about her age all these years because she is no 1265 ????? questions to be asked eh
------------- Dayo
Grov'in 70 - 76
|
Posted By: Aries
Date Posted: 22-January-2008 at 08:03
|
Oops !!
Hope I haven't started something
------------- THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
|
Posted By: irish_mammy
Date Posted: 23-January-2008 at 05:50
Dave, all us women lie about our age, but I think they made a mistake with Lorraines one. Should have been a much much later number
------------- Lesley
25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.
Grove 1980-1984
|
Posted By: Aries
Date Posted: 23-January-2008 at 13:28
|
Dave
Did they not have a different numbering system for guys and girls ??
I think I'm right-were the cards a different colour.
------------- THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
|
Posted By: Grovegirl
Date Posted: 23-January-2008 at 19:45
|
I remember having a green card, which became very tatty, prior to the laminated photo version. So was it green for the gals then?
|
Posted By: Blondie
Date Posted: 23-January-2008 at 20:01
Yep GG mine was green too
------------- Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
|
Posted By: Aries
Date Posted: 23-January-2008 at 20:03
|
And the lads were red.
That explaines why the number sequence is different.
Whew I hope dayo hasn't jumped the gun and sl*gged1265 
------------- THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
|
Posted By: Black Russian
Date Posted: 23-January-2008 at 20:11
Jaysis you learn something new everyday... I didn't know they had "cardboard" back in your days for cars, but now I hear they had laminaters...Wow!!! I reckon they laminated them by someone with glue two pieces of plastic and running an Iron over them 
P
------------- "Legal downloads is killing Piracy"
http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
|
Posted By: Aries
Date Posted: 23-January-2008 at 20:21
|
Black Russian wrote:
Jaysis you learn something new everyday... I didn't know they had "cardboard" back in your days for cars, but now I hear they had laminaters...Wow!!! I reckon they laminated them by someone with glue two pieces of plastic and running an Iron over them 
P
|
Yeh Pete but only for the box they came in 
------------- THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
|
Posted By: Grovegirl
Date Posted: 23-January-2008 at 20:28
|
You're probably right Pete......I suppose it was a 'version' of today's process.
In 'our day' (you're so polite ) it was revolutionary after using layers of sellotape for years to preserve an otherwise desintigrating Grove pass!
|
Posted By: Floyd
Date Posted: 23-January-2008 at 21:12
Still needed sellotape on the plastic one Mary-used it as a plectrum for so long...
------------- There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
|
Posted By: DAYO
Date Posted: 23-January-2008 at 22:27
|
Just as well I dident go there too quickly I would have put my foot in it. I thought green card were for legals in the states. I wonder did those green cards have black & white photo's in the 70's
------------- Dayo
Grov'in 70 - 76
|
Posted By: Aries
Date Posted: 24-January-2008 at 09:05
|
Dayo
Glad you held back-might have been a little previous, if you know what I mean.
------------- THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
|
Posted By: DAYO
Date Posted: 24-January-2008 at 19:39
Ah yea but us older and wiser ones know better than to rush in too quickl y
------------- Dayo
Grov'in 70 - 76
|
Posted By: DAYO
Date Posted: 24-January-2008 at 19:40
Thank god for that
------------- Dayo
Grov'in 70 - 76
|
Posted By: Biker Pat
Date Posted: 24-January-2008 at 20:43
|
Mine is exactly the same as Dayo's.
In our day there was no point taking photos as our hair was so long you couldn't see our faces anyway  
------------- May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Biker Pat
Grove 1972-1975
|
Posted By: Bluebell
Date Posted: 24-January-2008 at 21:05
Biker Pat wrote:
Mine is exactly the same as Dayo's.
In our day there was no point taking photos as our hair was so long you couldn't see our faces anyway   |
I wish my hair had of been long enough to cover my face.....I looked horrible in my pic on my grove membership.
