Print Page | Close Window

SPRING CLEAN - Empty

Printed From: The Grove Social Club
Category: Non Grove Related Stuff
Forum Name: Off Topic Forum
Forum Description: Discuss Anything off topic here - upcoming events etc.
URL: http://www.theGroveSocialClub.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=623
Printed Date: 16-May-2024 at 00:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: SPRING CLEAN - Empty
Posted By: verh
Subject: SPRING CLEAN - Empty
Date Posted: 26-March-2008 at 23:14

Its "that" time of year when we scrub, clear out and shed off excess  -  Enjoy everyone.  REMEMBER to delete and clear out your PMs - clutterfree days ahead...........................................

Or as the Dubliner would say "Empty your drawers Mrs. it is Spring.

V

-------------
Verona

Replies:
Posted By: maryi
Date Posted: 27-March-2008 at 08:43

Verh,

You are quite welcome to come down here to Kerry and declutter to your hearts content !! ( Hope you have a few months to spare )

-------------
mary

Posted By: irish_mammy
Date Posted: 27-March-2008 at 11:25

Sounds like a plan V.

I'm with Mary on this one. Anyone want to declutter my house before next Wednesday (get keys for new house then)

Freebird, Carol????

-------------
Lesley

25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.

Grove 1980-1984

Date Posted: 27-March-2008 at 21:14

Lesley - Just get a few big old sacks, if you are not using it, you dont need it - recycle, give away, send to Blind Shop  -  the feeling when it is finished is just SUPER, or so I keep telling myself - half way there.

Wish you were nearer - we could all help you - you too Mary, but sure maybe that chap from Cork has a few spare hours, nice to get his hands dirty - would LUV to see that LOL

V

-------------
Verona

Date Posted: 28-March-2008 at 12:17
Thanks V, I know I should get rid of a lot of stuff but I'm such a hoarder. (take after my dad) I hate throwing anything away in case "I need it"

-------------
Lesley

Grove 1980-1984

Posted By: Grovegirl
Date Posted: 28-March-2008 at 13:24
 Best of luck with the move, Lesley.

Posted By: DAYO
Date Posted: 28-March-2008 at 14:18

The only way to spring clean is with a skip outside. We probably would all fill 2 with the hording we do.

Good luck moving Mary and dont throw out your old Barry Manalo or Chris De Burg LP's

-------------
Dayo

Grov'in 70 - 76

Posted By: Haviland Tuf
Date Posted: 28-March-2008 at 14:24
I started on my attic, thinking of doing a car boot sale this summer.  Still take a few car loads to shift it all I would say.  (All the same on my way to buy another guitar tomorrow so I just keep adding to it!)

-------------
Coincidence, if traced back far enough, becomes inevitable

Posted By: Evangeline
Date Posted: 28-March-2008 at 14:47

Try putting unwanted stuff on the Dublin Waste free site. I've found it very useful and the stuff usually goes in a matter of days.

http://www.dublinwaste.ie - http://www.dublinwaste.ie

Jen

-------------
"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

Date Posted: 28-March-2008 at 14:50

Can I just say one other thing with regard to clothes collections? If you haven't read the Sunday Mail last week (I think that was the paper it was in), please be aware that a lot of these 'charities' are shipping the clothes to Easter Europe/Russia where they are being sold for profit with only a token donation being made to a legitimate charity, if at all.

I used to give bag of clothes away at the door because it was convenient but after reading that article, I would rather drive the few miles to the Oxfam shop in Malahide with them than let them be sold for profit.

Jen

-------------

Posted By: Grovegirl
Date Posted: 28-March-2008 at 20:30

Echo that, Jen.... I'm very selective now about those 'clothes collections' and I ,like you, would rather drive to Oxfam or Fred's Fashions (V deP) to make sure everything goes to a genuine cause.

Posted By: Vinyl Junkie
Date Posted: 28-March-2008 at 21:45
100% agree with that Jen.  Almost every single day, one of those 'stickers' for another clothing charity comes in the door (how many clothes do they think we have to spare, as a matter of interest?).  We are also very selective as to which charities we put stuff out for nowadays!

-------------
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Date Posted: 28-March-2008 at 22:17

Jen,

What is the story with Dublin Recycle ?  Does stuff like furniture get collected quickly?  Am down to the last room & have a few big BITS want to offload - have you used them personally ? would love to know, many thanks.  Verona

-------------
Verona

Date Posted: 28-March-2008 at 22:36

I've seen stuff go very quickly on that site, V. I have used them myself and there is always a taker. Remember, they're getting the items for free and theyre being taken off your hands for free. It's a win-win situation. Give it a go, you've nothing to lose.

