Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > The Grove Show on Near FM 90.3
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Grove Radio Show on Near FM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
Author
Really Really Senior Member
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2019 at 11:41
Gerry thanks as always for the continued support. We couldnt do it without you guys. Its been great to be part of it and get to know you all. Pat I was very grateful the night at one of the reunions that you introduced me to all the crew. What a great bunch of people.

The ome thing about the show is that I have continuedy musical education that Cecil originally gave us all and learned alot about different styles and genres through all the various playlists. I had to pinch myself the first time I led the show when Cecil was on last year. After all the songs he played for us it was a great feeling to be part of helping to air his playlist and also to get to know him a bit more. I would say Cecil was one of the biggest influences in my life apart from my direct family. He said to me that the music was already in us all and he was just drawing it out. Thats very modest of him but there was alot more to it than that in my view!

Edited by Sister1 - 03-August-2019 at 11:47
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2019 at 12:39
Brian,

You're right re the sequence of the first shows.

I forgot Lesleys was recorded and played later.

So Muller and I have the honour of being the first 'live' act of the show.

Now I understand how Quo felt when they opened the LIVE AID concert.

Seriously, it was an honour and privilege to be the first act. We had great fun and Peter and Lynne were super and supportive that night.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2019 at 16:01
Very well said Sister1 above..brings a tear to my eye.

It’s unprecedented for any club from the 60s to have its very own radio show and especially with the original DJ and members as guests to relive those precious times.  The radio show, reunions, forum (around 15 years old now?) and Facebook are testament to how Cecil and the Grove affected us all. There must be millions…I mean –at least 5 members posting on the forum nowSmile).

Thanks to the founders, organizers and members of the above for continued good times – sniffle

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 03-August-2019 at 16:06
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2019 at 20:21
G'wan Pogue, ya bollix - I detect a little sniffle of nostalgia in there ...

Actually, I would always have claimed to have no interest in the past etc - what's happened one second ago can't be reclaimed etc...but dammit, getting involved with the Grove stuff has - on occasion - brought me back in time to years ago - there is a certain amount to be said for it I have to say - reminds me a small bit of what it was like to have hair, a working mickey, no halitosis etc ... Godammit Pogue, look what you've started now ...
One of its legs is both the same
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2019 at 15:34
Nostalgia? Did I mention that in two years I'll be married to the same Grover for 50 years?
Sheezy!-Why didn't I go to the Flamingo that night?

Or as Benny Hill used to say -"25 years ago I almost killed her, almost killed her...sniff...The thing is I'd be getting out now".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2019 at 16:46
Lol Poguey . But 48 years now, that's some great achievement Pogue. I notched up 35 years in June this year. We're gluttons for punishment!

You know the other variation on the Benny Hill joke: Married for 35 years? Sure you'd get less for murder ...
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2019 at 17:05
I lied, It's actually not 2 years until my 50th, it's 2 years, 12 days , 7 hours, 34 minutes and 46 seconds...45...44...43...42...41...Unhappy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2019 at 20:45
Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2019 at 09:27
Or the old joke Brendan Grace used to tell - married now for 40 years, happily married for 25 years....
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2019 at 11:40
Lol Brian - lots of variations on the long-married thing - but most, if not all of us who are in that happy position wouldn't change it ... Well ... Probably not ...πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2019 at 12:36
I compare marriages to vinyl records.

You can have an album which plays longer or a single which is shorter.

And I've seen the needle and the damage done.

Just kidding πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2019 at 12:52
Lol Pat, what about the streaming devices...
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2019 at 13:52
A woman marries a man for who he is then spends the rest of her life trying to change him.
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2019 at 13:55
Originally posted by Rahenyrhythm Rahenyrhythm wrote:

Lol Pat, what about the streaming devices...

I read that as "screaming" devices Big smile
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2019 at 14:25
Like a worn record πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2019 at 17:14
lads...
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2019 at 13:55
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2019 at 14:35
Would'nt agree with some of those songs being in the worst ever category.

But I agree there are some right tripe listed as well.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2019 at 21:58
Fully agree, and fully agree Pat! Two quotes that always apply:

"beauty is in the eye of the beholder" ; and also " music is any combination of sounds that pleases the ear".

So, whatever you like, is great; whatever you don't like, isn't; but the other guy could have the opposite view, and he's right too...
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2019 at 11:20
the Grove radio show is back this Friday night at 21:30 hrs.,and as the show has reached its 7th year,this show will be reliving some memories from the past 7 years...its going to be interesting.
upon us all,a little rain must fall
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>