Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Grove Reunions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Grove 50th Anniversary Reunion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2019 at 10:15
Gerry it got a makeover in 1970 and the entrance was moved to the front of the building and got a lick of paint as well .
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Sponsored Links

Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2019 at 10:23
Ah fair enough Frank, thanks. I got involved the latter end of 1971 and I never remembered it being as dilapidated-looking as in the pics on here! But that would explain it ...
One of its legs is both the same
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2019 at 23:09
When I first attended The Grove you entered through a small door at the front (opposite to side shown in the photo). At the cloakroom, near the boys jax. Then later the entrance was moved to the near corner on the driveway side where you entered through the snack bar. It was kinda annoying because all of these Hells Angels characters in leather jackets used to park their bikes near the door and then they robbed all the good looking girls that needed a ride home.  There was one in biker in particular that I remember well...his name was Pat Mc Cool something or other.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2019 at 00:02
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2019 at 01:34
Lol Pogue 😂😂😂

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2019 at 09:01
I heard all about him Pogue Approve
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2019 at 11:26
When the Grove started, I was 5 years old.  It was 11/12 years later, before I started going down to St. Pauls.  I do remember when I started going to St. Pauls as a student (the school, not the Grove itself)from around 13 years of age, everyone would be talking about the Grove and could not wait to be let go/get in.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2019 at 15:10
Originally posted by Vinyl Junkie Vinyl Junkie wrote:

When the Grove started, I was 5 years old.  It was 11/12 years later, before I started going down to St. Pauls.  I do remember when I started going to St. Pauls as a student (the school, not the Grove itself)from around 13 years of age, everyone would be talking about the Grove and could not wait to be let go/get in.

There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2019 at 20:58
Everyone in the Old Grove had a spot and rarely ventured far from it. The guys up at Cecil's end probably never laid eyes on the girls at the other end. If you ever ventured out of your area people looked at you funny and thought you were up to something. Kids at the back of the Grove were allowed come up to our end at the stage if they wanted to ask Cecil for a special request or something but it wasn't encouraged Stern Smile At the end of the night we let them get their coats from the cloakroom but that was about it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2019 at 22:39
That actually rings a bell Poguey! There were safe zones, mixed zones, no mans' lands, and areas where it was best not be found in by the regular denizens - the dirty underbelly of the Grove !!!
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2019 at 22:43
Us bikers hung out at the womens jacks
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2019 at 22:47
The prime spot, Pat
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2019 at 09:04
I think that it carried on a bit the same in Pauls (not bikers hanging around womens toilets Smile ) but everybody had there little spot and you knew where to look for people
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2019 at 09:40
Yeah, we'd start kinda in the middle then quickly gravitate to the back of the hall, just the odd foray up the front to check out the action (this in Belgrove) ...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2019 at 16:55
Yep, in St. Pauls - we hung out down the back and/or in the alcove.  Rarely, if ever, ventured up towards the stage - would head to the stage via the corridor (less crowded for starters).  Once I ventured up near the stage and asked a girl to dance, and we stayed together for the slow-set and I thought I was in, even though she was into disco apparently.  She said she was heading to the jacks at the end of the slow set and fecked off with some other bloke.  I reckon I wasn't, erm, "experienced" enough for the girl.  Lucky escape I suspect - I can't remember the girls name but my mates, for some reason, called her Daisy - I have no idea why to this day. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2019 at 19:12
That's cos you were her little petal Poguey ... Or maybe something to do with your stem !!!

Lol, only joking lol, I had as many rejections, dumpings etc, in and through the Grove as any lad could reasonably expect in a lifetime!!! But I also met some fabulous girls that I will remember when I'm a very old man ...

Great memories all the same ...
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2019 at 19:14
HAY! that was not me who was rejected, it was the V Junkie. I have enough rejection of my own to take credit for. My best rejection ever was asking a girl up to dance and she looked out the window and said " eh...has hell frozen over again?"  Not really --I was never rejected...ever...cross my heart.Sleepy
I probably posted this on here before; The best rejection I ever heard was when my friend Bubbles White asked a girl to dance in the old Flamingo Club (Cecil's Wednesday night establishment in O'Connelll Street) and her reply was " NO -I'm sweating like a pig". She kinda looked like one too, in my humble opinion, but Bubbles wasn't fast enough to get that out.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2019 at 22:19
Yep - was me with the "Daisy" rejection alright.  Speaking of rejections - Chris Rooney, from on here, used to have some good ones - "Are ya dancing?".  "Yeah".  "Great, can I have your seat".
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2019 at 01:36
Whatever happened to Chris Rooney VJ? I miss his jokes. At least I think they were supposed to be jokes."Did you hear about the bike with no wheels ?---it was broke"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2019 at 20:56
I still chat with him from time to time on "Messenger" on Facebook but he seems to have gone almost totally Radio Silent on the FB public forums, including the Grove main page and Grove radio page (and on here).  In fairness, a lot of the old crew have stopped posting here unfortunately.  Next time, I chat to him, I'll encourage him to get back on here and share some "jokes"...Lovely bloke, but he hasn't been at the last 2 reunions.  Last one he attended was, I think, the 50th bash in St. Pauls. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>