Jen

-------------

Date Posted: 28-March-2008 at 22:39

Jen,

Just looked up that thread - thanks a mill - that is just the thing I wanted -  am going to make a list of the stuff to give away - you are full of ideas, renewed thanks.

Verona

-------------
Verona

Posted By: finno
Date Posted: 28-March-2008 at 23:45
Sorry but yet another "Irish Mail" exclusive turns out to be another non story. A couple of years ago the legit charities were complaining about these so called charities. Now they are that cheeky they no longer leave a bag. All you get is a sticker through the letter box. At least we used to recycle the bags by using them in our recycle bin.
We drop off stuff to Oxfam.    

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 29-March-2008 at 10:45

Originally posted by Grovegirl Grovegirl wrote:

Best of luck with the move, Lesley.

Thanks Mary, just can't wait to move now.

I echo the sentiments of those 'charity capers".

A lot of knitted stuff etc gets sent to Africa. They sell it for themselves and none of it ends up with those who need it.

Puts you off giving anything to charity. I'm very particular now. I give to the Flying Doctors only.

-------------
Lesley

Grove 1980-1984

Posted By: RoundaboutToo!
Date Posted: 05-April-2008 at 01:08
Originally posted by verh verh wrote:

Its "that" time of year when we scrub, clear out and shed off excess  -  Enjoy everyone.  REMEMBER to delete and clear out your PMs - clutterfree days ahead...........................................

V

Great topic Ver!

I've been making a growing list of things to go in Buy & Sell, or free, or recycle. It's great to get rid of clutter and better still if someone else will make use of it instead of dumping it. (Like the Wombles )

We've never put anything on dublinwaste.ie - but have got stuff there for free and in perfect condition.

Date Posted: 05-April-2008 at 13:38

Likewise, Roundy. I got a garden swing for Ciara off that site last year. She was delighted with it and it didn't cost a penny!

Jen

-------------

Date Posted: 05-April-2008 at 14:04
Had a look at that site Dont think there is one down this neck of the woods. Or is anyone aware of other free trade sites?

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: eejit91
Date Posted: 05-April-2008 at 15:38

We do the community garage sales here and I really love it.  In Minerva Park where I live we do it in August and everyone from near or far come in to see what they can get!  You can get some great little buys.  The idea is you clear out your house toys, old dishes old linens or things you just never had use for.  I love it as a way to clear out toys the boys have no use for anymore.  I have put chairs out there and made up to $500 in a day form old purses I no longer use or never used at all.

Does anyone remember when we were small doing the sale or work (I think that is what they were called.  We used to sell all our old dolls clothes and such.  I remember going around the houses asking people if they had anything they wanted to give to the sale.

-------------
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."

Posted By: Caroloz
Date Posted: 06-April-2008 at 04:46

I remember that T!

Verh great topic. I'm a big believer in decluttering, though you'd never know it by my house..it is full of "stuff". I have a rule though, if I haven't used it or worn it for 2 years out it goes. I generally give clothes to the good samaritans and household items to my kids or their friends who are setting up homes. Niamh was overawed at the amount of baby clothes people recycled her direction when  Nikita was born. Baby's grow out of things in a matter of weeks and they are hardly worn so get to be recycled over and over.

Lesley I read in a book if you hold onto stuff you are not using "just in case you need it sometime" you are saying to the universe I wont be able to provide for myself when the need arises, which develops a poverty mentality. By getting rid of unused stuff we are creating space for more stuff to come in :) an abundance mentality. Just a thought for the day!

Posted By: grainne_witch
Date Posted: 06-April-2008 at 10:03

Just in relation to the clothes bags. My dad was a French Polisher and my sister still runs the business. They buy those bags of clothes for €5 a bag. They are sold as bags of rags! You should see some of the clothes - designer labels, sometimes brand new.

My dad found a brand new Magee jacket in one of the bags a few months before he died. He got it cleaned and it fit him perfectly. He got a great kick out of telling people where he got it (much to my mother's embarassment) When he died and it was being decided what he would be dressed in we all laughed and knew he would love it!

I give old clothes to the charity shop here in Carlow since I realised where those bags go.