------------- You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
|
Posted By: Esthalon
Date Posted: 11-February-2008 at 11:27
|
BB, can't be as bad as mine...It's hideous. (BR stop reading it's a cut and paste job )
Imagine having to show that at the door every week! You have no idea the embarrassment. You see I always had long hair and as a child my mother dear used to put "Ringlets" in it. Every night curlers going to bed. They were pink curlers and to this day I refuse to wear the colour pink. Anyway because of this I always wanted my hair short, but she wouldn't let me get it cut. Then when I was about 14, she relented and I immediately got it cut as you see it in that picture. That is the shortest I have ever had my hair and that is the ONLY photo I have of that haircut. How stupid was I to use that for the Grove pass. As soon as I got it cut it I started growing it agin cos I hated it and it didn't suit me at all. So it was somewhat longer by the time I started going to the Grove. Why I didn't get another photo taken is beyond me. At the time I obviously had no idea how critical it was to have hair for the Grove. Sure I considered my self a goth when I started going. I soon changed to a hippie though!

------------- Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!
|
Posted By: Rolo
Date Posted: 11-February-2008 at 12:32
|
Eh June...................just wondering if you want me to use all my powers to delete that pic ???  
No problem like !
|
Posted By: Esthalon
Date Posted: 11-February-2008 at 12:35
Thanks, but if you can't laugh at yourself what's the point. Besides if I could survive the embarrassment as a Grove going teen (and believe me it got passed around the alcove several times) , sharing it with you lot is no problem. 
------------- Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!
|
Posted By: Bluebell
Date Posted: 11-February-2008 at 16:37
June thats a great pic on your membership. I had short hair too for a while in the 80's.........it was the fashion for about a year or two, and back then we were all fashion victims so we'd fit in with everyone else.
------------- You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
|
Posted By: Vinyl Junkie
Date Posted: 11-February-2008 at 19:21
Cool pic there June - fair play for sharing. 
------------- TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
|
Posted By: Haviland Tuf
Date Posted: 11-February-2008 at 21:00
I've been searching for my card. I saw it a short time ago and put it away 'somewhere safe'. That is the last I'll ever see of it I fear!
------------- Coincidence, if traced back far enough, becomes inevitable
|
Posted By: grainne_witch
Date Posted: 11-February-2008 at 22:01
|
Great photo June - I remember when that style was in fashion! No photos in my day at the grove. Very frustrating that 'somewhere safe' place HV! I've done that a few times too!!
|
Posted By: DAYO
Date Posted: 11-February-2008 at 22:23
|
Everybody has a safe hiding place but to remember where it was,
That is the hardest bit

------------- Dayo
Grov'in 70 - 76
|
Posted By: Esthalon
Date Posted: 12-February-2008 at 09:34
When I was a kid I hid my Post Office book in a safe place, (think I was around 10). I found it when I was about 18. Loadsa Interest had built up by then on my communion money, Happy days. 
------------- Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!
|
Posted By: Black Russian
Date Posted: 12-February-2008 at 09:36
Haviland Tuf wrote:
I've been searching for my card. I saw it a short time ago and put it away 'somewhere safe'. That is the last I'll ever see of it I fear! |
Same here Col I just find mine anywhere. Keep on looking 
------------- "Legal downloads is killing Piracy"
http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
|
Posted By: Haviland Tuf
Date Posted: 12-February-2008 at 17:08
Someday it will just appear again! Looking smart and happy with itself and laughing at me, the fool, pulling my hair out about it.
------------- Coincidence, if traced back far enough, becomes inevitable
|
Posted By: DAYO
Date Posted: 12-February-2008 at 19:45
|
Hey Joan have you still got your communion money.

------------- Dayo
Grov'in 70 - 76
|
Posted By: Esthalon
Date Posted: 12-February-2008 at 23:13
As I recall I spent it in Santa Ponsa
------------- Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!
|
Posted By: muller
Date Posted: 13-February-2008 at 08:46
Great picture, June. You were cute back then as well. I like the short hair. My fist wife had beautiful long hair in the 80's. One day she got a really short cut with blue and pink streaks and a quiff. It looked fantastic. A bit like Freddie Mercury's transition.
------------- Life is for living
|
Posted By: maryi
Date Posted: 17-February-2008 at 21:20
Did a bit of clearing out today didn't find my grove card but I did find my Man from U.N.C.L.E. badge and ring Ahhh !!! Ilia Kuriakin we were all in love with him and we were only about 8 !!