Posted By: tupelopenny
Date Posted: 06-April-2008 at 11:26
we buy bags of rags here in work as well for cleaning machines, but they are usually cut up into squares, unusable again

-------------
Good Grief, Charlie Brown

Date Posted: 07-April-2008 at 02:25
Finno, I did hear of some countrywide free trade sites - can't find them now but I'll find out during the week.
Buy&sell and Gumtree have free areas.

T, I saw two 'Sales of Work' locally last year by kids selling old toys & comics in their driveway. Great to see it & our kids want to do it this year. One of our neighbours has a sale of work every summer for kids in Africa.

Carol - I read something similar about the clearing out mentality (maybe Feng Shui) that if your attic is cluttered, your life will be too!
Better get my ladder out 'cos ours is a mess  :0

Date Posted: 07-April-2008 at 03:47
yes Roundy..it was a book like that. I found it very inspiring and did a big clean out after reading it and felt fantastic! I have to have a clear space to work in so my desk is constantly being decluttered

Date Posted: 07-April-2008 at 23:05

Ciaran,

That is just great for kids - it teaches them more than they will ever learn in school better i.e. to give than receive, also gives them a great sense of responsibility and pride.

Had one in the driveway here - it was just amazing to think that so much could be made from so little.  All they need are a few trellis tables or similiar, load them up, have LOADS of change and where possible have things priced.  Bakeries are so good (if given enough notice aboud giving breads, rolls, scones, pies etc. always a winner). Plants another winner and literally anything else goes.  Please let us know when the kids are doing it - will you ?

V

Posted By: bfanning
Date Posted: 08-April-2008 at 20:23

This is one good thread, helping to give a kick up the a..... to get the place in order.  Are you encouraging our young people to be young entrepeneurs? If so, am all for it, too many moany people in this country.  Roundabout, hope your kids go for it.

Ben

Date Posted: 09-April-2008 at 01:19
Originally posted by RoundaboutToo! RoundaboutToo! wrote:

Carol - I read something similar about the clearing out mentality (maybe Feng Shui) that if your attic is cluttered, your life will be too!

p.s. I meant our Attic is a mess - not our life I think...

very true Ver, and the supermarkets will gladly donate any bakery goods coming up to their sell by date. Freeze 'em and they'll last

you're right Ben - there's more to garage sales - passing on perfectly good but unwanted toys, interaction with other kids, bargaining - hey! can't wait for a sunny day to do it

Date Posted: 09-April-2008 at 18:59

There is a car boot sale every sunday in the Mart in Tralee.   My lot went up last summer - sold old videos, CD's, soft toys, odd bits of crockery etc.,  They made €300 for Kenya and were so delighted with themselves.   They plan to do it again this year.   

They also collected Golf Balls from the rough on the golf course when they were younger and sold them to the golfers to make money for their holidays.  

Also we have a scheme to collect unsold  magazines from some of the shops and the kids give them to the old folks home and the hospital.   I think Vehr is right - it's better to give than receive and sometimes the best thing you can give is your time.   I know some of the old people who don't have visitors look forward to seeing the kids and telling them stories and the kids certainly benefit.

-------------
mary

Date Posted: 09-April-2008 at 21:24
Originally posted by RoundaboutToo! RoundaboutToo! wrote:

Finno, I did hear of some countrywide free trade sites - can't find them now but I'll find out during the week.
Buy&sell and Gumtree have free areas.

Thanks Roundy that will be great.

Only thing in our attic is our christmas decorations. (apart from the water tank) What does that say?

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 10-April-2008 at 02:45
It says you probably get distracted by shiny things Finno...*LOL*

Posted By: Aries
Date Posted: 10-April-2008 at 11:11

It says you must have a fine big house Finno.

I'm up and down the damn ladder weekly getting different size cases etc for the girls. Having moved house etc there are boxes that I don't have a clue whats in them and guess what ? They can stay there.

Out of sight and all that 

-------------
THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST

Date Posted: 10-April-2008 at 21:49
Truth is its too dificult to get up to so decs are just iinside the access. The shed is an absolute disaster at the moment I cant even get in must get a skip and dig my way in. and kick the mice out as well.

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 11-April-2008 at 21:41

I sorted all my daughter's toys out this morning while she was in playschool and came out with a black sack full of soft toys and another black sack of toys she'd outgrown. Amazing how much stuff a child can accumulate in only four years.

Anyway, having nowhere around the house to leave these bags, I got into the attic to put them away. Wish I hadn't now as it is FULL of stuff. If I put anything else up there the ceiling is going to come down on top of us. Car boot sale is starting to sound like a good idea!

Jen

-------------

Date Posted: 11-April-2008 at 22:10

Jen,

You will make a packet - then spend it all on the 26th - let rip, best of luck with it  V

Date Posted: 22-April-2008 at 20:36

Talking of clear outs - on another thread Will you EVER CHECK YOUR PM BOXES & PRESS the DELETE Button - we might all be getting on but at least the old minds have not gone yet, the retention facets hold the keys.

V

Date Posted: 08-May-2008 at 19:23
VINEGAR  -  One of the best cleaning agents I have discovered for insides of kettles etc. in fact everything, the secret is to use it with lemon - things end up really clean and no, there is not a horrible smell afterwards, the lemony odour takes over.  Try it - it is great.

-------------
Verona

Date Posted: 08-May-2008 at 20:13
Ver use it all the time - great for glass & microwave- God a couple of auld ones with out cleaning tips

-------------
mary

Date Posted: 12-May-2008 at 21:12

Yep - but if you have any more tips to make life easier post them up,

V

Date Posted: 13-May-2008 at 02:35

I take everything people are throwing out, and keep them for the next seniors sale of work beside me. They raise funds for the flying doctors and people will buy almost anything.

I put an ad in a womens magazine last year for old dolls, toys etc and still get people sending me their old dolls. Hopefully the seniors do well with it.

Jen, the bag of toys/cuddly toys would be very much appreciated by your local childrens hospital. A lot of young children are rushed up to Dublin by ambulance and their parents don't get a chance to take their fave toys/dolls.

Same goes for anybody who has old magazines. Your local nursing home would love to receive them. My magazines get read by all and sundry. I don't like giving them to the local doctors surgery cos sometimes people bring them home (must confess I've done that)

There are lots of ways to recycle your old clutter.

-------------
Lesley

Grove 1980-1984

Date Posted: 13-May-2008 at 22:58

Lesley, that's a great idea. I never thought of giving them to a hospital. I'll phone Temple Street and see if they want them. It would make me very happy if I knew they would be appreciated there. Thanks!

Jen

-------------

Posted By: Rolo
Date Posted: 13-May-2008 at 22:59

Nice one Jen.

Catherine used volunteer in the Playroom in Temple Street and they were always happy to take in toys and stuff once they were in good nick.

Date Posted: 14-May-2008 at 08:58
When we came to kilkenny and the girls were smaller thay had stuff like "play Kitchen" and assorted stuff that they grew out of. So we contacted the Womens Refuge and Pauline dropped them off. I feel so lucky that I met Pauline. These poor unfortunates sometimes get away in the clothes they are wearing and the kids have nothing.  

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 14-May-2008 at 10:32
Great idea finno.   Atlas house (womens refuge ) here in tralee is in the same boat - they need clothes, bedding, books and toys and are very appreciative of what they get.   Had a PS1 here no one was using it so I dropped it off with a few games - The teenagers were trilled as mostly they get stuff for young kids.  So if any of you have teenagers who don't need dvd's electronic toys etc., they would love to get them

-------------
mary

Date Posted: 15-May-2008 at 00:16

fINNO.

Can we have the No / Address of the Womens Refuge please ?

-------------
Verona

Date Posted: 14-June-2008 at 20:56

Girls / Boys,

Get your hands on a power hose - they are magic, talk about leaving a patio clean - you could eat your dinner off it (that is of course until the dogs pass by to go to their special place in the corner with their calling card).  One thing that is going on the calender for a regular "do" from now on - very relaxing.

-------------
Verona

Date Posted: 15-June-2008 at 00:37
Originally posted by verh verh wrote:

fINNO.

Can we have the No / Address of the Womens Refuge please ?

The one we dropped the stuff to was in Kilkenny. Not sure where you are but possibly there is one nearer you. but if not will pm you if you want.

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 18-June-2008 at 16:27

Ver

I posted a similar item in the gardens tread.   I love my power washer - Tend to go a bit overboard with it though.   Its great for facia and soffet cleaning and any velux windows - Hubby went mad seemingly I knocked out all the pointing between the paving slabs in the patio !!! ( it was worth it )!!

-------------
mary

Posted By: Biker Pat
Date Posted: 17-June-2009 at 21:18

Timely reminder of Verh's comments.

-------------
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net