------------- mary
|
Posted By: RoundaboutToo!
Date Posted: 18-February-2008 at 00:15
Forgot about the Man from U.N.C.L.E. badges Mary - my sister & I collected loads of Smith's Crisp bags to send away for them!
|
Posted By: finno
Date Posted: 18-February-2008 at 09:19
|
RoundaboutToo! wrote:
Forgot about the Man from U.N.C.L.E. badges Mary - my sister & I collected loads of Smith's Crisp bags to send away for them!
|
Now thats a real blast from the past! I had one as well. would always watch it.
Robert Vaughan, David Mc Callum and Leo G. Carroll (was character called Waverly?)
Leo G Carroll was in a great film called "Were No Angels" which was about 3 criminals who "escape" from Devil's Island. Humphry Bogart, Peter Ustinov and Aldo Ray. Bogart was underrated as a comedy actor. Anyone remember the film?
------------- A man must have a code
|
Posted By: Aries
Date Posted: 18-February-2008 at 10:06
|
God, I had the Man from Uncle case with a gun and a badge and a membership card to U.N.C.L.E..
I think there was a telscope and other stuff as well.
Thanks for reminding me 
------------- THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
|
Posted By: muller
Date Posted: 18-February-2008 at 12:55
It's gas, because you had to submit the application form stating your hair and eye colour. That determined whether you were Agent 11 or 2. As an aside, you know David McCallum is in NCIS. One of the fulnkies asked Mark Harmon "I wonder what Ducky looked like when he was younger". To which Gibbs replied "Like Ilia Kuryaken". "Who?" (sigh)
------------- Life is for living
|
Posted By: Blondie
Date Posted: 18-February-2008 at 13:51
|
maryi wrote:
Did a bit of clearing out today didn't find my grove card but I did find my Man from U.N.C.L.E. badge and ring Ahhh !!! Ilia Kuriakin we were all in love with him and we were only about 8 !! |
Mary am so impressed you can spell this I had difficulty saying it at the time !!!!!!!!!!
------------- Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
|
Posted By: Blondie
Date Posted: 18-February-2008 at 13:53
finno wrote:
Leo G Carroll was in a great film called "Were No Angels" which was about 3 criminals who "escape" from Devil's Island. Humphry Bogart, Peter Ustinov and Aldo Ray. Bogart was underrated as a comedy actor. Anyone remember the film?
|
Think I do Finno was it in black and white ???? and they hid in house / attic ?????????
------------- Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
|
Posted By: Rolo
Date Posted: 18-February-2008 at 13:56
|
Never saw the original Finno, but was there a remake with De Niro and Sean Penn ?
In this one they pretended to be priests to assist in their escape, one of whom was called Fr. Brown. Was a really funny moment when they are hiding out in a monastery or something and one of the monks asks Fr. Brown to say Grace Before Meals.
Quick as a flash, De Niro turns to Penn and says......." You're Brown " .
|
Posted By: maryi
Date Posted: 19-February-2008 at 19:00
Blondie wrote:
maryi wrote:
Did a bit of clearing out today didn't find my grove card but I did find my Man from U.N.C.L.E. badge and ring Ahhh !!! Ilia Kuriakin we were all in love with him and we were only about 8 !! |
Mary am so impressed you can spell this I had difficulty saying it at the time !!!!!!!!!!
|
it was written on the package the badge and ring came in - I adored him !! - he is still kinda cute God - I had forgotten about the Smiths Crisps and I think there was an ice cream where you had to keep the stick and send off for other stuff. Bit Hazy on that.
------------- mary
|
Posted By: grainne_witch
Date Posted: 19-February-2008 at 21:05
|
I remember my older sisters had man from uncle badges and cards. They would never share them and I so badly wanted to play!
|
Posted By: maryi
Date Posted: 22-February-2008 at 08:40
|
grainne_witch wrote:
I remember my older sisters had man from uncle badges and cards. They would never share them and I so badly wanted to play! |
Grainne,
Thats sad - if you come to Kerry you can play with mine !!!!
------------- mary
|
|